OT: My gripe with Newbies

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
jimst57
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 151
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 21:52:15 (permalink)
Susan is usually very calm. I live with two women and I'm willing to take a guess.

It's that time of the month.

Personality change.

(sorry...just my first thought when I read your message....hehe)
three_eyed_otter
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 22:22:39 (permalink)
So much for music being an outlet.

have a good one
3Eo
cAPSLOCK
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1071
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 22:34:41 (permalink)
WOO HOO!!! A "5-page OT debate"!!!

I did it.

I haven't forgotton that whiskey Phrauge.

No wait... I am too late! :(
post edited by cAPSLOCK - 2006/06/14 22:45:42

"We da da sahw pe paw fidlily-doobee afidlily-dooten-bweebee!" -Shooby
cAPSLOCK
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 22:37:26 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jimst57
It's that time of the month.

Um... Oops. ;)

You obviously understand women very well! They are always happy when someone brings this reasoning up.
post edited by cAPSLOCK - 2006/06/14 22:48:49

Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 22:46:43 (permalink)
I think it's often a matter of perception. Internet forums are often seen (more or less candidly) as a quick (and more importantly, legitimate) alternative to reading/browsing through the manuals... I know that that's how I perceived them in the old Cakewalk newsgroups days...

Now, since I'm a geek I read the whole manual twice in less than two weeks when I first started out, and then all the articles I could find on Cakewalk's website before I even thought about browsing the newsgroups. But I also think that a lot of people assume that they'll be able to figure out this (intuitive) application pretty easily and don't want to browse through hundreds of pages when they run into a problem with something even they consider "basic" - hence the frustration and the arrogance in some cases.

So the only valid options to me are: help when I can, try and bring back the discussion to a more rationnal level, or then, simply ignore the threads.

That being said, I still feel that this particular discussion is as legitimate as the above-mentionned assumption. That's what those forums are about.

Edit: How boring and overly rationnal have I become... I guess all I was trying to say was RTFM!!! ;)
post edited by Rain - 2006/06/14 23:03:18

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Rev. Jem
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1723
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/14 22:48:27 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jimst57

I live with two women and I'm willing to take a guess... [etc.]

Your sensitivity & understanding surpasses all. <edit> insult withdrawn... you're not worth it.

ditto cAPSLOCK's comment.
post edited by Rev. Jem - 2006/06/14 22:59:03
cAPSLOCK
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/15 00:30:00 (permalink)
For what its worth... to be serious for a moment...

I agree with the basic original comment this thread was based on.

The biggest thing for me is the fact that there are folks out there who did not buy the software and and looking to us to be their manuals for them.

Also, Sonar is, of the major apps out there in this realm, the easiest to learn.

axe
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 733
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/15 00:34:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Susan G

Hi AXE-

I do not view these threads as very courteous or setting a good impression for those visiting this site.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

-Susan

Honestly, I don't think you ever would. You are nothing but extremely helpful on this board and I love reading your posts.

It's those with a lesser pedigree that I worry about.

AXE
Barking Dog
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 146
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/15 01:39:13 (permalink)
Can I make a few suggestions? (That may have already been made, thanks to the length of this thread)

First, that some not-so-expert, but not-so-newbie, forum users like me should step up and answer their share of annoying newbie questions and take the weight off the regular contributors like Susan. Reduce the "too few doing too much" factor.

But with this in mind, it'd be great if anyone could tag any string as "Solved" or "Answered" and save others the time spent in browsing strings that you find out have been replied.

Similarly, it would be good to be able to tag any string as "Difficult" or "Needs expert", so someone like me who may not be able to provide an answer, but can recognise it's a valid query of an interesting nature, can alert others to it.

All very open to abuse, unfortunately, but maybe someone can come up with a fine-tune alternative?

Now someone's going to tell emyou can already do it!

Cheers, Bag.
johndale
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3228
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/15 01:45:53 (permalink)
Thank you Mr. Dog.................
MArwood
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1816
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/15 03:06:23 (permalink)
Does this thread have anything to do with "Can We Have A PRO Forum" ?

Max Arwood
thunderkyss
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1207
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/15 12:36:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Barking Dog

Can I make a few suggestions? (That may have already been made, thanks to the length of this thread)

First, that some not-so-expert, but not-so-newbie, forum users like me should step up and answer their share of annoying newbie questions and take the weight off the regular contributors like Susan. Reduce the "too few doing too much" factor.

Cheers, Bag.

that's not really addressing the point.... I don't consider myself all that, a guru, and I barely hang around here enough, to call myself useful. but I'll click on a topic, and if it's a goofy question, I pass.... I don't even answer. If it's trolling, sometimes I join in, and have some fun. If it's basic stuff, like "how do you convert midi to audio".... that tells me the guy knows nothing about midi...... nothing about recording..... back in my day, we did the crawl before you walk thing.

