TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
traphillman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30
2010/01/09 13:13:50 (permalink)

TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box?

I have a new 64-bit Windows 7 OS on a new laptop dedicated to my music production and performing.  My primary platform is PG Music's Band in a Box and Real Band.  I purchased Music Creator 5 to obtain the TTS-1 synth that so many on the PG Music forums were raving about.  When I play midi files that contain extreme pitch bends through the TTS the pitch bend sounds are distorted so badly the file can't be used.  Moreover, the very next file played seems to be altered, e.g., an instument such as a guitar is changed to another instrument such as a drum; a high-pitched sound may appear at the beginning of a track; a drum on channel ten is changed to a piano.  Yet all the files play correctly through my W98 computer with VSC, my Win XP Pro computer with VSCDXi, and through the new laptop with W7 when set to MME rather than TTS.  The only other virutal synth I have tired, ForteDXi 1.6, has essentially the same problem with heavy pitch bend files.  The tech I am working with at PG Music has not been able to figure it out so far and the Forte people have not responded to my msg.  I am reduced to using the MME.
Does anyone have any ideas?  Are the settings on the TTS that might not be right?  I haven't changed anything within Music Creator or TTS files.
Thank you for your help!  Scott

81 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/09 13:40:33 (permalink)
    hi scott - I've never heard of a problem like this.  how about if you send me your MIDI files that you're talking about - the ones with extreme pitch bends and I'll try it out here and see if I can see any reason that this would happen.  I have BIAB 2010 and MC5 also.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    traphillman
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/09 14:15:22 (permalink)
    Hi Beagle,
    Thanks for you help again.  I have sent you a direct e-mail with three of the files that I suspect of causing the problems.  Please let me know if you do not receive them.
    Thanks, Scott
    traphillman
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/19 21:08:13 (permalink)
    I have a 64 bit Windows 7 OS and I have been working with TTS-1 and ForteDXi synths in Real Band for a month trying to correct problems I reported in a earlier post in this thread.  I now believe it is likely that the TTS has a problem recognizing bank changes in midi files.  It seems like almost any bank change can cause an irregularity in the playback of the file AND in subsequent files - at least in my 64-bit W7 system.  For example, a file had an MSB: 1 entered on a drum channel.  The drums in the next file played were changed to a piano.  In another file bank changes on four channels resulted in three of the channels sounding as pianos and the fourth sounding as a fretting sound - the originally set sounds were two guitars, a bass, and strings.  When I deleted the bank changes in most cases the irregularities disappeared and subsequent files also functioned properly.  In a few files, usually GM2 files, with almost all channels containing bank changes, I was not able to solve the problems - until I exited the virtual synths and played the files with the midi mapper.  If the problem on the original file is not corrected in some way it seems that every successively opened file with the same synth installed has instrument changes - usually to piano sounds - like Program 1 was a default if the synth did not recognize the bank change.
    So far the only person who has duplicated these problems played the file I forwarded him on his XP system with the TTS and it was fine, but when he changed to the midi mapper and MME the distortions in sound occurred.
    ForteDXi admittedly does not recognize all bank changes (mostly effect-like sounds I understand, e.g., thunder) but I have not played a lot of files through Forte so I don't know the extent of the problem there.  Another strange occurrence is that when the sounds in a file played through the TTS has bank change problems it can sometimes be corrected by switching to the Forte.  Then when you switch back to the TTS, on the same file, the problem is sometimes corrected - like there has been a reset of the instruments.
    The sound on the TTS also seems so intense that sometimes high pitched sounds, like hung notes, develop and actually bleed over into the next file if there are inadequate resets at the end and beginning of files.  The absence of a zero entry on the end of pitch bend strings also appears to cause problems.
    I have been working through these problems one at a time for a month and am learning to live with them - usually by limiting or deleting bank changes or switching to the MME and midi mapper as a last resort.  I do not intend to post anymore about the topics as no one else appears to be experiencing them right now and the PG staff apparently has not been able to replicate the problems.  I have reported them to Cakewalk/TTS and to the Forte people.  But should someone else bump into the same or similar problems I would be happy to discuss them further.  I hope no one does.  I hope it is a set of problems somehow unique to my system or files.  However, the problems have certainly undermined my confidence in my back-up music for performances and it may take some time to restore.   :)
    Beagle
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/19 21:15:39 (permalink)
    scott - are you using TTS-1 in BIAB or MC5? are you changing the bank, patch and channel information in the properties of the MIDI track or are you changing it on the face of TTS-1?

