Helpful ReplyShould I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
2016/01/12 14:12:21 (permalink)

Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10?

I got Win 8.1 Pro about 6 months ago and I've been getting the free upgrade to win 10 offer.  So I wouldn't
be buying a new Win 10 key. From what I was told in a computer forum, I’ll be able to use a dual
boot system with Win 8 and Win 10 and not have to be stopped every time I boot to a different OS.

If I upgraded I assume that I’d run into all sorts of problems, which is expected with a new OS and I’d need to run a dual boot system for a while until I got Win 10 working as well as Win 8.1 Pro. Has anyone done this? Are there any unexpected problems with this dual boot scenario? Any fans of Win 10 here?

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/12 15:25:42 (permalink)
Well, your license for the free upgrade will not be valid with your previous version (the one you upgrade from) installed on another computer or on the same computer in a dual boot setup. The theory is that the upgrade cancels the version copy from which it was upgraded. I really do not know how or if Microsoft is enforcing that on a home user machine. Also, if you bought the retail full version of Win8 you could legally move it to another machine, but once upgraded with the free upgrade, your Win10 will be locked to your current machine and cannot be moved.
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/12 15:41:46 (permalink)
I agree, from what I've read once you upgrade, unless you fall back within 30 days, you no longer have the old OS license.

If ALL your hardware and software is Win 10 compatible (and if it is Win 8.1 it should be) then Win 10 is a viable option.  There are several threads on this forum about it and mostly (almost all) positive. 

On my Roland Octa-Capture I went from 6ms Latency (best I could get reliably) on Win 7/8.1 to 4ms (reliable) with Win 10.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
gmp
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/12 15:47:10 (permalink)
slartabartfast
Well, your license for the free upgrade will not be valid with your previous version (the one you upgrade from) installed on another computer or on the same computer in a dual boot setup. The theory is that the upgrade cancels the version copy from which it was upgraded. I really do not know how or if Microsoft is enforcing that on a home user machine. Also, if you bought the retail full version of Win8 you could legally move it to another machine, but once upgraded with the free upgrade, your Win10 will be locked to your current machine and cannot be moved.

Are you saying if I do this upgrade, I can't deactivate it's license and then put Win 10 on one of my other computers and reactivate the license? If so this is different from the past

In the other forum a guy said: 
"You can still dual boot and use both OS's until you settle in to 10. Legally, you are supposed to get a second license to dual boot, but no one actually does, as there is no practical barrier to dual booting with the upgrade."

So this is exactly why I'm asking here if anyone has done this. I want to know if does indeed work this way with no ramifications or unexpected problems.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
Mesh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/12 16:30:04 (permalink)
As firebird said, make sure all your hardware has good driver support (if they worked well in Win 8, they should work better in Win 10). I made the free upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 (about 6 months now) and found it to be more snappier/responsive......and most of all.....no issues.

Good luck!!

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/12 18:11:21 (permalink)
gmp
slartabartfast

Are you saying if I do this upgrade, I can't deactivate it's license and then put Win 10 on one of my other computers and reactivate the license? If so this is different from the past

"You can still dual boot and use both OS's until you settle in to 10. Legally, you are supposed to get a second license to dual boot, but no one actually does, as there is no practical barrier to dual booting with the upgrade."

So this is exactly why I'm asking here if anyone has done this. I want to know if does indeed work this way with no ramifications or unexpected problems.

I wouldn't bet the farm on that. It is an upgrade. BTW check and see if your W8 is an OEM. Upgrading a motherboard or CPU will require a new license in W10 if it is an OEM.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
slartabartfast
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/12 19:20:49 (permalink)
kitekrazy1
It is an upgrade. BTW check and see if your W8 is an OEM. Upgrading a motherboard or CPU will require a new license in W10 if it is an OEM.

It is my understanding that regardless of the original version that you base the upgrade on, the upgrade itself is non-transferrable to a new machine. The activation robot will probably see a new MB or CPU as a new machine and refuse to activate the new installation. If you need to repair or replace a core component, then you may be able to get a telephone support agent to let you activate the Win 10 upgrade on the altered machine. But the point of upgrading a MB is that you do not have the same machine, you have a new machine using some of the old components, and there is no guarantee that will be considered a repair by telephone support. If you put a new Gigabyte retail motherboard in your Dell computer case, then it is easy to see that it is not a Dell machine anymore, so more likely that you will be denied. But if you exchange a Gigabyte MB for an Asus MB or even a different model by the same manufacturer an astute telephone service rep may deny you activation regardless of whether you upgraded from an OEM (non-transferrable license) or retail (transferrable license) on the original MB. The fact that Microsoft has a history of being pretty generous with telephone activations does not guarantee that you will not be required to buy a new license. In any event, the new copy of Win 10 can not be moved to a new computer altogether.

