Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
Paul Russell
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3892
2008/02/12 05:00:39 (permalink)

Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass

Hi Sonar users

I want to warn you against Kick Ass Brass and its asinine copy protection polices. This legitimate user has been frozen out of this sample set for more than six weeks while the developer ignores my emails.

The copy protection system is challenge/response, and the developer is very stingy about upgrades. There is no 'demo mode' - you need the response or the software doesn't work at all.

Here's my example:

Dec 05: buy the software- 1 authorisation
March 07: System rebuild entails a new authorisation
October 07 - replace DAW, using authorisation 3. Warn developer that I will be upgrading to Vista 64 shortly and would like to run dual boot. He (Matthew Wilkinson) tells me that won't be possible.

So I've used up 3 authorisations in 24 months. Now AMG UK are refusing to give me another authorisation. The software is unusable without it. Matthew Wilkinson is ignoring my emails.

This is extremely unprofessional and, to be quite frank, an absolute rip off. I have samplers from Spectrasonics, Synthogy, Native Instruments, XLN Audio (Addictive Drums), IK Multimedia and East West, and not one of these companies has given me this grief through the same cycle of upgrades. I also have an iLok which covers me for even more legit plugins. This developer has the worst user relations issues I have ever had the misfortune to deal with.

Aside from this, the sampler is buggy and freezes up frequently at low latencies. The samples themselves are vastly over-rated and lack both definition and dynamics. STAY AWAY.

Like I said, DO NOT BUY THIS SOFTWARE. Feel free to tell all of your friends, colleagues and fellow musicians.

Paul Russell 
Calamity Studio and on Facebook

151 Replies Related Threads

billruys
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 852
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 05:09:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing. I think you are justified in feeling ripped off.

You know, we have to register Sonar to get the authorisation key. But we write the key on the sticker in the DVD case and we can re-install as many times as we need to without having to make a phone call or send an email.

Makes you appreciate the way Cakewalk does it!

Bill Ruys
    Silicon Audio

musicade
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 05:11:36 (permalink)
    Added to the no-go shopping list, sorry to hear about your experience.

+1
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 05:14:53 (permalink)

I hope roland doesnt change that. I love this policy, expecially when you ugrade every year to a new pc. It makes the new pc experience that much better. now if all the VST and VSTi vendors would do the same...LOL

Paul, i bet you feel allot better letting this out, instead of letting it eat you up inside. Even if there plugs are poop...
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    billruys
    • Total Posts : 852
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 05:20:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

I hope roland doesnt change that. I love this policy, expecially when you ugrade every year to a new pc. It makes the new pc experience that much better. now if all the VST and VSTi vendors would do the same...LOL

I hear ya bro... By the time you've spent hours and hours installing the OS, downloading & installing drivers, installing all the latest OS patches and service packs, Sonar, Sonar's patches, all your plugins, etc...

... the last thing you want to do is spend hours, days, weeks or even months trying to activate your freaking software!

Bill Ruys
    Silicon Audio

Paul Russell
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 07:46:52 (permalink)
    ... the last thing you want to do is spend hours, days, weeks or even months trying to activate your freaking software!

especially if you're dealing with some sarcastic twat who insists that four authorisations in over two years is too much. I paid for the software - it should be as many times as I need it!

Paul Russell 

emwhy
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1402
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 07:54:25 (permalink)
    I do workshops at a studio that got screwed over big time by WAVES. One of the MACs failed and have to have the MB replaced. WAVES would not re-authorize the plug-ins, even when the MAC builder went to WAVES on behalf of the studio. Essentially these guys are out several thousand $$ and can't use the software.

Mick
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1358
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 08:03:29 (permalink)
    This is a situation where I would not hesitate to use a cracked version - assuming you can find one.

ORIGINAL: Paul Russell

Hi Sonar users

I want to warn you against Kick Ass Brass and its asinine copy protection polices. This legitimate user has been frozen out of this sample set for more than six weeks while the developer ignores my emails.

Kick Ass Brass

I have not changed my signature.
    ericyeoman
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 08:09:18 (permalink)
    Hi,

What does the EULA say about authorisations?

Eric.
    gordonrussell76
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1879
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 08:14:43 (permalink)
    I am totally against cracking, but its times like this where you feel as though the developer/company is actually encouraging it.

I mean does he really think you are going to fork out the money for his software all over again, especially after the bad service experience you have just had.

As for Waves, thats terrible, that is basically daylight robbery, and again counter productive, becuase that studio is now not using there product, denying them positive word of mouth ie wow, what did you use on those vocals. Oh wave vocal renaisance. and secondly will probably contribute to negative word of mouth like this.

