Helpful ReplyLockedSonar getting trashed on KVR...

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 11:37:27 (permalink)
mike_mccue

I've started wondering when Cakewalk will tell us that SONAR X will only install on Win8. When that happens I'm going to disconnect from the train. I hope X3 works on Win7. I hope I use it. I'm going to be bummed if it turns out to be a X2b+ stop gap meant as a holdover before the app goes Win8 touch centric in the next couple of years.

I had not thought of that. If I have to go to W8... I am OUT. I will NOT buy a new OS in order to run Sonar.

mike_mccue
I've been using ProTools 11 native and it is fantastic. I never took the PT LE stuff seriously but the native stuff is rocking on my new DAW.

I have been thinking about this too. I really don't want to spend the money on it and am put off by hearing that my Octa-Capture will not work with PT but the upside is, and this is only my opinion, I think that maybe Sonar is moving more toward electronic music and looping.. and touchDAW, toward a younger market of people who are not musicians but who want to make music... while PT and a couple of others are more focused on audio recording. That is important to me. I need soft synths and drum programs but I am most concerned with audio recording. OF course I could be completely wrong... 

mike_mccue
I'm ready to get it over with. Spending a couple K on PT, Studio One, and very soon Cubase 7 wasn't in the plans... but that's what happened when SONAR X left me wanting a program that reminded me of the best features in SONAR 8.5 Classic Edition.

I want to get back to spending my budget on nice microphones and tracking nice sounds with the comfort of knowing the DAW is just what I've hoped for these past two decades.

I hear you. I don't have the budget right now for PT 11, S1, and Cubase 7 (plus what I've read about C7, it scares me... but heck, can it really be that hard to learn.. that may be an indicator that it is a really great piece of work).

Someone said somewhere that at least with PT one has a sense of security. That is becoming more and more important, at least to me. I have not been worried about the future of Sonar but I am beginning to get just a little anxious, I still expect it to be good but little things like what you said... if it requires W8... that will be a game changer for me, I will not be forced into W8 or touch, even if it is what I want, I will resent being pushed into it and wont go along and if they move any farther away from audio recording, I will be looking around instead of dropping more money here.

mike_mccue
best regards,
mike

Good post Mike...

Julien

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
icontakt
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4266
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 12:02:55 (permalink)
meh
Jlien X
Thanks for your feedback.
Point 1: Doesn't that mean that even those who don't understand computers can use Studio One, etc.and isn't that a good thing?
Point 2: Sorry, my English isn't good. I wanted to mean that you can't sell your Sonar to someone. 

Point 1 Apples and Oranges.  Just becaue 1 piece of sofware works well on one platform does not mean that another similar piece of software will work the same way on the same platform.
Point 2.  For the same reasons that technically I can't sell some one a (You name the artist here) song.  The artist or in this respect Roland ownes the intellectual copyright on Sonar.

To clarify my points...

Point 1: I often hear people say Sonar doesn't work on their computers while other daws like S1, Reaper, Live, Cubase all work. Isn't it natural to think that Sonar is indeed unstable on many computers and shouldn't it be improved if Cakewalk wants more people to use the program?

Point 2: You can't put your Sonar on the Buy & Sell section.

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
markno999
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1450
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 12:03:25 (permalink)
mike_mccue
I still think SONAR 8.5 Classic Edition was the best all arounder Audio and MIDI DAW ever.

Just a few little fixes that had been on the Cakewalk Do list for about 10 years and it would have been 99% there.

I used it for 8 hours yesterday and it still feels fresh. I had Fabfilter stuff on everything and it just works great for me.

Every time I look at SONAR X I think it looks like it was made to seem like Home Studio on steroids with an emphasis on drag and drop loop convenience.

It's hard to take Pro Channel seriously when you prefer to use top of the field dsp. The claim that independent efx gui windows is confusing cracks me up. Seriously. I think it's funny.

The audio tracking features have been downgraded with a clumsy use of display space. The elimination of layers and the crude adoption of lanes defied the acknowledgement that SONAR's layers were one of it's most powerful features... a feature that set it apart and above more popular DAWs like Pro Tools.

