Sorry to have to ask...Why has Sonar (and now X1) seemed to crash so often for so many??

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
dontletmedrown
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1722
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 12:59:21 (permalink)
djtrailmixxx

I would like to know how many people that are experiencing regular system crashes with Sonar are using un-patched Warez pluginz that use hardware lock bypasses and initial release DLLs.

Proud to say I'm 100% legit.
DeveryH
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 780
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 13:03:02 (permalink)
djtrailmixxx

Same here John. Sonar has been stable for me from the get go. The only time I had instability was when I began having problems with my computer. If I remember correctly, you were the one that told me to forget all things and check my memory sticks first. As soon as I did that (they were also different sticks) my system and Sonar were back to normal! I began to have problems a little later on because of my motherboard. But after buying a new system all is smooth sailing. Sonar does everything I need and then some.

Checking system memory is of PARAMOUNT importance. MemtestX86 is free, use it.

But I also have to interject and say these system "tests" don't always show the whole problems. When I was having problems, sometimes I couldn't even open Sonar because it would crash. I did every test available including the memtest. I passed every one of them with flying colors; yet I still had problems with Sonar (even though it has been stable for over 7 years through the many versions). It wasn't until I started experimenting with my memory sticks that I found the problem. As soon as I removed two of the four sticks (of a different brand than the other two) my system was up and running again. That lasted for about a week lol! Eventually I couldn't even get into Windows. So I did a fresh install on a new HD. That worked for about a week and then more and more problems ensued. Anyways, it was my motherboard. Moral of the story? Those "diagnostic" tools don't always work.

Just saying. ;)
giankap
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 13:10:51 (permalink)

Moral of the story? Those "diagnostic" tools don't always work.

I think that we all hear you here! I probably happened to everyone. Diagnostic tools are not to be trusted. The other day i was running 4 different hd utilities, and all of them had different resaults in everything!
NOT TO BE TRUSTED!!!

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
yorolpal
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 13:47:38 (permalink)
100% legit plugs here as well.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 14:03:10 (permalink)
djtrailmixxx

I would like to know how many people that are experiencing regular system crashes with Sonar are using un-patched Warez pluginz that use hardware lock bypasses and initial release DLLs.

Lets say for example my computer flies the Jolly Roger and I regularly fire static charges at my ram chips via a lightning conductor to toughen them up.

So then why would Sonar crash more frequently than other DAWs seem too?

We are talking like for like on the same systems, so everything else being equal what is the determining factor?

I gotta say though that you seem well clued up on how the ol' Warez work there pal.  An educated guess?
post edited by Jonbouy - 2011/01/31 14:10:12

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 14:08:21 (permalink)
@giankap

I can say I have seen a lot of sudden crashes or even a program that is working one moment suddenly completely vanishing another moment. I all those cases it was faulty memory or a broken motherboard (remember those motherboards with bad electrolytic capacitors? That was a horrible experience). In most cases Windows and regular programs where working perfect - until the system came under severe stress by a demanding program - and the crash, blue screen, freezing horror started.

@djtrailmixxx

I always presume everyone has 100% legit programs. If he/she/it has not, they just get what they deserve!

I never felt any need for warez or other sticky smelly substances. If I need a program there is a big chance I can run something good from the Open Source pool. Almost all my computers are running Linux (free and 100% legit OS), and only the "music" computers are running Windows, just because there is no Linux version of Sonar (and even those computers are dual boot with Linux, BSD, OpenSolaris or another legal OS).
djjhart@aol.com
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2189
Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 14:11:46 (permalink)
I took the plunge too and bought S1 ,I installed it on my Mac instead of my Pc, And I can hit play , loop and drop anything to my hearts content without a single pop or pause, with my onboard sound card or my Tascam, 

I will be buying a new sound card soon for X1 as I only been having a nightmare of time with my Tascam and X1, its Bull crap that I have to, My equipment works fine with 3 other daws that I own<<<<<WHY>>>>>? 

