This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 9
Author
Freddie H
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 18:28:03 (permalink)
You users that don’t care about VST3 should be glad that WE users that actually care and understand about it, automatically looking out of your interest. Even though you don’t understand the big problems or the fuss about it today you will very soon next year 2013 notice what we all facing if SONAR don’t adapt very soon to this “Standard”. 

Time will tell!

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 18:30:36 (permalink)
Scott Lee

VST3 is a mandatory component for Melodyne's integration api. Having melodyne integration within Sonar Xx does seem like a sought after feature many would like to see. VST3 does give the end user more options plugin / hardware wise. The question is how much? NAMM will be interesting this year I believe to sort out some of the misconceptions of industry standards. For me personally, I get more functionality out of my Access Virus TI via VST3. Not a game changer in any regards, but options nonetheless. 

Ok all you Melodyne people...did you read this?  Read it TWICE!!!

Blogman
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 481
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 18:35:46 (permalink)
Auto-tune live from Antares is out now and is 64 bit and ONLY available as VST 3. Waves surround sound plugins are unusable without the VST3 versions. Waves Morphoder also needs VST3. Vienna Ensemble 5/MIR Pro needs VST 3 to utilize more than 16 channels per instance without inserting event inputs. Just because you all aren't using these high end plugins doesn't mean that it's not important to us PROFESSIONALS!!! We've been discussing VST3 importance for quite sometime now. Utterly disappointing that Cakewalk didn't look at the competition and 3rd party plug in companies and listen to the cries of the LONG LONG LONG LONG time customers. Epic Fail on Cake's part. Of course fixing Fastbouncing of timecode plugins in X1 d wasn't a high priority either. Apparantly, not enough people cared that they couldn't fastbounce alot of their plugins either (when polled that is).
Freddie H
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 18:36:20 (permalink)
firefly9000

NEW VST 3 Features - from steinberg site.

Improved performance

Managing large plug-in sets and multiple virtual instruments on typical studio computer systems can often be difficult because of CPU performance limits. VST3 helps to improve overall performance by applying processing to plug-ins only when audio signals are present on their respective inputs. Instead of always processing input signals, VST3 plug-ins can apply their processing economically and only when it is needed. Multiple dynamic I/Os

VST3 plug-ins are no longer limited to a fixed number of inputs and outputs. Their I/O configuration can dynamically adapt to the channel configuration they’re inserted in, meaning that any VST3 plug-in can be surround-capable with true multi-channel processing. For example, all the new VST3 plug-ins in Nuendo 4 can work in stereo-mode when inserted into a stereo channel, but switch to 6 channels when inserted into a 5.1 channel. Each audio channel is processed independently. Interaction between channels depends on the type and design of the plug-in. In addition to their flexible audio bussing capabilities, VST3 plug-ins may also offer a dedicated event bus. Typically, this is a MIDI input for control/modulation but these busses are no longer restricted to MIDI standard only. Future plug-ins may replace the common MIDI interface with alternative methods of control. Activating/deactivating busses

A typical issue with current virtual instruments is their audio output bussing system and how they’re connected to the mixer after loading. Especially virtual samplers with multiple outputs often occupy more mixer channels than need. The VST3 interface offers the possibility to deactivate unused busses after loading and even reactivate those when needed. This cleans up the mixer and further helps to reduce CPU load. Resizable edit windows

VST3 introduces a new approach to plug-in GUIs though window resizing, allowing for extremely flexible use of valuable screen space. Sample-accurate automation

VST3 also features vastly improved parameter automation with sample accuracy and support for ‘ramped’ automation data, allowing completely accurate and rapid parameter automation changes. Logical parameter organization

The plug-in parameters are displayed in a tree structure. Parameters are grouped into sections which represent the structure of the plug-in. Parameters like “Cutoff” and “Resonance” could be grouped into a section called “Filter”. This makes searching for a certain parameters easier, such as on an automation track. This also allows assigning a group of parameters to a specific MIDI Channel input and audio output bus. Optional VST3/SKI combination

As a direct result of the modular interface design of VST3, the Steinberg Kernel Interface (SKI) can be combined with VST3 plug-ins. SKI is an additional SDK that allows extremely close integration of a plug-in with a Steinberg host application, and allows functions to be carried out almost from within the application. This extends to the ability to create tracks, copy, cut, paste or process events in the Steinberg host application. SKI is provided to selected industry partners upon request. VSTXML for remote controllers

