New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu?

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
tsf
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/09 12:08:51 (permalink)
So I guess I shouldn't really be concerned abouut the PCI/Cardbus if I do go with the 1820m or 1616m. Has anyone actually used or heard the finished "results" from the Tascam 1804? Jim - I read the article you gave the link to on the other Tascam product, but I'd also like to hear from any of you if you've had experience with it. (Maybe even your preference, soundwise, compared to the EMUs.)

I still think the 1820m or 1616m might win out, but the 1804 is looking more and more tempting. I'm kind of torn, primarily because the 1804 is firewire, plus it has sync capbilities (should I ever need it), though I'm guessing the converters aren't as good as the EMUs. I don't think I'd need more than two analog outs so that shouldn't (hopefully) be a problem.
tsf

post edited by tsf - 2005/06/09 19:34:02
Jim Wright
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1218
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/09 20:46:25 (permalink)
tsf -- I would be shocked if the Tascam 1804 sounded as good as the 1212M/1820M.
From the 1804 owners manual (available on the Tascam US web site):

THD (at maximum input level)
< 0.007% (normal FS) 1 kHz, MIC/LINE IN to STEREO OUT
< 0.009% (Hi FS) 1 kHz, MIC/LINE IN to STEREO OUT

Frequency response (at nominal level)
20 Hz - 20 kHz (normal FS) +0.5 dB/–1.0 dB, MIC/LINE IN to STEREO OUT
20 Hz - 40 kHz (Hi FS) +0.5 dB/–1.5 dB, MIC/LINE IN to STEREO OUT

S/N ratio
> 97 dB (normal FS) MIC/LINE IN to STEREO OUT, TRIM min
> 91 dB (Hi FS) MIC/LINE IN to STEREO OUT, TRIM min

The Tascam has a better frequency response at high (96K) sample rates ... but the 1820M has a much, much better dynamic range, and likely lower distortion as well. Which doesn't mean the Tascam is a bad product -- just that Emu converters and analog circuitry are excellent (equaled/bettered by Apogee or RME Fireface, I'd guess, but not by anything else in your price range). The EMU drivers, on the other hand ..... well, I'm about to find out !

- Jim
LixiSoft
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/10 08:43:35 (permalink)
Lixi, what other external converters have you experimented with..................JDW

I have heard most of them, but most of them were more than I was willing to pay.
I have owned the following in order from what I thought was best to worst.......

EMU 1820M
MOTU 1224
MidiMan Flying Cow
Korg AD/DA (only 20bit but sounded good)
MOTU 2408 MKII

I wanted to buy a BENCHMARK, but it was only stereo, and I wanted to get into 5.1 mixing so I needed at least 6 I/O's, and the BENCMARK @ $900 did not offer a good return on investment. Check out the BENCHMARK if you only need 2 I/O, it sounds great.

LixiSoft
LixiSoft
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/10 08:48:52 (permalink)
Does that mean that you're using the ADAT for syncing as well?

Yup, thats all I use. Sounds good to me. Years ago I had a Digital mixer that I synced with the BNC or with the ADAT, both ways sounded the same to me. So I went back to the ADAT I/O's as it was easier.

LixiSoft
tsf
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/10 12:38:06 (permalink)
Regarding the MIDI interface on the 1616m, I noticed that on the 1616m microdock, it is one rectangular shaped connector as opposed to two round ones (in/out) as on the 1820's Audiodock. The way I've used MIDI in the past is by using the round connectors. Are there cables that are available that would convert from the two in/out cables into one for the 1616? Thanks.
tsf
johndale
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3228
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/10 12:46:52 (permalink)
I wanted to buy a BENCHMARK, but it was only stereo, and I wanted to get into 5.1 mixing so I needed at least 6 I/O's, and the BENCMARK @ $900 did not offer a good return on investment. Check out the BENCHMARK if you only need 2 I/O, it sounds great.