G
    SH
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 942
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 08:28:00 (permalink)
    October 07 - replace DAW, using authorisation 3.

This is bull.
    Since when should a software developer determine if/when you upgrade hardware.
    jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 08:43:27 (permalink)
    Well Paul, you've gotten a lot of supportive, sympathetic feedback. Good for you. Now I'm going to tell you why your claims are frivolous, unfounded, and well, just way off the mark. The first thing I want to explain to you, is that I have no "official" affiliation with the company in question. The second thing I want to explain to you is that the third sentence of this post is an out and out lie, pure and simple. I feel for you man, that sucks. I know I have authorized iZotope Ozone and Trash 11 and 14 times respectively, heck they even keep a counter in your account page, and they have never bothered me, whether I needed to redownload the file or reauthorize the plug. Same with Sound Forge, going back to Sonic Foundry days and continuing through to Sony. I can't ethically suggest what Mick suggests, but I also cant untype the words I just typed, especially if you remove the "can't ethically" part from the first clause of this very long (and possibly run-onish) sentence. Good luck, I hope you resolve your issue, one way....or another...
    lavoll
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 447
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 08:43:28 (permalink)
    thats really bull :(
    and that waves story is just another reason never to buy waves stuff.
    as consumers our power is probably to quickly ditch these arrogant developers and spread the word about how they treat their customer.
    Paul Russell
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 09:08:36 (permalink)
    What does the EULA say about authorisations?

there's no mention of a limit on authorisations on the pre-sales spiel nor in the EULA.
    It's fraud, pure and simple.

And it would seem that the software isn't popular enough for anyone to have gone to the effort of working out a crack. I can't find one anywhere.

Paul Russell 

Psychobillybob
    • Total Posts : 882
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 09:26:56 (permalink)
    Perhaps you can find a sympathetic ear at a competitors site, a crossgrade might ease your pain...?

I'm using SOnar Platinium on a 6 core Lynx Audio machine and a ton of vintage pre-amps/eq's/comps I build for fun and sometimes money, REDD.47/API/Neve I also use the UAD stuff, and also use a Macbook Logic 9 through Apogee...
    michaelalala
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 09:28:59 (permalink)
    The mutual trust method employed by Cakewalk is very important to me, because it shows respect to me as a loyal customer. I have never let anyone near my Cakewalk software over the past 10 years although I have had many requests after people see the limitless possibilities it offers.

Ever since we were first told by software suppliers we were buying the right to use the software instead of buying the software, some unscrupulous types have translated that to their own will.
    gordonrussell76
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1879
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 09:38:21 (permalink)
    It funny I was thinking of getting some brass and had looked at Kick Ass, I shall now avoid like the plague.

~G
    Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 09:44:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SH

October 07 - replace DAW, using authorisation 3.

This is bull.
    Since when should a software developer determine if/when you upgrade hardware.

Yeah it's ridiculous isn't it, imagine having to buy more memory and a new graphics card just to run an OS because the manufacturer is going to stop supporting their current line-up?!

oh....errr.... some people have actually done that haven't they

/coat

;-)

Child

Sorry to hear you got stitched up Paul (not just your toe) hopefully this thread might help them to see the error of their ways?
    C Hudson
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 990
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 09:47:37 (permalink)
    Just sent them an email. Thanks for the heads up...

Best

CH
    flinger
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 09:56:01 (permalink)
    And there are a lot more people who are reading this but haven't written anything who will now avoid Kick Ass Brass and anything else by that company. It is grossly unfair at best, and a total rip-off and more at worst.
    Monkey23
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 848
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 10:27:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Paul Russell

This is extremely unprofessional and, to be quite frank, an absolute rip off. I have samplers from Spectrasonics, Synthogy, Native Instruments, XLN Audio (Addictive Drums), IK Multimedia and East West, and not one of these companies has given me this grief through the same cycle of upgrades. I also have an iLok which covers me for even more legit plugins. This developer has the worst user relations issues I have ever had the misfortune to deal with.

I guess that's the danger when buying from the "little guy". I hope that's not the norm. Still, I guess there is something to be said for buying from a major company, at least in a situation like this.
    Now we've only heard your side of the story, but it's sounds legitimate. Regardless, ignoring e-mails is completely unprofessional. I will spread the word.
    post edited by Monkey23 - 2008/02/12 10:44:33
    rchristiejr
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1342
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 10:31:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for the information!! I hope things work out for you.

