The reason why speaker stands are so important

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Author
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/15 18:23:22 (permalink)
Dean  there is something you may not have taken into account. As you may have gathered from this thread I have experienced a fairly serious change in sound in moving speakers off my main table, then onto a separate solid table and finally onto concrete stands. To sum up the bottom end is less coloured, smoother and sounds more extended. Bottom end transients are slightly more snappy for sure. Mids and highs are speaking differently as a result. Now this all happens at 85 db SPL and greater but the interesting thing is down very low (70 db) that same sound applies. The bass is still less coloured, smoother, extended and snappier. So of course there is less bass etc at these lower monitor levels but that quality is still very apparent. My low level sound has also changed.

I like the very low level sound on the (heavy) stands now. It seems to sound a bit better balanced or something. I was listening to a lot of material the other day at a very low level and was taken with how full range it still sounded. Sting is great. On albums like 'Brand New Day' where he is playing acoustic I noticed you can hear every note the same with no boom poking out anywhere at all at very low volume. The speakers still sound like they are sitting on something very solid even at low volume.

By the way Dean there is less transmission of sound when the speakers are on (heavy) stands. I did do some measurements before and tested certain sound levels inside and outside my studio and it is less now. I mentioned somewhere that the disturbance to our floor above has lessened noticeably.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/15 18:32:34 (permalink)
the way the cool guys did it back in college, was to hang their speakers from the ceiling, using huge macrome plant hangers.

suspend the speaker in the air.

they were brilliant guys, those fookers that were smoking all that dope all the time.

they just knew what they knew inherently.
LOL

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Jeff Evans
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/15 21:19:18 (permalink)
I have just ripped and imported some of the Sting 'Brand New Day' tracks and opened them up inside Adobe Audition etc. Interesting thing here is that when I set my system up for a K -14 db K system ref level, the Sting tracks playback mostly at that exact level. VU's are just peaking a little over 0db. Sure there are some louder parts that might go about 3 db above that but great to see such relaxed mastering and simply not chasing volume at all. This means transients are going up a full 14 db if they need. It does sound pretty snappy in parts.

Slight correction. Some tracks are higher than K -14 but there seems to be various levels all over this CD which makes it so dynamic to listen to. Some tracks and many parts of others are at K -14 but then they go higher to K -11 and even higher at times to K - 8 or so. But the range of levels is very cool too. A good 6 db. The album is just not over mastered most of the time and not overloud but does quite get loud at times.  Refreshing.

Other albums though at this setting would require the input to be pulled down by as much as 7 to 8 db meaning in those cases they are pushing average K system levels up as high as - 6db which is bloody loud but not that transient.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/12/15 21:50:04

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/18 10:48:54 (permalink)
built IN TO the speaker:

1 driver full range.

said to have remarkably detailed mid range

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/18 17:36:24 (permalink)
Filling an enclosure with rocks improves the midrange? Please elaborate!

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
The Maillard Reaction
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/18 17:43:58 (permalink)
I meant to say that supposed benefit of a single "full range" driver is that the mid range reproduction is unhampered by a crossover and is described as smooth and accurate.

I don't know what the rocks are for.

I stumbled on the photos while reading about full range drivers.

best,
mike

quantumeffect
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2771
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/18 19:38:52 (permalink)
… pro’s and con’s to any speaker design.  Certainly the single speaker design does away with phase issues.

That looks like it could be a portion of a labyrinth or possibly some sort of folded horn design, tough to say.  Assuming that they are not some sort of magic stones, I suspect the speaker builder-designer was attempting to “tune” the speaker cabinet.  In other words, shift and lower the amplitude of the resonant frequencies.

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/18 22:02:25 (permalink)
My understanding from my reading is that phase-coherence is a non-issue invented by speaker marketers, and that frequency-response anomalies around the crossover frequency are minor compared to the unavoidable distortion (frequency and IM) that a single driver suffers from. I could be wrong about that, but if I am so is every reference book I've ever read about speaker design. Just sayin'.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
The Maillard Reaction
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/18 23:29:52 (permalink)
Well, you may be curious to know that there is some enthusiasm for full range drivers and more than several choices on the hi-fi and DIY market.

