Helpful ReplyWhy Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
codamedia
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1185
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/06/30 18:47:48 (permalink)
200bpm
I think albums had to be better composed to entice you to play side two.  Today with digital and instant gratification, you just jump to tracks you like so the organizational concept of "album" is no longer as important. 

Earlier I posted about not "missing" vinyl because of it's limitations and the compromises engineers were forced to make - but ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ is something I LOVED about albums.

With a CD, artists (let me rephrase, LABELS) are forcing 12, 13, 14 and even more songs on the CD's and they are not well paced. I rarely find any flow on ANY CD. Vinyl Albums were "masterfully" put together in terms of pacing. It was like a live set list. Grab your attention, roll along for one or two more, slip in a ballad, end with a bang. Repeat on side 2! Sometimes they got sneaky and ended side 1 with a ballad... That really forced you to move on to the next side - you couldn't leave it on a ballad! Those little twists were GONE with CD's. Don't even get me going on Random....

Aside from the Artwork, and maybe even more than the Artwork - this is what I really miss about vinyl.  But nothing else

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
Splat
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/06/30 20:25:29 (permalink)
There you go, PROOF that there are bugs in vinyl!
I'm logging an issue with The Victor Talking Machine Company.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
RickJP909
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 155
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/01 07:46:02 (permalink)
codamedia
Earlier I posted about not "missing" vinyl because of it's limitations and the compromises engineers were forced to make - but ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ is something I LOVED about albums.

With a CD, artists (let me rephrase, LABELS) are forcing 12, 13, 14 and even more songs on the CD's and they are not well paced. I rarely find any flow on ANY CD. Vinyl Albums were "masterfully" put together in terms of pacing. It was like a live set list. Grab your attention, roll along for one or two more, slip in a ballad, end with a bang. Repeat on side 2! Sometimes they got sneaky and ended side 1 with a ballad... That really forced you to move on to the next side - you couldn't leave it on a ballad! Those little twists were GONE with CD's. Don't even get me going on Random....

Aside from the Artwork, and maybe even more than the Artwork - this is what I really miss about vinyl.  But nothing else

Well, I grew up in an age of vinyl and hated the fact that they were noisy, wore out as I played some discs to death, some were warped from new and scratched, 7" and 12" singles were mastered differently to albums and you could clearly hear the difference in volume but I agree there was something about this to love so we share opinions here.

However, I do have fond memories of using them and my turntable which is why I still have around 200 of them with a good turntable, but...

When CDs came out, I loved it as I could play to death my albums without worry of wear.  Also, they were mastered more consistently until we got into the loudness war!!!  I personally loved the fact that artists could now produce longer albums and you didn't have to change the damn thing over to continue listening to it but there was something about that which I did like so in a way, I have contradictory feelings.

I think the revival is a case of how history has a habit of re-appearing as we all love to look back and sometimes it's the youngsters who are simply just looking for something different which is typical of fashion, lets be honest!

I was in HMV the other day and a young sales guy was telling me how their vinyl section is getting bigger as they're selling more discs and how amazing they sound, meanwhile I couldn't help smiling and eventually I had to tell him that I grew up in that age and still have a collection of them but in my opinion, there's nothing particularly amazing as they were always produced with sonic compromises and a frequency response which favoured our natural hearing.

As they say, there's no accounting for fashion, trends or taste.

What I will say though is don't knock CDs too much as the whole market is losing out to the dreaded MP3 download market and soon listening to quality recordings with artwork and getting that whole "you've bought a product, an image and a story" package will be lost forever as downloading MP3s is killing that whole romanticism that we had with music in the last centaury and it's all the fault of the big greedy record companies which is exactly why CD single's sales died a nasty death in the UK!!!

Synth Hardware Aficionado!  Moog Sub 37, Roland MKS-70/XV-5080/JV-1000/JP-8000/JP-8080/Boutique JP-08, Oberheim Matrix-1000, Korg EX-8000/MS2000B, Novation Super Bass Station/A-Station/Drum Station 2/Supernova 2, E-MU Orbit-3, Edirol UM-550/880, Lexicon MX300, Akai MPD226, Mackie ProFX22, M-Audio Delta Soundcard.  PC: AMD FX-6350, 8GB RAM, Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Sonar X2a Producer/Platinum (32-bit).
cpkoch
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 345
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/23 22:34:40 (permalink)
It was a while back  when  I posed the initial questions about vinyls coming back.  As I suspected, I get the impression that nostalgia, forms the roots of Vinyl's comeback. My own nostalgic experience dates back to 1949 when our Dad came home for the weekend from his job in Long Island  with an RCA Victor 45 RPM record player.  It was near Christmas  and was, in every respect, the most memorable gift  I can think of ... especially since among the 10 or 12 albums ( each consisting or 5 or 6 records)  was Roy Rogers' and Gabby Hayes' Lore of the West.  I recently found found it online and ...  frankly  ... became filled with emotion as I recall hearing the "lore" played through our prized  Stromberg-Carlson Radio Console
Enjoy!