Remote controllers for audio and MIDI software applications have become increasingly popular. With VSTXML, VST3 offers far more flexible control of VST plug-ins by remote controllers. Using the knobs and faders on the control surface, parameters can be recorded, renamed and edited in many ways. Parameters that cannot be edited can be routed for display purposes to the control surface, for example to show Gain Reduction on compressor. UTF16 for localized parameter naming

In VST3, all strings that can be displayed to the user are in Unicode (UTF16) format. Usage of this universal character base allows the host application to display characters in localized languages. No MIDI restriction for parameter value transfers

VST3 has a dedicated interface for event handling that carries a much wider range of functionality than standard MIDI events would be able to provide. This opens up a big range of opportunities for musical use cases with very high potential for innovative product design. For example with VST3 some controller events (for example, pitch) can be referred to a note event (using a note unique ID). This offers the possibility to e.g. modulate only a single note which itself is part of a chord. Audio inputs for VST instruments

The VST3 interface expands VST instruments by adding the ability to create audio input busses. As a result, audio data can be routed to an VST3 instrument. A synthesizer which has a built-in e.g. vocoder effect is able to process audio data coming in from other sources as well. Multiple MIDI inputs/outputs

Unlike with VST 2.x,, a VST3 plug-in can have more than only one MIDI input or one MIDI output at the same time. 64-bit processing

VST3 plug-ins are generally able to process audio data in 64-bit.

Seem to me that are many more benefits with VST 3.0 then VST 2.4.  I perfectly understand why 3part manufactures sees support VST 2.4. Why should they, everyone has VST 3.0 support in their DAW.... already……………………………………………………………..........................except for SONAR.
post edited by Freddie H - 2012/09/06 18:42:57

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
WDI
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2069
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 18:37:41 (permalink)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk
]

If vst3 does not consume CPU when no signal present that's really smart. I know another DAW that lets you automate bypass of effects to eliminate unnecessary CPU consumption. That always made sense to me. If in fact that's how Vst3 functions automatically that would seem like number 1 priority in any DAW.

All cakewalk products have had this functionality since the 90's. Our DX sdk had an IDeferZeroFill interface that Ron thought of way back then. If anything I think this capability in VST3 came from there :) Additionally SONAR has always optimized to not stream through plugins that do not have an active audio stream. Only channels that have audio or are input monitored or have a synth feed actually pass through audio to plugins. That has been done from day one so its most certainly not something new you will get.
Really? Because if I drop a plugin in the effects bin that uses 50% of CPU the CPU indicator immediately shows an increase of 50% whether there is any audio on the track or not. Been like this on all version of Cakewalk products I've used.

Perhaps I misunderstood this...
New VST3 features Improved performance Managing large plug-in sets and multiple virtual instruments on typical studio computer systems can often be difficult because of CPU performance limits. VST3 helps to improve overall performance by applying processing to plug-ins only when audio signals are present on their respective inputs. Instead of always processing input signals, VST3 plug-ins can apply their processing economically and only when it is needed. 

Regardless, this would be a really smart feature. SAW Studio allows for automating this. Whether it introduces problems I don't know.

Sonar 7 PE
Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
MSI K8N Neo4-F
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2 GB PC 3200 Ram
RME Fireface 800
Edirol FA-66
CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
Freddie H
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 18:38:44 (permalink)
Blogman

Auto-tune live from Antares is out now and is 64 bit and ONLY available as VST 3. Waves surround sound plugins are unusable without the VST3 versions. Waves Morphoder also needs VST3. Vienna Ensemble 5/MIR Pro needs VST 3 to utilize more than 16 channels per instance without inserting event inputs. Just because you all aren't using these high end plugins doesn't mean that it's not important to us PROFESSIONALS!!! We've been discussing VST3 importance for quite sometime now. Utterly disappointing that Cakewalk didn't look at the competition and 3rd party plug in companies and listen to the cries of the LONG LONG LONG LONG time customers. Epic Fail on Cake's part. Of course fixing Fastbouncing of timecode plugins in X1 d wasn't a high priority either. Apparantly, not enough people cared that they couldn't fastbounce alot of their plugins either (when polled that is).

