Helpful ReplySonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash!

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/12 07:36:46 (permalink)
Jesse G
chuckebaby
but in your case, it sounds like there is a conflict between either hardware or possibly a plug in.
you shouldn't be getting any freezes by simply doing a bass track or using plug ins that came with sonar.
I feel for you and am sorry for your frustration.

what about external devices ? is it just the Octa-Capture plugged in when getting these freezes ?

When I get the freezing in Sonar Platinum, I have my Octa-Capture audio interface, Motu Microlite Midi interface, My M-Audio Trigger Finger, My M-Audio Radium 49, My Korg TR-61 Workstation, My Presonus Eureka Preamp, My Lexicon MX 2000, My Mackie Control Unit, and my Mackie Big Knob connected Connected.

All works well with any other software except for Sonar, Also, when the freezing occured, I didn't have any plugins Only the BFD Eco Drum synth, the AD2 drum synth, and Dim Pro for keys.

my advise (and its only suggestion) is to pull connected devices and add one at a time and test until you catch the culprit.
there is an obvious piece here that's not playing well with sonar.
why does it work in everything else and not in sonar ? good question, but as with any software, nothing is perfect.
I have had hardware and devices not work in pro tools but works fine in sonar.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/12 15:40:17 (permalink)
This computer was built with with Windows 8 from an installation I was awarded from my place of employment.  This was offered to all employees.   I then purchased the parts for my new DAW and built the computer and installed Windows 8.   I then allowed it to update itself to Windows 10 and made a DVD installation for myself. I then wiped the computer clean and re-installed Windows 10 from the DVD I made to ensure the install was clean.

I then installed Sonar Platinum and the plugins I have purchased and all that I have onto the computer.  I have my previous DAW with Windows 8.1 on it with Sonar X3 and that was freezing as well sometimes but not like Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. This  if freezing every day and sometimes 3 times or more a session.  

I don't want to wipe it clean and re-install everything because I have used product registrations and am at the end of the registration cycle for these plugins.

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
streckfus
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 339
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/12 16:24:35 (permalink)
The Grim
streckfus

I recently navigated through a crippling hardware-based failure and ended up building a new PC from scratch, and part of that process involved some heavy reading in Microsoft/Tech forums. While not SONAR-specific, a LOT of similar behavior was observed in Windows 10, and the common thread was this: users who took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 without doing a fresh install ran into freezes, crashes, lock-ups, etc. Users who upgraded to get their new product key, then did a full, clean install of Windows 10 did not tend to run into the same problems. 

i have 4 systems upgraded to windows 10, 3 of them were in place upgrades and 1 was a clean install of windows 10 with a copy purchased from microsoft. i have found absolutely 0 difference between any of them with regards to speed stability or problems of any sort, they all work as flawlessly as the other. although i don't use sonar much at all now and i am leaving it at manchester i had no issue at all whether it be running on a machine with an in place install or clean install of windows 10. my 2 main daws and associated music programs run flawlessly on all machines regardless of whether they are on machines that had an in place upgrade or clean install of windows 10. i would advise people to not be afraid of the in place upgrade and save themselves a huge amount of time and hassle and try via the in place upgrade as apposed to having to reinstall everything etc that comes with a clean install. my experience and that of many many others are testament to the fact that generally speaking the in place upgrade to windows 10 works perfectly well and is completely indistinguishable from a clean install in all areas, performance. reliability you name it. of course there is always the exception to the rule, but it is certainly worth it to try the in place upgrade with your setup before doing a clean install. half an hour/ 1 hour of time for in place upgrade is certainly much more desirable than many hours even days of downtime and hassle that a clean install involves

I'm sure there are plenty of people who've had zero issues doing the free upgrade without a clean install. Just saying that while I was researching stuff, I found in many cases, those who were suffering from freezes, lock-ups, etc. had generally not done a clean install, then found their systems to be stable after they did. 

Obviously a worse case scenario if issues present themselves after the free upgrade. But yeah, I'm not suggesting that doing the free upgrade and stopping there is a guaranteed problem.

Sonar Platinum | Win 10 Pro/64-bit | Core i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 2400 RAM | ASUS Z170-AR | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 | Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS8s
streckfus
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/12 16:25:56 (permalink)
Jesse G
This computer was built with with Windows 8 from an installation I was awarded from my place of employment.  This was offered to all employees.   I then purchased the parts for my new DAW and built the computer and installed Windows 8.   I then allowed it to update itself to Windows 10 and made a DVD installation for myself. I then wiped the computer clean and re-installed Windows 10 from the DVD I made to ensure the install was clean.

