Helpful ReplySonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash!

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Merwyn
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
2016/05/07 19:42:07 (permalink)

Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash!

Hello everybody

I am suffering Sonar crashes and BSOD over and over again. Ever since I upgraded from Sonar 7 to Professional and then Platinum my DAW seems, quite frankly, ill! I have all but given up hoping to ever compose music again!

First, I have submitted a support ticket to Cakewalk. In the meantime I am posting here because I would like some feedback from the many expert users here. Thanks in advance...

Error logs in event viewer indicated Dimension Pro to be the problem, causing most crashes (but not all...realguitar caused one and the others just seemed to be Sonar PLT without indication to anything further). I have a bunch of dmp files I can't read.

I ran latencymon which advised me to disable CPU throttling. I did this...no change.
I deleted the AUD file...no change.
I clean installed Dimension Pro, as per this article;

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013238/Clean-Install-Dimension-Pro-for-Dimension-Pro-1-5-full-installer

...all to no avail.

All drivers are up to date as far as I am aware, and I have the latest update for Sonar PLT.

To be honest, since I upgraded from Sonar 7 to Professional and then Platinum last year I have had endless trouble. My PC shop cannot find anything wrong with my PC and I am getting to the point where I feel I need to do a clean OS install (which I dread as I have a lot of music software to reinstall...at 2mb download speeds that's going to take forever!).

Is there anything I haven't tried yet?

CPU: Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS® Z170-P: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
GRAPHICS: 4GB AMD RADEON™ R9 380X
RAM: 32GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz
STORAGE:
Disk 1 = 500GB Samsung 750 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
Disk 2 = 2TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
PROCESSOR COOLINGNoctua NH-D15S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
AUDIO INTERFACE: Steinberg UR22

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/07 19:50:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Merwyn 2016/05/09 08:46:54
Usually BSOD are hardware related. Are the OS and firmware update to date?
Details about the make/model of the audio interface and session settings (driver mode, sample rate, bit depth, buffer settings), may be useful.

Tech support is the best resource when it comes to deciphering dmp files.

Any particular DPro program involved? Sometimes knowing the program name can help.
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/07 21:57:13 (permalink)
I used Win 7x64 for a long time but had SP's up to date. You could always create a restore point and install the Service packs-I think 3 was the last one. Couldn't hurt.

But also, I had some issues (not BSOD) with Dim pro quite a few times-years ago in Win 7x64 Pro.
Now on Win 8.1x64 for last couple of years. But ever since I got rapture Pro I don't - Still have Dim Pro installed but rapture Pro is what I use. Dim Pro is an old program -  I did get in onthe $79 upgrade to rapture Pro way back-not sure what it is now. Dim Pro is incorporated i8n rapture Pro. I still use a few Dim Pro basses, but go thru thru Rapture Pro to get there.

Hope you get it sorted out sooner than later.

Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/07 22:32:15 (permalink)
I don't want to wine, but since I updated to Platinum, I have been having a bunch of Sonar not responding mesages and Sonar has not been responding.   Right in the middle of audio recording sessions,  Right in the middle of recording piano parts.  Right in the middle of  Mixing most of the time.   

Windows 10 64 bit with i5  Hazwell Processor, 32 GB of RAM,  Sonar should not be freezing and displaying the message "not Responding" several times during a session.   Mixing and inserting plugins and moving quickly is what I though caused the problem, but it's Sonar in General.

Sonar 2.2XL never a problem
Sonar3  Never a problem
Sonar 4 Never a problem
Sonar 6 Never Problem
Sonar 7 Never a problem
Sonar 8 to 8.5 The best ever
Sonar X1 Not Bad
Sonar X2 started Crashing
Sonar X3 crashed  a good deal
Sonar Platinum Crashes every time I use it that I'm thinking about a back up DAW.

I've used Sonar so long, I don't want to learn a new DAW Software product, however,  the freezing is killing me.  I don't receive BOD'S but mainly freezing.
Bakers please figure why so many people are complaining about the crashing and freezing.

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/07 22:51:38 (permalink)
I had this exact issue until a comprehensive virus scan found and removed some malware. I also had the same thing happen after a Windows update that removing and reinstalling the device drivers for my audio interface took care of.