I can live with 2 outs. But I need upward expandability for the Ins. Any suggestions. I think I'm talking quite a bit of money.....................JDW
j boy
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2729
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/10 12:49:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tsf

Regarding the MIDI interface on the 1616m, I noticed that on the 1616m microdock, it is one rectangular shaped connector as opposed to two round ones (in/out) as on the 1820's Audiodock. The way I've used MIDI in the past is by using the round connectors. Are there cables that are available that would convert from the two in/out cables into one for the 1616? Thanks.
tsf

Yeah, I noticed that too. The units will ship with an adapter from the D-connection that will terminate in two regular DIN plugs for MIDI in and out. I think the Presonus Firebox does this also. IMO I'd prefer built-in DIN connectors, but I guess it's not a deal-killer. Must be to keep the size as compact as possible...what manufacturers forget is that all these little separate dingles stand a chance of getting lost or misplaced by careless musicians like ourselves.

BTW - I'm in line waiting for my 1616M to ship from Musician's Friend (now supposed to be July 1st).
tsf
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/10 13:37:06 (permalink)
Speaking of losing or misplacing the connector, do you think EMU is going to sell the microdock separately at some point? I wouldn't want to find myself a year down the road with a broken microdock unit (even if it was my fault), only to have to purchase the entire 1616m package, including the pcmcia card.
tsf
urock
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 501
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/10 14:16:24 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: urock

ORIGINAL: Jim Wright

For another take on the 1820M --
Cakewalknet.com just published a very lengthy review: http://www.cakewalknet.com/index.php?page=article/show&article=92995c34d22358f5d8dc2d51dfa06f6f

The reviewer acknowledges various issues; the worst (in his view) was that if a flaky plugin crashed, the 1820M ASIO driver would hang, requiring a reboot. That said, he experienced very few problems with Sonar 4 -- unless he used a particular plugin he liked, but knew was flaky. EMU verified the bug and said it would be fixed in the upcoming driver release (whenever that is).

FWIW, the reviewer seems to be having other problems with his unit. See http://www.productionforums.com/emu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3362

Best,

urock

For those who think that the E-mu driver "peculiarities" have been exaggerated, check out the recent posts in the thread I reference above (discussing problems experienced by the Cakewalknet reviewer that have taken place after he posted his review). The 1820m sounds sooo good but it can be sooo frustrating for some users.

Once again, I'll repeat my mantra that I hope the new drivers (supposedly this month) fix the quirks and hope you guys purchasing now don't experience any problems.

Best,

urock
post edited by urock - 2005/06/10 14:19:30
johndale
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/10 17:29:21 (permalink)
I'll just never forget. After hours of recording or that perfect take.

..........................................JDW
Jim Wright
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/10 20:41:51 (permalink)
urock --

Thanks for the heads-up on Rick Paul's latest posts. He's definitely having a frustrating time of it.

A number of points jumped out at me while reading the thead.
* He's using the same machine for everything, from web surfing to audio work
* It's an aging machine -- 3.5 years
* He's got a VIA chipset
* He's running XP Home
* He's using XP SP2
* He's uninstalled/reinstalled drivers multiple times
* He's not willing to reinstall everything (from the OS up) from scratch

I'm not blaming Rick. None of these things are necessarily unreasonable. Having reformatted drives to "bare metal" and reinstalled everything more times than I care to recall, I'd rather not do that either. However -- all of these things are potential trouble spots to me.

When using a machine for both music and other things, I'd definitely dual-boot, and keep a clean configuration for music work.

Every so often, I just bite the bullet and reinstall the OS. These days, I do it by restoring from an image (DVD); it's much less painful than actually reinstalling each bit of software by hand. Why? Over the course of time, all kinds of 'digital cruft' accumulates in a system: at work, we call it "bit rot". I find all kinds of things just work better after doing a clean sweep.

Given that 1.60 drivers apparently worked quite well for him, problems broke out after installing 1.7x, and attempting to revert back to 1.6 hasn't worked out -- my first tack would be to nuke the drive and reinstall. I understand he's got copy-protected software, and this magnifies the pain.... but it may be what he needs to do to get the EMU card to work reliably. A major PITA, no doubt about it -- but if that's what's really needed, doing anything else is just a waste of time.

