Helpful ReplyReaper is an awsome DAW "PERIOD" License $60

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 6 of 10
Author
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 17:15:31 (permalink)
jbraner
DeeringAmps
I always freeze all VSTi (generally EZD or Superior, Trillian, piano du jour) prior to bouncing a final mix or master.
Of course this is in SONAR, I guess in REAPER I would be "rendering" a final mix or master.

T

I do exactly the same. So, in SONAR, the freezing part is just like bouncing - and we want to be sure we get a good "freeze" for each track, and then a bood "bounce" at the end.

I would guess that we'll just do the same in Reaper - so we'll just need to check that all our freezes and bounces sound good ;-)
If they don't, we'll have to dork around with the "options" until it does come out good.
At least we've got some info here about what the options mean ;-)

I've already seen a few "CONAR" people on the Reaper forums - so I think we'll be in good comapny

I would suggest that before doing everything you are used to doing in Sonar to first NOT do all the extra steps that you are used to doing when trying REAPER out.

If you have all your normal softsynths, try NOT freezing anything to audio tracks, and try NOT using the slower method of doing the final render to stereo wave or MP3.

Then only if your instrument sounds are being truncated, or have artifacts, would I suggest to start walking it down, first by still NOT freezing any tracks to audio, but just trying a realtime render to your stereo master wave or MP3.

Then, and only then would I say that if you still are experiencing audio issues with your softsynths, would I try freezing the individual tracks, and then rendering to the final stereo master wave or MP3.

Lastly, as far as any plugins go as Frank was asking, pretty much all your plugins EXCEPT the ones that are tethered to Sonar should work in REAPER. Also, they should work even if Sonar were to be uninstalled, BUT you would have to do a selective uninstall and I would advise against it anyway, because you will still want Sonar to be on your machine so you can play or work on any projects that were done in Sonar.

The last time I rebuilt my DAW, after installing Windows 7 64-bit, I installed REAPER, then went through several of my Sonar install disks (I have a giant pile of them too), and did selective installs on each, only installing the plugins I wanted to keep, like the Timeworks EQ, CompressorX, Sonitus, Etc., then on my newest and last copy of Sonar that I bought, I did a full install, so I'd have a working version of the most recent version of Sonar I have, and any of the plugins I picked up with Sonar along the way.

Since I went with 64-bit Windows 7, none of the DirectX plugins work or even show up in 64-bit REAPER, but since I did a "Portable Install" of REAPER 32-bit on my same machine, I can still access those plugins when running REAPER as a 32-bit application. Truth be told, I thought I would need access to all my older plugins, especially ones like the Timeworks plugs which are very high quality, but I've replaced them with newer 64-bit plugs and almost never fire up the 32-bit version *except* for compatibility when loading old projects that used those plugins.

HTH

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

jbraner
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1830
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 17:39:12 (permalink)
Hi G'bo,

If you have all your normal softsynths, try NOT freezing anything to audio tracks, and try NOT using the slower method of doing the final render to stereo wave or MP3.

All good advice - except, I'll be freezing all my synths and drum parts anyway.
To me it's insurance against reloading an old project in a couple of years, and the synth has changed, or doesn't work anymore etc.
Plus - with things like arpeggiators (set to random) or various other things that trigger a little differently each time - when you freeze the part, you know exactly what you're getting.
Also - I always freeze all my guitar parts, which "commits" them to an amp or speaker settings.
Sure, I could unfeeze later (if SONAR still works) but re-amping always sounds different anyway, an dit's probably better to just play the parts again ;-)

I don't mind keeping eq and compressors and saturators "live" - because, chances are if I open this up later - I might have a "better" version, or different compressor to try etc etc etc

That's just me though, and I realise that everyone's different.

John Braner
https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
- Cakewalk by BandLab x64
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
- Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
- MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
er - that's it I think...
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 18:01:39 (permalink)
azslow3
I DO use REAPER's HTML interface to run it from across the room using my smartphone.