Hear hear!

alexoosthoek
Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5238
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 18:44:33 (permalink)
Can we all just lighten up a bit pls, you don't need VST 3 to live?

Have some fun pls

The CHB
Some Live Demo's

Various ADK computers   and some thingy's
Have fun!
Blogman
  • Total Posts : 481
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 18:58:38 (permalink)
We don't need music to live either, but imagine a world without it. Besides, it's not about living, it's about making a living. If my studio is asked to mix a surround sound mix I can't use my Waves surround plugins without VST3, so I'm not able to make as good a living. I'm not about being mediocre. Want to stay competitive.
firefly9000
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 87
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 19:03:41 (permalink)
alexoosthoek - I think the reason this unsettles people so much is because the same company that looked to the future and brought 64 bit processing way before the rest of the crowd, now seems to have lost that ability of foreshadowing things. A lot of people found that attractive about Cake (me included). There are plenty of behemoths (like ProT) that trudge along and sort of stumble into the future instead of being one up on it.

I do want to give props to Cake though for always working on optimizing the workflow. I saw the new X2 vid and there is a lot of cool stuff... But the VsT3 position that they take baffles me.
post edited by firefly9000 - 2012/09/06 19:12:07
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 19:07:08 (permalink)
Did they invent surround after VST3? No "Pro" compressors sidechain in Sonar? More expensive to adopt VST3 down the road? 

Hells Bells, what are you guys drinking and where can I get a case of it?
post edited by backwoods - 2012/09/06 19:14:36
alexoosthoek
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 19:11:01 (permalink)
Blogman

We don't need music to live either, but imagine a world without it. Besides, it's not about living, it's about making a living. If my studio is asked to mix a surround sound mix I can't use my Waves surround plugins without VST3, so I'm not able to make as good a living. I'm not about being mediocre. Want to stay competitive.

Ok, I see your point here.

Just a question, how did you use the Waves surround plugins before?

The CHB
Some Live Demo's

Have fun!
firefly9000
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 19:17:58 (permalink)
backwoods - The point is working how YOU want to work... Sure, there are workarounds and ways to compromise. It's kinda like being back in the 1900's and saying "yeah, I don't need your fancy shmancy automobile, I can get to town on my horsey just fine - this whole automobile thing is just a fad anyways" :)

Oh yeah - I'm drinking cherry coke zero - crap, hate to disappoint ya
JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 19:20:28 (permalink)
Well - while I agree it would be nice if Sonar should have VST3 now, we must accept the fact it will take some more time before it arrives. Do not forget -just like it is been said- just adapting VST3 parameters is not enough. If you want all the new VST3 stuff actually getting to work in Sonar, the core engine of Sonar needs a complete rewrite (and possibly a big part of the interface also). This is not a task none in a few months I am afraid.

I think VST3 will come to Sonar, but not in the short term.

Altough I understand people want to have this addition, for me (and this is strictly personal) it is more important the next incarnation (X2) of Sonar will become stable and as bugfree as possible. Changing core parts of Sonar to add VST3 can only been done after this stability is achieved, otherwise there is a big chance adding VST3 will become a huge bugfest.

Just my 2 cents..
alexoosthoek
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 19:30:21 (permalink)
firefly9000

alexoosthoek - I think the reason this unsettles people so much is because the same company that looked to the future and brought 64 bit processing way before the rest of the crowd, now seems to have lost that ability of foreshadowing things. A lot of people found that attractive about Cake (me included). There are plenty of behemoths (like ProT) that trudge along and sort of stumble into the future instead of being one up on it.

I do want to give props to Cake though for always working on optimizing the workflow. I saw the new X2 vid and there is a lot of cool stuff... But the VsT3 position that they take baffles me.

Cake can only do so much in , what,  1 1/2 year time?

The CHB
Some Live Demo's

Have fun!
firefly9000
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 19:30:35 (permalink)
JClosed

If you want all the new VST3 stuff actually getting to work in Sonar, the core engine of Sonar needs a complete rewrite (and possibly a big part of the interface also). This is not a task none in a few months I am afraid.

I am no programmer so I can't comment on that.... But IF what you say is true it would be kind of ironic because the Noel from Cakewalk posted earlier that there is very little difference between 2.4 and 3.

