Helpful ReplyWhat mic do you favor for vocals?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
The Band19
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2795
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/23 01:20:33 (permalink)
Remember, in the end you get what you pay for. Going low end may invoke the law of unintended consequences. At some point "it is what it is." You can't get a Mercedes for the price of a Kia, I don't care how much lipstick you slap on that pig.

Sittin downtown in a railway station one toke over the line.
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/23 14:20:46 (permalink)
.....but do you need a Mercedes to go the grocery store if a Kia gets you to the same place just fine?

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
spacealf
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/23 15:12:41 (permalink)
And Kia now has a 10 year warranty.

I think a medium priced mic (my medium price) is good enough for what I am doing.
Unless someone wants to give a lot of money, lots of money, then that will be it.
Afterall if everyone used only very good equipment, then people would miss out on hearing lower priced equipment.
And then it would sound different and be refreshing.

rumleymusic
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1533
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/23 17:48:54 (permalink)
.....but do you need a Mercedes to go the grocery store if a Kia gets you to the same place just fine?

A Kia may get you from point A to point B, but no one is going to notice you doing it.

Daniel Rumley
Rumley Music and Audio Production
www.rumleymusic.com
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/23 18:44:47 (permalink)
If Scarlett Johansson is driving, no one is going to care whether it is a Mercedes or a KIA.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/23 19:46:48 (permalink)
MakeShift
If Scarlett Johansson is driving, no one is going to care whether it is a Mercedes or a KIA.

Haha...well said Mike! That's always been my way of thinking too. Sure, super good stuff can give you a "different" flavor...but when someone is talented, it doesn't matter *as much*. The other side of the coin...the worse someone is, the more unforgiving really good gear can be.

But talent....the performance will always set the tone for me. Look at Eddie Van Halen...Hendrix.....they innovated with sounds that will be around for another 100 years most likely. Their Marshall's weren't really great. Did you ever play through a plexi? I think it sounds like absolute dog crap UNLESS you bring it to a volume that would make a bird explode if it flew in front of your cab. The SM-57 isn't anything special...but it sure did help to create the sound of rock guitar.

It's really a catch 22 though...sometimes the sound can make a band/artist that doesn't have much or any talent, other times the band/artist showing talent is what makes them. To me, the key is finding that happy medium. Thankfully for me, money isn't much of an issue with my gear purchases. HOWEVER....buying into hype and wasting money is not something I'm too fond of.

I sold a real massive passive when I heard the UAD plug version....and I got both a regular MP and a mastering MP from UAD all included in the price and I can run as many instances as my card can handle. They sound as good as the hardware units to me...proof that my little Kia (who actually has some pretty cool looking cars now!) did the trick just fine. :) I've heard guys with 10k to 20k in gear obliterate guys with studio's costing 100k. It's how you use it that matters really.

Sure, some gear is just garbage...and when they say "garbage in, garbage out" they aren't lying. But with the stuff that is middle of the road today, 7 times out of 10 you won't notice huge difference that justify the enormous price you pay for the other stuff. Trust a guy who's used both or better yet, swing on over to recordingreview.com and check out some of their extensive high end gear vs low end gear blind tests. I guarantee during a blind test, anyone with a good set of ears on our forum here will pick the cheapo piece of gear as sounding better at least 5 times or more in their tests.

Could they be testing wrong? Maybe...but in my world, if you listen to something 3 times and can't tell the difference, what's the point of going further? You either hear an immediate difference or you don't. If it's that close to where you keep listening over and over trying to make yourself hear a difference, it's best to move on really. The more scientific we get....the more we compare...the more we get taken out of our realm, the less we get done. "If it sounds good it is good" is the only science/theory/proof I need to know...but that's just my personal belief and what has worked for me. :) For anyone else having great results with whatever they use, that's awesome...whatever works and a person can afford is what that person should use at all times. :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/24 11:06:24 (permalink)
Danny, I want to respond to your posts but darnit I can't add to or improve on anything you've said man 

I don't think Clapton or Hendix ever really thought in terms of gear, so I totally agree. They just showed up and bought something that they thought they could use. The artist brain isn't usually also the engineer brain, at least,  most have one predominate strength or the other, so these guys needed engineers to steer then in the right direction or work with their stuff. They probably cared less about any of those kinds of things. The most personal thing to them,,,,,their guitars, they adapted to and mastered well. I can imagine Hendrix coming down from that hit, splashing some water on his face grabbing his axe and hitting the stage. The furtherest thing from his thinking was, I wonder if they have my Marshall adjusted correctly? or I need a little boost in the 6khz range. At the most basic it was probably I have this thing to play and I'm going to play it.