Sidroe
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1954
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/12 19:23:25 (permalink)
My experience has been more than positive upgrading to windows 10 from 8.1!! I can't speak for your machine but I upgraded an Asus desktop with 7 on it and a Toshiba Satellite laptop with 8.1 on it and they both have not given me one bit of problem. Neither one of them has ever run as good as they do on 10. 10 does take some getting used to but the upgrade is pretty painless, takes a while but the whole download and install process is around 3 gigs.
It really is the best thing I have done since I started computer jockeying! Like the man said, just make sure you have any drivers that you may need for hardware that was not included in 10. Other than that, I would jump on it NOW!

Sonar Platinum, Sonar X3e, Sonar X2a , Sonar X1 Expanded and 8.5.3 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 10 on a Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop with i7 @ 2.4 quad and 8 gigs of RAM and secondary WD 1 Tb drive, Windows 10 desktop, Asus i5 @ 3.2 quad, 12 gigs RAM, 1 Tb drive, 1 500 gig drive, MOTU 24io, 2 Roland Studio Captures, Saffire 6 USB for laptop, Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer, Alesis Monitor 2s, Event BAS 20/20s, Roland Micro-Monitor BA-8s, and 45 years worth of collecting FX, Mics, Amps, Guitars, and Keyboards!
slartabartfast
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/12 19:48:29 (permalink)
gmp

That is exactly what I am saying. You cannot, within the terms of the license, deactivate and move your free upgrade version to another computer other than the one on which it was finally installed. There have been comments that you will be able to do that within the period of the free upgrade i.e. until July 29, 2016, but I have not been able to find why people believe that. In any case no one is saying that you can move the Win 10 free upgrade copy once the installation has been considered final.  Final might be either a month after initial installation when rollback is no longer possible, or at the end of the free upgrade period. Whether you can do that without having your installation stop working is another question altogether. Before Windows XP and the activation system, you could install Windows versions on multiple computers (illegally) and they would still work normally. Retail/full versions of Windows since then have required that you activate them and only allowed a single activation per copy so that you could move full retail copies to another computer if you wanted so long as you did not have two computers with that copy activated at once. That had some robotic enforcement as anyone who has struggled with activation error 0xC004C008 will attest. Understand that if you follow the normal activation path (or the newer activation via a qualifying version product code), the Microsoft robot will have your unique product/activation key that identifies the copy of Windows 7 or 8 used to get the upgrade, and the hardware hash that identifies the particular machine that qualifies. If you try to use the original product key on another computer it is technically possible to detect that mismatch and legally defensible to disable one of your illicit copies, and require you to pay for an additional copy or refuse activation. Whether Microsoft will do so is a gamble. I too would be interested in hearing reports about whether or not this workaround/piracy is working. But even if it is currently working, I would be reluctant to gamble that it will in perpetuity. 

post edited by slartabartfast - 2016/01/12 20:03:45
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/12 20:11:40 (permalink)
Hhhmmm , very interesting thread with all the legal aspects ...
After picking up a Win 10 computer w W10 as the pre installed OS I much prefer Windows 10 to all the other versions of Windows I've used so far .SONAR runs great on it .
Yet, I'm still siting on the fence about upgrading my Win 8 computer over to Win 10 ...
the thought of having to go to Win 8.1 first and then doing the upgrade has me concerned about having to reauthorize a bunch of software only to have to do it all over again for Win 10 
thankfully there is still time left ...

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

gmp
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/12 20:14:20 (permalink)
Ok I can see that I can't move my Win 10 upgrade to a new computer or even a new motherboard, etc. I understand that and can deal with that. I still don't feel like I have a definitive answer on the first question I asked about making the transition from Win 8 to Win 10.

I absolutely can't have clients in recording, if things are unstable using Win 10. I fully expect it to be a process, getting all these parts working together correctly. What I'd like to do is use a dual boot system with Win 8 and Win 10 even if it's just a month.

