OT: My gripe with Newbies

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 22:47:05 (permalink)
Hi Brian-
However, you have been more than patient and responsive to those who have needed much; and this has not gone unnoticed by both sides of this discussion.
I argue that if you want to vent - you have surely earned it. This is a good thing!
I cheer the fact that you keep trying!

That's very nice of you to say! Thanks!

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
Greybeard
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 271
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 22:48:17 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Susan G
Just give the documentation a shot, and then ask a question when you're stumped. Why not try that route?

ORIGINAL: razor
Should we be more diligent in searching the forum for the answers before we post a new question? I know I'm guilty of that one.

I still think of myself as a newbie to digital recording, and I wouldn't like to lose the insights of helpful people like Susan, Phrauge, Glazfolk and the rest of you to terminal boredom. So here's a tip for others like myself who may be tempted to post before doing any homework. At the bottom of each Cakewalk Forum page there's a box with "search term" inside, located beside a search button. After I've checked Sonar's help file and the manual, if I'm still in the dark about how to connect my MAuuudio or disable a Soundblister, I'll run the object of my confusion through this search engine. If the Forum archives give me no satisfaction, only then do I frame a question and post it here for help.

I haven't had to post many questions.

To repeat:
1. Check the manual and your help file.
2. Check the forum archives.
3. If you're still confused, post your question.
Melodymaker48
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 379
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 22:51:35 (permalink)
I came to this forum about two months ago after using Cake for 10 years. I did not really know about the search function but found out about it quickly after my first post, which had something to do with licensing. I didn't know it was a touchy subject. Created a lengthy thread too.
When the noob comes here they're green in everything and it's refreshing to see most people cut them some slack. In the past two months it's been easy to see the repetitiveness, sometimes daily, sometimes in concurrent posts.
When you buy a toy, you want to bring it home and play with it right away. Heck, I usually open my latest "toy" in the car on the way home so I can look at it, read the manual (at the speed limit right lane) so when I get home I can jump in. So they're eager. Granted some are lazy.
Like a lot of you, i learned the "old fashioned way". Reading, trying, tutorials, patience and some not so patient times. What might be helpful is a top ten FAQ as a sticky, including the "what you hear". Titled Noobs Read This First. Include some encouraging words to Follow the tutorials, maybe teach them how to use a Table of contents and index. Ok thats getting a little carried away.
Also just because you have a few posts doesn't neccearily determine your a noob. I decided to come on cause i like helping people as I suspect most of you do to. And sometimes the banter is fun and interesting. And the folks are pretty nice. Check out the P5 forum, they're a hoot over there. It's good for a change of pace although I feel more at home here.
So at this point i also would like to thank you all for yout contributions and camaraderie.
Blessings,
Rob
Phrauge
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 23:00:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Greybeard
1. Check the manual and your help file.
2. Check the forum archives.
3. If you're still confused, post your question.

Well put. My only addition would be; Go through the tutorials.

One of my main problems with the S5 manual is that Cakewalk assumes that you have and that you know how to use an external MIDI device. It should be stated in the manual that if you don't have an external MIDI device, you should skip Tutorial 1 and go straight to Tutorial 8.
yep
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4057
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 23:03:53 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Melodymaker48
...What might be helpful is a top ten FAQ as a sticky,...

There is one. Look at the stickies at the top of the forum for "Sonar Forum FAQ."
Melodymaker48
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 379
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 23:10:03 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: yep

There is one. Look at the stickies at the top of the forum for "Sonar Forum FAQ."

Gee, blush, guess I forgot about that. I Never look that way anymore. Just did a quick scan of it and it looks to me it pretty much covers all the noob questions. Problem is they have to go 3 pages deep.
Thanks Yep!
ba_midi
  • Total Posts : 14061
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 23:39:12 (permalink)
Hi Susan :)

As you know, I've often tried to contribute here and help others, but like you, over time, it's become a bit tiring to see such little effort from "some" (not all) newbies.

IT's as if they want all the rest of us to be the manual for them. Some of the VERY basic things get asked. As if there's been NO investment/energy in "learning" on their part.