XP Home may or may not make a difference. Ditto for SP2 (although I'm concerned about it's aggressive security mechanisms, in a DAW environment).

The EMU drivers clearly need some serious work. Getting an EMU card to work in your system may require substantially more effort than getting other cards to work (including doing things, like reinstalling the OS and using a dual-boot setup with a minimalist music configuration). People who aren't willing to take that on should think carefully before getting an EMU card -- at least until new drivers (hopefully) appear and are found to work reliably in a broad range of systems.

My 1820M is arriving on Monday. I'm just starting to put the new DAW together (inlaws are coming this weekend), and probably won't even get to install the 1820M for another week. I will be taking extra care, keeping extra notes, and burning extra 'image' DVDs along the way.

Keeping my fingers crossed, but hopefully not my signals.....

- Jim
johndale
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/10 22:04:26 (permalink)
Jim, the thing is "Spooky". Some of things it will do don't even make sense to EMU. Be prepared. And there is no pattern to it. Some things are obvious. Then sometimes it will be working great and all of a sudden. My date on my CPU is 1/05 so age does not seem to make a difference and you know I'm Intel.....................JDW
urock
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/10 22:20:21 (permalink)

My 1820M is arriving on Monday. I'm just starting to put the new DAW together (inlaws are coming this weekend), and probably won't even get to install the 1820M for another week. I will be taking extra care, keeping extra notes, and burning extra 'image' DVDs along the way.

- Jim

Best of luck Jim. Hope your system works without problem. You'll appreciate the sound quality instantly as soon as you playback something through those magnificant D/As. ICHi posted in that forum something to the effect that the updated drivers were now out of E-mu's hands which seemed to imply that they had finished them and passed them on (I'm guessing to Creative for whatever they have to do for the unified driver implementation). Maybe you'll be treated with new drivers to go along with your new machine next week.

Best,

urock
post edited by urock - 2005/06/10 22:23:00
rickpaul
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/11 19:07:11 (permalink)
Thanks to Jim Wright for pointing this post out to me. I don't often do web forums (I'm a regular in the cakewalk.audio newsgroup, though), so hadn't seen this thread, but see it mentions my review of the 1820M and some recent intermittent problems I've had with the AudioDock powerup. I figured I should try to weigh in on my situation and where I stand on the 1820M at the forest level since sometimes trees-level issues can get intense enough that they seem to be the forest.

First thing is that I still consider the review I did at CakwalkNet.com, which is at http://www.cakewalknet.com/index.php?page=article/show&article=92995c34d22358f5d8dc2d51dfa06f6f&PHPSESSID=ac5f0fd6a526dc8f98ad8562f6cf153b, to be accurate. While the net of that review was pretty positive about the 1820M, I also made the following comment in the summary section of the review:
Sure, there are some niggles, a few of them of non-trivial concern. If I were running a commercial studio, where time is money and directly impacts customer satisfaction, I might be tempted to settle with a lesser product, or a much more expensive one if budget allowed, to avoid the risk the most serious of these (i.e. the ASIO hang on a DAW crash) posed. Then again, if I were running that type of studio, I'd be all the more careful about what plug-ins I allowed on my system, and one that sounded great but had a high risk of crashing my DAW probably wouldn't be in operation in front of paying customers.

For my environment, though, time decidedly does not translate to money (unfortunately). Thus, quality of results and functionality, including providing for future growth -- oh yeah, and keeping budget as tight as possible -- are much bigger concerns. In that scenario, which I'd guess applies to a fairly significant portion of CakewalkNet readers, the E-MU 1820M has raised the expectations bar. That is really good news for DAW users, though probably decidedly less so for E-MU's competitors.