I do hope you find the problem. Sonar runs well on my machine with no issues now.

post edited by kevinwal - 2016/05/08 00:15:30

Kevin Walsh
My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
256GB SSD, 2TB HD
Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
MOTU 8Pre Interface
Bluegrasser
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/07 23:45:01 (permalink)
I think it's your video card/drivers.
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/08 00:20:17 (permalink)
Here's some tips that really helped me reduce these issues:

1. Defrag monthly
2. Clean Picture Cache routinely
3. After saving 10+ versions of a project, start over with a new one
4. Turn off the internet (no connection - no antivirus)
5. Keep the OS hard drive free space @ 20% or greater.
6. Cake's Windows Optimization Guide ***They really should advertise this one more!***
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/08 00:26:06 (permalink)
BSOD are almost always hardware issues but who knows, could be dim pro.
I myself have not had a crash since last year. ive had 2 sonar not responding but then eventually they caught up and went away, recovered from them.

what audio interface are you using ?

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

JayCee99
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 353
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/08 02:35:56 (permalink)
I also have experienced numerous crashes and hangs with Sonar Platinum.  I've had them when swapping one VSTi for another while running the transport, but I've also just had them randomly.  It's unfortunate because I really like the interface but honestly I do not have any crashes with any of the other DAW's I've tried.  I know most people report that it's super-stable on their system, so I may just be unlucky with it.

Sonar Platinum
Audio Interface: Focusrite 18i8 ASIO Interface 
Keys: Korg Kronos 88, Alesis VI25
Windows 8.1 x64 Laptop, 8GB RAM, i7 CPU
M@
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 221
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/08 03:01:43 (permalink)
Since Platinum and DimPro/Z3TA being vs3 had problems. As I thought that my change to win10 (clean install) might be the cause I did a win8.1 clean install.....still problems.

Tracking: Sonar Platinum (X3 Producer, X2 studio, X1 expanded, 8.3) (64bit)
System: Win10 Pro (64bit), Asus  P8Z77 V Le Plus, I7-3770k, 16GB Ram, SSD System drive, Raid1 Recording & Backup drive, VS-700 Set, TC Konnekt 48
Instruments: Roland Juno Stage, Kawai CA5, Washburn X50Pro, Blackstar-One100, Merida,...
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/08 03:38:10 (permalink)
kevinwal
I had this exact issue until a comprehensive virus scan found and removed some malware.

Which tool to you recommend to scan for such viruses? Not every one catches all ... and it should be possible to uninstall without leaving anything behind after the scan ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/08 03:40:28 (permalink)
Bluegrasser
I think it's your video card/drivers.

That's also what I had thought. I had issues with nVidia which made me replace the card and use a different vendor (but every PC system is different in that respect)

However, it makes sense to manually check for graphic card driver updates - mine (despite working) was outdated by almost 2 yrs ... time flies

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
MacFurse
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 324
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/08 05:51:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2016/05/08 17:26:12
Jesse G
I don't want to wine, but since I updated to Platinum, I have been having a bunch of Sonar not responding mesages and Sonar has not been responding.   Right in the middle of audio recording sessions,  Right in the middle of recording piano parts.  Right in the middle of  Mixing most of the time.   

Windows 10 64 bit with i5  Hazwell Processor, 32 GB of RAM,  Sonar should not be freezing and displaying the message "not Responding" several times during a session.   Mixing and inserting plugins and moving quickly is what I though caused the problem, but it's Sonar in General.

Sonar 2.2XL never a problem
Sonar3  Never a problem
Sonar 4 Never a problem
Sonar 6 Never Problem
Sonar 7 Never a problem
Sonar 8 to 8.5 The best ever
Sonar X1 Not Bad
Sonar X2 started Crashing
Sonar X3 crashed  a good deal
Sonar Platinum Crashes every time I use it that I'm thinking about a back up DAW.

I've used Sonar so long, I don't want to learn a new DAW Software product, however,  the freezing is killing me.  I don't receive BOD'S but mainly freezing.
Bakers please figure why so many people are complaining about the crashing and freezing.

Win10 and GTX750 card !!  I am confident you will find this to be a driver problem. Install Nividia's latest driver for your card manually and leave everything else unticked. If you have GeForce experience installed, remove that too.

There is tons of stuff on forums relating to problems with the drivers and win10. You may have to revert back to an earlier driver to get things working but 3 new drivers were issued Feb/Mar and I found the last one fixed most problems. Symptoms for me were almost exactly what you are describing. Cheers. Dave.

