Helpful ReplyReaper is an awsome DAW "PERIOD" License $60

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 7 of 10
Author
Mosvalve
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1194
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/07 14:12:54 (permalink)
DeeringAmps
BobV,
I think its time to change the title of this thread.
Reaper is an awesome DAW; PERIOD!
It has nothing to do with the fact that it only costs $60.
This thing is well worth the $255 charged for the commercial license; at $60 its a steal.
Just my nickel98, YMMV; but I doubt it!
I won't cut and run anytime soon, but I'm confident that Reaper will do everything I'll ever need it to.
Thanks to all for the "heads-up"!
T

I agree, It is and awesome DAW period.

BobV 

ASUS Prime Z370-P - Intel Core i7+ 8700K 3.7GHZ 16GB Memory, Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU,  Windows 10 Pro 64bit,  , Sonar Platinum 64bit, Motu 828MK3 Hybrid, Warm Audio TB12 Pre, Warm Audio WA273 Pre, AEA RPQ 500 Pre, Warm Audio WA76 Compressor, Presonus D8 Pre, Tonelux EQ5P 500 Eq, Kush Electra 500 Eq, Lindell PEX 500 Eq, Yamaha 80M monitors with HS10W Sub,  and a bunch of other good stuff. I have a Roland Juno-106 that's looking for a new home. PM me.
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/07 14:25:58 (permalink)
Didn't read thru the entire thread (but in case it hasn't been mentioned)...
ARA is coming to Reaper.
Those making extensive use of Melodyne can put Reaper back on their short-list.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/07 15:44:15 (permalink)
azslow3
subtlearts
And hey, Alexey, if you're going to port your control surface plugin over, that will make it that much more interesting for me! Seems like the right new home for it for sure.

That is the plan

That, for me, is very good news. I have been the happy beneficiary of your work with the plugin up to now, have it running on three surfaces in Sonar (Alphatrack, which it effectively rescued from obsolescence, Kore, which I learned some basics of the plugin on, and TouchOSC on a tablet, for which I had to dig deep and learned much more) and I have an inkling of the power and potential it has - I think in the context of Reaper it will be even more powerful and I have a feeling you'll likely find the community more receptive there, as soon as people realize what the plugin is capable of, just because people are more wired to a DIY kind of modality. I'll be on board anyway, though I'm not much use for any kind of programming... 

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/07 17:52:26 (permalink)
Reaper is already advanced in communications, they have powerful web based interface and OSC/MIDI script based engine, in addition to direct binary API and some projects with it. I mean, unlike with Sonar, there is a strong "concurrence" to AZ Controller, which exists for years. But I have interesting ideas how to advance AZ Controller from where it is now, also its already existing strong side is "interactivity", which I do not see in other solutions.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/08 16:27:21 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
Didn't read thru the entire thread (but in case it hasn't been mentioned)...
ARA is coming to Reaper.
Those making extensive use of Melodyne can put Reaper back on their short-list.

Hey Jim, long time no see.

The REAPER devs are pretty quick at making stuff happen too. It was not that long ago that there was no musical notation in REAPER, but they jumped right on that and are improving it more with every release. Their pre-release area on the web forum lets anybody who wants to, be a beta tester, and as such with so many eyes on folks using the pre-release stuff, they get a lot of help fixing things and implementing new functions.

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

subtlearts
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/08 17:14:21 (permalink)
Aha - is that where you disappeared to Jim? Makes sense. Been demo'ing Reaper again after a few years absence and holy freholi, is it looking great. I am seriously impressed...

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/08 17:25:31 (permalink)
subtlearts
Aha - is that where you disappeared to Jim? Makes sense. Been demo'ing Reaper again after a few years absence and holy freholi, is it looking great. I am seriously impressed...

My kid has a bunch of your albums and picks some of the songs out on piano.  I told him you were checking out REAPER and have been using Sonar to produce your albums.  He's a computer geek and uses both Sonar and REAPER, and has been playing around with the native Linux version of REAPER lately.   :-)

Glennbo

Soundwise
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1419
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/08 21:20:07 (permalink)
If scook and azslow will be using REAPER as a primary DAW, I guess I'd better follow their lead.

Anderton
We are all unique and have our own contributions to make to this planet.

