Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here....

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
HumbleNoise
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 08:47:30 (permalink)
gt,

I was trying to figure out your question and it seems to work pretty consistently here. Maybe not what you're looking for but consistent.

Here's the first video with Audio though it doesn't answer your question I don't think.
http://www.screencast.com...4d9a-976d-80aa29c58514

Here's another trying what I THINK you're asking.
VIDEO HERE
http://www.screencast.com...470c-9938-676dcb86cac2

Hope that helps and I'm thinkin this thread has been officially hijacked. Sorry Katherine

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
NVidia 9800 GTX
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
HumbleNoise
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 08:49:29 (permalink)
FastBikerBoy

If you press "Ctrl-Alt V" when pasting that will up the "advanced" box. There is a checkbox there to "Align to measure". Is that what you meant?

That's pretty powerful FBB. Haven't gone there yet.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
NVidia 9800 GTX
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 08:51:38 (permalink)
HumbleNoise

FastBikerBoy

If you press "Ctrl-Alt V" when pasting that will up the "advanced" box. There is a checkbox there to "Align to measure". Is that what you meant?

I wouldn't normally have mentioned that, I only like to discuss things with the developers..........
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 08:58:48 (permalink)
FastBikerBoy

10Ten

FastBikerBoy

Difference is I won't be wasting any more of my time with you.

Thank you.
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 09:04:27 (permalink)
FastBikerBoy

HumbleNoise

FastBikerBoy

I wouldn't normally have mentioned that, I only like to discuss things with the developers..........

And I thought you were "done with me".  BTW, I never said what you claim. Which makes you well...
post edited by 10Ten - 2011/01/29 09:05:38
guitartrek
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 09:07:05 (permalink)
FastBikerBoy

Thanks FastBikerBoy - Yes - However, I just tried copying some midi notes that didn't start at the start of a measure, and hit Paste/Special, Advanced, and the Align to Measure box was greyed out - unavailable.  If it worked they way I described it would be perfect. 
guitartrek
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 09:16:06 (permalink)
The other thing with Past Special, is that if you copy a clip from one track and then set the focus to another track, the "Paste To track" should default to the newly selected track (track with focus), but it always defaults to original track.  This is not intuitive.  Most other windows apps would default to pasting something to wherever the new focus is set.

For example if you copied something from one Word Document, and then set focus to a different Word Document, when you paste, it would paste into the new document at the current insertion point (wherever the cursor is).  It wouldn't default to pasting into the old document. 

I love Sonar, but some of these dialogue boxes have outdated non-intuitive defaults and are due for an overhaul.
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 09:18:35 (permalink)
guitartrek

FastBikerBoy

Thanks FastBikerBoy - Yes - However, I just tried copying some midi notes that didn't start at the start of a measure, and hit Paste/Special, Advanced, and the Align to Measure box was greyed out - unavailable.  If it worked they way I described it would be perfect. 

Hmm........ I can't say I've ever tried it with MIDI notes, perhaps it behaves differently then. I'll try it when I get back a chance and see what I get.
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 09:24:30 (permalink)
guitartrek

The other thing with Past Special, is that if you copy a clip from one track and then set the focus to another track, the "Paste To track" should default to the newly selected track (track with focus), but it always defaults to original track.  This is not intuitive.  Most other windows apps would default to pasting something to wherever the new focus is set.

For example if you copied something from one Word Document, and then set focus to a different Word Document, when you paste, it would paste into the new document at the current insertion point (wherever the cursor is).  It wouldn't default to pasting into the old document. 

I love Sonar, but some of these dialogue boxes have outdated non-intuitive defaults and are due for an overhaul.

Maybe it's something to do with the way I'm working but I've just checked and I get the "Align to measure" option with MIDI notes and the "start at track" defaults to the track I've selected as well.

