Helpful ReplyReaper is an awsome DAW "PERIOD" License $60

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 10
Author
DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/04 20:33:03 (permalink)
I've been watching the Groove3 videos; almost convinced!
Time to create a Superior Drummer template (now that I "get" how folders and "busses" work),
then do some midi editing.
I must admit this program is very powerful.
The routing at first is intimidating, but the Groove3 video lays it out simply.
Reminders me of the RME Totalmix; once you wrap your head around it, you can't live without it!

T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/04 20:50:04 (permalink)
After REAPER announced ARA integration, it is very likely to be my next choice, when that time comes.
As of now, I'm still a SONAR user.
But I like the feel of it, both as a DAW and a community.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/04 21:20:50 (permalink)
DeeringAmps
I've been watching the Groove3 videos; almost convinced!
Time to create a Superior Drummer template (now that I "get" how folders and "busses" work),
then do some midi editing.
I must admit this program is very powerful.
The routing at first is intimidating, but the Groove3 video lays it out simply.
Reminders me of the RME Totalmix; once you wrap your head around it, you can't live without it!

If you right click REAPER's mixer and select "Insert virtual instrument on new track", then select Superior Drummer 2, REAPER will ask if you want to create separate audio tracks for the outputs. Selecting yes will build a track with Superior on it, followed by 16 stereo tracks for Superior Drummer's mixer outputs.

From here, pick a drum kit in Superior, and then right click Superior Drummer's mixer on "output" and select "Multichannel".

That will get everything laced up in short order and may be the same thing you saw in the video, but if not, that's how I do it.

One additional thing I do with my kits is pare down the number of outputs to REAPER, doing some grouping within Superior. IOW, instead of using up four tracks for snare top, snare bottom, snare rim, and snare comp, I send all four variations of snare to one output in Superior, so all snare variations are one track in REAPER. If I need to tweak the balance of the four snare parts, I use Superior's mixer, but all FX and mixing of the main components of the drums, I do in REAPER. Most of my kits in REAPER have kick, snare, toms, hihat, overhead, and room.

If you need any help setting any of it up, let me know.  I've been using the two together since Superior 1, which was actually called "Drumkit From Hell Superior".

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/04 22:17:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby som_c 2017/12/07 17:43:05
I do not want to create yet another thread. Before bombing Reaper forum, where such discussion can trigger quite some negativity AKA "holy wars", lets compose the list of Sonar features which are NOT available in Reaper. I guess the list will be smaller then the opposite. Gurus are welcome to correct, in case something is just overseen (but without "no one needs that" comments, please...).

I will start with my own observations:
* ARA. Already declared as coming.
* Control Surfaces integrations. That I can change
* No "key signature". Loops can follow tempo, but not key. Manual pitch shifting can be used as a workaround.
* Track inspector. Is something in that direction exists? Something in that direction: https://reaper.hector-cor..com/app/track-inspector
* Step sequencer. I have checked Megababy, but that is not even close. May be some 3d party VST can be used for that? Sonar MIDI was DX based only, any MIDI VSTs was a nightmare to route, but in Reaper that should not be a problem. Ideas?
* Matrix view. In Sonar it was more buggy then useful, I guess some VST/Reaper plug-in can do at least the same. Which? Something in this direction: https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/playtime/
post edited by azslow3 - 2017/12/07 18:56:04

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/04 22:58:22 (permalink)
azslow3
I do not want to create yet another thread. Before bombing Reaper forum, where such discussion can trigger quite some negativity AKA "holy wars", lets compose the list of Sonar features which are NOT available in Reaper. I guess the list will be smaller then the opposite. Gurus are welcome to correct, in case something is just overseen (but without "no one needs that" comments, please...).

* No "key signature". Loops can follow tempo, but not key. Manual pitch shifting can be used as a workaround.
* Track inspector. Is something in that direction exists?
* Step sequencer. I have checked Megababy, but that is not even close. May be some 3d party VST can be used for that? Sonar MIDI was DX based only, any MIDI VSTs was a nightmare to route, but in Reaper that should not be a problem. Ideas?
* Matrix view. In Sonar it was more buggy then useful, I guess some VST/Reaper plug-in can do at least the same. Which?