Is anyone sure about if there is a period that I can do a rollback to Win 8 or if I can run a dual boot system temporarily to make it through the transition? How would the rollback work?  It would be nice if I’ll be able to use a dual boot system with Win 8 and Win 10 and not have to be stopped every time I boot to a different OS. Thanks for all the great info so far.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
gmp
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/12 20:39:09 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
After picking up a Win 10 computer w W10 as the pre installed OS I much prefer Windows 10 to all the other versions of Windows I've used so far .SONAR runs great on it .
Yet, I'm still siting on the fence about upgrading my Win 8 computer over to Win 10 ...
the thought of having to go to Win 8.1 first and then doing the upgrade has me concerned about having to reauthorize a bunch of software only to have to do it all over again for Win 10 

Kenny

All this reauthorization stuff is also something I'm wondering about. Will some see me running a dual boot system with 2 different OS as 2 different computers and want me to buy the software or whatever for both OS? I've run a dual boot system with Win 7 and XP and that was easy - never any problems. But I wonder what kind of strange things I may run into if any with a dual boot Win 8 and Win 10 system.

So when you say time left, are you referring to a 7/29/16 date it seems someone has stated? If so that's good to have time to consider all the hoops I may have to jump through.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/12 20:51:41 (permalink)
Based on past OS update experiences, I was terrified of updating to Windows 10 (and still am about El Capitan, but that's a different story).

Then one day in a fit of insanity, or perhaps overconfidence, or maybe one of the nice ladies next door put something in my drink, I just said "screw it" and did the update from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I knew I could roll back within 30 days, so I figured if all else failed...

Bottom line: I did an in-place upgrade (didn't wipe the hard drive and start over). Easiest OS upgrade ever, Windows or Mac. No issues. Everything...just worked. It's snappier, and SONAR runs like a rocket (although that may be more about the recent optimizations than Windows).

Of course now that I've said that, I'm sure people will chime in with horror stories. But I was shocked that there were no issues (not even "no significant issues"), and I love many of the new features, which I'm still discovering.

Updated my laptop too. Yesterday I realized I would never want to go back to 7, and deleted the backup files to gain more space.

P.S. Actually, now that I think about it there was one issue. When I booted SONAR for the first time, Windows asked if I wanted to re-install the TASCAM US-20x20 drivers. I said yes. They re-installed. Good to go.
P.P.S. The V-Studio won't work under Windows 10 unless you make some changes to a text file. But I put the responsibility for that on Roland, who keyed the software to specific operating systems.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
gmp
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/12 22:41:49 (permalink)
Anderton
Based on past OS update experiences, I was terrified of updating to Windows 10 (and still am about El Capitan, but that's a different story).

Then one day in a fit of insanity, or perhaps overconfidence, or maybe one of the nice ladies next door put something in my drink, I just said "screw it" and did the update from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I knew I could roll back within 30 days, so I figured if all else failed...

Bottom line: I did an in-place upgrade (didn't wipe the hard drive and start over). Easiest OS upgrade ever, Windows or Mac. No issues. Everything...just worked. It's snappier, and SONAR runs like a rocket (although that may be more about the recent optimizations than Windows).

Of course now that I've said that, I'm sure people will chime in with horror stories. But I was shocked that there were no issues (not even "no significant issues"), and I love many of the new features, which I'm still discovering.

Updated my laptop too. Yesterday I realized I would never want to go back to 7, and deleted the backup files to gain more space.

P.S. Actually, now that I think about it there was one issue. When I booted SONAR for the first time, Windows asked if I wanted to re-install the TASCAM US-20x20 drivers. I said yes. They re-installed. Good to go.
P.P.S. The V-Studio won't work under Windows 10 unless you make some changes to a text file. But I put the responsibility for that on Roland, who keyed the software to specific operating systems.

Thanks Craig for sharing your experience and yes the in-place upgrade sounds like it takes a lot of the sting out of it. Did you need to check out something out and went back to Win 8 to  with either a dual boot system or restoring an image file during this transition?

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
kennywtelejazz
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/12 22:51:52 (permalink)
gmp
kennywtelejazz

Kenny

All this reauthorization stuff is also something I'm wondering about. Will some see me running a dual boot system with 2 different OS as 2 different computers and want me to buy the software or whatever for both OS? I've run a dual boot system with Win 7 and XP and that was easy - never any problems. But I wonder what kind of strange things I may run into if any with a dual boot Win 8 and Win 10 system.