Sonar Platinum, HP Z210 Desktop PC,  Windows 10  64 Bit, 12  GB RAM,  Steinberg UR22 Interface Unit,  M-Audio Keyboard Studio USB MIDI Keyboard, APEX-TK -Condenser Unidirectional MIC, Audio Technica AT2020 USB MIC

yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/24 12:19:32 (permalink)
One thing that's missing from the streaming, digital world of music is the tactile pleasure of actually holding an object in your hands with pictures and writing on it that you can look at and read while listening to the music.  And then see and touch when you're not.  Might sound crazy, but it was quite a bit of the joy of experiencing "new music" when I were a lad.

post edited by yorolpal - 2014/07/24 13:06:46

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
lawp
  • Total Posts : 1154
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/24 12:26:55 (permalink)
not read the whole thread, of course, but fwiw i devour music in 2 ways - digitally for convenience and superdjshuffle, vinyl for touchy feely, and gigs for energy, so that's 3 ways

cd's got overtaken by mp3s but people who like to buy music like to get something; digital is only ever an approximation; have you seen some of the new vinyl packages getting released?!

sstteerreeoo ffllllaanngge
lawp
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/24 12:28:54 (permalink)
also, hijacking the internet just to stream mainstream tv/music/films is a bugbear of mine... it's like the natural conclusion of sending 20MB word docs by email... grr

Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 814
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/24 14:24:54 (permalink)
yorolpal
One thing that's missing from the streaming, digital world of music is the tactile pleasure of actually holding an object in your hands with pictures and writing on it that you can look at and read while listening to the music.  And then see and touch when you're not.  Might sound crazy, but it was quite a bit of the joy of experiencing "new music" when I were a lad.

This is the primary reason why I buy vinyl. One of my earliest musical memories is sitting with my dad while we took Zeppelin IV out of the sleeve and I first heard Black Dog. The cryptic album cover made what I was listening to even more mysterious and mythical. It's something I hope to be able to share with my children. You simply don't get that around the glow of an iPod.

Vinyl has it's limitations but digital copies come with almost every vinyl sold today. There's no real downside to purchasing it as a consumer except for it's size and weight, especially if you invest in the 180gr pressings.  
post edited by Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk] - 2014/07/24 16:31:09

Best Regards,
Seth
lawp
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/24 15:11:24 (permalink)
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
Vinyl has it's limitations but digital copies come with almost every vinyl sold today.

that's me :-)
post edited by Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk] - 2014/07/24 16:31:25

Ruben
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 472
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/24 15:13:17 (permalink)
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
yorolpal

This is the primary reason why I buy vinyl. One of my earliest musical memories is sitting with my dad while we took Zeppelin IV out of the sleeve and I first heard Black Dog. The cryptic album cover made what I was listening to even more mysterious and mythical. It's something I hope to be able to share with my children. You simply don't get that around the glow of an iPod.

Too many people dismiss the vinyl resurgence as nostalgia, but there are many younger people who are currently into vinyl, people who weren't around for the popular days of vinyl, and these people don't have any nostalgic feelings associated with it - they have discovered that they like vinyl separate from its past. I think the tactile dimension - holding something in one's hands that can be read/studied/appreciated - is a far bigger reason for vinyl's comeback than nostalgia.

Wouter Schijns
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/24 17:19:10 (permalink)
it's said vinyl - when pressed well and played on a good turntable ofcourse- is surely superior to CD.
to explain, a CD disk is limited to -I think it's 20Hz- 20.000Hz, allthough many speakers, headphones, amps are wider range as those freqs can be heard and are on many studio recordings.

RexRed
  • Total Posts : 453
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/24 22:07:37 (permalink)
I still have over 2000 records.
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/25 09:07:02 (permalink)
Wouter Schijns
it's said vinyl - when pressed well and played on a good turntable ofcourse- is surely superior to CD.
to explain, a CD disk is limited to -I think it's 20Hz- 20.000Hz, allthough many speakers, headphones, amps are wider range as those freqs can be heard and are on many studio recordings.

