Helpful ReplyStuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card...

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/03 20:22:04 (permalink)
dimelives1
Thanks for the responses, guys.

Yeah, I was sure to only install the driver itself and leave out the 3D, PhysX, and GeForce Experience add-ons.

I just ran back through this thread and caught this. You actually do want the PhysX drivers. Try running the installer in custom mode again and "perform clean installation" at the bottom. Only the Display drivers, and PhysX drivers should be checked though.

Also watch during that installation. I forget if Nvidia slips in other things (I believe it re-enables the HDMI audio outputs in Device Manager as well, which should be disabled); but fortunately, they are all discrete entries in the Windows uninstall dialogs for "Software and Programs" Do a quick check of programs by installation date in Windows after the install just to check those.

IIRC, every driver update requires the HDMI audio outs disabled in the Device Manager.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
KyRo
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/04 15:39:42 (permalink)
mettelus
I just ran back through this thread and caught this. You actually do want the PhysX drivers. Try running the installer in custom mode again and "perform clean installation" at the bottom. Only the Display drivers, and PhysX drivers should be checked though.

Thanks for the suggestion, mettelus. I gave it a try, after doing a total wipe of NVIDIA from my system as recommended in an email from NVIDIA support, but it made no difference. The behavior has remained.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/05 02:23:37 (permalink)
It sounds a lot like a driver issue, but hard to tell. Have you checked the Device Manager and disabled the HDMI audio?

Have you tried running Resplendence LatencyMon (it is in the free downloads on the left on that page)? For most machines, audio buffers in the 256 sample range will usually play fine for most things, but not the best for tracking. As far as drivers specific to the Nvidia card, I can only think of the HDMI audio if you didn't load the bloatware.

LatencyMon will give a little better insight on what is running on the machine.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
BRainbow
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 399
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/05 02:27:11 (permalink)
Try disabling Aero Peek.  You said disabling the NVidia driver has that effect and maybe that's the problem.

Cakewalk (forever), Two WIN10 64-bit DAWs: home-brew ASRock x299 Taichi / i7 7820x w/ 64GB RAM and ASUS X99A-II / i7-5820K w/ 32GB RAM, ZOOM UAC 8, Mackie ONYX 1640i FW Mixer/Interface, Mackie ONYX 1200F, Avalon U5 PreAmp, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Composer CloudX, Yamaha MOTIF XS8, Ensoniq SD-1 and ESQ-1, Korg M1rEX, Yamaha TX-81Z, Roland D110, Line6 HELIX Rack and Native, POD HD-Pro, POD Farm 2.5, Yamaha NS-10 and Presonus Eris E8 monitors, Yamaha Disklavier Upright Piano, mics, guitars, basses, and the cutest little tambourine.
rontarrant
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 643
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/05 07:42:07 (permalink)
I just read through this entire thread again and one thing I couldn't find, mettelus, was what you're using for audio hardware. It was the post about shared IRQs that got me thinking about this.

Assuming you're using outboard audio hardware connected via USB... have you tried plugging your audio hardware into a different USB port? Sometimes it matters, too, if you've got a USB 2.0 device plugged into either a USB 1.0 (or 1.1) or USB 3.0 port. They're all supposed to be backwards/forwards compatible, but it's really kind of a crap shoot. You'll have to consult your MB manual to find out which USB ports are 2.0, 1.0 and 3.0 although they are color-coded so you could just try it in a port that's a different color than the one you have it in now.

And if it's a PCI or PCIe card, do you have another slot you can move it to?

Be warned, however, that switching slots or ports could necessitate reinstalling drivers depending on which version of Windows you're using.

If it's an IRQ issue, shaking things up like this can make a difference (even though that whole FF thing still makes no sense in this context and seems more like the memory allocation issue that was being bandied about earlier).
post edited by rontarrant - 2016/10/05 08:10:57

-Ron T.
----------------------------------------------------------
MSI GE72 2QF-247US, 12 gb, Focusrite 6i6, AT-2020
Windows 10 x64, Sonar Platinum
KyRo
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/06 05:06:36 (permalink)
Hi, guys. Still experiencing the issue, but I've stumbled across another thing that I can use to make it go away besides having a Firefox window open: having an image open in Windows Picture Viewer... So... make of that what you will...

mettelus
It sounds a lot like a driver issue, but hard to tell. Have you checked the Device Manager and disabled the HDMI audio?

