Helpful ReplySo . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/10/09 22:33:25 (permalink)
JerryLan3 . . . a Staff View plugin ? Never heard of it. Don't think that's been done yet.
Sorry I don't know where you can get such documentation, but kudos to you if you can pull it off.
Hopefully you will make it work seamlessly inside Sonar Xwhatever.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/10/09 22:41:37 (permalink)
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]
There were no changes to the Staff View. Focus was on stability, workflow, and technology like VST and ARA.

Why has Cakewalk ignored the staff view for decades?

mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/10/09 22:54:22 (permalink)
It would have to be a MFX ie MIDI plugin not a VST plugin as VST takes MIDI data and converts to audio via a plugin.

MFX manipulates MIDI data.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/10/09 23:01:24 (permalink)
Jimbo 88
Guitarpima
I use the SV quite a bit as well. I don't think Finale would be integrated into Sonare. Finale is big with academia has it's onw following. On another thread, a baker, I believe, pointed out that to imtegrate another program, like Finale, it would need to have audio outs. Finale does meet that criteria AFAIK. It would be very cool though.

The Ironic thing is we don't want audio out of a notation program,  we want to edit MIDI with it.  I want to edit midi with notation and see a score.

Having said that, X3 is a great update. 

If Staff view was exceptable Sonar would be the greatest piece of software EVER! 

It's not about wanting another audio out. I stated that on another thread a Cake staffer said that the notation program would NEED and audio out. Finale does handle audio or maybe it doesn't. Since it utilizes audio I thought it might but again, that's what the Cake staffer said.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
noynekker
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/10/09 23:01:53 (permalink)
vintagevibe
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]
There were no changes to the Staff View. Focus was on stability, workflow, and technology like VST and ARA.

Multiple choice:

1) The Cake Staff View bakers have moved on
2) They perfected it decades ago
3) No one has made any recent meaningful Staff View feature requests
4) Recent survey of users panned it
5) Not enough Staff View threads on the forum
6) Recent development focus has been on stability, workflow, and technology like VST and ARA
7) Midi editing is so 1990's
8) Coming big time Staff View improvements in Sonar X4 being beta tested now.
9) Most of the above is rubbish

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

vintagevibe
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/10/09 23:25:23 (permalink)
noynekker
vintagevibe
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]

Multiple choice:

6) Recent development focus has been on stability, workflow, and technology like VST and ARA

10) It's deep diving into the code and they have put it off so long they don't think they'll ever get it put back together if they went that deep. 
JerryLan
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/10/09 23:27:24 (permalink)
OK, I have recovered my original login ID.  I am JerryLan3.
I really appreciate the guidance here toward achieving the goal which it seams many are hoping for.
People have mentioned Finale.  I have used finale as well for many years and it has only helped me for charting, and never without having to explain how some repeat sign didn't come out right, or something.  In short it is disappointing.

There is no way that finale can achieve what I am looking for.

Truly I had it the closest when I used Pro-Audio 9 many years ago.  I could quickly choose note durations, move them slightly by right clicking and change note values.  The only thing I couldn't do was join a set of notes as a group changing the pitch by pitch wheel instead of note value, thus avoiding attack events.
noynekker
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/10/09 23:32:27 (permalink)
Ha ! Like it.

Sounds like it would be expensive, for Cakewalk, and for us.

jeebustrain
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 139
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/10/10 00:26:07 (permalink)
The only thing that I personally feel that staff view is lacking is the ability to draw tuplets other than duplets or triplets. I would love the ability to be able to notate quintuplets or septuplets.

Sonar Platinum (lifetime sub) :: Windows 8.1 Pro :: AMD FX-8350 CPU, 16GB ram :: 120GB SSD (boot), 1TB 7200rpm HDD (data/projects) :: (dual) Focusrite Saffire Pro40 (TI chipset on FW card) :: lots of plugins :: lots of various midi controllers and hardware synths :: Pearl Drums/Paiste Cymbals/Roland & Alesis Electronic pads.

