Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Etostone
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 202
2015/02/05 22:08:42 (permalink)

Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem

Hello everyone, 

Recently I have purchased a Tascam US 4x4 usb audio card.
I am using windows 8.1 pro , 64 bit, 32 GB ram .
Everything seems ok , but when I run Cakewalk Sonar x3e,
two things are happening.
If I run Sonar x3e directly after I enter windows , Sonar runs ok with Tascam drivers.
But if I play an audio file before I enter Sonar x3, and then run Sonar , sonar says the drivers are missing and there is no drivers in the listing from the Sonar's preferences menu.
It's like Windows are keeping the drivers only for windows themselves.
Same thing happening , after I exit sonar x3 after a session. (Sonar runs ok only if I run it directly after I start windows)
NO audio can be heard , no video files could be run , actually any multimedia file can't run for some reason. It stucks at 0 time play. That happens if I also run a video on youtube. The video on youtube won't start. All because probaly an audio driver problem.
Any solutions or advices ? It seems like Tascam drivers are not working fine with windows 8.1 pro 64 bit in comparison with Cakewalk Sonar x3e.

Setup:
Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
Cakewalk Sonar X3e 64 bit
CPU : Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5 GHz Six Core Socket 2011-3 140W Box
GPU : nVidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB DDR5 PCI-E
RAM : 32GB DDR4 Non ECC CL16 2400MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport
Mother board : Asrock x99 extreme 6

EDIT- HiJacked solution  !
I found the solution by using a third party asio drivers. 
Any Tascam USB audio users that would like to use this driver. it's only 18 euros but you can solve all the problems
with your driver and experience much better your whole computer configuration and enjoy your work. 
Here is the link driver : 
http://odeus-audio.com.au/Odeus/AsioLink
post edited by Etostone - 2015/02/07 15:50:48

Etostone Music Producer/Mastering Engineer/Label Owner

- Visit my Main Site
- Visit my Mastering Site
- Visit my Label Site

tKx5050
  • Total Posts : 221
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/05 22:34:34 (permalink)
Don't have a quick answer for you but windows is taking exclusive hold of the driver. What driver are you using with the Tascam? And how is Windows Sound Playback/Record set? If your using the Tascam for Windows Sound check the advanced tab on the properties page and see if the allow app's exclusive mode options are set. 

Steve

Sonar Platinum, Quad-Capture, I7-3770, 32Gb
Etostone
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/05 22:59:09 (permalink)
Hi Steve, 

thank you for your reply. 
Well I tried all things you mentioned with no results. 

One thing I tried was to power off and on the device. That gave me one more try to enter Cakewalk Sonar with success and found the drivers ok . 
But when I tried to exit Sonar , play an audio file from windows and return to Sonar , then again no audio drivers. 
Tried to power on and off again the Tascam us 4x4 and this time with no luck. 

The device is lost at all , no drivers at all . All multimedia are stuck when clicked to play. Don't play and stuck to 0 time. 
I can't also restart or shut down the computer !!!! Windows holds on restarting or shutting down options.  
It's crazy . 
Nothing of these happens if I don't run Sonar . Computer , windows and audio runs great inside windows 8.1 pro 64. All the disaster happens in comparison with Sonar. 

I am sure it's a driver or firmware problem of Tascam Us 4x4 or a strange conflict.
Sadly Tascam seems slow on driver and firmware updates. 

- Visit my Main Site
- Visit my Label Site

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/06 02:09:47 (permalink)
I assume you've downloaded the latest TASCAM drivers and firmware from their web site. I use the US-4x4 in my studio, have been for months...it works fine with SONAR.

However, if SONAR is open and I play something with Windows Media Player, I can do so. But then if I try to play something from SONAR, I can't because it doesn't see the drivers. If I close Windows Media Player, close SONAR, and re-open SONAR, then I can play sounds through SONAR again.