Beagle
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/19 21:42:20 (permalink)
    oh , I missed that - you're using it in RB.

scott, I'm really not sure this is a problem with TTS-1.  TTS-1 works fine, no problems with patch changes or bad sound in sonar/mc5 in win7x64 platforms.  I think this is a problem with BIAB/RB.  it may not be sending the correct data under win7x64.  not sure why it would be different under xp or other 32bit systems, but this behavior is only being exhibited in BIAB/RB, so the problem lies there somehow.

traphillman
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/19 22:02:25 (permalink)
    Hi Reece,
    I am using TTS as the synth plug-in for midi sounds in Real Band, which is now part of BIAB.  As you know the bank changes in a file in Real Band are automatically entered in the respective tracks and can be viewed in the track window or the classic tracks window or the event list.  I have not entered the bank changes on any of the files that have problems.
    I have erased the bank changes and, as a result, been able to play the files through the TTS, when I could not play them through the TTS with the bank changes entered.  This seems like the strongest evidence for a problem in this area.
    I have sent files to cakewalk support and many files to PG Music and one to Forte.
    As you may recall I thought the problems were caused by pitch bend entries.  Now it seems much more likely there is a bank change recognition problem (although improperly input pitch bends seem to cause sound problems).  It may very well have something to do with the interaction of W7, 64-bit technology, and PG Music software, but the TTS is intimately involved in my problems.
    I certainly can't say what is causing the problems, but they are real, and they have brought my operations to a virtual halt for about six weeks.
    Since no one else can duplicate the problem I can only speculate on the causes based on my experiences.
    I gave up all together on TTS - twice - so far.  But I have been finding work arounds.  I described one or two of them in my earlier msg. 
    Everyone I communicate with loves the TTS sound.  I love it too.  But I can't trust it in my system until I can get rid of these problems.
    Again, thank you for your thoughts!  Scott
    traphillman
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/19 22:21:19 (permalink)
    Reece,
    As the administrator for this forum, and therefore as a kind of cakewalk representative, can you contact someone in Cakewalk support and have them review my msg's and actually contact PG Music if necessary (I have been talking to Kent in PG Support), and see if they can come up with a solution to these problems?
    Thanks, Scott
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/19 23:20:03 (permalink)
    Reece, As the administrator for this forum

Beagle got promoted!

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Beagle
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/20 08:12:55 (permalink)
    LOL!  Hey, Scott, actually, I'm not an admin of the forum!  I'm just a user!  I don't even have admin priviliges or you can bet that I'd be zapping some people!!!

However, I do have some cakewalk contacts that I could point to this thread or could give you one of their emails and let you contact them directly.

I do believe you have a problem with TTS-1, I don't doubt that at all, but I really think this is a PG Music implementation problem myself.  TTS-1 is flawless in cakewalk products on any platform (or we'd be hearing a lot more noise from the user base! - and I've spoken directly with some of the users of win7x64 to further verify).  My guess is that there's a problem with the way RB does the patch changes that is causing a problem.

I wish I had a win7x64 machine to test this myself on and help confirm your problems, but I've stuck with good ol' winxp for my music machine for a number of reasons (problems like you're having is one headache I don't need and I'm sure you don't either!).

I'll tell one of my cake contacts to take a look at this thread and see if he can help any.

traphillman
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/20 09:34:50 (permalink)
    Sorry, Greg.  Thanks for correcting me.
    Beagle, if your contact would agree to look at the problems he probably would like to know I sent Cakewalk Support a msg and some files about the problems.  I was given a Customer ID: and a reference number.  I have not received a response from them.
    It makes sense to me that it could be the way Real Band attempts to implement the bank changes that results in the problems - if it is a bank change problem.  I also noticed that the bank changes in some of the files were wrong, incomplete, or unnecessaary partial enties of an MSB and/or an LSB.  On four of my files I used the bank change dialogue box in Real Band to find the correct MSB and LSB settings for castanets and thunder and then entered them in the correct order in the event list.  And those bank changes play correctly in TTS.
    Once again, thank you for your help.  I am also glad to have Greg watching out for me.  I am the newbie here!  Scott
    post edited by traphillman - 2010/01/23 11:36:36
    Beagle
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/20 09:52:23 (permalink)
    Ah, I didn't know you had received a response from cake.  I did send Willy an email, but if you've already got a response and reference number then he might just let whichever tech has the ticket continue to look at it.

traphillman
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/20 10:31:00 (permalink)
    No,  I have not received a response.   I sent in the request for help and the customer ID and reference number were automatically assigned at that time - but I have not gotten a response or even a confirmation that they received the msg.

