Helpful ReplyWhat mic do you favor for vocals?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/12 15:54:42 (permalink)
Lets see..... I have 4 mics I think.... 2 dynamics, one is a SM58... good mic for stage but I don't like it for the studio....

And 2 condenser mics.... one that came with ARC and then my Rode NT-2A....

The Rode NT-2A gets used every time..... and for everything, since, well, it's about the best one I have..... don't have anything else so...... what's my other choice?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/12 16:42:30 (permalink)
My main ones that I use are an older sE Electronics SE5600 tube mic, and a RODE NT1-A. I like them both, but have been using the RODE more than the sE lately.
rumleymusic
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1533
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/12 19:43:28 (permalink)
Gold sputtered? Now much gold are they using.

Pretty much all LDC's are gold sputtered.  It is just a tiny film on top of the typically mylar or PVC diaphragms.  Needed of course to act as a capacitor in conjunction with the back plate.  Gold, while not the best material for the job, is used because it does not tarnish like silver, copper or even nickle would.  

I have come to appreciate the ease of putting a mic up, pressing record, and getting a great sound.  That is not something you can do with very many cheap mics.  A well designed, hand tuned by ear microphone is a luxury item and worth the 4 figure sticker price.  Most options by Microtech Gefell, and the higher end of neumann, are well worth it.  Cheaper options like the Neumann TLM102 carry the cost of the Neumann name but the sound quality of a Chinese competitor.  

The best bang for the buck LDC's I know of are the AT4050, Sure KSM44/32, AKG C414 of course, Miktek's line, and some of the off shore models of Telefunken USA.  Of course the SM7b and RE20 are great dynamic alternatives.   AEA's new N22 is worth a look for a good vocal ribbon mic.    If you cant afford any of these, save your money until you can.  It is an expensive business.  

Daniel Rumley
Rumley Music and Audio Production
www.rumleymusic.com
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/12 19:58:55 (permalink)
If you don't want to waste money on gold you can always try titanium.

Plus, you won't have to pay extra for a transformer you don't want.

The Band19
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2795
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/12 21:42:10 (permalink)
Here it is! I found it!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/U87Ai/

Some might say it's too extravagant, but I've never had any buyers remorse... I run it through the LA610 usually;

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LA610mk2

Again, no buyers remorse. It's been a sweet combo. Not for everyone, I understand. But if you can swing it? "Swing for the fences..." 

Sittin downtown in a railway station one toke over the line.
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/13 00:13:11 (permalink)
A good mic is worth the money you pay for it.  If you don't have that much money, use all that you do have.  You'll probably, like Guitarhacker, use it as your go-to.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
rumleymusic
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1533
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/13 00:18:42 (permalink)
If you don't want to waste money on gold you can always try titanium.

In case anyone was wondering those TLM50 / M150's are small diaphragm ie. 16mm mics in a large housing.  The ball they are mounted in creates a pressure zone adding high frequency sparkle and directionality in the high frequencies.  The Neumann titanium "kk133" capsule used is one of the best orchestral mics money can by.  

For the record, nothing can beat the frequency response, transient response, and clarity of pure metal diaphragms like nickle and titanium.  Neumann, Gefell, Josephson, and Sonodore each have pure metal options and are very costly.  Probably not mellow and colored enough for pop vocals though.  

Daniel Rumley
Rumley Music and Audio Production
www.rumleymusic.com
The Maillard Reaction
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/13 07:40:50 (permalink)
bapu always says that I have a tin ear.

:-)

Jay Tee 4303
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 246
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/13 14:48:53 (permalink)
 I approach this differently.

If I can't get a good quality recording with an SM58, I have problems that are unrelated to the mic, instead, performer, performance, room, MONITORING, cables, software, FX, or even, OTHER tracks with problems.

