Helpful ReplyShould I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/13 21:04:20 (permalink)
gmp
Since so many in this thread know so much about Win 10 and MS, can some of you chime in on this please? First of all I think I'm wrong about Win 10 being a yearly subscription service. Is that right?

Here's the deal. All those people running XP haven't contributed any money to Microsoft in 15 years. Those running 7 haven't contributed any in 7 years. A company can't stay in business that way.

Windows 10 is free to people who have 7 or 8. If you build a PC, you will need to buy W10; new PCs will have it pre-installed, and Dell or whomever will have had to pay for a license.

Why free? Because Microsoft hopes you're going to do in-app purchases for years to come. You get 5 GB free cloud storage with W10; pay $1.99 a month, and you get 50 GB. Pay $9.99 a month, and you get 1 Terabyte and Microsoft Office. You can buy music and movies, other software, etc. Over the course of 15 years, XP $ to Microsoft = 0. Over the course of 15 years, W10 $ to Microsoft = almost certainly a whole lot more than 0.

Those who like to complain about everything will say "MS is nickel and diming us to death, this sucks" while forgetting they're getting the OS for free . Realistically, what Microsoft has done is essentially given you the option to create an a la carte computer. It works fine as is, but if you want more, you pay for it. Yes, if I pay $9.99 a month for a year, I've paid $120 for Office and a Terabyte of storage. Is that a fair price? I think so. If it isn't, I can use Open Office and look around for a cheaper storage option. 

I think it's a really clever solution on how to stay in business while giving customers what they want - no more, no less. When you consider that W10 also works with tablets and phones, and doesn't have the same wall that Apple has separating OS X and iOS...it's pretty cool. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/13 21:19:32 (permalink)
Thanks Craig what you said makes perfect sense and sounds very fair to me also. Thanks for the clarification and the reality check - ha ha.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/13 21:27:34 (permalink)
Don't forget, they are competing with open source, which is also ... Free. It can come with Office Libre (Free too) if you like.

Ubuntu also has an app store, but ... everything is Free... Like Ardour.

When science grows at the expense of society, all kinds of goofy constraints grow up that make things develop in weird mutant ways instead of naturally and together. We do not really want Mickey Mouse protected from infringement for all eternity. We should be shortening copyright protections, not extending them.

When science works against the society, truly terrible things can happen.

When I buy Sonar, I also contribute to open source. It's only fair.

If you haven't given a nickle to wikipedia this year, please consider it.
post edited by gswitz - 2016/01/13 21:46:27

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/13 21:35:52 (permalink)
petec
Although nobody seems to have mentioned it, would I be correct in assuming all you guys that have upgraded to Win10 successfully have done so after doing a full backup of your system?

Or did you jump straight in and treat Win10 as a usual (if lengthy) windows update? Is it that reliable/safe?

I just updated... the rollback feature seemed safe enough.  I routinely back up my song files and have backed up samples to avoid long download times.  But didn't do anything for w10.

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
joakes
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 905
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/13 21:45:32 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
microapp
Kenny,
Support for win 8.0 has ended.
http://techcrunch.com/201...-of-internet-explorer/

W T Heck ?

Hey microapp , thank you for pointing that out to me  I honestly had no idea ....

The last line in that article is such a crock of BS 

"Windows 8 is still running on 2-3 percent of PCs, or 30-40 million devices. By forcing customers’ hands by ending support for older versions, Microsoft is encouraging those users to finally ditch their outdated software. "

Yeah Right Microsoft .
I bought my Win 8 64 bit computer Brand Spanking New in October less than 2 and half years ago just to be able to run SONAR X 3 PE ...
My Win 8  computer spent most of it life offline sitting in a kitchen drawer because I thought that placing this computer in a kitchen drawer unused was a much more compassionate fate for this computer than what I really wanted to do to it 

Sheesh , I packed both my Mac's away so I can focus on learning SONAR SPlat VIA my Win 10 Laptop ...
After reading that I'm seriously considering unpacking them bad boys and going back to OSX full time ....
The only thing stopping me from going back there is  I made a personal commitment to learning my way around SONAR
I've been half a$$ing it for way too long & I really do Love using Splat In it's current state , it's the SONAR I've always wanted.

