Helpful ReplyWhere are you in your search for a new DAW?

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
2017/11/24 16:39:34 (permalink)

Where are you in your search for a new DAW?

Ok, I've licked my wounds and gone to grief counseling.  Now I'm preparing to move on.  Sort of.

I'm looking for any input you have about which other Daws you've test driven.  Negatives and positives are welcome. 
As for me:

Studio One 3 (Why don't they just call it "Studio" and then add the version number?  I.e. "Studio 3".  Anyway . . . )  -I like it.  Very intuitive.  I gave it the Jude "Idjut-Test" which is, "how much can I use this thing without referring to the manual".  I was able to record audio/midi, add plugins and do basic editing after about 10 minutes.  It's a front runner right now.
Sampletude -No.  just no.  Others seem to love it.  I'd appreciate some feedback here.
Reaper -It feels "basic".  Hard to explain, but sort of "no elegance".  It's sort of like that blind date you had in college.  She was nice and reasonably attractive, but lacked that je ne c'est quoi.  But then it's only $60.  I'll definitely look at it more.  Apparently, you can customize it to your liking.  That's a big plus.

Where are the rest of you guys?

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/24 16:51:14 (permalink)
Going fully to Cubase. It has everything and more of what I'm needing to write, create, produce. It's a full program. One of the big three DAWs. So I've already gotten into it and I like it. A lot! It looks good. It has an easy on the eyes coloring scheme. The tracks, mixing console, navigation are all well thought out. There are tons of YouTube and training materials on it.

StudioOne clearly has energy and momentum, and what appears as a fan base from Sonar refugees.

I am also going to take advantage of the StudioOne crossgrade sale next week to get it at a compelling price. I'll learn it so that I can hang with the crowd. But Cubase is what I'll be creating music in.

To take it further, I may create my next 5 songs in both Cubase and StudioOne and truly evaluate my experience and final decision which is best for me for the next 20 years or however long it will be viable. Here's hoping for another long platform. Cakewalk and Sonar have been great.
post edited by lawajava - 2017/11/24 19:30:31

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/24 17:00:14 (permalink)
20 years?!

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Genghis
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 827
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/24 17:08:41 (permalink)
Switched over to Studio One as my main DAW over a year ago.  Gradual transition that started with experimentation with that and Reaper over 3 years ago.  I found Studio One more intuitive, and then watched some Groove 3 videos to fill in the gaps.  Watching videos for Reaper made me feel like it was made by tweakers for tweakers.  It had kind of a "hey, look how I can be modified to do anything for anybody, by anybody who has time to dig in and make it do it."

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
My Music is Here
Studio Cat DAW
Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/24 17:15:38 (permalink)
I am staying with Sonar as my main Daw of choice, however, I am investing $29.99 in Harrison Mixbus 4 to check out it's mixing capabilities.   Sonar isn't broken so there is no reason to stop using it.  Cakewalk will stop production on it's software line up, but that doesn't affect me in any way.

Now if Microsoft changes Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum has to be modified, then I'll have to move on down the road to maybe Studio One who will have support for their product.  However, ....until that time arrives,  Sonar Platinum has a place in my studio.

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
kapelle
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/24 17:19:51 (permalink)
Genghis
Watching videos for Reaper made me feel like it was made by tweakers for tweakers.

Truer words have never been spoken.
kapelle
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/24 17:22:38 (permalink)
You might want to check out Mixcraft. A former Cakewalk employee that works there and has posted on this forum inviting sonar refugees to take a look. It's a lot better than expected. I really like it but I'm starting to lean towards Studio One. Mixcraft has a free fully-functional trial just like Studio One.
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/24 17:58:03 (permalink)
I am looking at S1 and Mixcraft mainly because I find the Melodyne ARA implementation a must have.  S1 looks more polished that Mixcraft and I expect there are a lot more resources for learning S1.  I have downloaded the demo and it doesn't feel much different than Sonar.  Hot keys and terminology are different, but that can be learned.

