Helpful ReplyWhat's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
Markubl2
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/02 14:02:15 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Talking negatively about specific individual people means one is of poor mind.  As opposed to challenging narrow thinking of some.

And that is exactly what we are doing.  Challenging your narrow thinking.  
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/02 14:09:01 (permalink)
tenfoot
This debate follows the same circular path accross multiple threads. It is plainly obvious to anyone that has used them all (and has no bias) that S1 is not as midi capable as Sonar or Cubase, but it is an excellent DAW. As soon as anyone points this out, someone comes along and erroneously claims that anything that you can't do in S1 is not worth doing, therefore studio one is equally as good, or even better since in the absence of all of those extra features you can concentrate on your music.

Madness. I blame alternative facts:) 

That last line reminds me of something funny (to me anyway)

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

anydmusic
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/02 14:31:37 (permalink)
In the UK a Hammer is sometimes called the "Birmingham Screwdriver" as a reference to making the tool in your hand fit the job in front of you. Sure you can use a hammer to drive in a screw but a screwdriver is better and personally I prefer a power screwdriver, right tool for the job and easy to use.

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/03 01:59:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby anydmusic 2018/01/03 09:08:51
So just to weigh in with my two cents, I found Midi Quest by Sound Quest to be the best MIDI solution when I was still using hardware synths >>  https://squest.com/

I am surprised that anybody working extensively with hardware has not mentioned this program yet.

I have since stored my hardware synths, and am all in the box these days with soft synths.  But the thing that I liked most about Midi Quest was that it offered me the convenience similar to using soft synths with external MIDI hardware.

Being a universal MIDI editor/librarian, you have an editing interface for your supported synths that lets you avoid the tiny LCD front panels and button pushing.  You can save your entire MIDI studio setup with one click.  Send/receive banks with sysex. 

IMHO, I never really liked the Cakewalk instrument definitions feature.  And I have been using Cakewalk for 20 years...  If I was still using hardware on a regular basis, I would invest in the latest version of Midi Quest, use my DAW of choice, and get on with life!!!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/03 10:58:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/01/03 14:16:13
I have mentioned editors but no one seems to be paying any attention. And yes Midi Quest is excellent.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/03 12:43:31 (permalink)
A bit expensive ($149, $249, or $349) if you just want patch name capability, which Sonar already does.

I know it does a lot more but I already have a FREE patch/sequence editor for my rig.
abacab
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/03 14:21:37 (permalink)
soens
A bit expensive ($149, $249, or $349) if you just want patch name capability, which Sonar already does.

I know it does a lot more but I already have a FREE patch/sequence editor for my rig.

True, but Sonar is a dead-end now without further support, and the majority of serious users are looking into DAW alternatives that do not have the same capabilities.  This is an good alternative if you must have external patch support.

Having a patch editor is also a big plus for older eyes that tire of squinting at at tiny screens. 

Markubl2
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/03 14:32:45 (permalink)
abacab
and the majority of serious users are looking into DAW alternatives that do not have the same capabilities.  

Sweet!  Does this mean I'm a serious user?  Can I tell my wife that?  (I went through a little spending spree at Christmas)
anydmusic
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/03 14:47:31 (permalink)
husker
abacab
and the majority of serious users are looking into DAW alternatives that do not have the same capabilities.  

Sweet!  Does this mean I'm a serious user?  Can I tell my wife that?  (I went through a little spending spree at Christmas)

I tried the serious user line once and my wife suggested rehab.

Graham
Cubase 9.5
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
anydmusic
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/03 15:25:50 (permalink)
abacab
soens

True, but Sonar is a dead-end now without further support, and the majority of serious users are looking into DAW alternatives that do not have the same capabilities.  This is an good alternative if you must have external patch support.

Having a patch editor is also a big plus for older eyes that tire of squinting at at tiny screens. 

OK as a Midi Quest I would say that if you only use it for Instrument Definitions you've missed the point. 

It can help you manage Instrument Definitions and the implementation in Sonar makes that a lot easier than Cubase a feature that I will miss.

Where Midi Quest comes into its own, assuming that you have enough supported hardware devices to justify the cost, that of course could be 1, is the ability to manage your MIDI devices sat by your computer. As already pointed out sound editing is made really easy and the ability to undo a change or save a version of the sound before you make another edit really help. 

Another feature already mentioned is the ability to save the current setup quickly then restore it at a future date. You could do this on a per song basis or use a timeline approach. Another trick that I liked with Sonar was copying SYSEX data from MIDI Quest and pasting it into the SYSEX View which is just so much easier that creating Dump Request Macros.