Yes, I've disabled anything and everything related to high definition audio in the DM.

mettelus
Have you tried running Resplendence LatencyMon (it is in the free downloads on the left on that page)? For most machines, audio buffers in the 256 sample range will usually play fine for most things, but not the best for tracking. As far as drivers specific to the Nvidia card, I can only think of the HDMI audio if you didn't load the bloatware.

LatencyMon will give a little better insight on what is running on the machine.

I'll have to give that a try. I'll report back with any relevant results from that after I can get the time to run it.

BRainbow
Try disabling Aero Peek.  You said disabling the NVidia driver has that effect and maybe that's the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions, BRainbow, but I've already tried disabling all Aero effects. It didn't make any change in the behavior.

rontarrant
I just read through this entire thread again and one thing I couldn't find, mettelus, was what you're using for audio hardware. It was the post about shared IRQs that got me thinking about this.

Assuming you're using outboard audio hardware connected via USB... have you tried plugging your audio hardware into a different USB port? Sometimes it matters, too, if you've got a USB 2.0 device plugged into either a USB 1.0 (or 1.1) or USB 3.0 port. They're all supposed to be backwards/forwards compatible, but it's really kind of a crap shoot. You'll have to consult your MB manual to find out which USB ports are 2.0, 1.0 and 3.0 although they are color-coded so you could just try it in a port that's a different color than the one you have it in now.

Hi, Ron. I think your questions were intended for me (I'm the OP).

I never experienced any issues like this with my audio hardware setup in the years that it's been configured exactly the same way. The problem only cropped up after installing the new graphics card.

rontarrant
And if it's a PCI or PCIe card, do you have another slot you can move it to?

Unfortunately, I've only got the one slot for it. My mobo is pretty basic.
post edited by dimelives1 - 2016/10/06 05:28:16
Keith Albright [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1117
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/07 21:56:47 (permalink)
dimelives1
I'm stumped. What can be gleaned from this? The only thing I can think of is maybe it's some kind of memory issue, like the video card for some reason needs more to do in able to run smoothly in Sonar?... But how would that make any sense?
Opening a browser window is even easier than disabling the driver as a workaround, but I'd love to know WHY it's having the effect that it is.
Any theories?... 

Could well be the driver service routines behave differently. You'd probably see something interesting running Resplendence LatencyMon when the glitching is happening.

Keith

Keith
rontarrant
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 643
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/08 08:14:48 (permalink)
dimelives1I never experienced any issues like this with my audio hardware setup in the years that it's been configured exactly the same way. The problem only cropped up after installing the new graphics card.

Yup, and with Windows being the unpredictable beast it is, you may have to compensate in what seem like strange ways to get everything working together again.

dimelives1Unfortunately, I've only got the one slot for it. My mobo is pretty basic.

Okay, can you borrow a USB audio device from someone and try that? You'd have to remove your PCI audio card to make it a fair test.

Just curious: what MB do you have (make/model)?

-Ron T.
MSI GE72 2QF-247US, 12 gb, Focusrite 6i6, AT-2020
Windows 10 x64, Sonar Platinum
KyRo
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/11 00:34:25 (permalink)
OK, I finally go the chance to run Resplendence LatencyMon to see if it yielded any helpful results. I tested it with nothing running but Sonar (and LatencyMon, of course), where the stuttering playback occurs, as a control test. Then I ran the same stretch of audio with a blank Firefox window open, where the stuttering does not occur. Here are the most notable discrepancies between the two sets of data; I'll leave it to those more savvy than I with these kinds of stats to say what may or may not be relevant:

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs)
Control:  2151.312516
w/Firefox:  845.879520

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs)
Control:  1664.384298
w/Firefox:  600.875581

REPORTED ISRs

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs)
Control:  1897.498997
w/Firefox:  949.337567

Driver with highest ISR routine execution time
Control:  dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation
w/Firefox:  dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs)
Control:  51
w/Firefox:  0

REPORTED DPCs

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs)
Control:  1868.751337
w/Firefox:  876.690842

