Helpful ReplyStudio One Pro

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: Studio One Pro 2017/11/24 06:56:53 (permalink)
Demo-ing....  easy to get going right away... but the little details all have to be relearned.  Miss the knobs vs presonus sliders for FX and their routing is a tad different.  Hopefully can get rid of the horid dark GUI and lighten it up like Sonar's Mercury.  It's like a horrible Tungston without all the orange.
"most" of the stuff...vst, instruments... seem to transfer.  All my "AIR" stuff didn't...but I'm hoping a rescan.   Lots of cake stuff transferred.
Oh my... little stuff  .... like just easy stuff like looping.  Track icons?....  I like dragging fadar size...that's nice.
I can see a reason to take a week for solid recording to get up to speed again, without looking the fool in front of other talent over to record.
It's not a show stopper...but I'd sure like to just continue and use Splat.  Crap...if I gotta learn a new program, might as well do it on a shiny new computer.  I figure I need to learn about 100 small, nitpick things I like.... then I'll be OK.  But I threw some Toontrack, recorded live with it....no issues.  NO CRASH for hour use!  I'm sure there will be new stuff I like better, but it's like teaching a dawg new tricks.  At 65 I don't need to spend 40 hrs learning how to record again with precision.   Crap... just using the metronome took 5 minutes to half way figure it out...   I mean it was easy...but all new.

Oh....and I could set up the two monitors, not reading any instructions...  with console and track views independently.  I guess this is the easy stuff, eh?

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

Marshall
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 602
Re: Studio One Pro 2017/11/24 10:35:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2017/11/24 11:16:13
So, I have decided to jump now and buy Presonus Studio One. I was completely shocked by Cakewalk’s announcement and really didn’t see it coming – my intention until that point was to stick with Sonar Platinum forever – it did everything I needed and a lot more, it was stable, and above all of course, I know it pretty well and therefore it rarely, if ever gets in the way of the creative process.

But Cakewalk’s demise has changed everything in my eyes. By way of background, I have only ever used two DAWs – Tracktion from about 2004 for three years, then Sonar for the past 10 years.

For a number of years, Tracktion was left in the wilderness and effectively abandoned before eventually being rescued (after I had switched to Sonar).

I learnt with Tracktion that using a DAW that has no development or support is pointless. I remember VSTs no longer working in it. New plugins that came out wouldn’t work in it. No technical support. I moved to Sonar and never looked back.

There is a lot of logic in what some folks are saying on the forums about “no need to panic”, Sonar will continue to work for 1 , 2 years or more, who knows how long? Take your time, no need to jump right now.

But for me, and I am only a keen hobbyist, the sooner I accept that the world has changed and embrace a new system, the better. I’ve jumped now because:

• I’ve seen enough training videos of Studio One to know it will do everything I need it to do (I am mainly audio, but certainly enjoy dabbling in Midi)
  • A lot of the workflow looks not a million miles away from Sonar.
  • Some of the SO videos have made me go “wow”, I could use that! It may be that Sonar could do the same, but using a new DAW may actually spark some extra creativity (when I’m not scrabbling up the learning curve). Whilst I am sure there will be frustrations initially, in some ways it may be a breath of fresh air.
  • The quality of the training material seems top notch. In particular, I think the Eli Krantzberg Groove 3 course “My first song in Studio One” will get me up and running in no time.
  • I picked it up for $169 through Audio Deluxe – yes, I know it might be cheaper next week for Sonar refugees, but I wasn’t 100% sure we would know the crossgrade price before the BF deals finished. In any event $169 for a top notch DAW is incredibly good value.
  • I’ll admit I have not researched the bundled effects and instruments but I have a battery of externals – mainly Waves – so this was not a big consideration for me.
  • Even if Sonar continues to work, or is recused, I still think it is a good idea to be fluent in two or more DAWs! 
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Studio One Pro 2017/11/24 12:28:59 (permalink)
    emeraldsoul
    I am demo-ing studio one. 2 probs so far . .

