Project 5 version 3

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
wz061s
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 385
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/09/11 22:11:05 (permalink)
-Fix the bounce to track / freeze issues (can distort audio if the track volue is too high, even if meters say you are good)

-Provide ability to drag everything that was recorded in the arrange pane into a matrix pattern (dragging currently leaves automation behind).

-Provide full loop recording capability of arrange pane in editor (including automation), so that loops can go right into the groove matrix without the need to use arrange pane as an entry point for recording new parts with automation in the same step.

-Implement Quantize option at time of recording

-Implement arming/disarming of tracks when transport is running

-If the above is implemented, Ableton Live will finally be trumped. Loop workflow becomes Recording in Editor >> Drag to Matrix >> Record arrangement in real time from playing matrix, with all automation intact every step of the way.

EnzymeX (wz061s)

I Support Dongle and Pace free Software

http://www.enzymex.com
agincourtdb
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4753
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/09/11 23:38:24 (permalink)
Some features could probably be implemented in the 2.5 (if there is going to be one)

-------------

2.5 User-defined note value and grid settings in the editor (beyond the normal pre-twentieth century western 2,4,8,16,32). So I could tell it to define the bar as two sets of eigth-note septuplets, or one quarter-note quintuplet, and so on and so on.

2.5 MMC (is that what it is?) support. So we can use our control surfaces. This is a big one for me.

3.0 I agree about a quality distortion plugin.

2.5 A horizontal Main Bus meter, placed below (and the same length as) the transport controls, (or where the main volume slider is now, superimposed or something) so it can actually be used as a meter.

3.0 I used to want more aux busses, but i've come to the realization that I never use more than 3 anyway. I wouldn't complain if they were available, though, of course.

3.0 Velocity II please. More cells. More multivelocity kits. Now, I have Battery 2 and DKFHS now so this probably won't help me much anymore, but when I was relying on it for drums exclusively it was frustrating on both those counts. It's a great looking ride that handles like a dream, but it's underpowered.

3.0 NPulse II please. More sound options, more modulation/mangling possibilities.

3.0 DS864 is a prince amongst kings. Give it some gravitas or replace it with a cut-down of a third-party sampler.

2.5 Auto-Quantize is fine and probably very useful... so long as it's optional and not the default.

3.0 Node-and-line automation, like in Sonar. 'painting' light blue on slightly darker blue background is awkward, and not just a little.

2.5 Markers.

2.5 Autosave to an autosave file as Sonar does when you have autosave on. It does not alter the main file.

3.0 a Mastering plug suite would be nice for those working entirely in P5. A stereo graphic eq, something like spectralive, a multiband compresser, and a good limiter, maybe one with some warmth. This is my main bus signal chain and lemme tell you, boy....

----------

Anyway, that's my four or five cents.

wz061s
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 385
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/09/11 23:44:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: agincourtdb

Some features could probably be implemented in the 2.5 (if there is going to be one)

3.0 Node-and-line automation, like in Sonar. 'painting' light blue on slightly darker blue background is awkward, and not just a little.

YES! I forgot that one...

EnzymeX (wz061s)

I Support Dongle and Pace free Software

http://www.enzymex.com
ecamburn
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1510
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/09/12 01:30:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: oroboros

Yeah, something to rival Scream 4 would be nice, although even the vst world in general seems to be lacking this.
B-Rock just turned me on to the iZotope Trash, which is as close as I've found - check out the samples. I'll see if it matches the sheer versatility of Scream when I get it. Anything close would be a godsend.

Just be careful oroboros. trash puts out a great sound but it is a huge cpu hog. Because of that I rarely use it. I actually use an old version of supercamelphat more often.

eric
post edited by ecamburn - 2005/09/12 01:36:53
oroboros
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 901
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/09/12 02:45:12 (permalink)
Another thread that wouldn't die.

Yeah, ecamburn, I'm finding that out. But I'm also getting to the point where a great many of my tracks are tacking up a ton of CPU power - z3ta, Sytrus, Slayer, Dimension, plus automation, analog tube "warmer" emulators, reverbs, eq's, phasers, distortion plugins, whew! Thankfully P5 now has freeze, or I wouldn't be able to construct songs the way I do. Usually about half of my tracks are now frozen (and must be). With one of my current songs only 3 tracks are taking up around 90% of CPU (AMD64 3000+). I also have a track in another song that won't play real-time in P5 at all - the only way I can hear it is to bounce it - it has so many effects on it. Thank you, Cake, for freeze. I'll check out that supercamelphat on kvr. I could definitely use a Trash "lite".

