The Orchestral Shootout (the old thread)

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
rbowser
Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6518
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/18 00:33:03 (permalink)
nprime

I think I have decided that I will spread my votes out. I am going to place one vote for the one that I think sounds the most like the original, then a vote for the one that sounds the least like the original due to not using orchestral sounds, then the one that I think sounds best but was probably done with the lowest form of technology...

BTW, one of the points I would make about some of the mixes is that you can tell who knows how to mix for an orchestra and who thinks they can mix an orchestra like a rock band. Hint - orchestral percussion does not get mixed up front like rock percussion.

You do understand that your three votes all have equal value, right?  You can have your own criteria for how you want to choose the three, but all three will have equal value.  We'll count up the total votes each entry makes, nice and simple.

One thing we can hear in this variety of entries is that some people wanted to emulate the sound of an actual orchestra, and others just wanted to make a recording in a way that sounds good to them even if that approach isn't "appropriate" for orchestral recordings.  Both approaches are legitimate, IMHO.  If some people wanted to have the percussion more up front, ala pop - OK, so that's what they did.  It will bother some people if they hear mixes that wouldn't be done with an actual orchestra, and it won't matter to other people.  And neither group will be "right."

In other words, recordings which are the most "realistic," or sound closest to the original film sound track aren't necessarily the ones we'll all enjoy the most.  The "rules" for choosing what you vote for are only the rules you decide on yourself. 

Tick off three that you resonate with, for whatever reason.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rich936
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 44
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/18 08:54:39 (permalink)
I was wondering...

I have decided on two orchestrations that I like and not yet the third. Do I have to vote for all three at the same time or can I come back and add the third in a few days? I want to give the brain a chance to re-acclimatize (real word?) before listening to all these renditions again.

rbowser
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/18 10:08:55 (permalink)
rich936

I was wondering...

I have decided on two orchestrations that I like and not yet the third. Do I have to vote for all three at the same time or can I come back and add the third in a few days? I want to give the brain a chance to re-acclimatize (real word?) before listening to all these renditions again.

That's a very good question, and one I don't have the answer to. 

I would suggest you make a note of the two you're voting for, maybe the numbers of a few you like - then come in a few days to do it all in one fell voting swoop.  It could be a failed experiment to vote for one or two and not three - you could be blocked out from voting again later.  I don't know--Play it safe.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
tfkeel
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 92
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/18 10:33:24 (permalink)

There's also the interesting problem/question we have to deal with when doing a recording with software - and that's how to make a recording which sounds good as opposed to just "correct" in its seating

And, the not-so-interesting problem we have with customers who come to us because they can't afford the real orchestra, but want their record to sound like they could, and did..... I truly wish I had some who only wanted their recording to sound "good" instead of "real".   If I could only educate them to accept that software is an instrument itself, like some of them have finally accepted synths (after 3 decades of rejecting them).   One of my bluegrass customers, last year, actually chose to use a sampled acoustic bass instead of the "real" doghouse.  He recognized that it provided a cleaner and better-recorded bass than doing it "live".  It's a very tricky instrument to record well in a small room.
Thanks again, guys, for taking the time and effort on this.  All the results which come from this are going to be interesting. 

post edited by tfkeel - 2010/08/18 10:44:13

Sonar 8.5 Producer Version 8.5.3.282 - Windows XP Home Edition w/all upgrades through SP3 - Windows Vista business SP2 - PreSonus FireBox interface - M-Audio UNO - Behringer UCA202 U-control - ADK ProAudio quad-core 3.2 Ghz overclocked, 8 Gb ram - been with Cakewalk since 3.0 in 1990 ( it was MIDI only...under MS/DOS - computer was 4 MHz :) )

http://www.keelsmusic.com
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/18 11:09:45 (permalink)
I'd say if only 2 entries impress you, just vote for those two. It's a cumulative score, so voting for an entry you don't like just so you can tick 3 entries simply diminishes the weight of your other votes.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
rich936
  • Total Posts : 44
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/18 12:26:43 (permalink)
Thanks Randy and bitflipper, those are both excellent suggestions.

nprime
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2423
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/18 12:29:31 (permalink)
Hmmm...now I am asking myself what the purpose of the contest really is. Was the purpose of the exercise to create the most realistic rendering of the orchestral piece provided? If that was the goal then I cannot use my votes as I had planned, that would defeat the purpose  of the contest. In fact, I see no reason to vote for more than one if I believe that one of the attempts is truly the best. Voting for two more might have an undesirable result of putting someone else above my first choice.