1. When I add an effects plugin to a track, the plugin window pops up, stays huge, and I can't resize the plugin window, nor can I move the plugin window at all. It just floats frozen and huge over the main song mixer page of s1. I've  tried dmg equilibrium and adaptiverb, same deal.  

2. Loading the Sylenth instrument caused a freeze crash. Multiple times.

I soldier on . . . If you have s1 demo business, please share!

-Tom

Don't have Sylenth, but I haven't seen your first issue. I can move plugin widows all over the place. Very strange...

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Studio One Pro 2017/11/24 13:19:54 (permalink)
    same as dan, no plugin window issues, but also no sylenth (altho i do have dms equality and equick)
    just to add, in about 5 years of on/off usage, s1 has literally never crashed on me

just a sec

Joe_A
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 458
    Re: Studio One Pro 2017/11/24 13:27:42 (permalink)
    Hey, any Presonus tech's perusing this forum yet?

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
    Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
    Joe_A
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 458
    Re: Studio One Pro 2017/11/24 13:31:31 (permalink)
    Marshall
    So, I have decided to jump now and buy Presonus Studio One. I was completely shocked by Cakewalk’s announcement and really didn’t see it coming – my intention until that point was to stick with Sonar Platinum forever – it did everything I needed and a lot more, it was stable, and above all of course, I know it pretty well and therefore it rarely, if ever gets in the way of the creative process.

But Cakewalk’s demise has changed everything in my eyes. By way of background, I have only ever used two DAWs – Tracktion from about 2004 for three years, then Sonar for the past 10 years.

For a number of years, Tracktion was left in the wilderness and effectively abandoned before eventually being rescued (after I had switched to Sonar).

I learnt with Tracktion that using a DAW that has no development or support is pointless. I remember VSTs no longer working in it. New plugins that came out wouldn’t work in it. No technical support. I moved to Sonar and never looked back.

There is a lot of logic in what some folks are saying on the forums about “no need to panic”, Sonar will continue to work for 1 , 2 years or more, who knows how long? Take your time, no need to jump right now.

But for me, and I am only a keen hobbyist, the sooner I accept that the world has changed and embrace a new system, the better. I’ve jumped now because:

• I’ve seen enough training videos of Studio One to know it will do everything I need it to do (I am mainly audio, but certainly enjoy dabbling in Midi)
  • Some of the SO videos have made me go “wow”, I could use that! It may be that Sonar could do the same, but using a new DAW may actually spark some extra creativity (when I’m not scrabbling up the learning curve). Whilst I am sure there will be frustrations initially, in some ways it may be a breath of fresh air.
  • The quality of the training material seems top notch. In particular, I think the Eli Krantzberg Groove 3 course “My first song in Studio One” will get me up and running in no time.
  • I picked it up for $169 through Audio Deluxe – yes, I know it might be cheaper next week for Sonar refugees, but I wasn’t 100% sure we would know the crossgrade price before the BF deals finished. In any event $169 for a top notch DAW is incredibly good value.
  • I’ll admit I have not researched the bundled effects and instruments but I have a battery of externals – mainly Waves – so this was not a big consideration for me.
  • Even if Sonar continues to work, or is recused, I still think it is a good idea to be fluent in two or more DAWs! 

• 😊 he said "Sonar refugee" in post. Well said.
    But we're to keep moving forward in the direction best for each of us.