Soundcard I was looking at was the new Mackie blackjack 2 channel 

Here's the Specs 

Two boutique-quality Onyx mic preamps with class-leading fidelity and dynamic range High-headroom design with ultra-low noise and distortion Professional 24-bit recording/playback via 2x2 USB High-end Cirrus Logic AD/DA converters with 114dB dynamic range (A-weighted) True analog hardware monitoring of inputs, in mono or stereo, for easy zero-latency recordingCompatible with most major DAWsLogicSonarCubaseAbleton LiveFinal Cut ProAnd MoreBuilt-in DI on each input for direct connection of guitars, basses, etc. 48V phantom power for use with studio-quality condenser microphones USB bus-powered, eliminating need for separate power cable Separate studio monitor and headphone outs with independent level control Sleek, ergonomic "Built-Like-A-Tank" desktop design Includes Tracktion 3 Music Production Software for Mac or PC

• Computer - Intel Q9550, Intel BX48bt2 MB, W8 64 bit. 8 gb Ram, SSD  
    Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
    Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.
     http://soundcloud.com/johnhartson/tracks  
     http://www.youtube.com/user/jhart1313 

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 15:21:15 (permalink)
    djtrailmixxx

I've been looking for a UAD suite to run on my CUDA but so far it's been a no-go.

:-(

trimph1
    Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6348
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 16:14:25 (permalink)
    If one was to actually try to put some kind of a spreadsheet together it might end up like this...
    Power Supply:
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    Graphics Card, Built in
    Graphics Card: slot type
    Sound Card: Built in
    Sound Card: slot type
    Outboard Sound device:
    Controllers used:
    Programs on board,  including utilities:

DAWs used:
    Most used VST's..

My  surmisal is that it would be a broad mix of systems and that the crashes will recur on all of them...

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
    twisted6s
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2001
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 17:14:13 (permalink)
    I'm getting to the party late and haven't read all the posts but I'll just say this: Sonar on my system (see the specs below) built by Sonica Labs has NEVER Crashed. Not one version since I bought this computer and no version before that I can remember. X1 has it's new version bugs but has not crashed once. yourolpal I've read your posts before and you seem like a reasonable, nice guy so don't take this the wrong way, but if your system is crashing on the Producer versions of Sonar than it may be that your computer is the issue, whether it be drivers, not enough computer for a Producer version, or your computer not being maximized for media production, or viruses. All I'm saying is if Sonar was a crash prone DAW  after all theses years (more than ten years) I would think I would have had some kind of MAJOR problem and I haven't. Oh yes, and believe it or not I've never had a problem with Vista either.

Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 2.5Tb drives, Sonar Platinum, Lynx L22, FMR Audio RNP & RNC, Mackie HR824, Neumann tlm 103, Window 10 64
    https://soundcloud.com/twisted6s/sets/tony-pruden

dappa1
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2949
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 17:27:01 (permalink)
    I've noticed a pattern...like children, Mine doesn't work...yeh mine does, so it must be you...

What is with this childish mentality...?

I could understand the argument, if everyone's system and system specs were the same or level of tolerance for human error could be recordedas being feasible...but that is not the case.

Just because yours works and someone elses doesn't does not mean that the problem is Cakes or the person using the app...It just means there is a problem and variables do determine the so many different outcomes...

If this is how we are teaching our children no wonder why we live in the society we do...
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 18:05:57 (permalink)
    Yorolpal, for years I rarely had a problem with either ProAudio or Sonar running on W95,98, and XP.  Last year I had a computer custom built for me by ADK to specifically run 8.5, Sony Sound Forge and Vegas.  I upgraded my sound card from an Aardvark Q 10 to an RME FF 400 because I'd heard so many good reviews of it.  From the git go, I had frequent crashes in 8.5.3 and occasionally the Sony  software.  When X1 arrived I was hoping that it would be solid and stable, but I had problems with it, as well.  Then, about 2 weeks ago I upgraded the driver for the FF 400, and I haven't had a crash since in any of my software.  And, I threw everything including the kitchen sink at X1, and it has held its own.  Thus, I've been able to complete several new songs and a video.  Who knows?  What twisted6s said makes a lot of sense.  I'm not particularly interested in other DAWs because I like CW, and it suits my style of work.  It can be something so simple that's causing your crashes that it's overlooked, like bad hardware and outdated drivers.

To those that are using another DAW, let us know if X1b changes anything for you.  We're all waiting to find out.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    yorolpal
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 19:21:16 (permalink)
    twisted6s

I'm getting to the party late and haven't read all the posts but I'll just say this: Sonar on my system (see the specs below) built by Sonica Labs has NEVER Crashed. Not one version since I bought this computer and no version before that I can remember. X1 has it's new version bugs but has not crashed once. yourolpal I've read your posts before and you seem like a reasonable, nice guy so don't take this the wrong way, but if your system is crashing on the Producer versions of Sonar than it may be that your computer is the issue, whether it be drivers, not enough computer for a Producer version, or your computer not being maximized for media production, or viruses. All I'm saying is if Sonar was a crash prone DAW  after all theses years (more than ten years) I would think I would have had some kind of MAJOR problem and I haven't. Oh yes, and believe it or not I've never had a problem with Vista either.