If I think about that way then one vote is the way to go.

Listen

Sonar 5PE
Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
rbowser
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/18 13:10:14 (permalink)
nprime

Hmmm...now I am asking myself what the purpose of the contest really is. Was the purpose of the exercise to create the most realistic rendering of the orchestral piece provided? If that was the goal then I cannot use my votes as I had planned, that would defeat the purpose  of the contest. In fact, I see no reason to vote for more than one if I believe that one of the attempts is truly the best. Voting for two more might have an undesirable result of putting someone else above my first choice.

If I think about that way then one vote is the way to go.

Hello again, Nprime - Another very interesting post from you.  I really appreciate your participation in this.

I'm sure you've noticed that we all have our individual preferences, and our own unique perceptions of "reality."  So like everything else, this contest and its purpose is open to interpretation.

The original intent was to collect demonstrations of various libraries and synths all using the same source material so that in at least that basic sense, there would be a "level playing field" for comparison.  But since we all know there's no such thing as a "pure demo" it was acknowledged immediately that no matter what sound sources are used in the entries, a major ingredient to the sound of the results would be determined by the personality, experience and taste of the individuals making the MP3s.

The idea is for everyone hearing this collection of MP3s to get at least some idea of what different software instruments can sound like.  It's a pop-orchestral piece we're all using, this imperfect "played by ear" sequence based on the Star Trek movie theme, and so coming up with some sort of emulation of an orchestra is an implied factor.  But not everyone would agree that this means the recordings have to sound like and attempt to re-create the sound of classical recordings which use traditional seating etc. 

In other words, there are many factors, and everyone has their own preferences for what they would like to hear in these entries.

There are 72 tracks, and the vast majority of them make an attempt to be "orchestral"--whatever that happens to mean to the people who created the entries. 

To me, there are so many fun recordings in this collection, it took me days to choose 3 which I feel were especially outstanding.  If you can only nominate one worthy of notice in that whole lot, then to cast only one vote is fine, you aren't obligated to choose more than one.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
Attomik Punk
  • Total Posts : 19
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/18 19:28:50 (permalink)
Hey everyone!

(Rant coming...)

Here's my "noob" 2 cents regarding voting.  I think there are many neat recordings here, more than enough to select a favorite 3.  Why hold out on 1 or 2 entries just because you may decide to select only 1 or 2?  Why?  Because this project has turned competitive?  Or because you might not have time to select 3, not just 1?

Please make time.

I listened to each entry multiple times and took notes on what I heard, what I liked.  I took the time to pick a favorite top 20, then narrowed that down to 10, then five, then the final 3.  Each time I narrowed down the list, I listened again.  And enjoyed it each time.

I wish I could have voted for 10 entries! 

BTW- Here's the method to my madness regarding selection:  not only specific instrument sound selection, but the artistic approach to balance, clarity, dynamics.  I'm new to this (Sonar & soft synth libs) and especially orchestration so I couldn't evaluate quality based on "proper or typical instrument panning" from a realism standpoint.

And yes, I voted for myself, how could I not be a personal fan of myself!?   But I'm proud that I put mucho hours into my work and liked how it turned out...even for a noob.  Dare I even say it was competitive even??  (Tell me the truth in a couple weeks.)

But I also cast a vote for others- and appreciate them all.  Use all 3 votes and acknowledge the hard work.  Don't be lazy. 

(Rant off.)

The biggest part of this project that I'm looking forward to is the discussion that will follow in September.  I'm excited to discover more and learn, learn!

Thanks all,
~Dan
bitflipper
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/18 19:39:02 (permalink)
Thanks for taking the time to approach this systematically, Dan. Let's hope everyone is as diligent in their appraisals!

My Stuff
rbowser
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/18 20:01:38 (permalink)
Great rant, Dan "Attomik Punk" - Everything you said made 100% sense to me.  I reject the possibility that someone could find it "impossible" to choose 3 entries.  There are obviously many more excellent recordings in the list than that.  So in the interest of our Forum's community spirit, I feel it should be a pleasure for everyone who's a member here to take a little time and help one of their fellow members win some cool stuff.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
Jose7822
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10031
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/18 20:07:19 (permalink)
My only rant is that I had wished I knew it was a competition when I joined in the fun. 