I'm a guitar player, and my basic understanding of midi was better than some of the guys we see coming in here. Heck, I knew it was different from audio..... I wouldn't plug my guitar cable into an effects processor, and expect it to change settings for me, or call up a different patch....

But........ c'est la vi?? it's a different time now..... maybe we're foolish for expecting someone to understand basic concepts introduced in the first 25 pages of a manual....

Perhaps it is not them, who is the problem..... maybe our FAQ(old way of thinking) approach just ain't cutting it.

What we should do is have the FAQ pop up, with a text search field, every time someone visits this site, with less than 150 posts.... unless they specifically turn it off in their profile.

And the first item in the FAQ, will be how to go into your profile, and turn off the pop up.

dcastle
  • Total Posts : 2623
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/15 14:30:35 (permalink)
But with this in mind, it'd be great if anyone could tag any string as "Solved" or "Answered" and save others the time spent in browsing strings that you find out have been replied.

Similarly, it would be good to be able to tag any string as "Difficult" or "Needs expert", so someone like me who may not be able to provide an answer, but can recognise it's a valid query of an interesting nature, can alert others to it.

Ah, but it can, and I often encourage people to change the subject of their first post to "SOLVED: yada yada" when it is solved.

Regards,
David

ASUS M3A78 AMD 9950 Quad 2.6G 8GB
Shure • Rhode • Audio-Technica • Allen&Heath GL2200-24
MOTU 24i • Presonus Firepod • E-MU 1212m • Zoom H2
SONAR 2XL-8PE • Sound Forge 1-9 • Audacity 0.1-1.3
Infinite5ths
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3631
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/15 14:44:40 (permalink)
I just love the fact that Susan G wisely bailed out of this thread after PAGE 2 -- the point where things started getting ugly. I wonder where she went... She's probably out helping newbie users and answering their questions -- in SPITE of the sentiments she expressed in her original post.

Now THAT is a good example.

Mike
MichaelDanchi.com
IPM Productions
Sonar 8PE, Project 5 v2.5, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Z3TA+, RME FF400 + Presonus DigiMax FS
dcastle
  • Total Posts : 2623
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/15 15:00:04 (permalink)
I just love the fact that Susan G wisely bailed out of this thread after PAGE 2 -- the point where things started getting ugly. I wonder where she went… She's probably out helping newbie users and answering their questions -- in SPITE of the sentiments she expressed in her original post.

Nope, she seems to have gotten stuck on this thread and then given up, it's too bad some of the old-timers have gotten discouraged lately.
No New Messages  	 	   RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies   	SONAR  	Susan G  	n/a  	n/a  	 6/13/2006 11:33:42 PM
Susan G [open new window]
No New Messages RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies SONAR Susan G n/a n/a 6/13/2006 10:52:24 PM
No New Messages RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies SONAR Susan G n/a n/a 6/13/2006 10:43:32 PM
No New Messages RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies SONAR Susan G n/a n/a 6/13/2006 10:23:23 PM
No New Messages RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies SONAR Susan G n/a n/a 6/13/2006 10:18:11 PM
No New Messages RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies SONAR Susan G n/a n/a 6/13/2006 10:08:40 PM
No New Messages RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies SONAR Susan G n/a n/a 6/13/2006 9:50:27 PM
No New Messages RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies SONAR Susan G n/a n/a 6/13/2006 7:47:05 PM
No New Messages RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies SONAR Susan G n/a n/a 6/13/2006 7:42:58 PM
No New Messages RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies SONAR Susan G n/a n/a 6/13/2006 7:25:49 PM
No New Messages RE: OT: Are you getting e-mails from CW? SONAR Susan G n/a n/a 6/13/2006 7:17:19 PM
No New Messages RE: OT: Are you getting e-mails from CW? SONAR Susan G n/a n/a 6/13/2006 7:01:54 PM
No New Messages RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies SONAR Susan G n/a n/a 6/13/2006 6:03:17 PM
No New Messages RE: OT: Are you getting e-mails from CW? SONAR Susan G n/a n/a 6/13/2006 5:50:04 PM
No New Messages RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies SONAR Susan G n/a n/a 6/13/2006 5:33:31 PM
No New Messages OT: My gripe with Newbies SONAR Susan G 133 2361 6/15/2006 11:44:41 AM
Infinite5ths [open new window]

ASUS M3A78 AMD 9950 Quad 2.6G 8GB
Shure • Rhode • Audio-Technica • Allen&Heath GL2200-24
MOTU 24i • Presonus Firepod • E-MU 1212m • Zoom H2
SONAR 2XL-8PE • Sound Forge 1-9 • Audacity 0.1-1.3
Infinite5ths
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3631
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/15 15:03:41 (permalink)
She probably has better things to do.

