Helpful ReplyWhat's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI?

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
2017/11/24 00:37:51 (permalink)

What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI?

I've installed the demo but I can't get to it until the weekend. I keep hearing "...the MIDI implementation will be a disappointment after SONAR." Is this true? What is it that doesn't work? I don't do orchestral stuff. I'm a guitar player, so I mostly use MIDI bass, piano and synth pads. What should I be testing for?

Hope I'm phrasing my question right. Thanks!

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 00:39:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby stratman70 2017/11/24 00:44:21
Sonar was built from the core of a Midi sequencer that had audio added to it.

Studio One was written for audio and has very limited Midi by comparison.

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 00:48:46 (permalink)
But what exactly does that mean  What is limited about it or what does Sonar have that S1 doesn't?

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 00:49:20 (permalink)
The bottom line is that it lacks a lot of the functions that have been available in Sonar for a long time. As far as bugs go, the current updates to lower the latency of the audio engine when used in conjunction with their Quantum interfaces has left a few hiccups. Copy/paste and rendering when using automation is hit or miss. Also, the program skips reading random midi notes since the last update. Studio One has great development though, and I'm sure they'll get it sussed. 

To expand the MIDI functionality of Studio One, check out the Studio One X addon.*

*(I originally posted the link to Studio One X, but it looks like the site has been gone for days)

If you're seriously into MIDI, you're much better off with Cubase. The timing and functionality has been rock solid here.

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
Primetime
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 142
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 00:52:40 (permalink)
Larry,
I you're a guitar player who uses basic midi for bass, piano and softsynths, don't panic, Studio One is more than capable, I've been using it off and on for some time now, and haven't had any issues
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 00:53:47 (permalink)
I've been talking to Rick Naqvi, VP of sales at PreSonus.  They will be announcing a special offer for Sonar users on Tuesday.

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Larry Jones
  • Total Posts : 834
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 01:09:54 (permalink)
Karyn
I've been talking to Rick Naqvi, VP of sales at PreSonus.  They will be announcing a special offer for Sonar users on Tuesday.

Isn't that the day after their $199 Black Friday deal expires? Why do these decisions always have to be made so difficult?

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 01:12:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rtucker55 2017/11/24 01:19:16
dwardzala
But what exactly does that mean  What is limited about it or what does Sonar have that S1 doesn't?

A lot more depth in MIDI in Sonar and in Cubase. An example would be if you have an external MIDI device and you want to control some of the routing or patch selection of an external device (or devices), or different MIDI channels of them, from within the DAW. This is something Sonar and Cubase can easily do. That's just one example. If you're only using softsynths within the DAW then this is not as much of a factor.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
Rasure
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 01:24:58 (permalink)
Does anyone happen to know the midi clock PPQN of S1? did a google search but couldn't really find anything.

[ASUS Z97-K 3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4590]
[16 Gig Ram]
[NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050 Ti 1920 X 1080]
[Windows 10 Pro x64]
[Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime]
[Studio One 4 Pro]
[Notion 6]
[Waves Mercury + Abbey Road & SSL Collection V10]
[Mackie Onyx 400f]

YouTube | 10% Off Waves | Rasuresphere II Omnisphere Library & Midi Stems
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 01:36:32 (permalink)
It depends on what you want, for me I can do everything I desire, then I'm not that heavy into midi,  but I do Drums and a bit of keyboard/synth stuff, I have no issues with it. The BEST and ONLY thing to do is find out for YOURSELF, try it, don't worry about what anyone else says, either negative or positive, THEY are not YOU. If it happens not to suit your needs, try something else, you will find something suitable.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

denverdrummer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 278
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 02:21:05 (permalink)
dwardzala

support for real hardware with Midi, for starters.  You may have a need to slave an external sequencer to your DAW.  You simply cannot do it in Studio One.

Another example would be when I output my V-drums to multi out in Addictive Drums.  In Sonar it's a snap, just adding an instrument track with AD and selecting all synth outputs, then in AD, I just select which midi output to send each instrument to.  In Studio One I have to go to every freaking track and select the midi output for each track.

You have to keep in mind, S1 was build as a primary audio recorder for PreSonus hardware, where most of the time you are capturing real Audio.  Midi was just slapped on as an afterthought.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 05:11:44 (permalink)
I find setting up MIDI and instruments in SO3 is a bit convoluted compared with Sonar. It can be done but there's a learning curve. It's nowhere near as intuitive as Sonar. The top 3 MIDI DAWs are probably Sonar, ProTools, and Cubase. Not necessarily in that order.