I have no doubt that Danny could take that old Laguna hanging on my wall and give it a soul (tuned in c :)

Someone like Danny who has had experience with all of the high end gear and still says what he does speaks volumes.

As a recordist what are you happy with? I think that this is the question we need to ask.

Are you happy with the mic you have? Great.  Are you happy with the pre amps in your interface? Have you heard anything else? 

If you can't get to a place to test some of this gear then at the least I would try listening with a good system to gear online and reading customer/user report. This can sometimes be misleading because of inexperienced users and maybe someone got a bad apple....usually though, you can start to see a pattern when reading between the lines if you read enough reviews on something, either bad or good. Mostly common sense which most possess.

IMO for the home recordist trying to make decent tracks going too high on the gear ladder sees diminishing returns. This isn't to say we record with cheap junk either. Not if we can help it. 

I couldn't believe how much difference the AT 4033a made in my vocal recordings. I have only done one small track so far with the new mic and it really was worth it. If anything.... it let me hear really how bad things were before but I didn't know it at the time.

For me it boils down to simple math .vs performance averaged.

A high ended microphone for 3000.00-5000.00 american samolians. I can buy six really decent mics with different personalities at 500.00 a pop for the same money  if I were inclined or maybe 10 of the same mics in that price range used. That's 10 mics for what I would have spent for one mic. Keep ur friggin Mercedes....if I want to mix and match I can get a few cheapies (with good customer ratings and reliability of course) have a few nicer mics also and have a mic cabinet FULL of ribbons, tubes, FET you name it for that much money. 

When I plugged my 4033 into my pre amp it sounds good enough that I'm wondering if I should have ordered my out board pre amp. I have pretty good pre amps in my interface, probably way better than something like an M-audio unit. So maybe I didn't need it. I'll wait to see if the improvemnt is anything to brag about. In testing the 4033 on my acoustic it didn't sound as good as the 35 dollar used Sterling mic I bought. You just never know until you mic something up and try it. It didn't sound bad mind you, just not as good.

Here is a track I uploaded on acoustic where I double mic'ed the 4033 with a cheap MXL condenser pencil mic. Nothing exemplary but I'm a little new to this so it should be getting better with better technique. 

https://soundcloud.com/starise/acoustic-guitarsroads-unknown

Here is a track where I played a VST piano and recorded my voice on the 4033a for something I was supposed to play later. The mic seems to work well with a male tenor voice not that I think mine is anything special. The 4033  seems to bring out more of the voice in the right places compared to my other mics. If you take offense to religious music then don't listen. I only have these up for test purposes so I'll only leave em' up for a little while and then take em' down. Maybe this will help someone else in looking for a mic.

https://soundcloud.com/starise/jesus-draw-me-close

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

rumleymusic
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/24 13:17:12 (permalink)
I can buy 40 upright pianos for the cost of one Steinway D, but I would rather have the Steinway.  I guess I am in a unique position where the musicians demand the highest quality.  When you record professionals with decades of experience and advanced degrees in performance, you will notice the little things that make cheapo mikes fall flat.  The differences between setting up $1500 worth of midrange recording equipment or $15,000 worth of high end gear are not subtle.  I am not talking about compressors or plugins used to trash the sound in whatever popular dynamic-less form is popular now-a-days.  I talking about where the pure sound really comes from, the musicians, and the microphones.  Great microphones are not intended to make mediocre musicians sound better, they are intended to capture the best musicians in the best possible way.  

