Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac???

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
jasonthurley
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 264
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 14:02:33 (permalink)
jasonthurley

Storm

I actually buy a Mac for the more refined less-clunky computer than the OS and that's why SONAR is on it on a Bootcamp partition.

you can install Windows on the hard Drive and decide what you want to use (Apple OS or Windows OS) on boot up

Both? Together? Just pretend the files don't exist when you install? I need more info on that man. :)

You actually decide to run Windows or MAC OS, not both... the files are still there but the drive is separated into MAC side/ Windows side (You can decide how much space to allocate to each partition... If your using an external hard drive for samples/audio files/plugins you can just switch from MAC OS then exit MAC OS and switch to Windows.

You can also have 2 drives and then just tell your computer which one to boot from by going into BIOS at startup.

There are a lot of options and Apple nor Windows want you to understand that it is the same hardware components and can be configured to operate any OS. It's all about the bread($$)

I posted a link that has the EXACT procedure in the forums somewhere.. I will try and located it again.

I should correct this: "If your using an external hard drive for samples/audio files/plugins you can just switch from MAC OS then exit MAC OS and switch to Window"

The external drive will also have to be partitioned and the plug-ins/files you want to have on both Windows and MAC need to have duplicates as the hard drive will be in 2 formats NTSF for Windows and FAT for MAC. However if your just using Sonar with the Windows partition you don't need to have duplicates.  You can use a USB key or other plug-n-play hardrive to transfer files between the two partitions.

however if you want to have Pro Tools running on MAC and Sonar in windows and share plug-ins you have to install them on both OS.

Hopefully this makes sense.

dappa1
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2949
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 14:15:34 (permalink)
I know who you ALL are!

I have seen you on google earth!!!

I know all of you....!

Big company execs to University Tutors, lawyers and Doctors (good to know you all use SONAR)

but... I am surprised no one has said I am god yet!

gothic.angel
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 572
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 17:32:47 (permalink)
Dappa1

...good to know you all use SONAR...

...Well, AT LEAST, we DO have something in common.... lol...

GothicAngeL - EBM - Dark Electronics

gothic.angel
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 17:39:15 (permalink)
Storm

...If one PC maker decided to actually build a good solid light computer, I'd buy it for SONAR.

If you just seek, you WILL find...

Don't listen to ANYBODY... not even me....

...Just give a look to these monsters below (among MANY others...), and you''ll see why Macs simply can't compete...

my TRUE greetings...

http://www.pcaudiolabs.com/

http://rainrecording.com/products/

http://www.dv247.com/music-computers 

http://www.gear4music.com/Computer-Music.html
post edited by gothic.angel - 2010/08/02 17:54:04

jasonthurley
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 264
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 18:05:51 (permalink)
gothic.angel

Storm

...If one PC maker decided to actually build a good solid light computer, I'd buy it for SONAR.

If you just seek, you WILL find...

Don't listen to ANYBODY... not even me....

...Just give a look to these monsters below (among MANY others...), and you''ll see why Macs simply can't compete...

my TRUE greetings...

http://www.pcaudiolabs.com/

http://rainrecording.com/products/

http://www.dv247.com/music-computers 

http://www.gear4music.com/Computer-Music.html

I also noticed that PCAudioLabs turnkey systems are not even available yet and the the stuff they sell is normal computer stuff I can find at any computer store... Rainrecording was expensive and seriously way over the top for a home studio setup....dv247  configures and sells MAC's and the other PC's they sell are sold at Guitar Center/etc....... gear4music is a generic Musicians Friend..... I don't know how that is helping anything or proving anything but I will take your word "Don't listen to ANYBODY... not even me...." for it.
gothic.angel
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 19:14:17 (permalink)
jasonthurley

1- I also noticed that PCAudioLabs turnkey systems are not even available yet and the the stuff they sell is normal computer stuff I can find at any computer store...
2- Rainrecording was expensive and seriously way over the top for a home studio setup....
3- dv247  configures and sells MAC's and the other PC's they sell are sold at Guitar Center/etc.......
4- gear4music is a generic Musicians Friend.....
5- ...but I will take your word "Don't listen to ANYBODY... not even me...." for it.

1- Sure they are "normal computers"... we ARE are dealing with computers, only they are configured/assembled in a specific "ad hoc" way...
2- Nevertheless they ARE "over the top PCs", just read some reviews around... or better stilll... Try 'em... You may expect some extra bill for that...
3- What's wrong with that...?
4- Again, so what...? Long as they deal with good stuff....
5- SURE, personal choices shall ALWAYS rule... ALWAYS...

Anyway... if some of those products DO suit many Pros in the industry, chances are you May find something that suits you...