Still, not sure how wise it is to leave this out considering that the next version of Sonar (X3) isn't probably around the corner.
firefly9000
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 19:33:12 (permalink)
alexoosthoek

I understand that, but VsT3 doesn't seem like something that should be so low on the list - especially considering that Sonar is a HOST to other applications - this being one of its main characteristics.
john6448
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 193
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 19:36:34 (permalink)
*** TEXT DELETED BY POSTER BECAUSE OF FORMATTING ISSUES I COULD NOT SOLVE, RE-ENTERED IN MY NEXT POST ***

John B.
------------------
Sonar X2 Producer
Primary Use: Orchestral MIDI with Softsynths 
2.5 GHz Core2 Quad 8300, 8 GB RAM 
Windows 7 64-bit
VSL Special Edition
Cinematic Strings 2

john6448
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 193
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 19:40:03 (permalink)
I apologize if I have unfairly muddied these turbulent waters with a technical misunderstanding on my part if in fact VST3 and Cubase's articulation switching are not joined at the hip, if the latter is not dependent on the former. I am by no means an expert on the subject. If my comment on this particular issue is miscategorized as a VST3 comment, then I withdraw it as stated and reiterate it as an appeal to make articulation switching, which is certainly doable in Sonar, easier, Cubase serving as a good example of how one might do it.
Let me say that the addition of automation lanes in X2 and copy/paste functionality for automation is a very helpful one.

I will add my feature requests, but alas it does not ameliorate my feeling that I must be in the minority here because what's important to me is not so important to the Sonar community. Thus my requests seem doomed, and I guess that's just something I have to accept as I consider the future. As I said, it is what it is.

One other thing, it definitely is true from my interaction that in the orchestral midi field Sonar, while it is known that it exists, is not commonly encountered and is but the blip of a scout plane on the radar. Cubase, while I'm sure it has its own problems, has a signature return the size of a capital ship. I say this not to put Sonar down, but as a hobbyist who some years ago hitched his wagon to Sonar without having realized this fact.

John B.
------------------
Sonar X2 Producer
Primary Use: Orchestral MIDI with Softsynths 
2.5 GHz Core2 Quad 8300, 8 GB RAM 
Windows 7 64-bit
VSL Special Edition
Cinematic Strings 2

alexoosthoek
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 19:43:46 (permalink)
firefly9000

alexoosthoek

I understand that, but VsT3 doesn't seem like something that should be so low on the list - especially considering that Sonar is a HOST to other applications - this being one of its main characteristics.

One thing's fore sure, I'm glad I didn't have to make that decision :)

The CHB
Some Live Demo's

Have fun!
JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 19:59:17 (permalink)
firefly9000

JClosed

If you want all the new VST3 stuff actually getting to work in Sonar, the core engine of Sonar needs a complete rewrite (and possibly a big part of the interface also). This is not a task none in a few months I am afraid.

I am no programmer so I can't comment on that.... But IF what you say is true it would be kind of ironic because the Noel from Cakewalk posted earlier that there is very little difference between 2.4 and 3.

Still, not sure how wise it is to leave this out considering that the next version of Sonar (X3) isn't probably around the corner.

Noel indeed said there was very little difference between 2.4 and 3, but the (programming) venom is in the details. To make the few differences actually work in Sonar is not a job for the faint of hart. For instance - VST3 supports a per-note MIDI articulation (only supported by a few soft synths for now, but well). This means a complete rewrite of the MIDI sound engine part, the piano roll view and probably everything that has something to do with notation. Now - take the "new" side chaining people are talking about. This means a complete overhaul of all signal processing routes working in Sonar internally (and so probably a major rewrite of the ProChannel). This is not something that can be done in a spare Sunday afternoom. This is a LOT of work.

Sure some other platforms have done so already, but let's not forget Cakewalk has less staff than Steinberg etc. They have to make money tough, and have to produce something now en then to get enough money to keep things rolling. This means they have to make priority's, and VST3 is not a top priority at this very moment (but will be maybe at a later time).

That all said - I am convinced VST3 will come to Sonar, but -just as I said- not in the very short term..
stevee9c6
  • Total Posts : 464
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 20:09:07 (permalink)
I would like to point out that I bought Waves Vocal Rider several weeks ago.  It works just fine in X1d 64. I use it on every mix.  Here is a link to the Waves page which clearly shows that it is supported by Sonar. http://www.wavesupport.net/Objects/Images/Product%20Info/Supported_Hosts_Charts/V9_pc.html  I honestly think that there is some disinformation being disseminated here.  I have thousands of dollars invested in UAD plugs using my UAD Quad card. They are still 32 bit but seem to work just fine.  I can find no documentation anywhere on the UAD site or the UAD forum that there 64 bit implementation will be VST 3 only..

