Sonar VS-100

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
PaPi
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1032
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 16:28:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic
Papi, i think some are trying to point out that you cannot make a decision on something you do not know about.

The specs had been out for a while when I posted my criticism. The only thing I didn't know was how it looked like (irrelevant to me.)
yevster
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 761
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 16:30:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: PaPi
Whatever, think what you want. I posted it to stress how some people think Cakewalk is a religion or a political party and act as partisan sheeple.

I think they're a satanic cult. That's why they always wear black.
aj
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1084
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 16:57:48 (permalink)
Hi Brandon

Actually I think this is a great product. You guys really seem to be getting together with Roland to build things that will appeal to MUSICIANS and not TECHIES. I appreciate some of the members of this forum love stripping down their computers to the bare motherboard armed only with their own teeth (and I've been in the hardware/software business for more than 30 years, so there are times where I've done the same thing)

The point is though that when I'm in 'create music' mode I HATE all the complexity that computers introduce. This is why I have two hardware synths; no matter what, they will always be up and running for me if I just want to noodle around with ideas

I currently use a minidisc recorder to capture inspiration on the fly but something like this would be really attractive - being able to record immediately is EXACTLY what musicians want.

I work in the software business and I'm proud of the products we create. It's a different line of business - healthcare - but it matters to me to get things right and, yes, we have customers who complain bitterly and are very negative, as well as customers who are positive and supportive.

What I admire is how you guys get down and dirty in these forums. Sometimes I cringe at the abuse that gets flung back but I appreciate that's life and some people have strong opinions. The market will decide. You made a good decision to unbundle the VS-700 control surface and you have an interesting product here that may well appeal to people who just want to get on and get music down. So let's see how it goes.

PS: I do hope you've lent Sound on Sound a VS-700. I am so looking forward to their review, as pretty much the only unbiased music magazine in the world. I lust after one but lack the cash, alas. Ah well....

Jon Bryson
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 377
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 17:16:54 (permalink)

Wow, pretty incredible the sheer hatred I gathered because I dared to express my not-so-positive opinion...

It wasn't because you dared to express your not-so-positive opinion, it was because you expressed your UNREASONED not-so-positive opinion. Then when someone called you on the facts you started in with the ad hom attacks and gave up all pretense of a factually based discussion.
Jon Bryson
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 17:23:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: aj

The point is though that when I'm in 'create music' mode I HATE all the complexity that computers introduce. This is why I have two hardware synths; no matter what, they will always be up and running for me if I just want to noodle around with ideas

Ditto to that, nothing I hate worse than troubleshooting my PC in the heat of a creative moment. Been down that road and it only made me want to break things.

I keep my Fantom keyboard close at hand and can switch over at a moments notice and use it's sequencer if need be. Not my preferred way to work but I get the ideas down.

I do put in a lot of work up front to try to get a stable system but once it's there I try not to mess with it too much.

Jon
rstollen
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1561
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 17:51:53 (permalink)
Papi - I see that you make several posts on this forum. At this point, you ought to be concerned about your credibility for the long term.

8.5.1 PE, i7 920, GA-EX58-UD4P, 6gb Corsair DDR3, 2 x Barracuda 500gb, HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, XP Pro SP3, dual 24" monitors, Axiom 61, Korg Triton Pro, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, VG-99, Yamaha MSP5, Fostex PM0.5
eight08
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 18:20:31 (permalink)
All I want is a decent querty keyboard that has some knobs and buttons above the function keys for controlling plug-ins. If it had some transport controls and a fader that'd be OK too.
PaPi
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 18:32:21 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Jon Bryson

Wow, pretty incredible the sheer hatred I gathered because I dared to express my not-so-positive opinion...

It wasn't because you dared to express your not-so-positive opinion, it was because you expressed your UNREASONED not-so-positive opinion. Then when someone called you on the facts you started in with the ad hom attacks and gave up all pretense of a factually based discussion.

