The reason why speaker stands are so important

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
Author
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
2010/12/04 07:16:54 (permalink)

The reason why speaker stands are so important

For years I have been yearning to get my monitors (Mackie HR 824's) onto some decent solid stands. But instead I have had a variety of setups. One for a long time with the monitors directly on the same table as screen/mixer etc. And no matter how hard I have tried to decouple the monitors from the table by many means it never seems to quite do it. There is always some vibration. Another setup was the speakers on a separate shelf behind my main table but it vibrated instead. (the shelf was not on a wall but free standing on the floor and quite a solid structure)

I have always thought the bottom end was a little coloured down there and loud even. But recently I aquired a pair of concrete stands in a Greek style designed for outdoor plants. (cheap too from a used office furniture place) They are at the exact height and heavy. I mean seriously heavy. 2 person lift and hard work for them. They sit very solidly on the floor. After some organising I finally got them into action today. The sound is completely different in the low register. It is like I have bought another pair of speakers. Firstly nothing and I mean nothing else in the studio vibrates. No matter how loud and how low. The actual cabinets of the speakers themselves seem to be vibrating less. Bass is softer and smoother and more direct. Hits you a little harder. Changed the bottom end completely of the Mackies. I was expecting maybe a more subtle improvement. This is not subtle!

I know some of you are building some accurate setups. Do some tests. Feed some very low frequencies eg 40 Hz and a  little lower at high power (important because nothing really gets going until you start cranking it) and see what you can hear. Feel around all the surfaces and check for stray vibrations. This will also uncover any rattles in your control room. Are only the speakers moving air? If something else is vibrating as well, it too is generating sound and moving air. Could be in phase or out of phase with the speakers. I think it has been booming the bass in my setup a bit until now. Some notes were a bit louder than others due to resonant frequencies of various things in the room. For Mackie owners too (or any monitors that use passive radiators) feed in the same low and loud notes and check around the back of your monitor. It should be clean and smooth back there too.

This all uncovered a rattle too in my right speaker at very low notes and loud. (never heard it before) It turned out to be the wires (woofer, tweeter wires) in the back coming through from the inside of the enclosure into the back amplifier area. They found thmselves in contact with the passive radiator. Simple fix.  Also while I had it all apart I found most of the screws and bolts and things were not tight. (not loose either but all could be tightened up) You need to get into your active speakers and tighten everything up from time to time. We do give em stick so it must be natural for things to start coming undone. (I am lucky, I can produce some serious volume levels for long periods without any complaint and I do it!, well sometimes anyway)

The stands kill the speakers on the same table or work bench area by far. (even on pads etc) For anyone thinking about going speaker stands, do it, but make them heavy though. There is no vibration in the stands either as expected. I have seen some of you bolted monitors to the wall or the wall that separates control room from recording space. Do the low freq test and up loud and make sure the wall is not moving either. Unless it is brick it will be moving. No good. Your bottom end will be out of wack.

Putting the speakers on stands will seriously effect your sound and for the better. I know many of you have compact setups and this info is not so relevent but these ideas are for those of you that have the room and you need the room to do it well. The monitors need to be on stands behind your work area and the speakers still need to be a good 2 feet (or more)  from any wall as well. So you need at least 5 feet or so from the rear edge of your work table to the wall.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/12/04 07:37:18

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt

182 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 07:50:55 (permalink)
    Why do the stands have to be heavy?

On my third re-read of your post I have determined that you haven't shared any reasoning as to why the speakers sound better on stands... you've simply shared your first hand impressions and then asked us to trust your opinion that they sound better.

edited to add second sentence
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/12/04 07:58:43

Jeff Evans
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 08:05:08 (permalink)
    I suppose the idea is to try and make the stands completely inert and not move or vibrate in any way either. With a lighter stand there would be fair bit of vibration on the bottom of your monitor and if the stand was allowed to move itself then it could perhaps vibrate as well. Good question because I have not tried lighter stands.

When I was working for Roland last year doing V Studio demos at a trade show, there was a monitor stand guy just around the corner. They wanted insane amounts for their stands (like $1000 pair, I got mine for $190 for a pair)  but they were heavy. Very large hollow steel structures filled with sand so that is where I got the idea of the solid stand concept from. Not adjustable either. You had to order the height. I was not even looking for them and they were deisgned for something else obviously. But I thought the weight would be an advantage, I think I was right.