I suppose in some music styles a wide array of microphones not able to capture fine detail are appropriate, especially rock and heavily distorted genres, but if you start recording professional jazz, folk, or classical musicians/singers,  clarity, transient response, off axis response, etc becomes critical.  There is a reason a $200 mic costs $200 and why a $2000 mic costs $2000.  It is all in the details.  And it is the reason I no longer consider cheap microphones, the differences are obvious not only to me, but to my clients.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying an affordable microphone for their personal or hobby use.  And yes a handful of SM57's are found in every pro studio because they are great on guitar cabinets. But a claim that cheapo gear can compete on a professional level with the high end equipment doesn't really come from knowledge or experience.  

I hope I am not coming across as condescending, I just want to state a disagreement with what I consider a fallacy of modern audio production.  

A good recording comes from 1) Good musicians, 2) Good Instruments, 3) A good room, 4) Good equipment, and 5) A good engineer.   If any of those are lacking, the entire recording will suffer.  

Daniel Rumley
www.rumleymusic.com
Starise
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/24 14:02:45 (permalink)
While I can certainly see the benefit of having the best of the best and while I realize that money shouldn't be the very first thing we look at in considering a mic. I think that from the perspective of the recordist who is on a budget certain compromises need to be made in order to carry out our objectives. Otherwise some of us wouldn't be able to record.

I don't see you being condescending at all Daniel. I do think that you and I have a different view on what equates good. I don't think that the comparison of the Steinway .vs the upright piano is a good one when looking at something like microphones but you have every right to your opinion and I'm sure it was based on what you feel are good reasons.

I happen to work at a place where we have dozens of Steinway pianos for educational purposes and I have played some good grand pianos and I have been able to duplicate that sound pretty well with my VST collection. I don't need a heavy piano in my space taking up room. I don't need to get it tuned or watch the humidity in in my room because Steinways are finicky with respect to humidity. Some would say the Steinway is way better than a good Vst instrument but once it's recorded how many people can tell the difference? Now there is no comparison to an upright piano..no way they are even similar in sound. If I were to try and find an equivalent in the mic world it would need to be something pretty terrible and what I'm trying to say is that in order to find a mic that terrible in the current offerings you would be looking at the bottom end of the consumer market. Most mics in the middle part of the market are pretty good but they are far less expensive.

So I never condoned using junk, I suggested reading reviews and listening to recordings using the mics you might be interested in.If we all had high ended mics there would be no reason to look at anything else, but since the vast majority of us don't and can't afford it then we are left with alternatives that surprisingly sound as good in many cases. To be honest I CAN afford a U87. I have the money, but I don't think it would be a good use of my money. I can't justify the cost weighed against other mics that sound similar so I opt not to spend that much money on a microphone.

We have covered some of the things that make a mic responsive to material. You covered briefly Phantom power which is a very important thing. Then we looked at a few mics that use a 2 micron .vs a 6 micron diaphragm. There is a big leap in performance, cost not withstanding, between a mic that uses the thicker diaphragm as compared to mics using thinner diaphragms.Diaphragm thickness and size seem to be big influences in a mic no matter who makes it. Sensitivity is also a factor.

One thought Daniel. I admire your quest for quality and you being in a position to make good use of good talent with good gear. Nothing wrong with any of that. I am getting the feeling that the things you refer to as "cheapo mics" might not be half as bad as you think. If you have no reason to step down then maybe you have never really heard any of these other mics. I'm curious what you have tried that was so bad.

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

rumleymusic
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/24 15:49:17 (permalink)
I've started out in the budget category just like everyone else.  I have owned and used mics from Behringer, MXL, Rode, Samson, Shure, Audio-Technica, AKG, Octava etc.  These microphone range from $100-$600 each and while they are perfectly usable, but the sound just does not compare to say, Neumann high end LDC or KM130 series, Sennheiser MKH 80x0 series, DPA, Schoeps or equivalent.  By comparison, the cheaper mics are harsh, thin, and grainy compared to smooth, detailed, and dynamic.  This is almost without fail, but unfortunately many playback systems, and sound sources in online shootouts are not up to the task of doing these microphones justice.  I am speaking from a position of results from my own work and experiences with these microphones.  

I don't think affordable mics are bad, and as the saying goes you pay a lot for a little bit more.  I am extremely picky about these sorts of things, also scrutinize my possible purchases for sometimes years before committing and ask myself: What possible uses will I have for this? what sources will this microphone be relevant on? what holes am I trying to fill in my current setup? how well will this microphone "play" with the rest of my equipment? what other options and competitors should I be considering? and most importantly, will buying this microphone increase my earning potential?  

I also categorize certain products as main microphones and utility microphones.  I don't feel I should spend a fortune on microphones if their use is not contributing to the primary pickup of sound.  I still keep around my Rode NT5's and Shure SDC's because they sound very good and don't get in the way of the main workhorses.  

I have an overview of certain microphone companies here if you are interested on where my thoughts lie: 
http://rumleymusic.com/mgtar/Microphones.html

Daniel Rumley
www.rumleymusic.com
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/24 16:28:48 (permalink)
Hahah Tim, you're too good to me...thanks! I do agree with you on the other stuff. But I think that's what we're seeing here....people telling you how happy they are with their current rigs.

Now see Tim, in Daniel's situation where he handles loads of orchestral instruments, quality is of the utmost importance because in THAT realm, this is where bit and sample rates can even make a difference as well. He wouldn't want to use the cheaper gear in live orchestra situations but for us that do light rock, heavy rock, blues, pop etc, we can get away with pieces that aren't so great they become unforgiving. Trust me...some of this really pricey stuff can go against a band or artist if they aren't skilled at their instrument. I'll never forget the first time my band recorded in digital...lmao....we nearly threw up because you heard every little thing and it wasn't a good representation of us at all. Daniel would rather mic a real piano where I personally don't mind using Alicia's Keys or something from East/West. If I had a Steinway, I'd use it but so far no one has complained about using our 88 key weighted board along with the sampling module of their choice. Ok, it's not as real as a real piano, but it works really well too and the cost was more than fair.

The same as you, Tim...I'm not condoning junk gear either so hopefully people don't take us as meaning "go buy crap, it will work!" I'm saying...when you get an artist or performer that knows how to play/perform, the capture will be "different" not necessarily "better" all the time no matter what gear you use. but see, this depends on the style. An old 3 piece Jazz band may want to be super pristine...or they may want a little dirt under the nails. This dictates what mic's and pre's you use on them.

With mics and pre's, we're dealing with textures...most of which can be manipulated non-destructively with the right stuff. Other times, a mic or pre IS contributing to the sound which will be something you may not be able to achieve unless they are used. But it depends on the situation. We really do have some nice plugs from UAD that can nail saturation quite well. Not exact, but with a little care, no one will notice but you. So some may refer to them as junk as opposed to the real hardware units. But if the differences are not super noticeable, what would the correct answer be? For me, the UAD gear. Not just because of the price....because it does work and is close enough to the hardware units. Add in the new Apollo and you can use the stuff in real time, so you can literally print with it going in.

The thing with some of the cheaper gear is....it allows a little dirt under the fingernails. You can't allow that in orchestration type situations, but you sure can in rock, pop, some gospel, blues, rap etc. It doesn't have to be so pristine and precise for certain styles of music. When I mention "dirt" that is a bit of an exaggeration, but most times the cheaper stuff isn't as pristine and is MORE forgiving. You want that for certain styles of music in my opinion. Ever hear a rock band sound so clean and clear, it's stagnant and lifeless? Nothing growls and it just sounds stale to me. Uggh...that's the worst!

My whole point in even posting in this thread was to merely say to everyone....don't ever allow price or hype alone to win you over or because so and so uses it. If and when it's possible, try out some gear and see for yourself. Make an arrangement to return the piece if it doesn't work right for you....or work out a deal to where you leave something as collateral and you can try the piece for 2-4 hours or a day. I've done that my whole life with music stores. They'd let me sign something out, I'd leave collateral or they would take me at my word if I spent a bunch of money there already, and bang...you try whatever you want and see if it's right for you. Sometimes it takes time to build that sort of trust. Then again, all the big online stores like Sweetwater and Musicians Friend or AMS have return policies. I return stuff all the time.