No offense taken at all, ol pal:-)

Like I said above my current system is a new Win7 64bit 3ghz corei7 with 12gigs of ram built for me by our own Jim Roseberry.  Before that I had 3years ago's fast and loaded model and before that etc...  Audio production has been my profession for over 25 years and I don't mind spending money on gear.  I most always use the latest drivers for everything in and out of the box.  I honestly don't think my problems have had over much to do with any of my systems.  They are and were always top notch.  I don't have viruses and keep a close watch that I don't get any.  I use 100% legit plugs.  The best and most stable versions I can recall having were Sonar 7 and 8.5.3.  But I've always had "occasional" crashes and on some iterations of Sonar "tons" of them.  Here's another example for you:  On one of my young engineer's say so (who is a true gear hound) and Jim Roseberry's I got a Motu Ultralite for my previous system.  One of the best interfaces out there.  And had nothing but digital noise burst and motorboating almost constantly.  After troubleshooting to no avail I switched it out for a Focusrite Sapphire LE...a supposed step down in class.  Yet it worked flawlessly with that system.  And every one of my MOTU problems went away...Poof!!....the moment I installed it.  I'd still be using it now instead of my new M-Audio Fast Track Ultra (which I quite like!) except it didn't have 64bit drivers and was being removed from the Focusrite lineup.  Now, hundreds (if not thousands) of folks use the MOTU Ultralite everyday on systems not near as good as the one I was running without any problems at all.  Why??  That's what puts a nettle under my saddle.  I'm a curious sort.  But using S1, so far, has been like the day I installed my Sapphire..."Hey...It works!!!...imagine that."

Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    Jind
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 878
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 19:31:56 (permalink)
    Another thing to check when experience system instability and frequent crashes (as I recently found out in my case of increasing crashes over a short period of time) is your power supply.  About three weeks ago I started getting random crashes which eventually lead to several sudden shutdowns and lockups - I went through the process of testing out various components in my system by switching them out with spares I have on hand, testing the parts from my main DAW in a secondary system I have, eventually getting to the power supply which immediately lead to the same behaviour in the second system.  Fortunately I had a spare available and was up and running quickly, but it is an often overlooked component when troubleshooting random bad behavior with a PC system.

Not saying it's anyone's particular issue, but always a place to look for issues.

Jind

Sonar X2 PE, Cakewalk V Studio 100; Intel i7 w/ 16 GB Ram, MS Windows 8.1
    twisted6s
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 20:30:29 (permalink)
    yorolpal

twisted6s

No offense taken at all, ol pal:-)

Like I said above my current system is a new Win7 64bit 3ghz corei7 with 12gigs of ram built for me by our own Jim Roseberry.  Before that I had 3years ago's fast and loaded model and before that etc...  Audio production has been my profession for over 25 years and I don't mind spending money on gear.  I most always use the latest drivers for everything in and out of the box.  I honestly don't think my problems have had over much to do with any of my systems.  They are and were always top notch.  I don't have viruses and keep a close watch that I don't get any.  I use 100% legit plugs.  The best and most stable versions I can recall having were Sonar 7 and 8.5.3.  But I've always had "occasional" crashes and on some iterations of Sonar "tons" of them.  Here's another example for you:  On one of my young engineer's say so (who is a true gear hound) and Jim Roseberry's I got a Motu Ultralite for my previous system.  One of the best interfaces out there.  And had nothing but digital noise burst and motorboating almost constantly.  After troubleshooting to no avail I switched it out for a Focusrite Sapphire LE...a supposed step down in class.  Yet it worked flawlessly with that system.  And every one of my MOTU problems went away...Poof!!....the moment I installed it.  I'd still be using it now instead of my new M-Audio Fast Track Ultra (which I quite like!) except it didn't have 64bit drivers and was being removed from the Focusrite lineup.  Now, hundreds (if not thousands) of folks use the MOTU Ultralite everyday on systems not near as good as the one I was running without any problems at all.  Why??  That's what puts a nettle under my saddle.  I'm a curious sort.  But using S1, so far, has been like the day I installed my Sapphire..."Hey...It works!!!...imagine that."

Has Jim had any input as to why you'd be experiencing so many crashes? I may be wrong but he seems to me to be a Sonar advocate.

Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 2.5Tb drives, Sonar Platinum, Lynx L22, FMR Audio RNP & RNC, Mackie HR824, Neumann tlm 103, Window 10 64

cincyjack
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why has Sonar (and now X1) seemed to crash so often for so many 2011/01/31 20:45:05 (permalink)
    Blah.
    Just crashed again.