Are you lassoing select? That has a bearing on how envelopes behave when being pasted (because of a bug). Perhaps it's the same with audio/midi notes.
HumbleNoise
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 09:27:46 (permalink)
guitartrek

gt, did you check the video I posted? Seems pretty simple to me but of course YMMV.

VIDEO HERE
http://www.screencast.com...470c-9938-676dcb86cac2

Agree though it's not very intuitive to have change track focus when pasting. It should IMO default to the clip and track selected. Easy to work with and perhaps powerful for multi editing tasks but I'm always forgetting to select the track for focus which to me defines unintuitive.
post edited by HumbleNoise - 2011/01/29 09:30:47

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
NVidia 9800 GTX
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 09:28:31 (permalink)
BTW Is it my imagination or are some users having trouble understanding subject pronouns? Such as "I" meaning "me" as opposed to "you"  which means er..... "you". Or perhaps it's paranoia?
guitartrek
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 09:45:10 (permalink)
FastBikerBoy

BTW Is it my imagination or are some users having trouble understanding subject pronouns? Such as "I" meaning "me" as opposed to "you"  which means er..... "you". Or perhaps it's paranoia?

No it's not your imagination - I've got to watch my grammer more closely.  thanks for the reminder
guitartrek
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 09:56:33 (permalink)
HumbleNoise

guitartrek

gt, did you check the video I posted? Seems pretty simple to me but of course YMMV.

VIDEO HERE
http://www.screencast.com/users/LHawes/folders/Jing/media/4cc11d78-05f4-470c-9938-676dcb86cac2

Agree though it's not very intuitive to have change track focus when pasting. It should IMO default to the clip and track selected. Easy to work with and perhaps powerful for multi editing tasks but I'm always forgetting to select the track for focus which to me defines unintuitive.

Larry - thanks a million for that Video!  That is cool!  I've got to learn how to do that.  Anyway - yes that works pretty well.  When you were copying a clip that didn't start at the beginning of a measure and set focus to a new track, and hit ctl-v it pastes exactly to the new track and at the current now time.  What I want is the same thing, but if I could check the align to measures box, it would paste to the new track, and would paste at the relative position inside the measure.  Like if the clip copied started at 2:03:123 and you set the now time to 16:01.000, it would would paste to 16:03:123. 

When I copy and paste midi notes inside the PRV, and set focus to another track, the default "Paste to track" does not default to the currently selected or focused track.  It looks like it works fine for you in the Track View, but the PRV seems to behave differently.  Or maybe it's because I'm using Paste Special- not sure.
codamedia
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1185
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 11:15:22 (permalink)
UnderTow
One could argue that the track selection should simply change. Can anyone see any advantage to the track selection not changing when selecting a clip or clicking anywhere in a track? If there is a good reason for this behaviour then fair enough. If it has no advantage, Cakewalk should maybe change it in some future update.

I actually like the way it works now. Here's my work flow, and why it works for me:

When I track a lead vocal part, here is what I might do.
Track 1 = Take 1
Track 2 = Take 2
Track 3 = Take 3
Track 4 = Compiled Vocal (see where I am going with this)

At this point I highlight track 4, so that all "pastes" will go into this track. Now I grab 2 bars from track 1, copy/paste it drops into track 4 with no extra clicks on my part. Now grab 3 bars from track 3, copy/paste - bam, it's in track four. I don't have to keep selecting track 4 (my compile track) every time I need to paste. It simply goes to the track I initially selected. That's why it works - FOR ME!

If you want to copy/paste into the same track - just make sure that track is selected before you start the procedure.

However, if Cakewalk changed it to the way you are describing I would simply adapt to that change. It would mean more clicks for my workflow, but I'd learn to live with that pretty quickly. If that would make it easier for everyone else, I have nothing against that!