While the problem that has been mentioned, and become fairly intensely discussed recently, on the E-MU forums at http://www.productionforums.com/emu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3362 surfaced after the review was in the approval cycle, specifically at the time I loaded the 1.71 versions of the drivers and PatchMix DSP, and thus the details of my coment above might have changed slightly, the net summary remains the same. That is, for my environment, the 1820M gives me great quality results and functionality, and provides for areas I see as possible considerations for future growth (e.g. higher sample rates, possible video work, surround production, and even tracking multiple concurrent musicians). But, as of the current state of the drivers in general, and the overall package on my particular system, I'd be somewhat leery of using the 1820M in a time-is-money studio. It would still be mainly because of the locking of the ASIO drivers if SONAR (or another ASIO app) crashes, which is supposedly resolved in the upcoming drivers, which I gather are imminent (and I was on the phone with an E-MU support guy who'd contacted me about my current issue just yesterday afternoon). However, the other issue would also cause me some concern because, though things run great when the AudioDock is work, which is most of the time, if the non-powerup thing does arise, the time it has taken to recover from it to get everything back working all the way (i.e. AudioDock powered up and sound coming out of the actual audio outputs) can be unpredictable.

If you want more details on the recent problem I've been seeing, you can read about it extensively at the above-referenced address, and I will also be posting any significant updates to that thread. However, let me try and briefly describe it here for those who want a quick summary:

Every once in a while -- the last three weeks it has happened once a week, approximately a week apart -- after the AudioDock has been working normally for whatever period of time before that, the AudioDock will not power up after a cold boot. A soft reboot will restore the power, but, though PatchMix is showing audio going to the audio outputs, none will be heard at the actual audio outputs. There are other scenarios where this no actual audio output can happen (e.g. after a driver upgrade), and there are two potential solutions to it. One is toggling the sample rate (e.g. from 44.1k to 48k and back), which does not require a system reboot. The other is running the E-MU "Restore Defaults" program, which sets everything back to default settings, which does require a reboot. At least in my situation, when the lack of actual audio output has come directly after a failure of the AudioDock to power up, the toggling sample rate solution does not restore audio, so I've had to run the Restore Defaults program to try and get audio back. This means a reboot is required.

Prior to having installed the 1.71 drivers, this non-powerup situation occurred a small number of times. I don't recall if I mentioned it in the review or not because, at the time, I didn't consider it all that significant because running the Restore Defaults program, then rebooting would clear it up first time every time. (And I know I did mention having to run that from time to time with the loss of audio.) However, after loading the 1.71 drivers, I found, be it coincidence or related to the 1.71 drivers, that often, after running Restore Defaults and rebooting, the next boot up would result in the AudioDock's not powering up again, thus placing me back at square one. And, as of the moment, I still haven't figured out any definitive pattern for when it will and when it won't power up after this situation has occurred (or, for that matter, when it does and doesn't power up after running just great for a week or whatever). The lack of predictability here on when it will occur, even if that is rare compared to when it won't occur, and how long it will take to get back to sanity after it does occur, is the bigger concern for me than that it has occurred at all.

In the last week or so, I learned that some new issues were discovered in the 1.71 drivers that might have explained my problem, and that E-MU was making the 1.60 drivers available again for any users who might be experiencing similar problems. At the time I learned about this, the unit was working, so I wanted to just leave things as they were until such time as they failed again. That happened Thursday night, almost exactly one week after the last time it happened. I regressed to the 1.60 drivers, thinking that might cure the problem first time like it had done when I'd originally been on the 1.60 drivers, but didn't get the AudioDock back to full operation that night after several rounds of Restore Defaults and rebooting (both soft and hard reboots). However, it did come fully back to life Friday morning, and has been operating fine since then, across several reboots. At this point, I don't know if the 1.60 driver regression will get me back to where I'd been prior to the 1.71 drivers, and the experience in trying to get things back to life the first night happened just because it took a few rounds to clear out something that was a remnant of having been using the 1.71 drivers all day and to the point of the problem, or whether it was just a coincidence that things cleared up in a half day this time (versus 3.5 days the previous time) and next time it happens it may take longer. Also, the 1.80 drivers are imminent, whether that means a few days away or a few weeks away, so it's possible that may affect things if/when I install those.

