Project 5 version 3

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
zipdigital
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/19 14:20:01 (permalink)
I may have missed it above the the mentioned topics, but I, for one would like REX support. P5 screams for it. That new REX compatible synth they have in the new Home Studio would work quite nicely - wouldn't be hard to bundle that in a P5 v2.5....

A dedicated mixer a-la Sonar or similar in functionality would be the next logical addition. Or I would hope...

-Sol

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." Robert X. Cringely
MurderDethKill
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1904
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/19 15:44:11 (permalink)
Cyclone- the ability to Drag and drop Samples (.ogg, .cda, .mp3, .wma, .aif, etc.,) into the cells would be fantastic. also choke group control assignments in the Pad inspector would be nice as well as midi learn assignments (right click) for Vol. and pan on the individual cells. I would also like to see a pitch control included with the current Vol./pan controls on the Individual cells, and to see the DXI automation controls "ungreyed"(exposed for tweakage) in the pattern/automation Editor.

Current Tempo - BPM indicator- Right now, you can midi control tap tempo, I want to midi control and record (via controller real time messages) the actual tempo of the project in real time. Imagine taking a song and picking up (or slowing down) the tempo in a "live" situation (DJing, Jamming with other musicians, etc.). Being able to edit Tempo in the editor would also be welcome.

Track Pitch Markers and Track Navigator- Sonar has it, I want it.

Audio/Midi/Automaton Reverse in Loops/Pattern editor- that would include all or selected parts of whatever is loaded in the editor.

Upload P5 Song to Project 5.com in the File/Export Field- This would be similar to the Publish to Acid-Planet.com feature in Sony's Acid Pro. For reasons I've stated before, I still think this is a good idea.

XXL P5 Ver 3. T-shirts

I reserve the right to ammend these requests...comments anyone?

edit:as follows:

ammendment 1.
Velocity Sensitivity in the Groove Matrix -The ability the control the Volume of a Groove or a row(?) of grooves via (Recordable) Midi Velocity messages, so that when I assign the Groove matrix to My Korg Kontrol 49 Touch pads (or M-Audio's Trigger Finger) I can tap on a passage (groove header) and go from ppp to fff.

ammendment 2.
Verticle Groove Matrix Headers as well as the current Horizontal -Oh man!!! This would be soooo nice!!! Also the ability to Disable or Enable Vertical/Horizontal Headers. Sweeeeeeeet!

post edited by MurderDethKill - 2005/07/19 16:10:29

My site i guess;)
Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
LabDog
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 913
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/19 16:58:18 (permalink)
Layer Auto-Creation - for multi-timbral instruments: automatically create layers for each added, and or default enabled out.

Groove Pane Scrolling via mouse wheel - I could move through it so much faster.

Optional Project Bundling

Bounce to track - Enhanced to Bounce to GrooveClip

Hide Track - Fully hide tracks when needed.

Show/Hide Track Lanes - equivalent to "Show/Hide Settings" used for effects plugins. Sliding/Fade in/out effect is a must to add a flare to the GUI! Windows has the perfect example of this in the explorer window, to the left; Detail Buttons.

Dimension needs a patch location indicator - There are too many patches in this thing, not that I'm complaining, but it becomes difficult to remember where you where in a bank once you've closed the browser.
While we're at it, a patch position locator in the inspector, for every synth !

Auto Volume/Gain Compensation - reduction via Mouse-Click on Meters

Quick Reverse Button - Realtime (On the fly) Reverse Playback - lays in automation which be edited. Is non-destructive, stays in place, yet still removable.

Perfectly drawn Convex/Concave Curves via Automation Tool

Optional Fully Integrated Modular MidiOut - MidiOutXL if you will...

A Drum Sampler with Exact MPC behavior + Synchron embedded integration with Project 5, and even more powerful! Must work perfectly with the Mandatory Trigger Finger and Project5!!!