microapp
Kenny,
You should be able to clean install Win 10 over win 8.0.
Just use the key from win 8.0.
I think they added this possibility in Nov update.
Then again since 8.0 is not supported, I would just bite the bullet and update to 8.1.
I did this on a couple of machines and it was flawless and fairly quick.
Then you could keep all your auths from other 3rd parties when you move to 10 (hopefully anyway).
Myself , I like the clean install but may try update in place from 8.1 to 10 on my DAW.
Can you say or hint at what program was such a pain to re-auth? I would like to know so I don't buy it.

Once again thank you microapp for the info
I do happen to like Win 10 a lot actually . Much more than I thought I would .
As I mentioned before , my primary concern is the added schlep of having to do the upgrade to 8.1 first before being able to upgrade to Win 10  ...
I have no idea what I may loose in that transition to 8.1 ( regarding having to reauthorize ... the same goes for 10..)
Twice the concern unless I just go dirty and not even open up anything in 8.1 , hope for the best and jump to 10 by doing an in place upgrade ...
If i didn't have to do that first I would pull the trigger and do an in place upgrade from Win 8 ...to Win 10 ..right now ...tonight ...
I honestly don't care all that much about having to reauthorize anything from Cakewalk , IK , PG Music , Harrison , XLN , Abelton , Overloud , NI, Melodyne , Sony  or any other number of 3rd party software vendors  ...
I don't want to have to burn a serial number just for Samplitude Pro X 2 , the full version of Vandal and a few other doodads I bought from Magix .....
They burned me real good with the 3 activation rule they have in place when I was using XP a number of years ago ...

I haven't forgotten ....

Kenny

Kenny, when i up graded frm W7 to W10 pro, i was hesitent as with W7 to W8 i had to roll back twice.

For W7 to W10, all i had to reactivate was AD 2 but that took 1 minute to sort out, BTW. I also have Samplitude X2 Pro but it made the transition flawlessly.

My Roland/Edirol units needed the text file hacks, the changes to the inf files have been well documented in these forums.

I had a horrendous latency problem in W7. Which mysteriously disappeared on doing the upgrade. My two (Euro) cents is to take the plunge and do it.

Cheers,
Jerry

Built by yours truely : I7-2600@3.4GHz, Asus P67Z68, W10x64 Creator Edition, 32GB RAM, 3 HD's, nVidia 760 GT, Focusrite 18i20 2,d Gen + Ti FW, Oxygen 61 iv Gen, and Edirol SD-20 (yes it works), CbB, Teles, Strats, LP's, Epi Riviera, etc
gmp
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/13 22:04:40 (permalink)
When I bought my new computer last June. I was already used to Win 7 and Platinum for about 3 months, but I was persuaded to go with Win 8.1. Unfortunately I not only had to get used to a new OS in Win 8.1, but I also had to get a new soundcard, AVB Ultralite, since my old Echo soundcard was too old. I was also trying to go to 64 bit Plat from 32 bit. 

I had lots of problems and seem to have about now gotten pretty stable, but not sure if I’m out of the woods. When there are so many new things, it’s very hard to know where the culprit is, but I feel like Win 8.1 was part of the problem, if not all of it.

I’ve noticed many talking about rolling back. I just assumed that MS wouldn't let me rollback to Win 7, since this wasn't an upgrade but a new OEM OS. So what’s the deal can I rollback to Win 7 if I want to? Or will that open a can of worms?

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
GregGraves
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 282
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 03:50:55 (permalink)
Didn't you learn your lesson when you went from Win7 to Win8?

I am "Five Foot Wall" on Spotify, Deezer, etc.  Platinum, Windows 7 64bit, AMD FX-6100 hex-core @3.8ghz, 8 gig ram (never use more than 5 gigs), Delta 44, UM-2
[Note: join date reflects inability to migrate old account to new forum]

https://greggraves.bandcamp.com/track/whatcha-gonna-do
https://greggraves.bandcamp.com/track/true-believer-man

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 05:58:10 (permalink)
OK just a quick word ,
I know this is the OP's thread, with that in mind I'm gonna share what I'm gonna share . I hope he gets something out of it

I do not know how to delete some of the quotes ...my apology's in advance .

joakes
kennywtelejazz
microapp
Kenny,
Support for win 8.0 has ended.
http://techcrunch.com/201...-of-internet-explorer/

W T Heck ?