Thought I mighta turned the corner...
    kubalibre
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 614
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why has Sonar (and now X1) seemed to crash so often for so many 2011/01/31 20:53:05 (permalink)
    I am not a programmer, but as a very wise Sonar product specialist named "CRUSH" already explained to us several times, Sonar X1 is, of course, programmed in the "THIRD WORLD".

haha.

No, I rather think its the years of piled up code and not enough cleaning, fixing and patching instead of rewriting, not much adapting to new tech (eg VST3 ) or dumping old tech (e.g. Direct X, C++ runtime from.. 2005??) as well as implementing too much foreign 3rd Party license stuff (e.g. FX-MAX bit bridge, VST wrapper instead of native support, Guitar Rig dll and Truepiano dll instead of own "tested" developments) . And the core engine, somehow never was the most stable, not even talking about "gapless". So I think these reasons all combined must be the reason it is easy to crash Sonar, in particular because Sonar has perhaps the largest noob user base, which usually own a low priced app infected "music office game chat and virus scanner watching trojan p*rn sites PC they got in 2002 at clearance price with onboard Soundblaster)

on the other hand I might be wrong, perhaps it IS THE THIRD WORLD PROGRAMMERS FAULT !!
    post edited by kubalibre - 2011/01/31 21:01:40

---------------------------------------------
    all crash on the louspeaker
    A1MixMan
    • Total Posts : 1706
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 20:59:34 (permalink)
    yorolpal

If by pretty good you mean generally stable but with the intermittent but persistent risk of hanging up on any random project close...or hanging while trying to open or close the wrong VST while the transport is running or changing presets on any given VST while the transport is running or having the "teleport server" (which is BitBridge) just stop working causing an early termination of Sonar among other "little annoyances".

And my "system" is a Win7 64bit on a 3GHZ core i7 with 12gigs ram running X1 64bit.  What would you have me do?  Run a 12Terrabyte system of liquid mysterium in an anti-matter vacuum chamber??

Damn, yorolpal, have you been looking over my shoulders while I work with X1? That sounds exactly like my experiences. And guess what, check out my system specs...

Win7 64bit i7 920 with 12 gigs ram running X1 64bit. With Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard and RME Multiface PCIe.

Wow, that's really interesting.

A1
    kubalibre
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 614
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 21:09:20 (permalink)

yorolpal 

or having the "teleport server" (which is BitBridge) just stop working causing an early termination of Sonar  

Perhaps you should send a support request regarding VST plugin problems to

http://www.fx-max.com/

another 3rd Party buyout which handles an integral part of Sonar: VST PLUGINS.

So how is that supposed to work together? I used FX Teleport literally YEARS ago (2005) when I still worked with several sampler slave machines over network + Giga VST adapter before Gigastudio was discontinued. Worked very well back then, but again, old tech here in 2011 which will remain at its state of development probably forever.
    And I need to emphasize, that tool is deeply related to ** Sonar´s VST compatibility core technology** !  

BTW: check out the FX MAX forum, it´s a ghost town. Reliable core technology of Sonar or what?
    post edited by kubalibre - 2011/01/31 21:23:38

---------------------------------------------
    all crash on the louspeaker
    Scott Lee
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 21:17:22 (permalink)
    Also 100% legit. I have to be working for a AAA video game company. (not that I would have any interest in using possibly virus infected software).

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 
    Song Composer / Engineer / Audio Director

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhee

A1MixMan
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 21:17:24 (permalink)
    djtrailmixxx

Is that compatible with 64bit systems? Or is it only for 32bit (x86) systems?

A1
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 21:23:56 (permalink)
    A1MixMan

djtrailmixxx

Is that compatible with 64bit systems? Or is it only for 32bit (x86) systems?

It think it runs outside the OS so it doesn't matter.
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 21:25:53 (permalink)

Has Jim had any input as to why you'd be experiencing so many crashes? I may be wrong but he seems to me to be a Sonar advocate.

I've certainly been in contact with My Ol Pal...  

The lockups when closing Sonar are a known issue with Korg USB MIDI drivers.
    I've experienced the same thing with PadKontrol and an M3... as have others.
    The workaround is to shut down the MIDI device prior to closing Sonar.

The other issue is an occasional BSOD that references the FastTrack Ultra driver.
    When My Ol Pal gets a spare minute, I want him to install that MOTU Ultralite and see if he experiences the same behavior.  Send me an Email Ol Pal... and I'll respond with the proper MOTU driver.
    I'd also like to know if Ol' Pal experiences the BSOD when running the FTU with WDM/KS drivers.