Driver with highest DPC routine execution time
Control:  nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 372.54 , NVIDIA Corporation
w/Firefox:  USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs)
Control:  22
w/Firefox:  33

DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs)
Control:  5
w/Firefox:  0

PER CPU DATA

CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs)
Control:  1879.471925
w/Firefox:  921.260695

CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs)
Control:  1755.911430
w/Firefox:  653.038436

CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs)
Control:  1313.464572
w/Firefox:  284.248997

CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs)
Control:  1835.136698
w/Firefox:  897.509358

CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs)
Control:  1868.751337
w/Firefox:  345.708890

CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs)
Control:  1897.498997
w/Firefox:  949.337567

CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs)
Control:  1806.969586
w/Firefox:  269.467580

CONCLUSION

Control:  Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates. LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:01:12  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

w/Firefox:  Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts. LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:01:13  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

(I also ran a test with Windows Picture Viewer open, which stops the stuttering from happening too. The results were virtually identical to those of having Firefox open.)

--------------------------------------------------

So, is there anything that can be determined from any of that? Keith would appear to me to have been on the right track with the driver routines. But are we able to figure out a "why" or "what can be done about it"?

rontarrant
Okay, can you borrow a USB audio device from someone and try that? You'd have to remove your PCI audio card to make it a fair test.

I apologize, Ron, I mistook you before; I thought you were referring to the video card.

My audio interface is a USB type, the Roland Cakewalk UA-1G (which some may scoff at, but it has served me well for my needs, up to installing the new video card).

rontarrant
Just curious: what MB do you have (make/model)?

It's a 0K83V0 board, from a Dell Inspiron 560s. (Hey, I'm on a tight budget over here)

post edited by dimelives1 - 2016/10/11 15:20:21
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/11 07:05:17 (permalink)
the nvidia control panel has settings-per-app, it's worth checking those for sonar if you haven't already

just a sec

KyRo
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/12 16:44:36 (permalink)
pwalpwal
the nvidia control panel has settings-per-app, it's worth checking those for sonar if you haven't already

I've looked around in those settings a little bit, but I wouldn't know which ones to adjust (if any) to try to help fix the behavior I'm experiencing.
promidi
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1220
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/12 20:38:46 (permalink)
I am using an older Nvidia card GTX560Ti with the latest Nvidia drivers (currently version 373.06) and with the default settings and I do not experience any stuttering audio and dropouts in Sonar Platinum - with FF open or closed.

When ever I install the Nvidia drivers, I do a custom install and I only select the driver and the PhysX System Software.  I deselect the others. Sometimes I tick the box that says "Perform a clean installation"

Might be worth a try.

If this is not a faulty graphics card, then there has to be something else going on with your system other than the Sonar software itself.

I wish I could be more help.

Note: I know I have mentioned this and I may be labouring the point, but I am not 100% convinced you do not have a faulty graphics card.

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
CPU: i5 4670. 
Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
: Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
Bluegrasser
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/12 20:56:55 (permalink)
The solution is to uninstall the video driver in device manager, restart and let Windows find the correct video driver.

After you do this you will say wow. The Nvidia add ons don't cause any problems.
KyRo
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/14 04:20:13 (permalink)
promidi
When ever I install the Nvidia drivers, I do a custom install and I only select the driver and the PhysX System Software.  I deselect the others. Sometimes I tick the box that says "Perform a clean installation"

Might be worth a try.

Unfortunately, I've already done that several times, with no success.

promidi
Note: I know I have mentioned this and I may be labouring the point, but I am not 100% convinced you do not have a faulty graphics card.

Nor am I, which is why I've begun reaching out to NVIDIA/EVGA to see if they might be able to help me out with a replacement or something. We'll see.

Bluegrasser
The solution is to uninstall the video driver in device manager, restart and let Windows find the correct video driver.

