OT: New Rush CD and others

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Platano
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 443
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/06 01:32:39 (permalink)
I agree.. Best to stay an analog kid... Still works today...
Joe
PeteNova
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/06 08:43:10 (permalink)
I thought I'd share this with you. Rip Rowan article on Rush and their increasingly squashed CD's.
http://moozeek.de/mirrors/articles/over_the_limit.htm
Grudunza
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 611
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/06 09:22:13 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: agincourtdb

Yeah, I bought it too, yesterday, and I've listened maybe three times.... The thing about Vapor Trails is, while it's a terribly mastered CD, the music itself was good. This one just sounds like Presto. It's a shame, you know... Yes has recently made a great CD (Magnification), and it's sad that Rush can't get their act together too...

I thought Presto was their best album of that general era, so I might like this. Conversely, I thought that Vapor Trails wasn't that great, musically. But Test for Echo was a solid album, and that only goes back three albums, so they can still produce quality music, IMO. It's just kind of hit and miss from album to album and song to song, which has kind of been the case for me since Power Windows. I think Presto was their last great-all-the-way-through album, and Grace Under Pressure (and just about every other previous album) before that. And of course I would agree with many that Moving Pictures is stellar in every respect. Drums, bass and guitar all sound absolutely incredible on that album.

But gosh, I can't believe that this album would also have been squashed to death after all of the Vapor Trails flak they got. I thought I had read somewhere that their label is actually planning to re-release Vapor Trails because of that. Why on Earth would they allow the same thing to happen again??
post edited by Grudunza - 2007/05/06 09:30:26

www.EricHermanMusic.com
Cool Tunes, Videos and Concerts for Kids
Over 60 million views on YouTube!
tarsier
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3029
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/06 12:33:05 (permalink)
Y'all do realize that those of us who don't like the hypersquashed sound are pretty much just like those people who couldn't stand distorted guitars back in the day?

I say this because I hear more and more people saying they like that sound. Even after I point out things like the clipping distortion, and lack of dynamics they say "yeah, I hear it, I see what you're saying, but I like the sound."

They actually like the sound.

Last night I put on Californication. I tried to listen to it with new ears, and to my surprise I could understand how someone might like the sound. I don't. But it was an epiphany. All that harsh clipping actually was part of the "sound" It was unmistakably there and integrated into the recording. It came and went as the music flowed. It was a tonality all its own.

I like a good hard rock/heavy/thrash/metal sound. But I don't like it clipped and squashed to death. The new generation coming up does like it clipped and squashed. And the new upcoming music producers are using the squash technique pretty similarly to the radical guitar distortion of years past. Lots of people genuinely like it.

Those of us who rail against it will become irrelevant in the recording realm. We will be seen as the old timers who can't accept change, who are stuck in our old fashioned ways.

Instead of fighting it now, I'm trying to learn how to make "loud" recordings that I can also enjoy myself. What's the point of making a recording if no one else will listen to it. And if the other people who listen to it like a particular kind of sound, then I'd better learn how to make it well. It's a whole new technique, and ultimately I might come to the conclusion that it's not for me. I might be the old timer who can't accept change. But I'll give it a go.

Xavier
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 563
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/06 14:09:44 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: tarsier

Y'all do realize that those of us who don't like the hypersquashed sound are pretty much just like those people who couldn't stand distorted guitars back in the day?

I say this because I hear more and more people saying they like that sound. Even after I point out things like the clipping distortion, and lack of dynamics they say "yeah, I hear it, I see what you're saying, but I like the sound."

Well, certain people like to physically abuse other people in a controlling manner. I can understand why (should I admit that? ), but that doesn't make it healthy for anyone.

It took me a while until I appreciated Californication like you describe (I still haven't figured it out for Maroon 5 -- it just doesn't fit the music). I still don't think I've been able to listen to Californication all the way through with out getting ear fatigue and needing to turn it off. I start to feel like I'm somehow listening a near DC level. You know -- the pressure created with you hook a 9V up to a speaker. An instant WHACK to your ears.