Destroy that 16 device rewire expectancy in all Cakewalk products!!!

Ok, I'm better now!

LabDog
post edited by LabDog - 2005/07/19 17:12:19

I am creativity's Master, I'll Be In the Lab, creating, If You Need Me
xylyx
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2505
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/19 18:23:50 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: LabDog

Destroy Rewire! P5 as a DXi!

And on a separate note: a way to display all outputs for a multi-out synth at once. Getting kind of fed up of changing an fx or adding an fx, only to realise I've done it on output 3 instead of 2! Guess this will tie in with a separate mixer view
Moog Foog
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 137
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/19 19:30:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: xylyx

ORIGINAL: Moog Foog

I dont know if its in v2 yet.....but the Ability to Preview what a .ptn Pattern Sounds like while exploring for patterns, without actually loading it into the pattern view screen. Cuz if you have to load but if you want to change it....you to go through your whole pattern list again to choose another one, which is time consuming and extra clicks. So playback on highlighting of a pattern would be nice....just like Velocity has playback of a Sample when you click on a sample before you make your descision on what you want loaded into the Cell.

I don't know if you could do this in v2.0, but you can do this in 2.01...all the midi grooves have a play arrow next to them and it will play back on whatever synth channel is currently highlighted.

Nice...well done Cakewalk.
Moog Foog
  • Total Posts : 137
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/19 19:32:10 (permalink)
Well is this play arrow in the Browser Window screen? i know you playback midi patterns once you have loaded it into the pattern screen but how about while you are browsing?
DayDrumFour
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1112
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/20 01:06:43 (permalink)
And furthermore......

- True auto-quantize-loop-replace behavior of virtually ALL drum machines.
- All drum synths have a 4x4 pad layout. We all use Trigger Fingers now.
- Full MP3 support. Work the fee into the pricetag.
- A mixer window. Well laid out, or skinnable.

LabDog
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 913
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/20 01:13:49 (permalink)
Well is this play arrow in the Browser Window screen? i know you playback midi patterns once you have loaded it into the pattern screen but how about while you are browsing?

Ofcourse Audio will be heard reguardless of what's going on outside the Pat/Loop Browser, but , You will only be able to hear the midi patterns if you have an instrument in place.

The pattern in the browser will simply act as a trigger for which ever synth is in focus in your track pane.

LabDog

I am creativity's Master, I'll Be In the Lab, creating, If You Need Me
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/21 20:02:18 (permalink)
I see that Grandpa Mojo's in the house. I thought that this might give you a chuckle, Chris, considering ...
The option to purchase a CSi Project 5 Master series tutorial CD featuring B Rock or Grandpa Mojo or as a committee effort from forum regulars. Some of these are long shots I know (particularly the last three).
woodamand
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/21 20:05:44 (permalink)
and if no one else has said it, a render to midi option for the arpeggiator, puh-leezzeee!

check out the new Brain Transfer Project CD
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/braintransfer
jlgrimes
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1639
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/08/06 01:25:53 (permalink)
Auto quantize or at least ability to quantize while looping with out stopping, Auto quantize,Auto quantize,Auto quantize,Auto quantize,

I second that. I also hope the next version of Sonar implements this.

I would also like an option to auto arm tracks.
Also an option to set when the metronome plays like in Sonar.
jlgrimes
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/08/06 11:28:47 (permalink)
A Drum Sampler with Exact MPC behavior + Synchron embedded integration with Project 5, and even more powerful! Must work perfectly with the Mandatory Trigger Finger and Project5!!!