Basically, audio programs like to have the computer to themselves. I use ASIO when running SONAR; I assume you do too. Then again I don't use other programs to listen to sounds any more, as I can do that from SONAR's Media Browser.

Most of the time all you need to do is close any audio programs to release the drivers, then open the program you want to use.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
WDI
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2069
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/06 03:23:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robert_e_bone 2015/02/07 12:33:15
I always configured Windows to use the onboard sound card and configured Sonar to use ASIO with either of my audio interfaces to avoid these types of problems. Windows seems to manage sharing devices horribly, and specifically audio interfaces. Another problem besides the audio interfaced being locked is Windows will switch the sample rate. All of a sudden your project starts playing back at the wrong speed because Windows media player or IE switched the sample rate.

Sonar 7 PE
Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
MSI K8N Neo4-F
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2 GB PC 3200 Ram
RME Fireface 800
Edirol FA-66
CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
Etostone
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/06 05:18:18 (permalink)
Anderton
I assume you've downloaded the latest TASCAM drivers and firmware from their web site. I use the US-4x4 in my studio, have been for months...it works fine with SONAR.

However, if SONAR is open and I play something with Windows Media Player, I can do so. But then if I try to play something from SONAR, I can't because it doesn't see the drivers. If I close Windows Media Player, close SONAR, and re-open SONAR, then I can play sounds through SONAR again.

Basically, audio programs like to have the computer to themselves. I use ASIO when running SONAR; I assume you do too. Then again I don't use other programs to listen to sounds any more, as I can do that from SONAR's Media Browser.

Most of the time all you need to do is close any audio programs to release the drivers, then open the program you want to use.

Thank you Anderton , 

I would like to share more information  about this issue. I found a semi solution , that it's a bit annoying , but still I can work around this problem somehow.
The semi solution is the following: After running cakewalk sonar ,I do my work , and then exit, I wait for 20 seconds , and then starting to play music files , surfing on youtube , multimedia things. And that works.
The solution is to wait around 15-20 seconds after every exit from Cakewalk Sonar or before going into Cakewalk sonar after I have played various multimedia files. That's strange I can say , I am not sure why that happens. It's like the driver is not free after the exit of Sonar , or it's not free after I play a multimedia file (audio or video).
It needs sometime to rest and then use the audio driver again. If the conflict happens , it strains windows very much. If I don't wait for 15- 20 seconds , the conflict happens and the drivers of Tascam us 4x4 are disabled from the use of Sonar , or even from the Windows for every multimedia file access. And further more with that conflict I can't shut down the computer or even restart. It halts the whole system at the restart or shutting process.
Luckily that work around helps a little bit , but I am sure it really need a decent fix. 

Well I still have my previous computer with an M-AUDIO Delta 1010Lt . 
I never had the same issue with the M-AUDIO card. 

What's the settings you have in the preferences for the driver inside Sonar ? The options where you select the "share driver with other programmes" etc , which of those you have enabled or disabled for best experience ? 

Thanks! 

ps. The time of waiting might be lower like 5 or 10 seconds. But still testing the 15-20 second period. 

- Visit my Main Site
- Visit my Label Site

Anderton
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/06 10:40:10 (permalink)
Etostone

Drivers behave differently from different manufacturers depending on a variety of factors. I've had interfaces that work the same way as the TASCAM and others that work same way as M-Audio.

What's the settings you have in the preferences for the driver inside Sonar ? The options where you select the "share driver with other programmes" etc , which of those you have enabled or disabled for best experience ?

Here's what I do:
  • Turn off share drivers in Preferences.
  • Use ASIO drivers with SONAR.
  • Only one program that wants audio runs at one time, and I close it before opening another program that wants audio.
At least for me this takes care of the driver issue, and also what happens if the sample rates between programs differ.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
lludwick
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 74
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/06 10:54:31 (permalink)
I have  the 4x4 but have not installed it yet. For several years I've used the Tascam US-1641 which has been pretty much flawless as an interface. However, certainly if I turn on the interface it works with Windows applications. When I go into Sonar X3 or Platinum, no problem but if while Sonar is running, I switch to a browser I don't get any sound. Sonar seems to lock the drivers. Not much of a problem for me. I just wait until I exit Sonar. It may take a few seconds for Sonar to release the hold on the drivers, but after leaving Sonar the Tascam works with Windows as normal.