My Music
cityrat
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 671
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/10/10 08:02:26 (permalink)
Maybe.  I suppose it *is* a fairly special skill.  And the 'staff people' are pretty vicious when you get some thing 'wrong'.

m-kay....

Probably a bunch of *conflicting* requests.  Some want external integration, some internal, some simple, some complex, etc

Could be.    There is usually a lot of opposition to staff by people who don't use it, since it does take resources away from other development.

We can fix that!

Can't argue with that at least as a priority call.

Yep.  There does seem to be a trend to 'audio' and 'recording' focus vs midi. 

Sure......

And the comments here (mine) too!

Sonar Platinum | Windows 7 64 bit SP1 | Intel i5 3570 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H | OCZ SSD | RME 9632
pbognar
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/10/10 22:32:25 (permalink)
vintagevibe
noynekker
vintagevibe
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]

Multiple choice:

10) It's deep diving into the code and they have put it off so long they don't think they'll ever get it put back together if they went that deep. 

Logic would dictate that the Staph View code is un-maintainable for either technological or legal reasons, otherwise the bakers would have relegated one of their devs (the one who drew the short straw) to sit in the corner and throw us a small bone every once in a while, so that it could be said that the SV has been improved.

I would be happy with just some small improvements (tied triplet handling with leading or embedded rests, note value buttons, etc.)  But this is not going to happen through development (see above).  Cubasically, Cakewalk may feel that today's digital performers do not need pro tools for MIDI editing in a notation environment.

I have a notion that an improved SV will only be realized through acquisition.

jsg
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1079
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/10/10 23:11:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby riojazz 2013/10/10 23:26:59
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]

Actually there are some small improvements, at least compared with X2a:

1.  The snap-to function now works better, it is now possible to place, say, a quarter note, in its exact position even if the snap value is on 32nd notes. 

2.  Right-clicking on a note that is below the staff, on a ledger line calls up the note properties dialogue box without a struggle, something X2a had an issue with.

For midi inputting and editing, the staff view is quite adequate.  Completely up to snuff?  No, of course not, the tied/dotted triplet issue and 32nd note dotted and tied notes, and 64th notes do not display correctly.  Since I do all my scores in Sibelius, this doesn't matter much to me because Sonar plays back these all note values accurately, which is the most important thing for me.  Any skilled composer should be able to use the staff view to enter and edit MIDI, taking into account the display limitations. 

For those that long for the note icons on the toolbar as in previous versions before X1, all I can say is I was frustrated when I first became aware of that.  But honestly, using keybinding not only resolves that issue but makes inputting even faster.

q    quarter note
e    eighth note
s    sixteen note
etc.

Shift q   dotted quarter
Ctrl q     triplet quarter
etc.

Cubase's notation has more options regarding printing scores, but since I never print from Sonar, this is not an issue for me.  Digital Performer's notation is OK, but even DP doesn't display dotted triplets correctly (or tied, I forgot, one of those).  All DAW notation editors cannot be compared with Sibelius, nor should they be.  Sibelius isn't a DAW, it's a notation program!

And, the event list in Sonar is the best.  Why?  Because you can color code types of events, patch changes, controller changes, etc. can all have their own unique color.  The event list, in DP for example, is very difficult to look at, tiny text and no color options, same with Cubase.  For those that use the event list, color differentiation between types of events really helps a lot.

I am very happy with X3.  It's very stable, all VSTs, audio and midi recording and editing is smooth and without issue. 

JG
http://www.jerrygerber.com/symphony8.htm

pbognar
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/10/10 23:52:01 (permalink)
jsg
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]

1.  The snap-to function now works better, it is now possible to place, say, a quarter note, in its exact position even if the snap value is on 32nd notes. 

2.  Right-clicking on a note that is below the staff, on a ledger line calls up the note properties dialogue box without a struggle, something X2a had an issue with.

For midi inputting and editing, the staff view is quite adequate.  Completely up to snuff?  No, of course not, the tied/dotted triplet issue and 32nd note dotted and tied notes, and 64th notes do not display correctly.  Since I do all my scores in Sibelius, this doesn't matter much to me because Sonar plays back these all note values accurately, which is the most important thing for me.  Any skilled composer should be able to use the staff view to enter and edit MIDI, taking into account the display limitations. 