Whatever the other parts of the chain are capable of, I'd be astonished to hear of a piece of vinyl with a frequency range that wide.

The old RIAA standard for cutting vinyl was to cut off the bottom around 50hz and to cut off the top starting at 12khz. Pretty much every classic LP of the vinyl era conforms to this.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/25 10:08:04 (permalink)
Could the demand for vinyl be due to less loudness on records v CDs?

Best
John
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/25 10:36:22 (permalink)
You definitely can't get vinyl as loud safely. You end up with real physical issues that can make the needle jump out of the groove.

I think that and the thing I mentioned above about frequency range are real factors in the appeal of vinyl.

The fact is, in terms of accuracy, vinyl is a pretty terrible medium.

However, in terms of the limitations and compromises it forces upon you, you often end up with something more agreeable to the ear by default. Everything up at 17khz and beyond is actually pretty unpleasant. Super-heavy compression is pretty unpleasant. And those things are hard to do on vinyl.

CDs and mp3s don't inherently sound worse. In fact, by all measurable metrics, they're clearly superior formats. But people do some horrible things within those formats that just aren't possible on vinyl.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
John
Forum Host
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/25 10:43:04 (permalink)
I have to agree with you John T.

Best
John
auto_da_fe
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1866
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/25 11:02:39 (permalink)
If you can you should watch a recent episode of Maron (IFC).

It is hilarious, he is cruising vinyl shops and even buys a 4K vintage Macintosh tube amp.  All in the pursuit of "that sound."

The funny part is when he keeps sitting people down and asking them if they can hear the beauty....

JR

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
Win 10 64 
SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
https://soundcloud.com/airportface
Ruben
  • Total Posts : 472
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/25 11:10:31 (permalink)
auto_da_fe
If you can you should watch a recent episode of Maron (IFC).

It is hilarious, he is cruising vinyl shops and even buys a 4K vintage Macintosh tube amp.  All in the pursuit of "that sound."

The funny part is when he keeps sitting people down and asking them if they can hear the beauty....

That's not new, either. People were doing that back in the 70s.  

AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/25 11:51:02 (permalink)
In this month's "Mix" there is an article about the resurgence of vinyl and Jack White's latest release.  It is growing market share (up to 4% if I remember right) while CD sales continue to fall.  I guess in 25 years or so there will be a CD revival.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Resonant Order
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 647
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/25 13:51:10 (permalink)
There are some active and very successful stores that cater to the vinyl crowd here in Austin. I see a lot of people 20 years my junior buying vinyl. I also see people my age which is 40+. I buy vinyl because I love the large format, and most of the reissues are 180 gram, so it feels substantial. The younger people I talk to love music, and want to support the artists. In one purchase, you can usually get a gate fold vinyl double album, a cd, and know that you're putting money into the pockets of the artist and a locally owned business. It's win/win all around. My personal favorite store is End of an Ear. Music, movies, books, and a large selection of used stereo equipment. The used cd section is reasonable. I walked out with six cds the other day for 20.00. Some of the titles were 20.00 to 30.00 on ebay. This place keeps my brain fed.

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Music at Night, 1931- Aldous Huxley
kitekrazy
  • Total Posts : 174
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/25 16:29:35 (permalink)
 With digital distribution the same could be said about CDs.

Vinyl - artwork is larger.  I think vinyl users are the last of the true audiophiles. I'm sure they have a lot invested for listening.  They are probably not using the $99 turntables.

One of the dangers I feel about digital music is that it sounds cleaner and we listen to it at louder levels. You would be surprised how bad the hearing is of kids from the iPod culture.  When you are around those people who have to share their music with other while listening to their headphones there is potential for long term hearing loss.

kitekrazy
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/25 16:36:50 (permalink)
John T
You definitely can't get vinyl as loud safely. You end up with real physical issues that can make the needle jump out of the groove.

I think that and the thing I mentioned above about frequency range are real factors in the appeal of vinyl.

However, in terms of the limitations and compromises it forces upon you, you often end up with something more agreeable to the ear by default. Everything up at 17khz and beyond is actually pretty unpleasant. Super-heavy compression is pretty unpleasant. And those things are hard to do on vinyl.

CDs and mp3s don't inherently sound worse. In fact, by all measurable metrics, they're clearly superior formats. But people do some horrible things within those formats that just aren't possible on vinyl.