So when you say time left, are you referring to a 7/29/16 date it seems someone has stated? If so that's good to have time to consider all the hoops I may have to jump through.

Yes , a large part of my concern is all the re-authorization hoops I may have to go through with all the non Cakewalk software I use ...It has been my experience that not everybody is as generous as Cakewalk is .

Another fully featured highly regarded DAW that I use occasionally had a corrupted download installer as my purchased product  .
To make a long story short , after having a back and forth session w tech support in Germany I had to make it very clear to the company support tech that after burning through all 3 of my activation's on one computer ( the same computer ) while still not having the program installed correctly due to no fault of my own , that once we have the software installed and functioning correctly  ..
It is only then we can count that as my first activation ...
The tech support guy I dealt with understood , he wound up sending me an 8 Gig ISO w a brand new serial number ...
It took almost two full weeks of back and forth to make that happen .He was sure happy to be done with me
It's all good , but I don't want to have to burn through the same serial number all over again  and loose one more activation of that software if I am using the same software on the same computer with a new upgraded WIN OS  .
Now if I ever decided to boot camp one of my Mac's , it's a given

Honestly don't know what to tell you about the dual boot thing ...Win 8 .1 & Win 10...on the same computer..
I can tell you that my Win 10 machine has 2 GIG s less Ram and that it is a bit lower spec than my Win 8 computer Yet while running SONAR it smokes my Win 8 machine running the same exact SONAR projects ...

I can't wait to say good riddance to Windows 8
I'm just cautious and I hate the idea that I will have to go from 8 to 8.1 first before landing on Win 10 ..
Yeah , that's why I mentioned I still have time to figure it out  ....7/ 29 /16 ..

Good luck and all the best to you in what you decide to do ,

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2016/01/12 23:06:05

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

microapp
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 653
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/12 23:01:17 (permalink)
Kenny,
Support for win 8.0 has ended.
http://techcrunch.com/201...-of-internet-explorer/

Sonar Platinum, Cubase Pro 8.5, Reaper 5, Studio One 2
Melodyne Studio 4, Finale 2012
I7-5820K 4.5GHz, 32 GB DDR4-2800,3 monitors,Win 10 Pro
Toshiba P75-A7100,l7-4900 2.4 Ghz/8MB Win 8.1 Pro
Tascam FW-1884, Emu 0404USB, CMC-AI,Axiom 61
Yamaha HS-50's, Sony SA-W2500, Sennheiser RS170's, ATH-M50
Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
Jackson DK2-S(Sustainiac),Les Paul Custom
Digitech Valve-FX, GFX-1,TSR-24,RP-90
microapp
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/12 23:07:15 (permalink)
Kenny,
You should be able to clean install Win 10 over win 8.0.
Just use the key from win 8.0.
I think they added this possibility in Nov update.
Then again since 8.0 is not supported, I would just bite the bullet and update to 8.1.
I did this on a couple of machines and it was flawless and fairly quick.
Then you could keep all your auths from other 3rd parties when you move to 10 (hopefully anyway).
Myself , I like the clean install but may try update in place from 8.1 to 10 on my DAW.
Can you say or hint at what program was such a pain to re-auth? I would like to know so I don't buy it.

post edited by microapp - 2016/01/12 23:50:42

Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
microapp
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/12 23:46:56 (permalink)
Craig,
Did the machine you upgraded to win 10 have multiple disks ?
I have separate OS, sample and data drives.
Was this PC also your Cubase machine ?

Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/13 01:03:06 (permalink)
 Retail license allows you to move to a different machine, change hardware, ect.  If you have a previous W7,W8 Retail license your Windows 10 will be a retail license.
 If you have an OEM you will have to buy a new license every time you change MB and CPU.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
kennywtelejazz
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/13 02:19:24 (permalink)
microapp
Kenny,
Support for win 8.0 has ended.
http://techcrunch.com/201...-of-internet-explorer/

W T Heck ?

Hey microapp , thank you for pointing that out to me  I honestly had no idea ....