The friendly names audio input debacle is still a sad, sad joke. All the other DAWs do it the right way while SONAR users explain that never having "input 2" listed as "input 2" is not a big deal. Seriously. I think it's sad. 

I think SONAR's drum maps are really sweet. I think they are the best, but I haven't tried Cubase in a while.

I'm planning on buying SONAR X3 before I see what Cakewalk did to it. I'm going to approach it like I'm taking a swim at the North Pole. Pinch my nose and jump.

I've started wondering when Cakewalk will tell us that SONAR X will only install on Win8. When that happens I'm going to disconnect from the train. I hope X3 works on Win7. I hope I use it. I'm going to be bummed if it turns out to be a X2b+ stop gap meant as a holdover before the app goes Win8 touch centric in the next couple of years.

I've been using ProTools 11 native and it is fantastic. I never took the PT LE stuff seriously but the native stuff is rocking on my new DAW.

I still like to work in SONAR 8.5 Classic Edition because it has great MIDI tools and the audio works great but I've developed a plan to use less and less MIDI so as to make the most of Pro Tools audio production strengths because it feels like Cakewalk has simply abandoned any efforts to get to 99% and has decided to give away free stuff instead of servicing their top of the line product.

I'm ready to get it over with. Spending a couple K on PT, Studio One, and very soon Cubase 7 wasn't in the plans... but that's what happened when SONAR X left me wanting a program that reminded me of the best features in SONAR 8.5 Classic Edition.

I want to get back to spending my budget on nice microphones and tracking nice sounds with the comfort of knowing the DAW is just what I've hoped for these past two decades.

best regards,
mike

Mike,

Excellent post, pretty well sums up my current state as well.   Though I bought X1 and X2, not a fan of the X workflow.   I find X2, not unusable, but certainly unpredictable as it frequently white-screens on my system.   Honestly, not interested in figuring out why, X1 is working fine as a stop gap.  Currently using 8.5.3 for MIDI and X1 64-bit for final audio mixing.    I too plan to jump on the X3 bandwagon but certainly have some contingency plans if it doesn't meet expectations.   The only thing I would add to your list is VST3 support.

Regards
CJaysMusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30423
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 12:24:26 (permalink)
If you cant 'Beat Em', 'Bash Em'

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 12:40:59 (permalink)
wetdentist
i am the "fanboi" they let loose on.  kvr is a place that is no friend to Cakewalk.  but just try saying negative things about Fruity Loops, and you will feel the wrath of the Image-Line people and their minions.

Good to you see you here.   However, I must point out that your positive outlook on SONAR is completely out of touch with reality and will be dealt with using the harshest means available.   

It would be great if every user had the same positive experience with SONAR X2 (or the X series in general), but that is and will not be the case.  I'm just glad I'm in that category.  But as someone mentioned previously, at the end of the day it's one's own personal experience that matters most, empathy and community aside. 

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Jay Tee 4303
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 246
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 13:07:02 (permalink)
I am an ex IT guy, stepped away from the business in 2002. That's means I am 11 years out of date, which in turn means I am as clueless as any first time computer user.

I built my first PC in 1991, specs below.

I have had a few bad apps over the years, but Sonar/Cakewalk isn't one of them. In fact, just about everything I install...works. I currently run a network composed of 16 nodes, a mix of routers, PCs, laptop and desktop, Android devices, and printers. I have a ton of software and apps installed, and...

Everything works.

I open the shrinkwrap, stuff the disk in the drive, let the software make most of its own choices, and everything works. I bought used machines, new machines, built my own, and most combinations there-of. Factory installed OS and self partitioned, self installed OS.

Everything works.

I don't do code, reverse engineer, tweak, cuss, pull hair, none of it.

Install what I need and everything works.

I lost two networks, in 22 years, to virus/security issues, know what I did wrong, and don't do that anymore. (WebOS Palm Pixi brought down one, Win2K server in the DMZ killed the other.