Late yesterday a technical person (not sure if he was a support guy or an engineer) at E-MU contacted me to get actively involved in trying to resolve the problem. From our phone conversation, it appears his main suspicion is that something in the hardware may be flaky on my unit. He has suggested a course of action intended to try to either confirm this suspicion or eliminate the possibility the hardware is the cause of the problem, and I've agreed to his plan as being a reasonable next step for troubleshooting this. Unfortunately, the next steps in this may take awhile, partly because of my schedule between now and July 5th, and partly because, as the problem is intermittent, you can't really know definitively when it has disappeared, only when it has not, and it could be a week, or even more, between occurrences. At any rate, I am satisfied that his plan makes sense, and, however, long it takes to get to the next step -- and I'd guess on the order of a month -- I will pursue that route.

For my part, I would not bet on or against the hardware's being the issue, though I'd lay higher odds to the hardware's being the issue for why it sometimes doesn't power up for no seeming reason and the driver's being the issue for why it then sometimes becomes tough to recover quickly. On the side of the hardware's being the problem on the powerup issues, I do have one colleague who has an 1820M, and he indicated he had some initial powerup problems, but then that E-MU replaced the AudioDock and he hasn't had any since. On the side of the drivers is what seemed like a clear behavioral change when having to resolve the issue between the earlier 1.60 drivers and the newer 1.71 drivers. However, that wouldn't necessarily explain the lack of powering up in the first place, and it could always be just a coincidence that things were getting worse in something and so it became trickier to resolve and more frequent. The next week or so may give some clue on whether reverting to the 1.60 drivers has changed the empirical frequency of the thing. Whatever it is, though, I will be glad when we get to the bottom of it and get it resolved, and I hope that resolution will be helpful for any others who may be experiencing similar issues in the future.

For the record, I have no relationship with E-MU other than being a (mostly) happy user of the 1820M, a "jury's still out" beginning user of Emulator X, having reviewed the 1820M for CakewalkNet, and planning to review the next update of Emulator X (timing TBD, but I think late Summer or early Fall) for CakewalkNet. Oh yeah, and I think I owned an SB16 once upon a time. ;-) I'm aware of the Audigy history, but never considered that to be anything more than a gamer's card anyway (I was using either a Sonorus STUDI/O card or an MOTU 2408 mkII at the time), so my reaction to all that hullabaloo was more or less, "what do you expect?". (Though I will admit to having used even lower end consumer cards as MIDI interfaces -- in fact, I did that, alongside my trusty old ISA format Roland MPU 401/MIF-IPC from back in 8086 days, until earlier this year when I started using the E-MU 1802M's MIDI ports and finally removed the ancient, but still working, MPU from my system.)

Last thing I'll mention. Someone mentioned qualifications needed to write for a free e-zine, I suppose implying my CakewalkNet review carried no credibility. I'll let the review stand on its content, as with anything I write, be it in a free e-zine, in a newsgroup or discussion forum, via e-mail or whatever. However, FWIW, I spent about 15 years working in the computer industry in various positions that straddled technical and marketing roles, including product management, leading a small custom software shop, helping software vendors port their applications between platforms, designing solutions for complex problems spanning multiple vendors' products and multiple technologies, and lots more. I've also been a lifelong singer, musician, songwriter, and recordist (my earliest multitracking used two cassette decks), and have been a full-time songwriter (and whatever else it takes to get the songs out there, including producer, singer, musician, publisher, etc.) since mid-1997 with the roughly year before that split about half time between the computer industry and music industry. I've been using MIDI since the original DX7 came out, and jumped into computer-based MIDI when the state-of-the-art processor of the day was an 8086. I've been using SONAR since day one (and CWPA9 before that -- prior to that my sequencer of choice was MasterTracks Pro Audio, and I used the SAWse audio component of that, along with Samplitude Basic and N-Track studio for awhile prior to moving to the Cakewalk camp). I suspect a fair amount of that experience just might be somewhat applicable to reviewing computer-based music products.

