Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 15:24:03 (permalink)
Scott Lee

Since its a american company, its safe to say they have input on design and a heavy hand in the mechanics of the software.
No it is not. I am not saying they don't have input and influence but the one does not follow the other. And anyway, Cakewalk is Japanese!

UnderTow

Music Miscreant
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 177
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 15:33:10 (permalink)
Scott Lee

Music Miscreant

And Ladysmith Black Mambazo want to use the garritan orchestra? 
And Madeleine Peyroux wants to use a NI New York grand. 

Oh, sorry, there's only your kind of music, right? :-) 

Actually I work for CBS studios in Studio City California. Our Todd A/O sound stage (where many movie/tv orchestral tracks were scored and recorded) was shut down due to home studio scoring tracks (which also reminds me that Sony Studio of which I do work for as well in culiver city california has also limited its scoring stages to very few sessions). I think its fair to assume "common" wasn't out of context MM regardless of genre.

Rock, dance, pop, country? I suspect most will also have a sequenced drum part, piano line overlay after the bands left, some humanized lush strings. if it quacks like a beat maker, its probably a beat maker.

Best,
Ah, my dear Scott, the demise of the major studio due to the DAW is something I'm well aware of. I've been a producer for 35 rears & over the past 10 I've seen so many of my favourites have to close... The Townhouse, Jacobs, Chocolate Factory, Roundhouse, Eden, & Ocean Way losing complex 2... the list goes on. Some, thankfully, still hang on, but by the skin of their teeth, like Rockfeild & Parr Street. 
Granted, the DAW isn't the only reason, but it's the main reason. 

Anyway, it appears we live in different worlds, as well as continents (most of the time). 
The last two albums I produced required no DAW 'embellisments' whatsoever. Even after the artists had left ;-)  
It was simply 'band' music.  

It's a big world out there. Lots of different things. Just open your eyes.  

50% of my work is done like this. 

80% of my work is either for record labels, publishers or managers. 

Oh, & Sonar is my home DAW, used for writing, where I use the beat makers, as you so eloquently refer to them, constantly.    

One last thing... Madeleine Peyroux & Ladysmith Black Mambazo, any idea who I was referring to? Seriously? Because, honestly, no beat maker, Scott. Not in your wildest dreams. Not that you directly said there was, but you did kinda infer, didn't you ;-) Ah, makes me smile. 

Kroneborge
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1300
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 15:35:42 (permalink)
Almost all companies of any size now have a sizable multi-national component, and in the future it will just be more so. 

Anyone that doens't understand this has no understanding of the modern business world.   Bright students can come from any country, go to almost any country for school, and then go work in a 3rd country.   None of that has any real bearing on the quality of the products that are created.

In fact, if you look at the percent of grad students in the science fields, a large and growing amount are all foreigners (apparently they take school seriously in other countries).

Mathew

Hip Hop
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

BEATZM1D10T
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 285
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 15:41:08 (permalink)
Crush

I personally believe that American engineers are the best in the world.

The Germans have historically been great inventors and have won the majority of Nobel Prizes I believe until the mid 1900's.

When it comes to software development, it's most important that the project is being led by Americans and the developers are basically not outsourced from the 3rd world.

Basically, if this was a German company heading the project, I think you would have seen the software come out a lot different.

Germans seem to like 'criptic process' and millions of mouse clicks. Germans like having a dozens of 'mouse tools'. The more the better. Makes the program look more powerful and well engineered. Supposedly if you get a disposable water cooler cup in Germany, there is 'ml' marking points on the side of it. As a home beer brewer myself, the German have all these crazy laws regarding beer purity etc. How high the glass is filled from the top.. all this crazy, criptic stuff.

Americans prefer 1 universal mouse button that does it all.

I think that's the big difference between the two.

(the 3rd world engineers have no place in this discussion and should never be associated with these sorts of projects. It doesn't matter who's heading the project it will turn into a disaster.. familiarity of X1.)