Steve 
www.stevestallingsmusic.com
firefly9000
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 20:10:27 (permalink)
Noel indeed said there was very little difference between 2.4 and 3, but the (programming) venom is in the details. To make the few differences actually work in Sonar is not a job for the faint of hart. For instance - VST3 supports a per-note MIDI articulation (only supported by a few soft synths for now, but well). This means a complete rewrite of the MIDI sound engine part, the piano roll view and probably everything that has something to do with notation. Now - take the "new" side chaining people are talking about. This means a complete overhaul of all signal processing routes working in Sonar internally (and so probably a major rewrite of the ProChannel). This is not something that can be done in a spare Sunday afternoom. This is a LOT of work.

Sure some other platforms have done so already, but let's not forget Cakewalk has less staff than Steinberg etc. They have to make money tough, and have to produce something now en then to get enough money to keep things rolling. This means they have to make priority's, and VST3 is not a top priority at this very moment (but will be maybe at a later time).

That all said - I am convinced VST3 will come to Sonar, but -just as I said- not in the very short term..
Understandable - but it's still not going to be fun to either 'salivate' at VsT3 only plugs or get them and sit on the sidelines while CW figures stuff out.
Linear Phase
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2201
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 20:14:15 (permalink)
Sonar vs Imageline, "with respect to vst 3," is far off the mark.  I just think this is interesting.  I have no skin in the game either way.  I am not against vst 3, and I am not for it.  I definitely see the benefit in affordable tools like Sonar, and the variety of Cakewalk Product.   And keeping these tools affordable.

I do not want to quote anybody and get into a, "trolling," contest, but when you consider how differently FLStudio and Sonar operate; grab some insights into the engineering decisions that get made, "behind the scenes, in the offices."

Imagline may have looked at the VST 3 Api and said, "wow, we can add this and save money."  While Cakewalk looks and sees, "what a massive undertaking and mega-expense."

That's just the way it is.  FLStudio and Sonar are extremely different.  What may make sense for 1 architecture, may be lunacy for the other.

too many lasers...

Sonar = audio editing ninja of a music software!

SToons
  • Total Posts : 478
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 20:14:51 (permalink)
stevee9c6

I would like to point out that I bought Waves Vocal Rider several weeks ago.  It works just fine in X1d 64. I use it on every mix.  Here is a link to the Waves page which clearly shows that it is supported by Sonar. http://www.wavesupport.net/Objects/Images/Product%20Info/Supported_Hosts_Charts/V9_pc.html 
I understand that "supported" in this case means it will load and can be automated -manually- (ie. using envelopes etc., not sidechaining). Are you suggesting you are succesfully using the Sidechain feature in Vocal Rider and using one audio track to control the Vocal Rider in an alternate track?

For example, the C6 compressor will function fine in Sonar HOWEVER the Sidechain function does not work. Can you absolutely confirm that the Sidechain function works in Sonar?
SToons
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 20:26:24 (permalink)
SToons

stevee9c6

I would like to point out that I bought Waves Vocal Rider several weeks ago.  It works just fine in X1d 64. I use it on every mix.  Here is a link to the Waves page which clearly shows that it is supported by Sonar. http://www.wavesupport.net/Objects/Images/Product%20Info/Supported_Hosts_Charts/V9_pc.html 
I understand that "supported" in this case means it will load and can be automated -manually- (ie. using envelopes etc., not sidechaining). Are you suggesting you are succesfully using the Sidechain feature in Vocal Rider and using one audio track to control the Vocal Rider in an alternate track?