The last line in that article is such a crock of BS 

"Windows 8 is still running on 2-3 percent of PCs, or 30-40 million devices. By forcing customers’ hands by ending support for older versions, Microsoft is encouraging those users to finally ditch their outdated software. "

Yeah Right Microsoft .
I bought my Win 8 64 bit computer Brand Spanking New in October less than 2 and half years ago just to be able to run SONAR X 3 PE ...
My Win 8  computer spent most of it life offline sitting in a kitchen drawer because I thought that placing this computer in a kitchen drawer unused was a much more compassionate fate for this computer than what I really wanted to do to it 

Sheesh , I packed both my Mac's away so I can focus on learning SONAR SPlat VIA my Win 10 Laptop ...
After reading that I'm seriously considering unpacking them bad boys and going back to OSX full time ....
The only thing stopping me from going back there is  I made a personal commitment to learning my way around SONAR
I've been half a$$ing it for way too long & I really do Love using Splat In it's current state , it's the SONAR I've always wanted.

microapp
Kenny,
You should be able to clean install Win 10 over win 8.0.
Just use the key from win 8.0.
I think they added this possibility in Nov update.
Then again since 8.0 is not supported, I would just bite the bullet and update to 8.1.
I did this on a couple of machines and it was flawless and fairly quick.
Then you could keep all your auths from other 3rd parties when you move to 10 (hopefully anyway).
Myself , I like the clean install but may try update in place from 8.1 to 10 on my DAW.
Can you say or hint at what program was such a pain to re-auth? I would like to know so I don't buy it.

Once again thank you microapp for the info
I do happen to like Win 10 a lot actually . Much more than I thought I would .
As I mentioned before , my primary concern is the added schlep of having to do the upgrade to 8.1 first before being able to upgrade to Win 10  ...
I have no idea what I may loose in that transition to 8.1 ( regarding having to reauthorize ... the same goes for 10..)
Twice the concern unless I just go dirty and not even open up anything in 8.1 , hope for the best and jump to 10 by doing an in place upgrade ...
If i didn't have to do that first I would pull the trigger and do an in place upgrade from Win 8 ...to Win 10 ..right now ...tonight ...
I honestly don't care all that much about having to reauthorize anything from Cakewalk , IK , PG Music , Harrison , XLN , Abelton , Overloud , NI, Melodyne , Sony  or any other number of 3rd party software vendors  ...
I don't want to have to burn a serial number just for Samplitude Pro X 2 , the full version of Vandal and a few other doodads I bought from Magix .....
They burned me real good with the 3 activation rule they have in place when I was using XP a number of years ago ...

I haven't forgotten ....

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2016/01/13 03:06:04

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/13 02:53:38 (permalink)
Bunch of us have moved to win 10...with no problems, it works better... And the latest SPlt had a bunch of improvements with speed inn w10...

In the time you've been typing and running in circles here you could have installed it, tried it and if you have ANY problems, rolled back all ready.

I just don't get it...
post edited by Vastman - 2016/01/13 03:09:08

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
kennywtelejazz
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/13 02:58:35 (permalink)
Vastman
Bunch of us have moved to win 10...with no problems, it works better... And the latest SPlt had a bunch of improvements with speed inn w10...

In the time you've been typing and running in circles here you could have installed it, tried it and if you have ANY problems, rolled back all ready.

I just don't get it...

Who may you be talking to Sport ?

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

slartabartfast
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/13 06:25:24 (permalink)
kitekrazy1
 Retail license allows you to move to a different machine, change hardware, ect.  If you have a previous W7,W8 Retail license your Windows 10 will be a retail license.
 If you have an OEM you will have to buy a new license every time you change MB and CPU.

That looks to be correct, although there are also tech journalists who have stated that the wording of statements that the upgrade is locked to the computer that it was originally installed on supersede the idea that the license rights conferred on the previous version are transferred to the new Win10 upgrade version. How many iterations of a retail version you can go back is a little vague. If you installed an XP upgrade on a full retail Win2K machine, then moved that to a new machine on the basis that it had inherited transfer rights from Win2K, then upgraded the new machine to Win7 upgrade then to Win 10 do you still inherit transfer rights? Win 7 OEM has been the only non-retail version of Windows  that explicitly licensed a "system builder," i.e. someone who assembles his own machine for personal use rather than sale, to transfer his copy to another machine. Windows 8 does not license the OEM version to be used by such systems builders at all, so finding a right to transfer is problematic, and those built by Windows distributors are locked to the machine they are sold with. Windows 8 licensing removed that "system builder" license again. So is a Win7 OEM installed on a machine you built yourself upgraded to Win10 movable, but a Win 8 copy in the same situation tied to the machine? Perhaps the difficulty of working out niggling like this explains why so many people have had questionable activations approved by Microsoft phone support.