However, I expect the new drivers for 4x4 could be at fault if they don't release after Sonar closes. You might look at the task manager to see if any process from Tascam is running before you choose to shut down. Nothing in the drivers should remain as a process running if you power off the Tascam. You could try killing a task identified as initiated by Tascam if you find one running and then try to shut down to see if that helps.

Larry Ludwick

My Music on Soundclick:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=823722

Etostone
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/06 15:02:29 (permalink)
Anderton
Etostone

Drivers behave differently from different manufacturers depending on a variety of factors. I've had interfaces that work the same way as the TASCAM and others that work same way as M-Audio.

Here's what I do:
  • Turn off share drivers in Preferences.
  • Use ASIO drivers with SONAR.
  • Only one program that wants audio runs at one time, and I close it before opening another program that wants audio.
At least for me this takes care of the driver issue, and also what happens if the sample rates between programs differ.

Thank you Anderton , your info really helps. 
The thing with my issue is that , when the driver conflicts happens , the drivers get lost from the system!  
It's not just to wait for the drivers to get released. That would be ok. The problem is that the drivers get lost 
and device could get back to work after a restart or shutdown only. Both restart and shutdown after a conflict halts the procedure. I need to wait 5 minutes to get the PC shutdown after a conflict of the driver. 

When the PC gets back after the restart of the computer , windows starts with no audio drivers. 
I have to turn off , and then turn on again the rack interface for the drivers to start ! 
Drivers need an update for sure. 

Also found the same happens with Adobe Premiere CC . When I edit a video , and I play a youtube tutorial or a multimedia file in the browser the same thing happens like in Sonar. Things get crazy , drivers get conflict , need to restart the whole PC , and when I come in again need to turn off and turn on the rack interface for the driver to be seen. 

Another thing I would like to ask you.
1) Which OS are you using ? Windows 7 or 8 ? 8.1 pro , 64 bit ? 
2) How's the support of Tascam ? It's been like 24 hours and I haven't recieved any reply from them for that serious driver issue. 

post edited by Etostone - 2015/02/06 19:57:29

- Visit my Main Site
- Visit my Label Site

Etostone
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/06 15:02:58 (permalink)
s

- Visit my Main Site
- Visit my Label Site

Etostone
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/06 15:09:50 (permalink)
lludwick
I have  the 4x4 but have not installed it yet. For several years I've used the Tascam US-1641 which has been pretty much flawless as an interface. However, certainly if I turn on the interface it works with Windows applications. When I go into Sonar X3 or Platinum, no problem but if while Sonar is running, I switch to a browser I don't get any sound. Sonar seems to lock the drivers. Not much of a problem for me. I just wait until I exit Sonar. It may take a few seconds for Sonar to release the hold on the drivers, but after leaving Sonar the Tascam works with Windows as normal.

However, I expect the new drivers for 4x4 could be at fault if they don't release after Sonar closes. You might look at the task manager to see if any process from Tascam is running before you choose to shut down. Nothing in the drivers should remain as a process running if you power off the Tascam. You could try killing a task identified as initiated by Tascam if you find one running and then try to shut down to see if that helps.

Thanks lludwik , 

Whats your operating system ? Same happens here , but when conflict happens , the drivers are getting lost in the system. It's a bug of the driver they need to fix for windows 8.1 pro 64 bit. I need to restart windows everytime that happens and it's very annoying cause restart can't complete , it holds for around 5 mins. Usually takes 2 seconds to restart when all goes fine. 

