Helpful ReplySonar really needs a sampler.

Page: << < ..1112 > Showing page 11 of 12
Author
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/11 21:47:34 (permalink)
interpolated
Nothing beats NI Kontakt my eyes. There's a few others out there though. Kontakt seems to good support though.

I don't think anyone wants something to compete with Kontakt. In fact, that would be overkill .
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/11 22:16:49 (permalink)
No but you could have one with dedicated sample sets. A few odd effects like modulation, eq, dynamics, grouping, sample zones, layers, modulation matrices. Perhaps a standard version and paid for advanced version.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/11 22:49:22 (permalink)
dubdisciple
One of the frustrations I have had with this forum is that there are few who really get it when it comes to how workflow with samples is a bigger chore than it had to be. Hate to compare competing products, but i was able to do what i have always wanted to do within minutes of using studio one. The sampler is no competition to kontakt or other third party solutions, but it is well integrated. I can take a sample, chop it and select "send to sample one " and it is mapped instantly. Using Rapture as a sampler is clunky af. In Sonar I use third party solutions but not nearly as effecient as other programs. It is easy to dismiss us by saying " just use another program", but we obviously love sonar or we wouldn't ask. I'm not mad. I realise having it all is a challenge. I just think cakewalk could accommodate such a request and it would be useful for other tasks.

It would be interesting to learn more about your workflow with a sampler.  For instance, what do you do in the DAW with a sampler that would make an integrated sampler more efficient?

Do you need to just grab a sample, and have it mapped across your keyboard on the fly? Or do you need more detailed editing and keyboard mapping?    I like the free TX16Wx sampler as a plugin, as it offers all the detailed editing that I could need.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/11 22:49:52 (permalink)
While I do understand the OP and their intent, and also agree that having a basic "simpler" sampler would be great for young and new SONAR users, I think ultimately if you're serious about your craft, electronic music making included, you will go ahead and buy a sampler program of some sort. Yes, Live comes with Simpler, but you have to upgrade to get Sampler. 

So that said SONAR comes with a variety of ways to do this. SD3, DropZone, Cyclone, Rapture (Pro only?). Plus, you can just use SONAR itself! If you watch advanced Ableton videos, you'll notice many of the users don't even bother with the Session view and will just use the linear view to drop audio in and mangle it within Ableton itself and not with Simpler. well, good news is that mostly you can do the same in SONAR!

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
dubdisciple
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/11 23:28:34 (permalink)
abacab
dubdisciple
One of the frustrations I have had with this forum is that there are few who really get it when it comes to how workflow with samples is a bigger chore than it had to be. Hate to compare competing products, but i was able to do what i have always wanted to do within minutes of using studio one. The sampler is no competition to kontakt or other third party solutions, but it is well integrated. I can take a sample, chop it and select "send to sample one " and it is mapped instantly. Using Rapture as a sampler is clunky af. In Sonar I use third party solutions but not nearly as effecient as other programs. It is easy to dismiss us by saying " just use another program", but we obviously love sonar or we wouldn't ask. I'm not mad. I realise having it all is a challenge. I just think cakewalk could accommodate such a request and it would be useful for other tasks.

It would be interesting to learn more about your workflow with a sampler.  For instance, what do you do in the DAW with a sampler that would make an integrated sampler more efficient?

Do you need to just grab a sample, and have it mapped across your keyboard on the fly? Or do you need more detailed editing and keyboard mapping?    I like the free TX16Wx sampler as a plugin, as it offers all the detailed editing that I could need.

Their are multiple ways a sampler is used.  It depends on what style you are trying to create.

For creating southern styles like Trap, the primary bass instrument is often an 808 sample (and when i use the term 808 sample i don't always literally from an 808, but generic term for boomy sythesized kick in s similar style) hrown into a sampler and played. You would think just creating a kick in a synth and then adding distortion and adjusting sustain and release would give similar sound, but not really. the time it takes to get it "grimey" enough usually isn't worth it. I do occasionally use this method, but trust me, using a long 808 sample usually gives better results.

if you chop, stretch and slice samples, integration is a huge time saver. For example, if i wanted to make something in the style of a J-Dills or alchemist, i need to sample, possibly time stretch and then chop samples and map across keyboard/drum pads for . A workflow comparison for this:

Studio One or Logic:  import song or sample loop, find desirable sample, trim, bounce in place, slice (i have one key shortcuts to slice at different resolutions), right-click send to sample one (exs24 in logic) done

Ableton:  same except minor differences on how slices are automatically mapped

Sonar with Geist: import song, use spitter plug-in, capture desired part in geist's sampler, slice in geist. create instance of geist in sonar

Sonar stand alone: import song, find desirable part,  (option A)manually slice, (option b) use audiosnap or loop constructor to detect transients and slice.  import samples into vst capable of working with multiple samples.

the last one doesn't sound like that much more work compared to others but in terms of time , the 1st two literally takes seconds once you decide what part you need.

In addition, modern hip-hop production often uses pitched drum components that are often triggered one shot sample.  Kits are typically built from ground up.auditioning samples needs to be quick and switching them within instrument/sampler needs to be quick. being able to layer sounds quickly is a must as well.
dubdisciple
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/11 23:31:52 (permalink)
and again, not trying to bash on sonar.  i can go on all day about things that frustrate me with ableton and studio one.  if you have ever got the dreaded repeated midi note glitch, you know what i mean. i just have watched person after person sit down in sonar and find themselves bogged down in workarounds when it comes to certain production styles and just get right to it in Reason, fl, ableton, studio one and Logic

chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/12 00:40:10 (permalink)
Cant you just drop the sample on to session drummer 3 and use that as a triggering device ?
It has pitch tuning, panning, exc. you can then use your track FX to add grime, dirt.

I know sometimes its easier to just want a new stand alone feature, or a new toy to use, but there are many hidden gems in Sonar like Session drummer. All you have to do is drag and drop the sample on to one of the kit pieces and its ready for midi trigger.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

dubdisciple
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/12 02:41:49 (permalink)
chuckebaby
Cant you just drop the sample on to session drummer 3 and use that as a triggering device ?
It has pitch tuning, panning, exc. you can then use your track FX to add grime, dirt.

I know sometimes its easier to just want a new stand alone feature, or a new toy to use, but there are many hidden gems in Sonar like Session drummer. All you have to do is drag and drop the sample on to one of the kit pieces and its ready for midi trigger.

I have used that technique.  it works for some things for some things and not so well for others. I believe session drummer should get more love.  it has a few shortcomings but with right samples loaded, it does a decent job.  i can't stress enough that i am not trying to make a big deal of this.  I just happened to come to this thread because of a related topic i made. You can use that technique for using one shot drums to make a kit, but the 808 thing doesn't work.   
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/12 04:08:58 (permalink)
dubdisciple
You would think just creating a kick in a synth and then adding distortion and adjusting sustain and release would give similar sound, but not really. the time it takes to get it "grimey" enough usually isn't worth it. I do occasionally use this method, but trust me, using a long 808 sample usually gives better results.

The Kick Start Rapture Expansion pack (sorry, don't remember which update included it) has a whole bunch of these sounds for instant gratification. It was paired with the Kick Master FX Chain, which is optimized for processing kick drums (from Kick Start or anything else, for that matter). I came up with it specifically because I wanted to get modifiable kick drums in SONAR in seconds.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
dubdisciple
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/12 05:40:14 (permalink)
Thanks!!
cyberzip
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 613
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/12 11:53:06 (permalink)
I think a new and modern integrated sampler would be great addition to Sonar. A sampler built-in into Sonar could be integrated in the GUI in ways that 3rd party VSTs never could.

For inspiration, check out how the samplers are integrated in Cubase and Live:

Sampler Track | New Features in Cubase Pro 9
https://youtu.be/ko8pWheSufg?t=43s

10 Reasons You Should Be Using Sampler [Ableton Tips]
https://youtu.be/ZlX9-d3Asd8?t=5m43s
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/12 12:53:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2017/08/13 01:14:48
Simpler is amazingly useful and quick. While I appreciate the many ways you can accomplish the same (or a similar) effect in Sonar, workflow matters. I think the people who don't appreciate this simply don't produce EDM or hiphop very much. Similarly, many Ableton users don't get why grouped clips and take comping are so important. The right tool for the right job, and all that. But I agree with Dub that Sonar could easily take a major jump in EDM/Hiphop production with the inclusion of a simple, tightly integrated sampler. Perhaps even some "macros" would work. You know, a "slice 16ths to Session Drummer command", or a "make Rapture instrument" kind of thing. As said, it's mostly not the lack of functionality but the speed of process.
Anderton
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/12 19:03:22 (permalink)
I think the Matrix view could get people 85% there with a couple mods. I use Audiosnap to slice stuff and drag slices into Matrix View cells, then play the slices in real time. To go beyond the MV's performance orientation, you'd need to be able to route a MIDI track (not just MIDI remote control) to the Matrix View.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/12 22:08:50 (permalink)
After spending half an hour trying to build a really simple vocal lead sound with the much too complicated Kontakt, I'm all the more convinced a basic, quick-workflow sampler would be a great boon. This would've been done in 20 seconds with Simpler by the way but I needed it to be cross-platform.

Who knew that simple legato portamento was not possible with the regular Kontakt engine (what a weird omission?!), instead you need a script (thankfully a factory one).
dubdisciple
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/13 01:15:49 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
Simpler is amazingly useful and quick. While I appreciate the many ways you can accomplish the same (or a similar) effect in Sonar, workflow matters. I think the people who don't appreciate this simply don't produce EDM or hiphop very much. Similarly, many Ableton users don't get why grouped clips and take comping are so important. The right tool for the right job, and all that. But I agree with Dub that Sonar could easily take a major jump in EDM/Hiphop production with the inclusion of a simple, tightly integrated sampler. Perhaps even some "macros" would work. You know, a "slice 16ths to Session Drummer command", or a "make Rapture instrument" kind of thing. As said, it's mostly not the lack of functionality but the speed of process.

very well put.  
shawn@trustmedia.tv
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2136
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/14 04:07:54 (permalink)
where can i download BeatScape? i own it... - s

Studio SONAR X3. Axiom 25 midi controller, DUNE 2, Producer Content, Good Times, Bandlab Mojo

ljb500
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 51
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/14 05:15:28 (permalink)
Anderton
I think the Matrix view could get people 85% there with a couple mods. I use Audiosnap to slice stuff and drag slices into Matrix View cells, then play the slices in real time. To go beyond the MV's performance orientation, you'd need to be able to route a MIDI track (not just MIDI remote control) to the Matrix View.

I was playing with this just yesterday doing the same thing and using my mpd to trigger samples, it could work but really needs an option to map the slices straight across the cells like in ableton with drum maps or cubase with groove agent. Also need a few more editing options etc. and I think it could be workable. Also an ability to create templates for cell layout and behaviour would be very useful.

The other option would be to be able to play/map slices from an acid loop directly to a midi keyboard same as in ableton simpler, if you had the option to do this directly from the loop construction window and add in a few extra editing options I think you'd be on to a winner. This is something you can even do in Ableton lite so i can't believe that sonar doesn't offer something similar tbh.
KPerry
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3120
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/14 21:11:19 (permalink)
Didn't the old Cyclone do something like that (I may well be misremembering to be honest)?

Windows 7 x64 SP1
SONAR x86/x64

Intel Q6600/8GB
MOTU UltraliteMk3 (USB/ASIO)
Edirol PCR300
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/14 21:18:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2017/08/15 00:38:02
A large part of the DAW market these days is kids who want to make hip hop or EDM or other electronic based modern styles in their bedrooms on their laptops. And I think where Sonar loses out is that before these kids have even chosen a DAW, they are searching for things like "how to make a beat" on YouTube and they're watching a bunch of cool tutorials which show how to do it easily using stock tools in DAW's like Ableton and FL. So by the time they've watched a few of those to whet their appetites, they've already made up their mind which DAW they want, and it's not Sonar.

Most of these kids are struggling to afford a DAW in the first place - they're often relying on their parents to buy it for their birthday or Christmas present, or they've saved up (that's if they're not torrenting it). So they're not really receptive to the idea that they're going to have to spend another $100+ to buy a plugin which replicates the functionality of what you can do in FL without spending another cent. Personally I'd love to see an addition like this to Sonar, even though I own some great 3rd party drum and sampling tools. I'd like to see some good tutorial videos out there competing with Ableton and FL and showing kids how easy it is to get a "banging" beat going in Sonar. God knows Sonar comes with enough drum samples in its library (at least I presume it still does).

