Project 5 version 3

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
philly
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 205
2005/07/18 05:24:12 (permalink)

Project 5 version 3

I've been using P5 since v 1.0. The improvements that came with Version 1.5 were cool and necessary, the improvements that came with version 2 were amazing (Dimension is just too good!). So what next?

For me the workflow is great as it is, so what I really like to see is new content, namely 2 new FX :Amp Simulator (like NI's AC Combo VOX clone), a vocoder (not exactly sure how this would work though) - and some new sample content for the DS 864.

What would to like to see in v3?

130 Replies Related Threads

tclark
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1525
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 09:48:58 (permalink)
    Just a bit more flexibility in changing the sounds in some of the other synths (which i why i rarely use them any more). Also, if you could record the timings of editing effects parameters while the track is going. e.g., you had the track playing and you made the track distorted and then gradually pulled it bak to normal, then it would do it automatically next time - like recording the volume automation, but for effects levels.

Maybe some more accurate and easy-to-use clip editing. So like time stretcher, you can change a loop or sound so that it is longer, slower, shorter... whatever.

just some ideas...

T

btw... will p5v3 be like $600? coz V1 was $200 V2 is $430. what bout V3?

Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 10:22:21 (permalink)
    I was working on a new drum track this weekend and I came up with this idea. Wouldn't it be nice if you could open up multiple instances of the Loop and Pattern view? The shortcuts are nice but I wish I had three windows this weekend. One would be open to my 1/8 note grooves folder. One would be open to my fills folder. And one would be open to my single note hits folder.

That way I could click, grab & drop without a lot of scrolling or changing directories.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    ZuN
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 622
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 11:00:23 (permalink)
    A mixer with flexible routing (post/pre sends)
    jvanva
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 11:23:54 (permalink)
    Some things I would like to see:

- Ability to record patterns and drag them to the groove matrix on the fly

- As a rewire host, break the 16 midi channel rewire limit for driving client apps.

- Have the Punch-In recording observe the Snap To Grid settings.

- True splitting of midi patterns when using the split clip function in the arrangement pane.

- An arpegiator for every lane of a channel - or at least more than 1

- Increase the number of sends to 8 (or at least 6)

- Include some brass samples for Dimension

- A Project 5 pen in the box and Project 5 polo shirts available for purchase.

- The option to purchase a CSi Project 5 Master series tutorial CD featuring B Rock or Grandpa Mojo or as a committee effort from forum regulars.

Some of these are long shots I know (particularly the last three).

jvanva

My reputation precedes me - otherwise I'd be late for all my appointments.
    saturdaysaint
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 447
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 12:31:39 (permalink)
    - A seperate tool for slicing and editing clips without having to use the main transport control. Try splitting a clip while audio is playing to see what I'm talking about.
    - DJ-style crossfading in the Groove Matrix.
    - Recording directly into the Groove Matrix.
    - Ability to set the beginning of a clip with a marker (like you adjust the end of a clip).
    - mp3 importing (for quick and fun remixes).
    - More, more, more drum and percussion samples. How does such a beat-friendly application have more string samples than drum samples? ;)
    - Some equivalent to Live's Beat Repeat delay.
    - A high quality vinyl effect (I'm actually happy with Ozone's free plug-in, but I think these are so cool that they should be "in the box")
    - More "X/Y" controls in the effects, for funky effects manipulation.
    - Audio editing isn't high on my wishlist, but Sonar style fades and crossfades would be nice.
    - The more ambitious problem to tackle would be the ability to juggle long, uninteruppted live sets. The ability to move complete Grooves in and out of the Groove Matrix (complete with instruments, MIDI patterns, tempo and audio data) and a Groove Browser would be fantastic and really broaden the appeal of P5 in my opinion.
    post edited by saturdaysaint - 2005/07/18 12:46:04
    SuperGreenX
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 973
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 13:03:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: saturdaysaint

- Some equivalent to Live's Beat Repeat delay.

Are there any free plugins that would do this? That thing looks awesome.