Hey microapp , thank you for pointing that out to me  I honestly had no idea ....

The last line in that article is such a crock of BS 

"Windows 8 is still running on 2-3 percent of PCs, or 30-40 million devices. By forcing customers’ hands by ending support for older versions, Microsoft is encouraging those users to finally ditch their outdated software. "

Yeah Right Microsoft .
I bought my Win 8 64 bit computer Brand Spanking New in October less than 2 and half years ago just to be able to run SONAR X 3 PE ...
My Win 8  computer spent most of it life offline sitting in a kitchen drawer because I thought that placing this computer in a kitchen drawer unused was a much more compassionate fate for this computer than what I really wanted to do to it 

Sheesh , I packed both my Mac's away so I can focus on learning SONAR SPlat VIA my Win 10 Laptop ...
After reading that I'm seriously considering unpacking them bad boys and going back to OSX full time ....
The only thing stopping me from going back there is  I made a personal commitment to learning my way around SONAR
I've been half a$$ing it for way too long & I really do Love using Splat In it's current state , it's the SONAR I've always wanted.

microapp
Kenny,
You should be able to clean install Win 10 over win 8.0.
Just use the key from win 8.0.
I think they added this possibility in Nov update.
Then again since 8.0 is not supported, I would just bite the bullet and update to 8.1.
I did this on a couple of machines and it was flawless and fairly quick.
Then you could keep all your auths from other 3rd parties when you move to 10 (hopefully anyway).
Myself , I like the clean install but may try update in place from 8.1 to 10 on my DAW.
Can you say or hint at what program was such a pain to re-auth? I would like to know so I don't buy it.

Once again thank you microapp for the info
I do happen to like Win 10 a lot actually . Much more than I thought I would .
As I mentioned before , my primary concern is the added schlep of having to do the upgrade to 8.1 first before being able to upgrade to Win 10  ...
I have no idea what I may loose in that transition to 8.1 ( regarding having to reauthorize ... the same goes for 10..)
Twice the concern unless I just go dirty and not even open up anything in 8.1 , hope for the best and jump to 10 by doing an in place upgrade ...
If i didn't have to do that first I would pull the trigger and do an in place upgrade from Win 8 ...to Win 10 ..right now ...tonight ...
I honestly don't care all that much about having to reauthorize anything from Cakewalk , IK , PG Music , Harrison , XLN , Abelton , Overloud , NI, Melodyne , Sony  or any other number of 3rd party software vendors  ...
I don't want to have to burn a serial number just for Samplitude Pro X 2 , the full version of Vandal and a few other doodads I bought from Magix .....
They burned me real good with the 3 activation rule they have in place when I was using XP a number of years ago ...

I haven't forgotten ....

Kenny

Kenny, when i up graded frm W7 to W10 pro, i was hesitent as with W7 to W8 i had to roll back twice.

For W7 to W10, all i had to reactivate was AD 2 but that took 1 minute to sort out, BTW. I also have Samplitude X2 Pro but it made the transition flawlessly.

My Roland/Edirol units needed the text file hacks, the changes to the inf files have been well documented in these forums.

I had a horrendous latency problem in W7. Which mysteriously disappeared on doing the upgrade. My two (Euro) cents is to take the plunge and do it.

Cheers,
Jerry

Hello Jerry ,

Thank you for posting what you said .
The moment I read your words about "S ...Pro X2 "  made the trip OK , That was all I needed to hear .
This was the main thing holding me back since I have way too much money tied up in that company as it is .
The other personal determining factor was fear ...of course...

OK , so here's what I did .....
I went straight to MS downloaded the Win 10 64 pre installer and ran that installer while Win 8.0 was still my OS .