I think the reasoning why the stand concept is good is because of the lack of vibration in everything else. If nothing else is vibrating and only your speakers are the only things moving air then it must be a good thing. I remember from my old Hi Fi days that in some of the setups I was invited to listen to, and they were amazing, those purists had nothing between the speakers and you. (Bob Katz talks about this too in his mastering book) Of course we cant all do this for obvious reasons. I can hear the difference when you push your screen back so it is behind your speakers.

I am very experienced in listening tests.  After all I picked the file recently in the analog summing test that many thought was so good (you included) and yet it was really the inferior one. And the more I listen to those two examples the clearer the difference is to me especially when you start really hearing the details in there.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/12/04 08:16:31

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 08:50:32 (permalink)
    I've had my primary and secondary speakers on stands for over 30 years... I even have extra stands laying around in storage for temp setups.

I'm sold on the idea and I know a few specific technical reasons why I like it but I am not prepared to make a presentation. My primary interest is in avoiding an early reflection off of a self or desktop.

I have never seen any definitive info about the weight of stands... I am aware of many of the approaches that explore both high and lo mass solutions. I have seen loads and loads of conflicting non scientific explanations but have never been satisfied with any of the reasoning.

On another note I just received my RTA mic back from it's calibration test... so I was having fun with the RTA yesterday after I loaded the new correction file... and reminded of how small the sweet listening spot can be if you are not careful about your setup.

A small movement in speaker position or listening position will often times create a lot of change.

Anyways... it's great news to learn that you have made your situation even more pleasing to you!

best regards,
    mike

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 09:05:01 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

Just guessing here... the mass of the stands, if they are heavier, would take more energy to get them moving/vibrating with the speakers.  Like having the speakers on a wood framed floor verses a concrete floor.

The sympathetic vibration aspect makes perfect sense to me. If the speaker is on a wooden desk or a shelf, the material is light and will vibrate/radiate the sound easily.

Back when I was a kid, and had my first electric guitar, before I had an amp, I would close the bedroom door and press the headstock to the center of the hollow wood core door, and it would radiate the sound so I could actually hear the notes much better... it was kinda hard to play it like that but it did resonate the notes for me. My buddy's bass really sounded good with this method... then we finally were able to buy some amps.... and my mom made us go to the basement.

As Jeff pointed out, IF I had the room to do this I would surely do it, using the heavy stands, however, lacking the room currently, I am confined to my less than optimal set up.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/12/04 09:09:33

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 09:12:41 (permalink)
    "I am very experienced in listening tests.  After all I picked the file recently in the analog summing test that many thought was so good (you included) and yet it was really the inferior one. And the more I listen to those two examples the clearer the difference is to me especially when you start really hearing the details in there."

I want to bitterly disagree with you on this... we simply let you express your opinion and a bunch of quasi science without refute.

I preferred the second track and NEVER offered an opinion as to which was which... I still prefer the second track and simply choose to give you all the space you deserve to have your own opinion.

You can not leverage that incident into making a claim that you have good listening skills... because you are making that claim to a guy who is still wondering why anyone would prefer that dead stark and lifeless version when there was such a beautiful version to select. Hey there's no accounting for taste... so let's not self promote ourselves as self proclaimed listening experts when all we proved is that we simply have different taste.

FWIW I have analyzed both tracks on spectrum analyzers (phase, pan, frequency) and there is definitely a difference... but I don't think you have any grounds to make the conclusions you have made... they were simply speculations and the more detailed tests you suggested would be required before any conclusions might be welcome.

Furthermore, the fact that I was predisposed by my own personal opinion of preference made me more skeptical of your conclusions because I saw that I could easily have misused logic in a similar fashion to rationalize why I thought the second track sounded so beautiful... but I personally felt that doing so would be both disingenuous, illogical and self serving... so I left the field open to others... and you were the only one willing to stick their neck out and make unsubstantiated claims.

I feel you should be made aware of this before you promote your opinion of your listening skills further.

If you desire we can cut and paste this conversation over to that other thread and continue there. I found that thread valuable because I got to listen in detail in the absence of any preconception.

When skull posted the results I was able to to use what I had heard to become more informed about the subject of OTB summing. I liked the results... but I am not willing to jump to any conclusion why that is

You, on the other hand seemed to show up with a preconception and then demonstrated that you could provide rationalizations without valid reasons.

It left me scratching my head.... but I thought I'd let you have your fun as long as your were polite about it.