I agree about a quality distortion plugin.
Oh, yeah. Trash is good, but it still doesn't do things like Scream does, and it is CPU hungry. But anyways, I'll stop spamming this thread about Scream.

Scream, scream, scream, scream.

Velocity II please. More cells. More multivelocity kits.
Here, here. At least twice as many cells. And more controllable ... controls. I dare anyone to use those cell volume sliders with accuracy.

Autosave to an autosave file as Sonar does when you have autosave on. It does not alter the main file.
Bien sur.

NPulse II please. More sound options, more modulation/mangling possibilities.
Ahem, save the development time for the DS864 or Velocity II, I say.

Node-and-line automation
Cake has to do this or P5 simply won't look competative. I would be really surprised if they aren't already working on this.

a Mastering plug suite would be nice for those working entirely in P5.
This would be nice, but I don't think they're going to do this; I believe they'd rather you buy Sonar with P5, if you're serious about mastering, or mixing.

A horizontal Main Bus meter, placed below (and the same length as) the transport controls, (or where the main volume slider is now, superimposed or something) so it can actually be used as a meter.
Yeah, what were they thinking here, except perhaps see above.

Oh, and last but not least:

Reason is more stable than FLStudio which is more stable than Project5.
FOR ME. For sure. Your milage may, of course, vary. This new v2 version of P5, however, I must say, is MUCH more stable than v1. I don't have to save every time I hit play the way I did with v1. Thank you again, Cake. Only a couple of crashes with the new version.

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
DayDrumFour
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1112
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/09/12 04:17:28 (permalink)
One of my favorite topics has returned.

Seems like there are two kinds of requests,

"Can you do something like......."

and "You should be able to.......better than this"

I've already ranted in here but it's good to know others have similar requests.

Drum machine quantization, more audio stuff and perhaps CycloneII ?

C'mon Cakedudes. We know you can do it.
agincourtdb
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4753
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/08 18:10:36 (permalink)
as I'm exploring Dimension Pro, I'm realizing how much I really miss B and shift-B to go through presets.

Paradroid
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/08 18:44:18 (permalink)
Give me modular routing of synths and effects ... Buses and mixers are relics of the hardware stone-age.

So is modular routing, (and myself, as well), Risto. <g> They used 1/4" patch cords. Just joking there, but I like the way that you think. Push that envelope.

EnergyXT & Audiomulch show how it's done… not sure how this would fit into the P5 paradigm but it's sure is nice being about to boss your audio paths around, telling them where to go… without those antiquated little-short-tailed snakes B is rabbiting on about (have they managed to find sanctuary in the swamp?)

As a P5'er who was lured in by Dimension, I find the whole mixing issue pretty woeful. I don't know how you guys do it…
Paradroid
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/08 18:46:23 (permalink)
Markers.

Markers, yes! I've been wondering why I'm so lost… there's no signage around here!
whitefalcon
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1161
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/08 22:44:53 (permalink)
P5 v3

• Custom color selections for all areas of the program. Several color schemes shipping with the product.
  • Dimension Paro included with the package
    three appregiators that will sync to each other. This would enable you to use one for drums, one for base and one for keyboards or lead.
  • Improved automation control
  • Improved Midi support
  • Better controls over the existing audio out channels.
  • Improved midi out for external synth built in not requiring the add on
  • A hefty distortion filter included
  • A simple macro utility enabling recording of some repeated functions that are used over and over again
  • Built in computer keyboard interface allowing the computer keyboard to be used for simple sequencing

The future is what we make it....

You can hear my music at:

www.garageband.com/whitefalcon
LabDog
  • Total Posts : 913
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/08 23:46:36 (permalink)
These already exist in P5ver.II

A hefty distortion filter included
- Alias Factorâ„¢ bit decimator and resonant filter

Built in computer keyboard interface allowing the computer keyboard to be used for simple sequencing
- Qwerty Controller

-Implement arming/disarming of tracks when transport is running
- it's just ....well, there already

post edited by LabDog - 2005/12/08 23:48:10

I am creativity's Master, I'll Be In the Lab, creating, If You Need Me
woodamand
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/09 01:11:14 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Mod Bod

I was working on a new drum track this weekend and I came up with this idea. Wouldn't it be nice if you could open up multiple instances of the Loop and Pattern view? The shortcuts are nice but I wish I had three windows this weekend. One would be open to my 1/8 note grooves folder. One would be open to my fills folder. And one would be open to my single note hits folder.