If I do that, I lose Aero and some other graphical features. I'd rather just open up a Firefox window or Picture Viewer when working in Cakewalk.
lfm
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2216
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/14 06:31:57 (permalink)
Things that pops into mind:
a) did you check for bios and chipset updates from computer manufacturer?
Various things may be used by grapics drivers now. Buying a computer I always had a couple of those updates the following years at least.
b) for test only - go to windows performance settings and select optimize for performance, you may looose aero then, but just for troubleshooting if related. Certain grapics acceleration stuff create problems, like background shadow on popupmenus etc, I had that very thing opening a menu and got pops in audio and just turned that off. If related you might get a way with disabling just a simple feature like that and keep the rest of aero.
c) bios settings about share graphics ram or similar - don't remember wording. Something todo with mapping graphics into normal ram space or something. Just change as a test. New card with more memory may inflict on this.
d) does firefox or other software install dll's in own folder rather than in common files folder. If doing that windows may reuse a dll already open when ff runs, making things go smooth. Process Exlorer can tell you about what dll's are open in every process and what it is dependent on. Long shot, and not easy to track down, but might be related how background processes running remove a problem.
e) the sonar setting for using audio exclusive or not and what drivers are installed for windows audio to use mediaplayers and stuff. To troubleshoot I would try altering some of that, may change sonar setting, maybe disable temporarily windows audio things like certain outputs etc. Just part of narrowing down the problem.

Hope you get some new ideas what to try....
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/14 07:21:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dimelives1 2016/10/20 16:28:58
im not sure I know of any modern day MOBO that does NOT support open GL.
I mean its your choice of course. but you should not have any problems running open GL with onboard graphics.

on a side note, I would open my Anti virus control panel and add Sonar.exe to my exclusion list.
it is possible your AV is trying to run a scan on it every time you open it (also add your Graphics driver to that exclusion list as well) by opening Firefox, its possible your AV is using its resources there instead.

you also might want to get a look at Task manager while running sonar, look for spikes while the glitch is happening.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

KyRo
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/20 16:24:14 (permalink)
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Some interesting developments...

chuckebaby
on a side note, I would open my Anti virus control panel and add Sonar.exe to my exclusion list.
it is possible your AV is trying to run a scan on it every time you open it (also add your Graphics driver to that exclusion list as well) by opening Firefox, its possible your AV is using its resources there instead.

While I've already made it a habit to put my AV (Norton Secutity) in silent mode whenever I work, I decided to give this a shot. I added the main Cakewalk and NVIDIA program folders to the exclusion list, opened up a project, and lo and behold, the stuttering did not occur!... until a system restart, that is. So, I went back into the exclusion list and removed the folders, as that seemed to not be a lasting solution. BUT, it appears that we are getting warmer, because afterward, even with the folders removed from the exclusion list, my project ran smoothly once again (again, until the next restart). Further experimentation seems to show that simply opening Norton, and then the settings window within, causes the unstable behavior to not occur (even after closing Norton), until restarting the computer.

If this, coupled with the Firefox/Windows Picture Viewer workarounds, gives another hint to anyone about what may be going on, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

chuckebaby
im not sure I know of any modern day MOBO that does NOT support open GL.
I mean its your choice of course. but you should not have any problems running open GL with onboard graphics.

That's what you might think, but alas, thus was the case. I even confirmed that my onboard GPU did not have support for OpenGL (only DirectX) before getting the new graphics card.

I've slowly cobbled together a bit of a Frankenstein's monster with my PC with various upgrades over the years, but its foundation is still that of a 6+ yr old, entry-level Dell. So, what's commonplace among most modern-day equipment is not necessarily so for my... unique setup xP

chuckebaby
you also might want to get a look at Task manager while running sonar, look for spikes while the glitch is happening.

Nothing has jumped out at me there.

lfm
Things that pops into mind:
a) did you check for bios and chipset updates from computer manufacturer?
Various things may be used by grapics drivers now. Buying a computer I always had a couple of those updates the following years at least.

BIOS and all comonents are up-to-date.

lfm
b) for test only - go to windows performance settings and select optimize for performance, you may looose aero then, but just for troubleshooting if related. Certain grapics acceleration stuff create problems, like background shadow on popupmenus etc, I had that very thing opening a menu and got pops in audio and just turned that off. If related you might get a way with disabling just a simple feature like that and keep the rest of aero.

I believe I tried that before, but I just tried it again to be sure, and it causes no change in the behavior.

lfm
c) bios settings about share graphics ram or similar - don't remember wording. Something todo with mapping graphics into normal ram space or something. Just change as a test. New card with more memory may inflict on this.