I then installed Sonar Platinum and the plugins I have purchased and all that I have onto the computer.  I have my previous DAW with Windows 8.1 on it with Sonar X3 and that was freezing as well sometimes but not like Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. This  if freezing every day and sometimes 3 times or more a session.  

I don't want to wipe it clean and re-install everything because I have used product registrations and am at the end of the registration cycle for these plugins.

Youch, sorry to hear it man. 

Sonar Platinum | Win 10 Pro/64-bit | Core i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 2400 RAM | ASUS Z170-AR | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 | Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS8s
ebibault51
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 91
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/13 09:59:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FCCfirstclass 2016/05/23 10:49:49
It's a fact: since Platinum, I have more and more crashes (or freezes). Sometimes it comes from specific plugins who are known to involve issues: V-Vocal, Melodyne essential...

But most of the time, there is no clear reason, except the fact that I'm the kind of guy who acts very quickly on a PC (yes, we are musicians, that means we are handy!): for example, I click on save, then I close the file, I see that the mouse arrow is OK, so I immediately click on File to open another project... and then, SONAR crashes. Or for example, I'm testing tons of VST sounds and/or VST FX presets, while playing a short loop, and after a few minutes, SONAR will lose control and freeze.

BUT I recently discovered something: I think I've got much less problems when the 2x button is NOT on. It's strange because I've chosen upsampling RENDER only for all my plugins, therefore it should not have any importance when playing a project. But I really think that since I turned this option off, I can work hours without any crash or freeze (except with particular plugins).

To be honest, I must say that:
- I often use 32 bits plugins with BitBridge, and it's a known reason for instability.
- I'm so happy with all the gorgeous new SONAR functions that my projects are by far more complicated than ever. For example : 40 tracks with take lanes and automation, 15 VST synths, 8 busses, maybe 100 FX and PC... I think that can explain the problems too! I think that people who don't use many VST synths in their projects have less problems.

SONAR Platinum - Intel i5-3570 @ 3,40 GHz, 4 cores - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 - Windows 10 (64 bits) - Roland QUAD-CAPTURE (ASIO mode) - Roland JUNO-G - Roland A-300PRO - AKAI MPK mini
Jesse G
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/14 21:42:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FCCfirstclass 2016/05/23 10:50:15
Today, I recorded three sessions all CRASH FREE!!!   I read a posting from Craig Anderton from his Tip of the week 35.   There was a driver which came with my computer on board sound card for the motherboard that was interfering with Sonar some how.  I deactivated, started the computer  and played 2 song that always crashes and whalah!!!  no crashes.   I recorded more midi instruments into the song, changed midi notes, hit play and pause on my MCU several times and no crash at all.   (Most of the times with crashes I was using Midi )

Once you are directed to the page from the link, scroll down to Tip 35
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Friday39s-Tip-of-the-Week-93-Convert-PRV-MIDI-Controllers-to-Track-View-Automation-m3074655.aspx

Thanks everyone who kept telling me to dig deeper, giving me advice and holding my hand as I shared tears over my baby (DAW) while it was sick .
post edited by Jesse G - 2016/05/14 22:06:50

Peace,

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
streckfus
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/14 22:09:15 (permalink)
Great news! I know exactly how you feel when you make changes and re-open SONAR with crossed fingers, then smile like an idiot as it works without a hitch.

Glad you were able to get things running again. SO frustrating when things act up and there aren't immediate/obvious reasons.

chuckebaby
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/15 06:53:52 (permalink)
Jesse G
Today, I recorded three sessions all CRASH FREE!!!   I read a posting from Craig Anderton from his Tip of the week 35.   There was a driver which came with my computer on board sound card for the motherboard that was interfering with Sonar some how.  I deactivated, started the computer  and played 2 song that always crashes and whalah!!!  no crashes.   I recorded more midi instruments into the song, changed midi notes, hit play and pause on my MCU several times and no crash at all.   (Most of the times with crashes I was using Midi )

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Friday39s-Tip-of-the-Week-93-Convert-PRV-MIDI-Controllers-to-Track-View-Automation-m3074655.aspx

Thanks everyone who kept telling me to dig deeper, giving me advice and holding my hand as I shared tears over my baby (DAW) while it was sick .

dude, I am very excited to hear this.
its hard enough to make good music, record tough passages of music with out having pc issues.
now you can get back making great music. rock on bro.

Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB

MacFurse
  • Total Posts : 324
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/15 08:04:37 (permalink)
chuckebaby
Jesse G

dude, I am very excited to hear this.
its hard enough to make good music, record tough passages of music with out having pc issues.
now you can get back making great music. rock on bro.

So glad you got to the bottom of it and +100 re chuckebaby's comments. On a plus, it's like working on your car when it keeps breaking down. At least you get to know it lot better !!!   All the best to you.

Platinum. i7 4771 3.5ghz. ECU H87 mobo with 3 monitor support. 16gb Ripjaws 1600mhz. Focusrite 18i20. 2 x 250gb Samsung EVO SSD's OP/Programs. 2x1TB Seagate Baracuda sata3 data drives. 200gb sata2 bootable drive for online and downloading only. Seagate 2tb USB 3.0 backup drive.  2x27in monitors. Rode K2 valve mic. Sontronics STC-1 pair. Studio Projects B1 condenser. SM58B. SM57B. Presonus Eureka Preamp.
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/15 16:45:26 (permalink)
Craig discovered that HDMI Audio drive issue a while back. I thought every regular on the forum would have been aware of this issue by now as it has been the topic on many threads.  If you look back at my MoBo shot its shows the HDMI port that new MoBos seem to sport. So the video driver includes an audio driver to support that. Disabling the audio driver for many resolves a conflict. 
I can't see that it would cause that much trouble but hey,,

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/15 17:50:47 (permalink)
Merwyn
stratman70
I used Win 7x64 for a long time but had SP's up to date. You could always create a restore point and install the Service packs-I think 3 was the last one. Couldn't hurt.

But also, I had some issues (not BSOD) with Dim pro quite a few times-years ago in Win 7x64 Pro.
Now on Win 8.1x64 for last couple of years. But ever since I got rapture Pro I don't - Still have Dim Pro installed but rapture Pro is what I use. Dim Pro is an old program -  I did get in onthe $79 upgrade to rapture Pro way back-not sure what it is now. Dim Pro is incorporated i8n rapture Pro. I still use a few Dim Pro basses, but go thru thru Rapture Pro to get there.

Hope you get it sorted out sooner than later.

Thanks stratman

I've checked the service pack for win7 (64) pro and there only seems to be service pack 1 available, which I have.

Sorry Merwyn - I think this old coyote was confusing it with XP.....

stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/15 17:54:29 (permalink)
chuckebaby
Ricebug
Upgraded to Win10 and everything works perfectly. I think it's a conspiracy to wean everyone off of other versions of the OS.

im still on 8.1 and running smooth :_)
fingers crossed.
happy for you though ;-)
rock on man

Me Too!

Merwyn
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/23 04:17:17 (permalink)
I thought I would just pop in and update my situation.

No reply from support yet! More than two weeks gone by and have not heard from Cakewalk so I've filed another ticket today.

No improvement in performance within Sonar. I have followed through with every piece of advice here...upgraded this, tested that etc. but nothing has altered the fact that Dim Pro is causing Sonar to freeze and intermittently I'm suffering BSOD.

All things considered I've decided to go down the 'clean install' route. This is going to be a huge disruption as it's probably going to take a week to re-install and activate all my software again...I've the internet from hell where I live. I just hope it's going to solve BSOD.

Regarding Sonar and Dim Pro. Considering Cakewalk are now asking for another $199 for lifetime updates I'm not sure I'm really in a position to go out and buy Rapture Pro at the moment, just so I can get Dim Pro sounds to work. I'm not even sure I want lifetime updates either :(

CPU: Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS® Z170-P: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
GRAPHICS: 4GB AMD RADEON™ R9 380X
RAM: 32GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz
STORAGE:
Disk 1 = 500GB Samsung 750 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
Disk 2 = 2TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
PROCESSOR COOLINGNoctua NH-D15S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
AUDIO INTERFACE: Steinberg UR22

skitch_84
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 480
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/23 04:36:41 (permalink)
There's been some talk of performance improvement in the early release of the June update. It's worth a shot before doing a full clean install. Just "Rollback" Sonar in CCC and you'll see an option for the early release.