In no particular order . . .

One of the cool control surfaces in REAPER is HTML. On my phone, tablet, or any other device that can display web pages that is on the same network as REAPER, you can remotely run it. As for hardware mixer looking things, those are supported pretty well, but I always wonder "why bring back a hardware mixer thing?". Oh well, to each their own. I prefer mixing with envelopes, and no moving parts or space taken up, but that's just me.

Loops?  I never use them at all, because I play all the instruments on my songs, unless I have a friend sitting in, so I don't know much about loops.  I do know that you could record say a rhythm guitar that you wanted to repeat, and only record say a measure of it, then snap trim the start and end to perfect time, glue the clip and it becomes an acidized clip that you can drag the end of out as far as you want. You can also hold alt, then drag the end and it will stretch the clip, while retaining the original pitch.

Plugins like KT Drum Trigger, which listens on multiple bands to audio, and then creates midi to trigger drum instruments is on that I remember having no luck with in Sonar 5 (maybe it works with later versions), because it is both an audio and a midi plugin. With REAPER, I can put KT Drum Trigger on an audio track, set the bands and thresholds the way I want, and then simply drag from that track's "Send" to another track that has something like Superior Drummer 2 on it. 

Hehe, just the other day I did that with one of the famous Buddy Rich bus rants, where he screams and cusses out the members of his band on his bus while on a break. The end result is a sloppy drum solo that is in perfect sync with Buddy Rich's rant.

I never used track inspector when I used Sonar, but I've seen videos for REAPER where docking the mixer to the left of track view and reducing it to the size of one mixer strip, makes it so that click selecting a track in track view, causes the one single mixer track that is docked on the left to be sync'd and display the same track as selected.

Is that what track inspector was used for in Sonar? I have always in both programs split the screen down the middle, with mixer view on the bottom, and track view on the top.

Never used any step sequencing either, but I know that the native midi editor in REAPER has some step recording stuff built in.  This video hits on some of it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmQEq-dE_pc

Matrix view?  Is the the green falling text from that movie?  I have no idea on that one.   ;)

Glennbo

DeeringAmps
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/04 23:58:08 (permalink)
"Most of my kits in REAPER have kick, snare, toms, hihat, overhead, and room"
Makes sense!
Thanks Glen

T

Tom Deering

Win10x64

RME UFX (Audio)
pbognar
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 00:06:44 (permalink)
azslow3

* Track inspector. Is something in that direction exists?
* Matrix view. In Sonar it was more buggy then useful, I guess some VST/Reaper plug-in can do at least the same. Which?

Matrix view?  Is the the green falling text from that movie?  I have no idea on that one.   ;)

Matrix view => PlayTime

I'm researching some loop pitch options.
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 00:41:01 (permalink)
pbognarI'm researching some loop pitch options.

Is it to transpose one single clip out of many, or all clips on a track?

If it's one single clip, you can add any FX you want to individual clips in REAPER, and I've used the plugin ReaPitch to transpose clips within songs where I wanted to ease into a key change, by having the last bit of a clip change to the new key before the whole song changes key. Sort of like an introduction to the new key. I used some of that on the vocal in my song Asymmetric Image.

Clip FX are real good for other stuff too, like compressing the snot out of a vocal that sticks out too much in the mix. There is also the ability to put a pitch envelope on individual clips, but that is really more for things like vocal pitch correction.

Glennbo

Chandler
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 477
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 01:37:51 (permalink)
I’ve been using Reaper for a week and a half now.Somethings about it are great, mostly the flexibility. The region markers are really useful also. Other things like routing and frustrating, but all and all it has been good. I imagine once I get used to the work flow it will be fine. I’ve started working on a song and everything is going well so far. I just reached the mixing stage, so after that’s over I’ll really be able to judge.

My soundcloud page Chandlerhimself
My Youtube page
JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 02:09:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby som_c 2017/12/07 17:46:05
Chandler,

Comment on final mix down in Reaper. Can be a mess depending. My voice not to be a brain dead fan boy. Reaper incredible but like all DAW's, not beyond problems.

