Helpful ReplyNew Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2017/01/06 11:33:59 (permalink)

New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption

Many people vow to lose weight as their new year's resolution. I need to do that, too, and to help achieve that goal I intend to smoke less pot.

I've been a pot smoker for literally half a century. I don't drink alcohol or take any other recreational drugs. But after my wife died I became dependent on marijuana to combat insomnia. Without it, it was impossible to sleep through the night.

If you don't think pot has negative side-effects, that's just wishful thinking. You don't just get the munchies immediately after smoking, you maintain an elevated appetite for a day or two afterward. I gained 40 pounds in 2 years. I don't blame that entirely on pot - depression was a major factor - but it sure didn't help. It also affects, er, what was that again...memory!

The past week's abstinence has thrown my sleep patterns off a little, but I'm hoping to stabilize that by practicing consistent meal and bed times. The other downside is when listening to music I am too critical, constantly hitting the Next button in search of something more satisfying. Listening to my own stuff is irritating. This too, will pass, I hope.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 11:37:08 (permalink)
good luck to you, Dave!  quitting anything habitual is not easy.  hoping you have a successful resolution and are able to get the rest you need!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 11:59:07 (permalink)
I like not have it in the house 100% of the time. So when it runs out, I haven't sought out fresh batch before hand. Sometimes a fail at this, maybe because I've been at the guys house for other reasons, or because I am particularly enjoying it, or there happens to be a break in work.  I don't like it when it's not available but I'd really like some. After Christmas the guy went away, so I've been without, and I'm not particularly bothered at the moment. I think he's been back a while now too.

I used to blame me procrastinating too much on pot, but these breaks just prove to myself it's not the pot, it's me. I procrastinate too much. I do find after a break I really enjoy practicing instruments, but after a while it just becomes the same as a before. And a where I was getting in the 'zone' it then sometimes hinders.

I didn't have a Christmas in 2015, I was stuck on a Visa run in Phnom Penh. This year I made up for it and drank too much. I wasn't sick or anything, but Boxing day it didn't appeal at all. Beer is cheap here, and I don't have a sweet tooth. beer drinking has steadily become way to common, too daily at times. But since Christmas I've gad nothing, not even for NYE. 

So no pot, no alcohol for 2 weeks, and still I haven't written the second half semester test that were due before Christmas. Still I procrastinate. Nothing to blame but myself.

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 12:07:05 (permalink)
It's hard to shake off a psychological dependence on pot because it's almost like your whole emotional currency is invested in it. Eating, sleeping, listening to music, reading, just being interested in anything - when you smoke pot regularly it's easy to feel like none of these things would be as good without it. 

I quit being a daily pot smoker some years ago and what got me through it was the same thing that got me through giving up cigarettes 20 years ago - focusing on the novelty aspect. When you concentrate on the fact that you've made a major life change and that your existence is going to be different from now on, it's a huge motivator. You have to keep your brain interested. As soon as the novelty of not doing it wears off, that's when you're tempted to think screw it, what's the big deal anyway. You're selling your mind the concept that life is better without the drug, and you'll lose that sale unless you keep on top of your marketing campaign. 

Maybe twice a year I will acquire a little pot for one reason or another and I'll go through this same thing in miniature. Just having a wee toke every night for a week is enough to start bringing that psychological dependence back - when the pot's almost gone there is that depressing feeling that the good times are almost over, that it's back to the potless grind, and wondering how I managed to be happy without it. Even after a week. Yet when it's gone, it's amazing how quickly your mind just adapts to the "other" state of not needing it to be happy. Which after all, is your natural state. 

Cutting down is a lot less drastic than giving up entirely however. Back when I was a daily smoker (wake 'n' bake) I decided to cut down and started denying myself a smoke until after 6pm. I found this quite easy to do, appreciated how much better my mind worked during the day and enjoyed my evening toke way more than when I would smoke all day. You need that contrast to really enjoy stuff. Being stoned all the time, you're never really "stoned." Having the occasional toke is far more enjoyable - you appreciate it more and it has a much stronger effect. 