I often find myself just passing up those messages now, whereas in the beginning of my involvement here, I didn't. And sure, many have been helpful to me (and everyone else), but I do think it takes SOME effort on the part of a user to learn SOMETHING on their own.

And, thank you for all the MANY times you've helped SO many others, btw (including me)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 23:48:01 (permalink)
Look Folks, it's not just newbies that ask dumb questions or think they know how to operate any piece of software or hardware without cracking the manual. In fact sometimes us seasoned veterans are even more prone to "manual, I don't need no stinking manual" syndrome than newbies. However, we've learned the hard way (and by being ridiculed when necessary by fellow forum members) that actually reading the manual or looking at the FAQs or searching for a relevant thread are the first actions to take. Then ask your question. I admire anyone with the patience...and here I agree Susan has earned some slack...to day in and day out help a new user instead of just blowing them off. Like somebody said above we were all new users at one time. But I don't think anyone is being disrespectful to a newbie to suggest reading the tutorials and the manual. That's what they're for. And afterall, in the final analysis, we are not Cakewalk Tech support. We're enthusiasts and professionals who use, discuss and seek to enhance this great product.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
Phrauge
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 23:49:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yep

I've wondered that if Rousseau quit posting here because after he took the time to compile a FAQ, so many ignored it.
Kelsin
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 113
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 00:02:19 (permalink)
All I'm saying is if you buy an expensive software package that you know nothing about, expect to spend a little time with the manual -- at least before you attack it for being inadequate.

It doesn't help that the computer industry thrives by having it's customers know NOTHING. I mean look at anti-linux stuff put out by Microsoft or the new Mac vs Windows comercials. They are all based on the viewer knowing NOTHING in order to sell their software. People are amazed when they get home and realize that the EASY TO USE software that they bought (even at $500 and in a subject they don't know about) isn't easy to use. The sales guy said it was, THEY NEVER LIE!
pletchsr
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 00:23:14 (permalink)
i tried to read the manual and follow the tutorials and i broke sonar

it needs more pictures

shannon
Susan G
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 00:50:27 (permalink)
Hi Shannon-
I tried to read the manual and follow the tutorials and i broke sonar

Can you be a little more specific?

it needs more pictures

Again, can you be a bit more specific?

Thanks-

-Susan

Susan G
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 01:08:39 (permalink)
Hi Phrauge-
I'm guessing that this may be one of the reasons Honest Al is taking a breather from the forum.

Could well be. I miss him!

-Susan

Susan G
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 01:18:11 (permalink)
Hi Brian-
A little late night ranting here!
However, you have been more than patient and responsive to those who have needed much; and this has not gone unnoticed by both sides of this discussion.
I argue that if you want to vent - you have surely earned it. This is a good thing!

Very much appreciated! It was probably me just tuning out for a bit...

Natural Bridge, VA is one of the most spectacular places I've seen in the US! I envy you living there!

-Susan

Phrauge
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 01:19:38 (permalink)

Hi Phrauge-
I'm guessing that this may be one of the reasons Honest Al is taking a breather from the forum.

Could well be. I miss him!

To paraphrase what I've posted on "other" forums:

Susan, you have the patience of Job. Richard has a trusting heart of gold. Frank is a saint.

Susan G
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 01:23:23 (permalink)
Hi Billy-

I absolutely do know what you're saying!

And, thank you for all the MANY times you've helped SO many others, btw (including me)

Well, same back! Thank you, too!

-Susan

Susan G
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 01:43:32 (permalink)
Now who are you and what have you done with Susan!?

Aarf, aarf, ruff, ruff, ruff!

Susan G
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 01:52:23 (permalink)
Hi Stephen-

[I missed your question first time around, sorry!]

PS. I have a question: How does Susan feel about folks who post questions to this forum that have already been asked and answered in another string? Should we be more diligent in searching the forum for the answers before we post a new question? I know I'm guilty of that one.

Ask away! The Search feature/function/whatever in this forum isn't all that great, IMO.