Platinum. i7 4771 3.5ghz. ECU H87 mobo with 3 monitor support. 16gb Ripjaws 1600mhz. Focusrite 18i20. 2 x 250gb Samsung EVO SSD's OP/Programs. 2x1TB Seagate Baracuda sata3 data drives. 200gb sata2 bootable drive for online and downloading only. Seagate 2tb USB 3.0 backup drive.  2x27in monitors. Rode K2 valve mic. Sontronics STC-1 pair. Studio Projects B1 condenser. SM58B. SM57B. Presonus Eureka Preamp.
MacFurse
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/08 05:54:50 (permalink)
Merwyn
Hello everybody

I am suffering Sonar crashes and BSOD over and over again. Ever since I upgraded from Sonar 7 to Professional and then Platinum my DAW seems, quite frankly, ill! I have all but given up hoping to ever compose music again!

First, I have submitted a support ticket to Cakewalk. In the meantime I am posting here because I would like some feedback from the many expert users here. Thanks in advance...

Error logs in event viewer indicated Dimension Pro to be the problem, causing most crashes (but not all...realguitar caused one and the others just seemed to be Sonar PLT without indication to anything further). I have a bunch of dmp files I can't read.

I ran latencymon which advised me to disable CPU throttling. I did this...no change.
I deleted the AUD file...no change.
I clean installed Dimension Pro, as per this article;

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013238/Clean-Install-Dimension-Pro-for-Dimension-Pro-1-5-full-installer

...all to no avail.

All drivers are up to date as far as I am aware, and I have the latest update for Sonar PLT.

To be honest, since I upgraded from Sonar 7 to Professional and then Platinum last year I have had endless trouble. My PC shop cannot find anything wrong with my PC and I am getting to the point where I feel I need to do a clean OS install (which I dread as I have a lot of music software to reinstall...at 2mb download speeds that's going to take forever!).

Is there anything I haven't tried yet?

You have the same card. GTX750.  See my last post. cheers. Dave.
  edit.  sorry. you have win7, but I think the coincidence is still too great. Check your drivers and backdate if you have to, to get things working. 
post edited by MacFurse - 2016/05/08 06:17:14

Platinum. i7 4771 3.5ghz. ECU H87 mobo with 3 monitor support. 16gb Ripjaws 1600mhz. Focusrite 18i20. 2 x 250gb Samsung EVO SSD's OP/Programs. 2x1TB Seagate Baracuda sata3 data drives. 200gb sata2 bootable drive for online and downloading only. Seagate 2tb USB 3.0 backup drive.  2x27in monitors. Rode K2 valve mic. Sontronics STC-1 pair. Studio Projects B1 condenser. SM58B. SM57B. Presonus Eureka Preamp.
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/08 07:16:50 (permalink)
Is your Windows maintenance up to date?

Are you sure you are loading 64-bit versions of plugins?  (maybe some left over 32-bit ones from the past - this could be a problem).

Does it crash as soon as a particular project gets loaded?  OR, is it happening in a brand new project, where the first thing you load is Dimension Pro?

Was Dimension Pro ever authorized?

If you load Sonar in its 'Safe Mode' for that project, and tell it to skip loading Dimension Pro, but let it load everything else, does the project run properly, or does it still fail?

Here is a link to some helpful documentation from Sonar (past version of X3 but it still works the same), on getting a project to launch in Sonar in Safe Mode:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR%20X3&language=3&help=Troubleshooting.05.html

Does it still crash if, prior to launching Sonar for the project that crashes, you first temporarily suspend or exit from your antivirus software?  (if testing this, do NOT access the internet with your antivirus software suspended or otherwise not running, but it's OK to be offline and launch Sonar for this test).

Let's start with the above, and if we keep weeding things out, we will get this sorted out.

By the way, IF you load the project in Safe Mode, and tell it NOT to load any effects plugins, and your project finally loads up, you could save the project off with Save As under a new name, to at least preserve your recorded data, in case you have to rebuild the project. 

Also, PLEASE NOTE: Once you launch Sonar with a project - opened in Sonar's Safe Mode, make sure you do NOT accidentally do a Save of the project - if you have skipped the loading of your plugins.  Otherwise, if you WERE to accidentally save it, it would save it without those plugins (if memory serves) - so DO be careful.