Rick
post edited by rickpaul - 2005/06/11 19:12:04

====================================
Rick Paul
Web: http://www.rickpaulmusic.com/
System:  ASUS X99-Deluxe, i7-5820K, 16 GB RAM, Win10Pro x64,  MOTU 828x, SONAR Platinum
urock
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/12 00:16:58 (permalink)
Rick,

I own an 1820m. I'm sorry you are having issues with your 1820m and hope you and E-mu can work it out. After your review had been referenced, I pointed to your thread as an example of the mysterious frustrations that occur for some users after the initial period (where you are so excited by how friggen good the thing sounds and how cheap it is). Anyway, bring on the new drivers!

Best,

urock
Jim Wright
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/13 20:41:45 (permalink)
Well, it appears that the new drivers may have appeared: http://www.productionforums.com/emu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3643. They've been posted on the Creative website in Asia:

See: http://www.asia.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp?Product_ID=10498&Product_Name=E%2DMU+0404&OSName=Windows+XP&OS=10&DriverType=0&details=1

And scroll down to Drivers. The name of the file is EmuPMX_PCDrv_L4_1_71_21.exe (Different from E-mu's official 1.71 which is EmuPMX_PCDrv_L4_1_71_03.exe).

The details state:

Driver patch V1.8 contains the following feature enhancements and fixes:

Driver Version 5.12.1.1102
Feature Enhancements:
• Improved ASIO / WDM recording performance during bursts in PCI bus activity, in order to eliminate recording dropouts
• Improved ASIO driver behavior when used with Sonar
• ASIO driver now fully recovers after an ASIO application crashes or is abnormally terminated
• Improves PCI performance by automatically setting optimal PCI Latency values for the DAS hardware
• Improved efficiency of PCI bus utilization, to allow for better recording performance on systems with other PCI-intensive devices (such as Effect Accelerators, SATA hard disk drives).

Fixes:
• Fixed bug where Cubase SX would not accept sample rate changes from PatchMix DSP
• Fixed bug where Sonar would crash when using ASIO at a sample rate that was not the same as PatchMix DSP
• Fixed a bug introduced in driver V1.71 affecting 1212m, 1820 and 1820m , where symptoms may incude AudioDock not responding correctly and External Clock not functioning

Several bits of mystery -- 1) they're not posted on the US (or European) sites yet; 2) the file name suggests version 1.71xxx, but the change history clearly says V1.8; 3) there's no new PatchMix version -- just drivers -- and no information concerning which version of PatchMix should be used with the 1.8 driver version. (From scanning previous change histories, it seems like PatchMix V1.6 might be appropriate, rather than 1.71, since all the 1.7x changes were for the 0404, and 1.71 has apparently been bad news for folks like Rick Paul.

ICHi has posted:
For those of you who played with the betas uninstall everything, reinstall from CD then update to 1.80.

For users of 1.0, 1.5, 1.6, or 1.71 you can update directly.

- but hasn't addressed the 'mystery issues' mentioned above.

I'm posting this here (rather than starting a new thread) because it seems premature to announce new drivers have arrived until there's an official release and PatchMix-related details up on the US website. Still -- seems promising!

FWIW -- my 1820M arrived today, and so far is behaving exactly as expected -- sitting quietly in its box, since the DAW isn't assembled yet

- Jim
Jim Wright
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/14 09:41:03 (permalink)
Per my post here, ICHi has cleared things up.
  • The recommended combination is driver patch V1.8 and PatchMix patch 1.71a, for 1212M/1820/1820M
  • The drivers on asia.creative are fine. They'll appear on the US servers in a day or so. ICHI: "It's just process".
- Jim
rickpaul
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/14 13:18:20 (permalink)

Several bits of mystery -- 1) they're not posted on the US (or European) sites yet; 2) the file name suggests version 1.71xxx, but the change history clearly says V1.8; 3) there's no new PatchMix version -- just drivers -- and no information concerning which version of PatchMix should be used with the 1.8 driver version. (From scanning previous change histories, it seems like PatchMix V1.6 might be appropriate, rather than 1.71, since all the 1.7x changes were for the 0404, and 1.71 has apparently been bad news for folks like Rick Paul.