Good luck, mate....

jackn2mpu
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2765
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/03 19:37:23 (permalink)
gothic.angel

pjl

... then I'll know I'm right about your ignorance.

If I really knew your job!?!  OK, impress me.  You are the one who declared yourself to be a computer technician.  That alone is no indication of any capacity for serious intellectual endeavour - and none of your posts so far have lead me to believe otherwise.
No, You DO NOT know, because you simply CAN'T... thus that's YOUR ignorance (in its literal meaning...)

by the way, I have NEITHER need NOR will to impress anybody... dear "professor"... it's you not "getting the point" here....

It was just an answer to the PRECONCEPTION that SOME Apple users show WHEN referring to somebody giving for granted they don't appreciate the "Mac World" because they don't know it....

Your (presumptuous) search for "indication of any capacity for serious intellectual endeavour" in all this question, is ridiculous and out of context...

You should have a bath of humility, professor...

You're the one that needs a bath of humility.
Your statement that: "by the way, I have NEITHER need NOR will to impress anybody... dear "professor" is a standard giveaway that you couldn't even begin to impress anyone because you don't have the techinical know-how to do so. If you're so all-fired smart (and not just a smarta$$) then come up with some real data to prove your point and not just put meaningless words down on the forum. You're nothing but a blowhard with no real knowledge of whereof he speaks. I further submit you're nothing more than a wannabe trying to mix it up with the big boys.

Jack
Qapla!
gothic.angel
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/04 07:07:33 (permalink)
jackn2mpu

1 -  ...If you're so all-fired smart (and not just a smarta$$) then come up with some real data to prove your point and not just put meaningless words down on the forum.
2 - You're nothing but a blowhard with no real knowledge of whereof he speaks. I further submit you're nothing more than a wannabe trying to mix it up with the big boys.
1 - So you think you do come up with "real data", instead...
2 - Again, the knowledge MUST be yours... that's why you must feel allowed to make ASSUMPTIONS about people you don't ACTUALLY know...

You SOUND so full of frustration that you can't help but attack (insult..) ME... which make me feel really sorry...

WELL, THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THE RIGHT PLACE.... "KID"...

...YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO GIVE OPINIONS ON DAWs HERE (or "Real Data"... if you might have any different than  empirical "Sonar should be on Macs"...) NOT PERSONAL ATTACK... LIKE YOU AND SOMEONE ELSE ARE DOING... NO WAY...

As I said, I shouldn't reply to YOU any longer... so I hope you have the awareness and POLITENESS to understand that you should NOT go on with this, as well...

Hoping that's the end of it,
                                               sincerely.
post edited by gothic.angel - 2010/08/04 07:15:41

jackn2mpu
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/04 07:47:16 (permalink)
gothic.angel

jackn2mpu

1 -  ...If you're so all-fired smart (and not just a smarta$$) then come up with some real data to prove your point and not just put meaningless words down on the forum.
2 - You're nothing but a blowhard with no real knowledge of whereof he speaks. I further submit you're nothing more than a wannabe trying to mix it up with the big boys.
1 - So you think you do come up with "real data", instead...
2 - Again, the knowledge MUST be yours... that's why you must feel allowed to make ASSUMPTIONS about people you don't ACTUALLY know...

You SOUND so full of frustration that you can't help but attack (insult..) ME... which make me feel really sorry...

WELL, THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THE RIGHT PLACE.... "KID"...

...YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO GIVE OPINIONS ON DAWs HERE (or "Real Data"... if you might have any different than  empirical "Sonar should be on Macs"...) NOT PERSONAL ATTACK... LIKE YOU AND SOMEONE ELSE ARE DOING... NO WAY...

As I said, I shouldn't reply to YOU any longer... so I hope you have the awareness and POLITENESS to understand that you should NOT go on with this, as well...

Hoping that's the end of it,
                                               sincerely.

Hardly the end of it.
Unlike you, I'm no kid. Probably old enough to be your grandfather. Either way around, it's not up to you to tell me I shouldn't go on with this. On the contrary, your words prove my point - you can't possibly defend your position with any rationality so you want to call an end to it. Myself and a couple of others who you don't have the guts to name are NOT making personal attacks on you - just trying to help you see the error of your ways. And to keep others from being swayed by the bigotted opinions (such as they are) of your high and mighty self. If someone wants Sonar on a Mac - what's that to you? You have an irrational fear of them based on nothing more than what someone else says.
Then again, I think that's the problem with a lot of posters here and Macs - an irrational fear of using another computer and OS when they are SO comfortable with anything coming from Redmond. People fear ther unknown. Try a Mac people - you may just like it.