SoundCloud
YouTube
BandLab
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/08 22:12:23 (permalink)
Hi-

I've been using REAPER for about 8 years and stopped using SONAR altogether I guess about a year and a half ago. I started using Cakewalk when it first came out for DOS and upgraded religiously until then. It's not important now why I stopped using it, but this is definitely the end of an era for me and of course so many others. I wish all Cake employees the very best.

The REAPER developers are extremely responsive (witness their recent reversal on whether or not to support ARA) and the forum members are very helpful, much as everyone here has been.

Regarding the colors & general look, I don't personally like the default theme, but there are many user-designed themes & they (like pretty much everything else) can also be tweaked. The flexibility & customizability is really amazing, so if you don't like the way something looks or works, chances are you can change it. Being able to make your own custom actions is another big plus for me.

It does take some getting used to coming from SONAR, but as mentioned, there are excellent videos and the User Guide (written by former SONARite Geoffrey Francis) is outstanding. Edit: Oh, and also the SONAR to REAPER Quickstart Guide: https://www.reaper.fm/guides/SONARtoREAPER.pdf

My $.02-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
rcklln
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 421
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/08 23:45:02 (permalink)
I agree Reaper is an awesome DAW that just keeps getting better. As a RX user, I was excited to see them add spectral editing earlier this year - and now ARA! Lot's of resources available such as SWS Extensions that allow functionality like region playlists for working out arrangements. I agree the default theme isn't much to look at but there are tons of additional themes available - personally I like the Logic based themes.
Maarkr
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 488
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/09 02:16:07 (permalink)
Now that there's a break...  I'm dl'ding the Mixcraft Pro 8 to check it out.   This is the first DAW that I'm looking at since Sonar went down.  I'd like to see any opinions and comparisons of the Mixcraft Pro 8 vs Reaper from posters.

I started with Acid 2.0 in the 90's and still keep a newer version of it for old Acid mixes.  Migrated to Cubase then got frustrated with the work flow in ver 4.  Got Reaper and still use it today as a backup.  Used Reason for a few years, then got Sonar.  I plan to keep using SPLAT until it dies or I find a good DAW to replace it down the road.  Thinking about Cubase 95 for now but not in a hurry, because it is a pro DAW in looks and performance. 

Maarkr
Studio: SPALT Lifetime/BL Cakewalk, Studio One 3.5, UAD, Z3ta+2, IKM, NI, Waves, iZotope, Melda, Reaper
i7 3770/Giga Z77 mobo, Win10 Pro-64 w16Gb, MOTU Ultralite MK4, Yamaha HS80M wSub, Live: PX-5S, FA-06, Roland Lucina, Epi Les Paul, Ibanez Bass, Amps, e-drums, Zoom R-16...
Latest album release, NEW! Counry Classic at http://genemaarkr.bandcamp.com/
JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/09 02:55:05 (permalink)
Soundwise,

The guys you mention are heavy hitters for sure. Main reason for you to consider Reaper is if it does what you need it to do. Otherwise and if not, cast it to the wind and move on in the search. The learning curve is way outside the defective model of what we think a DAW has to do, which is why some abort after an hour because it doesn't behave like ProTools.

Also thank you for a past tip on AmpLion as a guitar processor. Made me open up the program and realize what a powerhouse it is.

John
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/09 03:36:37 (permalink)
scottfa
My biggest concern is that Justin gers bored( or something worse happens) with Repear..... Am i in the same boat as i am in now with Sonar in a few months/years?

Not likely. Unlike most products, reaper did not start off trying to recoup invesrment money. Reaper was started in good financial shape. It does not have near the level of licensing fees to pay third parties as most DAWs.
subtlearts
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/09 08:20:33 (permalink)
My kid has a bunch of your albums and picks some of the songs out on piano.  I told him you were checking out REAPER and have been using Sonar to produce your albums.  He's a computer geek and uses both Sonar and REAPER, and has been playing around with the native Linux version of REAPER lately.   :-)

Well that's nice to hear! Where did he hear my work I wonder? I'm guessing the Broken Saints soundtrack... In which case I might even have had some contact with him over the years! Yes, much of it was done in Sonar, though the earliest stuff (Passage) was done in Cubase - like, back when it was midi-only, driving a Kurzweil K2000. Now I feel old!

tobias tinker 
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/09 20:26:50 (permalink)
subtlearts

Well that's nice to hear! Where did he hear my work I wonder? I'm guessing the Broken Saints soundtrack... In which case I might even have had some contact with him over the years! Yes, much of it was done in Sonar, though the earliest stuff (Passage) was done in Cubase - like, back when it was midi-only, driving a Kurzweil K2000. Now I feel old!