I've been think about getting some Auratones or Avant tones or building some Fostex DIY as another set of cans for checking stuff on.

I'm certainly not here to present anything as cool or exciting... I just like the picture of the rocks.

I think the salient difference between rocks and sand is the size of the granule... so some how it seemed appropriate.... you can look it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand

:-)

all the best,
mike

Jeff Evans
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/18 23:39:01 (permalink)
It is interesting that Tannoy who used to be noted for their full range driver design concept have gone over to a two way system now in their monitors. (Reveal, 2.3 K crossover freq to the tweeter)  And if you look at the finest monitors out there they are usually multi drivers in fact three in some cases like the K & H series here:

http://www.neumann-kh-lin...neumann-kh/home_en.nsf

I bet the sound of each of these drivers in their respective spectrum areas would be stunning. Quested are making some nice speakers too here:

http://www.quested.com/products-v3110.html

They don't seem worried about crossover issues. Especially with great active crossover design, things should be more accurate compared to passive crossovers. But interesting reading in December SOS  there is a review of a pair of very nice high end monitors the AVI Neutron Five which uses the natural roll off of the satellites to cross over to the sub. So there is no crossover on them as such. And they are using a passive crossver inside the satellites to crossover from the bass driver to the tweeter.

The Maillard Reaction
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/19 00:13:53 (permalink)
What kind of tweeters do the Grado headphones come with?

The Maillard Reaction
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/19 00:23:06 (permalink)
just got back from the Tannoy site.

Their Prestige home hi-fi line is all still dual concentric or full range single frame design. They have a dozen or more models.

What you will see is that Tannoy does not sell a high end studio monitor, but they continue to sell very expensive hi-fi speakers.

Fostex is also very active in full range driver designs.

quantumeffect
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/19 08:08:37 (permalink)

I'm certainly not here to present anything as cool or exciting... I just like the picture of the rocks.

I’ve never seen gravel used inside of a speaker enclosure so yes, that is pretty cool.  Sand, concrete and metal shot are probably the most common for use in both speaker stands and internally to the speaker cabinet (which is more of a DIY / esoteric speaker builder thing).  Additionally, you will find that crushed garnet is used instead of sand inside of both stands and cabinets.  Lead sheet and bituminous sheet are other examples of materials speaker builders will use to “tune” their cabinets.

Their Prestige home hi-fi line is all still dual concentric or full range single frame design.

In some respects, the dual concentric is a different animal than a single speaker design.  As a side note, you should check out what people ask for / get for vintage Tannoys … especially their dual concentrics.

I could be wrong about that, but if I am so is every reference book I've ever read about speaker design. Just sayin'.

I am often conflicted.  My 1st speaker project / “Jr. year shop project” was a Klipsch folded horn design sometime around 1980 and I’ve been seriously interested in this stuff for many years … but unfortunately, speaker building, probably more so than any other aspect of audiophiledome has its share of “myth” and mis-information.  So, I go by the saying at the bottom of the poster in Mulder’s basement office “I Want To Believe”.

Mike, can you post a link to that speaker design.
post edited by quantumeffect - 2010/12/19 08:10:39

Dave

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

The Maillard Reaction
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/19 08:42:25 (permalink)
http://diyaudioprojects.c.../Fostex-FX120-ML-TQWT/

This one's even cooler:

http://diyaudioprojects.c...-DIY-Horn-Speaker-Kit/

regarding the garnet:

I was collecting garnets in stream beds in North Caroline last fall. Rock hounding is a hobby for me.

While reading about North Carolina mining history I was reminded that garnet and corundum material is popular as an industrail abrasive.

I learned that domestic corundum is mined and crushed but that corundum is also easily found in beach sand in the South Pacific.

The North Carolina miners point out that the crushed material is a better material for abrasion and polishing because the freshly broken material has sharp edges along the cleavage.

The very same mineral sourced from beach sand has soft and smooth edges that are the result of erosive wear.