You can create libraries of sounds by device and these are great if you remember to tag the individual sounds otherwise you can end up looking for a needle in a haystack. If you have previously bought sound banks for your Synth you can normally open and manage these in their original format which is useful if you remember that the sound you want came with "that set".

Most of the Editors are pretty well laid out. There will always be some compromises because its Universal rather than product specific. There are also a few different styles so sometimes different elements are displayed alongside each other while for other Synths the Elements will be on different pages. I have learnt that when I can't see what I want there will be an option on the screen that will reveal it.

There are various randomisers and morphing features for times when you run out of ideas and are looking for some inspiration. You can also search for "similar" sounds which is useful but you have to remember that because it is basically a HEX data comparison you get some weird results as well as useful ones especially for S&S type modules. Note that there are also ways to limit/control these features.

What I find really great about it is that it enables you to focus on the synthesis process rather than the specific devices architecture. Want to alter an envelope? It will be there on the screen in a graphic form with editing options. Want to alter the texture of a sound that combines multiple samples? You can quickly isolate the individual samples to hear what their contribution is and decide which one, or ones, to change. Of course you can do this through the hardware but what Midi Quest does is let you focus on the what instead of the how.

They also made a point of collecting as many Public Domain sounds as they could find for the supported devices and creating their own online libraries that you can access via the web (assuming that you have not decided to keep your system offline). 

Graham
Cubase 9.5
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/03 16:18:16 (permalink)
soens

I agree soens. Every device I own has its own free editor if choose to go down that path. 
US $369 for the version with VST editors. At that price you would think they could throw a few dollars at their website, last updated in 2004. Speechless! I cant help but feel they are having a laugh and milking the last rubles from us dinosaurs. PT Barnum was right:)

I guess if I was a power user like Graham and constantly editing hardware synths I may see more value in it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the idea of this as a replacement for Instrument definitions a bit misleading? For one thing, it seems that this is in fact desgined to streamline the process of setting up definitions (patch name export), not replace it.

The other point I would make is that custom midi definitions are used for many live production purposes outside of synth patches. They are just a great idea. Fingers crossed S1 gets them sometime soon.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
abacab
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/03 18:01:37 (permalink)
husker
abacab

You can tell your wife anything you want!  Heh heh...

abacab
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/03 18:06:33 (permalink)
anydmusic
abacab
soens

OK as a Midi Quest I would say that if you only use it for Instrument Definitions you've missed the point. 

It can help you manage Instrument Definitions and the implementation in Sonar makes that a lot easier than Cubase a feature that I will miss.

Where Midi Quest comes into its own, assuming that you have enough supported hardware devices to justify the cost, that of course could be 1, is the ability to manage your MIDI devices sat by your computer. As already pointed out sound editing is made really easy and the ability to undo a change or save a version of the sound before you make another edit really help. 

Another feature already mentioned is the ability to save the current setup quickly then restore it at a future date. You could do this on a per song basis or use a timeline approach. Another trick that I liked with Sonar was copying SYSEX data from MIDI Quest and pasting it into the SYSEX View which is just so much easier that creating Dump Request Macros.

You can create libraries of sounds by device and these are great if you remember to tag the individual sounds otherwise you can end up looking for a needle in a haystack. If you have previously bought sound banks for your Synth you can normally open and manage these in their original format which is useful if you remember that the sound you want came with "that set".

Most of the Editors are pretty well laid out. There will always be some compromises because its Universal rather than product specific. There are also a few different styles so sometimes different elements are displayed alongside each other while for other Synths the Elements will be on different pages. I have learnt that when I can't see what I want there will be an option on the screen that will reveal it.

There are various randomisers and morphing features for times when you run out of ideas and are looking for some inspiration. You can also search for "similar" sounds which is useful but you have to remember that because it is basically a HEX data comparison you get some weird results as well as useful ones especially for S&S type modules. Note that there are also ways to limit/control these features.

What I find really great about it is that it enables you to focus on the synthesis process rather than the specific devices architecture. Want to alter an envelope? It will be there on the screen in a graphic form with editing options. Want to alter the texture of a sound that combines multiple samples? You can quickly isolate the individual samples to hear what their contribution is and decide which one, or ones, to change. Of course you can do this through the hardware but what Midi Quest does is let you focus on the what instead of the how.

They also made a point of collecting as many Public Domain sounds as they could find for the supported devices and creating their own online libraries that you can access via the web (assuming that you have not decided to keep your system offline). 

I have 9XL which no longer runs on modern windows, so I have not used it in years.  But my point was that there are options outside of the DAW to manage MIDI hardware.