But now that you are bragging about your listening skills I will once again suggest that you take the Foobar ABX test and post the proof that you are listening carefully. Previously, you have explained that you do not have time for that sort of stuff.

This is all meant in friendship... sometimes the way you present stuff is annoying... and I think you deserve to know that.

all the best,
    mike

edit spelling
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/12/04 09:18:15

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 09:16:03 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

mike_mccue

Just guessing here... the mass of the stands, if they are heavier, would take more energy to get them moving/vibrating with the speakers.  Like having the speakers on a wood framed floor verses a concrete floor.

The sympathetic vibration aspect makes perfect sense to me. If the speaker is on a wooden desk or a shelf, the material is light and will vibrate/radiate the sound easily.

Back when I was a kid, and had my first electric guitar, before I had an amp, I would close the bedroom door and press the headstock to the center of the hollow wood core door, and it would radiate the sound so I could actually hear the notes much better... it was kinda hard to play it like that but it did resonate the notes for me. My buddy's bass really sounded good with this method... then we finally were able to buy some amps.... and my mom made us go to the basement.

As Jeff pointed out, IF I had the room to do this I would surely do it, using the heavy stands, however, lacking the room currently, I am confined to my less than optimal set up.

Herb, with all due respect... that is exactly the sort of quasi logic I was saying that I have encounterd since I was a kid hanging out in stereo stores. The pointy cone feet guys and the foam pad guys and the light weight non resonant stand guys all have the same sort of kinda technical stuff to say.

very best regards,
    mike

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 09:38:09 (permalink)
    Sound and energy is a matter of physics. It works according to laws that as far as we know, are non-breakable lacking  dilithium and a flux capacitor. Mass, energy, motion. 

I do know that a speaker will couple it's energy into the object upon which it rests. 

The object will as a result, be induced to vibrate as a result of the energy imparted into it by the speaker directly dependent on the amount of energy...or volume.  Change the mass of the object upon which the speaker is setting and you change the numbers in the formula..... it now takes considerably more energy to get that larger mass to start vibrating.

Everything has a resonant frequency. When that frequency is reached, a peak will occur. ( That's why my buddy's bass was louder against my door... the door had a resonant freq closer to the bass than the guitar)  When this occurs in a desk or a shelf or in my case, a cabinet in which the speaker is setting, it will affect the level of the sound in a non-natural way. The ear can not tell the difference between the direct speaker and the speaker coupled to the desk. We simply perceive the sum of the sound at that frequency to be louder, and as a result will turn down or EQ that frequency to reduce it. The resultant mix is of course, skewed from normal as a result. (could also be lower due to phase cancellation issues)

Perhaps a "scientific test" with a room mic, and conducted under controlled circumstances would prove or disprove the basis for this.  (where is Bitflipper on this?)

Until then, I would submit that IF Jeff, in his studio space believes that this has improved the low end response (tightened it up) and he now has what he considers to be a better sound.... Isn't that what matters? In his searching and experimenting, it did cause him to tighten the screws in the cabinets, and even look at the lay of his wiring to avoid all unnecessary vibration. Plus, it got us to thinking and discussing. I am always open to ideas that will hopefully improve my sound experience.

I can't tell you how many times a loose screw in a guitar cab drove me batty on stage trying to find the buzz.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 09:50:01 (permalink)
    If we are gonna start talking physics we should point out that mass and resonance are only related... there is no constant that correlates resonance to mass. Resonance is correlated to atomic and molecular structure and the mass is a factor of that but only a factor.

With regards to Jeff having improved his listening situation. I am sincerely gladdened to learn that this has happened and have mentioned it in the previous post.

all the best,
    mike

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 11:24:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting that, Jeff. It hadn't occurred to me to use plant stands! You lucked out finding some that were the right height, though.

Massive stands do in fact help low-end clarity. I wouldn't want to overstate the benefit, but it is noticeable. However, I don't think it's because less energy is conducted through the stand, but rather because the speaker enclosure is held more rigidly in place. This reduces the amount of time it takes for the woofer to settle down after the low-frequency signal that set it into motion ceases.

In other words, it reduces low-frequency ringing, which causes a blurring effect very similar to reverb. That's why people use phrases like "it tightens the bass". What they're describing is sharper definition of the leading and trailing edges of low-frequency events.

An alternate approach is to make the speaker enclosure itself more massive. If you've got the bucks, you can actually buy high-end mastering speakers whose enclosures are made out of stone!