You could also just copy the entire project folder and save it under a new folder name (and new project name) PRIOR to messing around with Safe Mode or other approaches - just to make SURE you won't somehow lose your project and its data and presets, and whatever is in it.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/08 17:21:57 (permalink)
MacFurse

Win10 and GTX750 card !!  I am confident you will find this to be a driver problem. Install Nividia's latest driver for your card manually and leave everything else unticked. If you have GeForce experience installed, remove that too.

There is tons of stuff on forums relating to problems with the drivers and win10. You may have to revert back to an earlier driver to get things working but 3 new drivers were issued Feb/Mar and I found the last one fixed most problems. Symptoms for me were almost exactly what you are describing. Cheers. Dave.

Good catch...I have the 970, but have also noted weird stuff with the latest Nvidia drivers (not sure if this will apply to you though).

I was going to throw this into another post, but even with only loading the Graphics Drivers and Physx software, I was noting issues. I ended up backing to 359.06 yesterday (clean installation) with only the above selected because there is an issue in 364.72 (at least on my 970).

Premiere Pro was having more issues than SONAR was actually, so I installed the newest version of K-Lite's Codec Pack (mega). Even doing the "normal" installation, when it is installed it analyzes "known bad" codecs on the machine and flagged SIX that I had removed months ago! Even removing them did not fix the issue, but rolling back Nvidia's drivers did. Note: You do not need to install K-Lite, but I did just to get "known bad" codecs off my machine, and is the only installation I know that checks them.

Check your C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver folder, and look for earlier versions of the driver. Unless you moved/installed them elsewhere, the installers should still be in place. For me, the 359.06 driver is the "last known good one." Drill into folders until you find a "setup.exe" file.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Ricebug
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 181
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/08 18:10:37 (permalink)
I too, am having nothing but trouble with Sonar Platinum. Been using it for a couple of years without problem. All of a sudden, nothing I've created will load. Caveat: nothing using some Kontakt and XLN instruments. Sometimes the song loads up fine. Then, when freezing a Kontakt synth, Sonar crashes.

I've also submitted crash reports to Cakewalk, Native Instruments, and XLN Audio. NI recommended a re-install. Didn't work. XLN had me try a few things. Didn't work (even when attempting an uninstall of the XLN installer, XLN crashed!)

I rolled back to the Manchester version and everything seemed to work fine. Upgraded to the latest version and the old crash problem returned. Then I completely uninstalled Sonar, rebooted, and reinstalled. No good.

I hate to say, "could-a, would-a, should-a," but I "should-a" listened and bought a Mac, installed Pro Tools, and not have to worry about this Duck Tape and baling wire OS called "Windows." I was thinking about giving up the music altogether, since I'm in my 60's. Looks like the decision's been made for me.

Sonar Platinum / AMD 5 ghz 8-core CPU w/8 GB RAM / nVidia GTX-780 graphics / Roland A-500Pro MIDI keyboard / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface / Komplete 9 Ultimate / Melodyne Essential / Digitech Vocalist Live Pro/ Roland MSGS synth module / Rode NT2 microphone / an understanding wife
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/08 18:43:08 (permalink)
Ricebug
I too, am having nothing but trouble with Sonar Platinum. Been using it for a couple of years without problem. All of a sudden, nothing I've created will load. Caveat: nothing using some Kontakt and XLN instruments. Sometimes the song loads up fine. Then, when freezing a Kontakt synth, Sonar crashes.

I've also submitted crash reports to Cakewalk, Native Instruments, and XLN Audio. NI recommended a re-install. Didn't work. XLN had me try a few things. Didn't work (even when attempting an uninstall of the XLN installer, XLN crashed!)

I rolled back to the Manchester version and everything seemed to work fine. Upgraded to the latest version and the old crash problem returned. Then I completely uninstalled Sonar, rebooted, and reinstalled. No good.

I hate to say, "could-a, would-a, should-a," but I "should-a" listened and bought a Mac, installed Pro Tools, and not have to worry about this Duck Tape and baling wire OS called "Windows." I was thinking about giving up the music altogether, since I'm in my 60's. Looks like the decision's been made for me.

you might want to read the previous comments.
I see in your signature your using a nVidia GTX-780 graphics card.
read Macfurces' comments about driver issues.
he was referring to the GTX-750, possibly the GTX-780 would benefit from the same.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Ricebug
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/08 19:13:44 (permalink)
I did see that comment on the nVidia card. I rolled back the driver, but am still having crashes.