My kid was over today and told me it was Broken Saints how he heard of you.  He is an avid gamer, so I showed him this interview with Wilbert Roget II, who uses REAPER to do orchestral compositions for movies and games, and he was pretty impressed, because he was already familiar with the music from WWII Call of Duty.

https://reaperblog.net/2017/11/codwwii_w_roget/

Glennbo

azslow3
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/09 21:16:57 (permalink)
Everything is green in the new world, till you live there for a day...

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=16432&highlight=monitor

Ok, it was a tradition. I like traditions. I never was in an old studio, but now I remember pressing Record on a cassette recorder to activate input monitoring... I guess there is some technical reason, but I do not believe it can not be solved.

I that really THE ONLY way to enable input monitoring in Reaper?
I mean simple input monitoring for MIDI... by "Record arm"+"Monitor record"+"Record: disable" ???
I am really confused now...

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Soundwise
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1419
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/09 22:18:37 (permalink)
JohnKenn
Soundwise,

The guys you mention are heavy hitters for sure. Main reason for you to consider Reaper is if it does what you need it to do. Otherwise and if not, cast it to the wind and move on in the search. The learning curve is way outside the defective model of what we think a DAW has to do, which is why some abort after an hour because it doesn't behave like ProTools.

I do like REAPER, just don't consider it mature. I know it's very powerful, probably more so than other DAWs on the market. It just reminds me of Linux which is also very powerful and tweakable but has too many flavors to be just an efficient working environment and not a DIY kind of thing.
So my hopes are that people with expertise in both audio production and software development may help move things in the right direction.

Also thank you for a past tip on AmpLion as a guitar processor. Made me open up the program and realize what a powerhouse it is.

John

You are welcome, John! I discovered AmpLion by pure accident and tested it thoroughly simply out of curiosity. It has some great sounds, albeit the interface is dated and buggy. Sorry for the OT.

Anderton
We are all unique and have our own contributions to make to this planet.

SoundCloud
YouTube
BandLab
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/09 22:30:25 (permalink)
azslow3
Everything is green in the new world, till you live there for a day...

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=16432&highlight=monitor

Ok, it was a tradition. I like traditions. I never was in an old studio, but now I remember pressing Record on a cassette recorder to activate input monitoring... I guess there is some technical reason, but I do not believe it can not be solved.

I that really THE ONLY way to enable input monitoring in Reaper?
I mean simple input monitoring for MIDI... by "Record arm"+"Monitor record"+"Record: disable" ???
I am really confused now...

Wow, I remember reading that thread almost ten years ago when it was going on!!!

You would only have to disable record *if* for some weird reason you hit record and didn't want it to record.

I just setup a 16 track orchestral template for Kontakt in REAPER, and have 16 different orchestral instruments assigned in Kontakt. When I insert that track template, and hit some keys on my midi keyboard, nothing plays until I hit record on one of the 16  tracks, at which point I am both hearing that instrument, and ready to record that instrument, and it doesn't matter if I click on something else. That track is ready to record and I know it because I can hear myself through it.

I remember losing perfect takes a few times with Sonar because I thought I was in record ready, when I really only had input monitoring turned on. That has NEVER happened to me in REAPER, and I actually remember thinking it was a more logical way for a DAW to work when I first started using REAPER.

My old 1/2" Tascam 8-Track reel-to-reel worked like that, where I had to press record on a track before I would hear any sound from my main mixer through it, so REAPER's monitoring seems completely normal to me. The mixer on top of the deck on the left was for monitoring, and had 8 direct feeds coming from the tape deck. If no track on the tape deck was in record ready, then no sound from the main mixer would be in the monitors.

You could play the tape regardless if any track was in record ready, and you would always hear that, but you would never hear any sound coming from the main mixer until a track was in record ready, and that's exactly how REAPER works.