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 14:00:09 (permalink)
    So the rigidity reduces how much movement?

Let's say there is 0.25" less movement ( I'm being incredibly generous here... assuming the comparison is to some noticeably rickety stand that's being buffeted by wind) and we are speaking about hearing an improvement in the phase coherency of a 20 foot wave length? What are we really hearing?

Decoupling speakers is about eliminating or dampening resonance... lots of highly dense materials transmit sound very effectively and can couple to another surface very effectively.

BTW. Stone speakers are considered silly by all the folks who know that 1-1/2" of MDF has proven to be more far effective.

You can easily make a wonderful xylophone or wind chime out of most igneous or metamorphic stone material (ok the sedimentary stuff may fall apart)... you can't really do that with MDF.

I've gone down all the roads... pointy feet... solid concrete... sand filled plywood pedestals... and now I use the cheap Onstage metal stands because in my opinion using them to achieve optimum placement and freedom from early reflections is the greatest benefit any stand can offer.

I'd be real curious to see how much movement my monitors exhibits on either my tubular steel stand, a solid concrete pedestal, or some of those nifty foam pads on either type of pedestal (your choice)... What would we measure the movement with? An electron microscope maybe? Or some highly accurate laser system? I'd be curious because I don't think my monitors are moving in any way that we can notice simply by looking real close.

best,
    mike

Jeff Evans
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 14:37:07 (permalink)
    I think Dave described it well in that the speaker cabinet is held firmly in place on a solid stand. Why not do the low frequency test and vibration test I mentioned. Put some sinewave low frequencies through (test all the notes around that low E as well) and feel other surfaces to see how well isolated the speakers actually are. There were speakers that were made out of concrete (cabinets of course!) for a while available (70's and 80's) and they exhibited a similar low end too. (they were round too!)

With regard to summing. The first file is better than the second period. But this does not mean that summing is bad. It only means that particular setup that Skull created in my opinion did not do anything amazing to the sound. In fact the stereo smearing and transients are not as good in Wave 2 compared to Wave 1. (Transformers don't always do great things, if that is the reason) But another summing device like the Neve for example might and I imagine could be quite different. (I did get onto a circuit for one of the Dangerous models and it was the same as Skull's setup, passive mix plus makeup gain, but no transformers though. I did say a precision preamp might give a different result)

The ABX test is not effective (in this case) I get a perfect result every time. That test is good to determine if there is even a difference between two files, there is, so it is not so relevent. I can pick one over the other easily now especially the more I listen to them as well. (Although I must check again on the speaker stands but I suspect the differences won't be in the low end)

I have been teaching for many years too and I have never been told that I present stuff in an annoying manner by anyone, far from it. If one reads and interprets information as annoying then one needs to look at ones own internal reaction to something and ask themselves why they get that reaction. No one let me express my opinion, sounds like you think you had control over that thread. These threads are public and anyone is allowed to express an opinion.

I have had a lot of experience listening and comparing and it harks back to many years ago when I was very interested in all things Hi Fi. (Still am to some degree) I suppose it has helped me be a better engineer now. I still think the stands sound great and the improvement very worthwhile.

Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 15:42:04 (permalink)
    Concrete isn't that expensive per bag. You can get column forms made out of heavy cardboard at Lowes/Home Depot ... etc and make your own to a custom height. Maybe wrap them in some carpet to make them look better and for some acoustic treatment. Maybe paint them?

I bet you could make a pair of stands for under $50.

I think this was a great idea you had Jeff and it makes total sense to me. Kind of like in the old days of having your turntable hung from the ceiling on springs, it's all about controlling vibration.

I've tried the foam pads and didn't see a difference at all. Maybe because I have a small room and my acoustics are bad to start with.

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 15:48:35 (permalink)
    there is no constant that correlates resonance to mass.

Indeed.

While not doubting any improvement in the OP's set-up there is no conclusive evidence that one material has real tangible benefits over another providing some already tried and tested de-coupling method has been employed.  Placement will always play a more significant part.

It's a bit like the arguments that rage whether one interface offers an improvement over another with the minuscule differences that exist between them when more extensive differences can be much more easily had by more obvious and often easier alterations to the listening environment.

Even then all these things can only be classed as mere differences and do not guarantee extra record sales or getting chix onto the dancefloor and if it is just for getting hi-fi buffs to agree on what constitutes a good sound or not forget about it, the dancing girls are a better and more quantifiable maxim to work toward IMO!