I just found a new thread on the PG Forums where there are many messages from people having trouble with bank changes, but none of them appear to involve TTS.  I posted there about my problems and hope that brings some positive input.  At least one of the posters had already e-mailed Peter Gammons about the problems he had experienced and PG Music is apparently looking into it.

Thank you for contacting Willie.  If we could just find out what is going on and that someone is working on the issues we could be fairly confident it will all get worked out sooner or later.

I'll let you know if I hear anything else related.  Thanks, Scott
    Beagle
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/20 10:35:16 (permalink)
    ah, ok.  well, telling Willy will probably at least get some attention to it.

I just found a new thread on the PG Forums where there are many messages from people having trouble with bank changes, but none of them appear to involve TTS.  I posted there about my problems and hope that brings some positive input.  At least one of the posters had already e-mailed Peter Gammons about the problems he had experienced and PG Music is apparently looking into it.

that's actually really good news!  if others are having similar problems then it's likely repeatable and can get fixed! 

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/20 11:40:39 (permalink)
    I am also glad to have Greg watching out for me.

Well, you seem to know a lot more about MIDI than I do (I don't even know what MSB and LSB are) and I don't have Win 7 or a 64-bit processor, or Real Band/BIAB and never do patch changes in the same track, so I don't have anything to offer except a quip or 2.
    I'm interested in the conclusion, though.
    Several of us here are also from NC.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/20 13:20:07 (permalink)
    hey trap... you might want to go back and edit that post with the phone number and the customer ID and other sensative data in it.... if you want to send a phone number to someone..... best to use email or the private messaging PM option.... just click a user's name in the avatar area.... you can access PM from there.....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/20 13:23:18 (permalink)
    I am lightly confused on this one so far i gather that the problem exist when you use TTS in RB and or BiaB, and that in those two programs TTS does not handle Pitch bends properly, due to a problem with the patches that are being used or changed to in the midi file. Am i right on this one?

I recall a thread about this at PG, was that you also, if so i also recall that Mac mentioned that premade midi files sometimes come with embedded patch change info that might be problematic. Openning up the event list might reveal this information. Also it might be interesting to research into which patches do not handle pitch bend well, and not all instruments sound good with a bend.

Also since this is not occuring in MC or Sonar, and only in RB and Biab, then this is not likely to get resolved here on a MC forum, since most folks here are MC users and can not duplicate this issue. TTS while a Roland product (the parent company) is still not an MC product. It was ported to work in MC and Sonar. I use it in RB exclusively and i have not heard this issue you speak of, so i would guess it is a issue with your system and or midi files.

Did you create these, or download the midi files? and if so send them to me and i will try to recreate the problem in RB. It should be easy since i use TTS with RB exclusively.

post edited by Robomusic - 2010/01/20 13:25:14

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/20 13:39:27 (permalink)
    Scott i went back and re-read your post at PG. 2 questions.  1. Do you use the laptop for performance? and 2. Have you tried the synthfont program raintalk mentioned over there with a GM sound set in it?

Regarding 1. If you use the laptop i suggest moving toward a external sound source and thus getting the synth function outside the computer, like a ketron unit. Regarding 2. I tried this and it was pretty decent, and there is a few real goood sets out there.

Seems like most of the folks at PG that play live use external hardware synths. Besides the benefit above it also take a huge strain off the laptop since al synth load is not internal.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/22 18:58:03 (permalink)
    Traphillman,

It seems to me that you need to be aware that GM (General MIDI) DOES NOT USE banks, and that once you do USE banks, you are out of General MIDI compliance.

So if you use banks, you can get disparate sounds for sure depending on which sound module plays them.

Now, a GM synth (hardware or software) IGNORES banks and plays whatever the ProgramNumber is called for.

Forte DXi is GM, so it will play most MIDI files OK.

TTS (I don't have) but the name means to me "Twelve Tone Systesm" which means it's a Cakewalk product, which is a Roland oriented long ago, and now Roland owned.