At the performance level, I think MONITORING (with cans) is perhaps the most important, and under appreciated, piece of the pie. No other thing impacts the instantaneous feedback loop that governs the feelings and emotion of the performer more, and yet, most jam cheap cans in available headphone jacks, and even those who take time with their monitor setups often skimp with mid or consumer quality gear. A stellar performance (achieved by putting the performer WHERE HE NEEDS TO BE by attention to STELLAR monitori setup) on pro-sumer capture and recording gear will outperform a poor performance on million dollar mics and gear. I believe that MONITORING will become the next major focus thru the 2010 decade, much as room treatment has been since 2000, and in my mind it is of more importance. After all you CAN get a good mix in a poor room, but you can NEVER fix a lackluster, who gives a damn, clip, in a great room.

Once I have it where it needs to be, I audition a couple other mics, namely an AKG 200, and then a Neumann 102. These run thru a Focusrite ISA 2, a solid high-middle quality pre. I take most of the room out of the equation with gobos and a stand mount baffle.

That's a start with a legendary, and forever repeatable $100 mic, progressing to a roughly $200 mic, ending with a $700 mic, all of which are solid dependable performers at their price level. I can throw four and even five figures at "mic problems" which really are NOT mic problems, but instead I cut to the chase and get those other problems fixed with a standard or wireless 58. There are times when I audition better mics, and record with the 58, because it works better, and times I never audition the better mics because the 58 catches all there is. The better mic options are always there if I need them.  Until you are booking major market projects, most of your customers who know the difference between a 58 and an 87 are the folks who heard that ProTools is "better" than Sonar. Educate them if you can, pass on them if it means suicidal business practice or philosophical selling out, and for the very few who can make use of high end equipment, discuss their budget and rent the best they can afford. This formula should work equally well with other, similar price/performance components.

This approach ALWAYS gets me to the "Near Stellar" level. Since my facility is not fully live, still in config and fine tuning, this is MY most efficient way of making the recordings **I** need for now. Until my revenue streams solidify at the major label/album project or comparable level, sustainably, it is simply self delusional to succumb to Gear Acquisition Syndrome, along the lines of sows ears and silk purses.

As the business end progresses, I intend to RENT higher quality equipment and learn the vagaries of that equipment in MY ROOMs, at customer expense, less any learning curve delays of significant nature.

At that point, I have two basic options. I can invest in my future BUYING selected and familiar equipment, that my revenue streams do not (yet) support in the hopes that they will, or I can BUY equipment that the business DOES support, and make a bit extra profit avoiding the rental fees.

If you have money to burn, just back a truck up to Guitar Center and clean 'em out.

If you don't, I submit that buying gear past the "Near Stellar" level is one of two things.

Blind self delusion, which is probably masking OTHER OBSTACLES as yet unaddressed, or a disciplined, occasional reward to yourself and natural human wont, which I am totally kewl with, IF you are!

post edited by Jay Tee 4303 - 2014/02/13 15:21:54

IBM PC/XT
1 MB RAM
8087 Math Co-Processor
5 Megabyte Seagate Hard Drive
Twelvetone Cakewalk Version 2.0
The Maillard Reaction
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/13 15:15:42 (permalink)
In my onion, monitors seem to have a significant influence on all other decisions, opinions, and rationalizations I read on the inter web.

spacealf
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/13 17:51:42 (permalink)
I still would use a Sennheiser MD421 for vocals even. (although they are always used on drums.)
But then I may use something that no one else uses.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MD421/

Been around for seemingly forever.

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/13 18:26:17 (permalink)
that sennheiser is a GOOD sounding mic, spacealf.
i used to record with one, sounded good on everything.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

spacealf
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/14 11:43:33 (permalink)
The Senn 421 is just too crisp for some people (I guess they have gotten use to a duller sound.) The mic is kind of crisp though.

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/14 12:08:39 (permalink)
Starise, here's my opinion for what it's worth brother. I'd go to a store where you can try a bunch of mic's and see which one compliments your voice the best. When I record vocals for myself or my clients, I always bring out about 5-6 different mic's and have them sing a verse. This warms them up a little and gives us an idea on which mic we should use.