For those that long for the note icons on the toolbar as in previous versions before X1, all I can say is I was frustrated when I first became aware of that.  But honestly, using keybinding not only resolves that issue but makes inputting even faster.

q    quarter note
e    eighth note
s    sixteen note
etc.

Shift q   dotted quarter
etc.

Cubase's notation has more options regarding printing scores, but since I never print from Sonar, this is not an issue for me.  Digital Performer's notation is OK, but even DP doesn't display dotted triplets correctly (or tied, I forgot, one of those).  All DAW notation editors cannot be compared with Sibelius, nor should they be.  Sibelius isn't a DAW, it's a notation program!

And, the event list in Sonar is the best.  Why?  Because you can color code types of events, patch changes, controller changes, etc. can all have their own unique color.  The event list, in DP for example, is very difficult to look at, tiny text and no color options, same with Cubase.  For those that use the event list, color differentiation between types of events really helps a lot.

I am very happy with X3.  It's very stable, all VSTs, audio and midi recording and editing is smooth and without issue. 

JG

I was venting.  Appreciate your tips for SV in X3.

One thing I didn't understand - "Since I do all my scores in Sibelius, this doesn't matter much to me because Sonar plays back these all note values accurately, which is the most important thing for me."

Did you mean that you compose in Sibelius and export / import MIDI data into X3, or do you export MIDI or create Music XML from X3 for input into Sibelius for printing?

Some things only make sense to me if I'm looking at or working with MIDI data in a notation view.  I don't mind cleaning things up in PRV, and there are probably even some things which can be more easily accomplished by entering data in the PRV.

However, using two programs, back and forth, for composing is a buzz kill for me.  My preference would be to do it all in X3 and if I really needed to print, I'd use a program like Musescore.

jsg
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1079
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/10/11 00:14:14 (permalink)
pbognar
jsg
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]

q    quarter note
e    eighth note
s    sixteen note
etc.

Shift q   dotted quarter
etc.

JG

I was venting.  Appreciate your tips for SV in X3.

One thing I didn't understand - "Since I do all my scores in Sibelius, this doesn't matter much to me because Sonar plays back these all note values accurately, which is the most important thing for me."

Did you mean that you compose in Sibelius and export / import MIDI data into X3, or do you export MIDI or create Music XML from X3 for input into Sibelius for printing?

Some things only make sense to me if I'm looking at or working with MIDI data in a notation view.  I don't mind cleaning things up in PRV, and there are probably even some things which can be more easily accomplished by entering data in the PRV.

However, using two programs, back and forth, for composing is a buzz kill for me.  My preference would be to do it all in X3 and if I really needed to print, I'd use a program like Musescore.

I compose and sequence in Sonar (now X3b).  I'm now working on my 13th album.  I do create scores in Sibelius, I export the MIDI file from Sonar to Sibelius and clean up any rhythmic issues, add tempo markings, etc.  I don't use Music XML, I simply create a type 1 MIDI file in Sonar and export to Sibelius.  If that score were to be presented to live players, I'd add all the necessary phrasing, bowings and articulation marks.  But generally, I create a score because it helps me document my work, teach composition to students, and helps me error-check my MIDI sequence. 

I don't use two programs to compose, I use one, Sonar.  But when I need or want a score, I export ot Sibelius.  No big deal for me, I've been doing it for many years this way. 

JG

vicsant
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1378
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/10/11 01:47:43 (permalink)
Working in Staff view would fall under the category of a "workflow" , IMO.
malcolmb
  • Total Posts : 713
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/18 10:23:45 (permalink)
Sorry if this a rather late contribution but I found this thread by chance. When I first started writing music back in 2005 and bought Homestudio 4XL, I contacted Cakewalk with what I thought was a reasonable suggestion about improving Staff View (must have been a very trivial item as I cannot now remember what it was!). I received a rather terse and short response that Cakewalk was a sequencer and that if I wanted to write music by notation, go elsewhere! OK, I'm still here!