Would you please quote my alleged ad hominem attacks?
I only received them.
post edited by PaPi - 2009/04/01 18:40:15
Jon Bryson
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 18:56:22 (permalink)

I only received them.

Responding to Brandon with "your opinion is biased" - what does 'opinion' have to do with the specs he was quoting? Since when are the specs a matter of opinion? Unless of course you are implying he's just flat out lying which is all I could gather from your reply, which I think Brandon and just about everyone else here picked up on as well, hence Brandon's response that this was a low blow.

But what do we know, we're just a bunch of 'Sheeple'
CJaysMusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30423
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 19:02:42 (permalink)
Behhhhhhh behhhhhhhhhhh Beeehhhhhhhhhhh

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
PaPi
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 19:06:59 (permalink)

I only received them.

Responding to Brandon with "your opinion is biased" - what does 'opinion' have to do with the specs he was quoting? Since when are the specs a matter of opinion? Unless of course you are implying he's just flat out lying which is all I could gather from your reply, which I think Brandon and just about everyone else here picked up on as well, hence Brandon's response that this was a low blow.

But what do we know, we're just a bunch of 'Sheeple'

It's because specs had been made public BEFORE I made my criticism that the argument that I don't know what I'm talking about has no merit.
All I said is that it's a very overpriced item for what it offers (and that was assuming the price quoted was correct) and that you can get similar performance from an Alphatrack + a Fast Track Pro at 1/3 of the price. Because of that, I've been targeted by the worst ad hominem attacks, implying that I either have anger or mental problems, or both. You see how justified was my claim that some people here think Cakewalk is a religion or a political party, because they behave exactly like partisan hacks who mercilessly slam anyone who dares to criticize their god or their politician.
But go on, you're only proving my point...
post edited by PaPi - 2009/04/01 19:15:19
Oaf_Topik
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2105
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 19:13:48 (permalink)
It's because specs had been made public BEFORE I made my criticism that the argument that I don't know what I'm talking about has no merit.
All I said is that it's a very overpriced item for what it offers (and that was assuming the price quoted was correct) and that you can get similar performance from an Alphatrack + a Fast Track Pro at 1/3 of the price. Because of that, I've been targeted by the worst ad hominem attacks, implying that I either have anger or mental problems, or both. You see how justified was my claim that some people here think Cakewalk is a religion or a political party, because they behave exactly like partisan hacks who mercilessly slam anyone who dares to criticize their god or their politician.

Well, I guess you were right about one thing, when you said you didn't care... HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA!!!!!

noldar12
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1075
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 19:14:35 (permalink)
One thing though, for use as a front end on a computer (when also using a slave computer to play samples) an ADAT port would have been really helpful, though that may not be part of the intended target market.

From the description it sounded like there were a total of only four 1/4" inputs available, two straight quarter inch, and two via the combi jacks, or am I missing something?

Jim
Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 19:15:02 (permalink)
Let's go back to the subject and see behind this VS100 !!!

It's clearly an indication of the strategy direction of the group (Cake roland edirol) so , let's make some constructive critics to be heard and served !!!

I know that the all in one is the hype , but it will be cool (for us, not for their productions cost) to have those kinda stuff sperated ....the vs 700 console is out in solo , let's have a small controller for on the road control or pre mix !!
My plan is to have a vs 700 in the studio and her little sister on the road !!! who's with me ?
post edited by Zo - 2009/04/01 19:22:27

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

candlesayshi
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 694
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 19:17:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Zo

My plan is to have a vs 700 in the studio and her little sister on the road !!! who's with me ?

I am. Probably, at least. Though I doubt I'm getting the whole VS700 system. I'm extremely pleased about the VS700C being solo though. It's just about the exact reason why I'm with you.

Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 19:21:50 (permalink)

In fact i find the vs100 crazy (i mean great) but it would be great for me years ago when i was on the road or moving from NO to Baton rouge to ATL ect...and makin takes with mc and Beat makers .....but now i just don't need all the features , but i will have defintly a look at it in person to judge (especially , the control side !)
post edited by Zo - 2009/04/01 19:29:20

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Mooch4056
Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7494
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 19:23:06 (permalink)

It's because specs had been made public BEFORE I made my criticism that the argument

Well a few HUGE spec details were mentioned that make it much different than a alpahtarck and fast track combo -- such as recording onto an SD card so you dont need a computer... the eq and effects and compression that is built in -- are two pretty big differences in just what alphatrackfast track do

and this is where I think you lost everyone ....

becuase instead of just stating some clear reason on why you dont like it ... u pumped out your chest and said why cant i have an opinion

if your opinion is that its just an alpahtrck and a fast track -- so be it ... but clearly there are spec differences in the two ... how or why you deny it?? -- I dunno thats ur call

but if can clearly state why you dont like it -- such as -- ehh its just something i would never use... or I have what I need-- or its over priced for what I think it does .. well then thats fine .....

People were just clearly stating the differences of the v-100 and alpahrack/fast track

and you just well ...stomped your feet rather than saying .. "well its just doesnt look like something I could use: -- which I think is how you feel .. and is ok ....

and better than acting like a fool

that being said ... things like sarcasm and emotion are always mis interpeted in type on forums -- no matter how many smiley faces u stick up

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

PaPi
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 19:29:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mooch4056

becuase instead of just stating some clear reason on why you dont like it ... u pumped out your chest and said why cant i have an opinion

How exactly I "pumped out my chest"?
I'm still waiting for someone to quote my alleged "ad hominems."
All I said is that Cakewalk employees don't exactly offer an unbiased opinion because of obvious conflict of interest. Which, of course, prompted even more abuse.
PaPi
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 19:31:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Oaf_Topik

Well, I guess you were right about one thing, when you said you didn't care... HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA!!!!!

Yeah, I still don't care what you and the others who attacked me with ad hominems think. But I care about proving my point and you are helping me a lot. Thank you.
vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 19:34:59 (permalink)

Basically an Alphatrack + an M-Audio Fast Track Pro at THREE TIMES the combined price...

Alphatrack MSRP $249.00
M-Audio Fast Track Pro MSRP $299.95
V100 MSRP = £599

£599.00 = $794.21

Please explain how this is "THREE TIMES the combined price". Perhaps this is why people jump on you. Your rudeness combined with your lack of understanding or the product and even you own words is somehow a turnoff. Go look up the exchange rate, count to ten, think a little about what you are saying and try again.
PaPi
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 19:41:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: vintagevibe

Basically an Alphatrack + an M-Audio Fast Track Pro at THREE TIMES the combined price...

Alphatrack MSRP $249.00
V100 MSRP = £599

£599.00 = $794.21

Please explain how this is "THREE TIMES the combined price". Perhaps this is why people jump on you. Your rudeness combined with your lack of understanding or the product and even you own words is somehow a turnoff. Go look up the exchange rate, count to ten, think a little about what you are saying and try again.

Neither the Alphatrack nor the FTP are new products and they can be bought at heavy discounts.
You can get both of them for around $300. If you don't believe me, just go to EBay and use the search button.
But you're right, it's not three times, it's roughly TWO AND A HALF TIMES... Big difference!!
Oaf_Topik
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2105
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 19:42:14 (permalink)
Yeah, I still don't care what you and the others who attacked me with ad hominems think. But I care about proving my point and you are helping me a lot. Thank you.

Whatever you say, Captain Quigg...

AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 19:47:19 (permalink)
The v100 looks like an interesting beast. I know a lot of people want however many faders, but one, if it switches to the track being worked on via focus, should be enough. I've managed to get along without one here at home fine (tho Sonar's automation points are a different story).

If the knobs switch as well as the v700 reportedly does, that would be another great point.