That means it is both GM and GS (a roland standard that does use banks).

So, see if TTS has a setting so it can be set to GM only and ignores banks.

Now if you do want to use banks, and your Synth responds to banks, then you HAVE TO know which instrument corresponds to the Bank and to the program number you want to sound...No way around that, because banks are used differently by different Synth makers..Korg, Proteus, Yamaha use banks as they want, so banked instruments for one is not guaranteed to be the same as for another synth.

As to drum sounds, keek also in mind that GM HAS TO HAVE drums on MIDI channel 10, and Non-GM synths do use banks for drum kits, but use them, again in their own ways. But still, they want drums on Ch-10.

Some synths can play drums in any channel, others don't.

So if you sen a drum track to a GM on ch-1 it may play a piano, instead of the Standard-kit, because they have the same Program Number.

I don't believe that TTS should have the problems you mention, except perhaps for extreme pitch bends.

On Forte DXi, keep in mind, also that it is a SAMPLED (waveform) based synth, and therefore, it does not have the capability to respond well to all MIDI effects. It has to do with the resources that are required, and with the samples..ForteDXi loads the entire MIDI set, so it'd be very difficult to have all possible resources for so many loaded instruments. And this very well applies to all soft synths that are 128 instruments load (General MIDI sets).

For most total effect response hardware GM would be better, obviously, than software ones.

Hope all works out.
    Beagle
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/22 21:47:39 (permalink)
    well, yes, true, GM itself doesn't have banks, but General MIDI 2 does.  and TTS-1 is a GM2 softsynth.  MC and BIAB are both compliant with GM2, so I'm not sure your statement is entirely correct here when you say that a GM synth will ignore the banks because we're not talking about a GM synth, we're talking about a GM2 synth and it does not ignore banks.

Now if you do want to use banks, and your Synth responds to banks, then you HAVE TO know which instrument corresponds to the Bank and to the program number you want to sound...No way around that, because banks are used differently by different Synth makers..Korg, Proteus, Yamaha use banks as they want, so banked instruments for one is not guaranteed to be the same as for another synth.

I'm not sure you understand the problem he's having.  he's using Real Band by PG music (basically the same thing as Band in a Box).  it is the HOST and TTS-1 is the softsynth being used for the MIDI data.  the MIDI data is sent to TTS-1 (which is a GM2 softsynth) and TTS-1 will make the sounds on his computer speakers.  it doesn't have anything to do with hardware synths, the MIDI data is generated by the program and sent to TTS-1.  the host and the MIDI data that's created should respond to GM2 banks and patches.

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/23 01:26:58 (permalink)
    Copy that.
    While it's true that Korg, Proteus, Yamaha, etc., have custom proprietary banks, the whole idea of GM and GM2 is that a given patch/bank combination will be the same on any GM/GM2 machine.
    This article contains a table of the standard GM2 banks and patches.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI_Level_2
    Scott, you may find this helpful. Especially the section on drums.
    Note that for drums, you need to set your MSB to 120.
    Refering to post #4, If you set your MSB to 1, and the patch is set to 1(standard set in the drum bank), you will indeed get a piano(Wet Acoustic Grand).
    TTS1 will allow drums on any channel, but the preset rhythm bank must be selected.
    That's not to suggest that there may not be a legitimate problem, but that particular instance seems to involve some degree of pilot error.
    After poking around in the PG threads, there may be some issues regarding how bank changes are handled.
    It will be interesting to see how this pans out.
    post edited by RobertB - 2010/01/23 08:10:13

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    NoKey
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/23 04:29:01 (permalink)
    Beagle

well, yes, true, GM itself doesn't have banks, but General MIDI 2 does.  and TTS-1 is a GM2 softsynth.  MC and BIAB are both compliant with GM2, so I'm not sure your statement is entirely correct here when you say that a GM synth will ignore the banks because we're not talking about a GM synth, we're talking about a GM2 synth and it does not ignore banks.

I'm not sure you understand the problem he's having.  he's using Real Band by PG music (basically the same thing as Band in a Box).  it is the HOST and TTS-1 is the softsynth being used for the MIDI data.  the MIDI data is sent to TTS-1 (which is a GM2 softsynth) and TTS-1 will make the sounds on his computer speakers.  it doesn't have anything to do with hardware synths, the MIDI data is generated by the program and sent to TTS-1.  the host and the MIDI data that's created should respond to GM2 banks and patches.
    Beagle,

1. If the TTS1 does not have a match to bank it should ignore the Bank Number, same as for GM.

2. I have Real Band, and all the PG Music softwares, up to last year. Real Tracks are not MIDI, though. Please tell me which part it is that you think that I don't understand on hardware and soft synths and MIDI data, so I can then understand what you mean.