I wouldn't normally be looking to jump in this situation, but I feel I am only 25% up the Sonar learning curve.  I could spend more time learning Sonar, but eventually it will stop working due to an OS update and that effort (learning) will have been wasted.  This will likely be the best time to jump on board a new DAW cost-wise due to the crossgrade offers.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

kapelle
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/24 18:09:54 (permalink)
Yeah that's a big plus with Studio 1 - there are tons of YouTube tutorial videos. Any problems with workflow I had with the demo I just did a YouTube search and sure enough I found a video that explained my issue.
rsinger
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/24 18:13:43 (permalink)
I plan on continuing with SPlat for a while. It works fine for me. I've been using Calkwalk products since the late 80's and over the years I skipped a number of updates so I used a given release for a few years. As a hobbyist I see no reason to get new SW. My DAW is running Win 7.1 and I don't foresee any problems for a while. Over the years I've upgraded to full products of what I've liked in Sonar - the Overloud stuff, AD2, and the instruments and fx I use are 3rd party. The only thing I think I need is a pultec eq, so I'll go a head and pick that up.

I've looked around a bit and since I have the plugins I use I don't think I need the pro level packages, I just need the basic recording/editing features. At a glace Reaper, Tracktion Waveform, and Mixcraft all look like possibilities, but I'm in no hurry to decide. I can wait for BF a year or two from now.

Sonar Platinum, 64 bit, win 7 pro - 64 bit 
Core i7 3770k 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gb Ram, 480Gb + 256Gb SSDs, 1 Tb Velociraptor, Echo AudioFire4

anydmusic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/24 18:16:57 (permalink)
Short term sticking with Sonar and hoping that there will be some good offers to unlock some of the locked items like True Pianos and Nomad Blue Tubes. I think Adaptive Limiter needs something specific to Sonar as it was linked to an update so I accept that's gone when I finally leave that said I just got Stealth Limiter with T-Racks 5 so I'll be taking a look at that.

Medium term I'll start to look at options and try different products to see what would be good for me. One reason for not rushing is that, along with the locked item issue, I now have some VSTs that are orphaned. I'm beginning to thing that replacing the Sonar DAW is going to be easier than replacing the Cakewalk VSTs that I have grown used to. If the third party developers continue to support Sonar I can see this being where my money is going to be spent.

Long term, as I'm not going Mac, a Sonar "replacement" so Cubase, Studio One, Mix Craft or something different like Reason, FL Studio or Live. I'm also interested to see what Magix do with Acid Pro. Will probably focus more on DAW features than content though especially if that content is locked.

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/24 18:21:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mitch_I 2017/11/24 19:56:14
In early 2016, I decided to update my Reaper license, buy Cubase Pro, and update my Studio One license (at that point I was just using it for the product page) because I wasn't happy with how Sonar was progressing. After Gibson took over, it seemed that things were on the upswing with Sonar. I loved the new developments at Cakewalk, and thought they were on the right path. I learned the ins/outs of the other programs in my spare time. Eventually, the development at Cake seemed to break down. Once the future updates page was gone, and lifetime updates were sold, I knew the writing was on the wall. I hoped that there would be a down time, and another company would purchase.

Studio One was too limited. I do a lot of MIDI, and use a lot of hardware synths. Reaper was too fiddly when it came to MIDI. The updates this year helped a lot, but I just want my software to work as simply as possible without having to build macros and tool bars. Sonar was still great when I wanted to do something brilliant like drag audio to the timeline for a tempo map, but the drum maps, PRV changes, etc. didn't get upgraded. They either stayed in their clunky original form, or got dumbed-down. Breaking the ability to use both the the piano roll and the drum map view at the same time was a total killer when it came to orchestral work.

