Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
2006/06/13 20:05:39 (permalink)

OT: My gripe with Newbies

Hi-

It irritates me when people come here with no previous experience with DAW software and then complain about how hard it is to get started and how bad the documentation is, without spending any time at all with it.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm more than happy to help beginners, but if you're brand new to DAW software, start with Music Creator or Home Studio -- why jump feet first into the relatively much more expensive SONAR Producer (not even Studio) Edition?

And then why complain that it doesn't hold your hand through the basics?

And while I'm at it, assuming you might be in over your head with an "advanced" product when you've never gone through the basics, the very least you can do is go through the Tutorials before you whine that's it's all too hard & complicated. There's plenty of introductory material in the SONAR 5 Manual & Help file if you just take the time to read it.

All I'm saying is if you buy an expensive software package that you know nothing about, expect to spend a little time with the manual -- at least before you attack it for being inadequate.

Thanks-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64

150 Replies Related Threads

yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 20:09:01 (permalink)
    Hear, Hear! Couldn't agree more. Well said.

Now who are you and what have you done with Susan!?

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 20:12:18 (permalink)
    The computer music world lends itself towards a problem-solving, boot-strapping mentality. Too many people just want to be chauffered through the process. I agree.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Phrauge
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 20:15:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Susan G
    It irritates me when people come here with no previous experience with DAW software and then complain about how hard it is to get started and how bad the documentation is, without spending any time at all with it.

I find it very funny when someone claims to have read and not understood the manual. Then someone quotes the manual, verbatum, and the original poster all of sudden understands. Funny how that works, isn't it.

I'm guessing that this may be one of the reasons Honest Al is taking a breather from the forum.
    BruceEnnis
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 20:22:02 (permalink)
    I completely understand your frustration its been crazy lately. Remember schools are out and as usual kids are at play it happens every summer. Also there seems to be some confusion over Home Studio owners posting in the Sonar forum.

Bruce Ennis
    Studio
    Boogie
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2106
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 20:22:27 (permalink)
    Sorry to say this Susan, but at least those posts are on-topic. Trying to start a 5-page OT debate doesn't help improve the S/N ratio around here. We were all newbies once. If we point these people in the right direction instead of being rude to them, it's possible that once they've gained some experience, they will pass on their knowledge to the next generation of newbies.

DaveT
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 724
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 20:29:26 (permalink)
    I support PCs for a living. I can assure you, most PC users won't even look at help file let alone read a manual. I started with Cakewalk 7. From my experience, Cakewalk has some of the best tutorials I've ever used. You newbies need to "RTFM". Stop wining, pissing and moaning. Go read…

DaveT
    glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 20:29:34 (permalink)
    I agree that there's no call for rudeness, but then I don't think there was anything rude or disrespectful about Susan's post.

Alas (grumpy old man talking), we do seem to live in an age where "instant gratification" is often demanded and where for whatever reason many people don't seem to accept the "no gain without pain" concept. I'm not saying life should be difficult, just that people need to be realistic.

You wouldn't buy yourself a set of surgeon's tools then complain when you got them home that they're crap because you still can't perform open heart surgery. Or maybe some people would.

Best,
    Geoff

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
    Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
    2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
    Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
    DigitalDesign Speakers
    Susan G
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 20:33:30 (permalink)
    Hi Boogie-
    Trying to start a 5-page OT debate doesn't help improve the S/N ratio around here. We were all newbies once. If we point these people in the right direction instead of being rude to them, it's possible that once they've gained some experience, they will pass on their knowledge to the next generation of newbies.

I wasn't trying to start anything, let alone a "5-page OT debate", and I don't think I've been rude to anyone. I hope not, anyway.

-Susan

Barking Dog
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 146
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 20:36:01 (permalink)
    At great risk of annoying Susan further, I'll stick my hand up for the opposite argument (kind of). I agree people shouldn't take on more technology than they can chew- no problem there.

But I will suggest the Sonar 5 manual isn't well written- or at best well indexed. It's big, sure. But as someone converting over from SX3 and theoretically with half an idea what I'm trying to do, I find the manual difficult for finding what I need to learn. Most likely, the information is in there, but hard to pin-point. A recent post of mine is a good example. I asked about the Clean Audio Folders function and why it seemed to ignore my Project Folder, and scan my entire PC. Apparently, it's supposed to do that, which makes it more of a maintenance function than a quick "get-rid-of-bad-takes" function. The manual doesn't explain this. It's the kind of info I feel the manual often falls short of explaining. But anyway, at least there IS a manual!

