Sorry to have to ask...Why has Sonar (and now X1) seemed to crash so often for so many??

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/30 23:17:51 (permalink)
guitartrek

timidi

it's got more 1's and 0's than S1. (more to go wrong). along the same lines, S1 is very rudimentary.
Basically, there's just less to go wrong in S1. Come on ole pal, you knew that.

I really think Tim is on to something.  Cakewalk has always pushed the limits in terms of features.   And from what I've seen from Studio 1 it is very basic (and very nicely designed).  I think their programmers know what they are doing too.  But the sheer number of features in Sonar will always make it more susceptible to issues.  Cakewalk's programmers are good too, but trying to get all the parts of the application to play nice with each other at all times is tough when there are so many parts.

Hmm, I don't know what people mean by S1 is basic.   It's got a lot of really cool features, some of which are well thought out and implemented, and it can go deep too (just like any good DAW).

I'm not sure I'd call it basic at all.  I would say that it does have 'some' degree of less features than Sonar, but there are some things one 'might' call "bloat" in Sonar too.

S1 just seems leaner, in that regard.  But definitely not 'basic' in my opinion.

Also- S1 didn't have to be backward compatible with anything.  That's an advantage Sonar doesn't have.  So I suspect having to be backward compatible is another area that might cause Sonar more likely to crash, similar as Tim points out.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/30 23:19:31 (permalink)
I have and the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence.

About S1 which version are you using Ol Pal?

I can't say I have had any crashes with 8.xx onward. I am still not having any crashing with it when I check out to see if it still works.

Sonar 6 crashed a lot on my old machine.  When I built this machine I was very careful with what components I put in it.

The old machine had 1 gig of memory but it was not of the same brand which I believe caused the crashing. I didn't realized that until I took it apart to check some issues in it. I built it too. I was far less careful with it then I was with this one. I was using an Emagic AMT 8 with it and thought it was the cause but I didn't have trouble with it under XP on this machine.

Best
John
StarTekh
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2007
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/30 23:20:39 (permalink)
with no dissrespect it aint about fair and if people cant
pull up to the plate and address their system issues All
software will have issues .sooner or later..personaly I cant
wait for X-1b.. you mean this is going to run even better !!
ba_midi
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/30 23:21:13 (permalink)
yorolpal

Well...if Tim IS on to something...then give me X1 PRO "lean and mean" version.  Let me choose what features I need and what I don't.  But I'm still not convinced he IS on to something.  Yet.

In a way, I wish Cakewalk had the resources to have done a "new" version without the need for backward "file" compatibility.  IOW,  "really new version" - or as you say it, a "Pro" version.  

And at the same time provide an X1 backward compatible version.    The "new" version could have been a new name, even, a totally new product for the new decade.

That may have solved some issues if Tim's theory is acceptable.

BUT, that's not reality (ie, having a "NEW new version")- and we are where we are.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/30 23:21:41 (permalink)
(Sorry, this is in reference to Star Tekh)

If by you, you mean me, X1a IS running pretty good for me.  If by pretty good you mean generally stable but with the intermittent but persistent risk of hanging up on any random project close...or hanging while trying to open or close the wrong VST while the transport is running or changing presets on any given VST while the transport is running or having the "teleport server" (which is BitBridge) just stop working causing an early termination of Sonar among other "little annoyances".

And my "system" is a Win7 64bit on a 3GHZ core i7 with 12gigs ram running X1 64bit.  What would you have me do?  Run a 12Terrabyte system of liquid mysterium in an anti-matter vacuum chamber??
post edited by yorolpal - 2011/01/30 23:29:27

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
ba_midi
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/30 23:22:41 (permalink)
StarTekh

should change the topic : Why is X-1a running so well for
so many..but not you >?

I think the topic is a reasonable question.   ANd that's all it is - a question.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

dke
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 724
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 00:02:01 (permalink)
I had no trouble crashing S1, big time as a matter of fact.

Both X1 and 8.5.3 have been pretty stable for me.  I don't usually have any problems with crashing until I get to the stage I'm ready to start mixing and using Melodyne Editor, then crashing becomes fairly regular until I'm done with ME and have frozen the tracks I use it on and I'm inclined to blame Celemony for that.  I've learned to save often & many new versions while using ME.   Hopefully some day it will be as stable as Melodyne Plugin was for me.