Most of the great American achievements in the past 100 years have been because of German Scientists. The atom bomb, the flying wing, moon landings, and our highway system have all been due to the achievements of German engineers. What is wrong with mL markings on a cup? Do you know ASIO is a German design? There's a reason why German cars are usually the safest on the road too. Again, you're beating the same dead horse that SONAR is being outsourced to the 3rd word. You're simply wrong.

Those beer purity laws are not crazy. They are there for a reason. The shape/size/volume/pour of the glass impacts the beer taste. The Germans take beer very seriously and most Americans simply do not have the knowledge to understand the finer characteristics and complexities of a good brew. It's akin to telling a Frenchman all sparkling wine is champagne.

You are painting broad brush strokes of what you think is a specifically culture based behavior. I'll tell you I don't prefer a universal mouse button that does everything. Does that make me un-American? I think not, as my family was here before it was these 'United States'. What you are really saying is you prefer a simple program to use. Not all of us are threatened or have our creativity stopped by complexities and you're just perpetuating the stereo type that Americans are unintelligent and crude.

I'm not going to say you're a racist as others have, because you aren't. You are showing shades of Xenophobia.
Tallsomeone
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 15:42:00 (permalink)
Crush, you come here and you meet the strongest concentration of contentious people I've ever encountered.  99% of the contention on the web happens right here!  That is a figure of speech, sphincter boys!

I get what you're saying, and it gives me a chance to say to those who've been asleep for eight years: Sonar has been buddying-up with loopsters for a long, long time!  Sure, you can use Sonar for more sophisticated things, but it has been the hip-hop DAW of choice and of sponsorship and the loop-city composing package for many a year.

Hell, my downloads of X1 failed over and over, with checksum errors and stalling of the server, and then once I got the thing to work, I noted that half the damned download was loops.  I don't patch loops together with Sonar!  I saw a kid doing that on a flight to L.A. with his laptop and some kind of Creative Labs stuff -- and he told his seat-mates that he was a music composer and producer.  Fruity Loop he was.

Good luck getting along here unless you persevere with the good folks and ignore the insecure ones.  Lots of good ones here, as you can see from portions of this thread.  But like any place, lots of e-cowards and authoritarians and just-plain-offensive types.

UnderTow
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 16:26:08 (permalink)
BEATZM1D10T

Those beer purity laws are not crazy. They are there for a reason. The shape/size/volume/pour of the glass impacts the beer taste. The Germans take beer very seriously and most Americans simply do not have the knowledge to understand the finer characteristics and complexities of a good brew. It's akin to telling a Frenchman all sparkling wine is champagne.
Not to distract from your other good points but these are two examples of national commercial protectionism and have nothing odo with engineering, quality or even taste. :-)

UnderTow
derFunkenstein
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 735
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 16:43:13 (permalink)
wormser

Just stumbled on this one.

The new Sonar X2?

I hope this is not where Roland / Cakewalk is headed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOSzxk654g4

Gina is cute BTW :)

That's....incredibly strange.  I thought for sure it was some sort of joke but then I found there's a link to it in the store, and adding it to my cart actually put it there.  I didn't want to go any farther than that.  

King Ben of Nopantsville
BEATZM1D10T
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 17:08:30 (permalink)
UnderTow

BEATZM1D10T

Not to distract from your other good points but these are two examples of national commercial protectionism and have nothing odo with engineering, quality or even taste. :-)

UnderTow

No, the shape, and style of the glass and the amount of air above the beer before it hits your mouth/nose will change the taste of the beverage. Same thing as having white or red wine glasses. The shape of the glass will swirl the beer differently and it will impact the taste.

You're not supposed to drink a pills out of a Belgian glass.

It's a science. There's a good reason why breweries will pair glasses for a specific brew or tell you to serve it at a specific temp. It tastes how it was intended to.
Legion
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1986
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 17:11:10 (permalink)
LOL I wanna jump in

When you said 99% use FL STudio, you lost me right there.

The MAJOR artists (beat makers included) I know don't even use FL Studio.