Glennbo

azslow3
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/10 09:23:45 (permalink)
I remember losing perfect takes a few times with Sonar because I thought I was in record ready, when I really only had input monitoring turned on. That has NEVER happened to me in REAPER, and I actually remember thinking it was a more logical way for a DAW to work when I first started using REAPER.

You can not start recording in Sonar till you arm. In Reaper you also can press play button instead of Rec and so do not record what you have thought. And there is still the case of "Arm:yes" and "Record:disable"...

EDIT: for clarity

Up to now, what I have seen in Reaper was logical, consistent and flexible. That feature at not at some points.
There is "Record Arm", "Record monitor", "Record" and "Input". Many combinations are allowed but do not have much sense for me ( "Input:None", "Record:input", "Arm:yes";  "Input:MIDI All", "Record:input (force stereo)", "Arm:yes") other are "exotic"
("Input:MIDI All", "Record:audio/midi", "Monitor:Off", "Arm:yes"). So 4 different sets of options to influence what should happened with the input and recording, many combinations of which make no sense but rather simple wish is FORBIDDEN by design. If I am allowed to "record nothing" I expect that I am also allowed to "just listen the input" without arming.

To make it clear. That is not a show stopper. In general I LIKE the way this part of routing is implemented in Reaper and it covers/simplify much more use cases then Sonar approach. That is why I have not noticed any inconvenience in my tests before.

I just do not like to see something is "Armed" if I have no intention to record. F.e. if some track(s) are for "play along", I do not want see them as "armed" nor as "auto armed".

I would prefer to have everything the way it is, but I would like to see. "Input monitor" IN ADDITION to what is there.
Can be:
a) just one extra "Input monitor" button, with an option of "auto on when track is selected". But yet another button/options set does not sound as a nice proposal... so
b) a possibility to switch "Record monitor" into "Input monitor" mode. I do not see any reason when both are required in parallel. Note that "Record monitor" echo much more than just the input (since it is possible to record not only the input). All other signals are enabled by default, so Parent get everything from its children, sends are working (obviously) without arming anything. So why not allow normal hardware inputs routing without arming?

My conclusion: current implementation assumes any external signals are for RECORDING only. My wish is to allow them for PLAYBACK as well (as is the case for all internal signals).

post edited by azslow3 - 2017/12/10 12:18:03

Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/10 15:01:12 (permalink)
If what you are really after is the behavior like Sonar where the midi track with focus lets you monitor that track, you can achieve pretty similar functionality in REAPER.

If you multi-select a group of tracks, click one of the end tracks, then hold shift and click select the other end of the range of tracks. This will get a bunch of tracks all selected together.

Then right click any of the now selected tracks and click the option "Automatic Record-Arm When Selected". This will set all the currently selected tracks with that option.

Now just clicking on one of those tracks will turn on monitoring for it (and yes, it puts that track into Record-Arm too), and clicking on a different track with that option set, will take the current one out of Record-Arm, and put the new track that has focus into Record-Arm.

I just tried it on my 16 track Kontakt orchestral setup, and from what I remember of Sonar 5 when I was using it, the behavior seems pretty similar. Click on track with trumpets, play some keys on my midi keyboard, I hear the trumpets. Click on the track with oboe, play some keys, I hear oboe, Etc. Additionally, if I were to hit record, I am ready to record the part I am hearing, which I personally see as a good thing.

Glennbo

maximumpower
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 731
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/10 15:34:53 (permalink)
FWIW I am trying out Reaper because:

1) Active and helpful forum (haven't actually posted yet because I keep finding answers to my questions before posting). For me, the forum was the best part of using Sonar. That is, I never felt stuck because of the many helpful people here. Looking forward to that on the Reaper forum.
2) Kenny Gioia videos are very well done. There are are other good videos too but his are so well organized and to the point
3) For basic setup, recording and mixing of audio, I felt I was up an running very quickly. BTW, I have not read the manual yet. I have watched a lot of videos though :-)

Win 10 (64 bit), i7-2600k 3.4GHz , 8 GB RAM, SATA III (500GB SSD - System, 2TB WD Black - Data), Sonar Platinum x64, m-audio Profire 610

kevmsmith81
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/10 16:07:27 (permalink)
Well I couldn't resist creating a NEW account here. My original one got nuked because of my singing the praises of REAPER!