When ready to be mixed down to a final wav, the project has a quick processing "Render" option. This may work well, but on occasion, the speed of processing breaks a vst's ability to keep up, and the "rendered" file may deviate from what you hear in the original session. Some deep and arcane threads about what to check etc if rendered waves deviate from what you otherwise hear in the active session..

If you don't have hundreds of files to process, take the "bounce to disc" option one by one. This is done in real time and has no deviation in the final mix from what you hear in the project.

John
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 02:40:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby som_c 2017/12/07 17:48:28
JohnKennComment on final mix down in Reaper. Can be a mess depending. My voice not to be a brain dead fan boy. Reaper incredible but like all DAW's, not beyond problems.

When ready to be mixed down to a final wav, the project has a quick processing "Render" option. This may work well, but on occasion, the speed of processing breaks a vst's ability to keep up, and the "rendered" file may deviate from what you hear in the original session. Some deep and arcane threads about what to check etc if rendered waves deviate from what you otherwise hear in the active session..

If you don't have hundreds of files to process, take the "bounce to disc" option one by one. This is done in real time and has no deviation in the final mix from what you hear in the project.

Unless you are running on an older machine, or have some slow component in the chain, you should be able to use the default quick render option. I'm using a five or six year old Asus P7P55D mobo with an i5 Intel and 6GB of older 1333 DDR3. My machine also has two ancient M-Audio Delta AP2496 cards that I bought when I was running Windows 98SE, and had one machine dedicated for running GigaStudio for drums exclusively.

I run my two 2496 cards at 64 samples latency, and NEVER change it, and I've rendered projects that had a couple of gigs of Superior Drums, another two or three gigs of other sampled instruments loaded up in EZ-Keys, Kontakt, Etc., and around 100 other FX with as many as three instances of Guitar Rig on a couple of guitars and a bass.

Even with all that stuff loaded up, I've still always used quick render, and I've never needed to freeze any tracks, increase latency, or bounce anything to audio tracks.

That said, I generally only use commercial plugins (Toontrack, Waves, Lexicon, Eventide, Etc.) along with the ones that come with Reaper, and avoid all but a few 32 bit commercial plugins (Native Instruments B4, FM7, Etc.)  that have to be bridged.

If for some reason, you have a plugin with extreme high latency or is just buggy, when you go to render, you can select from a drop down list on the render dialog box to render "1x Offline", which is real time still without hearing it play, and that will probably get you a clean render.

Glennbo

JohnKenn
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 04:00:57 (permalink)
Thanks Glen,

Will troubleshoot this more just for the fun of it. Render offline may well be the answer. VST time overrun and routing of effects differently in the bus in relation to what you are listening to if not set up right (master versus what is happening on a track being sent elsewhere in the circuit) have been the two consistent complaints when fast rendered mix does not sound like the session.

John
Frank Harvey
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 214
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 08:51:11 (permalink)
As I find time during the busy day at my REAL JOB............Still just Bumping about 'firing arrows' at Reaper and seeing what happens.
Downloaded and activated the generous  'Overloud' ...Crossgrade VSt's ( with Cakewalk Monogram :) ).
Thnx so much to OVERLOUD............PS: they obviously feel our pain......
Anywho ............ Breverb,Rematrix ,Vx64 ..all present and accounted for................running SMOooooooth :) in Reaper.............FYI.
jbraner
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1830
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 09:26:36 (permalink)
re: rendering - it will be disk streaming synths (Kontakt, Omnisphere, Trilian etc) that cause problems.
Also, plugins that can do 8X oversampling on mixdown.

There must be a way to render in "real time" (?)  but I haven't tried Reaper yet ;-)

John Braner
https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
- Cakewalk by BandLab x64
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
- Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
- MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
er - that's it I think...
ooblecaboodle
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2102
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 14:06:15 (permalink)
Mosvalve
I don't care about Melodyn because I never use it. I don't do loops and never installed them in Sonar. I don't do extensive midi editing or clip editing. I never used most of the features in Sonar so I won't miss them in Reaper. 