99% of the "25$ beat" beat-makers use FL. They then export it unmixed as a two-track and the rapper/singer better pray the vox fit...

And it's not only about the craftsmanship of the artist it's about the DAW as well, mixing in FL is horrible but it's great tool to do lots of other stuff and some of the generatos are really nice.

I have X1 in the closet but don't dare to install i before X1b... Love 8.5.3 and sticks with it until X1 seem more stable but I play around with FL as well and it's pretty fun and fast to get ideas down with.

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
UnderTow
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 17:34:16 (permalink)
BEATZM1D10T

No, the shape, and style of the glass and the amount of air above the beer before it hits your mouth/nose will change the taste of the beverage. Same thing as having white or red wine glasses. The shape of the glass will swirl the beer differently and it will impact the taste.

It's a science. There's a good reason why breweries will pair glasses for a specific brew or tell you to serve it at a specific temp. It tastes how it was intended to.
But the Reinheitsgebot laws are about the production of the beer and the laws about champagne are about the production method and the region in which one can make champagne and call it such. The laws are not about the glasses.

Btw, pils is not specific to germany. Many pilsener beers are Belgian or Dutch or from other countries. And there is no "Belgian glass". Each brewery has a glass for each beer (well nearly) and there are thousands of Belgian beers.

UnderTow

BEATZM1D10T
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 18:08:19 (permalink)
UnderTow

BEATZM1D10T

But the Reinheitsgebot laws are about the production of the beer and the laws about champagne are about the production method and the region in which one can make champagne and call it such. The laws are not about the glasses.

Btw, pils is not specific to germany. Many pilsener beers are Belgian or Dutch or from other countries. And there is no "Belgian glass". Each brewery has a glass for each beer (well nearly) and there are thousands of Belgian beers.

UnderTow

I was really referring to Crush saying "How high the glass is filled from the top.. all this crazy, criptic stuff." It's not crazy cryptic stuff. It's there for a reason. I'm sorry if my point wasn't clear.

The laws are in regards to quality. If Germany wants beer produced to a specific standard they can. We can and indeed do the same with meat factories and automobiles. But, do these differences in economics and government regulations indicate or dictate that a whole culture is incapable of producing a good DAW or one that is easily understood by a majority of Americans? That's what Crush seems to be getting at.

Well Belgian beers traditionally need a head space on their glasses. Yes, you could even use a red wine glass for it. Breweries wants to have their own signature thing too. It's no different than a tele and a strat. They have the same scale length, but the body shape and pickup differences impact the 'flavor' of tone.
Scott Lee
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 18:41:17 (permalink)
"And anyway, Cakewalk is Japanese!"

And Presonus isnt Cakewalk! See how we can do this undertow? I spoke with them recently and again they have engineers on both sides of the fence working on development. But Im not trying to sell you on anything, just was expressing my feelings about the software workflow.

"Madeleine Peyroux & Ladysmith Black Mambazo, any idea who I was referring to? Seriously? Because, honestly, no beat maker, Scott. Not in your wildest dreams. Not that you directly said there was, but you did kinda infer, didn't you ;-)"

Actually I didn't if you re read my posts again. I spoke from my experiences in the recording industry never about any artist you mentioned. I never stated that a Jazz artist or any other artist would not have or have anything more then live takes. What I did say originally that you so kindly replied  to was in this industry it is "common" for producers to inject a sequenced piano line, strings, or beat make. This doesnt make them any less of a musician. Simple as that!

Anyways gentlemen, good luck I have music to make today.

Best Regards,

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 
Song Composer / Engineer / Audio Director

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhee

UnderTow
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 19:13:14 (permalink)
BEATZM1D10T

I was really referring to Crush saying "How high the glass is filled from the top.. all this crazy, criptic stuff." It's not crazy cryptic stuff. It's there for a reason. I'm sorry if my point wasn't clear.
Oh your point was perfectly clear. I am just going off on a tangent.
The laws are in regards to quality.
No they are not. (And they are not laws). More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot
But, do these differences in economics and government regulations indicate or dictate that a whole culture is incapable of producing a good DAW or one that is easily understood by a majority of Americans? That's what Crush seems to be getting at.
No of course not. Like I said, I'm just going off on a tangent.

UnderTow
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 19:30:18 (permalink)
dooooooeeee
Music Miscreant
  • Total Posts : 177
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 20:58:42 (permalink)

Scott Lee

in this industry it is "common" for producers to inject a sequenced piano line, strings, or beat make. This doesnt make them any less of a musician. Simple as that! 

And when did I question that, pray tell? That was someone else's point, not mine. I simply wished to point out that your assumption about 'beat makers' being virtually necessary for all forms of contemporary music was inaccurate. Simple as that. Go and have a look. 

These guys are incredible... and apparently contemporary. The world's a wonderful mix of people. 
http://worldmusiccentral.org/2009/02/08/mickey-hart-and-ladysmith-black-mambazo-world-music-winners-at-2009-grammy-awards/

yorolpal
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 21:10:22 (permalink)
J.O.P

Oh man this thread...

Thanks, ol pal.  I needed that

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
keith
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3882
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 23:16:53 (permalink)
Crush

When it comes to software development, it's most important that the project is being led by Americans and the developers are basically not outsourced from the 3rd world.

[...]
(the 3rd world engineers have no place in this discussion and should never be associated with these sorts of projects. It doesn't matter who's heading the project it will turn into a disaster.. familiarity of X1.)
This is the second thread that I've seen this xenophobic verbal diarrhea from you. You're offensive.

I'd like to know how many "3rd world engineers" you've worked with, and what specific experience you have with "outsourced projects". I suspect none. You're just a xenophobe, and maybe a little racist for good measure.

And for the record, I've worked professionally with engineers from every corner of the world for years. I'm sorry to break it too you, but being from the US (or, an "American", as you mistakenly refer to us) doesn't somehow make you automagically smarter than everyone else. There are just as many superstar, idiot, and plain ol' unremarkable engineers from India, Pakistan, Ireland, Poland, France, etc. etc., as a percentage of the whole, as there are from your beloved America. In fact, given the overall state of education in this country, I think the trend may be going in a direction that you may not like very much.

Scott Lee
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 23:28:49 (permalink)
" for all forms of contemporary music was inaccurate. Simple as that. Go and have a look. "

How did my word "common" convert to "all forms" of music?

Again, layering strings, a piano part, or beat making is common in the industry.

Lets just agree to disagree. I dont want to keep repeating this. Thanks

Best,

post edited by Scott Lee - 2011/01/27 23:38:40

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 
Song Composer / Engineer / Audio Director

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhee

perfectprint
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 862
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/27 23:34:04 (permalink)
i think crush needs to take a break from this forum. after reading his threads, watching 'tutorial' videos and seeing his 'advice' on youtube, it is apparent he doesnt know what he is talking about. Crush, you seem to just make huge generalizations to mold to your limited view of the music industry. Take a step back; you can learn more from people with more experience.

Sonar Platinum                      

Crush
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 138
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/28 12:47:13 (permalink)
I'd like to know how many "3rd world engineers" you've worked with

Too many unfortunately.

Like you have to back up and realize where the mindset of these developers are. There are cows wondering in the middle of the street holding up traffic. No one is allowed to touch the cow.

These people have no concept of what a credit card is. They don't know what a vending machine is.

There is no department store where you can buy mouth wash or deodorant. They have no idea what that is.

All the IT schools are state sponsored where you are pretty much learning computers on paper - not actual computers.

They wipe themselves after a #2 with their left hand, and eat with their right (this is the unspoken reality of the third world - lack of toilet paper)

And you are expecting these people to develop Sonar X1????

Not that I dislike these people as they have very strong qualities like how they stick up for one another, stay faithful to one another, their national pride, etc. etc. You need to realize that the third world is of an alien culture to our own. You simply cannot expect these people to be an extension of the first world, white collar work place. It just doesn't work. It never has and never will.