When I have started to implement that for Sonar, there was no interest for such feature (at least no feedback it exists). Also I have found that no matter what I try to do in the browser, it has slower reaction than dedicated applications (TouchOSC, TouchDAW). So I have stopped (but Sonar web transport control still exists).

Here's what the built-in web interface for REAPER looks like.  I can run REAPER from my smartphone, while sitting at my drums, or when across the room recording vocals, and the response time when running it is very very good!  :-)

Glennbo

JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 18:02:13 (permalink)
Glen,

Try maybe reinstalling the DX/DXI plugs and do a dx rescan in Reaper. I'm running 64 bit Reaper on 64 bit win 7 and all dxi synths (like TTS-1) are there and work well.
Some of the newer vst functions can't be accessed directly (Midi bus merge). Here's where you can use a wrapper like Buzz's dxi-shell that makes the more advanced features available if needed.

John
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 18:15:36 (permalink)
JohnKenn
Glen,

Try maybe reinstalling the DX/DXI plugs and do a dx rescan in Reaper. I'm running 64 bit Reaper on 64 bit win 7 and all dxi synths (like TTS-1) are there and work well.
Some of the newer vst functions can't be accessed directly (Midi bus merge). Here's where you can use a wrapper like Buzz's dxi-shell that makes the more advanced features available if needed.

John

All my DX/DXi plugins show up in 32 bit REAPER, but none of them do in 64-bit, but I think it's because all my DX/DXi plugs are so old that they are only 32-bit versions. My last copy of Sonar was Sonar 5, but the last DX/DXi plugins I installed when I rebuilt my DAW were the Timeworks plugins from Sonar 2 XL.   I've since replaced all the ones I thought I'd use with things like Waves DBX160 (which I like a LOT more) for CompressorX, Eventides Equivocate for Timeworks EQ, Lexicon MPX Native Reverb in place of Lexicon Pantheon reverb, and so on.

At this point the only 32-bit plugs from the old days that I still use are Native Instruments B4 Organ, and FM7, and they are 32-bit VSTi plugins.   :-)

Glennbo

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 18:16:22 (permalink)
Here's what the built-in web interface for REAPER looks like...

In my test the problem was the browser and I guess Reaper can not change that:
1) when clicking on any web page, I guess the browser waits a bit for "advanced" action (gestures). That introduce some annoying delay I do not like.
2) when I have tried to use it while playing some instrument, half of the time instead of just pressing the button, my phone was recognizing gestures.
I can not say I never hit something wrong (including "home" button) with (3 pages concatenated):

but not so often as  just with 3 transport buttons:
http://www.azslow.com/files/azweb/transport.html

I probably need a bigger phone

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 18:28:29 (permalink)
azslow3
Here's what the built-in web interface for REAPER looks like...

In my test the problem was the browser and I guess Reaper can not change that:
1) when clicking on any web page, I guess the browser waits a bit for "advanced" action (gestures). That introduce some annoying delay I do not like.
2) when I have tried to use it while playing some instrument, half of the time instead of just pressing the button, my phone was recognizing gestures.
I can not say I never hit something wrong (including "home" button) with (3 pages concatenated):

but not so often as  just with 3 transport buttons:
http://www.azslow.com/files/azweb/transport.html

I probably need a bigger phone

The last of my three screen captures is the one I actually use, and it's mostly for the transport buttons, plus the "Abort Recording" which I like because it not only stops recording, but also does an undo of what has been recorded, and rewinds to the last point so you are ready to take another stab at recording a good take.

While I think the response is very very good with the interface I showed above, it is not as fast as using the computer keyboard or mouse, but the delay is insignificant for punching into record, winding to markers, stopping, and other transport functions.

Really the only lag that is annoying to me is when grabbing a fader, and raising or lowering the volume for a track or master, but I almost never do that when using my phone as a remote controller. I'm sure that the reason there is more noticeable lag with faders is due to the much higher amount of data being transmitted over WiFi to your router and then received by REAPER.