Not to say Sonar is rock solid for me it does occasionally crash for no apparent good reason (if there is such a thing) especially X1, but I can work for hours with multiple instances of GR4, Amplitube 3, and/or Pod Farm along with Jamstix 3, adding possibly True Piano on occasion etc, tracking, and later mixing with Ozone 4 and other effects with rarely a crash.

Dan

Sonar Platinum ( x64),  Windows 10 x64, HP Envy i5 2.9GHZ, 8GB, Tascam 4x4 USB, BX5a Monitors.
neiby
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 765
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 00:04:13 (permalink)
guitartrek

timidi

it's got more 1's and 0's than S1. (more to go wrong). along the same lines, S1 is very rudimentary.
Basically, there's just less to go wrong in S1. Come on ole pal, you knew that.

I really think Tim is on to something.  Cakewalk has always pushed the limits in terms of features.   And from what I've seen from Studio 1 it is very basic (and very nicely designed).  I think their programmers know what they are doing too.  But the sheer number of features in Sonar will always make it more susceptible to issues.  Cakewalk's programmers are good too, but trying to get all the parts of the application to play nice with each other at all times is tough when there are so many parts.

This is certainly part of the problem. Then you have to make sure all of that code works well with all of the thousands of possible combinations of hardware and third-party software that people might have. Everything matters, from motherboards, memory, CPUs, OS, sound cards, hard drives, external hardware, USB/firewire issues, etc. Then they have to deal with the GUI and try to get it to work well in a number of different resolutions and screen sizes. The list goes on and on. The number of possible permutations is staggering.

To be honest, that DAWs, in general, work as well as they do is pretty amazing.
IndustryStandard
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 00:17:09 (permalink)
By the number of issues in X1 I find it pretty un-ustable in professional situations. The crashing issue makes me very nervous in regards to starting a full project and I pretty much use everything..V Vocals, Multiple effects, External Midi modules, lots of audio and multiple vst's. Projects that I did in 8.5.3 are simply not tolerated in X1 because I like to squeeze Sonar for everything it's got. In 8.5.3 pure stability...in X1....laughable crashing constantly like it hates me. So: I look at X1 like  wall street stock. Yea ..I bought stock in Cakewalk. I own X1. I can't quite use it yet but that's OK. I don't like unripe fruit in the least. So I will wait til Cakewalk finishes X1 and pray to God that X2 is and upgrade we don't have to pay for as Cakewalks apology for all of us that suffered through this roller coaster ride called " X1".
post edited by IndustryStandard - 2011/01/31 00:19:35
Keebo
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 576
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 01:13:57 (permalink)
I have never owned another DAW other than Cakewalk.  I have never even tried a demo of another DAW.  I do remember getting a lite Ableton freebie from a disc that I bought way back but only spent a few minutes with it before deleting it.

I am happy for the ones that have very little issues with X1.  I was one of them until I started spending more time with it.  I can't answer why so many others have so many crashes.  I can't even answer why I have had so many crashes.  I admit that I haven't read all 1850 pages of the manual but I have gleaned quite a bit of info here on the forums.  The last few days have been somewhat of a let down using X1.  I have had so many crashes doing what appeared to be simple modifications that I can't even remember now what it was that caused them.

Just today, I worked on three different projects in a span of about three hours.   All three fairly simple audio/MIDI/Soft Synth projects with less than 20 tracks and no more than three or four VST instruments.  A little Sonitus reverb and the Pro Channel. 

In that time I must have had 15-20 crashes.  Of course a restart is necessary for each crash due to the fact that ending the Sonar.exe in task manager does not work.  A lot of time was indeed wasted just getting back to the program.

Sure a few crashes were from 3rd party vendors such as Jamstix, Guitar Rig 4, BIG/DIG amp fx, etc. but why would an export to audio hang?  I finally got it to export but it wasn't with a jubilant smile.

I went back to 8.5.3 and worked without a hitch so at least there is an alternative.

I didn't update to the ASIO quick patch because it seemed that my M-Audio interface would not be affected since I use WDM mode and I use it with the POD XT as an interface together at times.  Could that be a possibility?  From what I read on this site it appears not to be necessary or my setup.

I don't plan on looking at other DAWs at this time because I am hopeful that Cakewalk will eventually suss it all out to where I can work with X1 as solidly as I have and can work with 8.5.3.