That way I could click, grab & drop without a lot of scrolling or changing directories.

feature request! did this myself awhile back, I mean I can do this in Sonar after all....

check out the new Brain Transfer Project CD
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/braintransfer
whitefalcon
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/09 02:04:35 (permalink)
These already exist in P5ver.II

quote:

A hefty distortion filter included - Alias Factorâ„¢ bit decimator and resonant filter

quote:

Built in computer keyboard interface allowing the computer keyboard to be used for simple sequencing - Qwerty Controller

quote:

-Implement arming/disarming of tracks when transport is running - it's just ....well, there already

The included distortion filter is not hefty, its ok but I am talking about including something that has a multitude of presets like LFX-1310 or Trasher 2 produced by the same place that makes Vanguard. To say its already there is true but to say it could be greatly improved for the next version is what I am talking about

Again on the keyboard interface it could be implimented alot better. I know you can get there by doing some tweaks but wouldnt be alot cooler to click on a keyboard icon and have your keyboard work as a music keyboard toggle on/off. And while were at it make function keys assignable to patterns...

Click F3 and your favorite assigned pattern is inserted where you clicked. So that means 12 assignable patterns.

I didnt mention arming/disarming tracks so no comment on that one.

While I am at it here is one more as you say is there already. I say lets improve it, it needs a rework. That is the vsti interface. Instruments should be groupable. And as color coded. Synths could be blue, drums brown, whatever colors wanted.

Also I would like to see a split screen, imagine if you could split the screen like Excell does so you could look in two areas far appart from each other at the same time.
Also for those having large monitors, a version of the interface that uses larger type would be a great inprovement. Those of us over forty realize how key this is.

The last two P5 demos I went to had audiences of men mostly over 40.

Also mp3 export should not be an upgrade it should be included with the program as a basic feature.

Make it so we can assign key commands to menu functions.

b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/09 06:14:12 (permalink)
The last two P5 demos I went to had audiences of men mostly over 40.
It's true, Bob. Little Known Factoid: P5 was named after the increased overnight frequency of enlarged prostate gland sufferers. To reflect this MIDI-life crisis, V3 is rumored to be bundled with Minoxidil coupons, a sample pack of Just for Men for Beards, and a silver '69 Corvette.

Seriously, Bob, tell me about your 3 sync'ed argeggiators request. I've been tinkering [I said tinkering, not tinkling] with that, so maybe I've got something for you.

rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/09 06:47:59 (permalink)
well 4 pages i haven't read any yet so if this has already been mentioned...<g> :-) p5 needs an event-processing language. something well thought out. something modern. needed, a new frontier...da future....hehe.. bolding going forward where many have gone and dropped by the wayside.
LabDog
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/09 13:01:07 (permalink)
To say its already there is true but to say it could be greatly improved for the next version is what I am talking about

Gotcha, not that I was jumping on you guys in my pervious reply, I just wanted to make sure it was known that these exist and are very useful as is. True they can always improve them, I totally agree with you on that!

Believe me, I am a core advocate for not half@$$ing a thing, I say, if you're going to do a thing, do it BIG and make it something to be reckoned with. (A good indication of this is in my FR seen below)

But on the same token, it should be noted that they are quite capable in their current iterations.

Layer Auto-Creation - for multi-timbral instruments: automatically create layers for each added, and or default enabled out.

Groove Pane Scrolling via mouse wheel - I could move through it so much faster.

Optional Project Bundling

Bounce to track - Enhanced to Bounce to GrooveClip

Hide Track - Fully hide tracks when needed.

Show/Hide Track Lanes - equivalent to "Show/Hide Settings" used for effects plugins. Sliding/Fade in/out effect is a must to add a flare to the GUI! Windows has the perfect example of this in the explorer window, to the left; Detail Buttons.

Dimension needs a patch location indicator - There are too many patches in this thing, not that I'm complaining, but it becomes difficult to remember where you where in a bank once you've closed the browser.
While we're at it, a patch position locator in the inspector, for every synth !

Auto Volume/Gain Compensation - reduction via Mouse-Click on Meters

Quick Reverse Button - Realtime (On the fly) Reverse Playback - lays in automation which be edited. Is non-destructive, stays in place, yet still removable.

Perfectly drawn Convex/Concave Curves via Automation Tool

Optional Fully Integrated Modular MidiOut - MidiOutXL if you will...

A Drum Sampler with Exact MPC behavior + Synchron embedded integration with Project 5, and even more powerful! Must work perfectly with the Mandatory Trigger Finger and Project5!!!