Sorry to single you out, I'm just using as an example of what I mean.
I don't mean any offence to anyone, but I see lots of people recommending a new DAW, but then stating things like this. Well, sheesh, guys, honestly if your needs are this basic, then I'm not sure how relevant your experience or recommendations are.
All of the DAWs can record and edit audio to a basic level.
azslow3
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 15:36:53 (permalink)
jbraner
re: rendering - it will be disk streaming synths (Kontakt, Omnisphere, Trilian etc) that cause problems.

There must be a way to render in "real time" (?)  but I haven't tried Reaper yet ;-)

Reaper has the whole range of rendering options. Quick googling has returned that (reasonable) comment: https://forum.cockos.com/...392067&postcount=2

But I guess a bit more explanation required, especially after previous comments.

"Online" means it generates the export absolutely the same way it plays.
Pro: (a) the result is exactly what you hear during mixing (b) all external gears can be used during online export (c) least buggy option (obviously used more, so is better tested)
Cons: (a) it normally (not always! see next comments) takes longer then possible (b) the quality can be lower then possible.

"Offline" means without strict binding to "real time"
Pro: (a) some plug-ins, when "off-line mode" is detected, render better (b) other render the same, bug do that faster
Cons: (a) some plug-ins are not designed to work faster, they are "confused" by not real-time (f.e. they use real world timers for some effects) (b) that mode is less tested, so many plug-ins (and hardware) is buggy in this mode

Reaper has all possible settings to "compensate" consequences as long as that is possible, "Offline 1x" is one of it, but there are per VST tweaks and "Rendering" options in preferences.

One more comment: "Full-speed offline" is the option which is MOST CPU tolerant, it just means "Render in offline mode as fast as possible". This "possible" is NOT time restrictive, that can be 100 times faster then real-time or 100 times lower. 1x offline and online are CPU dependent. CPU should be able to process "real-time". Note that "1x offline" can be more CPU demanding that online and theoretically produce audio glitches with insufficient processing power (while there is no "buffer under-run" for rendering, if processing is unable to keep 1x (real-time) speed, a part of "full-speed" problems can return since the real-world timing will be incorrect).   

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
JohnKenn
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 15:47:12 (permalink)
Good information azslow.
@Jbraner, there is the previously mentioned "bounce to disc" real time option which records the pristine wave file, no artifacts exactly the way you hear it in the mix.
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 15:58:00 (permalink)
jbraner

That's what the "1x Offline" is that I mentioned above. The other choices are "Full Speed Offline", which is variable in how fast it renders, based on how busy and complex things are at any given time. Then there are choices for "Online Render" which is real time and you hear it as it renders. Plus an Online 1x and offline "Idle" selection.

I have the full version of Kontakt, but not Omnisphere or Trilian, and I always use the quick render, but I suppose if you are running plugs that do disk streaming like the old GigaStudio used to, then you might need to try one of the other methods of rendering.

Glennbo

azslow3
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 16:13:30 (permalink)
ooblecaboodle
Mosvalve
I don't care about Melodyn because I never use it. I don't do loops and never installed them in Sonar. I don't do extensive midi editing or clip editing. I never used most of the features in Sonar so I won't miss them in Reaper. 

Sorry to single you out, I'm just using as an example of what I mean.
I don't mean any offence to anyone, but I see lots of people recommending a new DAW, but then stating things like this. Well, sheesh, guys, honestly if your needs are this basic, then I'm not sure how relevant your experience or recommendations are.
All of the DAWs can record and edit audio to a basic level.

I agree that this thread has too many "I don't..." statements and that is destructing from the real power side of Reaper.

It is a DAW targeting freedom (in license), flexibility (in extensions and customizations), performance and stability.
Stability and flexibility are mutual exclusive in general, that can cause confusion.

"Basic level" is relative. One example: someone (especially programmers) can think that analyzing and avoiding problems in a complex  system (DAW core, external connections, 1000s of VSTs, performance) is a "basic" property. Reaper is "armed and armored" in that direction. Sonar has nothing at all for that.

That is why I have started realistic and constructive list several posts ago: what someone will miss when switching from Sonar to Reaper.