The more I dug into Cubase, the more I liked it. If there was something I wanted to do, there were a ton of tutorials and even actual program courses out there. The interface is slick, intuitive, and customizable. The Control Room was a revelation. I've used it for a solid year, and never had a crash. Now, I not only like it, but genuinely consider it the best daw I've ever used. The development from version 8 to 9.5 has been phenomenal. The forum isn't as personable or volatile as the Sonar forum, but I've had every question answered quickly and correctly. I've spent a lot of money on orchestral libraries the last couple of years. Expression Maps are fundamentally part of my workflow. The great experience with Cubase led me to purchase Wavelab, which now works in conjunction with Cubase. With these two together, there's literally nothing that I feel I can't do.

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/24 20:22:52 (permalink)
I plan to keep using Sonar for the time being at least but I am looking at alternatives as a plan B. I am not expecting it to stop working anytime soon, nor am I expecting a phoenix to rise for the ashes, however welcome that would be.

Studio One 3 looks pretty good and it would be a relatively easy transition but looking at capabilities I think Cubase may be more suited to my 90% MIDI/Virtual Instrument work. I have both demos installed and I will be watching Groove 3 videos. I think Studio One would be a step back for MIDI work and Cubase may be a step forward.

I think the cross-grade offers, while welcome are putting a bit of extra pressure on people to come to a quick decision.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
Kuusniemi
  • Total Posts : 490
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/24 20:45:30 (permalink)
I will keep using Sonar as long as I can, but have has Reaper on the side for a long time now. For me Reaper has been a tool for certain tasks since the work flow in it differs just slightly too little from Sonar and I find myself frustrated that it is not Sonar.

I've been pondering getting Bitwig Studio since they released version 1 and felt now is the time to get it and start learning. For me the work flow in Bitwig is different enough that I'm not relying on my Sonar experiense to carry me.

Composer & Sound Designer at Really Slow Motion, Man Makes Noise,  Epic North,  YleX and Yle Puhe.
Johannes H
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 333
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/24 20:51:21 (permalink)
I have been trying a few other DAWs the last two days, Mixcraft, Reaper. Abelton and Studio One, but I don`t think I will buy a new DAW now. I will continue to use Sonar.

telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/24 20:57:53 (permalink)
jude77
Where are the rest of you guys?

I'm in the catbird seat and fielding offers!

Seriously though, I already have a number of DAWs (probably too many), but the only flagship I've ever purchased was SONAR X3 Pro, then upgrading to "lifetime" SPlat. I'll continue using SONAR as my main squeeze for the time being, with an eye out for my next flagship.
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/24 21:35:51 (permalink)
Kuusniemi

I've been pondering getting Bitwig Studio since they released version 1 and felt now is the time to get it and start learning. For me the work flow in Bitwig is different enough that I'm not relying on my Sonar experiense to carry me.

I heard that Bitwig does not support time signature changes, can that be true? it would be a major deal breaker for me.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/24 21:47:36 (permalink)
Glyn Barnes
I heard that Bitwig does not support time signature changes, can that be true? it would be a major deal breaker for me.

If time signature changes are important to you and as a result flexible metronome options are as well, you are going to love Cubase.  However, the really good stuff just got introduced in Version 9.5, so you won't be able to play with it in your 8.5 demo download.
DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/24 23:27:21 (permalink)
Updated Studio One to v3.? (which I really never use).
$65 at JJRShop, that was a no-brainer.
Off to watch some Groove3 vids on Cubase (more "mature" program than SO3 or Mixcraft?).
Will run SPlat as long as I can, but without further development...
Got to come up with a "plan" for backing up all projects.
I guess one could always open any cwp file in X3, save as a mid file, and export all audio at measure 1.

T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
Kuusniemi
  • Total Posts : 490
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/24 23:39:54 (permalink)
Glyn Barnes: I have not delved into Bitwig yet so much to have tinkered with such things. So can neither deny or confirm it.

Composer & Sound Designer at Really Slow Motion, Man Makes Noise,  Epic North,  YleX and Yle Puhe.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/25 01:45:38 (permalink)
Glyn Barnes
I plan to keep using Sonar for the time being at least but I am looking at alternatives as a plan B. I am not expecting it to stop working anytime soon, nor am I expecting a phoenix to rise for the ashes, however welcome that would be.