I can crank up pre-eighties albums and still get that high you feel with loud music, but even at low levels this new generation of music hurts me before I can really get into it.

Overcompressing for art's sake. OK. I can get that. But I want to be able to crank it up and feel it emotionally not feel my ears burn and head ache. Am I the only one that is affected that way?

A question about these people who "like" the near-DC level. How consecutively long are they able to listen to this and how much earlier well they start to lose their hearing as compared to us "old-time rockers"?
jimack
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1814
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/06 15:57:04 (permalink)

This is an excellent point tarsier. I can only imagine what my parents must have thought while I was blasting Jimi Hendrix and Cream and, oh, so many others...

I'm sure they couldn't even imagine what anybody could appreciate in sound like that, just as I can't imagine what people enjoy about squashed, clipped mixes.

Myself, I think I'm going to make a renewed, open-minded effort to try and appreciate the new style of music production. Don't know if I'll employ it, but I'm certainly going to try and "appreciate" it. Thanks for pointing this out.

-- Jim

Sonar 7 PE, P5 v2.5, 3.4Ghz P4, 2GB RAM, MAudio 2496PCI, Event TR6, PodXT, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-C3, MAudio Axiom 61, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gretsch 5296, Fender Strat, Larrivee D03R, Martin D12-28, Martin D16-R, etc
mwd
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/06 19:34:21 (permalink)
The benchmarks have changed. From get a better sound to get a louder sound.

It's no wonder old timers don't like it and maybe the reason they hear what we are saying but they still like it is.... it's all they know.

I've seen quite a few, not masses, but several younger kids digging into the music of my era like they discovered a long lost art.

Maybe they did.

ohhey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11676
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/06 19:49:17 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: mwd

It's no wonder old timers don't like it and maybe the reason they hear what we are saying but they still like it is.... it's all they know.

I've seen quite a few, not masses, but several younger kids digging into the music of my era like they discovered a long lost art.

Maybe they did.

Yeah.. and to think record labels will have the nerve to blame plumeting CD sales on pirates and digital downloads... thats just like GM making ugly, poor quality cars and then blame Japan for all their problems. I have no pity at all for folks that just don't get it. Let the entire industry die for all I care maybe something good will rise from the ashes.
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/06 20:28:52 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ohhey
Maybe they did.

Yeah.. and to think record labels will have the nerve to blame plumeting CD sales on pirates and digital downloads... thats just like GM making ugly, poor quality cars and then blame Japan for all their problems. I have no pity at all for folks that just don't get it. Let the entire industry die for all I care maybe something good will rise from the ashes.

This made me think... Could we be experiencing what Rush was writing about for 2112? Five years in advance? Think about it.

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
mwd
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/06 21:17:21 (permalink)
My grandpa loved big band. Thinking of the audio he had to listen to technically sounded horrible. But at the time it was amazing and he shook his head at my parents.

Who liked Elvis, Everly Brothers, Roy Clark, Bobby Vinton. 33's on a big Curtis Mathes console. Starting to sound better... and they shook their head at me.

Who liked Steppenwolf, Beatles, Credence, Doobie Bros, Stones. What the hell you need all them guitar humidifiers for? My Pioneer and Marantz, 8-tracks, cassettes, reel-to-reels were sounding dang good. Now I shake my head at my son.

Who thinks good sound equates to how many bumper bolts you can loosen on your car with your stereo. Trim pieces are a bonus.

What's cool is I think we can choose to isolate in any era we choose and as long as we're happy... no harm done.

My folks never bought a Beatle album, yet they were musically happy.
Hansenhaus
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1866
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/07 01:30:46 (permalink)
I'm 37 years old and it's hard to accept we are just getting too old to appreciate today's music. I understand the comparison of what our grandparents liked verses our parents and so forth. Many times I feel like I'm saying the same things about today's music as they did about mine back then. My parents use to rag on a lot of stuff I listened to when I was younger, but not all of it. They thought bands like Iron Maiden and Ronnie James Dio were imbeciles with all the dragons, fire and mummy crap. But at the same time they would not hesitate to express they liked a tune by one of them on occasion. That music may have been cutting edge for it's time but at least it was engineered with care which, in a subconscious way, may have increased it's appeal.