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Anderton
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/14 21:28:45 (permalink)
sharke
A large part of the DAW market these days is kids who want to make hip hop or EDM or other electronic based modern styles in their bedrooms on their laptops. And I think where Sonar loses out is that before these kids have even chosen a DAW, they are searching for things like "how to make a beat" on YouTube and they're watching a bunch of cool tutorials which show how to do it easily using stock tools in DAW's like Ableton and FL. So by the time they've watched a few of those to whet their appetites, they've already made up their mind which DAW they want, and it's not Sonar.

I agree that what you're describing is an extremely likely scenario. If SONAR could add features that help people make/compose music, and do so in a way that would be comfortable to both the "beats" people and the more traditional recording folks, I think that would help retain existing users and possibly even get some new ones (specifically, the people who find "beats"-oriented programs overly limiting past a certain point).

To me, programs like FL Studio are designed more for a "composer" mentality whereas SONAR, Pro Tools, etc. are designed more for a "player" mentality.

interpolated
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/14 21:59:37 (permalink)
Just reading through the posts there and read the comment about Sonar being primarily aimed at Guitarists. That is such a stupid statement really. So does that mean Live is primarily aimed at performers and Reason is aimed at people who want to make music without buying any hardware?

OK maybe the music score isn't great and the emphasis is on improving the interface and features now. I would love it to have an offline editing mode where you can adjust things without running through the whole project in real time.

Especially when effects are specific to one part. I know it sort of does however it provide no preview of the audio and loses focus. I would love a button in the panel which allows you to do this and then select a track or clip you want to exclusively process whilst effectively bypassing the other effects.

So it can be use more like an audio editor works. You already have FX chains, so I think this would be a neat addition as you won't feel compelled to use a 3rd party editor for post production stuff.

I have computer stuff.

bladetragic
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 503
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/14 22:13:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sharke 2017/08/15 00:54:21
sharke

Most of these kids are struggling to afford a DAW in the first place - they're often relying on their parents to buy it for their birthday or Christmas present, or they've saved up (that's if they're not torrenting it). So they're not really receptive to the idea that they're going to have to spend another $100+ to buy a plugin which replicates the functionality of what you can do in FL without spending another cent. Personally I'd love to see an addition like this to Sonar, even though I own some great 3rd party drum and sampling tools. I'd like to see some good tutorial videos out there competing with Ableton and FL and showing kids how easy it is to get a "banging" beat going in Sonar. God knows Sonar comes with enough drum samples in its library (at least I presume it still does).

That is the point I was trying to hammer home for so long in this thread back when I originally made it. LOL. Glad to see it wasn't totally lost on everyone.
interpolated
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/14 22:20:39 (permalink)
Yes of course, there are different editions of Sonar. However none really offer that instant gratification like reason, live or fruit loops studio.

Not even cubase offers that..I think you can make music in almost any daw with a bit of imagination,

I have computer stuff.

sharke
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/15 00:53:52 (permalink)
Anderton
sharke

I agree that what you're describing is an extremely likely scenario. If SONAR could add features that help people make/compose music, and do so in a way that would be comfortable to both the "beats" people and the more traditional recording folks, I think that would help retain existing users and possibly even get some new ones (specifically, the people who find "beats"-oriented programs overly limiting past a certain point).

To me, programs like FL Studio are designed more for a "composer" mentality whereas SONAR, Pro Tools, etc. are designed more for a "player" mentality.

This is what I feel is not being drummed home about Sonar out there in the marketplace - that it is (or can be) the best of both worlds. It's what attracted me to it in the first place. I wanted to make electronic music, but I also wanted to record and edit guitar parts. After much back and forth between demoing DAW's (and a shortish spell with Pro Tools) I felt most at home with Sonar. I don't think many kids are demoing the full range of DAW's though - they're not even really looking into it thoroughly. They're just going with the ones they see their favorite producers using, and the ones they see in online tutorials. Those tutorials are quite persuasive. They see something cool being done, and they want to replicate it with exactly the same tools in the video. They're not thinking "hang on, maybe I could do that with Sonar if I employ a couple of workarounds." 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
dubdisciple
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/15 01:35:34 (permalink)
Over the years, Cakewalk has introduced a lot of "almost tools" or they were badly timed. Cyclone was potentially a great junglist instrument, but it came after that movement started dying.  Beatsscape LOOKED like the MPC style tool in demand at the time, but was just a clunky and not useful.  I do realize the challenges involved with providing what several of us have indicated since such integration likely requires changes on a core level.  In the meantime , Sonar still has awesome tools and effects. still not 100% it's possible, but i think if i set up the right templates, I could make it not so frustrating.  Just will take initial work to setup.
ljb500
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 51
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/15 05:34:40 (permalink)
sharke
Anderton
sharke

