AnsweredWhy Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/10 11:33:42 (permalink)
gunboatdiplomacy
If I had my druthers I'd ban anybody who complains about this again. 

Here here. From now on, we should immediately and permanently ban anyone from the forum that says something someone else doesn't like. 

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
gunboatdiplomacy
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 87
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/10 13:20:54 (permalink)
JohanSebatianGremlin
gunboatdiplomacy

Here here. From now on, we should immediately and permanently ban anyone from the forum that says something someone else doesn't like. 

Better yet, if you have a complaint with Mac Sonar, stick with the other 50 posts on the topic rather to kill another horse just to beat it. 

Posts about Mac Sonar and posts about "I'm finally leaving sonar! Good bye world!" are just cries for attention rather than an attempt to solve any issues with making music.
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/10 16:24:23 (permalink)
gunboatdiplomacy
 I'd ban anybody who complains about this again. 

I think they should ban everyone who complains about people complaining.
paulo
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/10 16:34:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2017/03/10 17:21:04
WDI
But wasn't the lifetime updates offer for a limited time?

Exactly. The two things were linked and the implication was to "buy it now or you'll miss out" and I think that as much as anything is why people are feeling annoyed that questions regarding the current status are being completely ignored.
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/10 17:16:55 (permalink)
paulo
WDI

Exactly. The two things were linked and the implication was to "buy it now or you'll miss out" and I think that as much as anything is why people are feeling annoyed that questions regarding the current status are being completely ignored.

With lifetime update, people will get OS X version if and when it is ready. There was no "when" or even no claims about "if". The only "deadline" which is over is for public alpha version... Are there some users which are ready to use an Alpha version for serious music production? I guess not. So that is all just about "a toy". To run it once, find that it is not yet working right (or not starting at all... not uncommon for Alpha versions of programs).

So all these threads are about:

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/10 17:46:24 (permalink)

Now I can be wrong here but I was also under the impression that Cakewalk had been primarily  advertising and doing a push for the Splat members to upgrade their memberships to Lifetime membership during the introductory announcements from that era ...
I was always under the impression that when SONAR Alpha for Mac was mentioned that it was an added bonus type of thing for the future when it came out .
I can certainly understand how the lines can get blurred to the point where people thought the Alpha was right around the corner ...
I can also understand how somebody with a Mac could have bought in during that sale and picked up a Lifetime membership for SONAR Splat even if they didn't own a PC ...
 I am still under the impression that SONAR Alpha for Mac may still be in the pipeline ...even w out hearing a peep as of yet ..
In addition to using SONAR I'm a long time Magix / Samplitude user . I happen to remember that they were also trying to port Samplitude over to Mac ....for a long time it looked good , they they had to call it a day and abandon the efforts they had already done  

I'm not a Frutty Loops user by any stretch , but I have used their Mac version to get a feel for the program on my Mac ...I do not know where they are at with their development ...F L ran stable on my Mac  ...
I would have liked to have been able to at least save my work for 30 days ...I may have bought it if I had that option and the extra 200 clams ....

As far as all the angst go's ..Yeah sure I feel it myself at times ...A word on how Aplha is coming along is long over due ..
All my midi guitar synth stuff , Ableton Live 9 , Mixbus 3 .7 , Transcribe and Reaper turn out to be  the programs I run the most when it comes to working with programs that are available for both PC and Mac ...
I do happen to LOVE SONAR but the truth of the matter is I have pretty much stopped buying most programs that aren't for both PC and Mac ....
Sure there are a few oddball things that I use that are PC only or Mac only ...or that I may happen to buy ...

When it come to big money outlays , if it don't do both PC and Mac

FORGETABOUTIT

Kenny
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2017/03/12 03:24:08

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/10 18:11:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RSMCGUITAR 2017/03/10 18:57:59
As far anyone buying the alpha version just to work on the mac, that is the kind of person who spends an extra $1000 to work on a mac, not pc.  (a joke, for all you mac users).

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/10 18:43:15 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Karyn 2017/03/13 17:16:12
Hi Everyone,

You can blame me for the lack of news from Cakewalk about SONAR on the Mac.

I re-joined the company back in November and have been working with Management and with Gibson on our strategies and vision for the company.

We've worked through a lot of old challenges as well as some awesome new ideas in my first 100 days here. As we have been re-evaluating our plans, we also got a little more quiet as a company, and communicated less with you all. I apologize for this lack of information and communication - we've simply been focusing inward for the last few months as we've been getting aligned with each other and revising our strategies and plans.

The work has paid off, and we're all at a good place now inside the company, very excited about our future!

As for this specific thread re: SONAR on the Mac, I'm hoping to share more with you in April.

Best,

Alex Westner
VP Product Strategy & Innovation

paulo
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/10 18:44:44 (permalink)
azslow3
paulo
WDI

With lifetime update, people will get OS X version if and when it is ready. There was no "when" or even no claims about "if". The only "deadline" which is over is for public alpha version... Are there some users which are ready to use an Alpha version for serious music production? I guess not. So that is all just about "a toy". To run it once, find that it is not yet working right (or not starting at all... not uncommon for Alpha versions of programs).