Sonar keeps telling me that "A serious error has occurred, etc," and it points to the kontakt.dll. That kontakt directory was newly re-installed and all the plugins are good, according to CW's plugin manager.

So why would the nVidia driver affect a plugin dll?

EDIT: Rolled the nVidia driver back to the earliest one I had and still have errors resulting from the kontakt plugin.
post edited by Ricebug - 2016/05/08 19:47:44

Sonar Platinum / AMD 5 ghz 8-core CPU w/8 GB RAM / nVidia GTX-780 graphics / Roland A-500Pro MIDI keyboard / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface / Komplete 9 Ultimate / Melodyne Essential / Digitech Vocalist Live Pro/ Roland MSGS synth module / Rode NT2 microphone / an understanding wife
BobbyT
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/08 20:03:51 (permalink)
i had similar problems on my machine i found that my Nvidia gtx500 series video card and drivers caused the problems,i started using the on board video and no more problem.
Jesse G
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/08 21:39:29 (permalink)
chuckebaby
I myself have not had a crash since last year. ive had 2 sonar not responding but then eventually they caught up and went away, recovered from them.

Audio I/O is Roland Octa-Capture with latest drivers.   I am using Window 10.  The video card drivers are from Geforce directly. The computer never Blue Screens, it just freezes while using Sonar Platinum.   If the problem is only with Sonar and no program, then I assume Sonar Platinum is not working properly with something on the computer. 

I can use T-Racks without problems, IKmultimedia Ampeg, and other software that can run independent of Sonar, however, when I use them as plugins within Sonar, Sonar will Freeze.  

It's not the computer, it's not the parts, it's Sonar somehow.  

Peace,

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
deswind
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 952
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/08 22:08:03 (permalink)
There was a long period of time where I had a lot of problems with the video card and my Lynx drivers- until I went to Radeon cards. I just have not had good luck with Nvidia.  But everyone's components are different.  I doubt it is Platinum because it runs perfectly for me and actually now better than 8.5.3.  (Though I miss the color options.)
kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/08 23:03:14 (permalink)
Rob[atSound-Rehab]
kevinwal
I had this exact issue until a comprehensive virus scan found and removed some malware.

Which tool to you recommend to scan for such viruses? Not every one catches all ... and it should be possible to uninstall without leaving anything behind after the scan ...

I used ESET and BitDefender. ESET has a demo version that will scan at no cost.

Kevin Walsh
My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
256GB SSD, 2TB HD
Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
MOTU 8Pre Interface
MacFurse
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/09 05:50:56 (permalink)
Jesse G
chuckebaby

Audio I/O is Roland Octa-Capture with latest drivers.   I am using Window 10.  The video card drivers are from Geforce directly. The computer never Blue Screens, it just freezes while using Sonar Platinum.   If the problem is only with Sonar and no program, then I assume Sonar Platinum is not working properly with something on the computer. 

I can use T-Racks without problems, IKmultimedia Ampeg, and other software that can run independent of Sonar, however, when I use them as plugins within Sonar, Sonar will Freeze.  

It's not the computer, it's not the parts, it's Sonar somehow.  

I believed exactly what you did Jesse. It took a bunch of boffins at Cyberlink's forum to convince me that it was my drivers. There was an update to win10 earlier this year that triggered the onflow of disruption. Powerdirector for Cyberlink, Adobe Premier Pro, plus heaps of others.  I was going nuts because not only couldn't I get any vid app to remain stable and not crash, Sonar was doing the same. This stuff is way over my head and I don't pretend to understand, but it comes down to the way program's use the graphics. The third, and last, driver from Nividia fixed my problems, and a lot of other people's, who were using a multitude of GTX cards. It seems the higher end cards like the 970 were better off, but still had issues. I wasted so much time and money on this exercise it has left a sour taste in my mouth. I got things working, but I removed the card altogether in the end, built a new machine for video, and deleted everything off my PC not necessary to run my DAW, and returned to onboard graphics only, and have not had one failure since. Unless you count some un-inspired guitar takes that is !!!!