And I must say, you folks are generally too good. It's easier for many people to post a newbie question and get a quick reply courtesy of YOUR time and knowledge, than make the effort to investigate themselves.

Another thing, by the way. This forum seems to have no security against cracked-version users who have no manual. Or is the Sonar registration cross-referenced?

Regards, Bag.
    D K
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1237
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 20:37:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Boogie

Sorry to say this Susan, but at least those posts are on-topic. Trying to start a 5-page OT debate doesn't help improve the S/N ratio around here. We were all newbies once. If we point these people in the right direction instead of being rude to them, it's possible that once they've gained some experience, they will pass on their knowledge to the next generation of newbies.

Gotta agree with you here Boogie and the reason is I was one of those people - I started with 8 and then 9 - Left the game for a while and thought I could jump back in at Sonar 4 - Big difference and a lot of renewing the mind - Check some of my past post and you will find many stupid questions that were covered in the manual that I had read extensively (along w/ Sonar Power & Ignite)

Sometimes speaking with another user paints a better picture - Some people have a better way with words than a manual and/or a book. It took a while, Lots and lots of reading and a lot of help from the good people here but I finally have my feet on the ground - Would have taken much longer without you're help!

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K
    Win 7 64bit /8 Gig Ram/WD-Seagate Drives(x3)
    Sonar 8.5.3 (32bit)/Sonar X3b(64bit)/Pro Tools 9
    Lavry Blue/Black Lion Audio Mod Tango 24/RME Hammerfall Multiface II/UAD Duo

Dale Aston
    • Total Posts : 1204
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 20:44:31 (permalink)
    Good point, Susan.

As you probably know from past threads I have my own filter in place to weed out newbie questions like these. I skip the thread if the user has less than 20 - 30 posts.

Since Ron Kuper has made it clear that the forum is here to offer support to all users, it appears Cakewalk is not going to change the forum software to make it easier to discuss selected topics with others who share your same level of expertise. This seems rather short sighted IMO. Example: Would you go to a party where no one was over 16? I think not.

Sure, I can scan all the posts and read only those that catch my attention and meet my criteria but it's becoming very tiresome and I find myself losing interest. The problem would be solved with some kind of notation indicating the level of knowledge/experience with Sonar.
    post edited by Dale Aston - 2006/06/13 20:54:37
    D K
    • Total Posts : 1237
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 20:55:49 (permalink)

As you probably know from past threads I have my own filter in place to weed out newbie questions like these. I skip the thread if the user has less than 20 - 30 posts.

With all due respect Dale - I have seen some pretty heady post by some people with less than 20 post conversley I have seen some blatantly ridiculous post by some people with 500+ post

Just an observation - YMMV

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K
    Win 7 64bit /8 Gig Ram/WD-Seagate Drives(x3)
    Sonar 8.5.3 (32bit)/Sonar X3b(64bit)/Pro Tools 9
    Lavry Blue/Black Lion Audio Mod Tango 24/RME Hammerfall Multiface II/UAD Duo

Rev. Jem
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1723
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 21:01:40 (permalink)
    Gak ! Totally agreed, Susan. I think that I feel even more strongly about it than you, but then I'm not as good a person, methinks.

That's why I figure we should have one more forum (only one more, promise !) at the top of the page called Getting Started & all proby posts should be moved there by CW mods or (in the case of SOS), volunteer mods from the forum community.

Folk who are, by their own admission & choice, so obviously in over their heads piss me off so I don't bother to offer them help. Work a little, for cryin out loud !

I expect others to do as I did when I knew sod all. Patience, reading & experimentation: it's fun & sooooo frackn easy.

Those who like to assist the incurably helpless & lazy can do it in another forum where I don't have to accidentally trip over yet another RTFM/What U Hear/When-I-Record-My-second-track-it-records-the-first-one bolleaux.

Hey, whaddya want... Peace, Love an bleedin Understanding ?
    Susan G
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 21:03:17 (permalink)
    In reply to no one in particular!

I'm not suggesting that beginners shouldn't ask for or expect help here. What bugs me is when they say the manual is useless, or that they can't take the time to go through the Tutorials, or that they didn't find anything that pertained to their problem. Just give the documentation a shot, and then ask a question when you're stumped. Why not try that route?

