Helpful ReplySo . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
WallyG
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 833
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/18 20:44:44 (permalink)
cityrat
I think Amiga bars and Pipes had something similar...

ahh that brings back some great memories. Spent hours in front of an Amiga with Bar and Pipes, Deluxe Music Construction Set... sync'ed with a Foxtex A16 back in the 80s...

Wally G

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music
madoues
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 59
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/19 13:59:43 (permalink)
pbognar

Logic would dictate that the Staph View code is un-maintainable for either technological or legal reasons, otherwise the bakers would have relegated one of their devs (the one who drew the short straw) to sit in the corner and throw us a small bone every once in a while, so that it could be said that the SV has been improved.

I would be happy with just some small improvements (tied triplet handling with leading or embedded rests, note value buttons, etc.)  But this is not going to happen through development (see above).  Cubasically, Cakewalk may feel that today's digital performers do not need pro tools for MIDI editing in a notation environment.

I have a notion that an improved SV will only be realized through acquisition.

I feel the same way. It seems that we who wish for SV improvements are the minority. However, many of us don't need a full blown notation program. It would be nice to see even the smallest of improvements now and again. If there had been just one fix or minor new feature to the SV every year, we would have something that is quite workable by now.

I have not been upgrading every year for a while now, mainly because there is no improvements in SV. I wouldn't really need to upgrade at all I suppose, but then there is always another carrot in new features that makes me eventually upgrade.

Dan

Sonar 2016, i7 4770K, Asus Z87-A, Win7, Tascam DM-4800, MOTU 828MKIII, Tranzport,  Peavey VMP-2, Focusrite ISA-828, Benchmark MPS-400, JBL LSR4328Ps, Mics(U87s, 414s, C460s, ....)
pbognar
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/19 14:26:59 (permalink)
madoues
pbognar

Logic would dictate that the Staph View code is un-maintainable for either technological or legal reasons, otherwise the bakers would have relegated one of their devs (the one who drew the short straw) to sit in the corner and throw us a small bone every once in a while, so that it could be said that the SV has been improved.

I would be happy with just some small improvements (tied triplet handling with leading or embedded rests, note value buttons, etc.)  But this is not going to happen through development (see above).  Cubasically, Cakewalk may feel that today's digital performers do not need pro tools for MIDI editing in a notation environment.

I have a notion that an improved SV will only be realized through acquisition.

I feel the same way. It seems that we who wish for SV improvements are the minority. However, many of us don't need a full blown notation program. It would be nice to see even the smallest of improvements now and again. If there had been just one fix or minor new feature to the SV every year, we would have something that is quite workable by now.

I have not been upgrading every year for a while now, mainly because there is no improvements in SV. I wouldn't really need to upgrade at all I suppose, but then there is always another carrot in new features that makes me eventually upgrade.

Dan

I don't have to tell you that my post was quite tongue in cheek, but my opinion was very real.

However, if you read some of jsg's posts, he spends almost all his time in Staff View, and has found some minor SV improvements in X3, and has found work-arounds for almost all of the long standing Sonar SV limitations.  I have to give him credit for that.  He should publish a Sonar SV Survival Guide.    He seems to come to the rescue whenever someone has an SV issue, so if you have a specific problem, post it.

In the meantime, it would be nice if Cakwalk could continue to throw us notation MIDI editors a bone here and there, until if -or- when the Bakers decide to implement an SV make-over in a future release.  Personally, I could use:

1) an aim assistant (like large cross-hairs) for inserting new notes (not sure, but I believe Cubase might have something like this)

2) the ability to see the PRV right above the corresponding track's staff view for verifying MIDI durations (I think this exists in Samplitude, and a variation exists in Mixcraft)

3) the ability to have chords on the staff re-sound each time you change a note within the chord (this the default behavior in Logic)

Until then, you should do what is right for you.
Elffin
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1196
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/19 16:48:07 (permalink)
I'd really like to purchase Sonar or even Home creator for my students who are 11-16....  but the lack of notation icons is a huge stumbling block...

Being european ... I'm not going to introduce half notes, quarter notes, eighth notes etc and then confuse with traditional european names as well (minim, crotchet, quaver) etc..(plus I also refer the note names in WELSH!!!!!)

Since Cakewalk hired the guy who help implement the icons in a third party utility I was rather hoping that this might have appeared (even as an option)
Yes I have made a feature request and still await.

This feature is pretty fundamental feature of notation.......  and its lack in Sonar has made it impossible for me to move from sonar 8.5.
To ignore this small and fixable issue lacks insight to european notation users and only encourages me to look elsewhere. Isn't a successful business based on giving people what they want? They have the means and it isn't a major issue to implement is it?   .... please, please  let Ben add this in a future update!!! 
vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/19 17:00:27 (permalink)
pbognar
if -or- when the Bakers decide to implement an SV make-over in a future release. 

Your kidding, right?
pbognar
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/19 17:09:41 (permalink)
Elffin
I'd really like to purchase Sonar or even Home creator for my students who are 11-16....  but the lack of notation icons is a huge stumbling block...

Being european ... I'm not going to introduce half notes, quarter notes, eighth notes etc and then confuse with traditional european names as well (minim, crotchet, quaver) etc..(plus I also refer the note names in WELSH!!!!!)

Since Cakewalk hired the guy who help implement the icons in a third party utility I was rather hoping that this might have appeared (even as an option)
Yes I have made a feature request and still await.

This feature is pretty fundamental feature of notation.......  and its lack in Sonar has made it impossible for me to move from sonar 8.5.
To ignore this small and fixable issue lacks insight to european notation users and only encourages me to look elsewhere. Isn't a successful business based on giving people what they want? They have the means and it isn't a major issue to implement is it?   .... please, please  let Ben add this in a future update!!! 

+1
pbognar
Re: So . . any new updates at all in X3 for Staff View ? 2013/11/19 17:11:38 (permalink)
vintagevibe
pbognar
if -or- when the Bakers decide to implement an SV make-over in a future release. 

Your kidding, right?

"a future release" 
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1