When I started this thread I was primarily criticising the poor audio quality and not the actual music. Unfortunately, in the case with Rush's new CD I don't like the music either. That makes the dissapointment worse. If the CD sounded good I might be willing to listen to it much more by admiring the recording quality while to trying to discover it's musical strengths. That is how I come to love the B side to Moving Pictures as much as the A side. The album sounds awesome so even when the less appealing tracks came on I would let the album play on because I loved the sound.

Coldplay's latest, X&Y sounds like crap as well. However, I really like the writting and arranging so I listen to it regularly but not without ear fatigue which really ticks me off. I should be able to listen to the CD all the way through without having to continually lower the voume as my ears quickly ware out. I'm not getting the most out of the music I purchased so I fee like I'm getting ripped off in a way. They are robbing me of the dynamic range, punch and clarity that took over 40 years to aquire through technology and serving me a sub standard audio product that actually hurts my ears at moderate voumes. I often wonder if kids today are rapidly destroying their hearing with iPods and extremely loud albums.

The loudness war is not a good thing in any way. There is no need for it and the majority of people that think they like it have no idea what they are missing. Ear fatigue is not something I want to see accepted as the norm. I would love to hear Coldplay's X&Y remixed with a wide dynamic range, punch and clarity. I bet if you took the loud version and A/B'ed it at an equal volume to a remix with less loudness and limiting the average listener would prefer the remix better almost everytime. The bottom end would thump, the top end would sparkle while the mids jumped out at you.

I've spent the last 5 years trying to understand how the music I grew up with was engineered so well and how to emulate that. It really dissapoints me to see all that being thrown away today. I'm not going to fall victim to this senseless trend no matter how long it lasts. I encourage you guys to resist as much as you can as well. Stop limiting your mixes to death and just tell your listeners to crank up the voume if they want it louder. They are going to enjoy the music a lot more by doing so. We need to start educating the average listener and start turning this idiocy around.

Check out Paul Simon's, "You're The One". That album sounds incredible. Even though it was recorded at the Hit Facotry in NYC which is one of the world's top studios I use it as a benchmark to strive towards. Punch, clarity and dynamic range. It's all there on that album.

Anyone else have a great sounding album to recommend?

Eric

Eric Hansen
My Website 
Live Videos
Acoustic Guitar Pickups
 ---------------
Core i7 2600K
Intel DP67BG 
16GB RAM
RME HDSP9652 (ASIO)
Windows 10 x64
Sonar Platinum x64 (English)

Hansenhaus
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/07 01:39:33 (permalink)
Oh by the way, the link PeteNova posted earlier is a good one. I've seen it before and never considered purchasing Vapor Trails because of it.

Here is another good link on the subject:
http://www.mindspring.com/~mrichter/dynamics/dynamics.htm
It's been posted here before but while I'm on my soapbox I might as well list it once more.

One last thing, earlier in this thread someone mentioned that ablums were getting smashed in the mastering stage. This is not always the case. Charles Dye, who mixed "Living La Vida Loca" reluctently admitted he submitted that mix to the mastering house already limited to death and squashed. Needless to say the mastering engineer was not pleased but still managed to improve the sound. That was as big a hit as you can get and may have been one of the strongest catalyst in the early days of the loudness war.
post edited by Hansenhaus - 2007/05/07 01:42:56

Eric Hansen
My Website 
Live Videos
Acoustic Guitar Pickups
 ---------------
Core i7 2600K
Intel DP67BG 
16GB RAM
RME HDSP9652 (ASIO)
Windows 10 x64

subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/07 03:46:47 (permalink)
Hey Eric... HEAR HEAR! absolutely top post, bang on, couldn't agree more.