JoMal
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 172
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 13:30:45 (permalink)
    Most of my wishlist has been covered by jvanva and saturdaysaint. In addition, I'd like see a per cell Quantization "over-ride" in the Groove Matrix. In other words, if the global quant value is set to Measures/Bars, having the ability to set an individual cell(s) quant value seperately, to say, 16th notes.

John
    palancar
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 13:51:55 (permalink)
    More patterns. LOTS more patterns. All the other stuff would be nice, but P5's killer use for me is to get me started on musical ideas and allow me to prototype riffs and lines.

If I'm going to full out composition, I'm going to do it in Sonar, not P5, so for me what separate P5 is the pattern-based stuff. More patterns.
    tclark
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1525
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 14:05:04 (permalink)

- Ability to set the beginning of a clip with a marker (like you adjust the end of a clip).

For me at least, i can do that in p5 (even with imported .wav files) and even if u cant, u can always just slice the beginning off

- A high quality vinyl effect (I'm actually happy with Ozone's free plug-in, but I think these are so cool that they should be "in the box")

cool, where can i get this vinyl plugin from Ozone??????!!!!!!!!???????

T

saturdaysaint
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 14:29:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tclark

For me at least, i can do that in p5 (even with imported .wav files) and even if u cant, u can always just slice the beginning off

cool, where can i get this vinyl plugin from Ozone??????!!!!!!!!???????

T

I misspoke - the company is acually iZotope.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/

It's basically a simple EQ with some dust and wear noises (I usually keep those parameters low) and subtle pitch-warping thrown in, but it's a fun effect. I hunted it down after being inspired by "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"'s soundtrack. If only I could scratch with it...

Yeah, the workarounds for the clip start feature request are pretty painless, but I do it enough (when recording MIDI, usually), that I think I'd like to do it with one quick drag instead of dragging all of the notes to the beginning of a clip, then readjusting the end marker. I think it might make live groove clip recording easier.
    post edited by saturdaysaint - 2005/07/18 14:33:51
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 14:40:11 (permalink)
    Um! Version 3?! I have a lot of stuff I would like to see added (that I have listed in other threads) but I want them in v2.5 not 3! I'm cheap and want them for free!

ORIGINAL: palancar

More patterns. LOTS more patterns. All the other stuff would be nice, but P5's killer use for me is to get me started on musical ideas and allow me to prototype riffs and lines.

If I'm going to full out composition, I'm going to do it in Sonar, not P5, so for me what separate P5 is the pattern-based stuff. More patterns.

Hmm. This is something that I personally wouldn't be interested in, as I would rather make my own patterns...beyond a quick skim on first install, I haven't touched the patterns since and would say that it is unlikely that I would ever use any in a track.
    saturdaysaint
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 15:23:14 (permalink)
    One more - I'd like a hotkey for switching between "Trigger = Stop" or "Trigger = Retrigger" in the groove matrix or, better yet, have one side of each groove component be a stop button and the other side be a play/retrigger button.
    SuperGreenX
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 15:42:13 (permalink)
    I want more busses and mixing options and more 'remix' friendly audio looping and editing capabilities. Just imitate ACID and I'll be happy. P5 is all about "today's music" and remixing stuff is pretty trendy right now, so I think it would be pretty apt for what P5 wants to be. The "cool" sequencer, ya know :)?

xylyx
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 16:19:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SuperGreenX

Just imitate ACID and I'll be happy.

Which version of Acid? I hope it's not v5 cos that thing crashes on start up every time for me
    SuperGreenX
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 17:44:10 (permalink)
    Acid 5 has worked pretty well for me since 5.0. There are updates 5.0a and 5.0b that made it pretty solid.

xylyx
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 17:51:12 (permalink)
    Yeah, I gave the 5.0b demo a whirl a month ago when someone had posted about it being super stable now...still keeled over when scanning my vst directory. I could have spent time tracking down the causes and removing the offending plugins, but I really wasn't interested enough in Acid to do it. I renamed the the vst directory, took a look at the new stuff on offer, wasn't impressed and removed it...*shrug*...need to stop spending so much time looking at other software and just get on with making stuff with P5
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 18:22:11 (permalink)
    cranial implant interface so i could make music while i sleep.
    naughtyhill
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 18:22:47 (permalink)
    When recording the matrix i often use "immediately" instead of measure, 1/2, 1/4, etc. BUT when the grooves are set to "follow song" they will get recorded as being retriggered instead of continuing along the beat like it would, like pushing the mute button on/off. When playing live the "immediatë" setting is fun but recording it, just isnt possible.