Glennbo

azslow3
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 19:55:45 (permalink)
The last of my three screen captures is the one I actually use, and it's mostly for the transport buttons, plus the "Abort Recording" which I like because it not only stops recording, but also does an undo of what has been recorded, and rewinds to the last point so you are ready to take another stab at recording a good take.

That was a bit tricky in Sonar (as many other things). "Undo" was taking time (recording length dependent) and asking to record again too fast was producing side effects. But we have managed to take that under control

Really the only lag that is annoying to me is when grabbing a fader, and raising or lowering the volume for a track or master, but I almost never do that when using my phone as a remote controller. I'm sure that the reason there is more noticeable lag with faders is due to the much higher amount of data being transmitted over WiFi to your router and then received by REAPER.

There can be several technical reasons for that, but for sure not the connection speed. In fact MIDI controllers simply "skip" intermediate fader position, MIDI is old and slow with 31.5 kBit/s. I have not heard that MCU is "lagging hard" when operating volumes. WiFi works with MBit rates. In worse conditions, the delay can be 50ms, but even that is hard to notice when moving faders. Usual latency is 1-5ms. It will be fun to test what ReaMote shows on WiFi (I know they do not recommend that, on the other hand that is a nice test for the implementation quality).

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
jbraner
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 20:49:57 (permalink)
At this point the only 32-bit plugs from the old days that I still use are Native Instruments B4 Organ, and FM7, and they are 32-bit VSTi plugins.   :-)

Get yourself
VB3 https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=24
(pretty cheap - great Hammond and leslie)

and dexed https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/
(free DX7 - very good)

Then you'll be completely 64 bit!

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 21:40:45 (permalink)
jbraner

Get yourself
VB3 https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=24
(pretty cheap - great Hammond and leslie)

and dexed https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/
(free DX7 - very good)

Then you'll be completely 64 bit!

Thanks for the links John.

Now that I've recently purchased the full version of Kontakt, I'll probably be using some of the Hammonds it comes with for general rock organ sound, but the Leslie that comes with the B4 I've used on guitar, and that I may still do, because it's a real good model of what a guitar through a real Leslie sounds like.

As for the old FM7, I used to own a real DX7 and since I had written my own assembly code librarian to offload data from all my hardware synths, still had tons of SysEx dumps (I hear that Studio One doesn't do SysEx)

http://answers.presonus.c...-send-sysex-dumps-song

that I can send to FM7 and it sounds just like my old hardware DX7.  I don't really use that one much any longer though, but it is cool being able to load all my old SysEx data dumps. Glad I didn't throw all of them away when I got rid of all my hardware midi keyboards.

Glennbo

jbraner
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 21:51:37 (permalink)
2 things

- for just the leslie, also check out the Melda one (vintage rotary). If you wait for the 50% sales, that's a really good one for guitar.

- dexed works with sysex too.
Also (I need to look up the link) but there is a guy who compiled literally thousands of DX7 patches and organised them in to banks. If you want to play with hDX7 stuff, dexed is really good - and FREE (and 64 bit)

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 21:59:16 (permalink)
BobV,
I think its time to change the title of this thread.
Reaper is an awesome DAW; PERIOD!
It has nothing to do with the fact that it only costs $60.
This thing is well worth the $255 charged for the commercial license; at $60 its a steal.
Just my nickel98, YMMV; but I doubt it!
I won't cut and run anytime soon, but I'm confident that Reaper will do everything I'll ever need it to.
Thanks to all for the "heads-up"!
T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
azslow3
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 22:22:19 (permalink)
DeeringAmps
This thing is well worth the $255 charged for the commercial license; at $60 its a steal.

It does not COSTS $60, it is on "permanent sale", for not commercial (or small scale commercial) use for $60. It has some plug-ins, but in general it is just a DAW itself.

