The Orchestral Shootout (the old thread)

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2010/08/16 15:39:37 (permalink)

The Orchestral Shootout (the old thread)

[Update, 18 Aug: We've had to shut down the poll due to cheating. We will be starting a new poll ASAP.]
[Update 19 Aug: Polling has resumed, but we're doing it via email this time to prevent cheating. The new thread is here.]

Go here and click on "Vote for Your Favorite".

(I know, the text says "click on the link below", but the link below takes you to the Garritan site. It's the link below that one that takes you to the poll. But I'd still encourage you to take a side-trip to our sponsor's site if you've never been there before. If nothing else you can scope out the cool prizes you might win!)

Here is an alternate link if you need it, that takes you straight to the poll. (It looks different, but it's the same poll.)

There are 71 entries (!), so it's going to be a challenge to listen to each one completely. (I've done it, so it's not impossible.) However, it is quite acceptable to listen to just a few key parts before making your decision.

I listen specifically to the opening brass, the string melody in the second section, and the percussion at the end, as well as the overall clarity and balance. Those just seem to me to be the most critical aspects, although maybe you're an oboist or something and have a different set of criteria. Use your own judgment, just be sure to listen to at least a few seconds of each entry. Tip: give each one at least 5 seconds' listen, as it takes that long to wash the taste of the previous entry out of your ears.

You can vote for 3 entries, which takes some of the pressure off for trying to pick the one "best one".

The grand prize winner will be the entry with the greatest total number of votes. First and second runners-up will receive a single Garritan library of their choice.

Winners will be announced soon after voting ends on September 1st. Details for all the entries will also be revealed at that time.

post edited by bitflipper - 2010/08/19 17:07:44

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff

92 Replies Related Threads

Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/16 15:56:04 (permalink)
    Thanks Bit, I'm going to listen to a few at a time,and leave a pencil and notepad close over the next couple of evenings, it should be a very interesting and informative exercise. Many thanks so far to you and Randy

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/16 15:58:44 (permalink)
    I have listened to them all, so it can be done.

Now I will do a second listen to about 1/3 of the entries. I think I already have my winner though.

It will be tough to decide on who 2 and 3 will be.

I almost feel as if there should have been 2 categories. Those who were going for extreme realism, and those who went completely the other way, and did not use "orchestral" instrument libraries at all, or especially those used what sounds like the TTS-1 or equivalent. I would have liked a special award for the best job with the lowest form of technology.

Most common error, IMHO, was a lack of dynamics, both on the individual instruments and in the overall production. Second, it was clear that few had a handle on the proper articulation characteristics of the individual instruments. Third, too much reverb.

It is definitely worth the time to listen through them all. Fine effort on everyone's part.

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    Twigman
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3667
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/16 15:59:09 (permalink)
    Crikey it's tough....listened to 56 so dar end to end and picking just 3 is gonna be difficult...it would be fascinating to see which library appears on which one....if it's a competition perhaps, as the playing field is not level, it might be an idea to let judges know what's been used?

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
    Twigman
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/16 16:31:00 (permalink)
    Now listened to all 71....and you know what?  I haven't got a clue which 3 to vote for!!

the one with the vibraslap made me laugh!!
    post edited by Twigman - 2010/08/16 16:36:16

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    rich936
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/16 16:51:58 (permalink)
    Well, during the past few weeks, I was able to listen to many of the first offerings in the shootout. Today I spent time listening to the rest. I sure makes you step back and analyze what you are hearing. Everyone has so many different view points on what should be heard and when. This is really tough, I will have to come back a few times to make my final decision, after all there only so much Star Trek Theme music that one can listen to at one time! 

bitflipper
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/16 17:04:06 (permalink)
    I found it helpful to start with a quick pass and jot down the obvious candidates, then go back and listen closely to just those. Even then, reducing the list to three was tough. I got it down to 6 and then finally 3, but eliminating those last 3 required resorting to real nit-picking. [NOTE: I do not know which is which, either. Only Randy knows any details about the entries.]
    post edited by bitflipper - 2010/08/16 17:05:23

My Stuff
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/16 19:24:25 (permalink)
    "...I do not know which is which, either. Only Randy knows any details about the entries..."

