Helpful ReplySonar X3c crashing

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
joyof60
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 283
2013/11/23 05:43:20 (permalink)

Sonar X3c crashing

This has taught me if nothing else to consistently save my work.....At random points, and I do find it difficult to recreate but it has started happening so frequently that I really don't get a chance to try too much. While rendering, sample converting or a few other operations, if the software has to 'think' or work to hard, it freezes (not responding) never to return...I have waited literally for hours. Not the computer, just the software, all other functions of the PC are stable and functioning during these episodes. I am running Sonar X3c, the updater states that I am up to date,
Brief list of specs of my machine is here:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64
RAM: 32 Gb
Graphics Card: ASUS HD7770 Series, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: Seagate 2Tb and Seagate 3Tb
Motherboard: ASUS, SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled
I am using a Roland fantom X8, with a FA66 interface.
I have painstakingly tried to piece together parts that would play well together (Roland, Cakewalk products) to circumvent this from happening..but alas here I am.
I know this is tough but if someone could guide me as to where to start looking to rectify this problem. Each time I lose everything since my last save, many time I have been trying to finish one take to get to a save point and there it goes.

I used to use Cool Edit which became Adobe Audition that never gave me this grief with a much lighter system. I dunno..... anybody got any ideas??

Joyof60

Sonar Plat., Windows 10 Pro  (64bit), Custom Build,  AMD Rizen 5 @3.95GHz, Assorted HDDs, 32 Gb G.Skill RAM. Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Roland FA08, coupla guitars and misc. mics, cans,  and gadgetry.
blacksheep
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/23 07:57:38 (permalink)
sad my friend before i changed my C drive sonar crashed every hour, and now i still find myself riding the ((save me))) button i call it. like it was a 21 paste ride..
your running the same rig as me but im just a little 6 core. not to let cake off the hook here but my  SSD was screwing up even after fresh install, new drivers fresh sonar x3 installed alone with nothing but sonar, and the drive would always fail in around 30-min to a hour, very odd as it would happen so much i would sometime have to turn off my rig before every project.. solution was a old crucial 64 gig drive replacing C. not even a drop out since.

sabertooth 990fx 16 gigs of ram win 7 64 delta 1010
Splat
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/23 08:05:15 (permalink)
Please check your event viewer.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Sir Les
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/23 11:08:23 (permalink)
What about

"Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled?"

Could be the culprit?....hmmm...why post this tidbit of information?
Update drivers...and CakealexS's option to find the reasons...might guide you to know exactly where or what might be the cause.

Then
I would try some or all of "Black Vipers Tweaks" to the win 7 OS...could be something in serviced servies is messing / interrupting  the software's functionality.

http://www.blackviper.com/2009/10/01/black-vipers-windows-7-super-tweaks/

Might also be conflicting issues/hardware..2tb/3tb Seagate/usb/internet nic/audio interfaces...and perhaps IRQ issues with setup in slots shared?
So go over the setup with manual for the motherboard..and make sure nothing is installed in a shared slot on the mother board.
Bios settings?...turn off speed step?...VT tech, C1E for starters perhaps?...and if using onboard nic, turn that off for a test ....

What are the sustained speeds for reads and writes when one goes above 1tb?...and if so, what does windows essential security do when the file is written?

Personally I use WD Black 1tb 32mb cache Drives..the Red ones are suppose to be better made and longer lasting...?...But the Black ones are pretty Good....Mostly because I was told bigger means slower times in seeking, and writing...So I stay at 1tb max for the C:...But have moved on to SSDs now.

Seagate Drives in past for me, were nothing but problematic..many RMA's later...I learnt my lesson many moons ago...and made the switch.

Not saying this is now your problem , as they may have changed for the better...since 1999...but I ain't looking back.

Hope this helps

Sir Les
post edited by Sir Les - 2013/11/23 11:22:56

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
Splat
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/23 11:21:29 (permalink)
I've never used "Black Vipers Tweaks" so I'm in no position to comment, however this disables UAC (User Account Control settings)  and this is NOT a good idea at all! (sorry !) and a third party app disabling this makes me worry that there isn't some ulterior motive. Disabling this will allow malicious processes to make changes at the admin level without notifying you.

Regardless apart from the possibility that updating your drivers will resolve this crash (assuming is does this, and there are better apps out there such as this: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Driver-Boost-m2928792.aspx but you have to be careful with this one as well) and this utility won't solve your crashing, it may improve your performance (and I would prefer to do this manually myself but each to their own).