-Susan

TheFingers
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1669
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 02:11:24 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Stone House Studios

Sorry Susan -
A little late night ranting here!

Brian

No, it has not gone unnoticed. many of us are guilty of jumping in, a little too soon to help when there are few replies. Susan, I wouldn't want to see you go by the way of Honest_Al. Relax, track a little.

1973 "A" neck.

I'd rather be playing Bass:
glazfolk
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5253
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 02:24:17 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ...wicked
Manual is well-written, but I agree that it's badly indexed.

Absolutely! Half the things you want to look up in the indfex aren't there. It's as if someone has whizzed thru the document as a an afterthought, randomly picking some points here and there for indexing, completely ignoring others.

And there's another point here, I think ... ie what the manual is (and isn't) supposed to do. For example, how to access the EQ plugins to add EQ, not when to add a touch around 2500 or when to add a high pass filter. Any more than the Microsoft Word manual is supposed to teach you about composing sentences or how to write like Tolstoy.

It's a shame when sometimes (only sometimes) people fork out their $500 (0r whatever) but then get frustrated and angry wityh Cakewalk because they can't then turn out an awesome hit single 24 hours later.
Susan G
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 02:33:42 (permalink)
HiGeoff-
Absolutely! Half the things you want to look up in the indfex aren't there. It's as if someone has whizzed thru the document as a an afterthought

The Index was generated automatically. There are much better ways to do it.

-Susan

glazfolk
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 02:42:54 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: D K
Gotta agree with you here Boogie and the reason is I was one of those people - I started with 8 and then 9 - Left the game for a while and thought I could jump back in at Sonar 4 - Big difference and a lot of renewing the mind - Check some of my past post and you will find many stupid questions that were covered in the manual that I had read extensively (along w/ Sonar Power & Ignite)

Personally I don't have any problem with people posting newbiew questions ... nobody is born knowing anything. But I do get annoyed when the question comes with attitude - we've all seen them. You know, the "Sonar sucks because I just forked out $500 for this and I installed it and can't figure out what to do next" sort of post ... we've all seen them.
glazfolk
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 03:26:54 (permalink)

HiGeoff-
Absolutely! Half the things you want to look up in the indfex aren't there. It's as if someone has whizzed thru the document as a an afterthought

The Index was generated automatically. There are much better ways to do it.

-Susan

OK, then here's an offer to Cakewalk.

This index thing has been a gripe of mine for years. If they'd care to let me have a prepublication copy of (presumably) the next edition, presumably Sonar 6 manual, in (I assume) Word format, I'll happily go through it in my own time, without charge, and create a decent index for them.

Best,
Geoff

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
DigitalDesign Speakers
LostChord
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 203
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 04:33:54 (permalink)
This index thing has been a gripe of mine for years

You also need to think of the GUI here as well. Everything there that can be manipulated should have a Tool Tip and that should link into both the online help index and the hardcopy index.

Having done an index or two for manuals - and merged them to make a master index - many years ago I know it is a non-trivial task!!

in (I assume) Word format

Best product I ever used for large scale documentation was Framemaker - now owned by Adobe. Again this was a long time ago It could handle document variants in different languages, had spelling checkers for different languages, the works. Having seen the Dim Pro and Rapture manuals it would be ideal.

cheers

We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.
jinga8
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5817
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 07:03:49 (permalink)
This is totally, awsomely nonsensical. The real question is Bosons vs. Fermions, not Bose vs. Fender. Also, newbies are cool as long as they STAY cool...and please go talk to shea if you want help getting REAL performance right out of the box...he is SOOOOOO cool!!! Anyone for tennis?
tonester
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 823
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 07:44:49 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Barking Dog

But anyway, at least there IS a manual!

Exactly! Many software programs out there give you a quick-start guide and nothing more. At least Sonar gives you a more thorough staring point. Whether folks choose to read it, well...........