I find that learning to sleep without it is probably the hardest part. You have to take steps to relax at night - avoiding bright screens is important (install f.lux), replace any "full spectrum" light bulbs with soft yellow light, drink some kind of sleep inducing tea (lavender, chamomile etc) and take a melatonin pill.  

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Kamikaze
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 12:14:18 (permalink)
My New years Resolution is to eat more and do my physical exercise. I had to have a medical for the work permit, and they weighed me, which was disappointing. I've lost about a kilo a year since moving to Vietnam. It's hard to work out in the summer heat, and it kills your appetite too. Also working with kids leaves me physically tired at the end of the day, so it takes more dedication to be in the routine of exercising.

Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 12:22:07 (permalink)
Kamikaze
........I've lost about a kilo a year since moving to Vietnam.

You're talking about (body) weight roooooight? 

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 12:26:20 (permalink)
My New years Resolution is to find a way to get to Colorado for "The Brownie". Where I'm at the people I would get it from is just as likely to shoot you in the head as sell you pot not to mention the other stuff they push. The only alternative is Colorado if I want to revisit my youth. 
I don't smoke or drink cept the occasional beer with pizza 

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

Beagle
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 12:28:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2017/01/06 13:18:31
bayoubill
My New years Resolution is to find a way to get to Colorado for "The Brownie". Where I'm at the people I would get it from is just as likely to shoot you in the head as sell you pot not to mention the other stuff they push. The only alternative is Colorado if I want to revisit my youth. 
I don't smoke or drink cept the occasional beer incessant becan with pizza 

fixed.

eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 12:31:57 (permalink)
I heard taking up crochet helps.  good luck!

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

bayoubill
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 12:33:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2017/01/06 13:48:47
I DON'T HAVE A BECAN PROBLEM!!!! I can quit anytime I want

It relaxes me. I can skip a day if I want. I don't spend that much money on it . I just like having it around when if I might want some. I just like it that's all. Is that so wrong? STOP LOOKING AT ME!!!!

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 12:49:28 (permalink)
bitflipper
cutting back on marijuana consumption 

Move to utah, they'll throw you in jail for smokin' it,
and then you'll cut back automatically.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

sharke
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 13:22:06 (permalink)
batsbrew
bitflipper
cutting back on marijuana consumption

Move to utah, they'll throw you in jail for smokin' it,
and then you'll cut back automatically.

I would have thought jail would be one of the best places to score pot. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 13:22:52 (permalink)
I've found that the key to either maintaining something (like an exercise routine) or cutting back on something is to not allow for any exceptions or excuses - because if you allow yourself to blow something off once, you can very easily find yourself blowing it off again and again and again...

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
Beagle
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 13:33:49 (permalink)
bayoubill
I DON'T HAVE A BECAN PROBLEM!!!! I can quit anytime I want

It relaxes me. I can skip a day if I want. I don't spend that much money on it . I just like having it around when if I might want some. I just like it that's all. Is that so wrong? STOP LOOKING AT ME!!!!

LOL!

Bill - just go to my BA meetings!  (Becan's Anonymous).  bring all your becan with you and leave it at the door...

it's therapeutic.  I promise!  

bayoubill
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 13:42:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beagle 2017/01/06 14:11:26
Beagle - that sounds suspiciously like something Strammy said when he talked me into sending him my debit card!
I haven't seen it since but I KNOW Steve has had a few pedicure visits and at least one tummy tuck!  

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 13:49:27 (permalink)
Good luck Dave!

As for the insomnia, how's your coffee intake?  Without pot to balance, the caffeine might be more of a bad influence and mess with your sleep patterns.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 13:54:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bayoubill 2017/01/06 14:14:18
bayoubill
Beagle - that sounds suspiciously like something Strammy said when he talked me into sending him my debit card!
I haven't seen it since but I KNOW Steve has had a few pedicure visits and at least one tummy tuck!  

He's actually using that card for lassoing lessons.............you know he just loves them cats.  

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Sheanes
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 684
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 14:07:08 (permalink)
Hey Bitflipper,

Currently on venlafaxine for depression, smoked a few trucks of pot in my younger years but quit 20 years ago.
Falling a sleep without pot will be hard for you now probably, just by you told your brain you can't without it.
Is it that you need to calm down in your head ?
There's exercises for that if your brain keeps 'running high speed', every now and then that stupid relax excersize realy saves me going down into very dark periods.
Melatonine is a harmless and available to everyone sleep help pil, and ofcourse no coffee in the evening.