- Visit my Main Site
- Visit my Label Site

lludwick
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/06 16:11:11 (permalink)
Etostone
lludwick

Thanks lludwik , 

Whats your operating system ? Same happens here , but when conflict happens , the drivers are getting lost in the system. It's a bug of the driver they need to fix for windows 8.1 pro 64 bit. I need to restart windows everytime that happens and it's very annoying cause restart can't complete , it holds for around 5 mins. Usually takes 2 seconds to restart when all goes fine. 

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I'd have to check but with the Tascam US-1641 I am almost certain the drivers are not ASIO, however I never have latency problems with them.

I will probably install the 4x4 this weekend and I will report back here on my success or lack of success.

Larry Ludwick

My Music on Soundclick:

tKx5050
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/06 18:31:56 (permalink)
Etostone

All multimedia are stuck when clicked to play. Don't play and stuck to 0 time. 
I can't also restart or shut down the computer !!!! Windows holds on restarting or shutting down options.  
It's crazy . 
Nothing of these happens if I don't run Sonar . Computer , windows and audio runs great inside windows 8.1 pro 64. All the disaster happens in comparison with Sonar. 

Yeah, that's very weird. That's definitely more than just the driver not being released. Is Sonar still listed as a running task after you exit? Sorry, wish I had something more for you. Good luck.

Steve

Etostone
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/06 19:45:18 (permalink)
tKx5050
Etostone

All multimedia are stuck when clicked to play. Don't play and stuck to 0 time. 
It's crazy . 

Yeah, that's very weird. That's definitely more than just the driver not being released. Is Sonar still listed as a running task after you exit? Sorry, wish I had something more for you. Good luck.

No the Sonar is not hanging around the Task manager. Well that happens to other programmes as well. 
I tried Adobe Premiere , and it's the same experience like Sonar. If I edit a video , and try to playing a sound in browser or multimedia file , or even browse on youtube , audio get stucked . Can't be released , need restart or shutdown. When I reboot , I have to turn off and then turn on the audio rack interface for windows to see the audio device properly. It's 99 % the driver itself. Needs update in windows 8.1 pro 64 bit. 
Thank you for sharing your info with me. 

- Visit my Main Site
- Visit my Label Site

Etostone
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/06 19:49:10 (permalink)
lludwick
Etostone
lludwick

Thanks lludwik , 

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I'd have to check but with the Tascam US-1641 I am almost certain the drivers are not ASIO, however I never have latency problems with them.

I will probably install the 4x4 this weekend and I will report back here on my success or lack of success.

Yes , I think Windows 7 will be more stable for the 4x4. But win 8.1 pro is really amazing performance and I don't want to re install win 7.  Anything beyond Asio doesn't work properly with 4x4. I tried the other sonar option audio drivers as well with no luck . 
Thank you very much for the weekend check out. I appreciate. 

- Visit my Main Site
- Visit my Label Site

tKx5050
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/06 20:33:40 (permalink)
Silly question, but Tascam released a new driver and firmware update for the 4x4 on 12/3/14. Have you checked that you're running these versions?

Steve

Etostone
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/06 21:20:01 (permalink)
tKx5050
Silly question, but Tascam released a new driver and firmware update for the 4x4 on 12/3/14. Have you checked that you're running these versions?

Well yes, latest drivers is a must. I have to say that Tascam is very late on getting drivers updates. Latest version is on December 2014 , previous on September.  And now we are February. 
And their support seems not good. M-Audio had better support in the past , but I am not sure for now. 
At least their could work with me to find out details for a proper windows 8.1 pro driver.

Also my windows are up to date with the updates. 

- Visit my Main Site
- Visit my Label Site

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/06 22:51:24 (permalink)
I have the us1641 and now use a Scarlett 6i6 ,
My DAW systems have no on board audio , I never install the drivers.   
I set Sonar to share drivers and I can use just about any playback app, I even open Win Amp  and Wave Lab and Sonar all at the same time. Now I even have internet on my DAW ( only when I want it) I even watch the instruction Videos on line. 