Hope this "problem" ( well at least imo ) can be solved.

oh and Nick,

Where's my pen ?
    Pen...please...did u send it already?
    Bob
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 18:25:46 (permalink)
    Give me modular routing of synths and effects. Like in Buzz, Psycle or EnergyXT. Buses and mixers are relics of the hardware stone-age.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 19:03:53 (permalink)
    Give me modular routing of synths and effects ... Buses and mixers are relics of the hardware stone-age.
    So is modular routing, (and myself, as well), Risto. <g> They used 1/4" patch cords. Just joking there, but I like the way that you think. Push that envelope.

It reminded me of my own little rant, but this has more to do with the hardware end. Why give me a few dozen measly buttons, with some sliders, encoders, and wheels that I still have to physically manipulate while I'm trying to play a controller? I want some triggerable envelope generators, LFOs, and random modules that transmit their shapes as a MIDI message. I can string a bunch of them together in the controller template, trigger that with a keyboard action, and make my soft-synths jump through hoops while focusing my attention on playing technique. [c/o 2005 B Rock BS]

That's it. I'm selling everything and going into the controller design field. But maybe I should just relax a little first, and go over that MFX SDK one more time ...
    Heliotrope68
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/18 21:43:53 (permalink)
    Velocity and Cyclone ar great but...

Velocity - should come with a far braoder variety of custom kits and allow auto load and slice mapping of rexfiles into kits for use in P5.
    Infact if it was a hybrid drummachine/rex file player it would compliment Cyslone damn well.

Npulse could be GREATLY IMPROVED.
    If you're gonna do a drum synth at least give it the same sort of flexibility as something like Microtonic .
    It's good at the moment for syncopated sub kicks and extra layers but doesn't have enough bite as a standalone device.

PsynII great synth with lots of LFo's etc let down by a not very comprehensive mod matrix.
    There are alot of mod options I would use for LFO's etc that just are not available at the moment .
    So a more comprehensive mod matrix for PSYN please.

PS:It currently makes a better percussion synth than Npulse does BTW.

Effects the effects section is rudementary at best. There are some real gems in there but the effects section needs to be broadened greatly with more diversity for users who don't have much bar P5 too work with.
    Comps with side chain/ducking
    EQ 2/3/4 band + a 3 band with frequency KILL switches
    A few more delays ( slightly exotic ) like a granular delay and something that emulates an echoplex for dub delays etc
    Phasers / Flangers / Ampsims / More exotic filter types in the Filter plug in.
    Chorus a Unity gain device etc etc..
    Oh yes and a minimum of 8 auxillary sends per project please.

Rewire - Two channel audio input is atrocious. I much prefer P5's midi implementation to Live's but....... you could learn ALOT from Abletons Rewire implementation. 16 + stereo channels with there own input track for audio rendering etc would be fantastic.

Perhaps something else to compliment Dimension and Psyn in the Synth department..
    An FM synth with a serious twist would be great.
    Something along the lines of AFM where samples could be used as carriers or modulators within an FM algorythm.
    Think of it like a virtual SY99/77 - would complimet Dimension and Psyn really well.

Ever thought of Bundlng an 8voice only version of Z3ta with P5 also ?
    Would be more than enough for extra leads / basses / wierd effects and atmosphere's.

Better internal audio editing facilities.
    If not please include a hot link key command.
    For example I click on Edit in the .wav view and my specified audio editor opens up inside P5 for professional audio editing duties.

Just a few ideas from a relative newbie.
    Hope they where valid or worthwhile suggestions.

Does anybody really need a signature ?
    mumpcake
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/19 01:00:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Heliotrope68

PsynII great synth with lots of LFo's etc let down by a not very comprehensive mod matrix.
    There are alot of mod options I would use for LFO's etc that just are not available at the moment .
    So a more comprehensive mod matrix for PSYN please.

PS:It currently makes a better percussion synth than Npulse does BTW.