BTW I've never seen Microsoft Security Essentials cause crashes, that's not to say that it doesn't happen. Regardless a firewall and a virus scanner should be enabled (and configured correctly for your DAW).

The event viewer should give some clues...

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/23 11:28:38 (permalink)
joyof60
 While rendering, sample converting or a few other operations, if the software has to 'think' or work to hard, it freezes (not responding) never to return...I have waited literally for hours.

I haven't done any serious testing, but an impression I've gotten using X2 is that if it ever has to wait on a hard disk it may hang/crash.  In your power management settings, do you let your hard drives power down to save energy ?  I've noticed that on my system that currently lets them do that, it can take sometimes several seconds for a drive to wake up and become available.  Other programs wait nicely while this is happening.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
Sir Les
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/23 11:42:29 (permalink)
Well there are other versions of win 7 updates.."Black Viper suggests"..one of them is for "audio setups" if we look deeper into the suggestion and posts of Viper's....Which I have used, and many tested results have in favior...and turning something off...means you can turn it back on if it doesn't solve for X....Wink.
There is a UAC...but in the control of installing software, this UAC protection pops up asking if you are sure you want to install software you asked TO BE INSTALLED by clicking on the installer.....
Now this function, is unnecessary and pointless...if I click on a installer, I want it to install without interruptions of the os asking me again to do so...thankyou very much MS...but this could cause problems with installs...perhaps?...So that could be something to consider one day down the road to defeat?...and or look into.

Mostly he mentions how to find servies, and where they are...turning them off or putting services to manual mode...all undoable ....so no worries...perhaps?...but let us say as a last resort to the proper setup of devices and drivers.

In my case, Tweaking the OS has reduce cpu loads, spikes to some degree, and problematic drop outs, clicks and pops...and odd crashing.....not saying it will help here, but the road is long and the hair will come out....eventually....LOL.

More input is necessary...SO to do the " event viewer " thing is a start once the system is setup correctly (slotted Cards in unshared slots). "double checked" turning off redundant devices (which may cause issues with IRQs)...and the issue remains....then it could be os/service related ...MS essentials is a service...that can interrupt drive usage.

Sir Les

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

Sir Les
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/23 13:09:45 (permalink)
Oh another overlooked setting in Bios with win 7 32/64 that may cause .CRASHING.. IRQ sharing unnecessarily= Crashing = Sharing IRQs..which MS win 7 likes to do, and not let you change,...So in The Bios one might want to disable "Plug and Play" with them other settings I posted while you are in the Bios.
Google it if need be...or if unsure....wait till more input is revealed.

Win 7 will not allow you to make changes of IRQ setting manually anymore, no matter if plug and play is disabled or enabled in the bios....So you have to resort to extremes if need be, to gain that control...by making sure nothing will share with your built system from the get go......when Cards are put in appropriate slots, and double checking the manual to make sure the slot used is not sharing with another slot being used also by another card or onboard device..

You can check this out also = "shared" states of being by going into the = "start menu" / all programs/Accessories/system tools/ system info/ hardware resource/ conflict sharing...and look at the right hand pane window..and see what shares if anything, and post it up also .

Solutions?...sometimes there are none!....But..turning off "Plug and play" In Bios, resorts to Bios controlling the IRQ slot config of the motherboard...if you make sure to put those cards in unshared configuration...windows 7 may comply with Bios and not share your devices.. especially audio and or video ...so less Cards in a system equals Less possibilities of sharing.
Make sure the cards installed on the Motherboard are in unshared stated slot configurations=consult Motherboard manual.. set up bios with tweaks/save....reboot...and then start troubleshooting services/conflict sharing possibilities if the crashing continues.

You might not find bliss, but hair will be pulled out, and eyes will go weary....So lots of mead, and shrubberies, could help the pain and non melodic processes progress...perhaps, maybe, kinda.

But yes post up more info...from event viewer, and the above conflicts and sharing info....and start to rebuild the system as specified for blissful  further troubleshooting...

With the bios tweaks, and cards properly installed, this will resolve some variables...so you can move forward.. baby steps...to the next level of mayham, latest and greatest drivers, updates and fixes......and see what gives then, if it still continues to crash, turn off the security stuff...and if that don't work......I would try Black Vipers tweaks.

Just trying to help...But we all know it is broken when they sold it to you, and me, and them others.....thus the updates are necessary to fix it...some say....lol

So it is about controlling the variables..to solve for X....if you let MS do it for you..the above problematic issues occur...well then...enough said?...
So a little hands on in the build with care, Bios , and settings/service management is required by the owner......... .....I say....with some favorable results in some cases....

No screen savers, no sleep modes or auto sleep or monitor sleep modes, No power management of drives shutting down to save power, and such, no video eye candy=...
Sometimes helps to control glitches by turning them off, or the monitor that monitors your usage of the machine (services)..,,and you gain More cpu performance for your DAW...and plug ins.. /..cause less services are running in background.

robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/23 14:25:04 (permalink)
Are your drives 'green'?  If so, they will spin at variable rates, which has caused others issues.  (solution to that being to make them run at maximum all the time).

And, as pointed out, there should be crash information of some sort written to the Windows Event Log, and viewing that for errors would help expose what is failing.

Are there any Sonar error messages or dumps?

What other applications are running at the same time as Sonar?  Perhaps there is a resource conflict.

Are there any background tasks that might kick off during Sonar use?  Sometimes these can make things go screwy.  

Have you tried suspending your antivirus software during Sonar sessions?  Sometimes this can interfere with streaming audio applications.

Is there any pattern to these failures, other than that of some measure of time into running Sonar?

Are there 32-bit plugins involved with projects where your system hangs/crashes?  There are all kinds of potential problems between 32-bit plugins and Sonar x64.

Have you loaded one of these projects in Safe Mode in Sonar, then skipped the loading of all 32-bit plugins?  Just for testing purposes, this could help narrow down things a bit.  If the project runs without issue this way, it would imply a potential for one or more 32-bit plugs to be behaving badly with BitBridge and/or Sonar.

Do you have a 32-bit install of Sonar on your system?  If so, what happens if you run Sonar x32 for a while?  Does that crash/hang as well?

The above are a partial list of the kinds of things to look at for potential issues, and are intended to help diagnose issues.  Once the causes of your problems are found, then workarounds and solutions can be worked on.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Splat
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/23 19:37:49 (permalink)
Sir Les I'm merely stating (other than drivers) those are performance tweaks and will not prevent the crashing, therefore it won't fix the OP's issue (a driver update may help however assuming this is indeed a driver issue, and I always recommend updating drivers anyway along with running windows update).

This UAC protection pops up asking if you are sure you want to install software you asked TO BE INSTALLED by clicking on the installer.....Now this function, is unnecessary and pointless...if I click on a installer, I want it to install without interruptions of the os asking me again to do so...thankyou very much MS

As I said "Disabling this will allow malicious processes to make changes at the admin level without notifying you."

This is about as useless as having a PIN number on your credit card.... further info here (this functionality is often misunderstood):
http://www.7tutorials.com/uac-why-you-should-never-turn-it-off

btw If the error is logged in the event viewer this could point to an immediate solution. Exactly what happened to me when I installed X3 and had crashes (this pointed me straight to a buggy third party DLL which was behaving perfectly well with X2).

Ta
post edited by CakeAlexS - 2013/11/23 20:11:06

markyzno
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1216
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/24 05:45:13 (permalink)
X3c was crashing on me everytime I tried to export a project to WAV. The marker would just hit a point near the end and Sonar would fall over in the manner you describe, i.e just sit there.

I tried everything to find the culprit, disabling plugs, freezing synths etc etc to no avail.

So, i played the project through to the end, no problems with playback. Then I re-exported and it worked!

Total Gremlin right there.

Sonar Platinum 64 bit > Pro tools 10.3.2 >Intel i7 3770K > 16Gb Ram > Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard> NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB > ATi RADEON HD5700 > 240GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD> Win 10 home 64 bit> Delta 1010 > MOTU Audio Express > MA-15D's > NI Ultimate 9 > NI Kontrol S61 1.1 > NI MAschine Studio 2.3 / KORG MS-20 Mini - Arturia MicroBrute > KORG SQ1 - KORG Kaoss Pad KP3 > iPad and IO Dock 2 running various bits > Bunch of guitars >

Sound Design on IMDB --

joyof60
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 283
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/24 05:46:20 (permalink)
Thanks guys, so very much! I will check the event log (as soon as I figure out where that is) , card slots all are ok, and I posted the fact that MS essentials was updated and running was to help in knowing that virus, spyware, malware scans had already been done. I had been using a program "end it all" to disable other programs running in the background. I stopped using it when all this started without any noticeable change.
No green drives, and no other functions/processes going on at the same time, I do have web access, but have grossly limited usage of any other programs in the machine as my original quest was to use it for audio recording alone. Cakewalk says the Sonar drivers are up to date. Windows is updated regularly. I havnt tried disabling MSSE and the others (windows updated, anti spyware etc) from automatic updates. No 32bit sonar has been installed to my knowledge. I always look for a 64 bit version and install that as the only one. I don't have anything overclocked, and the BIOS is as it was upon install of the mobo. I have already lost most of my hair and the local bee keepers always notice a decrease in production as a project is underway due to my mead consumption. ; ). I will try to find the event log thing and post accordingly as that seems to be the place to start and the one thing I believe all are in agreement on. Thanks again to all for your time spent here, it is an indeed encouragement that I have chosen the correct product, with such wonderful support! Thanks again guys! Will update as soon as possible!
A side note here that I recently have noticed the occurances appear to be more frequent when I am browsing through the drum samples. (Not sure how to use these yet or rather make them work but some are quite nice)
And as for plugins, I'm not sure of the difference between the 32bit and the 64bit ones. I do use some of the provided effects modules that are nice as well, but I don't know how to use anything else such as instruments and all. Not sure if that helps or not, thanks again guys!!

Joyof60

Sonar Plat., Windows 10 Pro  (64bit), Custom Build,  AMD Rizen 5 @3.95GHz, Assorted HDDs, 32 Gb G.Skill RAM. Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Roland FA08, coupla guitars and misc. mics, cans,  and gadgetry.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/24 05:58:40 (permalink)
Quick question, what are your audio buffer (Preferences->Audio->Driver Settings->ASIO Panel), and I/O buffers (Advanced Mode: Preferences->Audio->Synch and Caching) set to?

If these get "extreme" either high or low they can cause serious funny business with the audio engine. Audio buffers around 128, and I/O buffers ~512 seem to be the "most stable" mix for most folks.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Sir Les
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/25 10:32:01 (permalink)
Hay CakeAlexS...if UAC interrupts  occur during installation of any software...it could pose to corrupt said install...when installing software...Not saying it does, not saying it doesn't...Just saying it can!...I am saying to reduce all variables.//AS SOME SOFTWARE MANUFACTURES REQUEST// TURN OFF ALL VIRUS PROTECTION SOFTWARE BEFORE INSTALLING...Is this a suggestion or a command?..If sonar was installed with it on...then sonar may have been installed with errors due to the interruption of it's natural installation, with background apps in session to boot also causing issues??? virus software running while installing is not recommended...reason,??? it interrupts the install some times...hence turn off virus software is stated in some installers...UAC is such a thing?...to protect the OS?...But it interrupts.....and thus it could cause crashing because something got written in the code wrongly when being installed.....Widened perspectives views of the variables should prevail hear ...is all I am putting forth.

And the link to vipers tweaks...he has many...and one for audio is available for win 7....

Not sure what UAC does?...well look into it...it is redundant if the software is legit being installed...the need to verify my wanting to install something I engaged to install makes the process strained...by my understanding...Not to use Virus protection while installing software.

And is ...with in reason...reasonable thought processes....

" SOFTWARE IS NOT INSTALLED CORRECTLY " messages?...makes me wonder why, that I have seen from time to time...with UAC on...Why?

Working out the legitimacy of any installer of software...is governed by the ones making it, and those who bought it legit, and are installing it seemingly correctly?...

We hope this OP ...is the master of his domain....Not MS..or me or another...and to put software installers of merit in safe places, and or protects said installers from gaining virus infection by putting them on CD/DVD / or backup medium in it's original legal, or other wise states of being , which cannot be corrupted by virus ...If that should happen to the system, the master has backups....when using said system for internet downloads and such, which can lead to virus infection of the system and all files and such on it.

Yes performance and cpu loads, and wait states, and irq polling/conflicts with drivers/ and devices not behaving together/ or installed wrongly in slots...can cause crashing...So to reduce this stated state...if it is all, or some, or one of ...? check it, read up about it, set it up right first.....Then when that is done..one could turn off redundant services/devices/ and or background apps to gain more exclusivity of the cpu and memory...and use only that which benefits the user/Software of choice, and system setup to spec/ when doing Music or video applications which require CPU/memory intensive use....equals more cpu exclusivity to the software in use or being used to do so...which translates into better performance/behavior/ in said software with third party plugins and devices working together properly.. no pops no clicks no grunts and certainly no crashes...ect ect ect.....

So to go through all of the hoops, and reduce burn out of the brain... and saves hair from falling out...do not overlook anything...I SAY....and forward motion should prevail.....Wink....start at the build level (CHECK/latest Drivers), if persistent  view logs (CHECK) work towards the tweak level if persistent (CHECK), and if still persistent there after?... then thrash out the culprit By swapping out Cards...and leaning towards Bugs in software complaints = Bliss we hope?...well it should or could happen.....Not saying it will....and mums the word on that logical progression to resolve or reduce variables that may cause may ham...and hair loss!

More mead and berries should prove delectable delighted delinquency in servitude...In consumption there of...or pondering the matter at hand more, when those logs and such come forth...to say something is ****ing this process of bliss, I am sure you can agree with me on..and methods which leads to...(the holy answer) ..some of the above being necessary to do, in certain states....But yes be safe, Look into it...go deep..go wide...read up....and make the jump to light speed.

So As I said...If you turn things off,(You can turn them back on) that are not really necessary ..like UAC....and some have tried Vipers tips and tricks, and posted thanks for the tips..meaning nothing adverse has happened when doing so, in accordance to his instruction on how to.........or just turn it down, or to none, or manual...instead of medium or high....that is LESS monitoring/interruptions/ of the installation of legitimate software/ software functioning reads and writes  to drives/ and taxing of CPU and Memory....One does not want interruptions of these writes and reads/ and cpu/memory process states while working in said installed correctly software.?..clicks and pops aside....?

Sir Les

Splat
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/25 10:54:32 (permalink)
Leslie I've said all I need to say on the matter. Please do you research.

Here's another clue:
> Not the computer, just the software, all other functions of the PC are stable and functioning during these episodes.

Event viewer then, and configuration of software itself. Possibly the drivers that relate to that software.

As a side note your tweaks may be great for performance (just please don't disable UAC).

lawp
  • Total Posts : 1154
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/25 11:14:35 (permalink)
if you understand how a win7+ computer works you don't need uac; e.g., i have it turned off, my mum and my kids have it turned on... if you're concerned about "malicious processes" then use a different machine for your porn er other stuff (how do i format a strike-through?)

be excellent to each other
Sir Les
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/25 12:14:10 (permalink)
No disrespect CakeAlexS...But you are, and I am, and others.... not God over anything here....My words, Your words..

Instructions? Suggestion?...it is up to the OP Joyof60 master to read in, look up, and try to solve all Variables to gain Blissful enlightened states of being in his reality!...I'm just sharing in the experience, and or some tech tips from various places I went through..and more..

As we can only state what we have experienced of our own accords....Here....with differing systems and devices...there is no One Go to...unless some one has the exact system working correctly....it is just a crap shoot.

I have been troubleshooting since Gem /Atari 1040st and Roland's Ten Trax 1994...and PCs since win 95 and Steinberg Cubase 3.0 -3.7r3 the recording system of the future "According to Steinberg and Echo audio GINA"...Crap!...and midi and then self built 32bit audio systems Protools 7,8,9.3// 64bit -11.1... till today with sonar 1x 2xa and now 3xc...all had issues..2013..and Today is just like Yesterday...well it is getting better on PC but it still has big issues with IRQ sharing....not enough of them according to Avid...and thus the problematic clog!...and some of that clog does not get logged!!!

Round and round we go in circles....never addressing this IRQ state, to implement more of physical ones on Motherboards.....And so the OS makes virtual ones and shares them also....leaving things in a sort of unfinished properly state of unstable functioning.

But the mead is better 18% alc, and the Genetically altered shrubberries seem larger to my eye....Everything else is pretty much the same old same old....
I suggest the mead because it counters the spin of **** MS and others put out...with out much setup instructions for bliss to occur....(standards keep changing) this is part of the problem Avid surely by now have mentioned with MS and third party devices....which they have tried to solve for...by making their own devices for their software....and even that is buggy....more so on PC than Mac.

Remember win 98 light?...and hacking explorer out of the MS 98 OS....well there was a task done By hackers that made things better....some say....wink...other said it could not be done....but they did it....and it worked for some!

So no worries...I read enough about UAC...and I found it very distasteful in it popping up when I was frantically trying to install software and drivers, to save my burning system in 2011...Yep it caught fire....corrupted driver and bad voltages....Poof...up in smoke... Well that is technology for yah...
SO....Should I tell Joyof60 not to download drivers and install them, from that flaming experience of mine?

enough said?

Now to ask, has the Joyof60 turned off the nic card in the bois, and tried things for a spin?...remember Les Is more sometimes Sir.

And We all want to help...
post edited by Sir Les - 2013/11/25 12:36:42

Splat
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/25 12:20:06 (permalink)
> if you're concerned about "malicious processes" then use a different machine

That is ridiculous, any machine connected to the internet is at risk (if even briefly)...

So sad people who claim to be experts really don't understand the concept of admin rights or why UAC was introduced (do you really think Microsoft introduced it just as some annoying nag screen? Really?) .... same people who probably don't install virus scanners or firewalls because they think they don't need them.
http://technet.microsoft....9628%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Anyway educate yourself... That's all I'm saying....
Perhaps install Linux, maybe that will give you a clue about security and desktop machines. Check out the sudo command. If you are moaning at Microsoft you are going to have a super fit when it comes to Linux.

(So you might as well give me your pin number now)

At the end of the day it's fine if you choose to throw in a massive security risk for your own machine that's your business, but please don't encourage others to do the same and claim you can resolve crashes by using performance tweaks...
post edited by CakeAlexS - 2013/11/25 12:28:11

Splat
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/25 12:41:43 (permalink)
>Should I tell Joyof60 not to download drivers and install them, from that flaming experience of mine

Interesting that the one thing I agreed about all along that could improve stability to a system in this scenario... That is updating drivers, which I've said all along could work. I was clear about that from the start. My issue was running that utility and disabling UAC, totally unnecessary and in the later case dangerous.

Question - Hey my software is crashing?

Answer - well don't bother looking at the logs to find out what it could be, just disable your security software and run these performance updates handled by third party software which conveniently disables your security for you.... And perhaps these magic beans could be of use... ;) And don't worry the only time you get a virus is when you visit porn sites so you don't need protection, or just use a different PC, you know the PC that is immune to viruses and malicious processes (was blessed by Bill Gates himself )...
post edited by CakeAlexS - 2013/11/25 12:50:20

Sir Les
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/25 13:12:49 (permalink)
That is why I do not connect my Music systems to the internet  (as a rule of thumb, and as prescribed by my audio desk manufactures )...and UAC is redundant on them, as is MS essentials and "defender", and or other versions of virus protection on those systems....if I keep them safe and sound...
But I have connected them for manual MS updates....a risk we all take...yep..but sometimes necessary net frame works and such needs to be updated to work with the latest drivers and bug fixes and such and so on and so forth....So no standards...eh?...well the ISP should provide enough protection on the connection for a MS update...and then disconnect....also on the router/modem there is protection also, and such...so no worries?....hack all they want...if it is mostly un connected no worries....?

So some sacrifices may be in order Here with Joyof60.,....and some other paths to buying a secondary lap top or system for internet, Gaming, and other things.... with a large usb key Drive...and put that system online with security enforced to the max...JUST TO MAKE YOU HAPPY CAKEALEXS,...Wink.....
Always scan before moving that usb drive or stick to the off line systems (tweaked if need be with no worries)...with sonar also installed and online,...so the online help and such can be used on that, while the Primary Music system does the real work...Perhaps a solution?....perhaps.

But until we see the viewer info and irq listed states....it is still a crap shoot...

I do not need UAC or Firewalls, or Virus protection or malware, or auto updates, and some third party services continually running in background continually.... on some systems....As do others...

What is good for the goose is not always good for the gander....

If one is serious about the getting Blissful music production and functionality out of their systems    (stability)??......Sometimes things have to be sacrificed.......(but not always)

Burp...oops...excuse me...and thanks...For quotes...But the idea was to say what happened to me was unfortunate.(one in a million billion)..it should not be used in the light of this thread as a negative statement...It was a question I asked YOU AlexS, if I should tell Joyof60 not to do any updates as it could causes problems...like I experienced....But I have not done so in the telling him to not do...although it is unlikely what has happened to me in past, will ever happen again..to anyone....virus checkers and such will interrupt downloads, scan the file sometimes before and always after, and while installing, and such when finished downloading...all problematic in terms of corruption potential...remove the potential, and we may solve for X....Is all I am saying!...so do not twist the un twistable.

There is no fight here AlexS, and there are only Possibilities and pathways to something better, or worse....one step at a time.

Setup, reduce, refine, update, DEFINE, And solve for X...all variables need to be addressed in noted formation ....

Simplicity works best when taken literally.... with Mead.

Sir Les

post edited by Sir Les - 2013/11/25 13:35:55

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/25 13:32:26 (permalink)
Umm... how did the OP comment of "While rendering, sample converting or a few other operations, if the software has to 'think' or work to hard, it freezes (not responding) never to return...I have waited literally for hours. Not the computer, just the software, all other functions of the PC are stable and functioning during these episodes." lead here?

Unless I misconstrued the OP, I read that as X3c is hanging (not the entire machine) during rendering operations and "browsing through the drum samples." An interface issue should affect the entire machine, and a hang like this is easily replicated with extreme adjustments to buffers.

It would help the OP a lot more to provide feedback to their issue as directly as possible.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Splat
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/25 13:40:52 (permalink)
Yup totally agree mettelus. The operating system was not crashing.

Check Event viewer and what you say about the buffers is entirely valid as well.

Updating drivers (and even firmware) could be valid as well but would be nice to get feedback first.

Sir Les
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/25 13:45:13 (permalink)
Sonar X3c crashing...was the title of the thread I posted in here...no?

Sir Les
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/25 13:50:09 (permalink)
Why is wait state in progress?= hanging command or poll to process...not implemented right? or is waiting for something to stop using the cpu....something holding on to cpu cycles?...and then the path widens to this...thought.... without X..... takes many forms to address!....agree or disagree on what it could be...when what it is is held out of view.....one thing is for certain...it ain't working right..

Sir Les
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/25 14:09:28 (permalink)
What is happening?...Software, hardward, and system, are being used...One of these things is failing to do something the other wants done...is it software, hardware, driver, system?....

Proper installation of Sonar software, and others request to my knowledge = "turn off virus protection"  if being used when doing so, so as to not corrupt the installation....MOSTLY the reasons for the misdirection of the thread to security software UAC being turned off...all of it might be extreme, but also might be a overlooked path to a corruption....remove Sonar software that may have been affected if it was installed while virus scanner were running....IF it was ....,uninstall, reinstall SONAR without virus protection or any other security protection programs running.....and see what happens.
Just a guess....this could also include Drivers and bug fixes...turning off the security protection when installing from known distributors...is usually safe enough....
So turn them all off...When installing ...Scan them first...if you need to...but turn them off when installing....MS essential, Defender, and or others...which I include UAC....SO it could be corruption of the software,...and it could be Buffers...could be a lot of things...Not saying no to anything...but I will not overlook anything until we have X info from the Joyof60

And so that is how it comes to this....without X it is a crap shoot.
 Some call it brain storming....before the sun comes up.

Wink.

post edited by Sir Les - 2013/11/25 14:18:38

Sir Les
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/25 15:02:08 (permalink)
Oh and also if security software is on when using Sonar.. "Rendering" is a write function to a drive...Security will detect it...and could cause issues.

So...it comes to this because it is mentioned in the OP...and so the thought process on it  is mead....LOL

Just trying to keep things in good spirits...

Sir Les

Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/25 15:08:57 (permalink)
A simple fix to a few little problems has been to delete (or rename) the existing Aud.ini file

Sonar will build a new one the next time the program is launched.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Sir Les
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/25 15:33:20 (permalink)
 Hay Bristol Jonesey,  Where is that Aud.ini file located?...and what is written poorly in the original one, and or why, to need to renew it?..or can you explain more as to why one would or should...

I was unaware of this work around....and I still got issues...and have sent several reports now.

Thanks

Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/25 16:58:25 (permalink)
Hi Les.

You'll find it here:

C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\SONAR X3 Producer

You might need to ensure that hidden and/or system files are visible in Windows Explorer

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Splat
Re: Sonar X3c crashing 2013/11/25 17:12:05 (permalink)
AUD.INI is where your Sonar settings are kept.
Bare in mind you should keep a record of your Sonar settings in preferences, or better still just rename the file to keep a record.

Four reasons to do this:

* File got corrupted.
* Your cakewalk settings are invalid (maybe down to an upgrade script going wrong or something) and it's best to start again.
* You wanna see if it makes any difference in a crashing app scenario.
* Fancy a cleanup.

So yes a dodgy AUD.INI could be the cause of crashes as well, nicely pointed out...

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1