Somewhere else on this forum a user posted a video link comparing the PRV of 3 or 4 DAWs that was useful.
denverdrummer
  • Total Posts : 278
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 05:22:33 (permalink)
soens
I find setting up MIDI and instruments in SO3 is a bit convoluted compared with Sonar. It can be done but there's a learning curve. It's nowhere near as intuitive as Sonar. The top 3 MIDI DAWs are probably Sonar, ProTools, and Cubase. Not necessarily in that order.

Somewhere else on this forum a user posted a video link comparing the PRV of 3 or 4 DAWs that was useful.

You hit the nail on the head.  A lot of stuff can be done in SO3, but not without a lot of tinkering.

I would disagree that Pro Tools is a Midi DAW, in fact Pro Tools is one of the worst Midi DAW's.  Pro Tools is more similar to S1 in that it was built primarily for mixing audio, and added Midi later on.  Editing velocities in ProTools is an exercise in futility, you have to individually click and drag the velocities on each individual note.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 06:05:31 (permalink)
Well, I did say probably. And only after watching the video, which put Cubase on top. I'll know more after trying out the demos.
Amicus717
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 06:43:01 (permalink)
I was fiddling around with midi in Studio One this evening, and while I've had worse experiences, I still wasn't overly impressed with it. This is no small thing, as I am almost entirely in the box - I do symphonic and hybrid stuff, virtually 100% soft-synths. I think I picked up a microphone and recorded an audio track once, last year. So, solid midi implementation is utterly essential for me.

It wasn't that hard to get one instance of Kontakt going with four patches from 8dio legato strings and four corresponding midi tracks; along with an instance of Play and one French horn patch. I do like the drag and drop routine - just pull Kontakt onto the track view and there it is. I put the Kontakt midi tracks into their own folder. It worked ok, but it was not as elegant as Sonar, nor was the visual layout and organization as clear to look at. Trying to bounce the tracks down was a PIA, and I still can't figure out how to print a midi track to audio with the effects send included (I was using one effects bus for reverb). I did a bit of editing in the PRV, and it was ok-ish. It was intuitive enough, but clunky and imprecise. And the results just did not sound the same. I don't mean audio quality, but I just couldn't quite get the same midi playback that I'm used to in Sonar. I loaded up a violin run patch from Hollywood strings, and did a few James Horner-esque Wrath of Khan violin runs, and while they worked well enough, they didn't sound the same as when I build them in Sonar. They lacked a certain dynamic flair, and were too smeary. Or something. I dunno. Probably, I simply need to get used to how SO3's midi implementation is calibrated, and adjust my midi input accordingly. 

I realize that part of my frustration is simply a matter of learning curve, combined - I suspect - with no small amount of unhappiness over why I am trying Studio One at all. But Sonar makes it so easy to do stuff -- bounce tracks, edit the PRV, setup multitimbral instances of Kontakt and Play, etc. -- and I am utterly comfortable using it. I don't want to learn a new program. I have been planning to stick with Sonar for the time being anyway, but when we got confirmation that Sonar refugee pricing for SO3 was going to be offered, I felt that I should at least try it out. Well, it did not change my mind. I will stay the course until Sonar breaks.

So, to sum up: SO3 has a reasonably full set of tools for ITB midi stuff, but they are not nearly as refined or well thought out as Sonar's, and they require more work to setup and fine-tune. 

For what it is worth, though, SO3's midi implementation is an exercise in concise brilliance when compared to Samplitude's. I own Samplitude, and have used it enough to develop a good basic understanding of it, so I figured it might be worth trying as a primary replacement for Sonar. So I've been really digging into the program this week. Tonight, I spent an hour trying to figure out how to set up a multitimbral instance of Kontakt, and I thought at one point I was going to have an aneurism. The GUI designers at Samplitude put extra effort into making the process as unintuitive as possible without actually breaking the software. 

All this just drives home how much we've lost with Cakewalk's demise, frankly. 

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
aghschwabe
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 07:02:32 (permalink)
When CW offered lifetime subscriptions, I started looking at other DAW's. Today, I can tell you that the latest up date of Studio One 3.5 is no slouch. Midi implementation, especially for composition in arrangement mode and scratch pads are ridiculous. Plugs are drag and drop (everything is drag and drop). Plugs are solid, the included sampler is very good, and for the low price of half off (and rumours of a discount for CW refugees) at the moment.

I will say that my work is very much either audio or MIDI composition/production. Studio One 3 is better at most things that count for me (stability, latency, support etc - the PreSonus community is good).

I've been through it before (not with a DAW) and I'm sure I'll have to go through it again. Cakewalk is fine, but it's on the stagnation path. The product's stability isn't matched by the company's stability, and for me (especially since I'm starting a two year project), that really matters. So I'm formally finishing up my last projects in SPlat. Everything new will be done in S1. 