From there, it's just about ALWAYS something cheap that wins. I can't use a Nuemann U-87 on myself unless I sing in the key of G. I've told this story 100 times...but it's true. Some mic's just do not compliment the voice that goes through them. This is why we have a wide array. For myself...you'll crack up, but out of all the killer mic's I have, I lean towards an old Equitek CAD E-200. I've had it for years, paid a little over $500 for it...and to this day, it's been a work-horse for me for my own vocals, clients, and acoustic guitars. I use lots of other mic's too, but that CAD works wonders for me personally and you can probably find one on Ebay cheap. Every person I have ever told about that mic that has bought one, has thanked me 20 times or more after they have it.

Also, someone made a comment about how your room can come into play using a mic. I'm not discrediting the person who said that, I just wanted to make a comment that it has NEVER been the case for me in all the years I've been recording. As a matter of fact, I can make any mic sound good on any voice in any room. With the right placement, right eq, right compression....it's really easy to make a mic work. However, the key is to hear something and just know it's "the golden mic" without tweaking your brains out. My point is...any mic will work as long as you know how to use it.

Rooms....this to me only comes into play if you record in a gymnasium. Even there, if you record the mic at close range, how much of that gym reverberation do you really think you will hear in a recording? Trust me...not as much as you think. I put up a test a few months ago with a few mic's in my studio at close and far ranges. One of the mic's was a Logitech mic that was in my web cam. It sounded almost the same as my SM 57 at a distance and was pretty close to the "up close" sound....it just lacked fidelity.

But the room/distance wasn't an issue at all. You won't need to worry about room artifacts until you get a foot away. Not many people I know sing a foot or more away unless they are singing back up vocals in a group. In that situation, you WANT a little room ambiance. But I honestly never worry about a room I'm in no matter what the situation. I got my start recording in the worst untuned rooms in existence. I know a little something about this. :) Again, I'm not trying to discredit anyone....I'm saying it's not been my experience and for a room to play a role, you gotta have some distance as well as room reflections that really make a difference before you need to worry.

That 421 they talked about is a real good all purpose mic. A bit high endy as spacealf mentioned...but nothing you can't deal with via low-pass. I use 421's on toms as well as on guitars coupled with SM 57's. Now THAT is a great combination for rock guitar. :)

-Danny
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2014/02/14 12:10:04

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/14 12:37:48 (permalink)
Bat isn't the KSM44 a dynamic? Surprised me as it sure looks like a condenser but looks can be deceiving.They make the KSM44 and the KSM44a . In the latter version they have made the circuit quieter and the output slightly more. One thing is for sure. Shure know how to make a good dynamic mic.That mic is a value if it can hold it's own against some of the pricier mics.

Jaytee, I agree monitoring can make a huge difference. I don't know how many of you use a temorary reverb for the vocalist. This was a trick used by some to make the tracking seem more real to the singer. The idea being that they sound a little better when wet as opposed to going in dry, even if you don't use the verb and it's only on the monitor feed.

I hadn't heard much about SE but their new X1 looks to be a gem for the budget minded recordist. They supposedly hand build their elements and they are large elements with small thickness.

Daniel I appreciate you jumping in and offering insight on the use of gold in a mic. I had falsely assumed that it was more for the aging or to prevent and changes in the element due to aging. Many mics seem to have two elements with one being only mylar and the other gold plated. The use of gold for capacitance cleared that up. Thanks.

Many of the less expensive mics have thicker elements. Now thicker is probably a relative term when we are talking microns. A thinner element usually means more sensitivity. For instance the KSM44 has a 2micron element as does the AT4050. Some chinese manufactured mics are as thick as 6 microns. I'm not saying there aren't good mics with thicker elements because there are , but I think you gain something with less thickness. Element thickness, response time,noise,output gain...these all figure into a great mic. I'm sure there are many other factors.