Or more accurately.....where's my toy that I was encouraged pay for 9 months ago?

FYI I have no personal interest in whether there is ever a mac version, but it was stated in this forum to those who are interested that it would be available late 2016 IIRC, so I see nothing wrong with them asking what happened to it ? In the last hour or so the forum stickies that have been there ever since that initial announcement have been removed with no update to replace them, so now there is no mention of it anywhere, like it never happened. Clearly somebody at CW is aware that people are asking questions about their earlier statements and quite how they think that pulling all references to it and ignoring everyone is going to stop threads like this is totally baffling to me and shows them in a very poor light IMO.
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/10 18:53:17 (permalink)
Paulo, you was 1 minute late

And thanks Alex for cooling apples

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
RSMCGUITAR
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1318
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/10 19:03:38 (permalink)
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Hi Everyone,

Wow, talk about jumping on a grenade. lol
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/10 19:07:17 (permalink)
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Hi Everyone,

I re-joined the company back in November and have been working with Management and with Gibson on our strategies and vision for the company.

We've worked through a lot of old challenges as well as some awesome new ideas in my first 100 days here. As we have been re-evaluating our plans, we also got a little more quiet as a company, and communicated less with you all. I apologize for this lack of information and communication - we've simply been focusing inward for the last few months as we've been getting aligned with each other and revising our strategies and plans.

The work has paid off, and we're all at a good place now inside the company, very excited about our future!

As for this specific thread re: SONAR on the Mac, I'm hoping to share more with you in April.

Best,

Now THIS is good news. Glad to have you back.

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
WDI
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2069
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/10 19:19:38 (permalink)
azslow3
paulo
WDI

Holy combative forum Batman!

I was responding to Craig's post. Thought selecting respond would insert the quote which would have been...

Anderton
Anyone who bought SONAR based on a statement that an alpha version would be released "to test the waters" seriously needs to re-think how they purchase software.

My point was that the MAC announcement along with lifetime updates seemed was very tempting. That way I possibly could open my old open old Sonar projects on my current MAC computer. Plus Sonar was an old friend. And then I would have a version of Sonar compatible with a new PC if I ever get one.

I  get that it's an alpha and the future for a MAC version is uncertain. Yada yada yada.

And the whole lot of you saying it's an alpha why would you want it, not for serious work implying it will be full of bugs etc. Come on guys, the announcement of the Mac version and all the excitement around it was perpetuated by Cakewalk themselves. It wasn't like it was possibly a rumor or something. The Mac announcement, along with the lifetime updates, was included in Cakewalks biggest (most secretive and  hyped anticipated) marketing work I have seen Cakewalk do since I started using their products back around the millennium. They obviously wanted to get people excited about it. An it sounds like they may have announced a timeline which appears to be their mistake.

Every time I come post on this forum I remember why I tell myself not to. It's like two sides holding up signs yelling talking points into blow horns.

Sonar 7 PE
Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
MSI K8N Neo4-F
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2 GB PC 3200 Ram
RME Fireface 800
Edirol FA-66
CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/10 19:52:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby reza 2017/03/13 08:02:11
Thanks Alex, great to hear from someone involved. Looking forward to an update on plans in April.
paulo
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/10 20:02:34 (permalink)
azslow3
Paulo, you was 1 minute late

I think you'll find that the post from CW was inserted above mine - I checked mine after posting as sometimes lately I've had posts not show up and it wasn't there then ! 

I blame Alex.

It's ok to do that, he said so.....
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/10 20:15:12 (permalink)
thanks alex!

just a sec

ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/10 22:49:41 (permalink)
OK. can we all finally chill?

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Chris J
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/10 23:20:25 (permalink)
paulo
gunboatdiplomacy
 I'd ban anybody who complains about this again. 

I think they should ban everyone who complains about people complaining.

B.A.N.A.N.A.
Ban Anything Anytime Anywhere
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/10 23:38:30 (permalink)
ampfixer
OK. can we all finally chill?

While I don't really care about the Mac Alpha release other than curiosity, I'm not sure that a Cakewalk employee post in one of many random threads asking about an update should reasonably create a mass chill out.

Maybe if they made it a sticky with an actual update. 
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/11 01:47:02 (permalink)
I haven't read every last comment on this thread, but I have read most of them.  It seems to me that there are two main points:
1) A Mac direction was announced and discussed somewhat openly, but now has been "disappeared" from the website
2) This is a big technical undertaking, so maybe this implies big problems or even abandonment of that direction.

I guess Alex has mostly cleared up both of these points. I would suggest, however, that the issues with a launch like this aren't only development-related. While I personally have absolutely zero interest in anything even remotely related to Apple, it should be clear to everybody that a move into this space is a huge marketing move for Gibson/Cakewalk. So one interpretation is that they have decided to scrub the preliminary information from public sources as they prepare for the real launch.