Repeated several times already, but: Reaper is 11MB download and no registration required for that. It does not pollute registry, can be installed on USB stick. That means that is the only DAW which everyone can start to test in its full power within a minutes and without consequences.

jjj.fcc
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 16:34:38 (permalink)
Well, I've also considered Reaper as the first "next DAW" attempt, after the sad Gibson announcement.

I have Studio One 2 Artist already installed in my machine due to some old offer, but the lack of VST support is too non-sense for me, so I didn't even try much harder on it.

I must say that Reaper surprised me, positively. When I saw the size of the installer, I thought "nah... just a toy...". But I was wrong... I've been able to do a quick song, with 2 virtual instruments and a real one in minutes. 

To reduce the learning curve and to be more confortable to my eyes, I've downloaded a Sonar-like theme (which I strongly recommend if you are not in a mood of great visual changes, like me). The theme is called "Addiktion Alternate". It's kinda old (resembles X1 version), but, IMHO, is better than the default theme for whoever is coming from Sonar.

Another interesting thing about Reaper is the DirectX support. I know... I know... It's old, blah, blah, blah, but I have some old dx plugins that I really love...

And there is the price, one of the cheapest among the real options we have.

So... I think I'll stick with Reaper...
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 16:45:19 (permalink)
azslow3
I agree that this thread has too many "I don't..." statements and that is destructing from the real power side of Reaper.

I DO use more than one VSTi instrument on a single track and DO hear them all in REAPER.
I DO use the Parameter Modulation that REAPER has which can do things like ride the wet control of a reverb or delay.
I DO use REAPER's unequaled routing capabilities to do things that are impossible on other DAWs.
I DO use the Variable Speed control to hit occasional high vocal notes when my voice is cracking or blown out.
I DO use burn to CD render option to make CDs for testing my mixes in the car.
I DO use the portable install option on USB drives and to have both 64 and 32 bit REAPER on my hard drive.
I DO use REAPER's ability to scale the UI for a less than 100% size UI on my netbook.
I DO use the easy copy and paste of envelopes to duplicate them on other tracks.
I DO use REAPER's HTML interface to run it from across the room using my smartphone.
I DO use REAPER's Drag and Drop functionality for patching things like side chaining up.
I DO use the native pitch stretching in REAPER to lengthen or shorten clips without altering pitch.
I DO use clip based envelopes for pitch and volume to correct minor pitch or volume problems.
I DO use clip based FX to put an effect only on one single clip of a track with many clips.
I DO use the notation in REAPER just to hear my wife play my compositions on piano

I DON'T use Sonar any longer, but still have it installed on my machine so I can still get to my oldest projects.

There, I only used one instance of "I DON'T" this time!   <ggg>

Glennbo

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 16:59:25 (permalink)
jjj.fcc
Well, I've also considered Reaper as the first "next DAW" attempt, after the sad Gibson announcement.

I have Studio One 2 Artist already installed in my machine due to some old offer, but the lack of VST support is too non-sense for me, so I didn't even try much harder on it.
Another interesting thing about Reaper is the DirectX support
And there is the price....

While I have no interest in immediately switching to it, these are a few factors for me. I do not mind the default interface but do appreciate the flexibility built into the UI. There are a some setup things I need to sort out such as the manual ASIO offset and possibly the MIDI offset. SONAR provided a single ASIO offset, Reaper has one for input and one for output. For now, I am assuming the input offset is similar to the offset in SONAR. Need to play with it some to know for sure.

I do miss the FX Rack in the Track View Track Headers (TCP in Reaper, I wish they had selected a different TLA because TCP will always read as Transmission Control Protocol to me).
jbraner
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 17:49:54 (permalink)
I have the full version of Kontakt, but not Omnisphere or Trilian, and I always use the quick render, but I suppose if you are running plugs that do disk streaming like the old GigaStudio used to, then you might need to try one of the other methods of rendering

Well, it doesn't hurt to run through the entire song once (or twice) before you render, so that the streaming apps can cache a little bit. This would probably apply to any DAW...

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 18:39:08 (permalink)
jbraner
I have the full version of Kontakt, but not Omnisphere or Trilian, and I always use the quick render, but I suppose if you are running plugs that do disk streaming like the old GigaStudio used to, then you might need to try one of the other methods of rendering

Well, it doesn't hurt to run through the entire song once (or twice) before you render, so that the streaming apps can cache a little bit. This would probably apply to any DAW...