... The loudness war is not a good thing in any way. There is no need for it and the majority of people that think they like it have no idea what they are missing. Ear fatigue is not something I want to see accepted as the norm. ...

... I've spent the last 5 years trying to understand how the music I grew up with was engineered so well and how to emulate that. It really dissapoints me to see all that being thrown away today. I'm not going to fall victim to this senseless trend no matter how long it lasts. I encourage you guys to resist as much as you can as well. Stop limiting your mixes to death and just tell your listeners to crank up the voume if they want it louder. They are going to enjoy the music a lot more by doing so. We need to start educating the average listener and start turning this idiocy around.

Well said. Personally I want to be able to listen to my own stuff occasionally without cringing and hiding, in fact I'd like to be able to enjoy it and hear the details and so on - which means I'm pretty much out of the running for the Loudness Award.

I have been finalizing the mixing and mastering of my latest trio recording over the past few weeks, and it has been an edifying process to say the least. I'm working with another engineer on it, who brings to the table a great set of objective ears and a room that's considerably better spec'd than mine, so I do fiddly nitpicky stuff on my end and then we go and check it out there and fine tune it. We've been talking about this loudness thing a lot, and doing a lot of A/B'ing with stuff in the studio, examining waveforms and checking RMS stats and so on. This trio album is acoustic, somewhere in between jazz and ambient and new age, very dynamic and kind of sparse compared to very produced pop and rock, but the same stuff applies. We basically do not want the album to be dramatically quieter than well-mastered professional recordings in the genre, but the rule of thumb is if we hear the limiter doing anything at all, even in the loudest moments (isn't that a SuperTramp album? err...) - it's set too high.

That said, I think there is something to the debate on what the projected listening environment of a CD is... From what I can tell many young people now seem to listen to the bulk of their music on mobile phones on the subway... so it has to be pretty compressed if half of what's going on there is going to be heard at all. That's well and good, but it seems crazy to go so far down that road that anyone bothering to listen in an even marginally better environment is going to hear pulverized crap with no punch, sparkle or clarity. We've been checking out the new Killers album, which has been the focus of much debate on this very subject over at GearSlutz (so my friend tells me - I don't hang out there much) where most have been decrying its brutally limited sound - but others will point out that for many of the probable audience, and the environments they'll likely be listening in, it may be just right. I don't know, I'm not convinced.

Luckily, I don't expect that crowd to get into our sensitive acoustic trio record, so I don't have to take them into consideration.

Anyone else have a great sounding album to recommend?

... so, so many. Since I already mentioned it (kind of) Even In The Quietest Moments is a divine-sounding record, lush and lovely.

I listen to a lot of classical music and the mastering aesthetic is often much more purist in those circles, making for very dynamic and clear recordings... you have to turn the volume knob up a tad sometimes but hey, it's not THAT far away from the couch...

On a poppier level, we've been refreshing our ears with E.L.O.'s 'Out Of The Blue' which is quite an astonishing record...
post edited by subtlearts - 2007/05/07 03:55:40

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
John Page
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 672
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/07 17:36:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

Eric, your really upset with this ore after Reading your thread everyone is thinking the same way, I havent heard it yet and prob. never will now. I like 2112, itwas my favorite of all of them I guess we will never hear anything like that again from them, Thats a shame, What happened to those 3 guys anyway. When they were in the roon, didnt they now the sound sucked, or did they have any creative control over their music, it looks like the producers and the enginner royaly screwed them,..
I want my old Rush Back.

Cj

You know I'm with you but Rush has stated several times there's no going back and its 2007 so I made the adjustment but still listen to Farwell to Kings and Hemispheres with fond memories. The sad part is if anybody today made a album sounding like those did they would be fired never to get new work. It’s kind of strange we all want the old sound back but do we really? No we don’t.
I think we want modern recordings with reasonable mastered volume levels.............why is that so friggen hard to get? and why do the labels NOT get it!!!!!!!