I shut off most of the Windows sounds if not all of them. This has been the way it works with both interfaces and on a bunch of different computer builds, Window 7 and 8.1. 
ASIO drivers too. 

Hey it's cool they released new drivers for the us1641 back in December. I'm going to dust the old girl off and see if it made a differance. Great hardware, bad drivers. so if the drivers are fixed that's a bonus. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Anderton
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/06 22:57:41 (permalink)
lludwick
However, I expect the new drivers for 4x4 could be at fault if they don't release after Sonar closes. 

As long as I close SONAR first, I can open windows media player, youtube, etc. and get playback.

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/06 23:04:11 (permalink)
FWIW, often it is unnecessary to enable share drivers in SONAR when using ASIO mode because most Windows apps use a different driver. The only applications I use at the same time which use ASIO are SONAR and SoundForge but it is through the Tools menu in SONAR so the driver is not being shared. All the other apps like Media Center/Player, FireFox and the like run fine without sharing because they do not use ASIO.
Etostone
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/07 11:13:27 (permalink)
Anderton
lludwick
However, I expect the new drivers for 4x4 could be at fault if they don't release after Sonar closes. 

As long as I close SONAR first, I can open windows media player, youtube, etc. and get playback.

Well , well. I have to say it's the first time I have seen something similar happen. 
I did an extremely search on the net , and found those ASIO drivers that works for all soundcards. 

It's the only Asio driver working SO good . 
And YES , now the soundcard rock the house ! (so far) 
The drivers really transform the soundcard from a waste of money to really pro and usable machine. 
It's extremely annoying to see a great company produce such lame drivers. 
Their drivers might had some use in Windows 7 , but into a new  technology win 8.1 pro , 
those drivers was just junk. 

And no I am not taking any money to advertise those new asio drivers. I never used other drivers than the manufacture before. Like with M-audio all went great ! But this time Tascam can't upkeep. 
Also the email I send to the support , just came back today with mail delivery failure!!!. 
here is their email link : 
Array@aws.teac.com
do you know if they are having another ? I would like to inform them of the situation , just to help other users maybe with a proper future driver fix , according to all the information I gathered. 

Hope this story help other people as well. I still want to see if Tascam comes with new updates that fix that issue in win 8.1 pro. 

- Visit my Main Site
- Visit my Label Site

robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/07 12:42:57 (permalink)
I ABOSLUTELY do not ever set the Windows Default Audio Device to be my audio interface.  It is always set to either the HDMI output to one of my HDTV display monitors (built-in speakers, and HDMI sends video and sound to the TV), OR I sometimes route Windows sound through the PC speaker jack in the back of the computer, then using a $5 splitter from Radio Shack that splits the left and right outputs to quarter-inch instrument cables (left and right), which I then insert as inputs to my audio interface.  (I do it the second way sometimes to use my nicer reference monitor speakers instead of the HDTV speakers).

But what is so nice about running as above, is that I NEVER EVER have any conflicts, because only Sonar, or other stand-alone music programs (Rapture, Dim Pro, Kontakt), use the ASIO drivers of the audio interface.

Super simple to implement, and never problematic - hope any of the above helps, 

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Etostone
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/07 15:46:13 (permalink)
What we see here is the problem with Tascam to uphold with the right drivers.
Their drivers are pretty awful. No good drivers no good product. 

Since this driver is solving the problem http://odeus-audio.com.au/Odeus/AsioLink
then Tascam should consider twice which programmers are making their drivers. 
I don't think I will every buy another Tascam product, until they change their programmers
and support behavior. 

- Visit my Main Site
- Visit my Label Site

lludwick
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/07 17:02:41 (permalink)
I am trying to setup the 4x4 ... for the PC windows 7 no problem for windows apps ... However for Sonar Platinum no sound. I can get it to record midi from my keyboard, but no sound coming through the ports.