That's right - BWAHAhahahahahahahaha!--I hold all the secrets.  (rubs hands together with evil glee)

Thanks for getting the new thread up Bit.  And good call on how it was confusing to say "click below" but there was a hotlinked banner ad before the poll link.  I've changed the wording on that.

WE HAVE A NEW ENTRY!--

You will notice there are now 72 entries.  Someone who only heard about the contest yesterday hustled his buns to get an entry together, then had trouble getting it to my email in-box.  But today he hooked up, we're giving him a break - Take a listen.  He's at a disadvantage since there's already been a lot of voting - but at least now he's up there.

Nprime's post reminds me that I hope there is more discussion about what we're all hearing.  If we can keep feedback to generalities for now, because it wouldn't be good to directly criticize specific entries while the contest is going on.  Let's talk about it though - just be cool.  I think Nprime's remarks are a good guide--He wanted to give his reactions to the entries in general, and he didn't single out an MP3.

Twigman sed, "...it would be fascinating to see which library appears on which one....if it's a competition perhaps, as the playing field is not level, it might be an idea to let judges know what's been used..."

But the playing field Is level, and by not listing the synths used, it will stay level, see?  We need to give our honest opinions when we vote for 3 we think are especially good, based totally on what we hear, not because of the brand name associated with the instruments used.  It'll be fun later when all is revealed and we can nail for sure what was used to produce each track.

Rich--Thanks for your post--It's a sterling example of giving all of these entries a fair crack at the prizes.  Thanks for taking your voting seriously!

I've been a busy guy behind the scenes with all this - and you've only seen the tip of the iceberg.  After the voting ends, there'll be 72 more pages on the site with the info about the MP3s!

Fun stuff - Hope lots of people dive in and help us pick some winners.

And, in closing, not wanting to sound Too cornball--but I gotta say that right now, everyone who entered this thing is a winner.  It's a great collection of talent, dedication, blood sweat and tears.  Thank you contestants!

Randy B.
    post edited by rbowser - 2010/08/16 19:28:08

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/16 20:27:37 (permalink)
        Once again I am just giving Randy and Bitflipper props for putting together this fun 'contest'.  I'm sure some people have benefited from the experience of putting their entries together and used tools (Continuous Controllers) and techniques ( IE : panning reverbs, keyswitching, copying/pasting to other tracks in the percussion case etc.) they may not normally of used during their everyday fiddling around.  
        Thanks for taking the time and effort to put this together, cant wait to read the techniques that people used.
    -Mike

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    rbowser
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/16 22:13:58 (permalink)
    LpMike - It's nice to be appreciated - Thanks much for your post.  It's been a bit more work than I thought it would be at first, but isn't that usually the case?  I'm having a good time though.

I can tell you all, the voting goes well so far.  There are 60 votes, and so that's 20 people who've picked out their three faves so far.  And the votes are spread out All over the list.  Nothing close to a leader yet, but it's very early in the game. 

I'm looking forward to watching the votes rack up, and then it'll be great when everyone sees what synth goes with which MP3 and we can discuss the entries in more depth.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    bitflipper
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/16 22:50:27 (permalink)
    Yeh, I'd like to add a +1 for Randy's suggestion that we try to keep any discussion general in nature and not get too much into individual entries just yet - so as not to influence those who haven't voted yet. We will, I'm sure, fully explore the ramifications of what we've learned from all of this after the 1st of the month, when voting ceases. I know I've been taking notes and will have questions.

My Stuff
    rich936
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/16 22:57:12 (permalink)
    "blood sweat and tears"

Which one did they do?

noldar12
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1075
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/16 23:04:09 (permalink)
    Great work guys!!!  Hopefully will have the time to listen to the entries and vote sometime next week.