Chris Porter
www.cportermusic.com
Listen to my original work on Soundcloud and YouTube
Get my original soundtracks on Bandcamp 
Sonar Platinum "2017.04", Windows 10 64-bit, ASUS Z170-A, i7 6700K (4.0GHz), 32GB DDR4 RAM, 250GB SSD 850 EVO (OS/Sonar/Plugins), 1TB SSD 850 EVO (Sample Libraries), 3TB WD Black HDD (projects/audio), Noctua NH-D14 Cooling Unit, PreSonus AudioBox USB Interface, M-AUDIO Oxygen49
Jesse G
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/23 11:22:46 (permalink)
OK new update added.  After I recorded the three sessions crash free, the very next day Sonar Froze again and then several more times after that.  At that point I go so frustrated and I said Forget Sonar and shut down the DAW to look for a new program to buy.  I was going to either purchase Pro Tools for Windows or Studio One 3.2.  Over the past few days, I hadn't touched Sonar  or my DAW, but instead was viewing YouTube and looking at what both Pro Tools and Studio One 3.2 could both do for me.  Both were nice and each had it's advantages over the other in different ways.  I downloaded a test product of each and ran them on my old DAW used for testing, this DAW has windows 10 and only 8GB installed. Both seemed to work well and no freezing (my major concern), but because they were trials, I couldn't use a log of plug-ins and there wasn't a lot of instruments to use.  However, what I could see in Studio One 3.2 I liked, so that was the route I was headed to.  I had scheduled this week to perform the uninstall of Sonar Platinum  thinking I would never use it again, but wait a minute..., I saw a conversation on the Cakewalk forum site discussing the Early Access Program for the release of SONAR 2016.05.  I never took advantage of this download.  I saw a version of Sonar with the Tungsten theme and it blew my mind.  I was still on 2016.04 so I asked about how to obtain the version of Sonar with the Tungsten theme from the Sonar community and I was directed to CC to obtain it.  

After Sonar updated with 2016.05,  I tested it out and the GUI looked great and I have not had a freeze during the entire weekend.  I added my Audio Card back to Sonar Platinum and I still didn't have a problem.    I kept stating and stopping the play and pause button on my MCU quickly, where I would get most of my freezing and nothing happened. 

All weekend long, there has been no freezing.    Sunday I ran Sonar Platinum basically all day long  stopping, starting. pressing pause, adding loops, recording Bass Guitar, editing midi,  using soft synths,  comping, running mass plugins and not once has it froze. 

As I said originally, it wasn't the computer, it was Sonar Platinum as I thought.  After the update to 2016.05,  Sonar looks good and is working well again.  We will see what the future holds, but for now Sonar Platinum is welcomed back in the studio where it belongs.  We've had some history from Sonar 2.2 XL to Present Times.   I love Sonar, but it better not act up again or else....

Peace,

chuckebaby
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/23 15:21:19 (permalink)

Jesse G
OK new update added.  After I recorded the three sessions crash free, the very next day Sonar Froze again and then several more times after that.  At that point I go so frustrated and I said Forget Sonar and shut down the DAW to look for a new program to buy.  I was going to either purchase Pro Tools for Windows or Studio One 3.2.  Over the past few days, I hadn't touched Sonar  or my DAW, but instead was viewing YouTube and looking at what both Pro Tools and Studio One 3.2 could both do for me.  Both were nice and each had it's advantages over the other in different ways.  I downloaded a test product of each and ran them on my old DAW used for testing, this DAW has windows 10 and only 8GB installed. Both seemed to work well and no freezing (my major concern), but because they were trials, I couldn't use a log of plug-ins and there wasn't a lot of instruments to use.  However, what I could see in Studio One 3.2 I liked, so that was the route I was headed to.  I had scheduled this week to perform the uninstall of Sonar Platinum  thinking I would never use it again, but wait a minute..., I saw a conversation on the Cakewalk forum site discussing the Early Access Program for the release of SONAR 2016.05.  I never took advantage of this download.  I saw a version of Sonar with the Tungsten theme and it blew my mind.  I was still on 2016.04 so I asked about how to obtain the version of Sonar with the Tungsten theme from the Sonar community and I was directed to CC to obtain it.  