Assuming it is not just coincidence that the frequency of, and time to recover from, the non-power up situation seemed to increase with the 1.71 upgrade on my system, I think it would likely be the 1.71 drivers, not PatchMix, that was causing the problem. After all, when the power state of the AudioDock gets toggled is pretty early in the WinXP bootup process -- when the Windows logo is on the screen -- and I'm pretty sure PatchMix starts a fair bit after that stage of bootup.

I haven't tried the new drivers yet (I'm still running 1.60 drivers with the 1.71 PatchMix at this point, and there have been no further power-up failures on my system since Thursday night), but I'd guess that, if it doesn't specify which PatchMix to use, it would probably make sense to use the 1.71 PatchMix, or whatever the latest version available for the particular card is on the normal E-MU site. The one E-MU site thing I saw that mentioned regressing to the 1.60 drivers said nothing about regressing to PatchMix 1.60, and only supplied the 1.60 patch for the drivers, not for PatchMix.

While I saw the note on the Asian site a day or so back, I decided I'd wait on the new drivers until they make it to the emu.com site, just to be safe, and also give a bit more runtime on the regression to 1.60 since it is, thus far, running smoothly, but not enough time has passed to suggest it has actually changed anything with respect to the likelihood of power-up failures.

Rick

Rick Paul
System:  ASUS X99-Deluxe, i7-5820K, 16 GB RAM, Win10Pro x64,  MOTU 828x, SONAR Platinum
Jim Wright
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/14 14:09:40 (permalink)
Hi Rick -

Per my message above and a separate post here (also reported by others), ICHi has said that the V1.8 drivers available on the asia.creative site are official, that they will be posted on the emu.com site within a couple of days ("process"....), and that PatchMix patch 1.71a is the version to use with driver V1.8.

Good luck!

Jim
rickpaul
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/16 02:16:33 (permalink)
One minor update:

I just upgraded to the V1.80 drivers late this afternoon and noticed one decided improvement compared to past driver upgrades and what I'd mentioned in my CakewalkNet review of the 1820M: Even after the first reboot for the driver activation, the sound worked right away. With past updates there was a need to run Restore Defaults to get the sound back after each driver upgrade (and the 1.71 driver upgrade had other problems as mentioned in the thread on the E-MU forums). This seems like an encouraging sign.

As for the power-up failures, I am still running fine, with no further failures, since last Friday morning, most of that with the 1.60 drivers, but the last two cold boots with the 1.80 drivers. It isn't even a week yet, so it's too soon to suggest getting the 1.71 drivers out of the picture has definitively solved anything (not to mention I did reseat all my connections to the E-MU hardware as suggested by E-MU support, so it's conceivable that could have made a difference, too).

Rick

Rick Paul
tsf
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/16 20:13:19 (permalink)
The recommended combination is driver patch V1.8 and PatchMix patch 1.71a, for 1212M/1820/1820M

Do you think these updates also apply to the 1616M? I'm just curious if they'll need time to tweak the 1616M like these. From an earlier post I saw you make, it sounded as if the EMU drivers were applicable to the 1212, 1820 and 1616. At any rate, I'll probably order the 1616M next week.

Could anyone recommend an online store to buy from that has a good return policy? I have a gift card to Musician's Friend, but I remembered reading their return policy and it sounded to me as if I might not be able to return an audio card if it isn't broken. Does anyone know if that is standard practice for most stores? Thanks.
tsf
xackley
Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2973
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/17 09:21:38 (permalink)
I install 1.8 drivers and 1.71 dsp 2 days ago.

I now have no problem switching between 41.1 and 48 projects.

With the 1.6 drivers I would have ocassions of Sonarpdr.exe stuck or ASIO connections not being available after a crash.
I have not been able to test if sonar disconnects from the asio drivers upon a crash, as I haven't had a crash.
At this point I am not sure if there are improvements in the drivers that are making Sonar more stable, or if I haven't hit the right trigger for Sonar to fail, but am very optimistic Emu is on the right track.