What helps me a lot is just walking 30 minutes, once or twice a day, and if I can do a little sports....while walking your brain generates 'dopamine' which makes you happy.

Anyway, wishing you best and get help if you should need it.
Talk to people and let them help you, they really want to.
Hang in there !
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 15:33:09 (permalink)
I used to smoke weed all the time.  But a few decades ago I all but gave it up.  I do drink alcohol in the form of wine on a daily basis.  The problem with grass was that I'd end up enjoying myself so much I wouldn't watch the level of wine consumption and end up feeling like death the next day.  One or the other had to go.  Given that my network of weed suppliers was getting non-existent as I headed into my 40s (only one other personal friend still imbibed at that time), the choice kind of took care of itself.

So ... cheers! 
sharke
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 16:21:29 (permalink)
dmbaer
I used to smoke weed all the time.  But a few decades ago I all but gave it up.  I do drink alcohol in the form of wine on a daily basis.  The problem with grass was that I'd end up enjoying myself so much I wouldn't watch the level of wine consumption and end up feeling like death the next day.  One or the other had to go.  Given that my network of weed suppliers was getting non-existent as I headed into my 40s (only one other personal friend still imbibed at that time), the choice kind of took care of itself.

So ... cheers! 

The two together are a deadly mix. Or rather, it's OK when you smoke a little and then go out for a drink, but when you go out drinking then come back and have a smoke on top of it, yikes. Spinning rooms a-plenty. 

James
bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 20:43:47 (permalink)
Dave, Firstly my sympathies on the loss of your wife. This has got to be unspeakable for you.

I at 50+ and self employed with a mortgage have every reason to have sleeping issues.
My wife suggested Benadryl which I now take every night before bed. I remember nothing but
gee, I must have slept well. It's non addictive except you won't want to turn in without it as it is
so effective.

If you are asthmatic or have other respiratory issues they will exasperate that though.
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 21:28:06 (permalink)
bitflipper
I've been a pot smoker for literally half a century.....

No... I would have never guessed..... 

Man, I used to be a heavy user myself back in the day.... but I never gained any weight.... nothing I do makes me gain weight. Been 150lbs (5lbs give or take) since my late 20's. I stopped for a few reasons.

1. I got a really bad chest infection from the heavy smoking of said plant.... and I was growing my own so I knew it wasn't chemically treated.

2. The price went through the roof for the black market variety, as well as the unsavory characters that tend to work in that part of the business.

3. The sheriff showed up at my door one morning at 3AM. It was a case of they had the wrong house and were looking for the guy who lived in the house next door for something totally unrelated to weed.... but that scared the living daylights out of me.

So those were the main reasons I gave it up. I haven't touched it in decades now. In NC we're still back in the stone age regarding progressive laws like recreational or even medical weed.

For sleeping, my wife uses melatonin. It's the natural hormone that regulates and promotes sleep. Kudo's to you on your resolution....

Edit: I don't know if you read the story about my SG getting stolen and then recovered the very next day. But.... the police called me to tell me that had recovered the guitar and could I come down to the station to ID it. I was kinda scared to go ID my guitar because I had left half an ounce in the pick compartment in the guitar case. But fortunately, the guy who broke in and stole the guitar found it and removed it before the police got the guitar......

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 23:08:34 (permalink)
I've tried melatonin but it didn't do anything for me. A daily walk helps, but it's been too frickin' cold around here for that - maybe once it gets above freezing I'll resume. Switching to decaf after the first cup of the day also makes a big difference. Not watching TV in bed, that's another tip.

But falling asleep usually isn't the problem, it's staying asleep. I'll wake up between 1:00 and 3:00 AM and can't go back to sleep. After 30-45 minutes trying, I say f*ck it, get up and go out to the garage/office/studio, open the forum and see what the UK delegation is talking about. Maybe that's my problem - I just live in the wrong time zone!