I will spare all you kind folks on the forum all the drama and pregame rituals I went through .It would be sufficient to say that I had a Class A type Tude rolling w a full head of steam plus a chip on each shoulder thrown in for good measure and balance 

The essence of what happened was I refused to update to Windows 8.1 first and I had no intention of budging from that position. 

After spending a good 2 1/2 hours of letting Windows do it's thing , my upgrade from Win 8.0 to Win 10 was successful

I just spent another 3 hours going through everything ..testing and running all my programs ...
There were only 2 glitches that I have experienced so far ....
I had to reauthorize my XLN products , also while running my VST scan in SONAR the IDR mono plug would hang to the point where I had to close the VST scan prematurely ..( need to solve that one ) anyone ?

SONAR is running much better on this machine in Win 10 64 than it ever did in Win 8 64...
Also to my utter shock and surprise Project 5 seems to be running a lot better also in Win 10 than it did in Win 8...

Good riddance  Win 8 ...you really Sucked 

all the best ,

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2016/01/14 06:25:38

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

ston
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 965
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 06:31:18 (permalink)
As you have the pro version of 8, I think this should upgrade to Win 10 pro, which means that you will have a decent amount of control over windows updates and what data is sucked from your machine to the internets/cloud.

Technically, W10 is a better OS. My personal objections are more to do with a) how damn pushy M$ are being about it and b) the 'default' behaviour of the OS wrt installing updates and sucking your personal data. I don't like the amount of control they are apparently trying to wrest from the user's hands.  I wish they'd stop trying to be like grauooglz.

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 07:59:25 (permalink)
I can understand the fear of plunging into something new but Windows 10 is going to be the only supported OS and will begin this year to cost for the upgrade if one waits too long. I didn't need to hack my Roland/Edirol drivers for Windows 10. They automatically downloaded and installed when I plugged in my Edirol device. I think MS is trying to consolidate its OS support plus drivers for just one OS. It is the future. There should be no fear as long as you have a current OS that can be upgraded. I have Windows 10 on all my computers. A desktop a laptop and a tablet. It runs on all three with no issues. It also runs better than any other OS that it replaces.

There is nothing to fear but fear itself!  

Best
John
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 10:26:52 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
The essence of what happened was I refused to update to Windows 8.1 first and I had no intention of budging from that position.

SONAR is running much better on this machine in Win 10 64 than it ever did in Win 8 64...
Also to my utter shock and surprise Project 5 seems to be running a lot better also in Win 10 than it did in Win 8...

Kenny, no offense, but Win 8 sucked because you didn't go to 8.1 which ironed out most of the issues.
I don't know anyone who stopped at Win 8 and has a stable system (With a diverse set of software installed.  If all you're doing is playing Hearts, it's probably fine). 

I'm sure you had your reasons for not going to 8.1, but to say Win 10 is much better than 8 is not saying much at all.  Had you gone to 8.1, you might have very well decided to skip Win 10 for the time being.

Just saying...

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
ston
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 965
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 11:45:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2016/01/14 14:47:46
John
There is nothing to fear but fear itself!  

Not pain, not failure, not fatal tragedy?
Not the faulty units in this mad machinery?
Not the broken contacts of emotional chemistry?

I couldn't 'elp it, guv.
post edited by ston - 2016/01/14 11:58:41
kennywtelejazz
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 12:06:13 (permalink)
JonD
kennywtelejazz

Kenny, no offense, but Win 8 sucked because you didn't go to 8.1 which ironed out most of the issues.
I don't know anyone who stopped at Win 8 and has a stable system (With a diverse set of software installed.  If all you're doing is playing Hearts, it's probably fine). 

I'm sure you had your reasons for not going to 8.1, but to say Win 10 is much better than 8 is not saying much at all.  Had you gone to 8.1, you might have very well decided to skip Win 10 for the time being.

Just saying...

@Jon D

Rather than screwing around with my Win 8 computer...
I went out and I bought a brand new Win 10 computer for the sole purpose of finding out for myself if I could Vibe with Win 10 while using Splat and a few other things ...
Having gone there first , that was all the convincing I needed .