That would be a perfectly sensible thing to do, IMHO, and would also explain why information on this forum would be limited.

P.S. While I personally have no use for Apple, I do hope this initiative is successful because it has the potential to raise the prominence of SONAR in the DAW wars, and that should be good for the Windows users too.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/11 13:15:06 (permalink)
I spilled the beans already in post #58.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/12 02:10:37 (permalink)
reza
...The advertise about Mac version and lifetime update tempted most of us to pay money and use this chance to have the free version in the feature before its gone...

Where did it say that the lifetime update offer would entitle subscribers to a free copy of the Mac edition? I still have the email from last July and there is no mention of Mac anywhere there.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/12 02:57:39 (permalink)
The thing is it was not just Lifetime updates. It was for anyone who who had an active membership. In fact, if I remember correctly it was just free to anyone which of course would benefit Cakewalk in wide exposure.

Just like now. If you buy a plugin you get versions for PC, Mac & ProTools generally and major software packages give you access to both major versions; PC & Mac

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Kev999
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/12 03:40:32 (permalink)
mudgel
...if I remember correctly it was just free to anyone which of course would benefit Cakewalk in wide exposure...

It seems that you're correct. I just found this:
(cached page)
SONAR OS X Alpha
This Fall, a free Alpha version of SONAR OS X—which comes with a set of Cakewalk plug-ins and ProChannel modules, works with any Core Audio interface, and includes features like the award-winning Skylight User Interface and critically acclaimed ProChannel customizable channel strip—will become available to gauge the interest of doing a full Mac port.

“Ever since SONAR appeared, Apple users have been asking for a Mac version,” states Cakewalk CTO Noel Borthwick. “We’re excited to explore SONAR for OS X, and open up our award-winning Windows software to a brand new audience of music creators.” Along with this free download, a dedicated forum will solicit feedback on the program and provide support.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
urock
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 501
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/12 06:15:13 (permalink)
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Hi Everyone,

Best,

Thank you for the update!   I hope you are able to share more in April.
reza
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 262
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/13 08:11:06 (permalink)
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Hi Everyone,

Best,

Thanks Alex
This is what I was looking for. A simple answer from someone in charge.

Love is the secret key of Eternity of Humanity.

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87, 25GB DDR 3
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs),Sound Devices: Roland  V_STUDIO 700 SET
BRainbow
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 399
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/13 11:43:19 (permalink)
To the OP:  Relax and make some music.

Cakewalk (forever), Two WIN10 64-bit DAWs: home-brew ASRock x299 Taichi / i7 7820x w/ 64GB RAM and ASUS X99A-II / i7-5820K w/ 32GB RAM, ZOOM UAC 8, Mackie ONYX 1640i FW Mixer/Interface, Mackie ONYX 1200F, Avalon U5 PreAmp, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Composer CloudX, Yamaha MOTIF XS8, Ensoniq SD-1 and ESQ-1, Korg M1rEX, Yamaha TX-81Z, Roland D110, Line6 HELIX Rack and Native, POD HD-Pro, POD Farm 2.5, Yamaha NS-10 and Presonus Eris E8 monitors, Yamaha Disklavier Upright Piano, mics, guitars, basses, and the cutest little tambourine.
ProjectM
  • Total Posts : 3941
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/13 12:19:26 (permalink)
Ooooooohhh..... but April i so far, far away!!!!

(agony all over again - man, I'm impatient)

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
jamesattfield
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/16 01:04:48 (permalink)
coolbass Cakewalk's continued silence on this subject is one the reasons I am learning Reaper.
This is not the right way to treat your customers.

+1. I was just looking at my Sonar 2.0 manual (right next to my 1995 Cakewalk Express manual) on the shelf and pondering on the loss of my Sonar X3 since I binned Win completely and committed to MacOS. I am saddened to have had a transition path dangled in front of me which seems to be going nowhere and now I am not sure I believe it will happen in time, if ever. I am also currently doing proof of concept for my stuff in Reaper and learning the ropes and if I get too far down this road I can't see me ever coming back to Sonar. There goes a 20+ year relationship. If it doesn't work out I guess it will be Logic X for me if the MIDI instrument handling stacks up but of course I can't get a demo version to try. I do hope someone at Cakewalk sees this and realises the plight some of us are in.
jamesattfield
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: Why Cakewalk removed all the mac info from the website? 2017/03/16 01:18:29 (permalink)
gunboatdiplomacy
JohanSebatianGremlin
gunboatdiplomacy

Better yet, if you have a complaint with Mac Sonar, stick with the other 50 posts on the topic rather to kill another horse just to beat it. 

Posts about Mac Sonar and posts about "I'm finally leaving sonar! Good bye world!" are just cries for attention rather than an attempt to solve any issues with making music.

Well, that's just the point, I can't because having binned Windows I now don't have a functional Sonar and would rather not also bin many years of experience using it. You need another/bigger gunboat, methinks, alternatively, if you are bored with the topic then I suggest you stop visiting it.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1