Can someone who has 4x4 working successfully on Windows 7  give me a listening of the setup parms they have for the audio ... btw, when I try to us ASIO, the 4x4 don't show up as available ports only when I use WDM???

Help!!!!

Larry Ludwick

My Music on Soundclick:

Etostone
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/07 20:37:18 (permalink)
lludwick
I am trying to setup the 4x4 ... for the PC windows 7 no problem for windows apps ... However for Sonar Platinum no sound. I can get it to record midi from my keyboard, but no sound coming through the ports.

Can someone who has 4x4 working successfully on Windows 7  give me a listening of the setup parms they have for the audio ... btw, when I try to us ASIO, the 4x4 don't show up as available ports only when I use WDM???

Help!!!!

Larry I would try those drivers as mentioned. 

They are free to test and if your solution is there just need to pay 18 euros . IT's a bit tricky to configure but 
believe me those drivers make your soundcard really professional. The routing gives you fantastic possibilities. 

- Visit my Main Site
- Visit my Label Site

Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/07 21:55:36 (permalink)
Etostone
Well , well. I have to say it's the first time I have seen something similar happen. 
I did an extremely search on the net , and found those ASIO drivers that works for all soundcards. 

It's the only Asio driver working SO good . 
And YES , now the soundcard rock the house ! (so far) 

This 'driver' looks to be something like ASIO4all in that it translates a Windows WDM driver into what looks like an ASIO driver to you program.  It's not an ASIO driver for your soundcard.  Which would be surprising since I believe ASIO drivers are very interface-hardware specific.

You'd be much better off with the real ASIO driver for your card, if there is one.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
Anderton
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/07 22:29:51 (permalink)
I just don't see how the drivers are "awful." I get low latency with Windows 7 and 64-bit SONAR and reliable operation. I just don't think it's a "serious problem" if I have to quit SONAR before watching something on YouTube, or quit YouTube if I'm about to start running SONAR. To me a serious problem would be low performance or instability when using SONAR. I will say the entire system got dramatically better after removing the bogus HD Audio drivers, as detailed in my Tip of the Week thread.

I'm sure TASCAM's drivers are optimized for use with ASIO and pro audio applications, and that's how I use the US-4x4. I won't mention the names of the interfaces I've used through the years that it replaced because I'm a gentleman , but suffice it to say that what I do in my own studio has nothing to do with Gibson if I don't want it to. Of the dozen or so interfaces I have access to, the 4x4 works exceptionally well. For the record, I will say that I've also found the MBox Pro 3rd generation to be excellent, although it's FireWire so I'm trying to phase that out. I also got good results specs-wise from the Mackie Blackjack.

lludwick, I'm traveling right now but will be setting up the US-2x2 (which is what I take for my laptop) and it works identically. Once I do I'll list the various parameters and such. But bear in mind that my Windows 7 machine is basically a studio appliance for running SONAR. I turn it on, open SONAR, and don't trade off with other programs. When I'm done for the night, then I'll switch off SONAR and do the YouTube thang or the MP4 video player thing or whatever. 

I will say that one area where the Mac has it over Windows is Core Audio. Every version of Windows seems to handle audio differently and it's a travesty that with laptops and onboard audio, you almost always HAVE to use 32-bit MME to get reliable results. Contrast with the Mac, where out of the box you can aggregate Core Audio devices. You can do that with WDM, but in my experience the performance isn't as good as ASIO.

lludwick
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/07 22:45:05 (permalink)
Anderton

lludwick, I'm traveling right now but will be setting up the US-2x2 (which is what I take for my laptop) and it works identically. Once I do I'll list the various parameters and such. But bear in mind that my Windows 7 machine is basically a studio appliance for running SONAR. I turn it on, open SONAR, and don't trade off with other programs. When I'm done for the night, then I'll switch off SONAR and do the YouTube thang or the MP4 video player thing or whatever. 