Lets face it one persons ideal would be an anechoic environment another's would be a disused railway tunnel.  All of the top record producers over time have become so by having a definite trade-mark sound which is gained by the addition of personality and colour not by the removal of every possible and perhaps insignificant variable.

I guess it depends whether the difference between producing music or the removal of the surface tension of a fart is more important in ones mode of operation.

That's just my view on this kind of debate FWIW.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Jeff Evans
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 18:02:50 (permalink)
    I agree Jonbouy that one can spend a lot of time chasing very small improvements and yes making music is far more important. But in my case the difference was not small, it was fairly major and since the whole bottom end has changed and I honestly feel for the better, then I think it one of those things that is well worth doing.

Moving speakers around too can be very obvious but I have moved my monitors around before but never heard a change like this.

And one does not have to get over technical about things like measuring how much a speaker cabinet or surface vibrates. A simple test with some loud low notes will quickly reveal if you have any vibrating surfaces going on. Back to the old ears and just listening (and feeling) for the differences instead of measuring.

And FYI Mike there is no vibration in the stands of any sort. Even when the speakers are putting out serious volume and low frequencies, the stands are absolutely vibration free. All the way down from right under the speaker to the floor. So there is no vibration transmission into the floor either. I think that was what Dave was talking about. Resting the speakers on a surface that is holding the speakers rigidly in place.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/12/04 18:22:30

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 18:15:51 (permalink)
    Consider the scenario where you are in a concrete and steel hi rise building... the kind that vibrates pretty much 24/7.

What happens when you put a big old concrete pillar on that? You'll get excellent transmission of the vibration right up from the floor to the speaker... cool!

You might be better off with pointy feet and a nifty carbon fiber tube structure.

Or Macrame hangers.

Just saying.

If you do make you own concrete pillars be sure to rent a vibrator so that you don't get any dead spots in one or the other structures... you wouldn't want to mess up your side to side fidelity.  It's a good idea to use some rebar.

BTW if you make your molds out of something like Red Oak you can get a real nice grain figure in the concrete surface... it almost looks real.

best,
    mike

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 18:23:00 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

I agree Jonbouy that one can spend a lot of time chasing very small improvements and yes making music is far more important. But in my case the difference was not small, it was fairly major and since the whole bottom end has changed and I honestly feel for the better, then I think it one of those things that is well worth doing.

Moving speakers around too can be very obvious but I have moved my monitors around before but never heard a change like this.

And one does not have to get over technical about things like measuring how much a speaker cabinet or surface vibrates. A simple test with some loud low notes will quickly reveal if you have any vibrating surfaces going on. Back to the old ears and just listening (and feeling) for the differences instead of measuring.

And to think you were doing all that serious listening just last week. :-)

I can assure you that my light weight tubular steel stands do not buzz... I am just also doubting that they move... and since I can not hear nor see any buzz or movement I am suggesting we measure it with something suitable.

Jeff, moving your speakers away from any surface makes huge difference in both perceived amplitude and frequency balance... so it's easy to figure out that if you just now got your speakers off your desk or floor or shelf or wall that you just experienced a huge difference in both factors.

It's a big jump to conclude that the concrete made the difference.

Do you ever break out a RTA or do you just rely on the golden ears?

best regards,
    mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/12/04 18:24:09

Jeff Evans
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 18:49:45 (permalink)
    To clarify, my speakers have not been on my table for a long time now, they were mounted on what I thought was a fairly solid structure just behind my main work table. They have not changed their position in any way in relation to my table any wall or surface. All that has happened is the stands have been replaced. And the difference is huge so therefore the heavy stands make a real difference. (but Mike different stands may have yielded a similar result) No need to do any technical tests to realise that. Except good point, I might do some RTA stuff. I do have a great RTA but I will need to get hold of a decent reference or measurement mike. But I have done some RTA tests before and I got a very flat low end so there is a case where the measurement may not mean much. I did not go out looking for heavy stands I can assure you. It was just that they were the right height and heavy (and cheap) and perfect etc so I thought heavy is probably OK. They took quite an effort to get them home!

Take poweramps for example. Many years ago during my heyday of AB testing we encountered this. Take two poweramps that have a totally flat response from 10 Hz to say 50 KHz. Yet one was clearly brighter than the other. (not huge but definately top end was different from one to the other) Why is that? Now this could be very hard to measure and yet the difference was obvious to all of us at the time. The transistor amps tended to be brighter, the one that was perfect was the class A valve amp we were using at the time as a reference. Except the Carver solid state amp had the closest sound to the valve amp. (they are very sweet) There is something nice going on inside Carver amps but they are no longer.