I'd like a little more mpc like functionality in the general midi recording department. I know Project 5 was designed with a different intention in mind but Cakewalk should study the simplicity of an mpc like interface and take the some general features from them such as:

1. Less reliance on using the mouse. This equals more key commands and functions to get things done. I like how the mpc has more than one record button. One button records in overdub mode. The other button records in overwrite mode. Also another thing Cakewalk should seriously consider is the fact that on the mpc you can pretty much do all of your loop recording using the Overwrite mode where Sonars mode rely on Overdub. Overwriting mode on the mpc does not overwrite the clips you just recorded after the loop point is reached giving you overdubbing functionality in overwrite mode. This also allows you to record over bad takes without having to erase them first (which a lot of times requires a mouse click or an extra step). This makes the writing process faster.
I also think Project 5 should implement an auto quantize option. This feature would also help a lot of users who do produce music with a more electronic based style.
I also think the metronome could benefit from having more Sonar/and mpc like options. Like count -in resolution and the ability to control whether the metronome only applies to recording or playback. A metronome plug-in might even be nice for users who want to practice without pressing play or record. Also for velocity maybe an implementation of the 16 levels function would be truly innovative for the software market (that would probably be a tricky implementation though but if Cakewalk implemented the Groove Matrix I have faith in the programmers).

Please do this.

These next features might already be in Project 5. I might just not know how to do them.

Another feature: Add the option to autosnap your pattern recordings length to the next measure. It is very tedious (and annoying) having to snap the loop length in the pattern edit window after every record.

I would also add I would like some extra functionality in the pattern edit mode. Some features are probably implemented but I might not know how to do this so I'll explain.

The pattern edit mode seems to allow you to compose a whole song in this window. I see some advantages: Fast access to the piano roll's editing function. Auto quantize in step mode (or from what I can tell). The disadvantage is I can't hear all of my other patterns in this mode and when I change synths all of the patterns change to those synths as well in the pattern bin. It would be nice to have an option to link patterns in the pattern bin to a particular synth.
CloudWalker
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 799
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/08/06 12:54:02 (permalink)
-I would also love to see a vocoder

-More advanced Arpeggiator

-A really phenomenal new Synthesizer. (Like dimension was to version 2)

-More sounds for dimension!

-A drum synth with GAZILIONS of presets and options

-Ill think of more later!

-C W
vinny199
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/08/06 16:15:19 (permalink)

It's funny how priority for improvements differ so much from one user to the next.

The two simple things that really annoy me (probably because I come from so many years of DAW enviroment, and still work on logic both mac / pc) are:

- A MUTE TOOL!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How can you arrange a track if when you want to mute a sections of a track, or a little pattern you have to move it to a muted track or mute the entire track? this is silly beyond belief
Anyone who has previously worked with a software that has a mute tool will know exactly what I mean.
Anyone who never used one will probably think I'm crazy.

- A paint bucket tool
I know, I'll get slagged off for saying this again, but to me a software that colors tracks / pattern ramdomly without giving the user the option of modifying it to his liking is again a little silly. what's the logic or the good in that?
I know a lot of users will have only a few tracks. But I tend to build between 30 to 60 tracks (or more...) per song, before narroing it down at mixdown to a few less (if I'm lucky). So to me, being able to color all my vocal tracls is a similar color, all my drum tracks in another shade etc. makes it so much easier to see the overall arrangement instantly, and the workflow so much better.

- more AUX sends of course
- the ability to assign a tool to the right side of the mouse in the pattern editor
- the audio editor is not much of....an editor..still trying to figure out its use
- This new feature would just be brilliant:
A tempo calculator integrated in the browser window, so when you go through your collection of samples, those that are not marked with tempo info can be checked out instantly (see the loophorse www.loophorse.com , free sotware with that nice little feature)

now what would be ideal, is to be able to import a loop from a different tempo you have the option of saying: this loop is 100 bpm, please import it automatically converted to my song's current tempo: 120bpm for instance

that would be great.

That's all for me.