RFC JR
    Pure Desires~~

yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 10:47:07 (permalink)
    It continues to boggle the mind that in this day of instant obsolesence and constant mobo and chip upgrades that some pig headed software developers continue to shoot themselves in the foot with such prigish behaviour. And in this case (sorry, Paul) the software itself is not all that great to begin with. I agree that a cross grade might be in order; First Call Horns perhaps. I even agree with those who've suggested getting a hacked copy. Almost all of the software that I currently own licenses to (dongle, challenge, etc...) allow an adequate number of authorizations and even when that number is exceeded I have yet to have a company deny me yet another. It looks like Mr. Wilkinson is staring at the world from the inside of his own large intestine. Just think of how many new, legitimate customers Waves, for one, would have if they simply took a chill pill and developed a more "moderate and tolerant" copy protection scheme? Perhaps then everybody and his brother would not be giving away hacked copys of Mercury on every audio-street corner in the world.
    post edited by yorolpal - 2008/02/12 11:03:35

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 10:49:42 (permalink)
    I'm looking for brass samples for an upcoming Documentry Series on Gangsters. I'll need a lot of good jazz sounds and no hassles....so I guess Kick Ass Brass is off the list.
    post edited by Jimbo 88 - 2008/02/12 11:05:55
    Geokauf
    • Total Posts : 912
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 11:03:17 (permalink)
    I have samplers from Spectrasonics, Synthogy, Native Instruments, XLN Audio (Addictive Drums), IK Multimedia and East West,

Hello Paul,

It's a shame that a knowledgeable member like yourself (who no longer frequents this forum) would return not to discuss Sonar but to disparage a music software vendor that hasn't worked out for you. Since you have all these other samplers, why did you need yet another piece of duplicitous kit? In my shop the saying is "better is the enemy of good." If you needed more horns there are plenty of libraries (EW and Garritan - I'm particularly found of Garritan GPO and JABB, which are fantastic buys for the price (especially if you got them in a group by like it did US$120 each).

A large portion of the plugs and apps that I use require on-line authorization (Sony, Adobe, Antares, IK, GPO-NI) and would become useless if any of these companies were wound up for whatever reason. Happened to me in the 90's with Passport Systems (MasterTracks on Mac). As long as the laws support the concept that the software is "owned" by the manufacturer and is only "licensed" to the end user we will suffer problems like you describe. That is because the software manufacturers don't respect their customers. Which brings me to my famous three rules of software:

1. You don't own it.
    2. It's never finished.
    3. Each new version removes your favorite features replaced with ones you will never use (They giveth and they taketh away).

Software manufacturers blame the hackers for cracking their software but it is the unreasonably stringent license requirements and unreasonable pricing that begets users to seek out a "free" alternative (e.g., cracks).

Another big problem with purchasing software licenses is that your bank or credit card issuer considers this a one-time sale (not an ongoing transaction) so you can't go back to the bank or credit card issuer and make a fraud complaint a year or more later. Try explaining that you are entitled to roll back the purchase transaction because the vendor is in violation of the license agreement. I think you're going to throw the DVD/CD into the "box of forgotten software" and get on with it.

I fully understand your predicament and despise software manufacturers that do not respect their customers, but I can't see how you will be comforted in any way by knowing that you have "hurt" this vendor. What I or others do or don't do will not make you "whole" in this matter.

GK
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 11:04:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: flinger

And there are a lot more people who are reading this but haven't written anything who will now avoid Kick Ass Brass and anything else by that company. It is grossly unfair at best, and a total rip-off and more at worst.

That would be me.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    SH
    • Total Posts : 942
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 11:12:18 (permalink)
    I can't see how you will be comforted in any way by knowing that you have "hurt" this vendor.

I think the point was to warn us.
    Bert Guy
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1042
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 11:27:35 (permalink)
    It burns me down that the people that suffer are paying customers. The crackers are not inconvenienced at all.

Silence is so accurate

http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=587673

jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 11:59:49 (permalink)
    I think the point was to warn us.

Exactly. Some people just miss the point. A lot.
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: Warning - do NOT buy Kick Ass Brass 2008/02/12 12:15:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mick
    This is a situation where I would not hesitate to use a cracked version - assuming you can find one.

+1.

I'm a pretty reformed punk-ass kid at this point, owning my workhorses. But if I was running a pro studio and experienced that crashing 'puter and had a developer dig in their heels on me? D00d DirectConnect is, like, an icon on my desktop...*

*It's not actually, but you get the idea.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to: