Helpful ReplySonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story)

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Sepheritoh
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 585
2012/12/07 16:48:51 (permalink)

Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story)

I am on X2 (64bit). Under certain circumstances, Sonar will not stop at the end of the project and continue to play for another 4 or 5 minutes. This is an irritating bug, and a search on this forum has once again confirmed that it is a know bug for a long time and has been reported to Cakewalk many times. The fact that Cakewalk is not interested in fixing it has caused them, and me serious business. I checked my option stop at project end is ticked and there are no midi events or automation events after the real project end.

And now for the long and winded story. Names places and story details have been changed to protect the innocent.

I have been bugging a big time engineer friend with a big time studio (and a wall full of gold disks) a long time to throw some work my way, which he has kindly done. I've done some orchestrations for some of his projects. Most of the time pretty successfully. Well, Mr big-time-engineer uses that other big-time-DAW that some people consider the industry standard. Needless to repeat I use this non-industry-standard DAW called Sonar. Mr-big-time engineer has this big-time-client who wanted some orchestrations done, so Mr-big-time-engineer threw the bone my way, who did this most beautifully job. The whole job was done in Notion 4 (another not-so-industry-standard-I-know) and Sonar and rendered down to a big wav. After a night-through-no-sleep session I am done. With pride in my step I walked into Mr-big-time-engineer's studio, with the big-time-client anxiously waiting on Mr-big-time-engineer's leather sofa in the back of the studio. I handed the CD to Mr-big-time-engineer, who duly pop in said CD into computer and copied the wav file into the project for listening pleasure of  the big-time-client, casually questioning me "Why is the file 5 and a half minutes. The song is only 3". Feeling a little confused I had no answer to offer, which was OK then, as Mr-big-time-engineer started playing the song for the big-time-cient, who giggled of pleasure upon hearing the results. The big-time-cient immediately demanded a copy of song on CD to play for the producer, sponsor, friend, mother, and any other random persons he would convince to listen to it. Mr-big-time-engineer duly complied to request and burned project to CD. Upon investigating CD before handing it to the big-time-client Mr-big-time-engineer suddenly let go of one load and ugly swearword. "This song is 5 and a half minutes. What is wrong here" or something similar with a few extra F words. Then Mr-big-time-engineer looked at me and asked THE question: "Eric, are you still using that ......... software? If I remember right this has been a problem with Sonar for a long time. When are you going to move over to a professinal DAW?"

OK, needles to say, Mr-big-time-engineer had to save the day by burning another CD and the big-time-client could not stop laughing. Finally commenting something like "If you want to play with the pros you have to start playing like a pro" before leaving.

Needless to say I felt like a total donkey and probably lost out on a big break. Mr-big-time-engineer has many other orchestrators to call upon. I embarred him in from of a client, something that will not be mentioned again, but remembered forever. The big-time-client will probably never ask for my services again. At the end of this story I die in a gutter, a forgotten genius artist with no penny to spare.

Cakewalk. When are you planning to solve this problem?
Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/07 17:57:02 (permalink)
In my experience, there is ALWAYS something out there causing the project to play longer than where you THINK it should stop.

Have you checked for Tempo changes? Meter/Key changes? These events do not get recorded in the Event List

Are there any hidden/archived tracks with data out there? Have you checked the Event List displaying ALL tracks simultaneously.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Sepheritoh
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/07 18:10:18 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey

In my experience, there is ALWAYS something out there causing the project to play longer than where you THINK it should stop.

Off course there is. We just have to find it and avoid Sonar from putting it there

Have you checked for Tempo changes? Meter/Key changes? These events do not get recorded in the Event List

Checked, Checked

Are there any hidden/archived tracks with data out there? Have you checked the Event List displaying ALL tracks simultaneously.

No, Checked

John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/07 18:46:42 (permalink)
This is trivial. Select all, then set the from and to points to choose what you want to export. IMO, anyone nit picking this as a YOU'RE PROGRAMS NOT FOR TEH PROS belittlement is being an asshat.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
perfectprint
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 862
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/08 01:09:47 (permalink)
sounds like MRBTE is an unprofessional hypocrite. He made the same oversight as you did by neglecting to check the length and then tried to save face by pointlessly blaming you for something so trivial, infront of a client no less. Its nothing to do with sonar at all. Set your timeline selection before bouncing and then give your final file a proof listen. Standard practice.

Sonar Platinum                      

Sepheritoh
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/08 01:45:50 (permalink)
Ah. We all agree that MrBTE was a donkey's digg, but you do not tell a possible source of future riches such when a client of more potential future riches are around.

At end of the day, I was stupid and showed inexperience to have made the mistake, and thanks for the tips on how to work around it and avoid it in future. Problem is that I should use a workaround to avoid an bug in the software I use in the first place.

We all know here that big-time-industry standard is not perfect. However, Sonar wants to compete with that market and should be a little more than perfect than the not-so-perfect-industry-standard in order to win the market over.
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/08 02:58:32 (permalink)
I'm with bristol_jonesey. In my experience there is always an event somewhere that is present that keeps Sonar going. Nothing that has ever appeared on it's own either. YMMV of course.

Not sure I'd be rendering down files of such importance and handing them over without having listened to them first either, but that's just me.
Jeff M.
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 541
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/08 04:50:49 (permalink)
Yeah, def check the rendered .wavs.

I remember getting a light scolding from an ME for truncating a stem before a verb tail ended completely.
Sounded ok to me ..and it was barely audible ..particularly since it was deep in the fade out, but cranked in nice monitors it was clear I should have let it run out a few more secs.

Lessons learned.

Platinum 64
RME UCX | Studio Cat Platinum: i7 2700k @ 4.5Ghz | 16Gb DDR3 | Win 7 64
Komplete Kontrol S61
Gibson, Jackson, Parker, Suhr, Breedlove, Taylor, Lakland, Peavey, Marshall, Kemper
joel77
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 489
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/08 06:03:27 (permalink)
That kind of thing can happen with any DAW. 

Like Karl, I ALWAYS listen completely through a rendered take before handing it over to a client. Just best practice.

Joel  Glaser
Studio 52     

God Bless America
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sonar x64, Win 7 Pro, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 
Intel i7-930 2.86GHz dual quad core, 12GB Corsair DDL3,
Asus ATI Radion HD 4350, WD 500 GB SATA, 
Dual WD 1TB SATA HDs, ME RayDAT, Alesis HD24XR - A/D-D/A

https://www.facebook.com/...dio-52/811309178917929
www.thebrothersglaser.com
Bristol_Jonesey
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/08 07:59:11 (permalink)
Sepheritoh

Bristol_Jonesey

Off course there is. We just have to find it and avoid Sonar from putting it there

Or avoid putting it there in the first place 

Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
SuperG
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1371
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/08 08:44:25 (permalink)
Somehow, I just knew this thread was going to be a backlash: that error is the kind of boneheaded thing that can happen to anyone.

Still, in this day and age, people are quick to blame 'the computer' whenever things go stray.

Sidroe
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1954
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/08 08:58:54 (permalink)
As to the problem, I have found that for some reason in some projects Sonar extends the length of the piano roll. See if when you open the project some midi tracks are extended out beyond the actual end of the track. I sometimes have to click and drag the extension back to the actual end of the track in order for it to end playback at the true end. I don't know if this is what you are encountering but I am finding this in X2.

Sonar Platinum, Sonar X3e, Sonar X2a , Sonar X1 Expanded and 8.5.3 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 10 on a Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop with i7 @ 2.4 quad and 8 gigs of RAM and secondary WD 1 Tb drive, Windows 10 desktop, Asus i5 @ 3.2 quad, 12 gigs RAM, 1 Tb drive, 1 500 gig drive, MOTU 24io, 2 Roland Studio Captures, Saffire 6 USB for laptop, Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer, Alesis Monitor 2s, Event BAS 20/20s, Roland Micro-Monitor BA-8s, and 45 years worth of collecting FX, Mics, Amps, Guitars, and Keyboards!
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/08 10:21:00 (permalink)
I honestly think this is just a case of it not working right when you use it wrong. Tell the program what time range to export. This is not a bug. 

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/08 10:45:06 (permalink)
um... not to be harsh but I like triple check my squeaks and squawks before even tossing it up on Soundcloud for you guys. If I was getting paid or it was a potentially career making/breaking moment I'd listen to that bugger until my ears bled to make sure it was right.

Also I've never used the stop at end thingy and my tunes end up the correct length. Just gotta remember to hit the spacebar before walking away from the DAW to stop playback.
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/08 10:46:49 (permalink)
Oh and MBTE sounds like an arse. Pleased with the content but bent out of shape about something so trivial? WTH?
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/08 12:02:47 (permalink)
As far as Sonar playing on after the song is supposed to end.  I have had that happen but I just hit the stop  and the song stops.
Looking at it that way, to call it a bug to me is bit premature.  If after you take a long hard look at the total events in that project you mat solve the issue. 

The notion of having to select a time range isn't a bad idea but even so editing the resulting wave file will do the same thing.  

The only problem is waiting for the end to occur. 

Most if not all causes for this behavior is due to some event further out on the time line. In the past we would advise that using the Event List to see if something is placed way out is present has generally proved effective.

The reason I just said I hit the stop is because it weas an unimportant issue for me with that song and I didn't want at that time to investigate it further.

Other songs stop when they should so it has to be something in that project.

What really bothers me about your story is they came to you for your creativity. They wanted to "pick your brain" for content in their project. If you delivered that content they have no gripe what so ever and the next time they try to humiliate you you need to explain that you provided exactly what they asked for. If that is not good enough for them than in future tell them to seek out some one else they can kick around. I have to wonder what was going with them and just how much payment you received from them and if it wasn't a way to not pay what your contribution was actually worth.  

Creativity is the most expensive of any project and is often not given the value it should get simply because the ones with the money don't want to pay for it.

They will abuse anyone in order to keep their costs low. DO NOT LET IT EFFECT YOU.

They are using you, don't let that happen ever again.  

Best
John
SuperG
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1371
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/08 15:10:00 (permalink)
Actually, too much 'extra' time isn't the usual 'issue' - it's getting your effect tails chopped off by default. In Sonar, you have to manually select more time than the piece just so your reverb doesn't sound like it got hit with an axe. It would be nice if there were someway you could just tell Sonar to run past some certain amount of time - (anybody?). 

Another one is Sonar is sensitive to which audio tracks (or not) are selected when rendering - despite the 'Export' dialog (really should be named 'Render'..) showing 'Entire Mix'.

kevo
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1038
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/08 16:27:06 (permalink)
SuperG

Actually, too much 'extra' time isn't the usual 'issue' - it's getting your effect tails chopped off by default. In Sonar, you have to manually select more time than the piece just so your reverb doesn't sound like it got hit with an axe. It would be nice if there were someway you could just tell Sonar to run past some certain amount of time - (anybody?). 

Another one is Sonar is sensitive to which audio tracks (or not) are selected when rendering - despite the 'Export' dialog (really should be named 'Render'..) showing 'Entire Mix'.

Simple...

Go to the place where you want rendering to stop. Arm an audio track, and record a second of silence. Or you can copy a piece of Audio from the project and mute the clip.
You can place a midi note at the place in the project you want rendering to stop. Make sure the note is muted.

There are more ways to do this btw...

Intel BOXDZ77BH-55K Intel 7 Series Motherboard - Intel Core i5-3570K - 8GB Patriot G2 Series PC3-12800, DDR3 1600MHz - Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 - Sonar Plat - Not Overclocked
rog857
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 74
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/10 15:47:13 (permalink)
Hi Folks, I've got the same problem. When exporting, the song runs past the end point for about 7 seconds. I've checked the events list and piano roll--nothing past the end point. When I go to export I deselect "fast bounce", thinking I'll just hit the space bar at the end point. Trouble is the program keeps going 7 seconds past the end point. I'm not sure how to "set the timeline selection before bouncing" as perfectprint suggested. Any ideas? Many thanks! Mike

Sonar Platinum,, UA-25EX, Daking Mic-Pre One, Yamaha HS 50M near field monitors, Toshiba Satellite A505; Windows 10 Home Premium; 64 bit operating system; processor-Intel i5; 4 GHZ; RAM-4GB; Western Digital external HD; Yamaha DGX-220 keyboard, Martin, Ovation, Gibson, Gretsch guitars.
Bristol_Jonesey
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/10 16:09:51 (permalink)
kevo

SuperG

Simple...

Go to the place where you want rendering to stop. Arm an audio track, and record a second of silence. Or you can copy a piece of Audio from the project and mute the clip.
You can place a midi note at the place in the project you want rendering to stop. Make sure the note is muted.

There are more ways to do this btw...

You don't even have to do that - you could, either:

1. slip edit a Mid clip out to the desired "stop" point
  2. insert a marker
  3. insert an automation node

There are many simple ways to force Sonar to keep on playing

Bristol_Jonesey
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/10 16:10:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby karhide 2017/02/16 02:12:24
rog857

Hi Folks, I've got the same problem. When exporting, the song runs past the end point for about 7 seconds. I've checked the events list and piano roll--nothing past the end point. When I go to export I deselect "fast bounce", thinking I'll just hit the space bar at the end point. Trouble is the program keeps going 7 seconds past the end point. I'm not sure how to "set the timeline selection before bouncing" as perfectprint suggested. Any ideas? Many thanks! Mike

Select all (ctrl + a)

Then with your mouse, swipe across the time ruler in Track View to narrow your selection down.

deved.com
  • Total Posts : 75
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/10 16:11:56 (permalink)
Just curious (and I get the same problem of Sonar playing forever or the opposite, truncating a verb trail)... How does Sonar know what the end of a project is? What event does it use to stop? Would be cool to be able place a stop point in purposely.
Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/10 17:14:17 (permalink)
What you're missing is, end of project is not end of track. If you're working on a track in a project that is shorter than the longest track in the project, Sonar keeps going until the end of the project, not the track. Select the tracks, the individual clips you want, and it won't happen. That's the seperation method.