I agree with Susan. I myself was a newbie from ProAudio 8. I tried to make sure that I had SOME understanding about computers and recording before I asked my stupid questions. But there are people out there that troll this forum with inane questions about cheap soundcards, and "why their expensive hardware workstation sounds like crap when they use Sonar" , so you have to think that many of them are using pirated software, and have no access to any printed material

just my take,

Tony
www.myspace.com/livesayrox
Dave Modisette
  • Total Posts : 11050
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 08:23:51 (permalink)
The way to maintain your sanity with the repetition of the same problems posted dailey is to apprentice the Noobs. If you've been around for a long time and are bothered by the Noob level questions then don't answer them. Allow the Noobs to help other Noobs. The first people to respond to a "I hear my previous tracks on newly recorded tracks" should be the less than 100 posts members. Give them a chance to participate by helping fellow Noobs with the experience level they have achieved. It's them that should be giving back to the forum by offering the "Turn off What You Hear" replies. When you see something that you remember from a year or two ago and you think you might have insight to the problem then chime in.

Anyway, that's what's been working for me.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
aj
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1084
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 08:33:15 (permalink)
Actually lots of people post questions here (myself included) that may well be answered somewhere in the manual. The problem is that
(a) most of us people outside the US didn't get a proper printed manual only a multi-language book that covers the basics and otherwise is more use as a monitor stand.

(b) Out of the box, the default settings for some options like snap to and per project audio are just about guaranteed to cause new users grief (Cake, why not set them to something more rational?)

(c) The online help is actually pretty useless. It does not focus on 'how do I' questions and is often irritatingly vague.

(d) New users often come to grief with things like audio card setup etc and there should be a LOT more material on this topic. Why not, for instance, cover say the dozen most popular audio interfaces with an FAQ. I think a lot of people would buy whatever's considered popular e.g Fireface or UA25 or whatever if they knew that there was an FAQ in getting these setup and handling common issues.

Hence, it's quicker to come and ask. Hey, we're all here to help. Is it really such a hassle to see questions you can't be bothered answering. Then in that case why bother even reading the thread, just skip the topic.
ByronSanto
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 247
Not All Newbies! 2006/06/14 08:40:19 (permalink)

Hi-

It irritates me when people come here with no previous experience with DAW software and then complain about how hard it is to get started and how bad the documentation is, without spending any time at all with it.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm more than happy to help beginners, but if you're brand new to DAW software, start with Music Creator or Home Studio -- why jump feet first into the relatively much more expensive SONAR Producer (not even Studio) Edition?

And then why complain that it doesn't hold your hand through the basics?

And while I'm at it, assuming you might be in over your head with an "advanced" product when you've never gone through the basics, the very least you can do is go through the Tutorials before you whine that's it's all too hard & complicated. There's plenty of introductory material in the SONAR 5 Manual & Help file if you just take the time to read it.

All I'm saying is if you buy an expensive software package that you know nothing about, expect to spend a little time with the manual -- at least before you attack it for being inadequate.

Thanks-

-Susan

Well I'm a Newbie to DAW softwares! In fact I started using 5 PE in Nov-05 and I have never "complained about bad documentation" or that "it doesn't hold your hand through the basics"!

First thing I did even before using it was read the manual. Then I purchased all three books and read those. I also picked up the csi Master DVD as well and any other info that I may have found. I still read the books just about every day. There is still a good bit for me to learn but I have managed to 99% complete a 62-track mixdown and that is with playing or sequencing, including drums (No Loops) all inst's and creating a 32-part choir from a few of my singers harmonies vox's. Plus all of the plug-ins, their functionality and as well as learning Sound Forge & CD-Arch.

Tell me, could I have accomplished such a composition with "Music Creator or Home Studio"?
Plyrman
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1062
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 08:43:21 (permalink)
Who is this person inpersonating "Susan G".....

and how do you "start" Sonar.... I loaded it , turned my PC on

but nothing happens....???

Mike G.
Sonar X3 Custom Build: IntelCore2Quad, 16 gig Ram, Asus Z87-Plus, Internal 200GB SATA HDD (1) 320GB SATA HDD (2), Motif Rack, Roland Juno-G, Trigger Finger, Keystation 88, Tascam FW1082, JBL 4328's
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1