Slaying the Medusa (Updated VOX)

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
foxwolfen
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8256
2008/06/02 22:41:08 (permalink)

Slaying the Medusa (Updated VOX)

Part three in the continuing saga of Sinbad. This one can only be described as Abstract Art.

I made this for a couple of reasons. One because it was a blast to do. And two because a thread with Janet prompted me to look at one of the things a single synth patch can do.

This song is left with all the mistakes made - its played live from one arp of 4 notes that never changes. All the various changes in the music are due only to changes to the controls of the single synth patch by having them mapped to my controller. In this case the patch is again Kore, using the Lost in Trees patch.

The drums are not a loop, they were played on the pads on the keyboard and were played live all the way through. The mistakes from them are left in as well. They use a Kit from Kore as well.

This was all done real time in one take.

The vocals were accomplished with the use of about 6 effects. I thank AsherLongly (Matthew) for providing the inspiration for doing something different)

Slaying The Medusa
post edited by foxwolfen - 2008/06/06 18:33:10

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum

60 Replies Related Threads

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Slaying the Medusa 2008/06/02 23:00:57 (permalink)
    The difference between this and the first version of Groove Thang when you posted that is incredible.

An immense amount of sonic mastery has taken place in a really short space of time.

The sounds on this are top notch.

Is that the free Kore player you're using or the full monty?

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    RE: Slaying the Medusa 2008/06/02 23:35:14 (permalink)
    Perseus killed the Medusa...Right

Sinbad killed the Cyclops.

Regardless, it is always nice to hear something new and different.

Weird but cool

After Medusa is down, a last dissonant chord might be neat as well.

Ron
    rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    RE: Slaying the Medusa 2008/06/03 00:28:33 (permalink)
    Shad, You took that inspiration and made it your own strange thing. The matter of fact tone of your reporter. That was wierd in a shantner doing rocket man kinda way. I give credit for throwing a big curveball with this evolving piece. Also again you seem to record your stuff really well.

Rhyno
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Slaying the Medusa 2008/06/03 00:43:01 (permalink)
    Well this is "different". I enjoyed the drums. That voice was getting on my nerves.. I kept hoping it would stop! but it didn't!! it went on and on! And I'm like, ok, ok, OK! STOP!! (it just stopped :-) but so did the song?

It seemed like this was building, as an intro would? and getting ready to break in to a song? But then it ended.

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    foxwolfen
    RE: Slaying the Medusa 2008/06/03 01:11:36 (permalink)
    Jon - Free Kore Player

Ron - I am calling it Artistic License. I know Perseus slew Medusa, and I know Medusa was made that way by Athena

Rhyno - Strange it is... WRT the Reporter ... I am glad you saw the dead pan style as that was what I hoped for. It was (I hope) in contrast to the drama of the percussion behind. Thanks for the comment about the curve ball - Things are going well with this (though I know that few will "enjoy" this piece).

Robby - I have uploaded a "voice free" version for you. I have to admit I have been thinking about paring back the dialog some. It was kinda more interesting when it stopped about halfway through. Maybe it can be arranged in such a manner as to still tell the story and add punctuation with out over filling it so much.

As for it stopping - yes it did. *trows back his head and cackles in insane glee*
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2008/06/03 01:42:26

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    RE: Slaying the Medusa 2008/06/03 01:19:11 (permalink)
    Perseus killed the Medusa...Right

Sinbad killed the Cyclops.

Shad, You know if you don't get your mythylogical creatures right this piece will never work. I read this and fell over. lol. You guys are absolutley killing me.
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Slaying the Medusa 2008/06/03 10:16:33 (permalink)
    No! Don't kill the 'snake-lady' Shad! Step away from the mirror!! Yeah, I like weird stuff and I love hearing all your mistakes!! I think you've invented a new sport by having the narrator in the box office...ESPN? I enjoyed this. The music and storyline synched together and you could feel the tension build, right down to the slaying and cutting the head off.....

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    foxwolfen
    RE: Slaying the Medusa 2008/06/03 14:02:34 (permalink)
    LOL

Sadly all the subtle nuance (like the deep cavernous sound to the vox) seemed to have been lost when encoding the MP3.

In the light of a new day, I think I will make a pared back version of the vocals. Make it more like what one might expect. I had a hoot making them, but overall I have to agree with Robby that they are just too much. I think the tune carries a lot of drama on its own (mistakes aside) and some little snippets here and there might make it better (while hiding the mistakes heheheh).