I has also been said peoples attention span has shortened but I find the hyper compressed LOUD sounding music is the quickly fatiguing and has me reaching the “next” button on my CD player or radio within 45 seconds so maybe its not my attention span shortened but THE CONSTANT LOUD IN YOUR FACE MIX IS ENOUGH ALREADY !!!!!!!!!!

keith
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3882
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/07 18:34:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ohhey
Let the entire industry die for all I care maybe something good will rise from the ashes.

Britney Spears. Britney Spears will rise from the ashes.
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/07 18:48:08 (permalink)
the ashes of her hair? Or of her career?

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
Hansenhaus
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/07 19:50:07 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: John Page

You know I'm with you but Rush has stated several times there's no going back and its 2007 so I made the adjustment but still listen to Farwell to Kings and Hemispheres with fond memories. The sad part is if anybody today made a album sounding like those did they would be fired never to get new work. It’s kind of strange we all want the old sound back but do we really? No we don’t.
I think we want modern recordings with reasonable mastered volume levels.............why is that so friggen hard to get? and why do the labels NOT get it!!!!!!!

I has also been said peoples attention span has shortened but I find the hyper compressed LOUD sounding music is the quickly fatiguing and has me reaching the “next” button on my CD player or radio within 45 seconds so maybe its not my attention span shortened but THE CONSTANT LOUD IN YOUR FACE MIX IS ENOUGH ALREADY !!!!!!!!!!

What was Rush talking about when they said there is no going back? If they meant the kind of material they are writing then I have no problem with that. I can't expect them to stay in 1981. I will either like the new stuff or I will not and I won't rant on about it if I simply don't like the music. But can't they at least make it sound as good as possible. They have all the experience, gear and engineers to make that happen so there is no excuse for such a lousy sounding recording. For crying out loud most serious home studios can produce excellent sounding music these days. Rush must have paid a fortune spending three months writing and recording the album IN THE STUDIO and the end result is an amature sounding record. I mean that from an egineering standpoint.

post edited by Hansenhaus - 2007/05/07 19:54:07

Eric Hansen
My Website 
Live Videos
Acoustic Guitar Pickups
 ---------------
Core i7 2600K
Intel DP67BG 
16GB RAM
RME HDSP9652 (ASIO)
Windows 10 x64

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/07 20:11:09 (permalink)
After further listening of Snakes and Arrows:

The kick drum has WAY too much "BOOM"... and totally masks the electric bass.
Geddy Lee is a monster bass player... and you should be able to hear the details of his playing. Otherwise, you lose a lot of what's special about the band. I struggle to hear any detail at all on the bass (especially once the kick is playing).

One other thing...
Vocals
I've been a fan of Ged's voice over the years.
But the phrasing/inflections really don't sound 'right' to me on S&A...
The phrasing seems awkward for lack of a better explanation.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Hansenhaus
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/07 20:35:07 (permalink)
I think the drums sound like cardboard boxes with a lot of high end added to them. The kick has no power at all. The worst part of the drums are the cymbals. Oh my they sound like crap and noisy. Overall the drums have a minor presence throughout the mixes when compared to the blairing double tracked guitars. For Rush this is unacceptable. The producer should be aware of that as well. I think the guitar sounds pretty crappy too. Muted parts sound mushy with no definition or clear subdivisions. I think the vocals are buried a lot of the times and it seems like the first 4 tracks or so have the same 4th and 5th type harmonies on them. It sounds like a harmonizer was used instead of actually recording a vocal harmony. To be honest there isn't one instrument on any of the tracks I thought sounded nice. It's like it was mixed by someone who is severely deficient in the 1-8k range.

I didn't hear the details in Geddy's playing either. For that matter, I didn't hear details on anything on that album. Even when I played it low volumes.

post edited by Hansenhaus - 2007/05/07 20:38:36

Eric Hansen
My Website 
Live Videos
Acoustic Guitar Pickups
 ---------------
Core i7 2600K
Intel DP67BG 
16GB RAM
RME HDSP9652 (ASIO)
Windows 10 x64

mwd
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/07 20:40:40 (permalink)
Hansenhaus I think you must work for Rush and you are using reverse psychology on us.

