The Wall, new mix 2/5

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
Janet
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8094
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/1 2011/02/03 15:55:38 (permalink)
Another new mix up as of 3:00 CST 3/3/11.  Thanks for all the great ideas, guys!

Vicente, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you.  I'm afraid I've brought the drums back up so it's no longer quiet and reflective.  I'm saving all the separate mp3 files though!  lol

JC, great idea!  I added lots more drums/guns and they're not predictable anymore.  (all this from a gal who rarely is 'for' war and can barely shoot a gun! LOL)  Anyway, thank you!  I added some harmonies to the viola, but now that I read what you wrote again, I'm pretty sure I didn't accomplish 'thickening.'  :(  I'll see if I can figure out how to do that. 

Gary, this is now #4, which is a bit more intense.  You listened to #3, with the drums lowered.  I'm glad you liked it.  Thank you!

Thank you, Mathew.  I think maybe this version has addressed your ideas, although I was about done with it when you wrote.  So I smiled.  Not sure if I fully accomplished that, but I was thinking of it! 
morenoise
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1074
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/1 2011/02/03 16:12:26 (permalink)
Hi Janet, I like the new mix and with the strings it is now a real nice soundtrack to an imagery movie. Intriguing.

Greetings, Rik
Kroneborge
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1300
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/1 2011/02/03 16:58:33 (permalink)
Really loved the new string parts, but think the artillery is a bit loud now and distracting, lol.

Course you can't please everyone.    Either way, great song.

Mathew

Hip Hop
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

Janet
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/1 2011/02/03 17:00:25 (permalink)
Thanks Rik.  Intriguing...have we used that one before?  :-) Glad you like it.

Mathew---too loud?  I need to listen to this on my big speakers.  And I'll see what the consensus is now.  Either that, or I'll put up 2-3 mixes. :-)  Anyway, thanks for checking it out again.  I really do appreciate it!  :-)
jshep0102
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 984
Re:The Wall 2011/02/03 20:15:05 (permalink)
I like this. I agree about the low end. A 50hz high pass would make it even bigger, by killing freqs that are unheard yet affecting the low end quality. HTH, Shep

SHEP-ASRock Z97 Pro4 - i7 4790K 4.0ghz - 16 GB DDR3 - Windows 10 Home - Apollo Twin USB Duo - UAD2 Duo - Digimax FS - Focal CMS50 - Raven MTi2 - Slate VMS 1 - Bluebird - Yamaha MOXF8 - Axe Fx Ultra - SPLAT 2017.2
rockinrobby
  • Total Posts : 1265
Re:The Wall 2011/02/03 20:25:18 (permalink)
I can hear the artillery now, and it's cool, but there may could be a tiny bit less of it. And who said war never solved anything? WAR SOLVES EVERYTHING!!

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:The Wall 2011/02/03 20:44:55 (permalink)
I listened to the new mix.  you already know my preference on the volume of the drum hits - I don't like them this loud, although a little between this and the last version I listened to might work.

I also think you've added too many.  I can agree with JC's "randomness" but you added a lot more to get there and I personally think it's too much.

but again - this is obviously a very split camp on them and I appear to be in the minority, so...

(I still think this is a great song...just too many and too loud drums!)

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/3 2011/02/03 20:58:10 (permalink)
Very nice Janet... laying in the hay that He made... awesome.

Thanks for sharing,

Julien
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re:The Wall 2011/02/03 21:01:14 (permalink)
WAR SOLVES EVERYTHING!!

Even the Bible says that... peace comes war, no doubt.

J
RockingChair
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 803
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/3 2011/02/03 21:02:56 (permalink)

EXCELLENT!!!!!!! Nice to see you branch out and go for it for a change!!!

You have an amazing talent with voicing your opinion through music.  And yes, I am an expert on that talent, because I listen to music.

Add some evil sounds and some voices and it would be perfect, it needs drama, more script, JMO. Maybe movie script sounds or something like that.

I'm sure someone here could help in that department, if not let me know and I'll give it a try.

I enjoyed hearing it either way!

Excellent!

Bobby

Scottytunes
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5695
Re:The Wall 2011/02/03 21:04:30 (permalink)
The additional strings makes it much more gooderer. Nice job!

String Jammer
rolifer@verizon.net
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1676
Re:The Wall 2011/02/03 21:31:13 (permalink)
Wow Janet,

There is no box with this one. I think the percussion destroyed it.

I like it.

Just wish the violin was louder!

Nicely done.

Janet
Re:The Wall 2011/02/03 22:28:03 (permalink)
Thank you, Shep!  I had the low end rolled off pretty much, but I did it a little more.  I hope it helped. 

Robby, now there's less. Thanks!

Reece, your wish is my command.  Is this better?  :-) (if not, I'll send you your own version...however you want it.)  :-)

Thank you, Julien!

Thanks Bobby.  Yeah, a choir would be nice.  I don't have any SW for that and I wanted to see if this would work with minimal instruments.  If it doesn't, well, it's been fun anyway. 

Thanks Scott.  I appreciate your help and suggestion once again!

Thanks, Ron.  Yeah, the box is gone.  :-)  I hope I can do another one like this.  We'll see.  Viola is now louder, just for you. ;-)

And all that to say, new mix up 2/3/11 at 9:30 CST.  You can't say I don't aim to please!  lol
jimmyman
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2193
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/3 2011/02/03 22:42:13 (permalink)

Janet what I see happening here is you being torn between this being a piano
piece or a soundtrack piece (that is how it is being percept'd). And knowing you as I
do I think you want it to be dominant or give the perception of mentally creating
a piece that creates a "visual" of that wall.  And as well you are "trying things"
to accomplish that.

In my estimation in order to do so you'll need more than "adding drums" to do that.
It would require several things to do so. Just adding drums or even a viola isn't
going to accomplish that. If creating a visual (just to use that as a term) you will
need (parts). That can be done with "more" things like in the production having
more "parts" doing "things" or more (instruments etc) doing more things.

Whether it's the instruments you now have playing in such a manner as to
create that, or adding more instruments. such words or terms such as "impact"
"dramatic" "ease off" "build up" "tension" "easy" etc might be an aid in your
mindset in creating that type of piece.

I think I know what you'd like to accomplish in this and applaud you for doing so.
If I'm seeing things correctly I do think it's a bit of a "new" area for you. (That is
doing something of this nature) although it might be similar in it's concept
to an "orchestrated" piece which you can already do, there is "something"
a little different about what you'd like "this" to turn out.

And I think that you are thinking of drums as a huge part in doing so. AKA
a drummer playing with an orchestra (not just a drummer) but one who
can use "that" drummer" to do (all) of the dynamic things an the orchestra
would otherwise use for that purpose.

I ran across a youtube video where a drummer was doing that and it was
just "totally" awesome. Of course that is an extreme comparison in "definitive"
terms but it does show "things possible".

I think that maybe on the subject of drums (in this case) that you might have
to (using a term) "go all the way" in the production, maybe not so much in
busy per say, but more "creation"more "things" More "things to hear".

Of course all that I'm saying is about thoughts and not critique. (And) what it
seems that you'd like to accomplish with this piece.

It's a lot of fun to see you do what you do and try things

Beagle
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/3 2011/02/03 22:44:53 (permalink)
volume's better on the drums and the strings, but there's still too many drum hits. 

Janet
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/3 2011/02/03 22:48:53 (permalink)
Jimmy, good points.  I'm not sure what I wanted it to be, but as I kept hearing 'guns' it led me in a direction...more of a visual direction.  Whether it would ever work with only 3 instruments, I don't really know.  Whether anyone else besides some of you here would ever like it, I don't know.  But yes, it's fun experimenting and seeing what's possible.  It's a shame not to use this drum program.  So, I'll just keep playing around with it and see what happens. :-)

Reece, you tell me how many drum hits you want and I'll make you your own mix.  ;-)
Beagle
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/3 2011/02/03 23:23:59 (permalink)
  that's not the point.  these are just my opinions.  I have opinions.  robby has opinions, Jimmy has opinions, ron, scotty...

this is still YOUR song and it's going to be a better chance of winning the lottery than getting all of us to agree on what's best for any given song, mix, recording, hair color, shoe size or favorite IHOP pancake!

and that's OK.  we're all different and we all like different things!

in the end you decide which pieces of advice you think are best for you and which ones you want to discard for this song.  maybe all of them!  but not none of them!

I'm just posting what I think is best for the song!  others WILL disagree with me!  I'm OK with that.  you need to be too!

of course - I know I'm the one who's RIGHT.    everybody who disagrees with me is wrong!    that's THEIR problem.

rockinrobby
  • Total Posts : 1265
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/3 2011/02/04 00:41:39 (permalink)
Reece and I are right. You're a bad girl. Now GO TO YOUR ROOM! And now playing in your studio!

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
RobertB
  • Total Posts : 11256
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/3 2011/02/04 02:09:30 (permalink)
Beagle

that's not the point.  these are just my opinions.  I have opinions.  robby has opinions, Jimmy has opinions, ron, scotty...

this is still YOUR song and it's going to be a better chance of winning the lottery than getting all of us to agree on what's best for any given song, mix, recording, hair color, shoe size or favorite IHOP pancake!

and that's OK.  we're all different and we all like different things!

in the end you decide which pieces of advice you think are best for you and which ones you want to discard for this song.  maybe all of them!  but not none of them!

I'm just posting what I think is best for the song!  others WILL disagree with me!  I'm OK with that.  you need to be too! 

On this point, I agree with Reece 100%.
It's good to know what we want to hear, but ultimately, the thing that really matters is what you want to say.

I also agree that there are too many hits on the drums. I do like what the viola part brings to the mix. Yet I still prefer the austere, but heavy, purity of the initial version. Piano and artillery? That's some duet. But it works, at least for me.
However you slice it, this is an evocative piece, and it has sparked some interesting dialog.

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
mgh
  • Total Posts : 8594
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/3 2011/02/04 06:07:55 (permalink)
hmm, well i have missed out on some debate here!

FWIW my take is that i can see what you are trying to achieve, i think i would take something from what Jimmy says; find a piece of video footage with actual warfare on it (whether real or from a film) that has artillery sound but no music, and then add your music to that...

or use the artillery/drums as an intro/outro. the music itself is excellent, one of the best tunes you have written, i love the strings.

maybe a change of title? 'the melancholy of war' or something...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
thepogue
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2458
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/3 2011/02/04 14:19:04 (permalink)
I'm late as usually so all that I can add is that this is a fantastic peice....emotionally filled.

Great job Janet!
Tap
Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4536
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/3 2011/02/04 15:08:38 (permalink)
I really enjoyed what you have done here which is a very unique combination of Thunder Drums and Piano. They portray extremely different instruments in this case ( The light and subtle piano and the thunderous drum ). You use them very effectively to illicit a specific emotion. Jimmy is right in that you seem to be struggling to present this as either a piano piece or a soundtrack. I think what Reece is alluding to is that there can be a common ground, but for this to be a piece of music as opposed to a soundtrack, you have to find a way to make these two extreme instruments work together. ( This isn't necessary in a soundtrack because the sounds would actually be supporting the images which many have already imagined as artillery fire or the like.   I think the addition of the strings is a excellent way to try to glue them together by filling out the spectrum a bit. I think I have to agree with Reece in that the drums would work best if used as a spice in your soup and use them to taste.....  They are quite powerful and effective and will stand out quite well if used sparingly. Just my two cents .... I think you've done well tackling such a challenge to make these two instruments play well together.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/3 2011/02/04 15:48:42 (permalink)
Wow...Intense!  The piano is magnificent!  I think this in a movie soundtrack would bring about a lot of emotion.  Well recorded.  I think the first drum sound is a little loud, but I am listening on ear buds!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
Janet
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/3 2011/02/05 14:32:24 (permalink)
Thanks again, Reece.  I let this one sit for a couple days and now I agree with you.  There are less hits now.  But I know you like the piece and were interested in playing along, so I was really serious...I can do it how you like it just for you.  :-)  It's extremely easy to add or delete gun shots or cannons or whatever these things are.  :-)

Thanks Bob.  I've taken out lots of the drums to make it more, well, austere, I guess.  And I like it that way now. :-) 

Mark, I thought you might like this one better than my fluffy ones.  :-)  It sure was easy to put together for some reason.  Just a tad harder getting it 'right', but I guess that's normal when you try something way different.  I've also been thinking of a different title.  I like your idea.  Anyway, thank you very much!  I've often thought about scoring a short video clip but have never gotten around to it.  And actually don't really know how to go about getting the video in Sonar, or if that's even how you do it.  Maybe some day. :-)

Thanks Tom!  You weren't late....the party was just getting started.  Thanks for stopping by. 

Thank you, Jim.  (TAP)  I appreciate your insights.  This latest mix has way less spice, which will hopefully make it better. :-)

patm300e:  Thanks so much for stopping by!  Yeah, I suppose that first drum hit could be a little loud on earbuds.  I sort of wanted it to be dramatic but maybe I overdid that one.  I'm glad you caught the emotion. :-)

Anyway, new mix up on Saturday 2/5. Thanks again, everyone.  :-)
RobertB
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/3 2011/02/05 16:02:02 (permalink)
Yeah!
Really nice balance on this one.
The piano is up front, strongly carrying the somber mood.
The artillery is reigned in some, but still quite potent.
I found myself anticipating the viola, and it kicked in right on cue.
This has the drama of the first version, with the musicality the other camp was looking for.
Only nit is that first hit is still a bit hot.
Lighten that one up just a tad, and as they say in the movies, "That's a print".

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
Janet
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/3 2011/02/05 16:04:21 (permalink)
Thanks Bob.  I'm especially glad you like this version.  :-) And I'm extremely tickled that you stopped by to listen again, too!  OK, I'll lower that first hit.  Fortunately, it's an easy fix.  :-)
RobertB
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/3 2011/02/05 16:29:28 (permalink)
This has been a great project to watch/ listen to as it developed.
And you are so right about trying new things. It seems the last 10% takes 90% of the effort.
I'm still fighting with Khyber Pass. 
This venture into the dark side is definitely one of my favorites in the Prairie Breeze catalog.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
Janet
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/3 2011/02/05 16:34:25 (permalink)
Keep fighting.  :-)
I'm sorta enjoying this 'dark side' too.  Not sure if there's any more of that in me, but I hope so. ;-)
Kroneborge
  • Total Posts : 1300
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/3 2011/02/05 16:58:58 (permalink)
"Whether anyone else besides some of you here would ever like it, I don't know."

Actually, I think most listeners will be LESS critical than a bunch of musicians and producers.   And a good song is a good song period.

This is good.  And yes the last version is just about perfect I think :)

(not only that it tempts me to buy Ivory 2, lol)

Mathew

Hip Hop
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

Janet
Re:The Wall, new mix 2/3 2011/02/05 17:08:34 (permalink)
Good point.  But if I'm gonna try to pitch this, or anything else, anywhere, they may even pickier than you guys. :-)

Ivory?  Get it!  You won't regret it.  They've got a version that's only about $169.00.  I didn't think I needed several types of grand pianos (the $369.00 version).  One good one is enough for me.  And there are several ways to tweak this one too, for different styles that are way different than how I normally play, and some very nice easy-to-use synths also.

Oh, and thank you!  :-)
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1