That said, I like tube mics and tube pre's for some things...but not all. I sometimes don't even use a mic pre at all for some things and other times I have no problems enjoying the light  amount of pre I use in my Tascam DM 4800 or my Manley or my Joe Meek, Focusrite, or heck...I've even had great results with the pre in my Mackie console. I don't need to drive the pre...I just need to get to the input level I feel is best for me. Using different gear makes for a different sound, not always a better sound. What constitutes better? Drive? Warmth? Coloration? At the end of the day, very few things on the market allow you to gain sound size.THAT'S the stuff *I* listen for.

Sound size meaning, the actual print of the instrument being larger in size. That means, all the other stuff is going to be subjective and of the opinion of a person. What else would be left....this sounds better because it has more low end in it or more high end sizzle? EQ differences NEVER win me over because 98% of the time, this stuff can be manipulated non-destructively. Some like analog and are turned off by the high end sizzle we get from digital. Some are no longer crazy about the duller/warmer sound of analog or tube mics/pre's. It all really just becomes a debate for the sake of a debate really. This is one of the problems with music and production. It's so subjective, at times it's not even worth talking about at great lengths other than to say...

If you're doing music like Daniel, you may want to consider this that this and that..

If you're doing music like batsbrew, you may want to consider using this that this and this..

If you're doing music like Mike Mccue, you may want to consider this that this and this..

If you're doing stuff like Danny, you may want to consider this that this and this..

And even there....you STILL want to try all the stuff for yourself to see what really fits in your realm. Though lots of this gear can be used in loads of different scenarios, I really think some of it is over-kill for the home recordist and "better" will always be in the ears of the individual beholder. :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Starise
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/26 14:26:03 (permalink)
So orchestral music requires a more stringent standard?

Daniel, are you running multiple stems from a full orchestra? I guess a very small amount of distortion in that case might add up when multiplied by dozens of tracks. When I attended the Philadelphia pops orchestra they were sometimes miked up by section, but there are people blowing their noses and coughing all through the thing. Our recordist here uses a few AKG C414s to record entire orchestras and the recordings sound good. Daniel are you recording a movie sound stage? It sounds like interesting work. I recorded a few small orchestra concerts with  a stereo pair. I never considered that there might be stricter standards. What I could see happening is that a well funded movie studio wouldn't hesitate to have only the best. 

I don't claim much experience in that end of things so I guess I'm from the other side of the tracks here.I'll take you guys word for it.I don't really see why the difference is so...well different. I use 24 bit in my recordings and I think there can be plenty of dynamics in a pop recording, although Daniel , I can see why you look at the two differently.Rock music is generally much less dynamic and much less defined compared to orchestra. Jazz and stringed instrument groups need something that will pick up the little minute sounds.

I can tell the difference between a clean rock recording and a dirty one. Some of that has nothing to do with a mic at all and everything to do with the engineer. I have heard some pretty dirty jazz recordings so what I am saying is that I think all genres should be clean and not gritty or noisy unless you want that effect. I hear you Danny on some genres allowing more leeway. If the music stays mainly in only a few areas of the freq. spectrum and is compressed then  signal dynamics aren't nearly as important and any noise is simply overcome by loud.

I think one of the most confusing things about mic selection is- Does it work and then does it work for me? I mean, if a mic is simply a tool to capture audio then it should come right down to simple specs and performance from the scientific perspective. If that were only true then any mic capable of 20-20,000 hz would pretty much cover the spectrum as we hear it. If the response and S/N ratio are below the accepted hearing threshold, if the freq. response is fairly flat,  then any mic like that should work ok for all of us. The only other consideration being SPL. It shouldn't be a what works for me or what works for you scenario. If that is true, then most mics in the mid to high end will work.It would be looked at more similar to a recording interface, just a thing to use in order to get audio into a computer. So in the end we get mostly into subtle variations between models and these subtle variations are what give us something to choose between, or you might decide that the variations are so small as not to really mean anything. 