You got me wanting to go buy this CD just to see how crappy it is.

Grudunza
  • Total Posts : 611
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/07 21:06:44 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Hansenhaus
Check out Paul Simon's, "You're The One". That album sounds incredible. Even though it was recorded at the Hit Facotry in NYC which is one of the world's top studios I use it as a benchmark to strive towards. Punch, clarity and dynamic range. It's all there on that album.

Yup. And I can't say for sure that I have a favorite album of all time... there's too many great ones... but if I had to choose, that would certainly be in the running. Not nearly as recognized as Graceland, which was certainly great, too, but even better than that, IMO. So deeply layered in every respect, musically, lyrically and sonically.

www.EricHermanMusic.com
Cool Tunes, Videos and Concerts for Kids
Over 60 million views on YouTube!
jben
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 181
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/07 21:22:32 (permalink)
I'm confused.
I don't claim to have golden ears . I'm not an expert engineer. I was just commenting to my son on how amazing this new Rush CD sounds and now I find this thread bashing it.
I've been a music fan since birth and a musician since I was 11. I'm now 49 years old and I like the engineering on this CD.

I few people mention albums they feel had great production, but most of them were recordings of slower, mellower or more sparse types of recordings. IMHO a wall of sound should sound like a wall of sound.
When I want to listen to amazingly clear pristine recordings,I put on Steely Dan. Nice crisp,clean,plenty of room in the mix for everyone ,type of recording.
Thick chorused guitars with rolling double bass drums and a thumping bas guitar should be so in your face that it goes through your face into your brain.
I love it!
ZenFly
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/07 22:23:05 (permalink)
I just have to chime in again here. I've been unable to get the 1st cut out of my head for 3 days now...It sounds pretty good in my car and my iPod, but when I play it on my Boston Acoustics ...uh. Lets just say Moving Pictures remains their best sounding CD.

It is better than Vapor Trails by a hair in clarity, but far and away not as good as "the old days". The funny thing is, even my 51 year old ears can hear something there. It would be amazing to hear the tracks pre mastering..., But it's like i can hear how it "should" sound in my head...all with all the crystal clarity of Moving Pictures..

CD's can sound great, in some ways better than a record, but the latest trends is directed at MP3s sounding "loud".

As for the argument that somehow this "sound" is comparable to the various ground breaking genres of yore (rock n roll,Beatles, Jimi etc). I don't buy that. Rush is in their mid 50s they don't even begin to compete with tweeners and hip hop...so what audience does the record company think is going to buy it? This is just crappy product. The tunes are some of the more accessible of Rush's career. There are some gems in there esp the
12 string instrumental, which doesn't sound too bad.

Whatever. I'm pretty stoked that some of my little sonic experiments actually sound better than multi million dollar product!
Hansenhaus
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/08 01:00:50 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jben

I'm confused.
I don't claim to have golden ears . I'm not an expert engineer. I was just commenting to my son on how amazing this new Rush CD sounds and now I find this thread bashing it.
I've been a music fan since birth and a musician since I was 11. I'm now 49 years old and I like the engineering on this CD.

I few people mention albums they feel had great production, but most of them were recordings of slower, mellower or more sparse types of recordings. IMHO a wall of sound should sound like a wall of sound.
When I want to listen to amazingly clear pristine recordings,I put on Steely Dan. Nice crisp,clean,plenty of room in the mix for everyone ,type of recording.
Thick chorused guitars with rolling double bass drums and a thumping bas guitar should be so in your face that it goes through your face into your brain.
I love it!