After Sonar updated with 2016.05,  I tested it out and the GUI looked great and I have not had a freeze during the entire weekend.  I added my Audio Card back to Sonar Platinum and I still didn't have a problem.    I kept stating and stopping the play and pause button on my MCU quickly, where I would get most of my freezing and nothing happened. 

All weekend long, there has been no freezing.    Sunday I ran Sonar Platinum basically all day long  stopping, starting. pressing pause, adding loops, recording Bass Guitar, editing midi,  using soft synths,  comping, running mass plugins and not once has it froze. 

As I said originally, it wasn't the computer, it was Sonar Platinum as I thought.  After the update to 2016.05,  Sonar looks good and is working well again.  We will see what the future holds, but for now Sonar Platinum is welcomed back in the studio where it belongs.  We've had some history from Sonar 2.2 XL to Present Times.   I love Sonar, but it better not act up again or else....

that post was like a good book. good read man.
im glad its all good now. I cant say I agree that's its sonar, but good people find respectful ways to disagree and you are a good guy man.

I cant honestly say what I think your issue is because I don't know. I truly don't.
but in your case, im guessing a new update fixed some problem you were having. so in a sense, yes it was sonar...BUT.. because every set up is different, not all have those issues, like myself. I if ever rarely encounter any issues. I do however try not to do anything that will jeopardize my projects (save while playback is running, delete plug ins while the transport is running, exc) these are little things ive had problems with over time. however not the same in your set up though. pressing the button shouldn't give you a freeze :-)
so in essence, I don't think it IS sonar, but in your case it WAS sonar. does that make any sense ?

I know one thing, I got my MCU about 3 months ago, and I am so in to that thing its not even funny. I love how handy and easy it makes life.
John got me in to MCU many years ago when he recommended it. I just couldn't swing the cash for a new one, so I waited, saw one on Craigslist for 200. sent the link to John and he gave me a thumbs up (told me it was a good deal) so I bought it and I have been happier then ever, Shout out to John, ;-) thanks man.

any way Jesse, glad your still here man. most of all glad sonar is agreeing with you and your back to making music vs worrying about a crash, one cant make good music like that, very happy for you.

Jesse G
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/23 17:08:31 (permalink)
Thanks Chuck,

A while back I was watching a Sonar X2 tutorial about connecting a drum pad to Sessions Drummer 2 or 3 I believe, it's been a while.  I never knew that was you until the other day.   That was a great Tutorial, Chuck keep on doing them, it's good work.

Yea, my problem with Sonar Platinum had to have been one of the updates I received via CC, but it never acted like that before the entire time I have been using any Cakewalk products. The freezing was driving me crazy.  I was unable to hold session with clients just doing basic recording because the freezing was so bad.   I was at my breaking point when I saw the discussion about the 2016.05 early access version.   That was a good call by Cakewalk to give us a taste of the soon to be release.  I just hope they don't release anything else that will cause Sonar to act up again.

Peace
post edited by Jesse G - 2016/07/01 12:08:36

Peace,

robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/23 20:46:57 (permalink)
Well, if Sonar is installed using the Cakewalk Command Center, you can always do a Roll Back to a prior version from within Command Center (right-click and expand Roll Back and select the version to have it take you back to), if some future version causes you problems.  Just Roll Back to the latest version that worked for you, and you will be back in business in the time it takes for it to do the Roll Back.  Then, just wait for the needed fix to be released, and then update directly to that version.

It's VERY handy for that sort of thing.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Jesse G
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/25 10:56:33 (permalink)
I'm back and I have to say this new early update for 2016.05 is Wonderful.  Not one single freeze, not one single jitter, just sweet music, music, music coming from my DAW!!!!

Cakewalk, you hit it right on the head of the nail.  No matter what I do in Sonar, I can't get it to freeze.  I've just loaded a ton of plugins, while using my Jog wheel on my MCU to scrub through the song as it's playing and nothing at all. 

I am going outside and put a sign around my shoulders that shouts,  I LOVE CAKEWALK SOFTWARE!!