Sometimes our ears are just best and sometimes measurements are great too. I think you need both. I would never buy anything based purely on specs on paper though, that is dangerous.

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 18:59:08 (permalink)
    "heyday of AB testing"

:-)

I keep advocating for ABX testing... been down the AB testing road... I figured out I was crazy or at least unpredictable.

My interest in Buddhist philosophy undermines any confidence I might have in a AB test.

best regards,
    mike

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 19:06:49 (permalink)
    "I would never buy anything based purely on specs on paper though, that is dangerous."

Your safe... it's practically impossible to get any specs worth considering :-)

"Sometimes our ears are just best and sometimes measurements are great too."

Yes my friend, now you have me thinking about all the Jensen transformers I have stuffed in my rack. Heck the John Hardy has 8 just in that little 1u box ;-)

all the best,
    mike

Jeff Evans
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 19:17:37 (permalink)
    Mike I would be keen to hear the results of you doing some loud low freq sine wave tests in your setup. Feel the monitor itself, feel the bottom of the stand where the monitor is resting, feel the stand itself, feel the floor area near the base of the stand etc.  Feel other surfaces and table tops etc...

If you get no vibrations at all then I agree that lighter stands can do the job. But on the other hand if you feel anything anywhere (because I don't) then the heavy stands are the go.

Time to stop the discussion and go away and do some tests and come back with some results.

Those Jensen transformers are probaly all right in certain situations but not over a whole mix in the case of the DAKING mic pres though, unless it was other factors, and that is hard to tell. But remember, all transformers colour the sound.  They are not really neutral or transparent. They add a retro vibe to any signal passing through them. Do we always need that?
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/12/04 19:27:07

droddey
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 20:08:08 (permalink)
    I think that one source of confusion people have is that, when the monitors are on the desk itself, they FEEL the vibration. That is sensed as part of the bass response indirectly. The stands may be vibrating just as much, even if they are quite solid, but you don't feel that in your arms and possibly your legs or stomach or whatever else is in contact with the desk. So it changes your sense of the bass response of the speakers. And of course if there are certain resonances in your desk itself, that will also contribute even if you aren't touching it. It will re-radiate sound itself. The stands may vibrate just as much but have no particularly problematic resonances, even if they aren't super heavy.

The other is that pretty inevitably the speakers will be further away from you if on stands, since they have to be behind the desk, not on top of it. That will both change the bass response and the overall sound of the speaker just as making a non-trivial move of the speakers would even if you left them on the desk. And they will likely be considerably closer to the rear wall as well.

So it will be VERY difficult to do any experiment that really decouples the effects of the stands from the other likely much larger effects. Certainly getting them onto something that has no resonance at any important bass frequences could be considered a good thing in general, but hard to say if it really helps in any given situation. The potential negative side effects of changes in position might undo or surpass any benefits gained.
    post edited by droddey - 2010/12/04 20:09:30

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 21:06:05 (permalink)
    The heavier something is the less vibration it will transmit.  The more the mass, the more dampening occurrs. At my manufacturing company we buy very expensive machines with a lot of working units on them.  Vibrations from one working unit can affect the peformance of another working unit.  They have different priced models you can buy and the more expensive the machine the heavier it is - to dampen out the vibrations.

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 21:06:37 (permalink)
    Let's say there is 0.25" less movement ( I'm being incredibly generous here... assuming the comparison is to some noticeably rickety stand that's being buffeted by wind) and we are speaking about hearing an improvement in the phase coherency of a 20 foot wave length? What are we really hearing?

There won't be anywhere near 0.25" less movement (your woofer may not even move that far in normal operation anyway), but that's not the point. Nor is the movement's relationship to wavelength relevant. It's not about phase coherency, either. It's about the speaker's ability to stop moving when the signal stops.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    jhughs
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1179
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 21:39:19 (permalink)
    Ok, I'm a pygmy among giants, and I'm walking into a mine field, but the "heavier something is the less vibration it will transmit" struck me as flat out too simplistic.

Anyway, my question is, without having tried it, isn't putting those (lightweight) foam pads under the monitors adequate to prevent vibrations passing from the monitor cabinet to supporting structure(s)?