EDIT: Corrected some spelling errors
post edited by codamedia - 2011/01/29 12:32:53

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
thomasabarnes
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3234
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 11:43:36 (permalink)
codamedia:

For the record, that's UnderTow that you have quoted, not me. :)

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
guitartrek
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 11:48:41 (permalink)
codamedia

thomasabarnes
One could argue that the track selection should simply change. Can anyone see any advantage to the track selection not changing when selecting a clip or clicking anywhere in a track? If there is a good reason for this behaviour then fair enough. If it has no advantage, Cakewalk should maybe change it in some future update.

I actually like the way it works now. Here's my work flow, and why it works for me:

Track 1 = Take 1
Track 2 = Take 2
Track 3 = Take 3

At this point I highlight track 4, so that all "pastes" will go into this track. Now I grab 2 bars from track 1, copy/paste it drops into track 4 with no extra clicks on my part. Now grab 3 bars from track 3, copy/paste - bam, it's in track four. I don't have to keep selecting track 4 (my compile track) every time I need to paste. It simply goes to the track I initially selected. That's why it works - FOR ME!

If you want to copy/paste into the same track - just make sure that track is selected before you start the procedure.

However, if Cakewalk changed it to the way you are describing I would simply adapt to that change. It would mean more clicks for my workflow, but I'd learn to live with that pretty quickly. If that would make it easier for everyone else, I have nothing against that!

EDIT: Corrected some spelling errors

Have you ever tried track layers for different takes?  That's what I do and it works very well.  You never have to create a different track and it will automatically create new layers on the fly everytime you record another take.
UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 11:48:43 (permalink)
codamedia

thomasabarnes

Track 1 = Take 1
Track 2 = Take 2
Track 3 = Take 3

I am a little confused. How is the Now Time set? How do you make sure the takes you copy end up at the right point in time? (Basically at the same time as they were on the source track).

UnderTow
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 11:55:27 (permalink)
Wow, three pages devoted to copy-and-paste but nobody picked up on the mention of V-Vocal in Zyra's list of stuff being worked on? I would have thought that might have generated more discussion.

BTW, all issues with copying clips can be easily avoided: actually play everything yourself instead of cheating by copying clips!

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
guitartrek
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 12:06:23 (permalink)
bitflipper

Wow, three pages devoted to copy-and-paste but nobody picked up on the mention of V-Vocal in Zyra's list of stuff being worked on? I would have thought that might have generated more discussion.

BTW, all issues with copying clips can be easily avoided: actually play everything yourself instead of cheating by copying clips!

After V-Vocal corrupted a project a few years ago I always bounce to clip right away to avoid leaving V-Vocal open.  It is such an automatic habit now V-Vocal doesn't bother me anymore.  Maybe there are other issues with V-Vocal but it works fine for my workflow.

On your second point - what would be the fun if we couldn't cheat anymore?
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 12:08:45 (permalink)
bitflipper

I know I can play it again, that's why it doesn't bother me to copy and paste.
brundlefly
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 12:13:10 (permalink)
UnderTow
I am a little confused. How is the Now Time set? How do you make sure the takes you copy end up at the right point in time? (Basically at the same time as they were on the source track).

The pasted clip will have the same start time as the source by default in the scenario described. 

EDIT: Doh! That's not right. The way I was checking the Start time was setting the Now time. You could do the same with the Now = Start keybinding (F7 in days gone by, and with my restored keybinding in X1).

post edited by brundlefly - 2011/01/29 12:28:50
UnderTow
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 12:39:51 (permalink)
brundlefly

UnderTow
The pasted clip will have the same start time as the source by default in the scenario described.
It isn't pasted at the Now Time? Are you sure? Can you test this? Is there some specific option that I am not aware of to achieve this behaviour? Which tool is being used to do the "grabbing"?