Studio One 3 looks pretty good and it would be a relatively easy transition but looking at capabilities I think Cubase may be more suited to my 90% MIDI/Virtual Instrument work. I have both demos installed and I will be watching Groove 3 videos. I think Studio One would be a step back for MIDI work and Cubase may be a step forward.

I think the cross-grade offers, while welcome are putting a bit of extra pressure on people to come to a quick decision.

I agree no need to rush into things, and make any hasty decisions.  Better to demo your options for a few weeks, and let things simmer down a bit.

But with that said, since I am also 90% MIDI/virtual instruments, I really enjoyed a 30 day trial of Cubase Elements 9 earlier this year.  I passed up the purchase, because there was too much overlap with Sonar, which I was not looking to replace at that time.  But in hindsight, I really believe that is my #1 contender as a replacement at this time! 

I will add that there are plenty of videos and resources to learn Cubase on Groove3 and elsewhere.  There are also some great features in Cubase that have been on the Sonar wishlist for like forever, such as an arranger track and a chord track.  They were primarily what inspired me to demo Elements, and they did not disappoint!  It's definitely worth checking them out!  Even a few of the Cubase version 9 UI enhancements appear to have been "borrowed" from the Sonar skylight interface...

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
fret_man
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 312
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/25 02:59:28 (permalink)
I'm mainly a singer/songwriter so I went ahead and bought the S1/Notion BF combo from AudioDelux. Even tho Presonus will be giving us a great crossgrade price soon, I figure Notion will not be part of that. So the BF combo price may be better. Bird in the hand ....
Ken Matson
  • Total Posts : 35
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/25 03:04:56 (permalink)
I had just about convinced myself to get Studio One, and I may still do that, but I've seen so much good reporting and comments on Reaper, that I think I owe it to myself to give the trial a workout.
cclarry
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/25 03:07:58 (permalink)
Ken Matson
I had just about convinced myself to get Studio One, and I may still do that, but I've seen so much good reporting and comments on Reaper, that I think I owe it to myself to give the trial a workout.

There's no time limit to try Reaper.  You just have to endure the nag screen for 5 Seconds...
but for $60 there's a WHOLE lot for little.

Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/25 03:24:33 (permalink)
I've migrated a long time ago but I just purchased a copy of S1 Artist, because even though I'm absolutely happy with Logic, I love S1 and I love to work with it every now and then. And because, well, Black Friday...

I used to own Pro, and I'll probably re-upgrade eventually.

If I'd not switched to Mac at that point, S1 would have been the obvious choice for me after Sonar 8.5. I feel it has some of the best bits of all the other DAW softwares but it is still eminently coherent. And it is FAST.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Fleer
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/25 04:22:24 (permalink)
Looking at S1 too but not keen on leaving Logic.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
Amicus717
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/25 04:36:13 (permalink)
I'm going to stick with Sonar Plat until it breaks. But in the meantime, I own Samplitude, and have been mucking around with it on the side for about year. I never really got seriously into the nuts and bolts of it, so I figured now might be a good time to start -- just in case things go south for Sonar as Windows evolves and updates. Samp Pro X3 is pretty powerful, with lots of features, but it's got a different way of doing things, and I gotta admit it's been a frustrating slog getting used to it.  

I tried the demo for Studio One 3, yesterday, and the demo for Mixbus this evening. Both have good things about them. SO3 is the most refined of the two, and while I had some minor frustrations with it, I could see myself becoming comfortable using it. Mixbus has a lot of charm, and is fairly intuitive to use and comes with lots of features. But I found it a bit rough around the edges and buggy. There was a bit of weirdness with my Mackie MCU, and the rendering of midi to audio. 

None of them are Sonar, however. I hope SPLAT stays viable for a good long time, because right now it does all I need, and as long as Windows doesn't throw a wrench into the gearbox, I'll happily use it until I'm too old to get out do bed. 