Sonar X2 Producer 64 bit
Sonar X1 Producer Expanded 64 bit
Sonar 8.5.3 Producer 32/64 bit
Windows 7 64 bit
chrisharbin
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1852
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 01:34:26 (permalink)
That's a drag. I get ticked everytime I hear someone with issues.

I'll admit this, I'm scared to go to far with it. Though I frequently try to reproduce other peoples issues, I'm personally afraid that if I get too deep, I'll be the one with all the issues. But I keep trying to crash it. Throwing thing after thing at it and can't except twice.

1. Was a dim pro "tempo synched" attempt......last time I make that mistake (old chestnut)
2. Was a combination of wild tempo/time signature changes with some crazy automation with some hungry little plugs. It didn't actually "crash" persay, it locked on me when I hit save. Of course the session was saved and worked fine after my routine after locks/etc.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, it's just that I'm with yorolpal, I just don't get it. And again, I try and reproduce stuff people ask all the time.

i7 860/MSI mobo/8GB ram/win7x64ultimate/X2/profire 610/oxygen 61/running 48k currently.
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 02:24:38 (permalink)
I can only speak from my own experience and I've always found it's driver related. Whether that's  'Sonar's' fault or the driver's fault is open to debate I suppose.

Last version I had major trouble with was V7 (I think). BSOD's constant apparently random crashes which I always suspected were to do with my then Alesis drivers. I eventually switched to ASIO4ALL and it all calmed down.

Got better when I upgraded to V8, then even better with Win 7 and the new Alesis drivers. Gone completely now I've changed interfaces.

There's so many variables it's probably impossible to pin down to one thing 'cos it's probably different for everyone and in the same way that some users push the software more, so Sonar pushes the hardware more than some other software.

My 2p...........
JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 03:22:22 (permalink)
Well - there are a few reasons why crashes would occur...

First - there is a question I did ask before, but never got answered. Those people with a lot of crashes - are they using the download version? And those with little or no crashes - do they use the packaged (DVD) version?

If the above is true, there could be some trouble with some people with their ISP. Sometimes downloads get corrupted by bad gear (yes I know there is a CRC, but still). It is entirely possible the downloaded file installs like a dream, but has some tiny bits corrupted. It is even possible the unzipper (I don't know it it are zip files - I have the packaged version) choked itself for various reasons (virusscanner, not enough memory to hold zipped and unzipped image etc.). And talking about virusscanner - those bastards can corrupt an installation to unusable.

Secondly - As I also said before. A lot of people are using software that has hardware- or software based protection. It is known that protection software uses sometimes exotic and not fully (or not at all) documented system calls, with unpredictable result in other software. I have seen perfect running software brought down to it's knee by some stupid implemented protection software.

Third - bad drivers. I have seen drivers that hung complete computers. It does not have to be audio drivers. Hardware drivers or "handy" tweaker software for videocards can bring a system to s screeching halt. And do not forget the biggest culprit of them all - overclocking or "tweaking" hardware to its limits, dramatically increasing chances of crashes.

Forth - bad hardware. Even hardware that have worked without any hiccup can suddenly "give up". Especially hard drives are in a lot of cases suspect. By installing new software the storage is increased, and if a "weak" area oft the platter is used by your shiny new software, you can get crashes seemingly without any reason. Regularly hard drive checks are important ! Memory also can get bad (sometime contact corrosion or just bad luck). Regularly checks are also important. If you opened tha case of the computer for some reason, make sure all connections are still tight and not replaced.

Fifth - "unclean install". What I mean is installing fresh software on a system that was in use for years. Most time this systems are become "dirty" by installing and un-installing "test" software, or traces and left-overs from old -not longer used- software. Those "dirty" systems can have unpredictable results on your shiny new software. To remedy this is is advised to always test brand new software on a "clean" system (without anything else but known good drivers). Slowly and one by one adding your software (like plugins) that you generally need is done after that. IF something happens, you always know it must be the last piece of software (plugin or other DAW) that is breaking things. A lot of people with crashes here benefited from installing on a clean system.

That sums it up a little. There are a lot of rasons why software runs without any problem for one person, and are a nightmare for other persons. This is happening, and it is very sad when it happens. The advise is - stay calm, and see of one of the above points is valuable. Ask here if somebody has the same problem. Do not come here saying that @%$#@# software is @#%& unusable, because a.) it is less likely your problem will be solved, and because b.) it draws negative attention that solves nothing too.