Studio Projects makes a few really good all rounders that seem almost too good to be true, yet there are comment after comment about how good they are. The B-1 and B-3 are gaining something of a following. Hard to believe that for under 200.00 you can get a multi pattern mic that many brag about. I heard that one year Studio Projects had their booth set up right next to Neumann and encouraged a comparison listening test. These mics are probably the best low end mics you can buy IMO.

I appreciate the comments guys in sharing what works for you. In hindsight I probably should have asked for recommendations in certain price ranges. If I were recording for my main bread and butter then yeah, I would probably not see anything wrong with dropping thousands of dollars on a mic or two. As it stands I am not charging anyone to do what I do, so it's more of a hobby. In my case I can't justify this much for a hobby.

I guess I'm shooting somewhere in the middle, but once again price has nothing to do with results and so if it isn't expensive and still sounds decent then I'm really interested as a hobbyist.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

spacealf
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/14 14:08:09 (permalink)
Maybe the problem is that they are not going to have every mic in every store (especially around this town), so you can only try what they have available. And to me most of those mics are going to be cheaper in price usually and reviews are reviews for having a mic that was cheaper in price and sounded good enough.

??

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/14 14:13:42 (permalink)
google is your friend.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/ksm/ksm44a-multi-pattern-dual-diaphragm-microphone
The KSM44A is a premium, large-diaphragm, side-address condenser microphone with multiple polar pattern options (cardioid, omnidirectional, bidirectional).

Features
  • Prethos® Advanced Preamplifier Technology: Class A, discrete, transformerless preamplifier provides  transparency, extremely fast transient response and no crossover distortion. Minimizes harmonic and intermodulation distortions.  
  • Groundbreaking specifications: 4dB of self-noise and max SPL of 131 dB for a total dynamic range of 127 dB – an increase of 7 dB that defines the new standard for cleanly nuanced audio capture
  • Multiple polar patterns–cardioid, omnidirectional and bidirectional–for maximum flexibility in a wide variety of recording applications
  • Dual 1 inch, externally biased, ultra-thin, 2.5 μm, 24 Karat gold-layered, low mass diaphragms provide superior frequency response
  • Premium electronic components and gold-plated internal and external connectors
  • Subsonic filter eliminates rumble from mechanical vibration below 17 Hz.
  • Switchable 15 dB pad for handling extremely high sound pressure levels (SPLs)
  • 3-position switchable low-frequency filter helps reduce unwanted stand vibration noise or counteract proximity effect
  • Integrated three-stage “pop” protection grille reduces plosives and other breath noise

i have the older model.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

spacealf
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/14 14:28:04 (permalink)
It also costs more too. Just looked at Sweetwater and the price of that Shure 44A. And also at websites you get the advertising hype all the time.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KSM44A

The freakin' world of the marketing and advertising campaigns.

post edited by spacealf - 2014/02/14 14:30:11

Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/14 14:32:53 (permalink)
I just posted a review of my $30 Shure C606 in the hardware forum but my favorite dynamic mic for vocals (that I've used) is the Shure Beta 58. I've never gotten a chance to mix the input of one though. Just used them live. Ultimately it seems like I should probably get an SM7b (or whatever they are called) for the studio. Haven't used one but from the samples I've heard and reviews I've read that would be the best for my voice/recording set up/style. I think they're like $300 though so I'll probably get an AT2020 (or is that 2025... I forget... whatever. The $80 Audio Technica condenser) for now.
spacealf
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/14 14:37:08 (permalink)
I have a SM58, and well, it is going to sit there forever if I never sell it. Use it though, no!

Beepster
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/14 14:47:39 (permalink)
SM58's are a great workhorse live, especially for rock, but I think they have fallen into the same "industry standard" realm of Pro Tools except in the live audio world. They have just been used for so long that everyone just uses them.