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 21:47:45 (permalink)
    there is no constant that correlates resonance to mass

If you're talking about natural frequency, then yes, there is a constant. That constant is 'k', the stiffness.

(omega n)^2 = k/m

That is, the natural frequency of any object is governed entirely by two variables, the stiffness and mass. If you increase the stiffness (think guitar string) the natural frequency increases. If you increase the mass, the natural frequency decreases. This stuff gets quite detailed. It's 2nd and 3rd year university mechanical engineering stuff.

The sole purpose for increasing the mass is to lower the fundamental frequency. Make it heavy enough and you will be getting a fundamental frequency of 1hz. You're gonna get second order harmonic resonance at 2hz, also 3rd order at 4 hz, 8 hz, 16hz, and by now, the resonance is getting pretty darn small, and you have not even reached the magic 40hz bass note yet.

Let's run some examples. You have a stand with a natural frequency of 40hz. If you 'force' it with an applied force of 40hz with an amplitude of 1, you might get a resonance of amplitude 2 - because of the natural frequency. If you force it at 80hz, you might still get a 1.8amplitude in the 40hz and maybe a 1.9 in the 80hz (these numbers are VERY approximate). Now if you force it with a frequency of 60Hz, you'll probably get a resonance of nearly 0. Hence it always wants to resonate around that 40Hz spot and it's harmonics. If it's a desk we're talking about, you know what the results are. As I mentioned before, you make it REALLY REALLY heavy - you lower the natural frequency enough so that for the music you are working with, it doesn't resonate. There is just too much mass in the concrete. You hit it with a vibration at 40 hz, it will take a HUGE amount of energy to shake it at that speed. You try getting a conrete slab and moving it back and forward as fast as you can. Now, can your 'little' 500W monitors move it as slow as your hands were able to?

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 22:00:41 (permalink)
    guitartrek

The heavier something is the less vibration it will transmit.  The more the mass, the more dampening occurrs. At my manufacturing company we buy very expensive machines with a lot of working units on them.  Vibrations from one working unit can affect the peformance of another working unit.  They have different priced models you can buy and the more expensive the machine the heavier it is - to dampen out the vibrations.

Nah mate, that's not correct. Dampeners (such as fluid dampeners in your car) cause dampening. It's a whole different story. You got simply the natural frequency of a system, which is made up of the mass and stiffness of the system, and then you have the DAMPED natural frequency, which is the frequency that it actually resonates at. You have:

undamped - the object will resonate at its natural frequency FOREVER - only theoretical, not possible due to friction
    underdamped - such as an old car where the dampeners are gone. It goes over a bump and then keeps bouncing for ages
    critically damped - ideal for a car or speaker cone. It WILL resonate, however will return to a stationary position as fast as possible. ie the car will stop moving after that bump as fast as is possible for the mass of the car and with no other external forces slowing it down. You want your speaker cone to stop vibrating ASAP after your kick pedal
    overdamped - it does NOT oscillate. But because there is so much gunk in the system, it very slowly returns back to its starting point.

These are all controlled by dampening in the system - which is basically friction. In the first case, there is ZERO friction, second case there is a little bit, third case is often ideal with a perfect balance of friction and last case there is a lot of friction. Please note that although all 4 cases have the same natural frequency, the DAMPED frequency (which it actuall resonates) will be different for the last three - but not by very much.

The reason your company buys heavier systems is for the exact reason heavy speaker stands work well - to lower the natural frequency of the stand/frame so that it is considerably lower than the oscillating sources which are forcing it. Further damping will help to reduce vibrations as well. You may also achieve the desired results with a light structure and a high natural frequency (which would normally be bad) but introduce high dampening devices into the system so that movement is ultimatelly very limited. But it's usually easier to just make it heavy.
    post edited by mattplaysguitar - 2010/12/04 22:06:50

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 22:08:24 (permalink)
    "It's about the speaker's ability to stop moving when the signal stops."

And we both know what the coil is for.  :-) The magnet could care less if the whole driver assembly is moving 120 miles an hour in a bullet train... or my Honda mini van :-).

You must be speaking of some pretty dog eared cheap junky speakers if you think the motor cares about the inertia of the driver frame.

"The heavier something is the less vibration it will transmit.
    "

This statement is only true when it is qualified for a specific material and a specified frequency...

Take for example a several ton steel railroad track... have you ever put your ear near one?