Jim
    rbowser
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/16 23:30:59 (permalink)
    hehe, Rich---Now that would be quite a track, wouldn't it--Blood Sweat and Tears doing a version of the Star Trek theme?  Niiice concept actuallly!

Thanks, Noldar12 - You have over 2 weeks to give them all at least a partial listen.  It's really interesting to hear the differences.  And as the guy who knows what libraries/synths were used in each entry, I can tell you it's Very interesting how very different tracks can sound even when using the same instruments.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    tfkeel
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 92
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/17 11:40:56 (permalink)
    This is a GREAT contest.  I agree, that all the contestants are winners with talent and energy.
    It's very tough to decide my favorite, I have about 8 of them which all have things I like.  It does indeed show how varied people's tastes are when it comes to music.

it's Very interesting how very different tracks can sound even when using the same instruments
    This is going to be cool.  I'm going to play a game with myself and come back in a couple of months and listen again.  I wish there was some way I could "shuffle the deck" so they would number differently.  What I'd like to see is if I pick differently.  Over the years, I go back and listen.  Some things I did sound good, maybe better than I remembered, some things, I just don't see how I could have let it go out like that  :)
    I'm anxious to see the tools used and learn something about each person who submitted.  I'd also love to read why voters picked the one they did as their favorite over the two or three "close" candidates.

post edited by tfkeel - 2010/08/17 11:48:48

Sonar 8.5 Producer Version 8.5.3.282 - Windows XP Home Edition w/all upgrades through SP3 - Windows Vista business SP2 - PreSonus FireBox interface - M-Audio UNO - Behringer UCA202 U-control - ADK ProAudio quad-core 3.2 Ghz overclocked, 8 Gb ram - been with Cakewalk since 3.0 in 1990 ( it was MIDI only...under MS/DOS - computer was 4 MHz :) )

http://www.keelsmusic.com
    Twigman
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/17 11:45:18 (permalink)
    I'm still undecided.
    I plan to listen to a lot of them again.......this time with a notebook!!

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    rbowser
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/17 15:28:51 (permalink)
    Tfkeel and Twigman - Nice posts, thanks for them.  It's great to see people getting the most out of this contest by listening to the entries so carefully.

INTERESTING EMAIL

I got a really good email from a member here.  He was explaining why he's finding it so difficult to vote:

--He has a list of criteria.  Things he's hoping to hear done well with this sequence.  For instance he'd like to hear the woodwinds enough to know they're actually in there.  Same for the glock.

--His dilemma is that even though he has a list of entries which have the best over-all production and the most professional sound, they invariably do Not meet all his criteria.  The tracks he thinks sound best don't have all the attributes he'd like to hear, while some other MP3s which don't sound as good to him Do meet his expectations in how the various parts of the orchestra are doing what he feels they should.

I think what he's struggling with is the age old issue in recordings - it's literally impossible for each individual element to be distinctly heard.  Many instruments spend a lot of time in a recording being part of the over-all texture.  You can't distinguish them individually, but you Would miss them if they weren't there.  And that's as it should be.

Listening to an orchestra live, I've often been struck by how I'll see the woodwind section working away, but I can't really hear them.  They're mostly doubling and supporting the strings - But the amalgamated sound of strings in combination with the woodwinds are making a new sound, a morphed sound if you will.

There are probably things about this sequence itself which make it difficult to produce well.  Like I feel there are too many things competing in the bass frequencies.  A more advanced arrangement would avoid problems like that.

But we all have our own criteria for judging what we think is "best" in a situation like this where we're asked to compare and choose what we feel are the most successful recordings.

AND A NOTE ABOUT THE VOTING:

I'm watching my administrator page at Polldaddy - and I can see that some people aren't choosing three entries.  That surprises me - There are 72 entries here.  It seems like anyone would be able to single out 3 or more which they find especially good.  But apparently some people aren't using all the votes they're allowed - finding only 1 or 2 worthy of notice.  Interesting!