I was referring to the newer (well I guess they've been out for almost a decade now) Beta 58's which have a much better high end and mid response. They kind of cross the durability and bottom end of the 58 with the high end/high sensitivity of the less rugged Beta Greens. If presented with a Beta Green and a 58 it would be a toss up of which I would choose depending on the vocal style and venue. If I was going full bore spazzo in a dingy punk/metal club the 58 would win. If I was doing more delicate vocals for an acoustic set then the Green would win.

If presented with a Beta 58 in either scenario (or any live scenario really) the Beta 58 would be scooped up in a second. I freaking love them.
Beepster
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/14 14:50:57 (permalink)
Oh and they have a bit of the 57 quality to them too but I hate 57 for live vocals because although they have great response they are far too sensitive to pops, bumps and floor vibrations. Also they break too easily and I've busted my lip open on more than a few of them. It's gross.

Beepster
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/14 14:54:20 (permalink)
Sorry for the shotgun posts but I think another reason 58's are so popular for live sound is they are easier to contain from the board if the singer isn't very proficient at mic control. You can eat the bugger while spazzing out and not totally overload things. Other mics need more user control and consideration from the soundman.

JMO

Starise
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/14 15:02:49 (permalink)
Just lost a pretty long post here on my lappy. I think my thumbs got in the way. I hate when that happens.

Thanks Danny for that advice. Never considered a CAD. I would love to test a few mics but my local GC is usually going nuts with wanna be guitarists and others who seem to have a penchant to create annoying noises for the fun of it. Not a good place to test mics lol. I wish we had something like a Sweetwater show room here and the ability to have a private showing. To select a mic to a persons voice sure seems the best way to go if at all possible. I'm wondering if a vocalist were to sing into a decent spectrum analyzer if that would help to see where the pleasant and the painful notes lie? Or do you think that's going over board? I'm curious that if maybe I could get a vocal signature in the analyzer then maybe I could pick a mic that fits that signature.But then maybe not :)

Spacealf, the mic that you're using looks like a hybrid between a condenser and a dynamic, at least in appearance. It is cool looking. I seem to cater more to black mics. I didn't want to admit this but I can't deny it. I never really liked chrome or brushed metal for a mic. I would accept it though if the mic sounded better and I didn't need to look at it while I was singing.

Hey Bat- I read a misprint and didn't have the time to check it out. In one article I read they called the KSM44 a dynamic. Thanks for clearing that up. 

Here is a great database if you are interested in looking at the freq. charts on different mics.There is some commentary on different mics as well. I think the charts are a great way to at least get some idea how any given mic might respond if you know the ranges of your subjects of instruments. The specs that show the different sensitivities are also useful.

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones

Beep- You could probably do much worse than the AT 2020. The fact that they are pretty much at the bottom of the AT line scares me a little but maybe it shouldn't.

Last night I was browsing through the AKG section and I couldn't believe how many of those mics are scooped in the midrange. Must be their capsule design.

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

Starise
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/14 15:04:47 (permalink)
I think AT raised a great idea. Using two different mics on the same source. Something I haven't commonly done before/

Twitter @Rodein

Beepster
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/14 15:24:07 (permalink)
Hi, Starise. Hope you've been well. The AT2020 was actually recommended here and I've heard the results that the recomender was getting (might have been the higher end version but they said they had used the cheaper one and it was very similar). Either way it led me to many reviews which due to my budget I scour endlessly before making any decisions and the consensus seemed to be that for a LDC in that price range that's about as good as it's going to get. For me I really do think I need a LDC to start with because of the nature of what I do and how I want to record things. I've got two Samson C01's from a drum mic kit but they kind of bite for vox but the condenser action is certainly desirable so I want something like that but better. It'll get lots of use. The SM7b though would really be ideal I think eventually when the cash is available and whenever possible I do try to snag more commonly used gear. Just looks better on paper and there educational resources for tracking/mixing such hardware are easier to come by (which as a beginner is helpful).