My biggest complaint (and it is impossible for me to read the writing on the unit) is the abundance of RCA plugs that festoon the back. Just for the pro look I'd prefer 1/4 in. I have plenty of RCA to 1/4in cables for my old Tascam reel to reel, but would prefer balanced and new cables. But if it makes editing/mixing easier and the sound is up to snuff ....

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
vintagevibe
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 19:55:11 (permalink)

Alphatrack MSRP $249.00
V100 MSRP = £599

£599.00 = $794.21

Neither the Alphatrack nor the FTP are new products and they can be bought at heavy discounts.
You can get both of them for around $300. If you don't believe me, just go to EBay and use the search button.
But you're right, it's not three times, it's roughly TWO AND A HALF TIMES... Big difference!!

We are talking about MSRP, not street price or used equipment. The Alphatrack/Fast Track Pro costs $550.00. The V100 costs $795.00. This is a little more than 30% difference. That is far from 2.5 times the price. This is a big difference.
strikinglyhandsome1
Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7224
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 19:57:21 (permalink)
I shudder to think what the threads will be like when people actually start using them

I'm off to Alphatrack
threads will be rife

post edited by strikinglyhandsome1 - 2009/04/01 20:04:36
PaPi
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 20:02:30 (permalink)

We are talking about MSRP, not street price or used equipment. The Alphatrack/Fast Track Pro costs $550.00. The V100 costs $795.00. This is a little more than 30% difference. That is far from 2.5 times the price. This is a big difference.

I'm talking about **REAL PRICES.** Any discussion on other kind of prices is fruitless.
Like I said, you can ACTUALLY get the two items I mentioned for $300.
Chances of the VS100 being discounted that much (or at all) are basically zero. And you know it's true.
Brandon Ryan [Roland]
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3458
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 20:09:17 (permalink)

I'm talking about **REAL PRICES.** Any discussion on other kind of prices is fruitless.
Chances of the VS100 being discounted that much (or at all) are basically zero. And you know it's true.

Estimated street price in USD for V-Studio 100 is currently $699.00 (could potentially change by shipping but that is current target). Any reputable authorized dealer I could find sells FTP and Alphatrack for $200 each minimum ($400 total). So it's not even twice the price, much less 2 1/2 or 3 times. Regardless, even if it was, the fact that the feature-sets are not at all comparable makes this a moot point to begin with.

(and nothing against Alphatrack or anything - it's a good product. It's just that V-Studio 100 is an entirely different product altogether especially when you factor in the software aspect, digital mixer, SD recorder, DSP effects, etc.)
post edited by Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk] - 2009/04/01 20:17:16

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
vintagevibe
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 20:17:28 (permalink)

"Real" prices do not include used equipment.
PaPi
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 20:18:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk]

Estimated street price in USD for V-Studio 100 is currently $699.00 (could potentially change by shipping but that is current target). Any reputable authorized dealer I could find sells FTP and Alphatrack for $200 each minimum ($400 total). So it's not even twice the price, much less 2 1/2 or 3 times. Regardless, even if it was, the fact that the feature-sets are not at all comparable makes this a moot point to begin with.

(and nothing against Alphatrack or anything - it's a good product. It's just that V-Studio 100 is an entirely different product altogether especially when you factor in the software aspect, digital mixer, SD recorder, DSP effects, etc.)

REALITY CHECK:

http://cgi.ebay.com/M-Audio-Fast-Track-Pro-WARRANTY-FastTrack-PRO-MAUDIO_W0QQitemZ360143625069QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item360143625069&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

http://www.proaudiosolutions.com/product-p/frontier-alphatrack.htm

Grand total: $328. And that's with a 20-second search. I'm sure I could do better than that if I really wanted to buy them...
PaPi
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/01 20:20:19 (permalink)

"Real" prices do not include used equipment.

Grasping for straws?

Did you look at my links? Used equipment? I don't think so. And that was the result of a 20-second search. I got my Alphatrack for a little over $150. BRAND NEW. Now you can call me a liar, if you think that makes your argument stronger...
post edited by PaPi - 2009/04/01 20:29:56
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1