I don't like Piano Roll View as I cannot 'see' music in that view - I can see music in Staff View on a stave. When I think music, I think notes on a stave. Always have, always will. I do not play any instrument but I have a range of VSTs that do it for me. So I don't need a sequencer as such. But I do need the ability to write notes on a stave and the excellent range of mixing and audio tools that Sonar provides to make the VSTs sound right. I am sure I am not alone in the way I use Sonar. I regularly recommend Sonar to other composers who work on staves as I do. I tell them that Staff View may not be a notation facility of the sophistication of Finale or Sibelius but it is workable and the quality of the audio tools makes Sonar in my view unbeatable as the tool of choice for notation-orientated composers. And transferring the music by midi file to a notation software is easy if you need to produce a Score.

So my plea to Sonar is don't disregard or belittle Staff View. Those who use your software are NOT all sequencers. We are ALL composers, we just work in different ways. And the beauty of Sonar is that it works for us all.

(Mind you, I would rather like facilities for 'phrasing' but I can wait!).

HS 7 XL
XP Prof.
4 GB memory
GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
vintagevibe
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/18 10:44:02 (permalink)
pbognar

Agree.  I've tried that at it's a terrible workflow.  I want to compose int notation and mix in the same app.
Jon Bryson
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 377
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/18 10:52:38 (permalink)
Wow, you got a response on your feature request? 

That's more than I've ever gotten.
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/18 11:29:21 (permalink)
harmony gardens
noldar12
I wish the situation was different, but for all intents and purposes I suspect Staff view has long since been orphaned to be nothing more than what it already is.  In previous years, the ongoing issues with the Staff view were raised quite strongly, but to no avail.

It may well be that Cakewalk has determined that the costs to upgrade the notation features are greater than the revenue that fixing it would bring in.  In any case it will be interesting to see what happens in the DAW world over the next few years given what has happened with both Notion, and the former Sibelius employees (Finale's situation is by no means certain either).

But the same thing happened when people wanted the groove matrix and we got that.  ;) 

Did anyone actually ask for groove  matrix? I think it was something that was cheap and easy pseudo-Ableton thing to implement.  They have made a few minor improvents but it probably gets touched less than staff view.  I doubt there are many users who are dependent on it.
dubdisciple
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/18 11:45:42 (permalink)
I wasn't saying any of that to belittle anyone's plight.  There just seems to be this mistaken notion that items like matrix view have priority  and that Sonar is being geared more and more towards loop based production when nothing could be farther from the truth.  The casual user of the matrix view would probably not notice a single difference since it's introduction and i would not have noticed if I had not read about them. The loops that come with Sonar have been the same for awhile and Cakewalk has not introduced a new instrument for awhile.  In fact, every major loop manipulation feature or instrument was introduced to Sonar many versions ago and are mostly 32-bit.
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/18 11:49:43 (permalink)

As daws get to the point that they do everything you could possibly want them to, I see streamlining and fixing longstanding bugs as the way to keep up sales over time.

Maybe Staff view will get some love once everything else is taken care of.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
cityrat
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/18 12:07:09 (permalink)
malcolmb
I don't like Piano Roll View as I cannot 'see' music in that view - I can see music in Staff View on a stave. When I think music, I think notes on a stave. Always have, always will.

I detest the piano roll paradigm for viewing notes, even disregarding the note durations - I'd love to see a 'staff roll'.  You can immediately look at a 'note' and see the value, the intervals etc.

Interestingly, This is from "Notion" so maybe someone will get this, although I'd just want this as a different view from piano roll.  

Melodyne has a staff representation - reduced to just noteheads, but it's nice instead of going blind try to read a piano spaced lines back to a 'keyboard'.

I think Amiga bars and Pipes had something similar, as did the ancient Buchla 

That said, I find Sonar's Staff view very useable for what I do - and I'm very happy with it.  I just mainly use it as a tool for creating chord sheets and for transcribing from a mp3 song (after I tempo map it).

Although I can see it would be limiting for experts.