That sure don't sound like playing games to me . Where I come from , having a solid workable plan in place is plain old simple common sense ...
I was able to get very good performance and stability in Win 8 ..  I simply hated the OS .....
Working in Win 8 felt as exciting and as creative as putting in a day at the office in a cubicle ..I have never felt that way when using  OSX
I have no desire whatsoever to use Windows 8 in any incarnation for any reason any more ...period ...end of story......

have a good one ,

Kenny

PS .    Good Riddance to you Windows 8 ... Windows 8 You Really Sucked ...

Just saying  .....

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2016/01/14 13:29:48

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

papacucku
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 135
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 12:18:53 (permalink)
@gmp Can you take a macrium reflect image of the machine then upgrade from 8 to 10?  I went right from 7 to 10 and I really like 10.  

Rig1: Platinum. 1513 Intel Core i7 5930K (3.50GHz) 32GB DDR3 SSD, GTX 970 Windows  10 64. Focusrite Saffire 6i6. Presonus Monitors.

Rig 2:Platinum. Win 7,  Quad CPU 8 DDR3. SSD. RME multiface II, Oktopre MKII, StudioLive AI 16,  Presonus Sceptre Coaxial Monitors.  
Drums:TAMA ImperialStar, Roland TD30
Keys: Yamaha Mx-61, M-audio Keystation IRIG I/O Midi Controllers.
Additional Plugs:Melodyne Editor, Izotope (all), Autotune, Trillian, East West(most),Addictive Drums2, Addictive Piano, AIR FX Collection.

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 12:28:59 (permalink)
JonD
kennywtelejazz

Just saying...

Yes Windows 8.1 did fix somethings in 8. However it also broke somethings I liked about 8. Windows 10 has pretty much fixed all the issues I had with Win 8 and 8.1. The biggest one being apps not able to run along side programs. 

With Windows 10 an app is the same as a program to the end user. There still needs some work but by and large its very well on its way to being an outstanding OS. Its a lot better than either 8 or 8.1. BTW they were very good OSs too. 

Best
John
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 12:33:36 (permalink)
I haven't read all these posts, but I just upgraded from W7 to W10 and it was painless (like, surprisingly so). After the update my Octa-Capture wasn't being seen so I went to download the W10 drivers and came to a read me that said they would be installed automatically (HA!), I went back to my desktop and lo and behold while I was reading about it Windows went and acquired the drivers automatically. Say what?!

I'm seeing small speed increases in boot time and so far performance has been problem-free. For a free upgrade you can't beat that.

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
gmp
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 12:53:40 (permalink)
papacucku
@gmp Can you take a macrium reflect image of the machine then upgrade from 8 to 10?  I went right from 7 to 10 and I really like 10.  

Actually I have tons of Acronis images and when I make the plunge I'll try the dual boot Win 10 and Win 8. I'll post back here how this all works out.  If this guy at this other forum below is correct, I'll have the extra safeguard. Here's what he said:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
https://discuss.howtogeek...his-situation/40312/17
Again, you're confusing Activation with Licensing.
Microsoft doesn't kill your Activation record for your old Windows 8.1 key, so you can re-install Windows 8.1 on the same system down the road, even if you upgrade to Windows 10.
But the legal right to use Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 at the same time does go away. Legally, you are supposed to decide between one or the other. Microsoft's EULA does say that you must have two separate licenses to install two copies of the OS on the same computer, AKA dual booting.
Again, from a practical standpoint, I've never seen that enforced. No one is going to stop you from keeping Windows 8.1 on a second partition if you have trouble with 10, and certainly no one is going to stop you from re-installing 8.1 later if 10 fails for you in some way you don't notice in the first 30 days.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
ChristopherM
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1921
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 13:08:42 (permalink)
If you do migrate from 8.1 to 10, be sure to retain your licence key for 8.1. You will need it if you ever need to reinstall Windows 10 (as the upgrade does not generate a valid Win 10 key). I found this out the hard way as a consequence of a mobo failure. When I booted up with the replacement mobo, Win 10 decided it was no longer activated. Even using the phone-based MS Support line, I was getting nowhere - the agent actually told me that I would have to reinstall Windows 8.1 and then upgrade again (!!!). While I was on hold as he sought his supervisor's opinion as I had rejected this solution, I did some googling and found that MS has now made it possible to activate Win 10 with a valid Win8.1 key. I tried that and Win 10 immediately activated. I never heard what the supervisor had to say.
JonD
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 14:03:19 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz

@Jon D

I went out and I bought a brand new Win 10 computer for the sole purpose of finding out for myself if I could Vibe with Win 10 while using Splat and a few other things ...