This is what I feel is not being drummed home about Sonar out there in the marketplace - that it is (or can be) the best of both worlds. It's what attracted me to it in the first place. I wanted to make electronic music, but I also wanted to record and edit guitar parts. After much back and forth between demoing DAW's (and a shortish spell with Pro Tools) I felt most at home with Sonar. I don't think many kids are demoing the full range of DAW's though - they're not even really looking into it thoroughly. They're just going with the ones they see their favorite producers using, and the ones they see in online tutorials. Those tutorials are quite persuasive. They see something cool being done, and they want to replicate it with exactly the same tools in the video. They're not thinking "hang on, maybe I could do that with Sonar if I employ a couple of workarounds." 

I did actually think about a work around when looking at and demoing daws, I figured I could use the free tx16 sampler to chop my beats and play them back pretty easily. It actually works a treat but a tightly integrated built in sampler would be much more preferable.

Same as you I want to work with electronic styles and also interested in sampled beats, I've demoed most of the main daws aside from studio one which I ruled out because vst support costs extra which for me was a major turn off but they do all include a sampler with drag and drop and the ability to easily map a sliced sample to keys or pads with one click. Even Ableton lite can do this and that's almost free, in fact I don't even think you need to map slices in simpler, they are already assigned when you slice.

As for people mentioning cyclone, it's old as the hills and I'm convinced cakewalk only include as a filler. It doesn't seem to work properly, integration is poor and its function has been superseded and improved upon by the matrix view anyway. It really is good for nothing.
dubdisciple
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/15 07:58:18 (permalink)
ljv, i agree that extra for vst support in studio one is silly. The 32 bit thing is equally silly. I'm sure you are aware the flagship program includes midi support and 64 bit as well, but everyone cant afford flagship program
abacab
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/15 15:21:24 (permalink)
Anderton
sharke

Maybe they could tie in a basic sampler, with a real integrated wave editor.  I think all users would welcome an enhanced wave editor tool, which could be useful to the "players", as well as the beat producers.

Then allow it to tie in directly to Matrix View.  Take your waves, slice them up, and drop them into Matrix cells in one smooth process ...

abacab
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/15 15:25:59 (permalink)
shawn@trustmedia.tv
where can i download BeatScape? i own it... - s

As far as I can tell, Beatscape only shipped on the Sonar 8 and 8.5 DVD-ROM installation disks.  It came on it's own separate disk.

sharke
Re: Sonar really needs a sampler. 2017/08/15 16:35:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Russ.15 2017/08/21 03:54:26
abacab
Anderton
sharke

Maybe they could tie in a basic sampler, with a real integrated wave editor.  I think all users would welcome an enhanced wave editor tool, which could be useful to the "players", as well as the beat producers.

Then allow it to tie in directly to Matrix View.  Take your waves, slice them up, and drop them into Matrix cells in one smooth process ...

Ironically enough, the simple "tracker" program OctaMed which I used to make Aphex-Twin style beats in the early 90's, made it easier to edit waveforms and chop beats than the stock Sonar tools. Even though I was having to take the loop size in bytes, divide it by 8 and then sit and work out the start/end points for each slice in bytes (with a calculator)! 

Geist has beat chopping right. You just load a sample with "slice" selected and it automatically slices at the transients and distributes the slices to its pads, grouping them in terms of kick/snare/hat etc. You can adjust the transient sensitivity to get more or less slices, or you can choose to divide the loop up into equal parts. It then recreates the loop perfectly in its step sequencer, applying small offsets for any hits that come slightly before or after the beat. 

Kontakt is the industry standard sampler, but when it comes to chopping up loops (which is a major part of sampling culture), it's overly complex and fiddly. Cakewalk really wouldn't need to go overboard on a stock sampler, just a few chopping and mapping functions along with some basic settings for each pad (like pitch, velocity sensitivity, maybe a simple filter, and ability to select an audio output). 

James
Page: << < ..1112 > Showing page 11 of 12
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1