I jumped ship and became an avid REAPER user after Sonar 5, which I beta tested for. In my most honest opinion, REAPER blows pretty much any other DAW software to pieces, and I ain't saying that so other folks will validate me buying it!

Some things I *LOVE* about it are:

Variable speed control that works just like a reel-to-reel. Slow the song down, and hit that highest note without cracking your voice or going falsetto.

A track is a track is a track.  There is no such thing as an instrument track or an audio track. Any track can record midi or audio, and if you want to be obtuse, you could even record both on one track. You can do crazy stuff like have multiple audio clips, all at different sample rates and bit depths, and it will let you get away with it.

More cool things it does outside the box are, a single track can have up to 64 audio pipelines. What that does for you is let you route the audio that you will hear, vs audio that will be used for side chain functions, or other totally bizarre stuff.

You can stack multiple softsynths into the FX bin and they ALL play so if you want to create a huge and complex instrument, it's a piece of CAKE.

The routing capabilities are farther out than you can probably think, and to lace up routing from one thing to another, you simply drag from the send of one thing to the receive of another, and again with more individual pipelines than you'll ever think of using.

The audio engine is probably the most efficient one on the planet, and Justin even compiles parts of it with older, non-bloated Borland C++ to achieve the least CPU hit imaginable. 

You can copy and paste envelopes, and the envelopes ACTUALLY WORK, unlike some other DAW software!!!

You can scale the entire UI up or down (every element) to sit on your screen well. I have an older net book and used to record my band playing live with it, and with it's limited screen res, I scaled REAPER down to 90%.

A track folder by default is also a bus, which I use extensively for grouping vocals, drums, and other things. You can put folders into other folders and create a complex hierarchies. You can also drag-drop around a folder, if you want to bypass the folder as a sub, but I can't imagine why you would want to do that.

In closing I will say that if you try REAPER, you are going to be intimidated, and that it has a STEEP learning curve, but that is to be expected with a piece of software that has almost infinite possibilities. Don't think that you can spend an hour or two with it, and make and educated decision about it. If you try it, I STRONGLY suggest you get on the forum and ASK questions, as well as watch some of the many videos there are for it.

Sorry to hear that you guys ship has abandoned you.  :-/

Peace
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Glennbo                      

I have to say, this sounds promising. The lack of ARA integration is a shame, but if I need to use Melodyne I can just launch the standalone version and edit the tracks in that. I am seriously considering taking the plunge and purchasing a licence for Reaper. I will definitely download the demo and give it a try. 

Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/10 16:20:45 (permalink)
maximumpowerI have not read the manual yet. I have watched a lot of videos though :-)

I've been using REAPER for going on ten years this coming March, and have never really read the manual. I've downloaded versions of it many times, just to scan for some key word, like just recently I saw on the forum some folks talking about VCA groups, so I grabbed another updated copy of the manual and looked that one "new to me" function up. Beyond that kind of use with the manual, the user group has always got me up and running with any questions or issues I might have.

Glennbo

Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/10 16:25:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kevmsmith81 2017/12/10 17:44:41
kevmsmith81
I have to say, this sounds promising. The lack of ARA integration is a shame, but if I need to use Melodyne I can just launch the standalone version and edit the tracks in that. I am seriously considering taking the plunge and purchasing a licence for Reaper. I will definitely download the demo and give it a try.

REAPER devs have announced that ARA support is coming, and they actually follow through when they make announcements. It doesn't have it yet, but it most definitely will, and using Melodyne as one of the two external editors you can setup in REAPER will let you use it, until it's implemented with ARA.  Here's the announcement.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=200297

Glennbo

Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/10 16:39:11 (permalink)
With all the praise coming from people who know what they're talking about, I can't help but think that Reaper would be a good choice going forward for me as well.

I'm no Sonar expert and know nothing about Reaper.  I've read most of what has been said here on the alternatives, but could someone give us a idea of the main things we'd lose of Sonar by switching to Reaper ?  (apart from ARA for the moment).