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 23:30:12 (permalink)
I guess i am glad i forgot to give you that bag i set aside for you.
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 23:31:12 (permalink)
And melatonin is worthless
sharke
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/06 23:41:07 (permalink)
GABA is another one you might try if melatonin doesn't do anything for you. They're usually side by side in the health food store. Personally melatonin works very well for me - it's not a sleeping pill, it just seems to get your natural sleeping cycle back on track. What's good about GABA though is that it's quite effective at stopping your mind racing when you're trying to nod off.

James
Kamikaze
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/07 00:02:03 (permalink)
Over the counter demazepam here. I save it for when I know have to get a good sleep, if my pattern has been off, or sometimes to try a reset my body clock. I was travelling with friends on overnight buses in Argentina years back and few had a little stock from previous travels. They were sharing. My last trip back to the UK, I was due to land ad 7:15. So at 11pm UK time on the plane, I necked two after a couple of drinks and woke up just before landing. I wasn't 100% steady on my feet, but Jetlag was not a problem.

I too have to curb the coffee intake. No more than 3, usually two, never after 4pm. Veitnam is Coffee shop culture. Everyone one is, lets meet for coffee after work. really coffee 'after' work. They don't get it at all, and will be up often before 7 am, but it's also a siesta culture.

My New years resolution I post above was to train, but resistance training late in the day, seems to kick off hormones that stop me sleeping. So I can only train in the first half of the day. Cardio helps though, I always seem to sleep well after cardio.

Have you tried evening walks, cycling or swimming. That may keep you under after you've nodded off.  I've found some beers, will wake me up after I've fallen asleep. I've learnt to avoid those, but you say you don't drink.

Bert Guy
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1042
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/07 00:57:44 (permalink)
My observation is that regular use of pot hardly ever improves anybody. I have known some people who operated at a high  intellectual level while high, but I got the feeling it was in spite of THC, not because of it. More often, I detect subtly corrupted/non-productive thinking and behavior in regular users.

On the other hand, some moderate ETOH ingestion can be a very good social lubricant. I've had many amusing conversations over glasses of Cabernet or bottles of IPA. And from my readings of history, I gather that Winston Churchill apparently successfully lead Great Britain to victory in WWII with a scotch in one hand and a cigar in the other, every waking hour of every day, 1939-1945. And he wrote an entire shelf of good books in the same condition. 

Yes, alcohol is very bad for some people. My medical experience tells me that people involved in fatal automobile accidents, bar room fights, and acts of domestic violence, are frequently extremely drunk. 

Enough blogging, I think I'll crack a bottle of Bohemian. It is Friday night.

Cheers! May you fulfill your excellent resolution! (hoist,sworp)

Happy New Year!

Bert

Silence is so accurate

http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=587673

eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/07 01:13:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Sheanes 2017/01/07 05:33:50
Sheanes
Hey Bitflipper,

Currently on venlafaxine for depression, smoked a few trucks of pot in my younger years but quit 20 years ago.
Falling a sleep without pot will be hard for you now probably, just by you told your brain you can't without it.
Is it that you need to calm down in your head ?
There's exercises for that if your brain keeps 'running high speed', every now and then that stupid relax excersize realy saves me going down into very dark periods.
Melatonine is a harmless and available to everyone sleep help pil, and ofcourse no coffee in the evening.

What helps me a lot is just walking 30 minutes, once or twice a day, and if I can do a little sports....while walking your brain generates 'dopamine' which makes you happy.

Anyway, wishing you best and get help if you should need it.
Talk to people and let them help you, they really want to.
Hang in there !

Seanes,

BTW it helps to combine an SSRI (or derivative) with a tricyclic.  It's the only thing that has ever worked for me.

Good luck!

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

Sheanes
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 684
Re: New Year's Resolution: cutting back on marijuana consumption 2017/01/07 05:54:26 (permalink)
thanks EPH, wrote it down should I ever need it....appreciated.

from what I've learned there's a million things that can get people back into a positive flow again.
Just finding what it is that will do the trick for you (as it's different for everyone).....is difficult for someone else to advise.

Dave only if you want to let us know please if you like further suggestions/tips & tricks (on- or offline via pm)

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1