Sonar Platinum | Windows 7 64 bit SP1 | Intel i5 3570 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H | OCZ SSD | RME 9632
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/18 14:27:27 (permalink)
dubdisciple

Did anyone actually ask for groove  matrix? I think it was something that was cheap and easy pseudo-Ableton thing to implement.  They have made a few minor improvents but it probably gets touched less than staff view.  I doubt there are many users who are dependent on it.

Absolutely - the same concept was originally developed in Project 5, and once that was gone quite a few people asked to have it (or a close facsimile) implemented in SONAR.

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

malcolmb
  • Total Posts : 713
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/18 15:14:12 (permalink)
Cityrat - good to hear I am not alone! I do take your point about a staff roll although I just have this thing about needing note blobs to have tails!

I write all my music by notation and as you can see from my signature, am still plodding away with HomeStudio 7XL and XP. This Christmas I had planned to upgrade to a new Windows 8 computer and Sonar X3. I was rather looking forward to it! But notwithstanding what I said above, I must admit this thread has given me pause for thought. Have Sonar really done away with the note icon in staff view? I fully understand about using keybinding and I can see how that might possibly improve workflow. But I do worry if that in itself an indication of the future progressively degraded path of Staff View and Sonar's commitment to it. As the move from the old Home Studio to X3 is a major work flow change in itself, I may have to review other DAW options. I really would rather not as I do love Sonar - but writing music is difficult enough as it is without having to puzzle my way through the software all the time!

HS 7 XL
XP Prof.
4 GB memory
GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
dubdisciple
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/18 15:25:53 (permalink)
stevec..thanks.  I really had no idea there was actually a demand for it.  Were you among them and did it meet the expectations?
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/18 15:46:03 (permalink)
Cityrat - 
Along the same lines, Vielklang 2's "hybrid score" view is the same type of thing - 
http://www.zplane.de/products/images/stories/vielklang/vk2_hybridscore.png
I would like this as a view that could be flipped from PRV - basically switching between the piano keys/note names view and the "hybrid" score type view.
I wouldn't see this as a replacement for improvements to the Staff View either - just a way to make MIDI composition from the PRV more amenable to working for wide range of users.

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
cityrat
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/18 16:11:57 (permalink)
Brando
Cityrat - 
Along the same lines, Vielklang 2's "hybrid score" view is the same type of thing - 
http://www.zplane.de/products/images/stories/vielklang/vk2_hybridscore.png
I would like this as a view that could be flipped from PRV - basically switching between the piano keys/note names view and the "hybrid" score type view.
I wouldn't see this as a replacement for improvements to the Staff View either - just a way to make MIDI composition from the PRV more amenable to working for wide range of users.

Had not seen that - very nice.  It just seems easier (when you read notation) to have the staff gridlines vs a representation of a 'piano' that you need to look back to the 'keys' to see the note 'frequency'.

I'd love to just have an option to flip the view from PRV to SRV(?)  for a hybrid view.  Someday *somebody* is going to do it.  And probably midi people AND staff people will hate it!  But I'd love it 

dubdisciple
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/18 16:17:08 (permalink)
I doubt anyone hates it if it does not take away from whatever it is they prefer.  I would guess those who did not use it would be ambivalent towards it.
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/18 17:23:23 (permalink)
dubdisciple
stevec..thanks.  I really had no idea there was actually a demand for it.  Were you among them and did it meet the expectations?

Your welcome.   By the time P5 was on its way out I really wasn't that into it any longer.   P5 was my attempt at using a completely pattern based system as that was something I was interested in trying.   I just never fell in with it the way I planned, so wound up using the plugins in SONAR more than P5 itself around that time.   It did have some nice points though...

That said, I really would like to use the Matrix View more.  I see a lot of potential with it, it's just the "set up" part that always sets me back - having to get clips in a ready state to be triggered.   I have done a few things using the delivered content and it was really OK for me in that context.  But I can only do so much with any delivered content before needing to add my own stuff... and then it's back to that set up part.    It's a vicous cycle.   

Edit: Back to the OP - that would be pretty cool to see a staff(s) as a semi-transparent background in the PRV.

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/18 17:47:22 (permalink)
cityrat
But I'd love it 

Me too!

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1