Randy B.

post edited by rbowser - 2010/08/17 15:31:07

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/17 16:59:42 (permalink)
    Well, after my first pass thru all the entries I've narrowed it down to 23.   Good thing we have more time.  

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/17 17:10:08 (permalink)
    This is a great idea and a great contest.  And it has produced (I'm sure) a lot of great talent.  Sadly tho, I must apologize to most of the participants as I have discovered that, at least for me, 8 listenings to the Star Wars Theme is the absolute limit.  Yet I could listen to "Baby Elephant Walk" by Henry Mancini all day long.  Go figure.  Good luck to all the participants!

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    rbowser
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/17 17:19:17 (permalink)
    stevec

Well, after my first pass thru all the entries I've narrowed it down to 23.   Good thing we have more time.  

Ha! Sounds like me, Stevec.  I've heard all of these quite a few times now, since I was gathering the MP3s and setting up the two contest sites - And I still can't decide which 3 to vote for.  So many good ones, and there are actually things in all of them that I like.

Good to hear that you're taking the voting seriously and giving it some time.  With nice prizes at stake - we need more conscientious listeners like you who can help the contest out with some legitimate votes.

So--Thanks!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/17 18:20:49 (permalink)
    You're quite welcome, Randy!   You and Bit should be commended (again) for organizing this in the first place.

Regarding the entries, one of the problems I'm having is that I hear a lot similarity between many of them.  And that just makes it harder to pick.  While there were one or two that really stood out the first time through, coming up with that third pick might be the problem.  And that's assuming I actually hear them the same way on the second pass.     :)

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

bitflipper
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/17 19:35:03 (permalink)
    It's a good idea to list your finalists and then audition them in reverse order to eliminate any juxtapositional bias. (I just made that phrase up, but I like it.) Hearing a very quiet entry right after a really loud one could easily influence your evaluation.

My Stuff
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/17 20:29:56 (permalink)
    AND A NOTE ABOUT THE VOTING: I'm watching my administrator page at Polldaddy - and I can see that some people aren't choosing three entries. That surprises me - There are 72 entries here. It seems like anyone would be able to single out 3 or more which they find especially good. But apparently some people aren't using all the votes they're allowed - finding only 1 or 2 worthy of notice. Interesting!

I'm wondering if these people are just finding their submission, casting a vote for themselves then moving on.  That's the downside of handing out a "prize" that everyone is going to want.  It can bring on tactics that may muddy up the whole point of the exersize.

I've listened to all of them with my own sort of "checklist" of things I listen for and see how people treat them differently.  It certainly kept listening to 70+ entries a little less monotanous. 

Here is a neat video for a variety of reasons, maybe it could come in handy to some people to see some seating positions and also hear the ambience of a live orchestra, besides being one of the coolest songs ever! 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK9leZLItek&feature=related
    I would LOVE to get my hands on this Score so I could make my own midi files!

Speaking of seating assignments, someone posted this: http://library.thinkquest.org/22673/orchestra.html on the forums a while back and it has definately helped me, hopefully others that missed it the first time will get some benefit from it.  I find that if I score in Sibelius then import my midi files into Sonar, Sibelius does a decent job at panning the instruments already, but even that needs some tweeking.  I definately heard some entries that I thought sounded good but could of benefited from having a 'larger' sound with proper panning of instruments.   I found my 3 but could of voted for 5 atleast.

-Mike

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    rbowser
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/17 20:53:23 (permalink)
    yorolpal

This is a great idea and a great contest.  And it has produced (I'm sure) a lot of great talent.  Sadly tho, I must apologize to most of the participants as I have discovered that, at least for me, 8 listenings to the Star Wars Theme is the absolute limit.  Yet I could listen to "Baby Elephant Walk" by Henry Mancini all day long.  Go figure.  Good luck to all the participants!