Twitter @Rodein

AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/26 18:01:08 (permalink)
Starise,

it is not really mic selection as much as chain selection.  What mic and preamp and comp/EQ works on which source.  And maybe not works best (tho that is something to strive for).  But once you learn how hardware sounds (granted, that is usually a lot smaller than some others boast about) you can mix and match to add up those little differences to get a slightly different sound which helps separate different instruments when you start mixing.  Much of it is learning to hear the subtle difference between preamps or the larger one between mics.  Part of it is having a monitoring system that let's you hear it.  You don't need a 10-grand Barefoot monitoring system, but it will speed up the learning experience if you aren't mixing on computer speakers.  They are a good test when checking out mixes, but you ain't gonna hear the subtleties while working. Once you have a system that makes the subtleties easier to hear, you can learn what to listen for.  Once you can do that reliably, you can start thinking ahead about how you plan to use the differences. 

An example - my dual mic'ing of a certain female singer.  A modded Oktava 319 that sounds good and mid-forward.  Unmodded 319s are often described as dark, but the mod seems to lighten the sound, tho not like a modern transformerless mic (even the good ones).  It goes through a RND Portico II channel strip.  The Portico itself is a bit pronounced in the mids.  Sure, it does deep and the highs are clear.  Nothing sounds hyped but the mids come forward - that is where a lot of the volume (as opposed to energy) comes from.   I've used the combo before and it cuts through a mix without getting strident.  I mixed that sound with a ribbon through a warm WA12 preamp.  The ribbon rolls off the highs.  The WA12 sounds thick.  It too captures highs fine, but the lower mids are accentuated.  Not much, but a little.  The ribbon/WA12 combo captures a thicker, darker more vintage sound.  I know words are to music like dancing to architecture, but that is how it is commonly referred to.  It is very confusing until you can hear it, and then you wonder if the engineer next to you is describing the same thing.  It is like talking about color when looking at shades of gray swatches - and no pointing.

For our next song, I'm thinking of switching the mic to preamp combo.  Balance out the thick WA12 w/ the 319, and get the clearest, biggest sound from the rolled off ribbon.  The way I hear the hardware it ought to work just a bit better.  Maybe 1%?  Who knows?  But you do start to wonder about this stuff, and most professionals do too.  They come up w/ their combinations they like, like chef's w/ spices, that they are pretty sure will smooth together in the end for the song.

You can absolutely make a great recording on a basic interface w/ preamps, esp. if a lot is produced in the box (just remember most of the loops and samples you are using are produced by pros on better equipment).  But the more acoustic recording you do, the more that better hardware helps.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
rumleymusic
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/26 18:17:45 (permalink)
So orchestral music requires a more stringent standard?

Daniel, are you running multiple stems from a full orchestra? I guess a very small amount of distortion in that case might add up when multiplied by dozens of tracks. When I attended the Philadelphia pops orchestra they were sometimes miked up by section, but there are people blowing their noses and coughing all through the thing. Our recordist here uses a few AKG C414s to record entire orchestras and the recordings sound good. Daniel are you recording a movie sound stage? It sounds like interesting work. I recorded a few small orchestra concerts with  a stereo pair. I never considered that there might be stricter standards. What I could see happening is that a well funded movie studio wouldn't hesitate to have only the best. 

I would say any purely acoustic music is normally held to a higher standard in the recording phase, including vocals, which is sometimes the only acoustic element in popular music, but especially in classical music.  If the sound is not manufactured in post production, the sound you get is what comes from the performer and the microphone. 

I think I as well as many classical engineers think of microphones not simply as tools but fine musical instruments themselves.  Every microphone has a different sound and can be tailored to a certain philosophy.  The same goes with recording techniques.

I do multi track orchestras, but usually only with between 6-10 microphones, which includes a main array and carefully planned supporting flanks and spots.  This kind of follows in the tradition of the British Decca engineers.  The musicians create the sound and the balance, the engineers captures that balance in the cleanest, most flattering way.  Phase or "distortion" is not really an issue with large ensemble, the infamous 3 to 1 rule does not apply, and we know how to use it to our advantage.  It is fine to use only 2 mics also, 90% of the sound of multi miked orchestras come from the two main mics anyway. 