Other than that, everything works.

I call Support from time to time. Twice with the network in its current config. Once to authorize a series of IK products, once to install and authorize and East West product.

I have to admit...I wonder just what these people do to their machines to get them so far out of whack. Actually...I suspect I already know, having had to fix several for friends.

Free games, free applications, free toolbars, free antivirus, free pron, free screensavers, and free plugins...

...ain't free.

Cheap junk...

...doesn't work.

You can buy a truckload of $100 two year old servers, and every one will have problems. The ones that don't are still running, in the corporation that dumped the problem children to the wholesaler.

Walmart software, you know, the substitute for Autocad that does everything Autocad does, for $49.95, doesn't work.

That Mitsumimikaka DVD writer that costs half what a Sony does...doesn't work.

Those one thousand free games you downloaded from XYZ Downloads.com...actually work just fine. Not the game parts. those don't work...the parts that work are the parts you aren't supposed to see, that open back doors, sell your information, download ads without your consent, install more screwed up games, etc. etc.

Figure out what you want the box to do.

Search online and see what the professionals who do that use. hardware and software.

Search for the hardware/software combination you are considering, with the keyword "Problem".

Not going into OS install today.

Fire up your new box, go directly to MS and patch it to date.

Install a recognized security app, and patch it to date.

Again and again and again, until it says No New Updates available.

Turn off auto-everything.

Install your apps.

If you hang it on the net, patch it to date once a month, manually, paying ATTENTION to what the patches say they are going to do.

Try to avoid major upgrades to major components of the OS or apps. If a doctor says he can rip out half YOUR brain, and replace it, and it will work better, don't believe HIM either.

Unhook the ethernet cable or turn off wireless, except on your network boxes.

Place a hardware router between your netboxs and your core (non-internet) machines. Place a hardware router between your entire LAN and the internet.

Back up the network once a month. Do NOT use ANY backup program. Copy files from source to target. Backup programs compress, and set flags, that YOU don't know enough to trust. When a backup completes you are NOT done. You have NO BACKUP until you COPY THREE FILES FROM BACKUP MEDIA TO HARDDRIVE AND OPEN THEM.

SUCCESSFULLY.

Keep boneheads off your critical machines. People that think "free" means "free" are boneheads. Use passwords, and firewalls. Put boneheads on standalone machines, or get them their own pipe to the net. If you have to hang boneheads on your network, put as many walls between them and you as you can. If even ONE machine is infested with Freeware, expect ALL of them to be infested soon.

If it works....if it does what you paid for it to do, LEAVE IT ALONE. Do NOT upgrade OS, do NOT upgrade major apps, do NOT retask machines that fill a specific need that ARE FILLING IT NOW. Buy a new one, with a plan in mind, research the plan, execute the plan, and do NOT take the old machine out of production until the new one is doing EVERYTHING you used the old one for for at least 3 months.

If it doesn't work....note exactly when it failed. If it has probs when the only thing on it is the OS...guses where your problem lies, and guess where your problem will STILL lie. after you bury it with quality applications.

If it works fine thru Sonar install, fine with Ozone install, and starts crashing when you install Joe's free, super plug, you downloaded off Azzwarez.com, guess where the problem is.

This doesn't seem that complicated to me.

I'm not real sure why it does to some.

Or maybe I am.

;-)

IBM PC/XT
1 MB RAM
8087 Math Co-Processor
5 Megabyte Seagate Hard Drive
Twelvetone Cakewalk Version 2.0
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 13:17:08 (permalink)
mike_mccue

Win 8 market penetration has been extremely disappointing for Microsoft.  I not only absolutely believe that X3 will be W7 compatible, I'd bet money that X5 will be (assuming one major SONAR release a year).
stevec
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 13:27:13 (permalink)
I bought the Win8 upgrade during the initial sale but have yet to install it.  Win7 is working well that I just haven't felt inspired to spend the time to upgrade, even though I already have it.   Now, if someone wants to take me up on that free touch screen offer, I'd be happy to upgrade asap and give it a try.   