Mike
MichaelDanchi.com
IPM Productions
Sonar 8PE, Project 5 v2.5, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Z3TA+, RME FF400 + Presonus DigiMax FS
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/15 15:04:41 (permalink)
Hi Folks-

[dcastle: I'm not sure what your last post means, but anyway]

Sorry I didn't have time yesterday to read all the replies, let alone respond. I certainly didn't think it would go to 5 pages or whatever!

Just a few quick comments:
- I won't mention anyone specifically, but yes, the "type" of newbie I'm griping about is someone who comes in with a sense of entitlement, not someone who's read the documentation and doesn't understand it. Anyone who says [paraphrasing] "I don't have time to read the documentation or go through the Tutorials -- I just want to make music. So gimmee, gimmee" bugs me. It really does take so much longer that way. "Give a man a fish..." and all that does pertain.

- "Some" newbies don't appear to have legitimate copies of the software, and *some* of those seem to be the ones who are asking for help every step of the way. Well, duh! If you're using the demo, say so, and many of us will be more than willing to help if we can. If you're using a pirated version, go ahead and say that, too, and some here will be willing to help, but others might not. That's their right. Personally, I don't like it when people ask newbie questions here, complain about the software or how difficult it is to master and then it turns out they didn't pay for the software in the first place.

- I used to teach Help Authoring to Help Authors, and many of them had never pressed F1 in either Word or the Help Authoring tool itself. This might sound unbelievable, but it's absolutely true!

- The Index is pretty awful, agreed. It was a lazy/automatic job, but often the Documentation Team doesn't have much choice. Some think it's better to have a bad Index than none at all. The Search tab in the Help file is much more useful if you know how to use it.

- About the "time of the month" comment. Sorry, but I didn't think it was amusing (hehe -- not).

Thanks-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
lazarous
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1461
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/15 15:31:30 (permalink)
Ya know, I must be weird or something. One of the main reasons I went with Sonar in the first place was due to how easy it was for me to set it up. I've been working with Sonar since 1.31, but substantially after it was released (I think 3 was just coming out when I got my hands on it).

I talked to all my friends who do music, and they loaned me their copies/I downloaded demos/etc., installed them all, and began trying them out until I figured out which one actually worked for me.

Sonar was the only one I could get noise out of within a minute of completing the installation. Played with it for a couple of months (along with the other stuff) and decided it was the only one that worked intuitively for me.

Honestly, I wasn't aware of this forum until about 6 months before I purchased Sonar 4 PE, and would never have thought to ask questions here for the copy I had... I knew it wasn't technically "legit" - I was given a copy by a friend who had gone a different direction and uninstalled his. As soon as we started working with customers and such, there was no question as to which package we were purchasing.

I can't wait to see what they're wedging under the hood for 6. Should be cool! lol

This is an incredibly helpful forum. Answering the "Why doesn't Sonar work with my Soundblaster" questions must be frustrating... thanks to all of the tireless people who help out!

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
2Gb DDR2 400
RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
UAD1 4.2
WinXP Pro SP2
Sonar 8.3PE
New Henry and Buster episodes available!
JoseC.
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 471
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/15 17:15:10 (permalink)
I think the issue here is that many people seem to think that buying DAW software will make them producers/engineers, and that just fiddling with the user interface (or, at best, reading the manual) should teach them recording techniques. Sometimes they are musicians and can play an instrument to some extent, but these days of a computer in every kid's bedroom they often expect the DAW to become the instrument itself.

All this remids me of a funny story. One of my sisters is a Civil Engineer specialized in Structures (after my father, he is a respected bridge designer) and shortly after she got her degree she got a job selling the Structure Design software that most Spanish engineering and construction companies used at that time. One day, a guy who had bought one license called very angry complaining that the program was broken. He was designing a gas station canopy and when he ran a simulation it kept on tipping over no matter how he made it. It turned out that he wasn't an engineer, or an architect. He explained that he had been granted permits to open three gas stations in some rural area and that he had bought the software to design the canopies himself, so he could give them his personal touch.
Blades
  • Total Posts : 3246
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/15 21:15:23 (permalink)
BarkingDog...

From the manual - doing a search for "clean audio folders"...this is the second link in the search, called "deleting unused audio files"...

The Tools-Clean Audio Folder command is used to delete digital audio files in an audio folder if they are no longer used by any of your projects. You should use this command from time to time to free up disk space.

This command searches your entire system for project files, and then compiles a list of all the audio files in a specified folder that are not in use by any of these projects. You can then choose to delete these audio files. Make sure that all of your important project (.cwp, .wrk) files are stored on your local hard disk(s) before using this command. If your project files are stored elsewhere (removable media, etc.), then you risk accidentally deleting important audio files that are associated with your projects

I thought this was fairly clear to its purpose.