I recall that you can take a "snapshot" of your entire studio with the current patches you have loaded (and/or edited).  No need for instrument definitions in that workflow.  Just reload that file for the respective song.  All instruments present and accounted for! 

anydmusic
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/03 18:58:32 (permalink)
tenfoot
soens

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the idea of this as a replacement for Instrument definitions a bit misleading? For one thing, it seems that this is in fact desgined to streamline the process of setting up definitions (patch name export), not replace it.

I certainly don't see Midi Quest as a replacement for good instrument definitions, I like that it makes managing them easy in Sonar but the fact that the process is convoluted in Cubase to the point where keeping them updated will require a bit more manual effort is not going to stop me using them and start having Midi Quest active when I don't need to.

I use Instrument Definitions to help me quickly find a sound that I can use that is already loaded in one of the modules that I have.

I use Midi Quest to edit the sounds and manage what is loaded in the modules.

If I have understood correctly Jeff is advocating a different workflow where sound selection is handled outside of the DAW using an Editor accessed by switching programs. Even though using Midi Quest I would only need one Editor that approach would not work for me.

I have Midi Quest version  11.0.3 which is the latest and is dated 2013 so a few years since the last update. I would agree that the website looks dated.

Graham
Cubase 9.5
anydmusic
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/03 19:06:10 (permalink)
abacab
anydmusic
abacab
soens

I have 9XL which no longer runs on modern windows, so I have not used it in years.  But my point was that there are options outside of the DAW to manage MIDI hardware.

I recall that you can take a "snapshot" of your entire studio with the current patches you have loaded (and/or edited).  No need for instrument definitions in that workflow.  Just reload that file for the respective song.  All instruments present and accounted for! 

Agree that the snapshot is a great way to make sure that you have everything that you need if you want to go back to something and play it back the way that it was.

Where this does not work for me is in the actual recording, I guess it's an example of the 80/20 rule where it is more efficient to capture the idea using a sound that is close to what you want that you can locate quickly. For me switching to Midi Quest to find a sound would probably result in me finding the right sound but forgetting the idea I wanted to capture. So I guess you could say that Instrument Definitions protect me from myself.

Graham
Cubase 9.5
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/03 19:45:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rimshot 2018/01/05 10:09:36
I would say SO3 has intermediate  midi function. The midi part of that program isn't child's play. It isn't an afterthought. In fact it's quite usable for most. There isn't anything wrong at all. Calling it intermediate is really doing it a diservice unless Fruity loops, Ableton, Bitwig, Mixcraft and others are also intermediate. IOW there are only a few programs that could compete with Sonar in midi. The standard was higher than most of use ever needed to reach.

It will probably be a cold day in hell before I'll ever consider Cubase which is one daw some say comes close in many areas when it comes to midi. I have no reason to do that. I have a working copy of Platinum on two computers with more midi editing capability than I'll ever need.

Things tend to get over hyped in my opinion when trying to classify a daw. It was Cubase for awhile and now it's Sampltude. People seem to be jumping where ever they perceive the crowd to be going. A popular poster says, " Hey I really like ****** and there a deal on it right now" People flock to that. 

I won't be buying Samplitude either. Happy with what I have right now. I'm sorry if some frustration is boiling over here. People are overthinking it all. Just get one you like and start making music man 

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/03 20:49:59 (permalink)
soens

For sixty bucks, REAPER can read Sonar's instrument files directly and let you select patches by name.

That's what I did before retiring all my hardware MIDI devices one by one over time.

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

Markubl2
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/03 21:00:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/01/04 02:00:20
abacab
husker
abacab

Awesome.  I told her Abacab said I needed both the Fabfilter Everything and Spitfire Everything collections!
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/03 23:37:17 (permalink)
The other thing about MQ is it doesnt support half my hardware and they arent updating it or accepting requests. IOW, for me it's incomplete and not worth the price of a new DAW.
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/04 00:19:59 (permalink)
Does anyone know if Studio One 3 supports MIDI VST's ?
abacab
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/04 02:01:35 (permalink)
msmcleod
Does anyone know if Studio One 3 supports MIDI VST's ?

Do you have a specific example of one VST that you have in mind?

abacab
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/04 02:02:25 (permalink)
soens
The other thing about MQ is it doesnt support half my hardware and they arent updating it or accepting requests. IOW, for me it's incomplete and not worth the price of a new DAW.

If I was in your shoes I would just stick with Sonar.

msmcleod
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/04 02:08:04 (permalink)
It was a general query really.

I've started delving into VST plugin development (mainly audio VST's at present), but want to start looking at MIDI effects. It struck me that things like sysex, and maybe event lists (as additional MIDI events, rather than editing the actual SO3 MIDI events) could be implemented as a MIDI plugin.