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
    Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
    hbarton
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re: Studio One Pro 2017/11/24 15:31:02 (permalink)
    mixmkr
    Demo-ing....  easy to get going right away... but the little details all have to be relearned.  Miss the knobs vs presonus sliders for FX and their routing is a tad different.  Hopefully can get rid of the horid dark GUI and lighten it up like Sonar's Mercury.  It's like a horrible Tungston without all the orange.
    "most" of the stuff...vst, instruments... seem to transfer.  All my "AIR" stuff didn't...but I'm hoping a rescan.   Lots of cake stuff transferred.
    Oh my... little stuff  .... like just easy stuff like looping.  Track icons?....  I like dragging fadar size...that's nice.
    I can see a reason to take a week for solid recording to get up to speed again, without looking the fool in front of other talent over to record.
    It's not a show stopper...but I'd sure like to just continue and use Splat.  Crap...if I gotta learn a new program, might as well do it on a shiny new computer.  I figure I need to learn about 100 small, nitpick things I like.... then I'll be OK.  But I threw some Toontrack, recorded live with it....no issues.  NO CRASH for hour use!  I'm sure there will be new stuff I like better, but it's like teaching a dawg new tricks.  At 65 I don't need to spend 40 hrs learning how to record again with precision.   Crap... just using the metronome took 5 minutes to half way figure it out...   I mean it was easy...but all new.

Oh....and I could set up the two monitors, not reading any instructions...  with console and track views independently.  I guess this is the easy stuff, eh?

Hey, any Presonus tech's perusing this forum yet?

Not a tech but it is my main DAW and I am trying to chime in here when I have input.

The Presonus Forum is a good place to try if you have questions too (https://forums.presonus.com/). It is a bit hard to find off the main screen, so you might want to bookmark this link.

The Studio One interface does not have "skins" but you can modify the colors of the tracks.
    To me, SO has been rock solid but not fancy (I don't care to spend time playing with the look).

Take care,

h

mixmkr
    Re: Studio One Pro 2017/11/24 23:16:50 (permalink)
    thanks... I see the changing colors ...that's been good.  All the dark though is tough to see in my setup and with my eyes.  It's wears on the eyes.  I had a nice personal theme I really liked in SPlat that I spent quite a bit of time on...nice contrast and easy to see.

StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Studio One Pro 2017/11/24 23:34:57 (permalink)
    mixmkr
    thanks... I see the changing colors ...that's been good.  All the dark though is tough to see in my setup and with my eyes.  It's wears on the eyes.  I had a nice personal theme I really liked in SPlat that I spent quite a bit of time on...nice contrast and easy to see.

Have you taken a look at the "Appearance" tab in Options? You can lighten the whole interface and add contrast there.

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    mixmkr
    Re: Studio One Pro 2017/11/25 00:11:39 (permalink)
    oh my ...what a lifesaver!!  thanks Dan.   I need to stop asking questions...or whatever and just dig in.

mikedocy
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1157
    Re: Studio One Pro 2017/11/25 01:05:25 (permalink)
    Marshall
    • Even if Sonar continues to work, or is recused, I still think it is a good idea to be fluent in two or more DAWs
    If Sonar is rescued and you revert back you could always use Studio One Pro as your mastering environment.
     I purchased S1P a year ago to use just for mastering, to replace CD Architect, and to have a "spare" daw, just in-case.
    Now I am starting my new projects in Studio One and will not use Sonar for any new projects until it has a new future.

wmountney
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 106
    Re: Studio One Pro 2017/11/25 01:15:28 (permalink)
    Marshall

My situation and line of thinking was virtually identical to yours, and I also purchased a copy of Studio One Pro.  I my case, I remembered at the last minute that I had a copy of Studio One 3 Artist that came with a PreSonus AudioBox iTwo sound module I purchased a few years ago for use with guitar amp modelling software on an iPad.  I had never even bothered creating an account and registering it, but once I did I was able to get an upgrade to Studio One 3 Pro for $149 with the Black Friday sale.  I couldn't see any way their SONAR crossgrade deal is going to be better than that.  Their normal crossgrade prices are $299, and their normal upgrade price from Artist was the same without the current deal.  Even if they knock another $100 off, it will only match the current deal for purchasing a full copy.

So, anyone who purchased a PreSonus sound module any time in the past few years, check if you may have an unused copy of SP 3 Artist included that will get you an SP 3 Pro upgrade for $149 with the Black Friday deal.

Bill Mountney
    Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1