3. The GM2 voices are NOT all of the voices that the GM2 can handle. For instance, like for Patch#1 there are only 3 banks, out of 128 possible defines. So it is important to know what voice one is really after, because compatible does not mean that some synth has more, and in that "more" they can put any thing they want.

4. True, the device "should" respond to the data. But if the data does not represent what one wants, the wrong response will be heard "through the speakers".

5. Traphill says that if he gets rid of the bank numbers, then TTS1 plays the file OK. So the problem obviously is in the Bank Numbers being used, which is my suggestion, and no more. And if he is using bank numbers he needs to check the TTS instrument list to make sure they match what he wants. He probably is using bank numbers for anoter system or the wrong MSB, or something like that.

I don't have anything else to add.

NoKey
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/23 05:00:16 (permalink)
    RobertB

Copy that.
    While it's true that Korg, Proteus, Yamaha, etc., have custom proprietary banks, the whole idea of GM and GM2 is that a given patch/bank combination will be the same on any GM/GM2 machine.
    This article contains a table of the standard GM2 banks and patches.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI_Level_2
    Scott, you may find this helpful. Especially the section on drums.
    Note that for drums, you need to set your MSB to 120.
    Refering to post #4, If you set your MSB to 1, and the patch is set to 1(standard set in the drum bank), you will indeed get a piano(Wet Acoustic Grand).
    It's not the channel, it's the bank. TTS1 will allow drums on any channel, but the preset rhythm bank must be selected.
    That's not to suggest that there may not be a legitimate problem, but that particular instance seems to involve some degree of pilot error.
    After poking around in the PG threads, there may be some issues regarding how bank changes are handled.
    It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Hi Robert,

I would like to comment as follows:

1. The GM2 spec is only a subset of a certain minimum of instruments. Once that is met, the sound module can have beyond that. So, if the file calls beyond the standard, there's no guarantee on the voices being matched, although they probably will try. Heck, even within the standard set, different sound modules will sound a MIDI file different.

2. I don't have TTS1, as said, but GM2 will allow Drums on only channels 10 and 11, I believe.  Yamaha XG allows them on any channel.. Proteus does not care and allows 16 drum sets on any one of the 16 channels if the computer can handle them.

As a side note:
        Proteus is neither GM nor GS nor XG nor anything, and that's one thing I like about it. It WILL NOT sound the voice unless it matches by bank and voice. In fact, I personally believe that that's a much more correct way of doing things..I can still make as set that is GM, or XG, or most others because it is customizable. Many musicians do not care for GM GM2 etc. They just want what they need, and there's no point in those standards if they need only a few really great sounds. But, of course the standards do have their place, as in MIDI files, Band In a Box, One Man Band, and hardware keyboard arrangers.

I don't claim to have "the" answer to anything, but I do hope that among so much said, Traphillman finds his way out to his solving the problem.

Which is what really matters and I am sure we all agree on that, but maybe from different viewpoints.

Beagle
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/23 06:25:12 (permalink)
    NoKey
    Beagle,

1. If the TTS1 does not have a match to bank it should ignore the Bank Number, same as for GM.

But it does have a match to bank.  didn't you say you don't have TTS-1?  How do you know it doesn't have banks if you don't have it?

2. I have Real Band, and all the PG Music softwares, up to last year. Real Tracks are not MIDI, though. Please tell me which part it is that you think that I don't understand on hardware and soft synths and MIDI data, so I can then understand what you mean.

I know Real Tracks are not MIDI, I also have BIAB/RB.  But he's not having a problem with Real Tracks, he's having a problem with TTS-1 as the output of his MIDI.  I don't see where the OP mentioned using Real Tracks at all for this problem.

3. The GM2 voices are NOT all of the voices that the GM2 can handle. For instance, like for Patch#1 there are only 3 banks, out of 128 possible defines. So it is important to know what voice one is really after, because compatible does not mean that some synth has more, and in that "more" they can put any thing they want.