As far as using multiple mics to record a single source... I am ALL about that. Many of the mics I've collected over the years have good qualities about them but ALL of them have bad qualities so when I'm recording something through the air I mix and match to what I'm doing and mix/blend the tracks to bring out the best. Still need to learn my gear a lot more in that regard and I really do wish such hardware limitations weren't a barrier like they are now but I guess it helps me learn more about mixing by way of isolating good/bad frequencies and using my ears and lessons to polish the proverbial turds. ;-p
Jay Tee 4303
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/14 17:20:18 (permalink)
Danny Danzi

Also, someone made a comment about how your room can come into play using a mic. I'm not discrediting the person who said that, I just wanted to make a comment that it has NEVER been the case for me in all the years I've been recording. As a matter of fact, I can make any mic sound good on any voice in any room. With the right placement, right eq, right compression....it's really easy to make a mic work. However, the key is to hear something and just know it's "the golden mic" without tweaking your brains out. My point is...any mic will work as long as you know how to use it.

Rooms....this to me only comes into play if you record in a gymnasium. Even there, if you record the mic at close range, how much of that gym reverberation do you really think you will hear in a recording? Trust me...not as much as you think. I put up a test a few months ago with a few mic's in my studio at close and far ranges. One of the mic's was a Logitech mic that was in my web cam. It sounded almost the same as my SM 57 at a distance and was pretty close to the "up close" sound....it just lacked fidelity.

But the room/distance wasn't an issue at all. You won't need to worry about room artifacts until you get a foot away. Not many people I know sing a foot or more away unless they are singing back up vocals in a group. In that situation, you WANT a little room ambiance. But I honestly never worry about a room I'm in no matter what the situation. I got my start recording in the worst untuned rooms in existence. I know a little something about this. :) Again, I'm not trying to discredit anyone....I'm saying it's not been my experience and for a room to play a role, you gotta have some distance as well as room reflections that really make a difference before you need to worry.

-Danny

I mentioned the room, and I do respect your knowlege and experience, so no offense taken, but...

Statement was, if I can't make an SM58 sound decent, the problem is something other than mic selection, one possibility being room problems.

I do have room issues, in certain spots and certain directions, with real quick, noticeable ambiance, especially with LDCs. I also have to sing as far away as two feet, I move a LOT of air at times, and overload my nicer mics. That's with a screen. Good chance its related to the vaulted ceiling config. and/or a floor to ceiling wall of equipment. The stand mount baffle and a remote transport unit made short work of that, but it was an issue and this isn't a gymnasium...I wish!

I also had to snaffle out a strange one...got tired of main furnace issues and installed gas fired vent free wall units as backup, and they RING like a no name Chinese cymbal, basically centered on VOX freqs. Pack em like a kick drum and problem solved, but it took a bit to find it after noticing it on playback.

Prefer not to comp or EQ on the way in, but sometimes have to apply some light dynamics pro to get nuance and full throat on tape in one take.

Different strokes, right?

IBM PC/XT
1 MB RAM
8087 Math Co-Processor
Jay Tee 4303
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/14 17:36:54 (permalink)
spacealf
I have a SM58, and well, it is going to sit there forever if I never sell it. Use it though, no!

Well...maybe not for lead VOX, but ya paid for it, might as well get SOME use out of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33QPLbQi9FI

IBM PC/XT
1 MB RAM
8087 Math Co-Processor
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/14 18:25:02 (permalink)
Jay Tee 4303
I mentioned the room, and I do respect your knowlege and experience, so no offense taken, but...

Statement was, if I can't make an SM58 sound decent, the problem is something other than mic selection, one possibility being room problems.

I do have room issues, in certain spots and certain directions, with real quick, noticeable ambiance, especially with LDCs. I also have to sing as far away as two feet, I move a LOT of air at times, and overload my nicer mics. That's with a screen. Good chance its related to the vaulted ceiling config. and/or a floor to ceiling wall of equipment. The stand mount baffle and a remote transport unit made short work of that, but it was an issue and this isn't a gymnasium...I wish!