SteveC

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 13:36:15 (permalink)
@Jay Tee 4303

Bless your heart.  I feel the same way about a lot of the above.  I work with 64-bit only whenever possible, have supported plugins, drivers and hardware, have a patch-current PC that nobody else on the planet gets to play with, and Sonar X2a has never crashed once.

While there are indeed things that need patching, most have workarounds, and that's that.

I truly empathize with folks that have bugs for which there are not currently any workarounds.  Even there, some of that may be giant PITA things , more than things that prevent any productivity.  I have some frustrations with both staff view and step sequencer, and those issues do not seem to affect enough folks to where they get patched - but for my situation those things are frustrations and not show stoppers.

I am not aware of any total show stoppers that are global - meaning they affect the general user base for X2a.  I think that for the most part, when folks DO have crashes, if they post the details in a thread and give the forum community opportunity to resolve, most times things end up getting resolved, and are rarely found to be fault with Sonar.

I also see that at times folks either complain but do not provide detail, or they quote other posts where folks had complained - and take those complaints as factual cases of faults with Sonar, when upon closer examination many times those are either cases where detailed analysis was not done, or are otherwise baseless.

That's my take on it.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 13:57:29 (permalink)
The fact is, dozens, maybe hundreds of these people you two are pointing fingers at and accusing of being less competent than your own grandiose selves can run the very same projects on Reaper and Studio One all day long with out a hiccup.

It is that easy.

The finger pointing is not appreciated... and make no mistake, I just think it's in poor taste... my SONAR install works 99.99% rock solid, so I know you are not speaking about me. :-)

I am simply insulted that some of you guys think that insulting other people is a demonstration of your friendly and helpful nature.

Well done.

best regards,
mike

edit spelling
post edited by mike_mccue - 2013/08/21 14:16:58

lawp
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1154
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 14:23:55 (permalink)
Yes
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 14:28:53 (permalink)
mike_mccue
....these people you two are pointing fingers at and excusing of being less competent than your own grandiose selves can run the very same projects on Reaper and Studio One all day long with out a hiccup.
The finger pointing is not appreciated... and make no mistake, I just think it's in poor taste...
I am simply insulted that some of you guys think that insulting other people is a demonstration of your friendly and helpful nature.

Well done.

best regards,
mike

Your generalization above is misplaced in my opinion. Bob has been very helpful to a large number of users in resolving their problems while using SONAR. The reference as "grandiose" is ridiculous when referring to such a humble and helpful person who I am happy is part of the SONAR community. I encourage you to reread his post and consider where he exhibited any of the characteristics you ascribe to him.
You of course are entitled to your own opinions about SONAR, as is Bob or anyone else is.

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 14:51:51 (permalink)
wormser
Just sayin'...
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388711&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=135

So after what's been going on here for almost a year what you're "just sayin'" is like a fart in a tornado.
The Maillard Reaction
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 14:57:48 (permalink)
Hi Brando,

Yours was a very thoughtful and well spoken post.

I'm going to be real clear.

You, me and Bob are bystanders, yet one of us expects to be satisfied with a full and detailed explanation or he describes a complaint as "baseless".

Hi Bob,
 I feel that statements like that, and previous statements where by you have demanded that people give this forum first chance at fixing a problem before any complaining seems credible requires a hubris that I find distasteful.

Determining that complaints that haven't been described to your complete satisfaction are "baseless" is an example of a hubris that I find surprising coming from a guy that seems genuinely intent on helping. No one owes you any explanation and the suggestion that they do is something-centric to a fault.

I got lots of faults (that's for my friend jb101 to quote and run with) but kicking people when they are down just because they won't grab my hand for a lift up isn't one of them. 

It's pretty simple.

The complicated part is that I do agree that you are very helpful and sincerely genuine. I just wish I didn't have to see you insult people while you were at it.

Stay calm.
 X3 will be arriving soon.

all the best,
mike

brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 14:59:25 (permalink)
Personally, I'm critical of software I like. If I really think it has potential to be 500% more winning, I get critical, and let everyone know what I think, including the company. I look for potential, and I'm usually dissatisfied with what I get. 
Cakewalk has an incredible opportunity to either give us a really amazing new DAW in X3, or Y1, or Phantom1, or whatever, in a way that re-invents how we work, or to give is a really solid, polished, smooth, attractive, and reliable X3 in a way it has no boundaries of how it can address or fix issues in the future long-term, or how it can add new features without breaking things in the process.

I hope they had this in store when it was decided to either not release X2b or to keep it in the boiler for a bit longer. I imagine Cakewalk is fully aware of what's being said on KVR and Gearslutz etc. about Sonar, but there's no doubt they really want to silence those critics for a long time! My fingers are crossed that both of these will happen, even though the latter is uber-important to me.

Besides, Sonar is cheap when you break it down feature-by-feature...

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 15:09:04 (permalink)
mike_mccue
 I'm going to be real clear.

That would have been one of those rare occasions..... but ..... in the end you couldn't pull it off.
Somebody trying to be helpful on a user forum where people are looking for help is hubris in your book?
Jeez - my suggestion is just not read it. Which I often find myself doing with many of your posts - until you start to slog at people who I think are doing a service to the SONAR community.
And here we are again...

BEST REGARDS,

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
The Maillard Reaction
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 15:17:34 (permalink)
I'm just a bystander.

Every now and then I say what's on my mind and I take my lumps cause that's how that works.

best regards,
mike

Grumbleweed_
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 915
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 15:26:31 (permalink)
If you remove two of the "contributers" to that thread then it isn't much if a thread at all. One of them I recognise from the Propellerhead Forum and I would say he was one of the most reviled people on there.
I find it funny that he was too "sick" to get his list of Sonar bugs (from upstairs!) to allow someone to test them many days ago and never returned to that thread.
People are funny.

Grum.

Grumbleweed on Soundcloud
Grumbleweed on Bandcamp
Grumbleweed on Soundclick

Windows 10 Pro (64 bit), 3770K i7, 8 GB ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Cubase 9.5, Reason 10, CbB.
Rski
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 16:35:22 (permalink)
Yup.....Lots of folks.....just love to point the blame on our good ole Cakewalk.....Its tricky to pinpoint the faults that so many encounter, I had my share of quips too.....but careful thinking will usually sort that out

Yes colors are limited to wave files, but that's not going to encourage me to snark about how my universe has collapsed into a black hole.
The X series interface sky light is a step in the right direction as far as workflow is concern, so was the first Sonar series that went from Sonar 1 to Sonar 8.3 Sonar 1 with tabs was a welcome from those earlier spread sheet in the versions.

Soft synths have being the apple of my eye along with plug ins.... they improve like evrything else.....Its all about making music.....and that the bottom line
meh
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 431
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 16:50:07 (permalink)
CJaysMusic
If you cant 'Beat Em', 'Bash Em'

+1

SONAR Version 2017.09
HP Z-420 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3680 @3.50ghz 
32g memory
2tb disk space 
Win2008 Server R2 Standard 64-bit
TASCAM US-1641 interface
melmyers
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 16:51:45 (permalink)
What they're saying on KVR doesn't change my life. Sonar X2a is not perfect, that's for sure, but it is incredibly loaded with features and helps me make money. I am sorry that others have production-stopping problems with it, but so often I have seen Sonar haters post here, only to discover, thanks to helpful forum members, that they have been doing something wrong or have a piece of equipment that is hanging things up.

My advice to haters of Sonar or any other product is this: If a product doesn't work for you, buy something else. Quit wasting your life, your time and your talent by complaining...and move on to something that works for you. Vote with your money. There's nothing to be gained by running around saying, "See! Someone else hates it too!"

Every time KVR or even when someone here paints a negative picture of Sonar, it seems like some folks on this forum get insecure, as if they feel like second-class citizens because of the software they use. Again, if it doesn't work for you, get something else! If your car is dead in the driveway, you don't go out everyday and continue to try and start it and go to work, do you? You either fix it or get a new one!