I'm glad you like are enjoying it. In the end that is all that matters anyway. Perhaps ignorance is bliss and I say this with total respect to you. Please do no take it as an insult in any way. You just don't realize what you are truly missing there. If you were to hear this album mastered with a repsectable dynamic range you would be amazed at how much more you could enjoy it. Just listen to Moving Pictures and notice the beautiful seperation, warmth, punch and clarity that album has. The heavy sections of Red Barchetta or The Camera Eye sound huge to me and I can enjoy them at loud volumes. There is no reason why that level of care should just be discarded in the interest of volume. It makes no sense especially with all the wonderfull technology available to us now. I love to hear a wall of sound as well but I wan't some calrity, seperation and dynamics with it!

Who knows whether the new Rush CD was squashed before or after the mastering stage. It may have very well been submitted to the mastering house like that.
post edited by Hansenhaus - 2007/05/08 01:12:00

Eric Hansen
My Website 
Live Videos
Acoustic Guitar Pickups
 ---------------
Core i7 2600K
Intel DP67BG 
16GB RAM
RME HDSP9652 (ASIO)
Windows 10 x64

Hansenhaus
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/08 01:05:58 (permalink)

Hansenhaus I think you must work for Rush and you are using reverse psychology on us.

You got me wanting to go buy this CD just to see how crappy it is.

LOL! I don't work for Rush. I'm just a old passioniate fan who was in the middle of rediscovering their music when this CD came out. I'm very dissapointed in how it sounds after the whole Vapor Trails issue.

If you are curious just purchase a track off of iTunes. The CD doesn't sound much better than those lousy 128 bit rate files anyway. :)

post edited by Hansenhaus - 2007/05/08 01:08:50

Eric Hansen
My Website 
Live Videos
Acoustic Guitar Pickups
 ---------------
Core i7 2600K
Intel DP67BG 
16GB RAM
RME HDSP9652 (ASIO)
Windows 10 x64

Hansenhaus
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/08 01:07:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ZenFly

CD's can sound great, in some ways better than a record, but the latest trends is directed at MP3s sounding "loud".

The loudness war is not about or a result of the popularlity of MP3s. You take a good clean, punchy mix and stick it in a MP3 and it still sounds damn good. Take a hyper comrpessed mix and stick it in a MP3 and it sounds like crap but the last little bit of life it had is gone with it too. The loudness war is just a very bad trend that has no logic behind it. The believe idiocy of the loudness war is much simpler than people realize. Basically no body wants to their CD to be lower in volume than the next CD in the player. For some reason many people think they have to be as loud as the "other guy's" CDs in order to have a competitive product. I say BS to that. I say put a disclaimer in your liner notes that explains why your CD is lower in volume than the average CD today and encourage them to turn up the volume knob. They will enjoy a much clearer and crisper experience with the music. That is what I vow to do from now on.

Eric Hansen
My Website 
Live Videos
Acoustic Guitar Pickups
 ---------------
Core i7 2600K
Intel DP67BG 
16GB RAM
RME HDSP9652 (ASIO)
Windows 10 x64

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/08 01:39:10 (permalink)
I say BS to that

Hi Eric,

While I completely agree with you about the overuse of peak limiting...
I wonder how many of us would actually have our record mastered any different...
IF we had the same circumstances as Rush (stakes career/substantial income/etc).

To kick the Loudness Wars out of vogue, someone's going to have to chose to purposely avoid it... and that record's going to have to go Platinum about 4+ times. If/when that happens, the peak-limiter's role may diminish... just as the massive reverb from the 80s.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Hansenhaus
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/08 02:11:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jim Roseberry

I say BS to that

Hi Eric,

While I completely agree with you about the overuse of peak limiting...
I wonder how many of us would actually have our record mastered any different...
IF we had the same circumstances as Rush (stakes career/substantial income/etc).

To kick the Loudness Wars out of vogue, someone's going to have to chose to purposely avoid it... and that record's going to have to go Platinum about 4+ times. If/when that happens, the peak-limiter's role may diminish... just as the massive reverb from the 80s.

I'm afraid you may be right. All I can do is practice what I preach. I've had 5 projects mastered. 2 of which were out of my control becuase of a record label. They were masterd pretty loud but not out of control like the current crop of releases. Anything I had control off always stayed within reasonable limits. Of course I wan't my CDs to exhibit competitive levels but only to the extent of it not hurting the sound. The better I get at mixing the more important this has become to me.