I also had to snaffle out a strange one...got tired of main furnace issues and installed gas fired vent free wall units as backup, and they RING like a no name Chinese cymbal, basically centered on VOX freqs. Pack em like a kick drum and problem solved, but it took a bit to find it after noticing it on playback.

Prefer not to comp or EQ on the way in, but sometimes have to apply some light dynamics pro to get nuance and full throat on tape in one take.

Different strokes, right?

Jay Tee....glad I didn't offend you as it's never my intention. However, you shouldn't have to sing 2 ft away brother. Back down your mic pre. If you're clipping the mic due to the signal being too hot, you definitely want to cut that down. Next, you're hurting yourself by not compressing lightly going in. It conditions the signal for the better and stops some of what you're getting now. You don't have to use much...but honest when I tell you, once you do it, you'll never go without. You don't need anything spectacular really. Any outboard rack comp will do.

Or are you saying you're moving enough air to distort the diaphragm in the mic? If THAT is the case, you Sir are an anomaly. :) LOL! (meant as a compliment and with respect of course) I've never experienced that before with any of my clients in all my years of doing this. Wow! I had a girl that was breaking glasses and a dude that made Pavoroti seem tame...lol....but they never distorted the mic itself. Whew...you must have some power there.

But if you haven't, seriously, try backing your mic signal down. Are you using the boost in the pad maybe? If you can, go for an average signal level of -10 dB with a max peak at about -6dB. No hotter, no lower. A little outboard compression using say, a 5:1 ratio removing about -2dB of gain reduction at your hottest signal point should condition your signal perfectly and stop any possible overs from coming into play. I move quite a bit of air myself...so I can relate. For a lil guy, I got some lungs. :) What comes out doesn't sound too good for me, but I got lungs! LOL! What are you using as a mic pre and what is your final input these days? Meaning, what do you record vocals at as far as your mic input signal goes? We gotta get you singing closer to that mic if in fact your room is giving you issues. At 2 ft away, you'll definitely have problems. I wonder if your mic pre is working right? This is definitely strange for sure.

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
ChuckC
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1488
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/14 21:36:11 (permalink)
Starise -  I have a few lower end Large diaphragm condensers myself, I think the crowd here for the most part has given you great advise on it. 
   I have a shure pg42 (probably $130 maybe?), A sterling audio (I think its a St51 or something like that) that I bought used for 50 bucks, and I have a little chinese made MCA SP-1 (Like 65 bucks on amazon right now).  For vocals..  With a little Eq I can basically make any of those 3 sound the same on any voice.  enough so that I rarely even bother changing whichever one is on the stand for another.  So, most of the time I run the shure (I keep it on a stand with the mic bag over it to keep the dust off of the element).  I did several drum recordings using the shure on one side and the SP-1 on the other as drum overheads.... Can't tell they weren't a matched pair.   Now, as you step up in $$ It makes more difference.  I have a Senn. 421 that is pretty bad ass for most stuff, great for drums, guitars, bass, and vocals too.

I like everything I have from Shure (for different applications of course).  I have 4 -57's, 1-58, 4 beta 58's (I like em better than the 58's by a lot personally).  I bring one with me to sing through for every gig.  It has a home in my guitar case.  basically all my drums mics are Shure also.  Good stuff in my opinion.  I have to admit though, I have never tracked a drum kit through mic's that cost more....  Even with 14 mics on a kit
(including $400 for my 421, and a couple condensers as room mics) I have a new/retail value of about $2000 total in all of those mics in use.   but I bet using overheads that cost $4k a pair probably sounds at least a little sweeter!?  It's got to right or why would anyone buy them at all?  I bet the same goes for vocal mics, pre's, boards whatever...  buy what you can afford without the Mrs. throwing you out in the street and learn that piece of gear well, I bet you can make it sound pretty good, whatever it is bud.

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
http://www.everythingiam.net/
http://www.stormroomstudios.com
Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1