In the grand scheme of things, Sonar must be doing pretty well. A few weeks ago, a survey was conducted on the UAD Forum. I don't believe it got a plug on this forum, so the survey was probably not tainted by a bunch of Sonar users joining the UAD Forum just to vote. Out of over 15 DAW's, Sonar came in a solid 4th, behind Cubase, Pro Tools and Logic, in that order. Sonar registered 14.11% in the sample. All other DAW's behind it were in single-digits.

Due to the expense of the UAD systems and plug-ins, UAD users are, for the most part, experienced and professional, so to have such a strong showing with that particular group shows that Sonar continues to be a top contender in the world of DAW's, no matter what they say at KVR.  

Mel Myers
Producer/Songwriter/Voiceover Talent
Sonar Platinum 64-bit/Intel Quad Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz 16GB RAM/LGA1155 Motherboard/Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit /Focusrite 18i20/Cakewalk A-800 Pro/UAD-2 Quad PCIe/& a black and white Pomeranian who thinks he's the boss
The Maillard Reaction
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 16:57:27 (permalink)
http://uadforum.com/general-discussion/14335-official-what-daw-s-do-you-use-poll.html

The poll had a total of 163 respondents.

What does that tell ya?

I'm going with "not much".

best regards,
mike

robert_e_bone
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 18:39:40 (permalink)
@mike_mccue

My intent was not to insult anybody, nor does anybody in this forum owe me anything whatsoever, nor did I state or infer that anyone out there does.  

I do what I can to help folks, and generally do my best to stay out of non-technical threads.

I participate in this forum to help those I can, and to get help when I need it.

There are, in fact, bugs in Sonar.  These can be frustrating, and a few of them are for me, and as such, it is not for me to tell someone else that their frustration with legitimate bugs is not valid.  Their frustration is every bit as valid as any that I have.

At the same time, someone who complains that X2a is a giant pile of steaming doo because it won't run on their 10-year old XP machine, or someone who hasn't bothered to read the manuals or watch tutorial videos gets upset when they lose a client because they haven't figured out how to use the product (and yet they felt compelled to put that unfamiliar version of Sonar in front of the client), is in my opinion a bit off-base.  Those folks are just as off-base as those that insist that nobody has any troubles at all with X2a.

I have never indicated X2a was without issues.  I HAVE indicated that in my experience, a lot of the things that crop up in the forum, such as latency issues, BitBridge issues, etc., are things that can be resolved, and I HAVE indicated that to the best of my knowledge, there are no global crashes in X2a.  I have also indicated that for MY workflow, on MY machine, for MY deliberate choices to run on a particular level of hardware with a deliberate choice to avoid using 32-bit plugins (particularly freeware ones) in a 64-bit environment, that I do not experience crashes.

All I try to do is encourage everybody to engage in positive discourse toward the common goal of helping each other figure out how to work past the issues that DO crop up.

I am certainly no brainiac, nor have I ever claimed to be.  I DO think I have a reasonable track record of helping ferret out enough information to where one or more folks in the forum end up helping others figure out how to resolve many of the presented issues.

I will continue to do my best to help anyone I can, and will do my best to do so in as neutral a stance as I can put myself.

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 18:57:43 (permalink)
Take heart... Cakewalk is posting videos every day on Facebook. I don't guess they would be doing that if they were folding the tent, and the videos are about how to do things in X2 so I wouldn't expect too many changes. Hopefully just improvements and fixes in X3 or whatever we get. I can't imagine that they will force touch on us or force us to use Windows 8. I could be wrong and they may eventually go all W8 but W7 is still too new to be dropped. Too many people would be forced to buy a new cmputer or a new OS and that would really cut into Sonar sales, I really don't see that happening.
Just trying to see the brighter side of things. Maybe I should consult my 8 Ball.

J

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 19:03:39 (permalink)
This is typical Mike Mccue turning things around so that people have to spend time defending themselves. BTW you all know that Mike does not have X2.