If I was a member of Rush I would have certinaly wanted to avoid the debacle of Vapor Triails. Do you think a band like Rush is at the mercy of a record label or financial need? I don't really know and I would hate to think they are. Judging by the style of music on the new CD I don't think they are shooting for a radio friendly sound. Besides they could easily start their own label and continue selling millions of records due to their dedicated fan base. In this day and age I'm not sure they haven't. They have successfull tours and plenty of merchadise to sell. Their catalogue alone probably brings in plenty of money each year. I think the crappy audio were are forced to listen to is a result of ignorance from the top down.

Eric Hansen
My Website 
Live Videos
Acoustic Guitar Pickups
 ---------------
Core i7 2600K
Intel DP67BG 
16GB RAM
RME HDSP9652 (ASIO)
Windows 10 x64

musicade
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/08 03:12:11 (permalink)
I completely agree that modern mastering and production is generally ruining the listening experience, but then most 'young' people don't seem to give a crap about the quality of sound these days as long as it is loud and has no dynamics, in fact most of them are happy to have the mp3 as their definitive listening experience - I have plenty of friends who pay for downloads and have no interest in ever buying a CD or Vinyl.

Vapor Trails was appalling bad as a listening experience, there were some great songs like One Little Victory, completely ruined and distorted. There have been other albums recently that have been as bad or worse, instantly coming to mind is ZZ Top's Mescalero, which is probably the worst sounding CD I have ever heard.

I too thought Rush would have learned form that mistake, but hey, the new album is only marginally better sounding. Unfortunately the songs themselves are not that good, but thats a personal opinion from a 25 year long fan.

One other thing...
Vocals
I've been a fan of Ged's voice over the years.
But the phrasing/inflections really don't sound 'right' to me on S&A...
The phrasing seems awkward for lack of a better explanation.

That would be because the lyrics are generally very poor (as usual).... never Rush's strong point for me.

Hansenhaus
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/08 03:30:12 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: musicade

I completely agree that modern mastering and production is generally ruining the listening experience, but then most 'young' people don't seem to give a crap about the quality of sound these days as long as it is loud and has no dynamics, in fact most of them are happy to have the mp3 as their definitive listening experience - I have plenty of friends who pay for downloads and have no interest in ever buying a CD or Vinyl.

I sort of disagree with what you saying here. The average young consumer has no idea their favorite music was engineered poorly. They don't understand what is technically involved in creating the music. Furthermore, they haven't had the years of experience we've enjoyed listening to well engineered music. On occasion a non musician friend of mine will ask why a certain CD sounds so lousy or bothers their ears. I then proceed to show them the Death of Dynamic Range web page. I remember my brother asking why Metallica's St. Anger sounded strangely bad in his car. He originally thought his car stereo was malfunctioning. I extracted a track from the the CD into Cool Edit Pro and showed him the solid green brick of a waveform and explained why it sucked. Some people do catch on but most don't have a clue. They just unknowingly accept it as the norm. Sadly, young people just getting into recording music also think it's normal and try to emulate it. This further compounds the problem. I truly believe if there was a way to explain the downfalls of this idiotic practice to the majority of music comsumers they would want it to stop as well. Heck if Bose can make millions on selling high fidelity sound systems then the music industry should be able to market high fidelity audio recordings to go along with them.

The thing with downloads is they can sound good to. You can have a good sounding iTunes track if it's engineered well from the start. I would love to see Apple start offering higher fidelity downloads but the space required for that is probabably not worth it. However, they should at least offer it with the high profile artist. I would pay $15.00 for an uncompressed downloadable album.
post edited by Hansenhaus - 2007/05/08 03:36:06

Eric Hansen
My Website 
Live Videos
Acoustic Guitar Pickups
 ---------------
Core i7 2600K
Intel DP67BG 
16GB RAM
RME HDSP9652 (ASIO)
Windows 10 x64