I don't think I have those settings in my BIOS. It's pretty basic and outdated, in line with what I told Chuck about my system as a whole.

lfm
d) does firefox or other software install dll's in own folder rather than in common files folder. If doing that windows may reuse a dll already open when ff runs, making things go smooth. Process Exlorer can tell you about what dll's are open in every process and what it is dependent on. Long shot, and not easy to track down, but might be related how background processes running remove a problem.

Yes, it looks like Firefox has its dll's installed in its own Program Files folder, and not in any common folder. But I don't think I understand how that could make things run smoother...

lfm
e) the sonar setting for using audio exclusive or not and what drivers are installed for windows audio to use mediaplayers and stuff. To troubleshoot I would try altering some of that, may change sonar setting, maybe disable temporarily windows audio things like certain outputs etc. Just part of narrowing down the problem.

I've already disabled all other audio drivers and given Sonar exclusive control of audio while its open, if that's what you're referring to.
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/20 16:31:08 (permalink)
Try completely removing Norton from your system. I've seen it cause no end of system issues. If it does nothing you can always reinstall it.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
promidi
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1220
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/20 17:04:20 (permalink)
ampfixer
Try completely removing Norton from your system. I've seen it cause no end of system issues.

I was going to suggest the same thing.  Norton's is nothing but trouble.

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
CPU: i5 4670. 
Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
: Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
chuckebaby
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/20 20:40:23 (permalink)
I have to agree with John and Promidi. Norton is indeed the worst and most resource pig on this planet earth.
I mean no offense of course. this is probably the Anti virus that came with your Internet provider (Comcast, exc).
so its not your fault.

Just a minor suggestion but a switch to this Anti Virus:
https://www.avast.com/download-thank-you.php?product=FAV-ONLINE&locale=en-ww

Free Avast Anti Virus.
It's what 80% of us DAW users in the industry use (If using a Hybrid PC = DAW online PC).
It's free and it works, it also uses less than half of the resources of what Norton uses.

More often than not the Top 2 AV for DAW users are Avast and Microsoft security essentials.
Norton uses a lot of resources because it checks for every little thing.
I haven't paid for Anti Virus in over 7 years. Been using free Avast since 2008.
I did a paper on it in school (college not high school :-) It was a group project. We found that Avast was the best 3rd party free AV. The tests we did included blocking Malware, Rootkits, EXC.
The only thing it couldn't block was the FBI Virus. but since it was a test, all HD's were reformatted so I didn't need to worry. It was a great project. imagine surfing the net, trying to get a virus .
wouldn't try that on my DAW though.

Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB

KyRo
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/26 03:04:19 (permalink)
chuckebaby
I have to agree with John and Promidi. Norton is indeed the worst and most resource pig on this planet earth.
I mean no offense of course. this is probably the Anti virus that came with your Internet provider (Comcast, exc).
so its not your fault.

On the contrary, Norton is my AV program of choice. I've found it (from first-hand experience) to be the most reliable and secure of all AV's I've tried over the years (including free ones like Avast and AVG, and other paid ones like McAfee). And since I do all of my business on one PC at present, I'd be pretty hesitant to divorce myself from what I consider to be among the best at what it does.

I know it has the deeply-rooted reputation of being a resource-hog to the point of practically crippling one's system performance, and six or seven years ago, I'd have had to agree with that. But newer versions, and on more modern machines, have become notably more efficient, to where I never notice it getting in the way anymore... with the one possible exception being this issue I'm having now.

BUT, these symptoms never occurred until I installed the new graphics card. So if it is related to Norton, it's not Norton alone that's creating the problem, but some commingling of Norton and the card, one that, for some reason, gets cleared up by popping open Norton's settings window for a quick second. What I'd like to know (beyond just that Norton sucks) is why that seemingly inconsequential action fixes the problems I experience in Sonar...

ampfixer
Try completely removing Norton from your system. I've seen it cause no end of system issues. If it does nothing you can always reinstall it.