The core PC hardware tests fine...
    That's not the problem in this case.
    post edited by Jim Roseberry - 2011/01/31 21:30:08

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    A1MixMan
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 21:25:59 (permalink)
    I don't get how to use it. Do I burn it to cd and boot from there?

A1
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 21:32:42 (permalink)

Yes, Memtest is distributed as an ISO image file.
    Burn to CD-R (as an ISO file)... and it'll create a bootable Memtest CD.
    Boot the machine from the Memtest CD... and let the machine go thru all tests numerous times.
    It'll loop thru until you stop the process.

Note that Memtest doesn't necessarily find/reveal all problems.
    Run a pair of tests to verify the integrity of the core hardware.
    post edited by Jim Roseberry - 2011/01/31 21:37:10

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    yorolpal
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/01/31 21:49:20 (permalink)
    Yea Jim...the old UltraLite is long gone on the trash heap of Ebay;-)  But I still have the Saffire LE...although it has no 64 bit drivers.  So, I'm at a quandry.  UNLESS, my ol pal luteman in Blighty sends me those new Beta drivers for the FTU...which I'm sure he will...and we'll see how that goes.  I'll keep ya posted, ol pal.
    post edited by yorolpal - 2011/01/31 21:50:49

ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/02/01 00:19:54 (permalink)
    The lockups when closing Sonar are a known issue with Korg USB MIDI drivers.

Jim, I have a Korg Nanokontrol - and it hasn't had that problem for me using the latest Korg MIDI drivers.

It is just for the padKontrol this is known?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    shawnbulen
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 157
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/02/01 00:32:59 (permalink)
    Reading many of these threads lately, I must say that Jim Roseberry is the most helpful, patient, professional, knowledgeable dude I've (virtually) met.  Excellent, concise diagnostician.   Thanks Jim. 

====

As to the OP question, I think it's very valid.   Cakewalk/Cakewalk Pro Audio/SONAR/X1 have always crashed.   Historically, you could blame a lot of this on the PC architecture.  I'm sure some of that's still true.   I'm sure it's bits and pieces of:
      -  New code
      -  Heavy mixing of 32-bit and 64-bit drivers, plugins, OSs
      -  I highly suspect their installer has issues...
      -  Desperately trying to support too many configurations of HW & legacy product for their partners...
      -  ...while at the same time not testing sufficient combos before release
      -  I suspect the posts about PDC are true - or something similar - they cut themselves no slack & aim for sample-perfect rendition under all circumstances.  Impossible.  You ask something to do the impossible, it pukes
      -  Far too much configurability, allowing us all to shoot ourselves in the feet too often
      -  They are also susceptible to poor code across dozens of vendors as well 
      -  Poor error trapping

But probably the worst issue is the lack of decent diagnostic capability.  We all know it happens, and it's not always SONAR's fault.  I believe the bakers should create better diagnostic tools - that anyone could read.  Simple things, like:
      -  Display the plugin stack before crashing - let us know what the OS/CW thinks is active.  
      -  A diag tool that lists all system specs, all audio parameters, & all installed plugins.  (Whether 'removed' or not...  We all know it's hard to really really remove something from your system.)  Such a diag tool can provide a text file we could send to CW.   (& Take away the 'I didn't report that because I removed it'...)  Or we could post them here when we're in dire need & help each other out.  Kinda like that tool Hijack This...
      -  A diag tool that validates CW installs
      -  A diag tool that validates plugin compatibility
      -  A config tool that tests your system, prompts you for info about your projects, & recommends audio settings (enhanced Wave Profiler); =OR= Maybe better, a tuning/config wizard. 

If we're going to keep the product highly configurable, highly featured, & high performance, then SONAR needs better diagnostic tools. 

Shawn

Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
     - Fripp
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/02/01 00:34:07 (permalink)
    A1MixMan

I'm not a big fan of memtest86. Here's why ... I had major RAM problems way back when I first built my DAW. I checked it with memtest86, let it run all night, and it found nothing wrong. After struggling with it for months I ran Windows Memory Diagnostics and it found out that I had bad ram in less than 5 minutes.

RAM is a finicky thing, use more than one program to check it.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    twisted6s
    Re:Sorry to have to ask...Why does Sonar/X1 seem to crash so often for so many?? 2011/02/01 03:20:41 (permalink)
    shawnbulen

Reading many of these threads lately, I must say that Jim Roseberry is the most helpful, patient, professional, knowledgeable dude I've (virtually) met.  Excellent, concise diagnostician.   Thanks Jim. 

====

+1

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1