That sure don't sound like playing games to me . Where I come from , having a solid workable plan in place is plain old simple common sense ...
I was able to get very good performance and stability in Win 8 ..  I simply hated the OS .....
Working in Win 8 felt as exciting and as creative as putting in a day at the office in a cubicle ..I have never felt that way when using  OSX
I have no desire whatsoever to use Windows 8 in any incarnation for any reason any more ...period ...end of story......

have a good one ,

Kenny

Just saying  .....

Um, I've read your post twice and still have no idea what you're saying.  All I said was 8.1 is known to be solid for the vast majority of people.  You were on 8.0 and if you couldn't be bothered to try the update, that's fine.

Not trying to convince you to revert (if that's what you're thinking).

But hey, you're happy, so whatever.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
wetdentist
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1129
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 14:14:49 (permalink)
so are people happy with the free Windows 10, the one whose updates you can't control?
did you have to do a clean install, or the other quicker easier install?

3.5 Ghz AMD 6-Core/16 gigs RAM, Roland Quad-Capture, Win 10, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Komplete 10, z3ta+, Z3TA+ 2, Rapture, Maschine 2.7 (MKI & Jam), Melodyne 4 Studio, Ozone 4, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2, Schecter Damien Elite, Fender Sonoran w/TronicalTune Plus installed, etc 
go here to hear Wet Dentist (2000-2016 RIP)
my new sounds: The Das Kaput

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 15:49:42 (permalink)
I'm happy with my Win 10 upgrade.

I had to re-auth AD2 and a few others. Not bad considering the amount of plugins I own.
jatoth
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 363
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 15:51:46 (permalink)
Nothing is free!
You will be paying one way or another. Win10 home will be paid for by advertisements in the "apps". MS is selling you just like Google. Most of the included apps in the home version will be "Ad based", and stripped down versions (think solitaire, wordpad, notepad, etc.). To get rid of the annoyances, or to use the "full" version of any included apps, you will need to "subscribe" to the "pro/enterprise" version.
For me, Windows 7 Pro works fine and I will continue using it until the computer needs to be replaced. If at some point Sonar stops working on Win7, I will no longer upgrade Sonar. If I was unfortunate enough to have Win 8 or 8.1, then I would probably bite the bullet and go for Win 10.
Just my $.02. YMMV

John

X3e Producer, Sonar Platinum, Sweetwater CreationStation i5 3.1gHz, 12 GB RAM, 500GB SSD OS drive, 1TB SSD audio drive, 1TB archive/misc drive, dual 22" monitors, Windows 7x64, SaffirePro40 (firewire), MOTU MIDI Express XT, Behringer BCF2000, dbx 586, Samson Servo 120a, Yamaha HS80M, Auratone 5c Cubes, Sennheiser HD650, Sony MDR 7509HD, Sony MDR 7506, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000.
Shambler
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 15:53:17 (permalink)
My experience of upgrading from 8.1 to 10 was going well, no issues for a few weeks.

However it then started to play up, clicking on the 'start' button did nothing except make the taskbar flicker for a bit.

Searching for a solution I found many people with a similar issues, there were many 'fixes' out there none of which worked...the last thing I tried was to format the drive and reinstall but it still had the same issue.

I suppose it could have been a broken update and the same thing could happen with 8.1 but for now I'm sticking where I am...once bitten twice shy and all that :)

SONAR Platypus on Win10 64bit.
Studio One Pro / Cubase Pro 9.5...just in case.
8GB i7-2600 3.4GHz Gigabyte  Z68XP-UD3P
Geforce GTX970
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen
Prophet 12/Rev 2/Virus Snow
Zebra2/DIVA/NI Komplete 10
Tom Riggs
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1752
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 20:04:37 (permalink)
wetdentist
so are people happy with the free Windows 10, the one whose updates you can't control?
did you have to do a clean install, or the other quicker easier install?