At last - sure ... there is a chance the software has bugs. It is very likely software has bugs, because I know very little software that is absolutely bug free (aviation and medical software is the most bug free I know, but even there can be little bugs). It is always good however, to take the above points in consideration before declaring something a bug. It narrows down the amount of real bugs, and reduces uncertainty. It also opens commitment to find a (temporarily) work-around.

Just my 2 cents...
post edited by JClosed - 2011/01/31 03:23:56
guitarmikeh
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 942
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 03:22:47 (permalink)
well I can honestly say I had many a crash with all versions of sonar.
many a BSOD as well but I assumed it was my audio interface. but who knows.
I think it's a question with no answer. like: "does God exist?"
I've grown tired of... never-mind.
I think I'll quote Queen and leave it at that.."got to leave it all behind and face the truth"

I harbor no ill will towards any man.
chrisharbin
  • Total Posts : 1852
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 03:33:26 (permalink)
@jclosed: (I'll try to keep up) and remember I'm in the not crashing camp right now.

1. I did the download. It runs side by side with my boxed version of 8.5.3
2. Personally, I'm win7x64. My UAC? OFF! I don't care, I've had too many software companies tell me off is best. I don't do porn, warez, or click the "viagra" emails.
3. People **** (not here just in general) about the soundcard I have all the time. Maudio profire 610. Have I ever mentioned I hate the term "rock solid"? Well, in fact they have been.
4. See my specs. Computer is above average (could be an important point BUT other people with better machines than mine have reported issues......so......it's just a mystery)
5. I put this beast into service almost exactly 1 year from today. Tons of demos, crap uninstalled, you name it. I do however run a pretty clean machine. I Cclean about once a week. Then I use the auslogic defrag and registry cleaner. I keep my stuff reasonably organized....it's not perfect though. NO ANTIVIRUS!

i7 860/MSI mobo/8GB ram/win7x64ultimate/X2/profire 610/oxygen 61/running 48k currently.
Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 06:10:26 (permalink)
StarTekh

should change the topic : Why is X-1a running so well for
so many..but not you >?

I read our 'olpal's post and I agree with him that Sonar has earned somewhat of a reputation of notoriety over time.

Myself I have very few crashes with 8.5 but mostly because I've learned how not to upset it, and not because of it's improved stability.

What I'm gathering is that 'olpal like my ownself has reached for one or two other products from the shelves and found, again bearing out my own experience, that these other solutions behave in a much more overall dignified manner right out of the box.

This isn't stirring up chit as you previously suggested it's a calm observation, that bears out in my findings too.

I'm thinking that it's down to the fact that bugs must be somewhat like wild oats.  A couple of what at the time seem like harmless errors of judgement in the wrong places, next thing you know you end up supporting them for the rest of your life.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 07:18:26 (permalink)
SONAR X1 is running great here.... 100%

Yesterday, I launched it for the first time in 2 weeks and I checked my automatic latency compensation settings.

I tried to open prefernces by pressing "P" but that didn't work because I forgot to load a project... so I used my mouse to find "preferences" in the drop down menu and opened it up.

My automatic Latency was set at 108 samples... I think I wrote that down on some scratch paper.

Then I shut down X1 and it closed smooth as silk.

I might do it again next weekend... just to make sure it's running stable and all that stuff.

best regards,
mike

gordonrussell76
  • Total Posts : 1879
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 07:32:50 (permalink)
Because most people go to a forum when they have a problem, and when everythign is working fine they just get on with stuff.

G
trimph1
Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6348
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 07:33:50 (permalink)
mike_mccue

SONAR X1 is running great here.... 100%

Yesterday, I launched it for the first time in 2 weeks and I checked my automatic latency compensation settings.

I tried to open prefernces by pressing "P" but that didn't work because I forgot to load a project... so I used my mouse to find "preferences" in the drop down menu and opened it up.

My automatic Latency was set at 108 samples... I think I wrote that down on some scratch paper.

Then I shut down X1 and it closed smooth as silk.

I might do it again next weekend... just to make sure it's running stable and all that stuff.

best regards,
mike

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
Scott Lee
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 07:35:24 (permalink)
Hi all,

I also have thrown everything at Studio One to crash it, it has not once (X1a is the only software to crash my system in 3 years). I cant go more then 3-5 mins in X1 without a crash to the desktop or runtime error.