The guy from cakewalk said 'our stateside developers are working on fixing the bugs'. That implies that yes there is an outsourced team. At Microsoft, there are NO outsourced teams doing the actual development on Windows and Office. There is a bit of development happening in Malaysia on their Windows CE but that's it. (they handled the handwriting recognition).

Call me a racist and xenophobe or whatever that's good for you.

These people simply don't belong on these sorts of projects. That's just my opinion and most people in the real world agree with me.
keith
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/28 12:53:06 (permalink)
Yes you've just confirmed: a xenophobe and a racist. And clueless as well, at least as far as the "real world" is concerned.

Crush
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 138
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/28 12:57:14 (permalink)
keith

Yes you've just confirmed: a xenophobe and a racist. And clueless as well, at least as far as the "real world" is concerned.

No actually,

Only the far left, label painting, authoritarian types run around calling people racist and xenophobes. People these days see through types like yourself very easily. You guys had a lot more power just 10 years ago. Recently though things have changed.

I'm still waiting for you guys to bring up Hitler. I know you want to.. I'm just waiting.

keith
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/28 12:59:50 (permalink)
Crush

keith

No actually,

Only the far left, label painting, authoritarian types run around calling people racist and xenophobes. People these days see through types like yourself very easily. You guys had a lot more power just 10 years ago. Recently though things have changed.

I'm still waiting for you guys to bring up Hitler. I know you want to.. I'm just waiting.

I don't have to. Your thoughts that regurgitate onto the virtual page in the form of forum posts speak for themselves.

Have a nice life.

vespesian
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 517
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/28 13:05:22 (permalink)

..wow.

You're in an amazing state.

So stay there.

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/28 13:07:35 (permalink)
vespesian

..wow.

If you didn't have anything to add to the thread...
vespesian
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 517
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/28 13:11:45 (permalink)
Huh? I do...trying to convey my astonishment.

You're in an amazing state.

So stay there.

OscarLaun
  • Total Posts : 176
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/28 13:43:23 (permalink)
I have nothing to add to the thread, but:
Hah! He Godwin'ed himself!

And even less additional:
DON'T MENTION THE WAR!
But if you do....
Hilter: I gave him my baby to kiss and he bit him! On the head! Bimmler: He stay in Petersborough Lincolnshire house all during war and was unable to go in streets or play football or go to Nuernburg
Mousey Tongue: Heeere he comes to save the daaaaay!
Stalling: Pull up! Pull up!
Mooseollini: Has flying squirrel partner, taste good with red sauce and fine wine.
Lennon: had same fashion consultant as Freud

[Edited to note that this should pretty much kill this thread...]

post edited by OscarLaun - 2011/01/28 13:44:54

Sonar Platinum Producer x64, X3 Producer, 8.5 Producer
Win10 Home Premium 64bit, 
ASUS Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 
12GB Ram, 
NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT w/ 40" and 32" displays
MOTU 24I/O
http://www.soundclick.com/balsaracers
http://www.cdbaby.com/balsaracers
Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/28 13:51:13 (permalink)
So we start off with X1 and we end up with Hitler. Nice thread. For the record I am going with Indiana Jones "Nazis, I hate these guys".

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
keith
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/28 13:54:16 (permalink)
Nazi Zombie Aliens from Zeta Reticuli on the other hand... cool stuff!
Kroneborge
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1300
Re:Sonar X1 could possibly the best 'serious' DAW for 'beat makers'. 2011/01/28 14:02:25 (permalink)
"All the IT schools are state sponsored where you are pretty much learning computers on paper - not actual computers. "

ROFL,

Actually many of them went to school in the US, UK etc, and then returned for better opportunities, IE economies growing at 8-10% a year instead of the likely 2% here at home.   And let's not mention how much lower the cost of living is.

I don't think you really have any idea how international EVERYTHING is now days.

just to funny.

Mathew

Hip Hop
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1