Cheers,

Vinny
http://www.vinnypiana.co.uk/

X1d expanded
PC i7, win 7 x64, 2.8 ghz; 12 gig ram
Motu ultralite (firewire)
jlgrimes
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/08/06 16:52:49 (permalink)
A tempo calculator integrated in the browser window, so when you go through your collection of samples, those that are not marked with tempo info can be checked out instantly (see the loophorse www.loophorse.com , free sotware with that nice little feature)

Very mpc like.
xylyx
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2505
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/08/06 18:51:06 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: CloudWalker

Aren't these just a little cliched now? Besides, can't Spectral Transformer do something vocodery? BTW: it'd be nice to see more presets made available for this device, as it seems a pretty untapped/forgotten plugin in P5...

What more do you want the arp to do than it currently does? It is one of the most powerful arps around, so where do you see it as lacking?

-A really phenomenal new Synthesizer. (Like dimension was to version 2)

A granular type synth wouldn't go amiss...especially if they can find a way to make something as nice and easy to use as Reason's Malstrom (with the ability to use your own waveforms), this would be great.

-More sounds for dimension!

Rene himself has stated that Dimension is not a finished product and that there would be addons etc for it in the future...

-A drum synth with GAZILIONS of presets and options

Buy Microtonic 2 instead and save yourself from waiting for P5v3
strom32
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/08/09 00:11:47 (permalink)

It would be great to hear from Cakewalk as to what they are working on with Project 5 V3.
CloudWalker
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/08/09 01:08:28 (permalink)

What more do you want the arp to do than it currently does? It is one of the most powerful arps around, so where do you see it as lacking?

More presets, and insane crap. Kinda like on the Korg Karma, or even something close.

Aren't these just a little cliched now? Besides, can't Spectral Transformer do something vocodery? BTW: it'd be nice to see more presets made available for this device, as it seems a pretty untapped/forgotten plugin in P5...

Ive tried everything on the ST, It does SOME cool vocal effects, but not much. Cakewalk deffinatly needs its own vocoder.
mumpcake
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/08/09 01:45:23 (permalink)
Drum maps would also be nice.
cmusicmaker
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2328
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/08/09 04:31:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SuperGreenX

ORIGINAL: saturdaysaint

- Some equivalent to Live's Beat Repeat delay.

Are there any free plugins that would do this? That thing looks awesome.

SuperGreenX...I think this plug in may be what you are looking for. I have not tried it yet but it looks similar, possibly even better. Try it and see it's free as well.

Live cut

Live cut screenshot

Description and download

My Project 5 version.3 requests...

1. P5 as a DXi

2. Real time, time stretching to rival Live 5.
CloudWalker
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/08/09 11:28:56 (permalink)
Better audio recording features would be nice.
James D
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 182
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/08/09 18:47:15 (permalink)
All I want to do is this one simple little thing Cakewalk.. I really don't want much at all !

You see Cake,... can I call your Cake? I figure after using Music Creator back in 2001, then going to Sonar 2, then to 2.2XL, then on to Sonar 3 and now having vested in P5, I can call you Cake by now.

You see Cake, O'le buddy of mine. I went out and purchased this BCF2000 controller for use with Sonar 2.2Xl, and got it working, then I got 3.0 and and updated that to 3.1.1 and then update my BCF to work with Sonar 3.1.1 just perfectly. Cake, I mean the faders are moving and all of the buttons are mapped just right and I have my VST and DXI plug-in inserts just right, I insert my audio and midi tracks form pressing buttons, I switch screens and arm recordings and oh so, soo much without ever touching the mouse; I am a happy camper. Then I discover that Project5 is working perfectly and I decide to purchase it and low and behold,... I can't use the good O'le BCF2000 controller and its motorized faders, transport buttons and more with it.

So Cake,.. If I can trouble you to allow me to use my BCF2000 controller with Project5 and Control everything from it, I promise not to ask you for anything else for at least 2 years. OH, and I promise to purchase the the next version of Project5 and get Sonar 5 when it is available. Well, that's as long as you make it compatible with my BCF2000. Can't afford the Mackie right now, but the BCF works just as well.