This is a primary reason why different brands of sandpaper perform differently despite having the same screen size.

So, as Jonbouy mentioned above... you'll want to decide if you want sharp or smooth features when you buy your sack of garnets.

:-) :-)

BTW, I have 2 of Mr Paul Klipsch's La Scala speakers siting in the shed. I love the folded horns and the coupling of advanced acoustic theory with simple industrial technology.

fun stuff.

Oh also, I still see mention of a passive "network" on some full range single driver designs... I"m confused by that... so if anyone has some insights please share.

best regards,
mike

droddey
  • Total Posts : 5147
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/19 15:34:07 (permalink)
I don't know about that picture above, but I do know (and it's been pretty well scientifically proven) that if you put your speakers in a *rock garden*, they will sound much better. You do of course have to rake it very carefully, so as to provide optimal dispersion and dampening of sub-sonics. Some bonsai trees are very helpful as well, with the five needle pine being one of the best.
post edited by droddey - 2010/12/19 15:37:15

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
Jeff Evans
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/19 16:30:52 (permalink)
One application where is single coned driver is useful is in the small mono speaker for checking mixes on. I spend quite a bit of time listening to stuff on this speaker. It is better if it is just a single driver of some description. 3" / 4" or so. (reasonable quality, there are some active models out now) Here is the Avantobe SOS review.

http://www.soundonsound.c...s/avantonemixcubes.htm

The active concept solves the need for the amp.

http://www.avantelectroni.../Active%20MixCubes.htm

But for a passive version, it should be able to handle a reasonable amount of power too. It is better if the mono amp driving it has got some headroom as well.

The fact the extreme highs and lows are missing is a good thing. It exposes the mid register and it is good to hear a full range mix being reproduced by a single driver down at low volume. It exposes many flaws in a mix and mix problems are exaggerated on this small speaker. When things sound balanced on the small speaker they sound great on your normal monitors up louder.

It takes care of things that are panned hard left or right too. Extreme panned instruments tend to reduce in volume (depending on the panning law used) The small speaker makes you compensate by lifting those parts up a tad. On the larger monitors though you will notice they are still at the right volume in the mix and have not changed much.

I find it much easier to set vocal levels and instrumental melody levels against the music backdrop on the little speaker too. And my little speaker is not on a concrete stand! I thought that might be a bit of overkill. In fact it is good if it is real close to you and you can look at it straight on, close your eyes, revel in the mono.

quantumeffect
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/19 18:14:45 (permalink)

Oh also, I still see mention of a passive "network" on some full range single driver designs... I"m confused by that... so if anyone has some insights please share.

The holy grail of single speaker design is one that does NOT incorporate a cross-over (aka dividing network) and as far as I know, most designs that are true “full range speaker designs” do [edit] NOT use cross-overs.

Cross-overs can be used to correct issues … take a look at the design that you linked to, it includes a cross-over disguised as something called a “baffle step correction circuit” which is apparently an inductor in parallel with a resistor (in their simplest form a cross-over contains a choke (inductor) and a cap).

Also, full range drivers are sometimes designed into a system with a tweeter or sub so there is a cross-over, but I am assuming that is not what you are talking about.

Any specific example?

Edit - corrected major typo "NOT"

post edited by quantumeffect - 2010/12/20 07:41:43

Dave

The Maillard Reaction
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/19 18:27:47 (permalink)

this:

is from here:

http://diyaudioprojects.b...s-reflex-speakers.html

I don't know if the inductor and resistor is correctly called a cross over... but this is the type of stuff I was seeing and not quite understanding.

I thought it might be a hi-pass? or some how related to combating resonance in various sized cabinets?

I hadn't spent much time reading yet.

Thanks.

best regards,
mike

The Maillard Reaction
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/19 18:37:37 (permalink)
oh yeah!!!

Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/19 20:44:22 (permalink)
So, as Jonbouy mentioned above... you'll want to decide if you want sharp or smooth features when you buy your sack of garnets.

Exactly.

But we've moved on to enclosures and drivers here and not vibrational dissipation qualities so you'll need to take that into account.

