V-Vocal crashing Sonar "cronus.dll" Workaround

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Paul Russell
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3892
Re:V-Vocal crashing Sonar "cronus.dll" Workaround 2010/06/14 15:35:11 (permalink)
This Cronus bug suddenly started happening to me too. The solution is Melodyne Editor. 

Paul Russell 
Calamity Studio and on Facebook

Elumusic
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:V-Vocal crashing Sonar "cronus.dll" Workaround 2010/06/24 18:16:49 (permalink)
I just had to put my two cents into this...  I am a professional recording artist and producer and I used to use Sonar exclusively to make music and compose for film.  I am a member of BMI and the Recording Academy.  The bottom line is Cakewalks Tech Support sucks.  I had the exact same problem with Sonar 8.5 and V-Vocal and it happened suddenly probably after some sort of Windows update.  CWTS told me to un-install everything and clean the registry which I did more than once and still nothing fixed the problem.  I don't have any more time to mess around with this kind of crap.  I have had more down time than productive time and I blame it on Cakewalk.  Their Tech Support also makes you log back into the site to post a response to the help already given.  (That's CRAP!) I should just be able to reply to the email.   

V-Vocal has always been buggy and the bottom line here is that Cakewalk does need to be held accountable for the flaws in their programming.  Because I have been a faithful Sonar user since version 4 and have upgraded every time I expect that they would really support their product and would have fixed this glitch.  I kept hoping that the next version would "fix" the issues.  They never have.  So because they have neglected their customers and put together work-arounds instead of solutions and or patches to their software I quit using Sonar three weeks ago.  I will never return to Cakewalk.  They have lost me as a customer forever.  I have also stopped using Windows OS because for some reason manufacturer's will not keep up with windows updates.  Drivers stop working, programs stop working or develop glitches every time Windows updates.  I was the last hold out of all my musical peers being a PC user.  Funny thing is...these problems rarely if ever happen with a MAC.  All the drivers and programs work all the time.  You just go in and turn the stuff on and be creative.  On the PC, you turn it on and hope windows doesnt need to update and then pray to God if it does that every thing still works afterwards.
I bought a MAC three weeks ago and started using LOGIC Pro.  IMO It's not as cool as Sonar graphically and it's not as user intuitive.  Logic is difficult at first, there are lots of parameters and it's not set up the same, but it does everything Sonar does and more.  In addition it works without glitches and LOGIC supports all third party software un-conditionally as well as supporting external hardware.  Most plug-ins were developed with Mac first so go figure.  The MAC also runs 32 bit and 64 bit plug-ins side by side without any issues.  No bridge required because of the new MAC OS.

Basically...I'm done with Cakewalk, done with Windows...I'm out.  It is un-acceptable for Cakewalk to ignore the problems especially after we spend thousands of dollars on their upgrades.  My advice to everyone...get a mac and go to ProTools or Logic.  Yes it's a little pricey to start over...but it's doable.  

LpMike75
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1621
Re:V-Vocal crashing Sonar "cronus.dll" Workaround 2010/06/24 18:39:31 (permalink)
As others have stated, the only true workaround is fix clip >bounce> delete original vvocalclip out of your project.  I have soooo many times accidentially left a small Vvocal clip somewhere hidden, muted in a folder and it crashed my project after days of working on it with no issues.  It is totally unpredictable.

I am just swinging through to voice my frustration with Vvocal crashes as well.  It is such a great tool, I hate to have to go buy melodyne when I already own something that can do the job...minus the crashing.

- Mike
Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
BluesMeister
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 581
Re:V-Vocal crashing Sonar "cronus.dll" Workaround 2010/06/24 21:38:58 (permalink)
I can't get beyond Create V-Vocal Clip without Sonar crashing. I did the right thing and contacted CakeWalk Technical Support via the appropriate link, but for over a week now they have studiously avoided responding. Come on Tech Support, you are not doing yourselves any favours. How do I fix this?

BluesMeister
5 guitars, 1 amplifier, 3 pedals
Asus P8P67LE, i7 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD
Win7 Home Premium 64-Bit SP-1
Sonar 8.5.3 64-Bit, RME HDSPe AIO
Spendor BC-1 Studio Monitors
BluesMeister
Re:V-Vocal crashing Sonar "cronus.dll" Workaround 2010/06/26 22:55:35 (permalink)
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk
]

Hey Guys,

I edited out correspondence from one of our Technical Support representatives. Please note that Technical Support is for registered customers of our products. We do not allow public disclosure of our help as there is numerous users on this forum and who frequent it that do not have legitimate copies.

If you have any questions about this policy feel free to send me a Private Message.

Best,

Seth, I contacted Tech Support two weeks ago via the appropriate link but so far they haven't responded. I can't get beyond Create V-Vocal Clip without Sonar crashing on me. Some help in resolving this issue would be appreciated, I am a registered customer.

BluesMeister
LpMike75
Re:V-Vocal crashing Sonar "cronus.dll" Workaround 2010/06/27 05:26:32 (permalink)
Hey Bluesmeister, coincidentally while working on a new project (after my previous post) I found myself in the same boat as you.  Instant crash when I create a v-vocal clip.  I tried the suggestion on the first post in this thread and it worked for me long enough to creat 1 clip.  Then it reverted back to it's instant crashing nonsense.

I have no advice, just sympathizing with you.
-Mike
Another bump for this thread I guess.  Hopefully the next version will have this smoothed out.

- Mike
Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
BluesMeister
Re:V-Vocal crashing Sonar "cronus.dll" Workaround 2010/06/28 22:05:39 (permalink)
LPMike, I appreciate the sympathy.

Because Seth edited out the procedure in those earlier posts, so it's apparent that Tech Support have a work-around for this problem. I will contact them again...