Exactly which mod options are you looking for?

Effects the effects section is rudementary at best. There are some real gems in there but the effects section needs to be broadened greatly with more diversity for users who don't have much bar P5 too work with.
    Comps with side chain/ducking
    EQ 2/3/4 band + a 3 band with frequency KILL switches
    A few more delays ( slightly exotic ) like a granular delay and something that emulates an echoplex for dub delays etc
    Phasers / Flangers / Ampsims / More exotic filter types in the Filter plug in.
    Chorus a Unity gain device etc etc..
    Oh yes and a minimum of 8 auxillary sends per project please.

I'd recommend you check out the Kjaerhus Audio Classic series. They're free too.
    ustudio
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/19 01:40:08 (permalink)
    Auto quantize or at least ability to quantize while looping with out stopping, Auto quantize,Auto quantize,Auto quantize,Auto quantize,
    DayDrumFour
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/19 03:17:28 (permalink)
    P5v3 Wishlist

- Ability to limit the sequencer's overal PPQ resolution to save CPU power. True quantization.
    - Recognize my Logitech flightstick. I could do some fun real-time stuff there.
    - Arm track via midi or shortcut key. This should have been in V1.
    - Updated Cyclone featuring drag n drop, audition, and midi control stuff.
    - Audio editing capabilities equal to Acid 3.0
    - Include midi source as part of a trackpatch file. For midi patchbays/multiple sources.
    Moog Foog
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/19 04:03:37 (permalink)
    I dont know if its in v2 yet.....but the Ability to Preview what a .ptn Pattern Sounds like while exploring for patterns, without actually loading it into the pattern view screen. Cuz if you have to load but if you want to change it....you to go through your whole pattern list again to choose another one, which is time consuming and extra clicks. So playback on highlighting of a pattern would be nice....just like Velocity has playback of a Sample when you click on a sample before you make your descision on what you want loaded into the Cell.
    jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/19 04:56:03 (permalink)
    ...*shrug*...need to stop spending so much time looking at other software and just get on with making stuff with P5

Yeah, I've used Acid for years now; nothing could pull me away from it, not even Reason...until P5! Acid 5.0 may be my last...

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    Andy C
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1272
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/19 05:32:09 (permalink)
    I want the ability to split the groove pane into 2 or more sub windows. What you trigger in one wouldn't effect the other groove window. Then you could do the following...

In one window set up a set of columns, drums on one row, bass and rythem instrument on the others. Each column is a backing rythem, the column is set for midi control (say from trigger finger (TF) , top row). So by triggering one of the columns you can get a different backing rythem. All well and good you say, I can do this now !

In an other window though, each cell is as a lead melody, each cell is triggered from TF. Say 3*3 cells in TF, startign bottom right. Now you can trigger a rythem column from the top row and select from one of the melodies to play on top. I don't believe P5 can do this at the moment.

Just for fun set up a third window with sound effects in it. Again midi trigger, but when triggered the current rythem column and melody cell keep on going. Again I don't think you can do this at present.

OH and better output stage and or flexible audio /midi routing as Bob/B-rock says.

Andy
    JoMal
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 172
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/19 11:23:58 (permalink)
    - Independent track/layer/automation lane resizing instead of the existing global resize.

- A different zooming scheme that doesn't include those scroll bar widgets. (when zoomed out far enough, you have no choice but to grab the little zoom button on the scroll bar when you only want to scroll and that gets a bit messy, i.e., scrolling and zooming simultaneously)

John
    xylyx
    RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/07/19 13:25:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Moog Foog

I dont know if its in v2 yet.....but the Ability to Preview what a .ptn Pattern Sounds like while exploring for patterns, without actually loading it into the pattern view screen. Cuz if you have to load but if you want to change it....you to go through your whole pattern list again to choose another one, which is time consuming and extra clicks. So playback on highlighting of a pattern would be nice....just like Velocity has playback of a Sample when you click on a sample before you make your descision on what you want loaded into the Cell.

I don't know if you could do this in v2.0, but you can do this in 2.01...all the midi grooves have a play arrow next to them and it will play back on whatever synth channel is currently highlighted.
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1