-Susan

Phrauge
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 21:34:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Barking Dog
    I will suggest the Sonar 5 manual isn't well written- or at best well indexed. It's big, sure. But as someone converting over from SX3 and theoretically with half an idea what I'm trying to do, I find the manual difficult for finding what I need to learn.

Since you're coming from a different app, the jargon is probably not the same. What's called one thing in SX3 might be called something different in S5. This makes searching difficult. I know that doing the Tutorials is a PITA for seasoned DAW operators but they are a good way to learn the basics and the jargon. It makes it much easier to help someone when they can tell you what step of a tutorial is giving them problems.

Having read many manuals from different companies, Sonar's manual, while not perfect, is one of the best.

I must say, you folks are generally too good. It's easier for many people to post a newbie question and get a quick reply courtesy of YOUR time and knowledge, than make the effort to investigate themselves.

No doubt.

Another thing, by the way. This forum seems to have no security against cracked-version users who have no manual.

There is none.
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 21:40:01 (permalink)
    Attention Moderators: Please make a PRO forum (then all the newbies will post there)

More seriously, to echo DK and Boogie, we were all newbies once, and frankly, a lot of the blame belongs with cakewalk, if you're gonna go slinging blame. Faulting a company for trying to make money is like faulting a shark for eating fish, but take a look at the ads for this stuff. Nowhere does it say "for advanced users only," or "if you don't know what you're doing, steer clear." It's all "turn your PC into a professional recording studio today!" A lot of these kids (grownups, too) have never used anything more complex than a cassette recorder, maybe a four track.

And the fact is, that advertizing is pretty much correct, and when you buy Sonar, you bought the whole shebang. Often, the best way to deal with these newbies who want to skip the manual and just "look up" the part they want to know is to remind them that they didn't buy a jet ski, they bought a nuclear submarine, and chances are, the reason they forked out the dough is because they wanted the power and flexibility, and a genuine "pro studio" in a box.

Remember, when you watch MTV and see the studio engineer sitting there surrounded by thousands of faders, knobs, blinking lights, rackmount boxes, patchbays, cables, meters, etc, remember that that dude (or chick) knows off the top of his or her head pretty much what all of them are for and what they're all set to and why.
    Barking Dog:
    ...But I will suggest the Sonar 5 manual isn't well written...

I pretty strongly disagree with this, but i can understand how a lot of beginners could feel that way in this age of "plug and play" everything. Barking Dog may have found a shortcoming when it comes to a rather obscure, application-specific sub-feature, but for the most part, Sonar's manual is among the best out there, in terms of clarity, comprehensiveness, readability, and searchability.

The thing is, you have to already understand a fair number of underlying concepts to make sense of any given section of the manual. Sonar is a vast and complex piece of kit. If you read the manual from beginning to end, it actually does an excellent job of providing a crash course in multitrack and computer audio, midi, signal routing, loops, sound sampling and synthesis, etc, as well as covering the program in great depth.

If you're starting from scratch, sonar can be a daunting experience, because it is pretty much capable of everything, including some very sophisticated audio routing and processing. It's not sonar, it's multitrack/digital/audio/midi itself that is often counter-intuitive. This is very easy-to-use software for expert-level users, but it is designed for stuff that requires a certain level of expertise in the first place.

My $.02, anyway.

Cheers.
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 21:49:18 (permalink)
    Manual is well-written, but I agree that it's badly indexed.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Stone House Studios
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3550
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 22:03:53 (permalink)
    The thing is, you have to already understand a fair number of underlying concepts to make sense of any given section of the manual. Sonar is a vast and complex piece of kit. If you read the manual from beginning to end, it actually does an excellent job of providing a crash course in multitrack and computer audio, midi, signal routing, loops, sound sampling and synthesis, etc, as well as covering the program in great depth.

And here is an obscure piece of trivia that some may find amusing:

Susan has been bashed by some ol' timers for being too responsive to new folks!

So if she is finding that one can only say "Audio is not midi" or "turn off the 'What you hear option' or "You really do need an external midi instrument before you should worry about midi outs" or "please read up about what a soft synth is" or "You can't hear anything until you tell it to play through something", etc. then I say it is OK for her to finally let out her frustration!

Of course she will continue to offer help where she can - but she may just be a little more selective. Al used to be honored here; BaMidi was a sage; Yep helped me learn; we all move on. Love Ya Susan!