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/25 04:54:05 (permalink)
I will stick with Sonar until it drops dead,, That might be a long time. This whole evaluation of other software really makes you realize how good we have it with Sonar. NONE of these other DAW's have ALL of the features we've been using. NONE. 
Cubase at this point ,, just reading, seems to be the closest because for me midi is important. I'm downloading it but It's Huge compared to the others at 9 GB,, Last time I tried the download wouldn't install. 9 GB?? it better e good. I have Cubase 5 LE and it's real boring. Came with my Tascam interface. 

I just downloaded MixBus and I think for straight audio it might have a unique sound. I imported a midi file , it sounded real good, I'll give them top marks for their version of TTS-1 but heLI if I could figure out how to edit or load a different VST. I also couldn't figure out how to do simple things like re size the work areas. It's certainly a reasonable price for the basic version at $100. But clicking a mouse does nothing so it's kind of like a beginner DAW. 

I also downloaded Mix Craft. Closer to Sonar in GUI and at least you could re size windows and find things. Much better interface than mix buss and opening it was logical and scanned my VST folders. So a step up from Mix Bus GUI and interface wise..  But,, I loaded a midi file and it injected a terrible sounding synth and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to change it. I tried for 10 minutes. I don't care, if simple things like changing a VST are that hidden it's not for me. Price is reasonable but Home Studio would blow it out of the water. 

Cubase is hogging my internet so I can't try Studio 1 just yet . I have a free version from 2 years ago, not sure it's fair to compare it being it was free so more like Sonar LE. It was like Cubase LE and boring. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

kenny@vhprecords.com
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/25 05:10:03 (permalink)
I tried Studio One Artist 3 which I got with my Audiobox 1818vsl. I like the integration with the AB1818 BUT NO VSTs until you buy an add-on. That was a deal breaker for now. Will wait and see what the crossgrade deal is like. I still use Reaper but not able to switch to it as a main DAW and the same thing occurs with Ableton. Not having a free upgrade for my 9 Intro to 10 Intro was also a deal breaker for me so Ableton will remain as the backup DAW for now alongside Reaper and only when using Push. So! drum roll!!!! I took advantage of the Protools 50% off subscription which is $13.00 and considering I am paying for the Cakewalk subscription (for how long I don't know) I think now is the right time to get stuck into Protools as a main DAW. So in the interim I will continue to use Cakewalk and then transition to Protools -with Cakewalk, Reaper and Ableton being the backup/MIDI options if Protools MIDI is too rubbish. Industry standard swung it for me as well as their cheap price. I will give Mixbus another look. I hated the cluttered look when I demoed it a month ago. 
emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
Re: Where are you in your search for a new DAW? 2017/11/25 05:24:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Marshall 2017/11/25 11:25:45
I was coming from the mere Sonar Artist, so no killer upgrade to Cubase for me. Probably Cubase would have cost me $400 or more. Plus I had Cubase in the late nineties and early aughts, and made a CD with it - only to find out that VST5 or whatever that iteration was had an inferior summing engine. Which they changed. It all kind of sounded like late '90's a$$ . . . so Cubase though it be much improved  would probably just trigger me. Plus as of now there is no demo of Cubase 9.5

I tried Reaper years ago, and thought it unbelievably arcane and impossible for my style of workflow, which demands more or less instant gratification. Hopefully it got better, but I haven't gotten any less obtuse.  :)

Short story is, I demoed Studio One for two days, found everything I needed almost right away, and bought it today. There's a million well done free vids to help. $167 out of pocket.

Will Cubase outlive Studio One, because they have a larger user base and the deep pockets of a ginormous and benevolent corporation, Yamaha? OR will Cubase bite the dust first because the corporate overlords have a rough quarter and need to shed weight, whilst millions of abandoned users wail to an indifferent universe?

Let's face it, we're all just jumping on the backs of turtles in the stream. Might as well save some $$$.

cheers, good night, and good luck.
-Tom

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video
Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1