I like this song a lot actually and it may be worth going back and redoing it so it is mistake free without, I hope, killing the drama.

Cheers
    Shad
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2008/06/03 14:24:02

Composers Forum
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Slaying the Medusa 2008/06/03 14:36:23 (permalink)
    loved the drums on this, shad! really good clarity and love that boom. nice verb on them, too. really like the synth sounds in this it gives it a great feeling for music - helps to ride the wave of emotion in what's going on.

hate the processed narration myself, not too fond of the bouncing stereo FX on the vox, either. but that's just my opinon. i'm sure it's what you were after, so ignore my comments!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    rockyrose
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Slaying the Medusa 2008/06/03 14:48:59 (permalink)
    This was interesting, very creative with the perfect ambiance . I dont know why but the keyboard line underneath made me think of the old Halloween theme. Very cool!
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    RE: Slaying the Medusa 2008/06/03 16:24:41 (permalink)
    Loved the way you explored on this peice!....way way out...but in a good good way!

cool!!
    foxwolfen
    RE: Slaying the Medusa (Updated VOX) 2008/06/03 20:31:22 (permalink)
    Beagle - You don't like my voice? Between my dog, Robby and you, I am really getting a complex. Just imagine how bad it would be if I sang - in all seriousness, I agree and have changed them

Rockyrose - I was thinking it was either The Omen, The Exorcist, Friday the 13th, or Halloween. Was not sure which one.

Tom - Thanks man, it was a blast to do (I was laughing so much doing the original vocal track it was hard to do).

I have redone the VOX to be a lot more minimalist. I think it hides the mistakes pretty good (or compliments them) and allows the tension to build implicitly as opposed to explicitly. As always thanks to the kind feedback, from everybody, I think this is much improved.

New Version
    Slaying The Medusa
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2008/06/03 20:51:42

Composers Forum
    Beagle
    RE: Slaying the Medusa (Updated VOX) 2008/06/03 20:38:52 (permalink)
    HEY! WHOA!! That's not what I said at all!!! I said I didn't like the heavy processing on the vox, not the voice itself!!! SheeSH!!!

So this new version doesn't have the narration at all? really, that was not my intent on my comment - I was just saying I thought it would be better with less processing - much closer to natural on the narration.

foxwolfen
    RE: Slaying the Medusa (Updated VOX) 2008/06/03 21:16:31 (permalink)
    Beagle, I was just pulling your leg .

No, there are still some "vocals". This new version is actually what I intended to do originally, but I got a tad carried away.

Composers Forum
    tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: Slaying the Medusa (Updated VOX) 2008/06/03 23:13:26 (permalink)
    Liked the underlying music, but not used to the "10-4 roger that" voice going on.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    Beagle
    RE: Slaying the Medusa (Updated VOX) 2008/06/03 23:21:25 (permalink)

foxwolfen
    RE: Slaying the Medusa (Updated VOX) 2008/06/04 01:20:46 (permalink)
    Hmmm...

Well now I do not know what to do. I know what you mean about the CB radio sound. I was going for an "old movie" sound, but seemed to have not pulled it off very well. I am not using any premade filters, but trying to make a chain of my own that works for that.

I will try a version of the tune with re-recorded vocals (now that I know what I want to say, I can say it better - I over distorted this because you can hear a lot bad pronunciation and I speak way to fast. What I will do is try to both enunciate and talk slowly and rhythmically (then I will try arrhythmical if thats too weird). I will not process the voice so much (I find the recording overly dry so some will have to be done).

Cheers
    Shad

Composers Forum
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Slaying the Medusa (Updated VOX) 2008/06/04 02:47:37 (permalink)
    America is waiting.... Cool, especially if you never heard that before. Love the ambience, and some real real cool sounds, Shad. Very bright/clear everywhere.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m1-Q8ly8iKE

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Beagle
    RE: Slaying the Medusa (Updated VOX) 2008/06/04 09:05:30 (permalink)
    There's a "telephone" EQ preset on the Sonitus Parametric EQ that might be a good starting point for "old radio." you might also want to try to add in some "static" sounds if you're trying for the old radio sound.