Jack
Qapla!
gothic.angel
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/04 09:38:13 (permalink)
jackn2mpu

Hardly the end of it.
Unlike you, I'm no kid. Probably old enough to be your grandfather. Either way around, it's not up to you to tell me I shouldn't go on with this. On the contrary, your words prove my point - you can't possibly defend your position with any rationality so you want to call an end to it. Myself and a couple of others who you don't have the guts to name are NOT making personal attacks on you - just trying to help you see the error of your ways. And to keep others from being swayed by the bigotted opinions (such as they are) of your high and mighty self. If someone wants Sonar on a Mac - what's that to you? You have an irrational fear of them based on nothing more than what someone else says.
Then again, I think that's the problem with a lot of posters here and Macs - an irrational fear of using another computer and OS when they are SO comfortable with anything coming from Redmond. People fear ther unknown. Try a Mac people - you may just like it.
You could just be my brother (in terms of age...), not ANYTHING ELSE...

YOU CAN BET PEOPLE "FEAR THE UNKNOWN"... as YOU DON'T KNOW ME, AT ALL... INDEED...

AND, YES, you ARE a kid, for that's how you react when somebody touches your "i-Toys", it all started from there, after all...

As there are different people, there are (luckily) different preferences out there...
Thus, yes, There ARE people using Macs and disliking 'em... you may like it or not... 

...and if you were not the spoiled (still)kid that here you DO show to be, you would simply ACCEPT IT... 

The only bigot, given that you used this word, between us, is YOU...

This is ironic, as the only people I feel "enemies", as a lover of Gothic Philosophy, are just the "bigots"...

STOP INSULTING... it won't make you right...

...Ashamed, of your childish presumption.
post edited by gothic.angel - 2010/08/04 09:50:59

eratu
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2856
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/04 11:02:48 (permalink)
I'm amazed at the direction of this thread, and respectfully request that the mods move it to another section of the forum where coffeehouse discussions can continue. I'm amazed I'm even asking for that. But this one is now skirting outside the realm of quality, informative threads that actually help people use and support Sonar.

The OP was a good, valid query and it's been answered by several points of view. But now, it's turning into a coffee-house crumb-flinging event that serves no purpose but to get personal and recycle the same points over and over. Doesn't seem that there's anything more to add to the main forum topic, which is supposed to be about "SONAR Producer and Studio," right? I think everyone has made their point, right? Or is there another helpful point to be made regarding the OP?

I know I shouldn't post in this thread, but can't resist the temptation for one reason: If this devolves much further, this is exactly the type of thread that, in my opinion, negatively impacts on the reputation of the Sonar community (rightly or wrongly), and ultimately Sonar/Cakewalk itself. Sure, there are good threads gone bad in every forum, but come on, this is turning into a soap opera. Unfortunately, this is a tough one for Cakewalk moderators since there isn't really any good-quality hard-core name calling yet... Now, what we could do is start name calling... who wants to throw the first stone?

My two bits, now back to your regular programming...
inmazevo
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3276
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/04 11:21:17 (permalink)
Very well put, eratu...
Seconded,

- zevo
Lemonboy
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 679
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/04 11:28:44 (permalink)
Very well put, eratu...

Totally agree, valid original question, some good points and then downhill bigtime

Andy
pjl
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 796
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/04 12:46:41 (permalink)
gothic.angel

pjl

... then I'll know I'm right about your ignorance.

If I really knew your job!?!  OK, impress me.  You are the one who declared yourself to be a computer technician.  That alone is no indication of any capacity for serious intellectual endeavour - and none of your posts so far have lead me to believe otherwise.
No, You DO NOT know, because you simply CAN'T... thus that's YOUR ignorance (in its literal meaning...)

by the way, I have NEITHER need NOR will to impress anybody... dear "professor"... it's you not "getting the point" here....

It was just an answer to the PRECONCEPTION that SOME Apple users show WHEN referring to somebody giving for granted they don't appreciate the "Mac World" because they don't know it....

Your (presumptuous) search for "indication of any capacity for serious intellectual endeavour" in all this question, is ridiculous and out of context...

You should have a bath of humility, professor...

This exchange has become very heated and so I started responding to this message in the same tone but, just before I hit "Post Message", I paused - I am way beyond old enough to take my time (It's interesting that the less life you have left the more you are willing to take time to assess the situation).  My response was pretty scathing but I decided to delete it and try another approach.  The educator in me would be much happier of I could get understanding.  And so an attempt to educate - I can't help it, it's in my blood.

I get the impression that you have had arguments with the irrational Apple fan boys and been frustrated by their ignorance.  It is very hard to argue with irrational people because they refuse to acknowledge what are obviously good arguments - I have had similar arguments on predominantly Apple web sites.  As a consequence, I assume you are over-reacting by declaring that everything Apple is crap.  Do yourself a favour, recapture your natural intelligence and realise that they are idiots who can't construct a reasoned argument.  Realise that both platforms are so good that final choice comes down to personal opinion and that the other side is just as valid a choice. 