For example, the C6 compressor will function fine in Sonar HOWEVER the Sidechain function does not work. Can you absolutely confirm that the Sidechain function works in Sonar?
Actually, the top of the page clearly states: 

Waves Version 9
Supported Hosts and Formats - PC

Version 9 supports all audio hosts below in 32-bit, and 64-bit where available.
Sidechain is supported on Pro Tools, Nuendo, Cubase, Audition CS6, and Studio One only

So no offense, Steve, but this is the "issue" that I and others are complaining about. Also note which DAWs DO fully support Waves plugins. I continue to see this as a major fail on Cakewalk's part. While it is quite possible that this does not hinge on VST3 implementation, nonetheless Sonar does not fully support one of the largest and highest regarded plugin suites available and this has been continuing for some years now. Perhaps Noel will suggest that this is a failure of Waves to conform their plugins to adapt to Sonar's architecture but as a user/consumer frankly I don't care. The end result is that if I have to ultimately choose between Waves and Sonar it's goodbye Cakewalk. Everything else I have invested in will work fine in other DAWs. I really do think Cakewalk is stepping backwards for many pros to chase the hobbyist market. I can't blame them but it's not the direction I'm prepared to follow.

I, like many others, have significantly more invested in plugins than the actual host. This is true in Photoshop as well and is a growing trend. This to me has become a sign, along with the advent of the "proprietary" ProChannel plugins, that it appears Cakewalk is moving in a different direction than other companies. Most Steinberg plugins are universal and can be used in most host applications. Not Cakewalk, at least not as of -recently- . Numerous other example abound. I could be wrong about the long-term but right now, for me, upgrading is "gambling" whereas switching DAWs is a "sure thing".

post edited by SToons - 2012/09/06 20:48:58
stevee9c6
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 20:37:23 (permalink)
SToons

stevee9c6

Sidechaining is not supported in Sonar. You do not need to use sidechaining to use this plug.  It works very nicely on vocal tracks by simply inserting it and setting the parameters of gain change. The information posted in this thread indicated that it did not work in Sonar. It works just fine without sidechaining.

Steve 
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 20:41:10 (permalink)

Sidechain is supported on Pro Tools, Nuendo, Cubase, Audition CS6, and Studio One only

Hmmm...   Pro Tools is via RTAS, so that leaves Cubendo, Audition and Studio One.    On the flip side we have Reaper and Live that apparently do not support VST3, as well as Logic and Digital Performer which don't include VST at all.

So in regards to previous posts stating that SONAR is "one of the only DAWs that doesn't support VST3", what am I missing?   I really don't have a vested interest at this point I just find this to be an interesting discussion. 

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

stevee9c6
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 20:44:13 (permalink)
I'm going to my studio to work on some mixes now. I'm not interested in arguing on the internet when I can be recording.  Certainly, this may be an important issue to some and I do hope that is addressed in future updates. I've already purchased the X2 pre-sale and am looking forward to it. Later :) 

BTW... I also own Cubase, and Studio One so I reckon if I wanted to use the sidechain function I could load it in one of those.

Steve 
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 20:53:07 (permalink)
This reminds me of the discussions back in the days before Sonar was made VST compatible. 

There were some quite valid reasons as to why Cakewalk wouldn't support VST when it was such a de facto standard - including the fact the DX was supposedly superior in many aspects and offered better possibilities. Ron Kuper had some pretty good arguments and promising ideas.

Eventually, we finally saw a few major manufacturers supporting DXi, but eventually, Cakewalk gave up on fighting that uphill battle and implemented VST. 

10 years later, we're back to square one, more or less. No matter how many arguments against VST 3 can be made, no matter if 2,4 could have allowed much of what's in 3. VST3 is here. 

I somehow doubt that Steinberg gave a discount to its former employees to implement VST3 in Studio One - yet, it was implemented. As such, I have no idea what makes it so hard and expensive to implement in Sonar.

Technically, Sonar can probably do pretty much everything w/ VST 2.4. And it's good to know that VST3 is in the pipes. But I don't think adopting VST3 in X2 would have hurt.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
SToons
Re:This just in .... X2 DOES NOT SUPPORT VST3 ..per Robin 2012/09/06 20:55:45 (permalink)
stevee9c6
Sidechaining is not supported in Sonar. You do not need to use sidechaining to use this plug.  It works very nicely on vocal tracks by simply inserting it and setting the parameters of gain change. The information posted in this thread indicated that it did not work in Sonar. It works just fine without sidechaining.
What do you mean there's something wrong with my car? It works just fine, it's moving forwards as I speak. Why worry about the brakes as I don't seem to need them right now...

Works? Maybe. Fine? Not. ;-p
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 9
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1