I will say that one area where the Mac has it over Windows is Core Audio. Every version of Windows seems to handle audio differently and it's a travesty that with laptops and onboard audio, you almost always HAVE to use 32-bit MME to get reliable results. Contrast with the Mac, where out of the box you can aggregate Core Audio devices. You can do that with WDM, but in my experience the performance isn't as good as ASIO.

Thanks Anderton ... I always see you being most helpful.

I have been messing around with all the settings ... and I thought I had it working. I can hear the inputs from my attached audio devices (mics and keyboards), I can record midi tracks  ... I think everything is wonderful, but I go to record pure audio or the audio generated by playing a midi track to control my keyboard. Nothing records.  Weird because on the audio track I see the meters jumping, I arm the track and hit "R" and it all goes, but the recorded wav is a flat line ... pure silence.

The other gotcha is that if I try to set up ASIO drivers ... I am not offered any selections for the Tascam 4x4. A long night of frustration.  I might have to just jump back to my reliable US-1641 however, the mike inputs on the 4X4 sound so clean. I would like to use this box.

Larry Ludwick

My Music on Soundclick:

lludwick
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/07 23:16:09 (permalink)
Hmmmmmm not really flat line I see. When I look at the image of the wav, it looks completely flat, but when I play back the recorded track, I hear the sound ... wha??? ...  Then I increase my Width of the audio track so it fills the screen and I can actually see a small wave form appear. Something is out of whack between what I hear which is loud enough (are my outputs turned up too much) or is there some problem with the decibel range I am setting for the track.  The weird thing is if I use a VST such as Blade and bounce it down to an audio track.... then I have a nicely formed wav graphic although it could possibly be much louder than I have ever heard the VST play.  Almost seems as if I have to reduce my playback volume tremendously and then increase the input levels a good deal.  However the key thing is I can now seem to do all my recording functions. I just have to set the input levels on the 4x4 properly.  I seem to have switched on the phantom power and I note that with this box, the phantom power affects all inputs and not just mic inputs. Could be related to the problem.

Tomorrow will be a long day of tweaking me thinks.

BTW, I have no problem leaving Sonar and using any of the Windows applications through the interface.

Larry Ludwick

My Music on Soundclick:

Sir Les
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: Tascam US 4x4 and Sonar X3 serious problem 2015/02/08 00:00:20 (permalink)
Listen to Robert Bone...I also agree in that mindset or spirit..." Do not allow windows to use your high end audio device for default in win 7 or 8".."" or any OS if possible""...., and turn off redundant devices in bois or device manager,... if owning a older PC....To aid in Conflicting shared IRQ's or misuse of Audio/video via windows or third party apps...HDMI is a problem with some of this chaos making,...= in clicks and pops I found, and some other mouse or rodent causing on display/through video cards that have it in use...I use Ati...not sure about Nvidia cards.

Also turn off cpu parking ...and or overclocking/auto boosting features on the system, and in apps that do it for you.

Lots of old forum entries for setups of audio around the net for audio....I think someone should post a sticky on proper setups for basic use of Sonar with x machines...on the hardware forum...
but so many different setups, make that hard to perfect I guess?.

Once you make your system lean and clean...If ever possible with devices attached...As updates will sometimes change settings made...through overwriting the settings made.....It is a constant baby sitting Job to go over all settings periodically to make sure they still are as you set them...So a log or booking note  system for the system, should be kept & updated when things change....And they do here for some odd reason!.

Then the new drivers and such solution ,, in updating and seeking if problems persist....Is in seeking answers for...testing 1234....

And what is the best setup?....Still trying to find that myself....So no answers here from me, for that Just yet....if ever comes to be....I will post it...for sure!...I'm thinking some holy water might help here and there though with casting out the Jin or Gremlins from over, or in these products...some how always tainted by something, to cost us more to fix.....and I think why is already said would be if done....Perhaps?.....lol!

Regards!

Sir Les

post edited by Sir Les - 2015/02/08 00:09:33

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1