Destroy that 16 device rewire expectancy in all Cakewalk products!!!
post edited by LabDog - 2005/12/09 13:03:57

blakflag
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/09 18:31:17 (permalink)
Wow, Im back and got some real gear. Now I am noticing some things that are killing my P5 buzz... I got a Korg Kontrol49 and a Firebox interface.

1) MIDI learn is annoying to use. Should be one click on the control and twiddle the knob and its mapped. And it should be easy to keep global settings without messing about with device chains. Maybe Im just missing something but it seems awfully roundabout.

2) Unless I spend 10 years customizing templates etc, its not going to be easy to get my Korg's lcd labels to match the parameters. Propellerheads have the right idea with their ReMote technology. I'd love this in P5. Or else implement the Korg proprietary protocol. Or give us an easy plugin SDK so we can implement it ourselves.

3) As I tried to explain the audio recording procedure to my friend I started to realize how limited it really is. I guess we're really expected to get Sonar if we want to do much with audio, but it would really be nice to have it all in P5, since I like the workflow paradigm better than Sonar's. And at least let us easily integrate with an external editor app!!

So thats my current wishlist... integration with my hardware, and better audio capabilities. Oh and more than 2 outputs. 5.1 surround mixing would rock.

Maybe there should be a basic / pro split so we can choose to upgrade to Pro instead of rewiring to an external app for the stuff P5 falls down on.
blakflag
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/09 18:45:55 (permalink)
PS I am not trying to diss on project 5, it is still awesome system. I've used cakewalk products as a hobbyist for many years. But sometimes the grass looks greener on the other side :) Hopefully they'll continue to expand Project 5 and not let it wither and die even if its not as popular as Live. (I tried the demo and was pretty mystified by Live's interface honestly)
whitefalcon
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/09 22:06:50 (permalink)
Seriously, Bob, tell me about your 3 sync'ed argeggiators request. I've been tinkering [I said tinkering, not tinkling] with that, so maybe I've got something for you.

I have been using the aprregiator on three tracks one for base, one for drums and one for lead and not quite getting it all to sync. If you have some techniques on how to do that that would be great to hear..
Cool its great to hear from you.

whitefalcon
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/10 01:55:21 (permalink)
Ok some excellent ideas in this thread. Now Cakewalk can zip it up and put it in our Christmas update list for P5 v3 and if half of this stuff gets in there we will be good to go...

MurderDethKill
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1904
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/10 02:06:40 (permalink)
Did anyone mention V-Vocal or the inability to load the Lexicon 'Verb?
Oh you did?
Well I'm doing it again....
We wants it, yes we do, precious!
And MP3 import..in P5 and Cyclone, RXP, Velocity, Dimension (Pro) and DS-864.

and give us back the damned ring...
post edited by MurderDethKill - 2005/12/10 02:13:32

My site i guess;)
Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
LabDog
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/10 02:14:34 (permalink)
Why stop there, import every useful audio file out there.

SuperGreenX
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 973
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/10 05:55:09 (permalink)
Or just use your audio editor (free Goldwave???) to switch it to wav? I dunno why this type of thing is such a big feature request.

dstrenz
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1067
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/10 10:22:32 (permalink)
I'm a new poster here. I see lots of good ideas in this thread.. There are two things that would cause me to use P5 more than Sonar. Maybe I'm missing something but here they are:

1. The ability to use separate tracks for SampleTank and other multi channel synths. I know how to use track layers to do this but they're a pain to set up, muting the top layer mutes all the layers, and they're confusing when doing mulitple takes which automatically create layers. Multiple outputs would be nice too for seperate effects.

2. A quick and easy destructive split. My workflow when creating something new is to jam for a while then clip out the bars I want to keep. So, jam for 100 bars and to get the 4 good ones, I'd like to simply be able to type Alt-S or something to destructively split the track. Plain "S"plit makes the clip impossible to edit because it's still 100 measures long. This is fairly simple to do in Sonar. The only way I see how to do this in P5 is, if saving more than one bar, is to split it then merge the two back together again.
LabDog
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/10 17:36:31 (permalink)
1. The ability to use separate tracks for SampleTank and other multi channel synths. I know how to use track layers to do this but they're a pain to set up, muting the top layer mutes all the layers, and they're confusing when doing mulitple takes which automatically create layers. Multiple outputs would be nice too for seperate effects.

One of Cakewalk's product specialist suggested not using the first (or main) track when dealing with track layers. Instead he suggested using only the layers to place any data in.

I know it is a bit confusing working with it the way they designed it, but if you keep in mind that the main track is indeed that, a main [control track] and not a layer, it will make things a lot clearer while working this manner.