I skimped on the mixing side cause Bit and Randy were waiting on my entry (which I appreciate).  But then I find out that there IS a prize (thanks Bit!!!)

Oh well, too late now. :-P

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
Cubase 6.03 x64
Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
RME FireFace 400
Frontier Design Alpha Track
Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonarHD
bitflipper
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/18 20:36:59 (permalink)
Same here, Jose. I whipped out my submissions in rapid sequence, assuming it was just a demonstration of libraries. As an organizer, I'm not eligible for the prizes, but I still kinda wish I was represented by something a bit more polished.

Oh well, we'll all learn at thing or two from this, so in that regard everybody walks away with something.

My Stuff
Jose7822
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/18 21:31:49 (permalink)
I'm sure everyone else who joined in the beginning feels the same way, so it's all good.

And you are right, we all benefit from this (I know I already did).  This was a good experience for me, for sure.

Take care and thanks again for putting this together with Randy.  It's a great idea.

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Cubase 6.03 x64
Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
RME FireFace 400

rbowser
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/18 23:24:05 (permalink)
Jose, as the guy who collected the MP3s and put the sites together, I can assure you that your entry sounds great.  I'm sure you could make it even better, but we all know that about everything we do - there's always room for improvement.  But really--yours is more than fine.

Hey and Bit--your entries are pretty good too. 

We need to get out the vote!  53 people have voted so far which is pretty good.  But we need as broad a base of voters as possible to make the results represent as large a cross section of people as possible.  And I mean one-time voters---If anyone has figured out a way around the system that's in place to block computers from voting more than once--well, that would be a big drag.  As Bit said, if that's discovered to be the case, that would be the way to have your entry eliminated.

Lots of good tips on this thread about spreading out your listening to several days - You don't need to sit and literally listen to 72 minutes of music.  Give each one a few seconds of time - you're all musicians and can make good judgment calls after a few seconds.  So help your fellow Forum members out and join in.  Thanks.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/19 01:03:20 (permalink)
Very Important Announcement.

Exactly the opposite of this thread's subject line - Polling is now Closed for the Orchestral Shootout.

ONLY TEMPORARILY - Very sorry folks, but the poll had been drastically compromised and wasn't representing the actual vote.

We'll re-group as fast as we can and have a different method posted for voting.

Thanks for your patience--And for those responsible for the polling problems----um,--watch your step.

Randy

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/19 02:06:57 (permalink)
I see the subject line now says Closed - PLEASE NOTE that this is only temporary.  The contest is going ahead and good as ever, we just need a different way of getting your votes.

You all know the old saying, how a few rotten apples can spoil the barrel?

Well, the barrel will be cleaned up and good to go again.

We invite everyone who's already been so generous with their time by pausing to listen and vote to cast those votes again when the new system is in place.  In fact, we URGE everyone who already voted (legitimately) to please vote again.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
LpMike75
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1621
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/19 02:23:31 (permalink)
Oh man, I tossed out my paper with my favorites written on them!  I think I remember 2 of the numbers. 
I don't know how one could have a online voting contest that is immune to being comprimised in some way.  Heck, people are barely honest in person, here they have the luxery of being anonymous behind their computers.  

Well if nothing else, if the 'winner' gets posted we can all listen and decide for ourselves if it was an 'honest' win.  Or..if Bitflipper show up at the next SONAR forum meeting driving a Mercedes and wearing 5 pounds of new gold chains and watches, in might be a clue something was amiss in the judging...

- Mike
Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
Jose7822
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/19 02:23:55 (permalink)
Randy,

Thanks for the compliments, and sorry to hear about the closing of the poll.

Hope you get things sorted out soon.

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Cubase 6.03 x64
Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
RME FireFace 400

Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/19 06:12:32 (permalink)
Hey Randy, any idea when we'll be able to vote again?

The reason I ask is that I'm going on holiday on Monday and won't be back in the UK until Septmber 2nd.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
bitflipper
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/19 10:16:53 (permalink)
We'll most likely be conducting the poll via email, so unless you're going to Antarctica on holiday you'll probably be able to participate. However, out intention is to resolve this as quickly as possible.