With Superior Drummer I have it set to load every sample in a kit right off the bat, and no "on demand" loading.  I guess some of the other instruments you mentioned don't have an option to load everything right from the start?

Glennbo

azslow3
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 19:58:50 (permalink)
azslow3

I DO use...

You have understood me right, Schwa has also understood me right (in the ARA thread)...
I hope I can positively influence Reaper community

I DO use REAPER's HTML interface to run it from across the room using my smartphone.

When I have started to implement that for Sonar, there was no interest for such feature (at least no feedback it exists). Also I have found that no matter what I try to do in the browser, it has slower reaction than dedicated applications (TouchOSC, TouchDAW). So I have stopped (but Sonar web transport control still exists).

jbraner
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 21:31:14 (permalink)
jbraner

With Superior Drummer I have it set to load every sample in a kit right off the bat, and no "on demand" loading.  I guess some of the other instruments you mentioned don't have an option to load everything right from the start?

That's right - Superior doesn't stream, it loads everything in to memory.

Kontakt, Trilian, Omnisphere etc stream from disk. They load a little bit of the samples in RAM and stream the rest ;-)

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
DeeringAmps
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/05 22:59:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby som_c 2017/12/07 17:58:15
I always freeze all VSTi (generally EZD or Superior, Trillian, piano du jour) prior to bouncing a final mix or master.
Of course this is in SONAR, I guess in REAPER I would be "rendering" a final mix or master.

T

Tom Deering

Win10x64

RME UFX (Audio)
Frank Harvey
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 214
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 08:42:12 (permalink)
OK,
For the past several days......Within my REAPER DEMO....I have been trying all the Dx,DXi,VST,VSTi,VST3,VST3i,
(NB: haven't delved into JS script format yet.)
JS Looks intriguing though :)
QUESTION:
Directed to those of far greater Reaper experience than I..(eg: Glennbo).......& Thnx Gennbo for all of your insights.
Now...If I find that during my random , cursory, testing of REAPER that many ( NB: probably most at this stage) of the plugins I used in SPLAT seem to work fine in Reaper ...( NB:  I Discovered BT plug ins don't work in Reaper)..... am I on 'SAFE GROUND' for those particular plug ins   OR  is the fact that such plug ins as Rapture Session working fine in Reaper are dependent on my Cakewalk Sonar program being still on my PC and being Valid .......be it Life Member or whatever .........linked to a server even :)
I hope I made that reasonably clear :).
I would greatly appreciate some experienced insight in this regard.
Cheers................Frank in OZ.

azslow3
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 11:10:38 (permalink)
I will not bet $10000 on that, but there are 2 types of plug-ins in Sonar:
a) which are DAW independent. They will work in any DAW, not looking around for Sonar
b) which run inside Sonar only. They detect the DAW on startup and refuse to function when the DAW is not Sonar.

I mean from my knowledge there is not a single plug-in which check the presence of Sonar to work in other DAWs and for sure not Sonar validity (checking validity require some "insider" knowledge how to do this).

But you need some way to install these plug-ins without Sonar. That depends in which Sonar version the plug-in was distributed and how.

Do not forget to apply for Overloud and AAS licenses. That effectively drastically reduce the number of plug-ins you can not use in other DAWs (and that is free).

jbraner
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/12/06 11:15:13 (permalink)
DeeringAmps
I always freeze all VSTi (generally EZD or Superior, Trillian, piano du jour) prior to bouncing a final mix or master.
Of course this is in SONAR, I guess in REAPER I would be "rendering" a final mix or master.

T

I do exactly the same. So, in SONAR, the freezing part is just like bouncing - and we want to be sure we get a good "freeze" for each track, and then a bood "bounce" at the end.

I would guess that we'll just do the same in Reaper - so we'll just need to check that all our freezes and bounces sound good ;-)
If they don't, we'll have to dork around with the "options" until it does come out good.
At least we've got some info here about what the options mean ;-)

I've already seen a few "CONAR" people on the Reaper forums - so I think we'll be in good comapny

John Braner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 10
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1