People as amused by $150 pack with the DAW, with plug-ins, with Synth and 2 extra program. So effectively Sampitude is also cost like $60 at the moment!

But marketing people know: write "save $1200" on top of it and everyone will say "that is a steal price for a huge professional thing", while write "$60 all the time" and everyone say "that is a cheap toy for kids".

Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 22:49:00 (permalink)
jbraner
2 things

- for just the leslie, also check out the Melda one (vintage rotary). If you wait for the 50% sales, that's a really good one for guitar.

- dexed works with sysex too.
Also (I need to look up the link) but there is a guy who compiled literally thousands of DX7 patches and organised them in to banks. If you want to play with hDX7 stuff, dexed is really good - and FREE (and 64 bit)

The guitar sound on the left of this song is what I've mainly used the B4 Leslie for. Three Dog Night used real Leslie on guitar quite a bit back in the day.

https://youtu.be/IKbz6gCmlWw?t=44

I'l check both those plug out when I have some time.

Glennbo

Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 23:15:24 (permalink)
DeeringAmps
BobV,
I think its time to change the title of this thread.
Reaper is an awesome DAW; PERIOD!
Just my nickel98, YMMV; but I doubt it!
I won't cut and run anytime soon, but I'm confident that Reaper will do everything I'll ever need it to.
Thanks to all for the "heads-up"!
T

I went back and found my invoice from the very first time I bought REAPER, and then when I bought it the second time to get the next two versions.  My last purchase gets me to version 5.99 The current version is 5.62, so I will get even more updates that include stuff like them adding ARA, and in the recent past musical notation.

I originally bought REAPER 2 (which got me all of v2.xx through v3.99) back in March of 2008 for $50, then upgraded to REAPER 4 when it came out in August of 2011 for another $50, so at this moment I have a total of ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS that I have spent on REAPER for the last 9.66 years. By the time they release REAPER 6.0, it will have cost me about TEN BUCKS a year in total.

It's a shame that some folks see the low $60 price plus small 11 MB download and *ASSUME* that it is a toy that's geared for beginners, but then again that's probably OK coz I really don't want a bunch of easily fooled people being part of the driving force that helps steer REAPER on it's journey.  IOW, if you can't see REAPER's depth because of it's price or download size, then you might be a shallow person.  <G>

Glennbo

Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 23:26:28 (permalink)
azslow3
DeeringAmps

It does not COSTS $60, it is on "permanent sale", for not commercial (or small scale commercial) use for $60. It has some plug-ins, but in general it is just a DAW itself.

People as amused by $150 pack with the DAW, with plug-ins, with Synth and 2 extra program. So effectively Sampitude is also cost like $60 at the moment!

But marketing people know: write "save $1200" on top of it and everyone will say "that is a steal price for a huge professional thing", while write "$60 all the time" and everyone say "that is a cheap toy for kids".

I never want to see a bunch of add on stuff included with REAPER.  If I need some plugins, I'll buy some plugins that I choose and that suit my specific needs.

I remember hating it when Cakewalk started adding loops, and instruments, and other stuff that I considered to be mostly fluff, and then one day I called them on it on the old NNTP newsgroups (before this web forum existed).

The response I got back from a Cake official, was a BYTE COUNT of how much space all the junk I got with Sonar would consume. You get OVER 2 GIGABYTES with SONAR!  That was the beginning of the end for me, as I equated it to my cable TV company touting that I get "OVER 300 CHANNELS"!  Yeah, there's ten good channels and another 290 that are total crap!!!