Don

Van Gogh, seeing more that a vase of flowers.
http://www.vggallery.com
Newer Song "River", let me know if you don't like it.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=162668
mr. moon
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1515
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/17 09:57:33 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: rickpaul

One minor update:

I just upgraded to the V1.80 drivers late this afternoon and noticed one decided improvement compared to past driver upgrades and what I'd mentioned in my CakewalkNet review of the 1820M: Even after the first reboot for the driver activation, the sound worked right away. With past updates there was a need to run Restore Defaults to get the sound back after each driver upgrade (and the 1.71 driver upgrade had other problems as mentioned in the thread on the E-MU forums). This seems like an encouraging sign.

As for the power-up failures, I am still running fine, with no further failures, since last Friday morning, most of that with the 1.60 drivers, but the last two cold boots with the 1.80 drivers. It isn't even a week yet, so it's too soon to suggest getting the 1.71 drivers out of the picture has definitively solved anything (not to mention I did reseat all my connections to the E-MU hardware as suggested by E-MU support, so it's conceivable that could have made a difference, too).

Rick

I updated to the 1.80 drivers yesterday and ran through several projects which have been CPU hogs with the older driver sets (30+ audio tracks, many VST plugins, & such). My first impressions are that the CPU load has been lowered and that things are "smoother" (sound quality and workflow) in Sonar and Sound Forge, so to speak. However, these are just my first impressions and I probably won't have a chance to really punish my system until the weekend.

-mr moon

Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600
4 GB 800MHz DDR2
RME FireFace 800
Windows 64 Pro

"...Think outside the box as you mix within!" -mrmoon

Jim Wright
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/17 15:01:03 (permalink)
tsf -
The 1616M isn't listed on the EMU website yet, so I can't say about support.
However, a few days back, ICHi wrote:

I was wondering if the 1616 will use the same (or slightly modified) drivers as the PCI versions, or if they will need new drivers that have to be written from scratch ..?
***They are part of the family so they will include the latest version of PatchMix and the Drivers 1.80. All the enhancements and fixes of the 1616 will be available to PCI DAS users in the form of the next 2 updates.

From that, I assume the 1.8 fixes will be available for the 1616M, but don't know the details.

From other posts on the 1616m forum, it sounds like the 1616m preamps are much better than the 1820M preamps. (Soft-limiting available for the A/D, true guitar input, generally better circuit quality). At least, that's what ICHi says -- just passing along his comparison.

You should check out the forum I mentioned: http://www.productionforums.com/emu; it seems to be the most active community focused around the E-MU DAS cards. Be aware that they've banned people for various reasons in the past (and some of those people are very vocal). If you post 1616M questions there, you'll probably get them answered (and E-MU staff have stepped up forum participation recently).

- Jim
Nathan Knight
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 146
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/18 11:06:36 (permalink)
Jim, sorry to hack in on you like this...but if you get a chance to answer my last questions over on the "2GB" thread...about installing Windows and all the rest...I'd appreciate it!

Nathan
Jim Wright
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/06/19 11:56:10 (permalink)
Nathan .... replied briefly last night; see the other thread.

- Jim
rickpaul
RE: New Creative DSP Chip - Will it affect E-mu? 2005/10/14 12:53:48 (permalink)
For anyone who may be interested in the problem mentioned earlier in this thread that I was having with the AudioDock's occasionally not powering up and then taking awhile to get both sound and power to work after such an incident, I'm happy to report this is resolved in the 1.81 driver updates from E-MU (which also have a number of other benefits over the 1.80 drivers including enhanced WDM drivers, more options for latency setting on the low end, and more).

I'd been running an early version of the driver-only (i.e. not the rest of the changes made with V1.81) for awhile prior to the release, with no incidents whatsoever during that period. It was important to give it a good deal of runtime before concluding the problem was fixed since it could sometimes take a week or two between incidents. That and a few false hope situations prior to that, where something seemed to work for a week or two, but then the situation came back, were responsible for the long delays between updates on the situation.

Rick

Rick Paul
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1