I hope Cakewalk can fix Sonar X1 soon before it becomes the ex one for me. If anything I would still like access to the 16 years of music without the frustrations of constantly crashing.

Best,

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 
Song Composer / Engineer / Audio Director

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhee

Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 07:38:52 (permalink)

First - there is a question I did ask before, but never got answered. Those people with a lot of crashes - are they using the download version? And those with little or no crashes - do they use the packaged (DVD) version?

Nope - regular crashing here with the DVD version.

Secondly - As I also said before. A lot of people are using software that has hardware- or software based protection. It is known that protection software uses sometimes exotic and not fully (or not at all) documented system calls, with unpredictable result in other software. I have seen perfect running software brought down to it's knee by some stupid implemented protection software.

Nope - no AV or firewall installed on my machine, never been on the 'net.

post edited by Bristol_Jonesey - 2011/01/31 07:40:48

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 09:08:22 (permalink)
@chrisharbin

That seems very sensible to me. Glad to know.

@mike_mccue

Well - that could be informative, but I do not think it will be at much help to determine what causes the difference in usability.

@Bristol_Jonesey

Well - that seems to rule out download errors at first sight. If you combine this with chrisharbin that is using a download version, that gives at least one parameter we do not have to care about any more. No definitive conclusion, but at leas a strong trend.

And about AV software. That's only one thing I mentioned when I talked about  protection software. Don't forget about anti-piracy measures that are installed with other software like pugins. A I said before - things like hardware- or software "dongles" should not interfere with other software, but in practice I have seen that happening.

Anyway - I think it would be great if we find some common factor why X1 is running great (albeit the known bugs) fore one person, and is a nightmare for somebody else. To say X1 is extremely crash-prone in general is just not true, because it is known a lot of people (and I think it is a majority) have very little problems. I think it is important to see things in perspective.

At least - let's wait for a more final judgement until X1b has arrived. However - do not expect miracles from X1b. Although there will be a lot of improvements, there will always be people that will feel they have been left out (if in reality or not). Until then - let's find out if this "common factor" exist or not. To me it looks like a sensible thing to do.

Oh - and by the way. I have tried the packaged version on a fresh Windows 7 32bit and Windows XP 32 bit system (I have some 32 bit software that wont run without problems on a 64 bit environment), and have not encountered any problem (albeit the named known bugs). Hmmm....now I think about it - is there any difference between 32bit and 64bit installs?
Luteman
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 335
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 09:31:13 (permalink)
yorolpal
. . .  In X1 I get infrequent BSODs referencing my M-Audio Fast Track Ultra Interface (not Sonar...just the FTU).  In S1 I have not had one single BSOD of any kind...let alone referencing the FTU.  And this is just one example of the disparate nature of the hangups and crashes I'm refering to. 
Hi ol' pal. Kind of OT but have you tried the latest (beta) driver for the FTU? I was experiencing various issues - FTU losing connection, disappearing from the driver list in SONAR, FTU control panel hanging the PC, BSOD, etc.

I had more issues with it in SONAR than in other apps (e.g. media player, Amplitube standalone, etc.) - but I'm aware SONAR makes more demands than most other apps so no surprise there.

Anyhow, once I installed the beta driver (available here) all of those issues seem to be a thing of the past - it's rock-solid for me now. The driver isn't listed on the regular M-Audio support site - I found it by accident via the forum.

Just thought I'd throw that in - hope it helps.

post edited by Luteman - 2011/01/31 09:34:24

Chris
SONAR Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core2Quad Q6600, 8GB, 2 x SSD, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, M-Audio Axiom 61, Behringer FCB1010 MIDI pedalboard, Stephen Haddock 8-course lute, some guitars, a mandolin and a bass

yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 09:55:52 (permalink)
As I alluded above, I figure I'll get a crash from S1 sooner or later.  I mean I'm sure I will.  Have to.  It's a given.  And you know why I think that?  No, go on guess.  Because I've never known anything else since I have only used Cake products since they came into existence.  It is my "normal".  Occasional crashes and/or hangs.  My engineers have preferred to use Adobe Audtion for the last ten years...since whenever it first hit the streets.  And I've actually seen it hang up and crash...maybe once in a blue moon.  But it happens.  It actually kind of creeps me out that S1 HASN'T crashed yet.  Maybe I haven't loaded a project up with enough 3rd party VSTs yet (Oh, BTW John, I'm running S1 Pro).  Now that I use Sonar (8.5.3) at my voiceover studio I could just about say that I NEVER crash.  But, in all honesty,  I do.  But very infrequently.  In fact I don't think I've had a CTD ever at the voiceover studio.  But then I'm just recording a few tracks of VO and slapping a music bed or some SFX on them and I'm done.  I use very few VSTs (EQ, Comp, Verb and the occasional mangler for special fx) there so maybe that's the problem.  On my music projects I use all kinds of synths, samplers and plugs.  That's really the only difference.  But the way I can just load, unload, have multiple guis open at the same time and change parameters in any of them over and over again and never have even a stutter in S1, never hang, always close properly...It's got me wondering.  In all honesty, I've never really questioned Cake before.  I just accepted it.  It may sound crazy but I'd like to see S1 crash.  A couple of times.  It would restore my ingrained belief that no DAW is "perfect". 

PS: I went to the beta driver link there luteman, ol pal...but it's closed.  I'll PM ya.

post edited by yorolpal - 2011/01/31 10:05:04

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
trimph1
Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6348
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 10:07:25 (permalink)
I'd like to see someone load S1 up and throw everything at it...200 tracks with numerous instances of Dim Pro and various FX ...even unto racks of them and see what happens....it may have a choke on the rendering but...crash? 

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 10:09:57 (permalink)

@mike_mccue

Well - that could be informative, but I do not think it will be at much help to determine what causes the difference in usability.

It's a Intel Quadcore dedicated DAW running Win XP SP3 32bit, MOTU 896HD ASIO drivers with no internet or LAN

LJB
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1502
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 12:04:20 (permalink)
It might have been mentioned, but perhaps we are running into 3d party issues as well?

If someone put together a survey that all users could complete, with columns for Motherboard, Chipset, Video Card, Audio Hardware, OS, 32/64 bit, as well as 3d party plugins etc etc, one might start seeing a pattern. Anyone care to mock up a clever spreadsheet that we can all contribute to?

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
--------------------
Cakewalk
with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

djtrailmixxx
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 235
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 12:40:48 (permalink)
I would like to know how many people that are experiencing regular system crashes with Sonar are using un-patched Warez pluginz that use hardware lock bypasses and initial release DLLs.

Sonar Platinum X64 - Win 10 x64 - Intel SB-E 3930 - Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 - 16GB DDR3 - AMD R290X - 4x 1TB SSD RAID 0 (Sys and Data partitions) - 2x UAD2 Quad - 1x UAD2 Octo - UAD Apollo Dual
DeveryH
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 780
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 12:47:07 (permalink)
John

I have and the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence.

About S1 which version are you using Ol Pal?

I can't say I have had any crashes with 8.xx onward. I am still not having any crashing with it when I check out to see if it still works.

Sonar 6 crashed a lot on my old machine.  When I built this machine I was very careful with what components I put in it.

The old machine had 1 gig of memory but it was not of the same brand which I believe caused the crashing. I didn't realized that until I took it apart to check some issues in it. I built it too. I was far less careful with it then I was with this one. I was using an Emagic AMT 8 with it and thought it was the cause but I didn't have trouble with it under XP on this machine.

Same here John. Sonar has been stable for me from the get go. The only time I had instability was when I began having problems with my computer. If I remember correctly, you were the one that told me to forget all things and check my memory sticks first. As soon as I did that (they were also different sticks) my system and Sonar were back to normal! I began to have problems a little later on because of my motherboard. But after buying a new system all is smooth sailing. Sonar does everything I need and then some.
djtrailmixxx
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 235
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 12:53:49 (permalink)

Same here John. Sonar has been stable for me from the get go. The only time I had instability was when I began having problems with my computer. If I remember correctly, you were the one that told me to forget all things and check my memory sticks first. As soon as I did that (they were also different sticks) my system and Sonar were back to normal! I began to have problems a little later on because of my motherboard. But after buying a new system all is smooth sailing. Sonar does everything I need and then some.

Checking system memory is of PARAMOUNT importance. MemtestX86 is free, use it.

Sonar Platinum X64 - Win 10 x64 - Intel SB-E 3930 - Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 - 16GB DDR3 - AMD R290X - 4x 1TB SSD RAID 0 (Sys and Data partitions) - 2x UAD2 Quad - 1x UAD2 Octo - UAD Apollo Dual
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1