All that said, is S1 all that and a bag of chips? Yeah, it's pretty solid. The interface is infinitely more navigable. There are multiple ways to navigate, I love the zero latency mode, latency monitoring, project mode. Like, it's a really serious tool. I have to say, for me personally, the interface delivers on a really smooth workflow. I used to record simple tracks in Sound Forge because I found Sonar really cranky about attaching to my outboard gear. The few times I did, I still exported to Sound Forge to speed up editing interviews. In S1 I do everything in S1. There's no need to round trip...I just go into edit mode and use the editor (which as some pretty slick features).

As for MIDI, I'm not sure what MIDI features you're missing, but it might be advisable to do a deep dive before you discount S1. I'm finding the quantize, and other performance tools really interesting (the equivalent of Sonar's midi process tools are the same, but a little different).

That's the best way to explain the difference between any two DAWs: the same, but different. Professionals use both. Amateurs use both. You can do 99.8% of exactly the same things between them. The difference is how the software lets you do your job, and how it handles its job. To me S1 is superior, but that's just me.

I've been with Cakewalk since whatever the DOS version bundled with a Soundblaster was. Seriously, like, 26ish years? I'm comfortable with it. It's fun. It's easy. It's mostly reliable (though progressively less in the last couple updates). I'm a little nostaglic, but mostly I worry about the staff. 

As for the company, I found it interesting the CTO (head code monkey) made the announcement. I wonder if it wasn't a matter of "we can re-fresh the code, but we need to invest in it." Gibson is like the borg: acquire, consume, expel.

In any case, we're all in the same boat. It's not like Sonar is suddenly dead. It's just not going to develop. As I've said, my past and archive access will be Sonar. Sadly, but not very, the future will be with S1.

Cheers to everyone for the help over the years (I still may need some as I retrieve old projects). And all the best to the Bakers and Staff and Cakewalk. You're definitely in our thoughts this Thanksgiving.
Kylotan
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 995
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 07:14:02 (permalink)
I don't do a ton of MIDI stuff, just editing VST drum tracks, but for what I do actually do, Studio One has been more reliable than Sonar. Sonar would drive me mad by moving notes into different clips when I nudge them, and similar glitches like that.

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
kapelle
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 07:32:41 (permalink)
soens
I find setting up MIDI and instruments in SO3 is a bit convoluted compared with Sonar. It can be done but there's a learning curve.

Huh? Are we working with the same software? I downloaded the studio one demo tonight, grabbed an instrument, dragged it into the workspace and instantly created a track - it is literally a hundred times easier and more intuitive than sonar.
JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 08:08:34 (permalink)
I will be honest here and say I have only a limited experience with Studio One. I have run some trials, but was not overly impressed by the MIDI handling. It is possible things have improved since then though.

For me the trial period with Cubase (Pro) was enough to switch from Sonar to Cubase. MIDI in Cubase is a breeze, and things like note expression (only with VST's that are capable of doing so) is great. Add things like the chord track, chord pads and chord assistant to it, and you have a lot of power under your fingers. It's true Cubase has no ARA, but Cubase has it's own implementation called VariAudio, where you are capable (with limited success though) to create MIDI from audio.

Keep in mind that there is one thing that Sonar does better than Cubase, and that's bouncing. In Sonar you can bounce on the same track, while in Cubase all audio goes to a separate audio track. This give you more control over the bouncing process, but at the same time it creates extra tracks that can take some extra effort to sort out.
Thedoccal
  • Total Posts : 290
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 08:19:00 (permalink)
I have found nothing in the midi department so far that Sonar did that S1 can't do.
The problem is layout and execution of editing, routing, etc.  A different mind created S1 and it took me some video watching to see where everything was laid out.

http://www.catastrophelounge.com
The NeckDive Strap - NEW^^
Sonar: Platinum Lifetime/Computer: i7-870, 16GB RAM, AMD R9 380 graphics, Windows 10 (Pro x64)/500gb SSD C:, Barracuda sample(3T) and projects(1T) drives/3 Display Monitors (2&3 split)/Audio Interface: Behringer UFX1604 USB/Firewire/USB Stick/MIDI: Roland A-800Pro, Keystation Pro 88, Roland UM-3G:/Hardware Synths: Korg M3, Yamaha MOX6, Roland TD-8
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 08:39:34 (permalink)
Rasure
Does anyone happen to know the midi clock PPQN of S1? did a google search but couldn't really find anything.

http://answers.presonus.com/6747/shortest-midi-quantization-in-studio-one
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?p=110476&sid=d896e32e0512a325035712e221e1ddd0

just a sec

JoeOss
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 08:49:11 (permalink)
Looked at plenty on youtube last night and seems to do everything I need it for and a bit more.
musichoo
  • Total Posts : 811
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 09:02:55 (permalink)
I have started to use S1 2 months ago after struggling with sonar crashing. S1 has real time quantize feature that is very nice. Basically means you let the midi play along and play with the quatize strength still you hear what you are looking for. That is gold.