Thanks Cake Ole buddy of mine

Peace ,

Enjoy the sweet sound of music forever!
Sonar5
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/08/09 19:04:32 (permalink)
All I want to do is this one simple little thing Cakewalk
I admire your single-minded obsession, James (or sticktoitiveness). <g> I've been catching these little control surface bomblets that you've been dropping throughout the forum, and it's high time that I tell you how much I agree. Control surface support seems like a natural extension for P5. My cobbled-together home-brewed solution strings together controller templates and Device Chains with a lot of sweat.

I've had to fashion some "poor-man's" support by using pitchbend messages on different MIDI channels with the General Remote mode in the 01X. Disaster waiting to happen. Switch to Sonar, and Mackie Control makes for smooth bi-directional feedback immediately. It took a little while and some noise-making in the Sonar forum to get control surface support for the BCF, and that might be what it takes here, too.

Put in for a feature request here, and don't give up the fight.
I promise not to ask you for anything else for at least 2 years.
Well, now: let's not get crazy here ...
RAR
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 286
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/08/09 20:54:09 (permalink)
REX

I know a room full of musical tunes.
Some rhyme, some ching, most of them are clockwork.
Let's go into the other room and make them work.
-Barret
mumpcake
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/08/09 21:07:01 (permalink)
SHS3XL comes with a rex player, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that one in P5v3
James D
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/08/10 14:45:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b rock

I admire your single-minded obsession, James (or sticktoitiveness). <g> I've been catching these little control surface bomblets that you've been dropping throughout the forum, and it's high time that I tell you how much I agree. Control surface support seems like a natural extension for P5.

Thanks B rock for the words of ecouragement in my quest to have controller support in P5. On the Cakewalk homepage, Project5 is listed under the category of Professional Recording Products. Only Sonar, Guitar Tracks Pro, VST Adapter and Project5 made the Professional page. So now, I am wondering why won't Cakewalk treat Project5 like a professional product and allow it to be fully used by a control surface.

Thanks again for the link and I have others nudge Cakewalk on this same issue in P5.

Peace

Sonar5
mike85021
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1532
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/08/10 15:30:54 (permalink)
Ability to capture arpegiator patterns and save them.

Mikey T
Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    vinny199
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/08/10 15:38:08 (permalink)
    now, I am wondering why won't Cakewalk treat Project5 like a professional product and allow it to be fully used by a control surface.

Thanks again for the link and I have others nudge Cakewalk on this same issue in P5.

Thats a good point. well done to cakewalk for thi great software at this so cheap price, but now it is a more mainstream software, they should consider a "pro version" with a mixer, more sends, A MUTE TOOL (sorry to be a pain), surface control etc.

I wouldn't mind paying extra at all for all this.

The thing is, their initial idea of a "creative pad" / live enviroment software is great, but the more you look at it, the more it is obvious many of us start using it as a serious studio tool where we would like to be able to manage an entire project in a professional manner without having to struggle with simple practical things or having to switch between software. So P5 could happilly live next to Sonar with a much higher list of specs without necesserally clutering the enviroment with too many windows etc.

Thts' what i think...

Cheers,

Vinny
    http://www.vinnypiana.co.uk/

X1d expanded
    PC i7, win 7 x64, 2.8 ghz; 12 gig ram
    Motu ultralite (firewire)
    James D
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/08/10 18:04:41 (permalink)
    Vinny,

For you it's the mute tool

For me it's the controller

No apologies neccessary for the mute tool man, I feel your pain .... click on the submission form and send Cake a notice man.. LOL, I just did and I feel better !!

Peace,

Sonar5
    timp410
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/08/10 19:42:48 (permalink)
    I would like to see better integration with Sonar. I usually start most of my tracks in P5 since V2.0 and transfer the track to Sonar for vocals and what ever live instrument I may add. The problem is there is no real easy way to do this and maintain the individual tracks. I would love to be able to open Sonar and import a project from P5 and Bam! There it is.
    Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1