Well, I could try doing so, and it may very well make the stuttering and other issues stop, but like I explained to Chuck, Norton's my AV of choice. So if the only solutions are to open and close Norton's settings menu once a day to make things behave, or to switch from Norton to another AV program entirely, I have to admit I'm currently more comfortable with the former.

promidi
I was going to suggest the same thing.  Norton's is nothing but trouble.

In my case, it's saved me (more than once) from malicious attacks against which I've witnessed other AV's fail. So I have to side with it there, at the very least.

chuckebaby
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/26 10:19:59 (permalink)
well then your going to be left with some choices to make.
Norton is by far thee worst AV to use with digital audio work stations.
its still a pig on resources and could possibly be flagging your video card driver over a simple RS.
in some cases it literally disables drivers that don't pass an RS.
where Avast, AVG, MSE will simply flag it and leave you with a pop up choice.
not for nothing but you have 3 people in a row (users I respect their opinions very much)
telling you Norton is not a good choice. their advise is sound.

good luck on this.

Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/26 10:49:51 (permalink)
Would be easy to temporarily uninstall Norton completely, check if the problem goes away - then reinstall (if desired). 

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/26 11:23:48 (permalink)
I just re-read this thread after installing a new nVidia GTX950 PCIe x16 in my system. My onboard Intel HD graphics 2500 is apparently at end-of-life for Windows 10. So an add-on card is the only way I can use up to date graphics drivers until I can upgrade my cpu/motherboard.

Intel has issued this NOTE:
Microsoft Windows®10 drivers for 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 4000 and 3rd
Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 2500 will include support for WindowsDisplay Driver Model(WDDM) 1.3. For reference, WDDM 1.3 features are available on Microsoft’s Web site. This driver will not
be digitally signed for Windows®10, which means that it will not have been certified by Microsoft Windows Hardware Quality Labs(WHQL).
The driver is being provided as-is with no Intel support for any graphics issues found. Intel advises upgrading to Intel approved Windows 10 products for the best user experience and support.

Since installing the nVidia graphics board, I've been testing my Sonar Platinum and running Replendence LatencyMon. So far everything checks out good.  Still running ASIO buffer size 128.

I noticed that the PCIe x16 slot (which was previously empty) now shares IRQ 16 with my Texas Instruments 1394 FireWire controller.  But so far that does not seem to be an issue.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
abacab
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2016/10/26 11:54:20 (permalink)
chuckebaby
so its not your fault.

Just a minor suggestion but a switch to this Anti Virus:
https://www.avast.com/download-thank-you.php?product=FAV-ONLINE&locale=en-ww

Free Avast Anti Virus.
It's what 80% of us DAW users in the industry use (If using a Hybrid PC = DAW online PC).
It's free and it works, it also uses less than half of the resources of what Norton uses.

More often than not the Top 2 AV for DAW users are Avast and Microsoft security essentials.
Norton uses a lot of resources because it checks for every little thing.
I haven't paid for Anti Virus in over 7 years. Been using free Avast since 2008.
I did a paper on it in school (college not high school :-) It was a group project. We found that Avast was the best 3rd party free AV. The tests we did included blocking Malware, Rootkits, EXC.
The only thing it couldn't block was the FBI Virus. but since it was a test, all HD's were reformatted so I didn't need to worry. It was a great project. imagine surfing the net, trying to get a virus .
wouldn't try that on my DAW though.

I started using Avast about the same time as you, and would agree in general, up until last year.

I used Avast for years after fleeing from Norton.  We used Symantec at work, so I thought Norton had to be the best choice for home use.  But at some point it seemed to become so heavy on resources that I quit.  It may have improved since, but I never gave it another chance.  Personal opinion 

But in recent years, Avast has tried to add every possible option to become a security suite.  You have to be very aware during install to avoid the extras you may not want or need. Some things you even have to uninstall after the install.  Even then, I once had an extra browser installed on my PC out of the blue (pushed by Avast during update, not during an install), without being asked.  That was the final straw for me with Avast.  Avast AV detection scores have also slipped slightly recently.  I used to be a huge fan, but I have my concerns about the company now. Personal opinion

I have seen that the top AV detection scores now consistently belong to Avira, Bitdefender, and Kaspersky, and maybe a few others from time to time.  I am running Avira on my DAW without issue.  Avira Free uses the same detection engine as the Pro version, and has a good scan exclusion config.  You can exclude your audio and graphics drivers and programs to avoid possible conflicts.  Avira is light, and uses the Avira Protection Cloud to screen suspicious files, so your PC client doesn't have to run heavy algorithms.  I give it my recommendation.