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand you mean here.  GM2 is up to 16384 banks with 128 voices in each bank possible.  but TTS-1 is specifically defined.  it has 16 banks with 5 of them user definable.  the user definable ones are defaulted to Piano I until they are saved as something different.  I'm really not following what you mean, tho, by 3 banks available for "Patch #1" out of 128 possible defines.  In TTS-1 you should be able to choose from any of those 16 banks with 128 possible defines from each one (not each bank is filled with 128 patches, tho).
    4. True, the device "should" respond to the data. But if the data does not represent what one wants, the wrong response will be heard "through the speakers".

I agree and I think this is the root of the problem.  I think that the host is not correlating the MIDI data correctly when sent to TTS-1 when the banks are present in the data.

5. Traphill says that if he gets rid of the bank numbers, then TTS1 plays the file OK. So the problem obviously is in the Bank Numbers being used, which is my suggestion, and no more. And if he is using bank numbers he needs to check the TTS instrument list to make sure they match what he wants. He probably is using bank numbers for anoter system or the wrong MSB, or something like that.

As I said above, I think RB is interpreting the bank numbers incorrectly for TTS-1 for whatever reason when it sends them to TTS-1, not that the user is setting the bank numbers incorrectly, although I'm sure that could be possible, but IMO would be unlikely since you have to choose the bank numbers from a list as defined by the host (which in turn is pulled from TTS-1's info) instead of just setting them to whatever you want.

I don't have anything else to add.

I really am not trying to make you mad or discredit you.  I really want to help the OP with his problem.  If I have offended you then I apologize.
    post edited by Beagle - 2010/01/23 06:39:13

Beagle
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/23 06:35:32 (permalink)
        2. I don't have TTS1, as said, but GM2 will allow Drums on only channels 10 and 11, I believe.  Yamaha XG allows them on any channel.. Proteus does not care and allows 16 drum sets on any one of the 16 channels if the computer can handle them.

just to clarify:  TTS-1 does allow drums on any of the 16 channels.  as long as you set the bank and patch correctly it will work fine on any channel.  I just did a test project to verify before I posted.  I have the MIDI tracks' properties set to TTS-1 for output, Channel 1, bank 15360-Preset Rhythm, Patch = Standard Set.  I then put some kick notes into the MIDI track and played the project.  it works fine.

I don't claim to have "the" answer to anything, but I do hope that among so much said, Traphillman finds his way out to his solving the problem.

Which is what really matters and I am sure we all agree on that, but maybe from different viewpoints.

I do not doubt that you want to help the OP solve his problem as do I.

traphillman
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/23 12:11:27 (permalink)
    Boy, do I want to thank you ALL!  You have helped me learn a lot.  But Andrew, on the PG Music Tech Support Staff appears to have solved the problem.  Let me do my best to explain it simply - because I am not knowledgeable enough to explain it in the best technical terms.

Essentially the TTS does not change automatically from GM2 to GS mode when a SysEx msg is sent (my external SD-20 does).  Roland says soft synths do not recognize any SysEx msgs.  When Real Band opens a midi file it usually (according to Andrew) strips the bank change controllers from the event list and puts the information in the patch dialog area (altho sometimes some MSB or LSB contollers are not stripped and remain in the event list).  TTS is by default in the GM2 mode (although you can manually change it to GS, etc). 

So, improper or incomplete bank change settings in the midi files can cause the TTS to go to its default settings with certain MSB contoller numbers (other than 120 for drums and 121 for all other instruments).  The default settings in TTS in this situation are PC 1 (piano) -unless you have manually changed it to something else.  So your instrument can be automatically changed to a piano or, ocassionally, something else, by the TTS when it gets an improper bank change controller.

So I need to go back into all the files and make sure I am getting the right bank change msgs to the TTS.  I have list of all the GS and GM2 bank change possiblities.  I suppose that is all as clear as mud!  Sorry.

As to the possibility of pitch changes distorting sounds, the TTS help file says if you have sound troubles with the TTS turn down the volume.  I initially had my lappy sound set to 100%, but I have turned it down.  Andrew, at PG Music says about the only problem people have with pitch bend is failing to enter a zero at the end of the pitch bend strings.  I found many such situations in the midi files I have.  It can lead to the bleeding of sound into the next file played.  Of course, if there is an improper bank change msg on a channel with pitch bend you can get unusual results.

Rob, I have not tried the raintalk synth, but I will look for it.