Sonar Platinum. Win7 64bit. i7 CPU 4770. 14 Gig RAM. Roland A500Pro controller keyboard. Korg Krome 88. M-audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard, Focusrite 18i8, Roland UA25EX. Ivory II, True Piano, Addictive Keys, Synthmaster, Harmor, Zeta +2, Lounge Lizard 4, Geist, Miroslav 2, Sample Tank 3. Kaiser grand piano. Shure KSM137 x2. Wave's Renaissance and Gold. Breeze. ST3. Pianoteq 5. AD2.Aether Reverb, Dune2 , Reason 10 and Komplete 10 Ultimate, Syntronik, O8N2 adv, Studio one 3.5 Pro.

https://etherealpiano.bandcamp.com/
red_dwarf
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 09:49:57 (permalink)
Studio one currently has a bug where midi notes are occasionally missed - 
See Presonus Answers - 
21036/some-notes-are-not-being-triggered-after-update-to-3-5-2-44603?show=21036#q21036

There are ways round it - using the previous version, or starting the song pointer at bar 2 seems to do the trick, and I'm sure Presonus will get it fixed at some point.

Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 09:53:39 (permalink)
It only occurs when you have a looped section once it starts to play over again. And only occurs if you start playback from 0 as far as I know. So it's easy to avoid. They said they have fixed it an update is on its way.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 10:53:42 (permalink)
This doesn't exactly answer the question, but Cubase and Cakewalk were the big names in computer midi sequencing when I was cutting my teeth (I was still using C-lab Notator on an Atari ST). They added audio later. So their heritage was in midi.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
sonarman1
  • Total Posts : 255
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 12:10:12 (permalink)

Tonight, I spent an hour trying to figure out how to set up a multitimbral instance of Kontakt, and I thought at one point I was going to have an aneurism. 

Setting up multitimbral instance is actually very easy in S1. You just have to click some check boxes in the mixer and it will create all the output channels you tick. You can also untick any time later to remove any channel. 
fitzj
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1487
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 13:08:03 (permalink)
Get Notion, complete integration with Presonus.
Skyline_UK
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 15:07:34 (permalink)
Thedoccal
I have found nothing in the midi department so far that Sonar did that S1 can't do.
The problem is layout and execution of editing, routing, etc.  A different mind created S1 and it took me some video watching to see where everything was laid out.

S1 doesn't have Instrument Definition files so you can talk from within the application to external MIDI hardware like workstations and drum machines and pick/audition patches on the fly from the track, etc.  Cubase has this, due to its roots also being in the heyday of MIDI.  I use S1 as well as Sonar - S1 when my project is mostly audio.  An S1 user did write a usable plugin for instrument definitions a couple of years ago but I seem to have lost it now.

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
+ too many other plugins
BandLab page
skinnybones lampshade
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 530
Re: What's the Trouble With Studio One and MIDI? 2017/11/24 16:51:36 (permalink)
Well, for me the absence of ARA is the major, probably eliminating, negative about Cubase. I use Melodyne Editor often, and it's frustrating when it doesn't integrate smoothly.

***So, since S1 does have full integration with Melodyne, I'm wondering if anybody would know about S1 and whether it offers these more trivial (yet still coveted by me) features:

1) Varispeed (the "chipmunk effect" originally achieved by recording with the tape running slower and then playing back at normal speed) ?

2) Negative measure numbering (The ability to have measure one in the DAW line up with measure one in the written score; if there's material played in the measure before the downbeat of measure one, it's displayed as occurring in measure negative 1, and not as if it is played in measure (positive) 1.) ?

3) Custom track colour strips (I think the answer to this one is yes, but from quick peeks at Studio One this morning, the overall "look" of Studio One does seem a bit chaotic.) ?

4) Are the menus intuitive?

I know this question is impossible to answer objectively, but maybe someone might have an opinion on the following scenario: Let's say a musician inexperienced with recording on any DAW has the chance to use either Sonar Platinum or Studio One Pro for an evening.

He or she hopes to record (alone) a fairly simple short song including, say, acoustic guitar, bass, piano, a couple of voices and a Kontakt synth patch, maybe just add a little reverb, then mix and export the resulting song.

Which DAW would likely take him/her less time to work out how to achieve this, Sonar Platinum or Studio One Pro?*** 

I can use Sonar pretty well (ok, I admit it, not really ) but I'm wondering whether Studio One may be relatively more or less complicated (difficult to "get going" with) overall.

Thanks for wading through this!
LJ

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1