In any event, you will probably have to deal by phone with MS in the event that you move your copy to a new machine, as the activation robot will assume it is the same copy being installed on a second machine. Without a product key, the usual method of deactivating or removing the product key  from your old installation is problematic.
petec
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 43
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/13 08:48:51 (permalink)
Although nobody seems to have mentioned it, would I be correct in assuming all you guys that have upgraded to Win10 successfully have done so after doing a full backup of your system?

Or did you jump straight in and treat Win10 as a usual (if lengthy) windows update? Is it that reliable/safe?

Cakewalk by BandLab, Win 10 x64, i7, 8Gb Ram, Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40, Mackie Control Universal/XT/C4, Mackie HRmk2 Monitors
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/13 09:00:23 (permalink)
I do regular full hard drive backups with Macrium Reflect.  When I did my upgrade of my production system I had a full back up of Win 8.1 to fall back on, if needed.  However, I'm in the "insider program" and had been using preview (pre release/beta versions) for almost a year and was already into Win 10. 

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
Sidroe
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1954
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/13 09:29:43 (permalink)
Honestly, the only glitches I had updating to 10 was my Addictive Drums 2 had to be re-verified. All I had to do was run the XLN Installer program and it re-verified immediately. This also happened when I upgraded to the 1151 Build.  I, too, opted for the in place installment. The guy is right about upgrade to 10, don't like it, rollback.

Sonar Platinum, Sonar X3e, Sonar X2a , Sonar X1 Expanded and 8.5.3 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 10 on a Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop with i7 @ 2.4 quad and 8 gigs of RAM and secondary WD 1 Tb drive, Windows 10 desktop, Asus i5 @ 3.2 quad, 12 gigs RAM, 1 Tb drive, 1 500 gig drive, MOTU 24io, 2 Roland Studio Captures, Saffire 6 USB for laptop, Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer, Alesis Monitor 2s, Event BAS 20/20s, Roland Micro-Monitor BA-8s, and 45 years worth of collecting FX, Mics, Amps, Guitars, and Keyboards!
joel77
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 489
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/13 10:00:07 (permalink)
Can one still roll back? I was under the impression that ended late last year.

Joel  Glaser
Studio 52     

God Bless America
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sonar x64, Win 7 Pro, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 
Intel i7-930 2.86GHz dual quad core, 12GB Corsair DDL3,
Asus ATI Radion HD 4350, WD 500 GB SATA, 
Dual WD 1TB SATA HDs, ME RayDAT, Alesis HD24XR - A/D-D/A

https://www.facebook.com/...dio-52/811309178917929
www.thebrothersglaser.com
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/13 10:52:47 (permalink)
The only issue I had was having to reauthorize Addictive Drums (easy) and Independence Pro (still have not got that sorted, support ticket for extra authorizations unanswered. I need to follow up).

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
kzmaier
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/13 12:48:40 (permalink)
I would suspect moving forward with Sonar, rolling updates, we would be better off moving to win 10.  I would expect the new os to get the most test and development attention.

Best Regards,
Ken
Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

gmp
Re: Should I do a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? 2016/01/13 20:24:28 (permalink)
It seems that when Cakewalk started talking about the yearly subscription they said that many software companies were going to that, even MS with their OS. At that time I thought that Win 10 was a yearly subscription service, not a one time fee, like all the other versions. This is one of the reasons I steered clear of Win 10.

Since so many in this thread know so much about Win 10 and MS, can some of you chime in on this please? First of all I think I'm wrong about Win 10 being a yearly subscription service. Is that right?

And secondly what have you heard in regard to this? I realize there can always be unfounded rumors and conspiracy theories out there also. I just want to straight facts if MS is going in this direction. Someone even said that Win 10 is the last OS and from then it will be a cloud sort of subscription service with the Apps not even being on our HDs - now this one sounds pretty scary and I certainly hope this is unfounded. Actually with all this free upgrade offers even from Win 7, it does make one wonder if MS is going to surprise us in a not so nice way.

Thanks for all the info in this thread already.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1