If SO3 does support MIDI plugins, I could kill two birds with one stone and actually produce something useful whilst I'm learning.

abacab
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/04 03:11:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby msmcleod 2018/01/04 13:42:13
msmcleod
It was a general query really.

I've started delving into VST plugin development (mainly audio VST's at present), but want to start looking at MIDI effects. It struck me that things like sysex, and maybe event lists (as additional MIDI events, rather than editing the actual SO3 MIDI events) could be implemented as a MIDI plugin.

If SO3 does support MIDI plugins, I could kill two birds with one stone and actually produce something useful whilst I'm learning.

Take a look at Note FX in the Studio One manual.  Not sure if they support VST for MIDI, as I am a new user.  Probably a good question for their forum. 

But here is a clip from the manual, and I have played around with the chorder, which is fun!

Note FXNote FX are real-time effects processors that change and reinterpret incoming note data before it reaches your choice of plug-in instrument or external MIDI device. Arpeggiator, Chorder, and Repeater are most useful for creative expansion and adaptation of note data. Input Filter is a utility processor that limits note output to a selected range of note and velocity values. You assign Note FX to Instrument Tracks in the Note FX section of the Track Inspector

msmcleod
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/04 13:43:24 (permalink)
abacab
Take a look at Note FX in the Studio One manual.  Not sure if they support VST for MIDI, as I am a new user.  Probably a good question for their forum. 

But here is a clip from the manual, and I have played around with the chorder, which is fun!

Thanks - I got my crossgrade to Studio One 3 today, so I'll check it out. It looks like Note FX might be different from standard MIDI VST, but I'll give it a try.
anydmusic
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/04 19:41:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/01/04 19:47:24
soens

Contacted Sound Quest today and a new version of Midi Quest is coming....

Graham
Cubase 9.5
Markubl2
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/04 21:48:36 (permalink)
anydmusic
soens

I looked at it as well - none of my four devices are currently supported.   Actually, they provided me a list of supported devices, and it looks like nothing released in the last 5-6 years is supported.  And zero Nord devices.  Odd.
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/04 23:14:06 (permalink)
there doesn't seem to be ANY trouble with studio one and midi............?!

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/04 23:19:01 (permalink)
husker
abacab
husker
abacab

Awesome.  I told her Abacab said I needed both the Fabfilter Everything and Spitfire Everything collections!

Never hold back !!! That's the secret of good Health :) 

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
anydmusic
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2018/01/05 11:13:33 (permalink)
husker
anydmusic
soens

I looked at it as well - none of my four devices are currently supported.   Actually, they provided me a list of supported devices, and it looks like nothing released in the last 5-6 years is supported.  And zero Nord devices.  Odd.

Big problem for Sound Quest has been the increasing number of Synths that ship with a free Editor even if its a cut down one with a chargeable upgrade. Sadly this means that over time the strength of the product has become its support for legacy hardware.

I know that Uni Quest was an attempt to address this by using their technology to deliver an Editor that the manufacturer could ship with the Synth with the benefit that the support was then available if the main product. They seem to have had some success with this but it is limited as far as I can tell.

Also things have changed so much over the years. When I first started using Midi Quest it was to help me get as much as I could out of what as a comparatively limited setup with many Synths having a limited number of Presets (at least in comparison to what is available today). I had limited Polyphony used tape for Audio and Cakewalk was MIDI only. There were also no VST Instruments. Having less choice meant more creativity or at least more work.

I typically use the Rhodes Sound as example for discussion. In the "old days" I had two go Synths that I would use for this with a handful of patches to use as a start point. With Midi Quest I would edit existing sounds and create new ones with varying degrees of success. Today I have more Rhodes sounds that I could ever have imagined including Lounge Lizard and what I end up doing now not really sound programming its sound tweaking. Of course the other creative part of this type of discussion is the new sounds that were created when people "failed" to create the sound they wanted OB Brass and DX Piano sounds are just two examples of this.

As we have seen from the demise of Cakewalk we are consumers in a small market and creating a product with a broad appeal that is unique and competitively priced is really hard. Arguably Sonar has a more complete MIDI implementation than Studio One yet Studio One does enough for a lot of users so what makes Sonar unique in this context effectively has no value to them. In a nutshell that's the Instrument Definition discussion, the feature has a value to me and some others but has no value to others. It is unique but has limited appeal/value.

I'm interested to see what the next version of Midi Quest has to offer based on experience I expect that there will be enough to justify an upgrade, for those of us who still enjoy using MIDI, I think the challenge is will there be enough to attract new users.

Graham
Cubase 9.5
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1