My Stuff
bitflipper
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/19 10:26:45 (permalink)
So here's the deal. The software behind the poll was flawed, allowing people to vote multiple times. One person did so accidentally and let us know about it. But at least one other person did so intentionally. I will not embarrass that individual here, but he knows who he is and we know who he is and that's enough.

The software vendor, polldaddy.com, could have provided a workaround -- for two hundred bucks. Not an option for Randy or me.

<grumble>Of course, users on any other music-related forum would have simply used their forum software to create a secure poll. But for some reason CW has elected to not make that feature available here. Sure would have been nice, though.</grumble>

Our sincere apologies to everyone who did it by the book, listened carefully to every entry and voted once. We're determined to make sure your efforts will not have been wasted, even if it means you may have to vote again.

My Stuff
yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/19 10:27:33 (permalink)
As one who has been involved (through my remixing) with many contests trying to have a fair and honest "peer voting process" I have to say that if you fellows (Randy, Bit, etc...) can come up with a model that works my hat's off to you.  In all honesty, in every single "contest" I've participated in it has turned into a wonderfully surreal cess-pool-of-wanton-craveness when voting for a winner rolls around.  No matter how the votinng is structured, someone will always filnd a way around it in order to "stuff the ballot box" for themselves or their favorite.  One of the best schemes I've seen...and it is still very flawed...is at www.indabamusic.com where they just let folks subvert the voting all they want and then just have a panel choose the winner without being bound by the popular vote at all.  Don't know what happened here but your work is cut out for you.  You might want to contact Mantis Evar at Indaba for some counsul...especially as real honest to gawd worthwhile prizes are involved.  Just my two cents.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
rbecker
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 740
Re:Polling is CLOSED for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/19 10:31:31 (permalink)
I'm guessing my vote made last night 08/18/2010 is invalid. Darn cheaters!

I only voted for one entry because I thought that entry was the best. I had two more that were tied for second (in my mind), but because I had a clear #1, I went with a single vote. Of the 70-some entries, I thought there were about ten that were really, really good, and a whole bunch that were very good. I applaud those individuals... indeed everyone who took the time and effort to make an entry... Especially "Moog Trek"!

However, I could see an argument that the prizes should go to perhaps not the lowest vote getters, but maybe the entries that fall right on the mean or median or some such thing. After all, this IS an educational exercise...What better encouragement than to say "Here's your copy of the Garritan Library...Now go for it!" 

...And another "Thanks" for setting this up, guys!

RJB -Vernon Corv 

"There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't."

My Songs
---
Sonar Platinum
HD: ST2000DM 001-1ER164 7200RPM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 Ghz
RAM:12.0 GB Memory:2 drives 1 Terabyte each
Windows 10
Video: NVIDA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/19 10:33:55 (permalink)
See we must have been typing at the same time Bit, ol pal.  Hope your only problem IS software related :-)  Good luck.  And thanks again for a great idea and contest.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
Twigman
Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3667
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/19 11:23:26 (permalink)
bitflipper

at least one other person did so intentionally. I will not embarrass that individual here, but he knows who he is and we know who he is and that's enough.

I suspect you might suspect that individual is me.
I did vote once.
I told one of my colleagues about the contest, and told him which entry i thought was mine and I have learned he voted also - he works for me and obviously wanted me to win.
We'll have had the same IP address as we sit behind the same firewall.

I did not intentionally vote twice although it may look like that to you.

There really is no way I could win, so many of the entries are better than mine - I admit I voted once for mine and a colleague also voted for mine - probably the only votes mine would get - LOL

Become a Fan on Facebook
Buy our stuff on iTunes
Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
bitflipper
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/19 11:37:42 (permalink)
Software has its bugs. Human nature has its frailties. Such is the way of the world.

I served as a judge on a mixing contest once that worked pretty well. In that case, a panel of judges selected the top 20 entries, and then let the forum participants vote on just those. That at least assured that all the entries were worthy, even though a few good ones missed the cut (one of my personal favorites did not make the cut). Voting was then restricted to forum members only, and the forum software made sure there was only one vote per person. There was underhanded lobbying, and there were still gripes and sour grapes and boorish behavior afterward. But overall, it worked out just fine and the ultimate prizewinner was one of several who deserved it.