Craig DuBuc
Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/10 17:19:26 (permalink)
deved.com

Just curious (and I get the same problem of Sonar playing forever or the opposite, truncating a verb trail)... How does Sonar know what the end of a project is? What event does it use to stop? Would be cool to be able place a stop point in purposely.

Sonar knows what the end of a project is by the end of any performance data in the project. By selecting individual peices of the project, you are telling Sonar to stop at a certain point. Look at your global settings, there's a checkbox for stop at end... something. Check that box.

Craig DuBuc
Bristol_Jonesey
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/10 17:27:36 (permalink)
deved.com

It goes on the last event written to the project, and that could be one a not small number of things

Many, if not most, have been talked about on this thread already:

• Clip/Midi event
  • Audio event
  • Envelope node (synth or automation)
  • Time signature
  • Tempo
  • "Shape Event"
I'm sure that's not an exhaustive list

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/10 17:40:33 (permalink)
Bristol is right. Sonar look for the last event in the project and stops when it arrives at that point. 

The best way to find an errant event is select all tracks and open the Event List View. Go to the very bottom and look for an event outside the normal time of the project. It should be the very last one. 

The Event List is not just for MIDI it will show all events audio or otherwise. 

Best
John
rog857
  • Total Posts : 74
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/10 18:08:57 (permalink)
Bristol, Thanks so much! It was all about selecting the correct length of tracks to record by, as you say, swiping across the time ruler. Works great now. Thanks again! Mike

Sonar Platinum,, UA-25EX, Daking Mic-Pre One, Yamaha HS 50M near field monitors, Toshiba Satellite A505; Windows 10 Home Premium; 64 bit operating system; processor-Intel i5; 4 GHZ; RAM-4GB; Western Digital external HD; Yamaha DGX-220 keyboard, Martin, Ovation, Gibson, Gretsch guitars.
Teds_Studio
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 761
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/10 18:29:24 (permalink)
This has happened to me a few times too.  What I do now is....click on the right arrow of the scroll bar right under the transport.  This jumps you to the very end of the project so you make sure your project ends where it's supposed to, or it can let you see what is causing the "conflict" if there is something past the end.

I have rendered a mix before of a song with a length of say...3:00 and end up with a 6:30 file.  There is ALWAYS something at the end of the timeline that causes this...at least with my experience.  It might just be a volume node or something simple like that.  But anything on the timeline will definitely cause the project to go past the expected end.

ASRock X99 Extreme4 MB....Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4 GB DDR 5.....Intel i7 5820k 3.3 Ghz....Corsair RM850i power supply....3 Seagate 1TB SATA III drives....32 Gig G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3000.....Win 10 Pro.....Sonar X1 Producer Exp & X2, X3...Platinum....Superior Drummer 2 & 3 w/ N.Y. Vol 2 SDX.....Sony VEGAS Pro 11.0 32 & 64 bit Pro 12.....Sony VX2100.....Sony HVR-Z7U....Sony HDR-CX130....Alesis HD24....Behringer X32 console....Focusrite 18i20....JBL LSR2328P studio monitors with LSR2310P sub.
Bristol_Jonesey
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/11 03:40:23 (permalink)
Another quick way to jump to the end of a project is simply to hit ctrl + end. ctrl + home does the opposite

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re:Sonar will not stop at end of project (and a long and winded story) 2012/12/11 08:37:15 (permalink)
As far as mixdown goes the physical end or beginning of the project is not always what is wanted. The best practice when doing a final render is to explicitly select the region between the start and end point you want as well as all relevant tracks.

To simplify this process I add explicit markers called begin and end to the project. Then when its time to export I do this:
- open the markers view
- CTRL-A to select the entire project
-  Click the begin marker in the markers view
- clrl-click the end marker (this selects only the region that you wish to render)
- export

As far as SONAR not stopping at the end, if you don't make any selection SONAR assumes the project length is up to the last event across all tracks in the project. You most likely have some event, an automation node, a MIDI event or a tempo change that is extending the project beyond the last audio visible event. There are many ways of using bounce since SONAR supports exporting specific selections so with that power comes some complexity. In a future version we'll consider improving the workflow for the more basic operations.

PS: A word of advice. Always listen from start to finish to your final mix before showing it to a client to avoid surprises like this. With any automated process there is always a chance for user error or something unexpected happening - fade's truncated, effects bypassed or something like that.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1