Also, when you think about it, the main track does give you access to multiple outputs for instruments capable of it. Each one of these outs allows you its own effects bin to assign whatever effects you desire there.

For me this works just fine. It would be nice to see the overall scheme improved upon somehow, but we'll just have to wait and see what the developers will cook up.

LabDog
post edited by LabDog - 2005/12/10 17:39:11

xylyx
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2505
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/10 18:07:45 (permalink)
Hmm...interesting idea about not using the first track layer, although I tend to use the Groove Matrix anyway, so the mute thing is less of an issue. The multiout handling in P5 is annoying and I don't know why they chose this way to do it...they should have made any multiout instrument track more like a folder track which would then display sub-tracks underneath for each output...that way you could mute, change volume/pan, see the level meters, add effects for each output without having to arse around with changing the little output box whenever you want to do something on another output.
MurderDethKill
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1904
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/10 21:07:16 (permalink)
Labdog, Do you think you could wiki this info? (click me!)
I'd do it but I don't know how yet (and I'm afraid I'd screw it up).
One of Cakewalk's product specialist suggested not using the first (or main) track when dealing with track layers. Instead he suggested using only the layers to place any data in.

I know it is a bit confusing working with it the way they designed it, but if you keep in mind that the main track is indeed that, a main [control track] and not a layer, it will make things a lot clearer while working this manner.

Also, when you think about it, the main track does give you access to multiple outputs for instruments capable of it. Each one of these outs allows you its own effects bin to assign whatever effects you desire there.

I never could get track layers in P5 until just now.
The skies have cleared and the clouds have parted.
Many thanks for this useful bit of info.

My site i guess;)
Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
LabDog
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/10 22:14:35 (permalink)
The multiout handling in P5 is annoying and I don't know why they chose this way to do it...they should have made any multiout instrument track more like a folder track which would then display sub-tracks underneath for each output...that way you could mute, change volume/pan, see the level meters, add effects for each output without having to arse around with changing the little output box whenever you want to do something on another output.

I actually think the method they decided to use is pretty brilliant, although I have to say it's a tad half-stepped. It would have made much more since to cause Project 5's main track to automatically switch to the output that corralates to the layer selected.

Or better still, P5 should automatically assign outs to the perspective layer as it is created. This would work perfectly with my idea for Show/Hide track layers, keeping everything nice and neat.

Labdog, Do you think you could wiki this info? (click me!)
I'd do it but I don't know how yet (and I'm afraid I'd screw it up ).

I'll have to look into that, I'll have to set up an account so that I can get into it.

-LD

dstrenz
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1067
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/10 22:56:19 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: LabDog

Thanks, that's a good idea and does make it quite a bit clearer. I'd still like to be able to use the instruments on seperate tracks though. For example, imagine a song that uses only SampleTank. It would only have one main track for the whole song.

For me this works just fine. It would be nice to see the overall scheme improved upon somehow, but we'll just have to wait and see what the developers will cook up.

THANKS very much for that! I didn't realize that each output could have its own effects! I just played with it and found it in the help file. It really is easy and not an issue at all anymore.

For anyone like me who never realized multiple effects/channel was possible and is too lazy to look at the help file:
1. Add SampleTank to a track.
2. Create 2 layers and set their midi output channels: Click on each layer and use the box on the left side of the screen that says "Send to: Chan nn"
3. In SampleTank, set the instruments outs for each midi channel you want to apply effects to.
4. Add an effect to the first output (Add FX).
5. Select output 2 using the little box on the main track under the name of the track. You'll see that the effect you added for output 1 in the device chain disappear (correctly because you're now working with output 2). Add effects to apply to output 2.

Or, search for "Outputs, multiple" in the help file.
LabDog
RE: Project 5 version 3 2005/12/10 23:49:06 (permalink)
I'd still like to be able to use the instruments on separate tracks though. For example, imagine a song that uses only SampleTank. It would only have one main track for the whole song.

True you would only have one track, but you'd have a single track x 16. An output (within that track) for each available one the instrument possess. This still allows you to treat each channel as an individual, controlling (separately) 16 volume levels, 16 mute/solos, 16 pans and widths, 16 arppegiator destinations, 16 effects bins....well you should get the picture here.

I don't dislike the way P5 handles muti-out instruments at all. I do, however, feel that it could benefit greatly from a high level of refinement. Such as making P5 fully aware of how to assign I/O's to layers on its own.

I'd like to see the program do this each time I create a layer, or even auto-create the layer(s) for me, according to the channels I enable.

LabDog

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1