I have been testing Bitdefender Free on a non-DAW PC, and it is light as well, but has limited scan config options.  Set and forget.  I think it may be a good runner up, if it doesn't conflict with anything on your system.

For the lightest resource hit and best Windows compatibility (and the lowest AV detection score), there is always Microsoft Security Essentials (Win 7) and Windows Defender (Win 8.1/10).

richlion821
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2017/08/28 07:15:26 (permalink)
Thanks guys I didn't know there was two pages of this. It took about 6 hours, to fix the problem, from reading, moving the mouse around to 3 USB ports, looking at all the settings and interrupts etc. At the beginning of August I was working with imy animation videos and I decided to upgrade again from a R9-290X card to a Nvidia for the first time in decades a GTX 1070. I bought a audio plug-in today and I wanted to find out how it sounded and finally booted up Sonar Plat. First shock, my 4-out Midi interface is dead, had to order a new one. After I did that I moved my mouse and the sound dropped out, never had that happen before, if I move the mouse fast the Audio engine drops out regardless of what monitor the mouse is on and it would stop and Sonar would freeze, if I did it enough. I stopped all the FX's, changed the buffer timings and size, nothing worked or changed. Updated to the latest video driver, clean install SOS. Then I read where one guy changed his power settings although I have my computer on Max performance, I went into the Windows control panel, and clicked on the Nvidia tab, and changed all the settings 3D and some of the relevant others to max. Booted Cakewalk and after the song was loaded the CPU thread monitors popped up right away, where before I had to push play a few times. Also if I paused the song before I adjusted the video card settings, If I moved the mouse I can see the thread monitors dip and I could make it drop out. Now things are fine and working normal. All those guys who went back to a older driver, all that probably did is adjust those settings also. Since some cards are under warranty, they probably bought down the power with the new driver, my card was factory overclocked. Hope this helps, but you don't need a 1070 card unless you do gaming or video graphics. I read a lot of stuff tonight, but you guys on here solved my problem. I was thinking I was going to have to open a blank window behind Cakewalk too, that was going to be the next step. Hard to believe this worked. If this doesn't you may have to up your power supply to handle your card. This card is 100 watts less than my R9-290X.   

Homebuilt computer: Arock  Taichi motherboard , 128 GB RAM, Intel i7 6800 @3.6 Ghz. GTX 1070 video card. 2 monitors on a dual vertical stand, MOTU 24AO interface, 2- Behringer ADA8200's; Win 10 Pro. Sonar Platinum. Cakewalk since Cakewalk DOS. Presonus 32.4.2 AI mixer.

chuckebaby
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2017/08/28 12:01:46 (permalink)
abacab

I started using Avast about the same time as you, and would agree in general, up until last year.
But in recent years, Avast has tried to add every possible option to become a security suite.  You have to be very aware during install to avoid the extras you may not want or need. Some things you even have to uninstall after the install.  Even then, I once had an extra browser installed on my PC out of the blue (pushed by Avast during update, not during an install), without being asked.  That was the final straw for me with Avast.  Avast AV detection scores have also slipped slightly recently.  I used to be a huge fan, but I have my concerns about the company now. Personal opinion

I have been testing Bitdefender Free on a non-DAW PC, and it is light as well, but has limited scan config options.  Set and forget.  I think it may be a good runner up, if it doesn't conflict with anything on your system.

For the lightest resource hit and best Windows compatibility (and the lowest AV detection score), there is always Microsoft Security Essentials (Win 7) and Windows Defender (Win 8.1/10).

I know this is an older post but I still use Avast.
Its free and with free comes hoops to jump through. I have never found extra software installed except the browser clean up tools and auto software updater, exc but those are 1 click turn off/uninstall. There is no shutting down and reboot needed.

What it comes down to is sooner or later those free AV software's you are exploring will soon add other bells and whistles, more hoops to jump through when they gain popularity like Avast has.