-Frank

BluesMeister
BluesMeister
Re:V-Vocal crashing Sonar "cronus.dll" Workaround 2010/07/03 23:49:23 (permalink)
I contacted Tech Support again today (July 4, 2010), I will continue doing so until I get a response.

BluesMeister
LpMike75
Re:V-Vocal crashing Sonar "cronus.dll" Workaround 2010/07/04 09:42:32 (permalink)
Hey BluesMeister-
    I forgot to add to my post.  The one project I had that would not allow me to open a VVocal clip, I ended up taking the wave file that needed some fixing and importing it into a new empty project.  I was then able to edit/bounce and then import the new fixed and polished clip back into the original project.  
    This obviously only works if you have 1 project that is immediately crashing when you open V-Vocal but you are able to use it in an empty project. 
-Mike

- Mike
BluesMeister
Re:V-Vocal crashing Sonar "cronus.dll" Workaround 2010/07/04 23:50:14 (permalink)
Mike, I tried V-Vocal in another project that only has one WAV file in it. I split the clip and applied V-Vocal and got the same result... kerrash. Next I will try opening an empty project and recording some guitar and apply V-Vocal to that.

-Frank-

BluesMeister
BluesMeister
Re:V-Vocal crashing Sonar "cronus.dll" Workaround 2010/07/08 01:31:55 (permalink)
The Good News: I got a response from Tech Support
The Bad News: I've already tried what they suggested and it didn't work... See Vinny's post #21 ( there's no Tech Support content in Vinny's post otherwise it would have been expunged)

Vinny *may* have a point regarding video driver conflict, my video is on the motherboard so I'll check it out.

BluesMeister
Featherlight
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 429
Re:V-Vocal crashing Sonar "cronus.dll" Workaround 2010/07/08 17:05:47 (permalink)
V Vocal is such a powerful tool and such a disappointment at the same time. It has, and continues to be, one of the MAJOR design flaws of Sonar. For those of us who use it in a production environment every day, this has been a PITA since its inception.

Even with all the workarounds ( delete old versions from VST list and registry before installing sonar updates, yada yada..)  it still causes system instability from an app that should well past these kinds of oversights by now.

Its the premeir DAW on PC and there are still some pretty major glitches that are several versions old now. Just my .02 cents but I think if Sonar wants to secure its foothold in an app saturated market, its going to have to do some tweaking to stay current.

Regardless if there are convoluted work arounds or not, most engineers have come to expect basic tools from their DAW tools, dependable automation, automatable/mutable busses, audio stretching that actually works while the client is sitting there, pitch correction that dosnt crash the app, buss templates that can be applied AFTER the recording process, more descriptive error reporting so we can troubleshoot problems without tying up app support.

Im hoping the increasing involvement with Roland with add some much needed code cleaning and development.  Seriously, in a world where a fifty dollar app like Reaper is legitimately competing against the big guns, times they are a changing.

http://www.featherlightstudio.com/studio

Computer: Intel i7 Quad, Intel P7P55D mobo, 16gig Corsair, Nvidia 8600gs Fanless
-----------------------------------------------------
Computer: Mac Mini i7 Quad Core Server, Intel mobo, 16 gig DDR3, 2-USB3 Audio Drvs, Mavericks
-----------------------------------------------------
Audio Interface: Mackie 1640i Firewire Mixer on a 1394 400 TI Chip
Peripherals: 3 UAD-1 PCie, Ilok 2, MIDI'd Yamaha Motif xs,
BluesMeister
Re:V-Vocal crashing Sonar "cronus.dll" Workaround 2010/07/14 01:02:01 (permalink)
Tech Support have been in contact with me and have been very helpful. I'll be trying their suggested work around which I'm confident will resolve the problem with V-Vocal. Don't ask me to post the procedure here, it's confidential information, if you want to know what to do, contact Tech Support.

-Frank-

BluesMeister
harikaram
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 94
Re:V-Vocal crashing Sonar "cronus.dll" Workaround 2011/06/07 04:43:23 (permalink)
Bump....

@BluesMeister, any chance of you PM'ing me the procedure so I can save the hassle of CW tech support?  I'd be most grateful!

Intel i7 920 / Win 7 x64 / 12GB RAM / 720GB + 1.5TB RAID0 Seagates 7200.12's / Sonar Producer 8.5 / Akai MPK49 / Kore 2 / Korg padKontrol x 2 / RME Fireface 400

http://www.amritvela.com
http://twitter.com/harikaram
http://facebook.com/harikaram
Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:V-Vocal crashing Sonar "cronus.dll" Workaround 2011/06/07 06:03:52 (permalink)
Don't ask me to post the procedure here, it's confidential information

Did you read this bit?

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
BluesMeister
Re:V-Vocal crashing Sonar "cronus.dll" Workaround 2011/06/10 00:45:57 (permalink)
Harikaram, I'm sorry, I'd be breaching confidentiality. You're presumably going through the same drama that I did with VV, if so you have my sympathy. Keep plugging away at Tech Support and they'll eventually let you in on the esoteric procedure.

BluesMeister
Paul in MA
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: V-Vocal crashing Sonar "cronus.dll" Workaround 2013/12/26 08:35:10 (permalink)
I hope this saves somebody some time. On my Windows 7 computer I couldn't open my project after I saved it with few vvocal clips. In explorer, I went to c:\program files\cakewalk\shared dxi\vvocal\ and renamed "cronus.dll" to "cronus.dllold". My Cakewalk project was then able to open after spitting out a cronus.dll related error notice and I was able to remove the offending vvocal instances. I re-saved the project and renamed the DLL file back to the original cronus.dll and the project opens without problems.

Good Luck!
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1