Brian

Core i7-6700@3.40Ghz  Windows 10x64 16 GB RAM
    Sonar Platinum/Studio One     PreSonus Studio 192
    razor
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1557
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 22:12:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Phrauge

I find it very funny when someone claims to have read and not understood the manual. Then someone quotes the manual, verbatum, and the original poster all of sudden understands. Funny how that works, isn't it.

I'm guessing that this may be one of the reasons Honest Al is taking a breather from the forum.

Yea, but if folks read their manuals, us techs would be out of business. :-p

At my work, it never ceases to amaze us how we will email the company about a tech related change, and then we will be bombarded with clients asking what is wrong--or my computer is broken. I always reply with the original email and tell them to read it again.

In the MIS department, we have a curt response to these type of clients and it might apply to Susan's gripe. "Do you read the (emails)manual, or do you just look at the pretty pictures?"

sd

PS. I have a question: How does Susan feel about folks who post questions to this forum that have already been asked and answered in another string? Should we be more diligent in searching the forum for the answers before we post a new question? I know I'm guilty of that one.
    Sid Viscous
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 22:12:59 (permalink)
    I blame all of this on ADATs.
    axe
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 733
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 22:14:19 (permalink)
    I do not view these threads as very courteous or setting a good impression for those visiting this site. Honestly, it is a little elitist (Cubasish, European) or at least comes off that way. There is no one forcing you to read or respond to these posts. The amount of traffic should make you mindful that you landed on the product that is on its way up.

:)

AXE
    Sid Viscous
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 22:17:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: axe

I do not view these threads as very courteous or setting a good impression for those visiting this site. Honestly, it is a little elitist (Cubasish, European) or at least comes off that way. There is no one forcing you to read or respond to these posts. The amount of traffic should make you mindful that you landed on the product that is on its way up.

:)

AXE

A little elitist?
    guitarmikeh
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 942
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 22:20:10 (permalink)
    first off....most people are stupid...most of the features of this program are easy to understand using the manual. if you dont bother to read the manual when you run into a problem, then your a complete idiot. And then, if you **** and moan out it, what are you?

this program is not that difficult.
    post edited by guitarmikeh - 2006/06/13 22:30:34

I harbor no ill will towards any man.
    Sid Viscous
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 22:22:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: guitarmikeh

first off....most poeple are stupid...most of the features of this program are easy to understand using the manual. if you dont bother to read the manual when you run into a problem, then your a complete idiot. And then, if you **** and moan out it, what are you?

this program is not that difficult.

This is exactly why I don't make posts that start with "people are stupid".
    post edited by Sid Viscous - 2006/06/13 22:32:08
    guitarmikeh
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 942
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 22:24:21 (permalink)
    ok penis, oopppps genius.

I harbor no ill will towards any man.
    Susan G
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 22:25:48 (permalink)
    Hi Brian-

And here is an obscure piece of trivia that some may find amusing:

Susan has been bashed by some ol' timers for being too responsive to new folks!

So if she is finding that one can only say "Audio is not midi" or "turn off the 'What you hear option' or "You really do need an external midi instrument before you should worry about midi outs" or "please read up about what a soft synth is" or "You can't hear anything until you tell it to play through something", etc. then I say it is OK for her to finally let out her frustration!

Of course she will continue to offer help where she can - but she may just be a little more selective. Al used to be honored here; BaMidi was a sage; Yep helped me learn; we all move on. Love Ya Susan!

What?

-Susan

Stone House Studios
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3550
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 22:40:12 (permalink)
    Sorry Susan -
    A little late night ranting here!
    However, you have been more than patient and responsive to those who have needed much; and this has not gone unnoticed by both sides of this discussion.
    I argue that if you want to vent - you have surely earned it. This is a good thing!
    I cheer the fact that you keep trying!

Brian

Core i7-6700@3.40Ghz  Windows 10x64 16 GB RAM
    Sonar Platinum/Studio One     PreSonus Studio 192
    Susan G
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 22:42:57 (permalink)
    Hi AXE-

I do not view these threads as very courteous or setting a good impression for those visiting this site.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

-Susan

Sid Viscous
    RE: OT: My gripe with Newbies 2006/06/13 22:45:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: guitarmikeh

ok penis, oopppps genius.

That's quite the sense of humor you have there. The proper thing to do is admit you blew and have a laugh.
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1