I totally agree Avast has got heavier through the years but I have noticed little difference in CPU usage once setting it up correctly and even a good paid for AV needs to be set up correctly. so no big deal there.

richlion821
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2017/09/06 04:05:02 (permalink)
Update: Bug in my boot drive and I had to re-install windows on new drive. I thought MB was bad but it was probably a file(s) that froze & stopped my BIOS from working. After I put Sonar back in I forgot about the mouse problem until I used it. I went to the control panel, search if you cant find it, and then look for Hardware and Sound, and click on that, and you should see a Nvidia control panel. I made the and all the adjustments while Sonar was paused and the mouse problem is still there. Then I tried adjusting one item at a time and still no change, the audio pauses and sometimes crashes as you move the mouse. I then started all over again and made all the adjustments together, but this time I closed and re-booted Sonar, and everything is great. Here are the settings that I used for my 1070 card. 

Ambient Occlusion: Performance
Anti Filtering: App Controlled
FXAA = ON
Gamma Correct= ON
Anti Mode: Enhance the application setting
Anti Setting: 2X
Transparency: Multisample
Cuda -GPUs   : All
DSR Factors: 1.20x
DSR Smooth: 100%
Max pre render frames: Use the 3D app.
Multi-Frame Samp : On
Power Managent mode: Prefer maximum performance
Shader Cache: On
Texture filtering(s): On, Allow, Quality, On.
Threaded: On
Triple buff: On
Vert Sync: Fast
Virt Reality: 4

Homebuilt computer: Arock  Taichi motherboard , 128 GB RAM, Intel i7 6800 @3.6 Ghz. GTX 1070 video card. 2 monitors on a dual vertical stand, MOTU 24AO interface, 2- Behringer ADA8200's; Win 10 Pro. Sonar Platinum. Cakewalk since Cakewalk DOS. Presonus 32.4.2 AI mixer.

Joe_A
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 458
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2017/09/06 09:10:43 (permalink)
A + for the Bitdefender use, I've been using couple years, no impact virtually.

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
abacab
Re: Stuttering audio and dropouts after installing new graphics card... 2017/09/06 15:21:15 (permalink)
chuckebaby
abacab

I know this is an older post but I still use Avast.
Its free and with free comes hoops to jump through. I have never found extra software installed except the browser clean up tools and auto software updater, exc but those are 1 click turn off/uninstall. There is no shutting down and reboot needed.

What it comes down to is sooner or later those free AV software's you are exploring will soon add other bells and whistles, more hoops to jump through when they gain popularity like Avast has.

I totally agree Avast has got heavier through the years but I have noticed little difference in CPU usage once setting it up correctly and even a good paid for AV needs to be set up correctly. so no big deal there.

Well nearly a year later, and I still will not run Avast on a critical system. 

My choice for that is still Avira.  It is nearly the most perfect AV that I have ever run.

But in all fairness, I do currently run Avast on a Win XP system that I use to run end of life software, that is not compatible with Win 10.  It seems that Avast has cleaned up the install a bit and it is rather unintrusive now.

I also have a non-critical Win 7 PC where I use Bitdefender Free.

So in terms of my interpretation of protection and low system impact combined (based on 3rd party test scores), my recommendations now would be for 1. Avira Free; 2. Bitdefender Free; 3. Avast Free.

But back to the OP's question for a moment, it would seem that his motherboard hardware was outdated, and possibly not compatible with the nvidia drivers, related to real-time audio, based on his latencymon test results.

In any case, it should be standard practice to temporarily remove security software if real time performance appears to be impacted.  But the LatencyMon test is the real key here.

Since the OP had no issues with the PC until adding the nvidia GPU, that introduced a driver that caused an increase in the DPC latency.  It was weird that opening a browser did improve the score, but Firefox does hook into hardware acceleration, so there may have been some happy unintended driver interaction going on there.

If it had been my PC, I probably would have tried a Radeon GPU for comparison. 

I have a 3rd gen Intel Core motherboard, and successfully tested two nvidia GPU's without impacting my latency.  So it may have been due to the nvidia drivers running on an old chipset and BIOS that were causing the original problem.

Another good reason to run modern hardware in your DAW! 

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1