This forum software apparently supports polling - look at the permissions list at the bottom of your screen and you'll see "Post New Poll" with a red "X" next to it. For some reason, CW has decided not to make that feature available to us, probably because the vendor charges extra for that service. Maybe this experience will help prompt them to consider turning it on for us.

My Stuff
bitflipper
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/19 11:39:00 (permalink)
I suspect you might suspect that individual is me.

No, it's not you, Twigman.

My Stuff
rbowser
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/19 11:42:49 (permalink)
+1 to Bitflipper's reply, Twigman.  As the guy who was trying to handle the poll, I assure you that you were not the problem.  Thanks for your post - goes to show what a good guy you are.  Thanks for it, but please purge yourself of any guilt and worries.

I'll be back soon with a wrap up to this that I have the need to post.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser
Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/19 11:51:36 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey, use the email link in this thread's header to send me your votes.  I'll put your email in a special folder, and I guarantee your votes will be counted.  Sorry for the hassle.

Jose, LpMike, Yorolpal, rbecker, twigman - Thanks. It's good to see some friendly, cheerful posts in the wake of this slight fiasco.

Rbecker - Thanks for spending time making your voting choices.  To have people giving the decision making process some real consideration is exactly what we need.  

I have a suggestion I'd like you to consider when we have the voting up again.

After explaining why you decided to vote for only one entry, you said, "...I thought there were about ten that were really, really good..."  I think most people would agree there are a number of really good entries. That's why we chose to give everyone 3 equally weighted votes.  It would be great when you vote again if you could go ahead and help out 3 entries which you think are especially good.  I hope you'll consider doing that, since you found so many recordings outstanding--go ahead and reward them.  No need to think in terms of choosing "The Best"- since there really isn't one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
As the guy who collected the MP3s and info texts, put up the two Shootout sites where there are still 72 pages yet to be revealed (info on synths used and technical comments), and put the poll together - I want to add a few things to what's been said already about this crummy turn of events.

Polldaddy is the service which is hooked up with Wix where the main Trek site was built.  The only protection they provide against multiple votes is to block IP addresses after they've been used once.  If the "pro" service at Polldaddy is used, it costs $200 but STILL doesn't provide any more protection against multiple votes.

I'm not aware of an online polling service which does any better than this, unfortunately.

David "Bitflipper" and I tested the poll, and we were consistently blocked from voting more than once.  We had to accept that as a sufficient test.

The problem is that though many of us have one IP address assigned to our computers, there are many people still using DSL which assigns new IP addresses "dynamically" so that a computer's address is constantly changing.  Those computers can't be blocked from returning and using a poll like this over and over.

On the first day of the poll going up, I was alert to a possible problem because several entries instantly shot way up to the top.  In a very short time these entries had between 5 and 10 votes each, while the vast majority had either no votes or 1.

It wasn't logical that a group of voters could have zeroed in so early on such a small group of MP3s so quickly.  We can all hear for ourselves that it's not as if there's a group of easily chosen hands-down winners in the group.

I kept monitoring the poll, not wanting to believe that there really was any "ballot-stuffing" going on. But then it became clear that a small percentage of participants were clicking away, artificially boosting their entries.

Then yesterday one of the contestants helped immensely by pointing out that he'd accidentally discovered that he could vote multiple times.  He ran more tests, we had an email discussion about it last night, and it became clear that my earliest suspicions were corrrect, that the voting had been compromised since hour One of the contest.  The poll had to be shut down.

It's a pain in the backside to have spent so much time and effort on this to have a few cheaters cause this problem, to have wasted everyone's time, and to cause yet more work for David and me.

If I had my druthers, I'd eliminate several entries from this contest.  But we can't do that.  One person has been proven to have voted for his entry repeatedly, but we don't have the same solid proof for other entries that also shot to the top in an impossible way. We can't single one person out.

So we'll retain all the entries when the voting starts again, but we'll do everything we can to prevent any more vote tampering.

We'll have a voting email posted ASAP both here and on the Shootout sites.

Once we're going again, would everyone please help out by boosting that up-coming voting thread.  It needs to remain in view towards the top of the front page so we can get as many people involved and voting as possible.

To all the good guys, thank you for your time spent so far on this contest, and thanks for your patience.  

To the cheaters - nice try, but I'm happy to say - No cigar, losers.

Randy B.
post edited by rbowser - 2010/08/19 11:52:51

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1