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Slaying the Medusa (Updated VOX) 2008/06/04 10:32:58 (permalink)
    hey i liked that Shad
    very atmospheirc, it prompted me to D/L the free KOre player as we speak. great work for live too...you're clearly a talented guy!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    foxwolfen
    RE: Slaying the Medusa (Updated VOX) 2008/06/04 21:00:11 (permalink)
    Rob - That was a cool vid. I had not heard it before, and fortunately, other than being slightly "cacophonic" they are quite different songs ( I was worried I had re-invented the wheel).

Beagle (I wish I knew your name) - Thanks. I know there are premade filters for that sort of thing, but I am the kind of person who likes to make my own. This way I have a clear understanding of the process. I will need to fail at it once or twice before I get it right. I at least know how to make a "CB radio sound" lol.

Mark - Thanks man. I appreciate the kind words.

Cheers
    Shad

Composers Forum
    witch wyzwurd
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 152
    RE: Slaying the Medusa (Updated VOX) 2008/06/04 22:29:43 (permalink)
    Like it. But how would you use it/what would you use it for? An intro to a more common type song? A movie piece? A whole CD of just this type stuff? Talk a poem over it?
    foxwolfen
    RE: Slaying the Medusa (Updated VOX) 2008/06/05 02:50:22 (permalink)
    Well, now there is a question I had not pondered.

I honestly cannot answer that. It "just is", if you know what I mean.

Glad you liked it.

Cheers
    Shad

Composers Forum
    MArwood
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1816
    RE: Slaying the Medusa (Updated VOX) 2008/06/05 03:34:29 (permalink)
    I listened the other day. I like this vocal effect better. What in the world did you do to the vocals! Man, that's something else!

Max Arwood

"Edited spelling"
    New Tag line so I won't have to keep typing this. I may or may not have edited this yet, but I probably need to.

< Message edited by MArwood -- 3/02/2525 3:45:05 AM >
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Slaying the Medusa (Updated VOX) 2008/06/05 14:40:29 (permalink)
    OK, OK, so the vox is better. I still can't hear the snakes hisssssssssssss!!!!!!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Beagle
    RE: Slaying the Medusa (Updated VOX) 2008/06/05 14:48:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: foxwolfen
    Beagle (I wish I knew your name) - Thanks. I know there are premade filters for that sort of thing, but I am the kind of person who likes to make my own. This way I have a clear understanding of the process. I will need to fail at it once or twice before I get it right. I at least know how to make a "CB radio sound" lol.
    Cheers
    Shad

Shad,
    My name is Reece! (it's in my profile if you click on my nick! )

yes, I understand the need to understand how it works. But a lot of times I'll start with a preset and study what the preset does then move on from there.

Just a thought, tho! do what makes learning best for you!

foxwolfen
    RE: Slaying the Medusa (Updated VOX) 2008/06/05 17:47:09 (permalink)
    Max - The vocals were recorded with my AudioTechnica LDC, I then used an amplification filter to max the gain without clipping. From there I then ran a high-pass filter at 1k, then a vocorder filter to give it some squelch. After that it was treated with a chain of a distortion filter, a panning filter, a compressor set for a wild snare drum, then a stereo enhancer and finally a maximizer. The first version used a bit of chorus and reverb, but I dropped that for this latest version. There is no EQ on the vox (seemed OK as it was).

Larry - You are a genius! Why did I not think of that!!! That is a great idea, and should prove in interesting experiment in sonic design. I have to winder how well Sophie will take being asked to play Medusa LOL!

Reese - Sometimes I can be rather thick. I do not know why I did not click your profile... Yeah, thats actually how I first got started. I did a voice similar to this for one of my short films. The problem is I did not like the built in effects that much so wanted to try to make something I liked more using the basic tools that the pre-made ones are built upon. For brevity, I may just use a pre-built in the future.

Thanks for listening Guys.

Cheers
    Shad
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2008/06/05 19:50:30

Composers Forum
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Slaying the Medusa (Updated VOX) 2008/06/05 19:15:10 (permalink)
    Yes, the vocals don't hurt my head anymore. I notice a big difference. An lot of reverb on those drums?

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    foxwolfen
    RE: Slaying the Medusa (Updated VOX) 2008/06/05 19:44:09 (permalink)
    There are two identical drum tracks.

I bounced the main one, and then offset the audio track by a few MS (leading). On the plain midi one, I used the "ambient" preset in the CW stock reverb. On the bounced audio track there is a mild chorus on them.

I find digital reverb sounds like the drums are in a large steel pipe. One of these days I will pick myself up an analog fx kit.

Composers Forum
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1