You may soon read about a strange man being taken off to the psych ward wearing a white straight jacket and a Cakewalk Sign.
post edited by Jesse G - 2016/07/01 12:15:19

Peace,

Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/25 12:20:26 (permalink)
Great news Jesse.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
phil5633
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 154
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/25 12:55:45 (permalink)
soens
Here's some tips that really helped me reduce these issues:

1. Defrag monthly
2. Clean Picture Cache routinely
3. After saving 10+ versions of a project, start over with a new one
4. Turn off the internet (no connection - no antivirus)
5. Keep the OS hard drive free space @ 20% or greater.
6. Cake's Windows Optimization Guide ***They really should advertise this one more!***

Some Windows Optimization Guide tweaks are needed for Windows 10:

The Windows Optimization Guide not only needs to be advertised more it needs to be updated for Windows 10. Except for disabling automatic updates, I was able to accomplish all the recommended changes, but, in some cases, the steps and methods are different for Windows 10. For example, high performance power mode was not available in my version of Windows 10 Pro v1511 x64 and had to be added. Also msconfig isn't the best way to find startup options. I think Task Manager is.

As for disabling automatic windows updates, I did that for my Surface Pro by making a registry edit to enable the updates settings change. Also, the change I made doesn't seem to disable Windows looking for and possibly downloading updates. It just stops the updates from being installed. However, I've had cases on the Surface Pro where an Updates are required notification shows up and it doesn't seem possible to stop their installation and a reboot.

Bill

BillP - SONAR Platinum, MOTU 828mkII, Focusrite 18i8, Akai MPK49, Windows 10 x64, Core i7-6850K 3.60GHz, 32GB DDR4, ASUS X99-DELUXE--II MB, AMD R7 250 GPU,  Behringer ADA8000, dbx 386,  (2) Aphex 207, (2) ART TPS II, Presouns E5/E8, Avantone MixCubes, Presonus Monitor Station v2
Jesse G
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/26 12:58:28 (permalink)

The Windows Optimization Guide not only needs to be advertised more it needs to be updated for Windows 10

I agree
post edited by Jesse G - 2016/05/26 13:20:03

Peace,

robert_e_bone
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/26 14:07:10 (permalink)
One thing I discovered is that even with the USB Selective Suspend option disabled in the Advanced Power Options, IF you end up adding an additional USB hub, it will STILL start off with ITS Power Management option set to allow Windows to turn it off to conserve power.  It's like that Advanced Power USB Selective Suspend option only gets applied to devices present at the time that option is set.

Sooooo, what I did was to go into Windows Device Manager for the new USB hub I had added, opened up its properties, and go to the Power Management tab and remove the check from the box labelled: Allow Windows to turn off this device to save power.

The above took care of the new hub, so IF you add a USB hub, just try to remember to go in and look in Device Manager and get rid of the check as needed.

I actually didn't bother with hardly any optimizations for my last 3-4 computers I ran/run Sonar on, and have no performance or stability issues.  I DID do: High Performance power option, turn off USB Selective Suspend, made sure nothing will ever go into sleep/hibernate mode, exclude Sonar paths from my antivirus, and set up hard drive distribution to have Windows and applications on the primary drive (SSD), User data and Sonar content/projects on a separate HDD, and then 2 more drives with all of my sample libraries on them.  That's about it for me, and all works well.  My computers all have 32 GB of memory, so I never worry about freezing or that sort of thing.
I access the web all day long when not in a Sonar session, and keep everything up to current maintenance levels.

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
phil5633
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 154
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/26 15:42:50 (permalink)
Thanks Bob.

Bill

BillP - SONAR Platinum, MOTU 828mkII, Focusrite 18i8, Akai MPK49, Windows 10 x64, Core i7-6850K 3.60GHz, 32GB DDR4, ASUS X99-DELUXE--II MB, AMD R7 250 GPU,  Behringer ADA8000, dbx 386,  (2) Aphex 207, (2) ART TPS II, Presouns E5/E8, Avantone MixCubes, Presonus Monitor Station v2
BRainbow
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 399
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/26 20:16:48 (permalink)
Jesse G
 No matter what I do in Sonar, I can't get it to freeze.

Clearly something's wrong.  Keep trying. 

Cakewalk (forever), Two WIN10 64-bit DAWs: home-brew ASRock x299 Taichi / i7 7820x w/ 64GB RAM and ASUS X99A-II / i7-5820K w/ 32GB RAM, ZOOM UAC 8, Mackie ONYX 1640i FW Mixer/Interface, Mackie ONYX 1200F, Avalon U5 PreAmp, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Composer CloudX, Yamaha MOTIF XS8, Ensoniq SD-1 and ESQ-1, Korg M1rEX, Yamaha TX-81Z, Roland D110, Line6 HELIX Rack and Native, POD HD-Pro, POD Farm 2.5, Yamaha NS-10 and Presonus Eris E8 monitors, Yamaha Disklavier Upright Piano, mics, guitars, basses, and the cutest little tambourine.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/26 21:42:40 (permalink)
Jesse G

Jesse G

Interestingly, disabling the Tool of Satan Driver didn't change stability on my system, it just cut the latency waaaaaay down. 