I know this may not be the answer to this thread, or your problems, just something worth considering. I often answer threads on forums recommending doing away with graphics cards for DAW's. A good motherboard with multiple monitor support is all that is required unless you want to do other things, and win10, Intel, and SONAR, seem to quite harmonious. You can sort the driver problems I believe, with some patience, but it's not worth the effort. IMHO.

edit --  my GTX card is responsible for my avatar lol!!!
post edited by MacFurse - 2016/05/09 06:12:17

MacFurse
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/09 05:53:53 (permalink)
deswind
There was a long period of time where I had a lot of problems with the video card and my Lynx drivers- until I went to Radeon cards. I just have not had good luck with Nvidia.  But everyone's components are different.  I doubt it is Platinum because it runs perfectly for me and actually now better than 8.5.3.  (Though I miss the color options.)

And this a reflection of just so many people. We're not gaming !!! So we are not catered for. It is almost that simple.

Jesse G
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/09 08:26:23 (permalink)
So is it the consensus that most of you think I should check out the graphics card first?  It's funny that only Sonar Platinum would be Freezing because of the graphics card.   But the same Graphics crd wouldn't interfere with anything else on the computer. 

This computer only host music affiliated programs only and MS Word 2013 only. I haven't installed any games, any crap, I only have my Ethernet cable plugged in when I am authorizing a plugin, using Control Center, or updating my Symantec AV.  

I reply to the Sonar Forums or search the Internet via my non-DAW related laptop.  The only other problem with my DAW was a windows 10 update that made my XLNAudio addictive Drums 2 and Addictive Keys software revert to Demo mode.  I had to go to the XLNAudio site and remove the computer from their site and then re-activate it again to obtain a new computer ID number.

I need a drink,  whose got the good caffeinated coffee.   LOL

Peace,

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/09 08:28:29 (permalink)
kevinwal
Rob[atSound-Rehab]
kevinwal

I used ESET and BitDefender. ESET has a demo version that will scan at no cost.

Thanks for the info

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

Ricebug
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/09 08:33:24 (permalink)
I don't know what happened, but when I woke up this morning at O-Dark thirty, I fired up the machine and was getting ready to wipe the C: drive. But I said, "Ah, I'll try one more time." Opened up a piece in Sonar that had never opened before. I was shocked. So I tried freezing one of the Kontakt synths, which also always caused Sonar to lock up when the problem started. SUCCESS! Quick! Delete the offending synth, re-save the song.

Anyways, I've tested more stuff and everything seems fixed. The only thing I did last night before shutting down was deleting and uninstalling XLN Audio/Addictive Drummer 2, since that too was causing the same crash.

We will wait. We shall see.

Merwyn
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/09 08:36:50 (permalink)
scook
Usually BSOD are hardware related. Are the OS and firmware update to date?
Details about the make/model of the audio interface and session settings (driver mode, sample rate, bit depth, buffer settings), may be useful.

Tech support is the best resource when it comes to deciphering dmp files.

Any particular DPro program involved? Sometimes knowing the program name can help.

Many thanks for your reply Scook.

The OS is up to date. Firmware though...I am not very technical minded and although I've browsed ASRock website for updates I really don't know what I am doing so I've left alone.

Audio Interface;

Yamaha Steinberg UR22
Sample Rate: 44.1Khz
Buffer size: 11.6msec / 512 samples
Driver mode: ASIO
Bit depth: 24

I have been using Dim Pro's 'Gilmour' on the troublesome project...haven't had a chance to test others yet.

STORAGE:

Merwyn
Re: Sonar Platinum Crash after Crash after Crash! 2016/05/09 08:38:16 (permalink)
stratman70
I used Win 7x64 for a long time but had SP's up to date. You could always create a restore point and install the Service packs-I think 3 was the last one. Couldn't hurt.

But also, I had some issues (not BSOD) with Dim pro quite a few times-years ago in Win 7x64 Pro.
Now on Win 8.1x64 for last couple of years. But ever since I got rapture Pro I don't - Still have Dim Pro installed but rapture Pro is what I use. Dim Pro is an old program -  I did get in onthe $79 upgrade to rapture Pro way back-not sure what it is now. Dim Pro is incorporated i8n rapture Pro. I still use a few Dim Pro basses, but go thru thru Rapture Pro to get there.

Hope you get it sorted out sooner than later.

Thanks stratman

I've checked the service pack for win7 (64) pro and there only seems to be service pack 1 available, which I have.

STORAGE:

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1