I record mainly in concert halls, not sound stages, you will typically see dozens of mics in modern film production for the sake of time and flexibility when mixing music to dialog and video.  In fact most of the time, the majority of those mics are either not used or make up less than 5-10% of the sound. 

Point being, the main pair should be ridiculously good, almost always small diaphragm condensers, usually spaced omnis, sometimes cardioid but never XY positioning, sometimes Blumlein or even MS.  It should be able to capture the full range of detail without distortion at high volumes, and generate a balanced sound at all frequencies.  Believe it or not, only a handful of microphones are suited to that task, and all of those are somewhere around the price point of $1200-$6000 each.   

Daniel Rumley
www.rumleymusic.com
Starise
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/28 12:34:08 (permalink)
That sure sounds like a big undertaking. Better you than me :)

I would hate to be the guy who accidentally got his foot caught in the mic cord and brought down one of those 6000 dollar mics. Especially if I picked it up and there were things jangling around inside it.

Twitter @Rodein

rumleymusic
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/02/28 19:32:00 (permalink)
I would hate to be the guy who accidentally got his foot caught in the mic cord and brought down one of those 6000 dollar mics. Especially if I picked it up and there were things jangling around inside it. 

I would hate that too.  Compound that by raising the microphone 14 feet high on a stand that weighs about 2 pounds,  AND that person is more likely to sue you than apologize and pay for it.  That is why all my expensive gear is insured against accidental damage and mic stands are weighed down by 35 pound sandbags.  And lets not forget gaffers tape for the chords on the floor.  Lots, and lots of gaffers tape. Safety first.  

Daniel Rumley
www.rumleymusic.com
pistolpete
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1584
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/03 16:51:36 (permalink)
On my latest post in the songs forum, I used a couple of different mics for vocals. See if you can pick out the vintage Neumann tube U47, the Shure SM58, or the AKG D5.
Starise
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/11 11:43:46 (permalink)
The vintage Neuman was the one on the left with the female singing. Roight?

Twitter @Rodein

pistolpete
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/16 21:07:23 (permalink)
Sorry, I am afraid not. Maybe some of the self proclaimed experts can tell. I love how they run away when put to a challenge.  
rumleymusic
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/17 19:22:28 (permalink)
Sorry, I am afraid not. Maybe some of the self proclaimed experts can tell. I love how they run away when put to a challenge.  

It is best not to run from trolls, better to ignore them.  I believe the correct answer from your computer generated music and voices is: you don't own a microphone.  oops! broke my own rule.

Daniel Rumley
www.rumleymusic.com
Starise
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/18 12:39:36 (permalink)
Well I got another one...I'm starting to wonder if I might have some sort of a weakness for microphones...and compressors...and pre-amps.

I'll show pics if the delivery driver gets it here ok.
post edited by Starise - 2014/03/18 13:56:45

Twitter @Rodein

pistolpete
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/18 12:52:29 (permalink)
Thank you rumley for proving my point. Calling someone a troll and ignoring them because they are right about something you disagree with, is still running away.
However, I am not surprised at all that you are completely wrong about the microphones. I doubt you even listened to my song. The vocal parts were taken from various people in my studio doing sound checks on various microphone models. I like to do that because different microphones respond differently to different people's voices. They all have their own characteristics but voice tones are very complicated and each microphone reacts differently. Here is a hint, the first female vocalist is using an AKG G5.
Starise
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/18 14:03:34 (permalink)
Here it is Pistol, what do you think? The important part is yet to come...how does she sound? I never got away from the idea that I'd like to have one of these. Batsbrew  turned me onto this. Thanks Bat!
I'm interested to try the proximity effect with tenor voice and acoustic guitars. 

Twitter @Rodein

Starise
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/18 14:53:04 (permalink)
Well, here is the first take with this mic. No pop filter. The KSM44 has a built in pop filter I think. You can hear the room acoustics because i didn't use any absorbers for this test. The freq. response is excellent. I didn't engage the high pass filter. This was going through my ART PRO MPA 11 ending up at -6/-8 db. 