Here's another example; How much does the liberty bell weigh? What would happen if you made it bigger and heavier?

Here's another example; Why are metal xylophones louder than wooden xylophones?

Here's another example; How is it that those big expensive heavy wind chimes (the cool 5 footers that are tuned to chords) make such a loud noise? I can't do that with PVC or a cardboard tube?

Here's another example; Have you ever stood atop a large concrete bridge as traffics rolls across? You can feel the bridge resonate at a specific frequency... just fluttering up and down. It's eerie. An example that gives me the creepy crawlies is the occasions we pull over on the Sunshine Skyway bridge in St. Petersburg Florida and take photographs from the center span. It's hard not to become convinced the whole things is going to fall down.

Jeff Evans
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 22:16:34 (permalink)
    jhughs while I had my monitors on the same table as the gear, I did try all sorts of things there including MoPads etc. Maybe the recoil pads might be better. But  things were still vibrating when they should have not. (only with the MoPads, have not tried the Recoils) I don't want the speakers that close anyway, I prefer them a little back. For me nothing compares to the speakers on the stands now. I think the Recoil stabilisers are meant to be better but they are costly.

See here:

http://www.frontendaudio....c-RX9-p/9999-05575.htm

Ordinary foam does not work well at all. It virtually does nothing.

I like what Dave is saying too. I have noticed that kick drums sound better and do not ring on so much when the signal stops. Tighter. Steely Dan  is a good test for kick drums. (Only the latest CD's as well not so much the vinyl. The last two albums sound amazing) Great all round speaker testing music too. Steely Dan  has got everything. Fantastic mixes, vocals, all instruments etc...The CD releases are much snappier than any previous vinyl releases. Although the vinyl sounds great too mostly. The ability for the cone to stop sooner has been effected by the stands as well no doubt. The stands have not suddenly done something to the cone or coil, it would have been stopping correctly all the time. It is the cabinet that keeps going and it is the cabinet resonances that have changed now.

You can quote theories all you want but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I am hearing three things mainly. Smoother bass, (less coloured for sure) lower in level or probably at the right level now and tightness or snap. I was just listening to some solo piano music and it too also sounded better and more natural.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/12/04 22:30:07

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:The reason why speaker stands are so important 2010/12/04 22:17:20 (permalink)
    mattplaysguitar

there is no constant that correlates resonance to mass

If you're talking about natural frequency, then yes, there is a constant. That constant is 'k', the stiffness.

(omega n)^2 = k/m

That is, the natural frequency of any object is governed entirely by two variables, the stiffness and mass. If you increase the stiffness (think guitar string) the natural frequency increases. If you increase the mass, the natural frequency decreases. This stuff gets quite detailed. It's 2nd and 3rd year university mechanical engineering stuff.

The sole purpose for increasing the mass is to lower the fundamental frequency. Make it heavy enough and you will be getting a fundamental frequency of 1hz. You're gonna get second order harmonic resonance at 2hz, also 3rd order at 4 hz, 8 hz, 16hz, and by now, the resonance is getting pretty darn small, and you have not even reached the magic 40hz bass note yet.

Let's run some examples. You have a stand with a natural frequency of 40hz. If you 'force' it with an applied force of 40hz with an amplitude of 1, you might get a resonance of amplitude 2 - because of the natural frequency. If you force it at 80hz, you might still get a 1.8amplitude in the 40hz and maybe a 1.9 in the 80hz (these numbers are VERY approximate). Now if you force it with a frequency of 60Hz, you'll probably get a resonance of nearly 0. Hence it always wants to resonate around that 40Hz spot and it's harmonics. If it's a desk we're talking about, you know what the results are. As I mentioned before, you make it REALLY REALLY heavy - you lower the natural frequency enough so that for the music you are working with, it doesn't resonate. There is just too much mass in the concrete. You hit it with a vibration at 40 hz, it will take a HUGE amount of energy to shake it at that speed. You try getting a conrete slab and moving it back and forward as fast as you can. Now, can your 'little' 500W monitors move it as slow as your hands were able to?

Matt,
      Perhaps you can touch on how resonance also relates to Modulus of Elasticity and how most metal and many matrixed materials have a general resonant characteristic that is specific to that actual material rather than simply a general constant describing stiffness?

I'm not prepared to provide a proper explanation... and don't want to make stuff up. Perhaps you can do a better job.

This is a good start:

http://books.google.com/b...0resonance&f=false

best regards,
    mike

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1