There is an article one time on Rolling Stone mentioning that most music coming out of the corporate studios are mixed more in favor of portable devices.  BTW compressed digital formats sound horrible loud on a stereo system. The average person is no longer concerned with high fidelity.  They want to hear their trunk and quarter panels rumble or the person next to you at a stoplight has their music up where the speakers distort enough to make you miss the days of AM radio.
John
Forum Host
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/25 16:46:34 (permalink)
kitekrazy
John T

There is an article one time on Rolling Stone mentioning that most music coming out of the corporate studios are mixed more in favor of portable devices.  BTW compressed digital formats sound horrible loud on a stereo system. The average person is no longer concerned with high fidelity.  They want to hear their trunk and quarter panels rumble or the person next to you at a stoplight has their music up where the speakers distort enough to make you miss the days of AM radio.

I don't believe that the vast majority of listeners have ever cared much about Hi Fi.  Its always been just a relative few that were/are interested in high quality sound. First the gear is not cheap and then how many have the ears for it anyway? It isn't exposure to it either. Musicians have an edge because they in general want what they do to sound good. However, many don't care either.

Best
John
Wouter Schijns
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/25 17:08:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby don4777 2014/07/27 07:49:28
I like the vinyl era more too, back then you bought a record came home, sat down and listened to it....doing nothing but listening to the music.
so probably then, we enjoyed it more
technically some vinyl fans say an analog vinyl audio quality can be better than a CD because vinyl can be reproduced from an analog studio recording directly without converters that would be needed for a CD.

Wouter Schijns
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/25 18:36:46 (permalink)
Nowadays there might be machines that press vinyl better than back then.
maybe now vinyl can sometimes give a better audio quality than CD, an 80s analog recording can be pressed onto vinyl directly as for the CD the analog master tape first has to go through Digital/Analog converters.
but vinyl is limited to the amount of music, a 1 hour vinyl loud dancerecord with lots of bass fe would not be possible.
just sharing what I read on the web...

kitekrazy
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/26 13:32:18 (permalink)
 I don't miss spending money on cleaning solutions and anti static stuff. 5 years ago I found a large bottle of Discwasher in the closet. I probably bought that in the early 80's.

One of my Summer projects was to convert LPs to wavs.  If you want them to really sound clean it was very time consuming and had to be done in an audio editor like Soundforge. 

I guess one totally into vinyl would invest in a laser turntable. 
 http://www.elpj.com/  Only $15000.

There is plenty of stuff out there that hasn't made it to CD.
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/26 14:12:05 (permalink)
Just for the record... the vinyl I bought and played and sold years ago have never come back.

prog_head
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 411
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/26 19:06:30 (permalink)
I don't miss the hassle and noise of vinyl... but... 10 years ago I invested in DVD-Audio and SACD. The sound quality if far superior to CD. Last year I saw that HD Tracks and others have started to sell downloads of Hires Flack files. I also started converting a lot of albums into 96k/24bit. No... I can barely stomach listening to CDs and worse. Maybe in the car but even there I have a FIIO X3 portable player and wow... what a beautiful difference. Because of that I started thinking of reasons why... is it the higher frequencies? Something about > 20kHz as we have been led to believe? No, it really is how accurately any format reproduces the audio we can hear and CDs really do fail here. I will gladly explain it if anyone is interested. It became painfully obvious that we have been fooled for the last 30 years. CDs are just not good at representing higher frequencies. My guess is anything > 11k.... maybe lower. There just aren't enough samples to handle multiple frequencies above 11k.

My 2 cents

Guitarist, Producer - Tonart Music
Sonar X3d x64, Intel 3770k, Lynx AES cards, Lynx and Apogee Converters, 2 UAD2 Quads,... etc, etc
http://www.tonart.com
http://www.tonart.com/studio
http://www.zedfusion.com
http://www.singularity.net
Zenwit
  • Total Posts : 191
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/26 23:07:54 (permalink)
The "vinyl versus digital" discussion, like many in life, comes down to whether you want to be happy or right.  Whatever format you're listening to the evaluation should be "am I enjoying this musical performance here and now?"  If the answer is "yes" and that makes you happy then you're also right!

Sonar Platinum x64  Windows 10 x64
Couple of guitars, a bass, bunch of plugins, not enough time....

Zenwit
  • Total Posts : 191
Re: Why Are Vinyl Records Making a Comeback 2014/07/26 23:07:54 (permalink)
edit

Sonar Platinum x64  Windows 10 x64
Couple of guitars, a bass, bunch of plugins, not enough time....

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1