This is a 256 mp3. so the quality has been diminished from the original. So far I'm loving it, I just need to learn to sing on pitch. Can't wait to try this on guitar.

https://dl.dropboxusercon...30861263/KSM44test.mp3

Twitter @Rodein

pistolpete
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/18 15:20:48 (permalink)
Good choice. That's a very nice microphone, you should get very results with it. As with all new equipment, you may need to experiment a bit with the various settings and placement.

rumleymusic
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/18 17:40:16 (permalink)
However, I am not surprised at all that you are completely wrong about the microphones. I doubt you even listened to my song.

Sorry, I assumed your music was a joke.  Your right, I gave up listening after 10 seconds.

And I also realized I listened to the wrong song.  So if "track 9" is the correct one to listen to then no, I cannot reliably tell you which one is the U47.  All sorts of different voices make a comparison impossible.  The man on the right definitely had a warm tone reminiscent of a 47, but it seems closer to the 58.  

Certainly if this is the kind of music you plan on creating, then you absolutely do not need a great microphone where fidelity is important.  
post edited by rumleymusic - 2014/03/18 17:58:11

Daniel Rumley
www.rumleymusic.com
rumleymusic
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/18 17:49:12 (permalink)
No pop filter. The KSM44 has a built in pop filter I think.

It doesn't have a pop filter built in, the basket design can eliminate some pops but you should use a filter if you plan on getting close.  The sound is very even and natural.  KSM44's are great mics.  

Daniel Rumley
www.rumleymusic.com
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/18 22:59:25 (permalink)
Hope you enjoy your KSM44!

Starise
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/19 21:39:05 (permalink)
Pete-, I have been playing withe the mic a little more. So far I like what I'm getting from it. Daniel, if I'm careful I can pull off recording without a pop filter. One plosive though, and it has to be fixed in post, so I need to use it more. I read this last SOS( I think, it might have been another publication) and there was an article regarding misconceptions of recording. One of those was that you must always use a pop filter. For me at least, I need one most of the time.

Mike, thanks....I couldn't pass this up. There was a typo in the description. It was a small typo but it meant that only two people bid on it and one of those was me. I feel bad for the guy that lost, but I lost it the last time.We can't win em' all.

I did a hurried acoustic guitar recording so you could hear what it sounds like on acoustic guitar. Don't mind the string noises. I used three tracks for this. One was from the KSM44 in omni mode placed about 18" from the hole of the guitar. The other mic was an EV cobalt dynamic. I picked it up one time in one of those MF stupid deal of the day things. I put it about 10" away from the sound hole on the other side. I panned those two tracks left and right and also have a track that is direct from the guitar to my interface....that track is in the center of the mix. I played with the EQ on L/R channels so that the two tracks are tonally a little different.I made the mono middle track a little less in volume that the other two. I added a T-racks CS Inverse plate set to "nice Guitar" as a send...I threw Alloy on the master and tweaked it some for guitar. Here are the results.

https://dl.dropboxusercon...63/Martin%20Guitar.mp3

Twitter @Rodein

Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re: What mic do you favor for vocals? 2014/03/19 22:16:52 (permalink)
I've really enjoyed reading this thread and like the way it's been conducted overall.

Often these types of threads just descend into a catalogue of people saying "I've got one of these and they are the kick ass best so get one."

There's been some thoughtful and considered responses here that have made it an interesting read.

In my time I've owned quite an array of mics many of which are considered classics today, trouble was they were all prey to being able to generate reasonable lumps of cash when needed and over the years that revered collection just degraded into a few, more modern, cost effective mics needed for a particular situation as and when required.

Out of all the gear I've owned and disposed of over the years it's the mics I've missed the most and not out of sentiment but because I knew exactly what each one would bring and I loved them for that individual character.

The bottom line to that is always cherish and hang on to the ones that make the grade among your collection, whatever price point they come in at, because they are truly irreplaceable.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1