If you have the pro version you can control the updates although MS does not make it particularly easy to do it.

The most obvious thing for me was to disable the drivers updates. I generally left the security updates automatically update. There are tools that will help you make the changes to the registry that allow you to control when the updates download and install. So much of the forced updates can be controlled if you wish.

I am running it on my laptop but have not installed it on my DAW yet.

i7-3770k OC at 4.5Ghz, asus p8z77-m, 16g g.skill aries 1600 c9 ram, Noctua d-14 cooler, RME HDSPe Raydat, Motu FastLane, Nvidea GTX 980 ti 6G, windows 7 and 8.1 pro x64. Sonar Platinum and x3e currently installed

My Music 
My YouTube

Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 20:21:16 (permalink)

Won't doing a clean install also clean up a possibly very messy registry ?  I don't think I'd want my w10 to inherit all the dross I've accumulated over the years from running w7, and uninstalling programs that don't clean up when they leave.

My problem is that I absolutely hate the plain square windows in w10.  Since that is what I stare at all day long, I just can't bring myself to update.  And I don't trust Microsoft to not turn my OS into a store full of ads.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
kennywtelejazz
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 22:28:32 (permalink)
JonD
kennywtelejazz

@Jon D

have a good one ,

Kenny

Just saying  .....

Um, I've read your post twice and still have no idea what you're saying.  All I said was 8.1 is known to be solid for the vast majority of people.  You were on 8.0 and if you couldn't be bothered to try the update, that's fine.

Not trying to convince you to revert (if that's what you're thinking).

But hey, you're happy, so whatever.

What I am saying in plain simple English is this ...

I had no reliability issues what so ever in Win 8.0 ...I did not like the OS .

I'm not alone in that feeling. There are people in this very thread and all throughout the whole Cakewalk community that are still using Win 7 . Many of them have absolutely no desire whatsoever to use Win 8 .1 .

Whats not to understand ?

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2016/01/14 22:43:20

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/14 22:40:34 (permalink)
FWIW, I tried 8.1 (never went through 8) and like Kenny, didn't like the OS itself (the Metro/Desktop dichotomy drove me nuts) so I went back to 7. OTOH I took an immediate liking to W10, it felt comfortable.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
ChristopherM
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1921
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/15 04:56:40 (permalink)
Once I had added Classic Start Menu to Windows 8 (then 8.1), I found it to be an excellent OS - that is, reliable and largely unobtrusive. Win 10 (again with Classic Start Menu) seems almost indistinguishable to me in terms of performance. What has changed is that Windows 10 is a control freak. It is invariably unnecessarily complicated to tweak/diagnose/find anything to do with the workings of the OS, and the forced updates thing is unnerving (especially when it interferes with hardware - it relentlessly uninstalled an Intel graphics driver update that I had applied, for instance). Despite my efforts to stop it, the PC wakes up during the night (something that also occurred by default with 8, but was straightforward to prevent). When told to hibernate, the PC immediately reawakens from hibernation and must be asked to hibernate again before it will go away. Help and Support is practically non-existent - most of the built-in links to MS's on-line support are broken in one way or another - and third-party support via forums and so on is too often characterised by ignorance, superstition and fumbling around. This last comment is not a swipe at the well-intentioned folk who try to help, but rather at the support void that MS has created. And the added-value innovations like Cortana are so annoying that I have generally disabled all of them.

Other than that, Windows 10 is a technological marvel.
JonD
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/15 10:26:04 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz

I'm not alone in that feeling. There are people in this very thread and all throughout the whole Cakewalk community that are still using Win 7 . Many of them have absolutely no desire whatsoever to use Win 8 .1 .

Kenny

Ouch.  Fair enough.  I missed the part about you not liking the OS (. 

kennywtelejazz
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/16 03:26:07 (permalink)
JonD
kennywtelejazz

Kenny

Ouch.  Fair enough.  I missed the part about you not liking the OS (. 

Hello JonD ,

As far as I'm concerned it's all good . There is accord between Us .  We are in Harmony .

all the best ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1