Bob you just keep doing what you have been doing. There are a lot of members that have you to thank for getting them up and running. 

Best
John
stevec
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 19:17:43 (permalink)
I think Mike is still unhappy that the SONAR X series exists, and that the "classic" 8.5 ceased to be developed.  Yes, others feel the same way (a few are around these parts) so he's not the only one.  He just tends to point out that fact more often.   I think Bapu puts him up to it.    

Anyhow... I really believe that the X series is doing quite well for CW and that they're doing just fine.   I could be wrong, just like anyone else.   But I guess we'll all know in the next six months or so if the typical release schedule is still intact.  I hope the next thing draws in even more users and helps to smooth things out in the universe. 

SteveC

Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);

jb101
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 19:20:38 (permalink)
John
This is typical Mike Mccue turning things around so that people have to spend time defending themselves. BTW you all know that Mike does not have X2.

Bob you just keep doing what you have been doing. There are a lot of members that have you to thank for getting them up and running. 

I'm with you there, John, both about McQ and Bob Bone.

Sonar Platinum
vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 20:28:30 (permalink)
Ahh the myth...  "If it works on my system and not yours it can't be a problem with the application."  And of course the application developers will always say the reason you are having problems is that there are too many configurations out there.  I have a degree in programming and spent 8 years doing tech support for HP servers so I know a little about computers.  Sonar has always been problematic for me except for 8.5.  No other app has had that many problems.  I've been doing computer audio since Dr T's Sequencer on a Commodore 64 so I have some perspective.  If it works on your system and not someone else's your it is misguided to assume that that fault cannot be the application.
robert_e_bone
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 20:48:19 (permalink)
I have not and do not claim that.  I have only indicated that I am not aware of any global show stoppers, and that X2a works on MY system.

I CAN say that a great many times I have helped someone, the cause has overwhelmingly one of the following:

Operator error
Settings error
Hardware error
Drivers error
Antivirus interference
Plugin error

The above apply to crashes, and are based on my experience.  There are indeed bugs within Sonar that while not producing crashes, are hopefully going to be addressed at some point.

Bob Bone

jimkleban
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
Re: Sonar getting trashed on KVR... 2013/08/21 21:15:55 (permalink)
Yup, this an easy conversation to have... no one makes me use SONAR.  If it stopped working for me, I would get frustrated but I would come to this forum first and describe my problem to see if anyone else had the same issue before. And more often than not, it turns out to be a setting here or there that needs tweaking and I am back in business.  I say that to me, that part of the value of SONAR is this actual forum, would provides quicker, better and more support than the CW support system.

I have a very advanced system running SONAR... WIN 8 (with touch monitors), remote controlling with a surface RT, running a QUAD processor with a Thunderbolt MOBO with a PCIe UAD2 DSP card and an APOLLO interface connected via TB.... this is even non supported by UAD2.  Sonar is purring like a lion... giving me ZERO issues at the moment.

Do I cringe and wait before the noise settles down on new versions from the bakers?  Yup, but I wait for the noise to quiet down before I try and test the latest version.  I am sure you all remember the fiasco of the version that created the MOTOR BOATING audio for most of us. But, did the bakers fix that rather quickly?  I thought so, but not quick enough for some users I suppose.

I do feel for the users/systems that don't play nice with SONAR but I bet every DAW has a percentage of their users with the same type of issues, no?  But to reiterate, no one makes me or anyone else use SONAR, I for one, actually like it and I have been using SONAR since CAKEWALK 1 was released back in the early 90s. I was a DR T's user on an ATARI ST prior to that and picked CW for my first PC because it was a bit similar to DR T's.  

I can say that every problem I have had (and I have had my share of them) were all worked out over time with the help of the many experienced users on this very forum and I THANK each and one of you (them) who have helped me over the years.

I agree with all the comments that basically stated that if you don't like SONAR, go find another piece of software that works better for you.  Has complaining every gotten posiitve results????

Sorry for the ranting,
Jim

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
Apollo Duo (via TB)
UAD Quad
UAD Duo
WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
Splat (latest version)
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1