Thanks in advance,

UnderTow
codamedia
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 12:40:15 (permalink)
UnderTow

codamedia

thomasabarnes

Track 1 = Take 1
Track 2 = Take 2
Track 3 = Take 3

UnderTow
Yes - missed a step didn't I - LOL! Once I select (with the smart tool) the highlighted area is darkened. I do one click at the front of that spot to set the now time between the Cut/Paste (it's almost always a snap point). In theory I see where you are going with this. Why not set the now time in the new track (with the new track auto selecting) :) I just never really noticed any of this before, I just worked with it. In that case, there would be no difference in work flow, so I can see your point.

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
codamedia
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 12:44:33 (permalink)
EDIT: Removed! Corrected above.

ProjectM
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3941
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 12:50:56 (permalink)
codamedia

UnderTow

UnderTow
Yes - missed a step didn't I - LOL! Once I select (with the smart tool) the highlighted area is darkened. I do one click at the front of that spot to set the now time between the Cut/Paste (it's almost always a snap point). In theory I see where you are going with this. Why not set the now time in the new track (with the new track auto selecting) :) I just never really noticed any of this before, I just worked with it. In that case, there would be no difference in work flow, so I can see your point.

Ehh... If I understand what you want to do correctly then you don't have to mess about with the Now Time to place the clip correctly in the timeline on a different track. Hold Shift -> Left Click the clip and drag and drop it to whatever track you like. Then you don't have to worry about it going out of time.

If you want to copy the click then you hold shift and control -> click your clip and drop it to a different track exactly where you inteded it to be.

If you only want part of the audio in the track, highlight it with the select tool, hold Shift and/or controll -> left click and drag it to another track.

You'll save years of your life

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
codamedia
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 12:54:05 (permalink)
guitartrek
Have you ever tried track layers for different takes?  That's what I do and it works very well.  You never have to create a different track and it will automatically create new layers on the fly everytime you record another take.

Yes - that is how I do it for tracking, but I still compile a final take on a new track. For my example I figured I would use the "track 1, 2" to keep the example clear.

UnderTow
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 12:55:28 (permalink)
codamedia

Heh. It's funny how we do all these little actions without even realising it.

Another funny thing (or so I think) is that last year I suggested Cakewalk add an option to set the Now Time at the beginning of a clip when selecting it. That would allow the workflow you described. Click Copy/paste, voila! Now combine that with a separate option to "Link Track And Clip Selection" so that selecting a Clip would also select the Track that Clip is on and Sonar would have two very powerful yet flexible working methods available.

UnderTow
UnderTow
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 12:57:39 (permalink)
ProjectM

Ehh... If I understand what you want to do correctly then you don't have to mess about with the Now Time to place the clip correctly in the timeline on a different track. Hold Shift -> Left Click the clip and drag and drop it to whatever track you like. Then you don't have to worry about it going out of time.

If you want to copy the click then you hold shift and control -> click your clip and drop it to a different track exactly where you inteded it to be.

If you only want part of the audio in the track, highlight it with the select tool, hold Shift and/or controll -> left click and drag it to another track.
Excellent suggestions!
You'll save years of your life
Decades!

UnderTow
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 13:04:02 (permalink)
UnderTow

10Ten

I've been through this many times an other users have confirmed it. When you become a Sonar developer, I'll bother going through it again with you.

Oh come on 10Ten. If you don't want to discuss it or provide a link to your previous explanation, don't mention it on the forum, send an email to the Sonar developers.

CTRL-Drag works for me...

UnderTow

BTW, I never said I didn't want to discuss it. I wouldn't have posted it if I hadn't wanted to discuss. I just happen to know that particular posters are jerks and don't want to bother with them.
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
Re:Noel, Brandon and Seth....while you're here.... 2011/01/29 13:30:49 (permalink)
Another funny thing (or so I think) is that last year I suggested Cakewalk add an option to set the Now Time at the beginning of a clip when selecting it. That would allow the workflow you described. Click Copy/paste, voila! Now combine that with a separate option to "Link Track And Clip Selection" so that selecting a Clip would also select the Track that Clip is on and Sonar would have two very powerful yet flexible working methods available.

UnderTow

They would be good options to have.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1