Robert, I first got paid for singing in El Paso.  I have lived there three times and in Mineral Wells, San Antonio, Corpus, and Houston.  I worked in Colorado Springs for two years singing for a company from Austin, The Trail Dust Steak House.  I love Texas.

I also love western North Carolina, where my wife's parents were born, and where we retired.  So thanks to all the help from North Caolinians Herb, Greg, and others.

Herb, I made the edits you suggested.  Thank you.

Thanks to No Key for the insights and advice!

A special thanks to Beagle for really steering me along as I tried to find answers to the problems!

I have a lot of work ahead but the TTS is sounding better and I have a plan and a much better understand of how to solve the problems so I can get back to just making music - thanks in large part to each of you who have contributed.

I am sure this will not be my last problem but I now feel like I have a number of friends who are willing to help overcome whatever the problem might be!  You can't beat that!

Thank you all!  Scott 
    Beagle
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/23 12:20:34 (permalink)
    very happy that it worked out in the end, Scott!  very glad that pg music figured out the problem!    

Electric Falcon™
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 555
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/23 15:48:39 (permalink)

just to clarify:  TTS-1 does allow drums on any of the 16 channels.  as long as you set the bank and patch correctly it will work fine on any channel.  I just did a test project to verify before I posted.  I have the MIDI tracks' properties set to TTS-1 for output, Channel 1, bank 15360-Preset Rhythm, Patch = Standard Set.  I then put some kick notes into the MIDI track and played the project.  it works fine.

I mostly use Discrete drum loops for now, but I do add different drum sounds sometimes mixed in with those loops, I do it using TTS-1 and you are right, you can add drums on any of the 16 channels because I do that all the time.

Bobby

The CyberSpace Pub   This is the link to my Website and Music. I got it working again now as of today. Check it out - 1-26-2010
    NoKey
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/23 21:33:04 (permalink)
    Hi again, Beagle,

Would like to state the following..

1. Never said TTS1 does not have banks. I know it has banks, even if I don't have it, because it supports GM2, and GM2 uses banks. It would be silly to escalate up from GM, which uses no banks, while every one else was above GM, using banks. Actually banks are allowed since GM1.

2. The max number of Banks for GM2 is 256 (not 16,000+ as you say), and that's because they fix the value of the MSB and vary ONLY the LSB. Don't forget that one byte can hold a maximum value of 256. The number of Program#'s is still 128, though for compatibility with GM and others.

3. Where you say you don't understand where I stated that Patch#1 of GM2 only has like 3 pianos or so, it means THAT's what GM2 DEFINES as GM2 compliant for that patch#. You surely don't suppose that if to be GM2 compliant a module maker had to have all possible voices. It'd be impossible. So they have DEFINED a certain minimum AS THE STANDARD, similar to what they did in earlier standards. And I also will mention that the MAXIMUM number of voices for the GM2 standard is not 16384 banks with 128 voices, as you say, but it is 256*128 which is 32,768 total voices. Again, 256 is the Maximum number that the LSB can represent.

We both know that RealBand mixes MIDI and RealTracks, of course.  But I don't believe that RealBand MIDI part is handling Bank numbers incorrectly. What I do know is that there are several ways of CHANGING BANKS, and that in those products of PG Music, you HAVE TO SPECIFY which Bank-Changing method to use. Sonar is also like that. Most likely that's the problem, and that's why I said to check the MSB and LSB values of the file.

Beagle, I make every effort not to take things personally, nor make them. I am a technical person by profession, and I focus on the facts and in helping solve problems. I am in this forum more than that, looking for help on using Sonar and to learn from the experiences shared here. So, for me no apology is needed, since so far no offense is taken. I trust that this is a reciprocal attitude here.
    NoKey
    Re:TTS Problem in BAnd in a Box? 2010/01/23 21:52:59 (permalink)
    Traphillman,

Good to hear you are on your way, and wish you all the best.

I will mention something that might apply when checking and  changing those files: Once a Bank-Change is made, all Program# Patches calls will apply to THAT bank, that's kind of conventional, but in a MIDI file, due to distance from a Patch change to subsequent Patch changes, it can be hard to trouble shoot...This also means that if you do change a voice at one point by changing both Bank and Voice, you'd be also affecting SUBSEQUENT voices that you may not want to. Of course, this applies on each MIDI channel separately, so a Bank change remains current for that MIDI channel untill another Bank change in it takes place.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1