Hint...the helpfile on your pc (sonar.chm) IS the same as the manual, except it's text searchable like any helpfile, so you can look for more than is in the index of the hardcopy version. You can also make a copy of this single file to a laptop or even a pocket pc for offline use.

Susan is basically right in her observation - people need to take a little responsibility for themselves for a prodcut as advanced as this - it requires some dedication to get into just like any advaced hobby or professional product. I tried to do some 3D modeling, but I learned that the apps are complex and - GASP - require a certain amount of talent, study, and practice...damn them.

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/15 22:08:27 (permalink)
Susan,

We've all pretty much jumped ship and are over at that other place now.
Come into the light.
nprime
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2423
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/15 23:12:43 (permalink)
I admire all of you who still put up with this place.

I got tired of being technical support without pay.

R

Listen

Sonar 5PE
Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
Vuzz13
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 350
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/15 23:22:15 (permalink)
Before you bug out, I need a serial number and a manual.........'cause I lost mine
when my dog ate it and fell into a black hole.....
so quit debating and give it up, fer chrissakes....

"I continue to require more cowbell..."
"Turn the light on so I can hear it better..."
Asus M4A89GTDPro/ Asus p8z68v-lx 
AMD 1042/intel I5 3ghz   
Layla3G
XPpro/Win 7 32/64
X1PE/SPE8.5 ,P5v2,DimP,SForge,Audition,GS3,WusikS,QS-7, Reason, bunch o' plug-ins...love soft synths 
razor
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1557
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/15 23:26:54 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: s_barber

As MIS with a teaching certificate and user of Cakewalk 1 from way back I have a perspective I like to offer to all of the "experts" in this forum. For the "newbies" instead of spoon feeding the answers you might consider an alternative approach. How about teaching them how to teach themselves. Instead of handing the answer over refer them to the manual or other documentation. Point them to the index or show them how to search for their own help. I've trained hundreds of PC users over the last 25 years and the best way for people to learn I've found is to teach them how to think and learn for themselves.

Boogie has a good point. Everyone was a newbie once. Someday they may have a helpful hint or two for you!

"Give a man a fish--feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish--feed him for a lifetime" Eh?

sd
glazfolk
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5253
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/16 00:08:12 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: s_barber
Instead of handing the answer over refer them to the manual or other documentation. Point them to the index or show them how to search for their own help.

Well I agree with you. The trouble is that if you do take this approach on this forum, there's never any shortage of people willing to flame you for it:

Example:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.asp?m=726081&key=manual

Best,
Geoff
inmazevo
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3276
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/16 00:16:06 (permalink)
Is this really worthy of this much debate...?
Seriously?
Is there a proposed solution, or are we just stating what p**ses us off.

I mean no offense, but it's a forum:

Ask... at will.
Answer... at will.
Ignore... at will.

Other than the goofy "pro" and "vote" trolling that goes on periodically, particularly this week, no one else here bothers me.

- zevo
dbmusic
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1150
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/16 00:22:23 (permalink)
IMO, if you find something puerile, lacking in effort, or otherwise unsatisfying, then move on. A non-response can be incentive to seek other means to a resolution. That happened with me a few times. I found other ways to learn what I needed to know (sometimes I even read the manual ;) I can now proudly to proclaim to be an "informed" newbie...and probably always will be. There's will always be something "new" to learn.

DB Music

SoundClick
OurStage
mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/16 02:20:33 (permalink)

Susan, as a newbie myself with very little prior recording experience, I consider multiple learning resources. Among those are the brief manual that came with my HS4, the onboard help manual (which is extensive), the two books I bought by McGarrigle and Smithers, and, last but not least, the Sonar forum. This is simply another way to learn how to use the program, and it is my great good fortune that most posters are generous and gracious enough to lend a helping hand. I'm not critical of the manuals, and am having a blast learning how to do it all, as painstaking as it may be. However, Susan, with all respect, if the newbies irritate you, perhaps you should just skip those threads and let us fledglings muddle about the best we can. I've found you to be helpful as well, so ...........thanks.
johndale
  • Total Posts : 3228
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/16 05:19:53 (permalink)
From the manual - doing a search for "clean audio folders"...this is the second link in the search, called "deleting unused audio files"...

Well I still share, as I do from time to time sometimes. Be very carefull with that command. It has been known to eat things into cyberspace, you did not wish it to. Don't punch that button till you are sure of which files are going bye-bye....................
SteveJL
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/16 06:15:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: johndale

Well I still share, as I do from time to time sometimes. Be very carefull with that command. It has been known to eat things into cyberspace, you did not wish it to. Don't punch that button till you are sure of which files are going bye-bye....................

and that they are backed up first.......

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1