Glennbo

DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 23:54:30 (permalink)
I've run the demos for Cubase, Digital Performer, MixCraft, and Samplitude. I own Studio One.
I found them all "wanting" in some way.
There are two DAWS on my StudioCat; Splat and Reaper.
I'm happily back to making music.
😎

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 23:58:50 (permalink)
DeeringAmps
I've run the demos for Cubase, Digital Performer, MixCraft, and Samplitude. I own Studio One.
I found them all "wanting" in some way.
There are two DAWS on my StudioCat; Splat and Reaper.
I'm happily back to making music.
😎

Veddy cool!  Look what a sixty dollar toy can do!   Oh, but they prolly had to pay $225 for the toy software.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0uwl1Fxu5A

Glennbo

azslow3
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/07 00:02:06 (permalink)
pbognar
azslow3
* Matrix view. In Sonar it was more buggy then useful, I guess some VST/Reaper plug-in can do at least the same. Which?

Matrix view => PlayTime

Played a bit with PlayTime. After quite some initial confusion with turned on loop and rx2 (I have dragged the first loops I could see in CW Audio folder and tool default "Slice" option when importing), I mean 2 unfortunate things which are not good for PlayTime, I have found it is working.

Pro:
* it is working clip trigger,
* from the documentation with controller support (I mean feedback, was not possible in Sonar)
* not expensive
Cons:
* it is linking clips into the corresponding places of tracks/timeline and letting Reaper "play" it. So it is using as much as possible from Reaper. Clever, but hackish.
* since its delegate the whole work with material to Reaper, no possibility to auto pitch matching.

azslow3
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/07 00:24:26 (permalink)
DeeringAmps
... Splat and Reaper ...

Unfortunately both do not have some very attracting options from another "toy", Waveform.
But with these 3, I do not see what is not yet covered for my amateur needs.

When ARA is implemented and AZ Controller is ported, there will be time to start forgetting Sonar.
Leaving Reaper and Waveform.
But who knows, many be Reaper get pitch matching and chord progression with patterns (absence of arbitrary freeze points is already compensated by routing flexibility), to survive as the only DAW I need and want...

Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/07 01:00:33 (permalink)
azslow3
DeeringAmps
... Splat and Reaper ...

Unfortunately both do not have some very attracting options from another "toy", Waveform.
But with these 3, I do not see what is not yet covered for my amateur needs.

When ARA is implemented and AZ Controller is ported, there will be time to start forgetting Sonar.
Leaving Reaper and Waveform.
But who knows, many be Reaper get pitch matching and chord progression with patterns (absence of arbitrary freeze points is already compensated by routing flexibility), to survive as the only DAW I need and want...

First and foremost, I want stability in my DAW software.  The folks at RE:Live,

http://reliverecordings.co.uk/

who record mission critical multi-track live concert performances where you don't get a second chance, are using 48 channels of Audient ASP880s, into two RME Firefaces, along with REAPER running on a Macbook.

Beyond stability, plugin compatibility would likely be my next top item, and everything else a DAW might offer beyond those two things becomes less and less important to me.  I'm glad that REAPER will be getting ARA, but not because I will use it or need it.  It's more that some folks who depend on stuff that ARA can do might also get to use a DAW in the same class as I've been using for almost ten years now. REAPER already does what I need.

Glennbo

JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/07 02:07:28 (permalink)
Amen to this.

Several months ago, would have been pure hell fire blasphemy to suggest, but here we are evaluating stability and plug compatibility on the way out. Don't think anyone around here does not want the well being and forward progress of all, whether you stick with Sonar for the predictable function over several years, or need to jump ship now..

Just me to target, but 10 years plus Reaper and Sonar experience for what it's worth to anyone. Reaper was always more rock solid and embraced more vst plugs without going belly up. There was one mono bass plug many years ago that Sonar registered that Reaper did not. Otherwise, Reaper dragged thru the dirt better. Far more stable as a DAW and the ability to deal with rogue vst's.

My need is stability and vst incorporation. ARA is cool but way down on the list for my needs. Reaper just gets the job done. Ironically, the simplicity and straightforward nature of the operation can be a turn off. Like where's the other 5 steps needed to get a task done. Hope all will keep an open mind in the trial experience.

John
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/07 02:14:20 (permalink)
If the Reaper guys would just do something about the color I would never even startup Studio One again!!