BTW a note of caution - when Windows does an update, it will likely "do you a favor" and re-enable the driver.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Merwyn
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/27 09:14:36 (permalink)
skitch_84
There's been some talk of performance improvement in the early release of the June update. It's worth a shot before doing a full clean install. Just "Rollback" Sonar in CCC and you'll see an option for the early release.

Thank you Chris
I attempted a rollback to the early release but it never saw the light of day. My PC decided enough was enough and I had a day or random BSOD which resulted in startup repair and took out every install of the early release.

In the end...and it really was the end...I went for the clean install.

Here goes the long road of re-installation, I'll be gone for some time :(

PS Despite a second ticket to Cakewalk support, still no answer. I submitted my first ticket on 8th May. Poor show indeed. I've continued to get those tempting, "go on, buy lifetime updates...go on, do it!" emails though :(

CPU: Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS® Z170-P: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
GRAPHICS: 4GB AMD RADEON™ R9 380X
RAM: 32GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz
STORAGE:
Disk 1 = 500GB Samsung 750 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
Disk 2 = 2TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
PROCESSOR COOLINGNoctua NH-D15S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
AUDIO INTERFACE: Steinberg UR22

robert_e_bone
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/27 12:21:35 (permalink)
Hi, Merwyn.  

Is your Windows maintenance and all drivers up to current levels?

If you open a project that has been repeatedly failing in Sonar's 'Safe Mode', skipping the loading of all plugins, does the project load OK?  (Don't save it like that, it's just to see if it opens OK with no plugins)

Is it possible you have a mix of 32-bit and 64-bit effects or synths loaded into these failing projects?  A LOT of issues can happen due to the instability of the 'bridging' required to have 32-bit stuff run in a 64-bit Sonar installation.

Are there any specific Windows Event Viewer errors around the timeframes of any of your crashes?  If so, please list the reported details for one or two of those.

Thanks - this certainly seems to be local to your system - maybe hardware, maybe application software, maybe plugins, maybe a lot of things BUT the good news is that then there should be a way to ferret out what the issues are, and it is most likely fixable.

Hang in there, and remain engaged, and hopefully between everyone, we can find a way to get you fixed up. :)

Bob Bone

Jesse G
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/27 20:59:21 (permalink)
Merywn,

When I updated to the 2016.05 early release, all of my freezing issues just jump out of the window.   I haven't had another Sonar freeze issue since I installed it.  I have now installed the Full 2016. 05 full update and it's working fine.  I did, however, switch from the Tugsten GUI back to the Mercury GUI, because of the ability to have full track and console view channel colors, you will see when you install the update.  

I've been using the new update quite hard and no freezing yet.   Go for it when you get your PC up and running again, it may resolved your problems.

Peace,

TedDavid
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 61
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/06/26 15:08:36 (permalink)
I'm having the same issue: Sonar X2 Win7 64 Bit.  I don't think its a hardware or driver issue, because the BSOD is followed by a DOS screen (after Windows has crashed) that says something about Locked Pages.  Could it be Windows' pages, or Sonar's buffer pages?  I don't know.

An odd thing happened - maybe not related, but worth a mention in case it might be - the last time I opened Sonar.  I was editing the same file previously and Sonar crashed.  When I opened it this time, half the Track View graphics of the Audio Track - from the beginning to about the middle of the file.  From that point out to the end, the graphics were there.  The audio was poresent for the entire track, just its graphic was missing.

TDinDC

TDinDC
Computer:
ASUS Strriker Extreme MOBO, Pentium Quad Core 2.4GHz Processor, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, HD for recording: 10K RPM RAID Level 5 set, 300GB
Interfaces: M-Audio Project Mix IO, MIDISport 4X4, novation ReMOTE 25 SL
MIDI: Korg X5DR, Korg NX5R, Roland Handsonic10
Audio: Alesis M1 Active Mk2, Yorkville NX55, Samson C-Control speaker control matrix.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1