On the subject of stands after listening to the superb acoustic ambience after a recent snowfall I've concluded that snow columns encased in refrigeration units is the ultimate stand material, provided we can get the refrigeration units quieter than a grain of sharp garnet.

I am to patent these and they will have 3 adjustment points, slushy, normal and powder to reflect the snow temperature and inherent granular quality of the snow crystals.

An ups is also recommended.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
quantumeffect
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/19 21:03:00 (permalink)
Major typo in my last post.

"most designs that are true “full range speaker designs” do use cross-overs."

That should have read that most do NOT use cross-overs.  At least the ones that I am aware of ... 

Dave

quantumeffect
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/19 21:41:54 (permalink)

On the subject of stands after listening to the superb acoustic ambience after a recent snowfall I've concluded that snow columns encased in refrigeration units is the ultimate stand material, provided we can get the refrigeration units quieter than a grain of sharp garnet.

I am to patent these and they will have 3 adjustment points, slushy, normal and powder to reflect the snow temperature and inherent granular quality of the snow crystals.

The exceptional acoustic qualities can probably be ascribed to the hexagonal lattice of the ice.  A patent usually requires a description of the best design so you would probably have to show optimized crystal morphology.  

Dave

Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/19 21:51:37 (permalink)
so you would probably have to show optimized crystal morphology.

Yeah, I'd anticipated that.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
The Maillard Reaction
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/20 07:23:35 (permalink)
Hi Dave,

FWIW, I knew Jon had anticipated that.  :-)

Yes, I thought there would be no use for crossovers in a full range design.

I saw one reference to the tuning circuit I posted above that suggested to me that the tuning is meant to offset a null caused by the sizing of the front baffle? I guess the idea is that as the box size changes the null caused by the reflective surface on the baffle changes and so you tune with this small network?

I may be completely mistaken... so I am asking for anyone else's help in understanding.

quantumeffect
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/20 07:37:49 (permalink)

Batsbrew

the way the cool guys did it back in college, was to hang their speakers from the ceiling, using huge macrome plant hangers.

The problem with suspending speakers goes back to the discussion about cone excursion and the use of a rigid platform to prevent movement of the speaker cabinet itself.

In audiophile circles they would call this compliant speaker mounting and the argument against it would be the classic “Doppler Distortion” argument (really, I am not making this stuff-up).

Bub

Kind of like in the old days of having your turntable hung from the ceiling on springs, it's all about controlling vibration.

I had a Dual 606 back in the 80’s … great tone arm but a primitive suspension.  I suspended a wooden platform from the ceiling of a dorm room but attached the rope to the wooden platform using (automotive) rubber bushings.  Worked great but my goal (like the suspension) was rather primitive (e.g., to keep it from skipping when somebode ran into the wall).  As a side note, I still have that turntable … and at great expense I keep it operational.

Dave

The Maillard Reaction
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/20 07:46:45 (permalink)
The last thing we did on my now deceased buddies turntable was get him a custom turned  5" think slab of phenolic for his turntable platter. Take that Mr. needle!

BTW Isn't it true that doppler distortion is noticeable at radar frequencies.

quantumeffect
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/20 07:50:44 (permalink)

droddey
Some bonsai trees are very helpful as well, with the five needle pine being one of the best.

I would have to disagree with this ... my understanding is that the five needle pine indroduces odd-ordered harmonics which can be harsh whereas the hexagonal lattice (i.e., six fingered) of the ice crystal introduces even-ordered harmonics (see Jonbouy's patent description above).

Personally, I would much rather do my mixing in an ice cave

Dave

The Maillard Reaction
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/20 07:58:35 (permalink)
plus you can eat the lettuce

marcos69
Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4950
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/20 11:03:52 (permalink)
Looks like the snow crystals already come in columns to set the speaker on.

Hanging speakers could be suspended with an opposing guy-wire type arrangement to offset cone excursion movement, wherein as soon as one cable is put into compression it's opposing cable is put under tension, like a radio tower's guy cables.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/20 18:54:06 (permalink)
rocks are gonna rattle.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1