The 60$ price tag is way below the competition's regular price.  Why ?  Put another way, if Reaper is so great and so cheap, why consider Studio 1, Cubase, etc. at all ?

(I really liked Sonar's 3d reality look, but that Imperial theme is in another universe)

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
azslow3
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/10 17:34:54 (permalink)
Paul P
The 60$ price tag is way below the competition's regular price.  Why ?  Put another way, if Reaper is so great and so cheap, why consider Studio 1, Cubase, etc. at all ?

Studio 1, Samplidute, etc. ... - $150. But exclude the price of all bundled with them softsynth and most FXes. Then check "education" like prices ($60 for Reaper is reduces prices). Do you still think that Reaper is "so cheap", when compared with other "core" DAWs?

kevmsmith81
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/10 17:48:15 (permalink)
Paul P
With all the praise coming from people who know what they're talking about, I can't help but think that Reaper would be a good choice going forward for me as well.

I'm no Sonar expert and know nothing about Reaper.  I've read most of what has been said here on the alternatives, but could someone give us a idea of the main things we'd lose of Sonar by switching to Reaper ?  (apart from ARA for the moment).

(I really liked Sonar's 3d reality look, but that Imperial theme is in another universe)

The biggest difference I can see between Reaper and the rest is in the bundled plugins. Reaper doesn't have the level of plugins included with others from what I can see (many of which are bundled with some version of Melodyne for example). This is not to say Reaper's bundled plugins are bad though. I downloaded the pack they have available for free and they seemed pretty good. 
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/10 18:29:33 (permalink)
There are a few reasons that REAPER is only $60.  One of them is the obvious one. They only include staple plugins, and nothing at all 3rd party. Initially I thought the included plugins were basic, because well, they *look* pretty basic, but I kept reading people raving about them in the REAPER forum, so I eventually gave them a fair evaluation. The EQ with spectrum display was the first one I really started using on a regular basis, but as time went by I found that the compressor, multi-band compressor, gate, convolution reverb and others were much higher quality than their deceptive look would have you believe.

A second reason that REAPER is so inexpensive is that the company Cockos who makes it, do no advertising, have no marketing department coming up with cool names for things like "Blast Off 64". The names their plugins get are lame and boring, like ReaComp and ReaEQ. Nobody got a big paycheck coming up with those names! Basically, their overhead costs are extremely low, so they can stay in business without charging more for their software.

I know there have been some folks on the main Sonar forum who have claimed that Cockos can do what they do because the founder, "Justin Frankel" is a sooper millionaire from back when he wrote "Winamp" and it became wildly popular, finally selling it to AOL for millions of dollars, but that really isn't the case. When Justin first had Winamp out, it was based on the very same sales model. Download it, use it, pay a very small fee to keep using it, although it won't quit working even if you don't, but will tell you that you really should pay for it. That model of fair pricing rapidly turned Winamp's modest $10 donation fee for a legit license into a $10,000 per month income for him. REAPER is based on that very same fair price model. If you are using the software in a professional environment AND grossing $20,000 or more per year, then REAPER is $250, but if you are grossing less than $20,000 per year, even if you use it in a professional environment, then you only have to pay $60 for a legit license, just like someone using it totally for their own enjoyment.

The last reason that REAPER is only $60 (or $250 if commercial license) is that Justin wants to get the software in as many people's hands as possible, not because he wants to make a killing in profits, but because he wants the world to have high quality software in which people can create music with. He doesn't need the money, but does have some payroll to meet with guys like Schwa, so his goal is to make REAPER sustainable, but not compromised by profit goals. He uses the software himself and sometimes posts bizarre things you can do with it, that you would never think a DAW could do, and both he and Schwa are very hands on with the forum and the general direction of REAPER.

The company mission statement pretty much sums it up.  https://www.cockos.com/index.php

Glennbo

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/10 20:28:35 (permalink)
I still use Winamp 2.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/10 20:41:39 (permalink)
kitekrazy1
I still use Winamp 2.

So do I!

I kept the last version made by Justin/Nullsoft before AOL got their grubby little hands on it.   <g>

I use it for most stereo audio file formats, and still love how I can run it docked unobtrusively as a thin bar to the top right corner of  Windows, and still have enough controls visible and clickable to run it.

Glennbo

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 7 of 10
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1