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/07 02:23:41 (permalink)
BobF
If the Reaper guys would just do something about the color I would never even startup Studio One again!!

Have you tried the black on black theme?  It's real easy on the eyes, but a bit more difficult to navigate.   <g>

Glennbo

Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/07 02:32:48 (permalink)
JohnKenn
Amen to this.

Several months ago, would have been pure hell fire blasphemy to suggest, but here we are evaluating stability and plug compatibility on the way out. Don't think anyone around here does not want the well being and forward progress of all, whether you stick with Sonar for the predictable function over several years, or need to jump ship now..

Just me to target, but 10 years plus Reaper and Sonar experience for what it's worth to anyone. Reaper was always more rock solid and embraced more vst plugs without going belly up. There was one mono bass plug many years ago that Sonar registered that Reaper did not. Otherwise, Reaper dragged thru the dirt better. Far more stable as a DAW and the ability to deal with rogue vst's.

My need is stability and vst incorporation. ARA is cool but way down on the list for my needs. Reaper just gets the job done. Ironically, the simplicity and straightforward nature of the operation can be a turn off. Like where's the other 5 steps needed to get a task done. Hope all will keep an open mind in the trial experience.

John

In addition to what you just said, I will add that the invisibility of REAPER, meaning that I don't even notice it while using it, is a giant plus for me. If I can get through a project, and never have to think about my DAW software, then I am more focused on the music I am recording. If OTOH I am constantly chasing ghosts with my DAW software, that leaves less time for me to work on my music.

I can't count how many times I've read posts on the main Sonar forum with advice to delete aud.ini, increase buffer size, uninstall and reinstall Sonar, try different drivers, and even to totally reformat and reinstall Windows, effectively halting all music production and spending days on making the DAW software stable.

Glennbo

jjj.fcc
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/07 11:27:26 (permalink)
azslow3

Actually, I bought a sale Samplitude version on Steam yesterday for less than 20 bucks... 4.6 GB file to install!!!
A little different approach (like any DAW), so I spent more time than with Reaper to do the first "Hello World" song, but seems to be an option, specially at this ridiculous price!

Now: a little question:

Is there anything like CAL in Reaper? (or other DAW)

'Cos I use some of these little programs inside Sonar... undupe, for instance.
azslow3
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/07 12:45:43 (permalink)
jjj.fcc
Now: a little question:
Is there anything like CAL in Reaper? (or other DAW)
'Cos I use some of these little programs inside Sonar... undupe, for instance.

https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/reascript/reascript.php
https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/js/js.php

But for anything you want to do, it can happened it is already there... f.e. to remove duplicated MIDI notes, there is build-in function.

subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/07 13:06:54 (permalink)
Ok. I've never actually used Reaper for anything, but I've kept an eye on it over the years because it speaks to me on a number of levels - the punk DAW, as it were. I've been fascinated to watch them build it the way they have, with no marketing at all except word of mouth, a fair pricing scheme, lean and rapid development, efficient code, no bloatware, responsive to the user community... So I've installed the demo a few times over the years and kicked the tires a bit but never bought a license because I always ended up returning to the cozy familiarity of Sonar.

But now I'm interested for real, for obvious reasons. And it looks like there's a lot to like. I like the look of Studio One too, but I think Reaper might win me over this time.

And hey, Alexey, if you're going to port your control surface plugin over, that will make it that much more interesting for me! Seems like the right new home for it for sure.

Onwards and upwards!

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
jjj.fcc
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/07 13:18:36 (permalink)
azslow3

https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/reascript/reascript.php
https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/js/js.php
But for anything you want to do, it can happened it is already there... f.e. to remove duplicated MIDI notes, there is build-in function.

Thanks!
azslow3
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/07 14:08:56 (permalink)
subtlearts
And hey, Alexey, if you're going to port your control surface plugin over, that will make it that much more interesting for me! Seems like the right new home for it for sure.

That is the plan

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 6 of 10
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1