Aaaah, c'mon, Yorolpal--Live up to your name and be a good ol' pal!

All you gotta do is spread your listening over several days, take a few notes, AND, even though this is kind of rough--just listen to the first 5 seconds of each entry.  You know your music, so you'll know in that time what the rest of the track is going to be like.  When you find some tracks that impress you more, then listen to that small handful all the way through, or at least major portions of them.

You gotta do that.  It's not just entertainment for you, so, sorry the theme itself isn't your cup of tea, but it's a matter of now putting in 1/100th of the time each of these folks did to put together their projects.  Big prizes are at stake - we need your vote!  Team spirit.  Forum camaraderie and all that!

--if you don't vote, I'll take back the nice things I've said about you before.  hehe.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/17 21:03:00 (permalink)
    I think I have decided that I will spread my votes out. I am going to place one vote for the one that I think sounds the most like the original, then a vote for the one that sounds the least like the original due to not using orchestral sounds, then the one that I think sounds best but was probably done with the lowest form of technology.

It strikes me that the one that I think sounds the best is probably done by someone who really doesn't need the Garritan software, since that person obviously owns a fine orchestral sample set already.

BTW, one of the points I would make about some of the mixes is that you can tell who knows how to mix for an orchestra and who thinks they can mix an orchestra like a rock band. Hint - orchestral percussion does not get mixed up front like rock percussion.

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    bitflipper
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/17 21:56:14 (permalink)
    It can bring on tactics that may muddy up the whole point of the exersize.

Sadly, that's too true. Ballot-box stuffing, for one. Knowing that, we've had to take precautions against cheating.

My Stuff
    yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/17 22:19:40 (permalink)
    Well...I'll give it the old college try Randy, ol pal. I promise.  It is weird tho that some things I can listen to ad infinitum and other things just once or twice and...that's it.  I'm sure you, yor ownself, have similar aural roadblocks.  But I'll do what I can.  Honest!

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    rbowser
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/17 22:37:40 (permalink)
    stevec

Regarding the entries, one of the problems I'm having is that I hear a lot similarity between many of them.

Yeah, I know - It's like they're all playing the same tune or something!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    rbowser
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/17 22:54:12 (permalink)
    LpMike75

It seems like anyone would be able to single out 3 or more which they find especially good. But apparently some people aren't using all the votes they're allowed.

I'm wondering if these people are just finding their submission, casting a vote for themselves then moving on. 

-Mike

Neat post, Mike - It's definitely a boon to people working on digital orchestral emulations to take a look at seating charts.  An important caveat, however, is that there are quite a few different seating arrangements.  Some are more common than others, but none are The Seating Chart.

There's also the interesting problem/question we have to deal with when doing a recording with software - and that's how to make a recording which sounds good as opposed to just "correct" in its seating.  For instance, the traditional seating of the basses way over on the right really doesn't sound very good in recordings, and I mean even in the great, very traditionally produced Angel recordings.  There's no reason to not move the basses to the center so the frequency range can be more balanced.

Your observation which I've quoted above about people who seem to be using only one vote instead of three---I hadn't even thought of that.  Maybe there are contestants only voting for themselves.  It's quite possible that you're right.  I hope not though.  I think it's fine for contestants to vote for themselves, but to not use all three votes- acknowledge the good work of their fellow musicians?

Well - I hope the voting is all done on the up-and-up.  And no "ballot stuffing" as Bitflipper referred to in a post here.  We have taken note of some activity - we're monitoring the situation.

Randy B.
    post edited by rbowser - 2010/08/17 22:56:38

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    bitflipper
    Re:Polling is Now Open for the Orchestral Shootout 2010/08/17 23:05:54 (permalink)
    There apparently has been at least one case of someone voting multiple times. Please don't do that. Not only will your votes be invalidated, but if you've voted more than once for your own submission it will be disqualified.

My Stuff
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1