Don't talk to the people here about i-Crap or claim that Logic 9 is rubbish.  That is unsupportable nonsense and if you overcome your reactionary prejudices you will see that.  You may have had bad experiences but if an operating system is to be damned by one person's bad experience then Windows is stuffed.

Edit: I should add, we are all here because we see SONAR's qualities.  If you see an Apple user talking up SONAR it doesn't make sense to trash talk them because they are more on your side than off.

post edited by pjl - 2010/08/04 12:59:24

Celebrate reason, sleep in on Sundays
gothic.angel
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/04 14:04:00 (permalink)
eratu

I'm amazed at the direction of this thread, and respectfully request that the mods move it to another section of the forum where coffeehouse discussions can continue. I'm amazed I'm even asking for that. But this one is now skirting outside the realm of quality, informative threads that actually help people use and support Sonar.

The OP was a good, valid query and it's been answered by several points of view. But now, it's turning into a coffee-house crumb-flinging event that serves no purpose but to get personal and recycle the same points over and over. Doesn't seem that there's anything more to add to the main forum topic, which is supposed to be about "SONAR Producer and Studio," right? I think everyone has made their point, right? Or is there another helpful point to be made regarding the OP?

I know I shouldn't post in this thread, but can't resist the temptation for one reason: If this devolves much further, this is exactly the type of thread that, in my opinion, negatively impacts on the reputation of the Sonar community (rightly or wrongly), and ultimately Sonar/Cakewalk itself. Sure, there are good threads gone bad in every forum, but come on, this is turning into a soap opera. Unfortunately, this is a tough one for Cakewalk moderators since there isn't really any good-quality hard-core name calling yet... Now, what we could do is start name calling... who wants to throw the first stone?

My two bits, now back to your regular programming...

I agree...

In all honesty, when the question started to become too much "personal", I  tried to put an end pointing out that this is not the place for personal "considerations" about persons...

My point was, and still is, that I strongly criticise, in my perspective, and I believe I DO have all the rights in this world, Apple's policies... 
...and I will ALWAYS do WHEN I think I have to...
Does this have to cause over-reactions like above...?

For the same reasons, Win users should then quarrel any (many) time this OS gets critics...

...IT CAN'T BE LIKE THAT...

I never said "ANYTHING" from Apple is crap... but I underlined their recent (IN MY OPINION) QUESTIONABLE "strategies"...
WHAT'S THE SIN...?

Why should be "criticising" Windows, as it often happens,  a "normal" affair, while not the same towards "Mac"...?

It's obvious, that PROS and CONS are in EVERYTHING... even (NOT ONLY...) in Apple's stuff... IT'S THAT SIMPLE...

I NOW really hope that this puts a serious END to this tiring (especially for me...) question....

Regards to EVERYBODY.

jackn2mpu
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/04 15:38:51 (permalink)
gothic.angel

I never said "ANYTHING" from Apple is crap... but I underlined their recent (IN MY OPINION) QUESTIONABLE "strategies"...

Got to call you on this one - look at your own posts #130 and #132 (unless you go back and edit them) - you use that very word to describe Apple wares. There goes any credibility you may have ever had on this or any other forum.

Jack
Qapla!
alexoosthoek
Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5238
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/04 16:43:05 (permalink)
Wow!

I think you both should say "sorry" to the OP and to eachother.

There will be no winners in this discussion, as you both know.

Now go and make some music ;-) And have fun doing it!

The CHB
Some Live Demo's

Various ADK computers   and some thingy's
Have fun!
jackn2mpu
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/04 17:19:54 (permalink)
alexoosthoek

Wow!

I have nothing to be sorry for. Like Popeye I say what I mean and mean what I say.

Jack
Qapla!
alexoosthoek
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/04 17:50:14 (permalink)
jackn2mpu

alexoosthoek

Wow!

I have nothing to be sorry for. Like Popeye I say what I mean and mean what I say.

I bet Olive would have something to say about that :-)

The CHB
Some Live Demo's

Have fun!
gothic.angel
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/04 18:50:10 (permalink)
alexoosthoek

Wow!

You are perfectly right... Alex...

I have absolutely NOTHING against "Jack".... and I can even  "feel" he's honest in heart... only he comes (involuntarily, I guess...) presumptuous when he makes statements about my "person"...
that's not fair, even if I know that's not his purpose...

We simply don't share the same ideas (about this argument, maybe not everything else... nobody can tell...)

He says he claims what he thinks, well... that's exactly what I was trying to do...!
I don't like Apple Comuters... Which I've been using for years... thus I wouldn't like to see SONAR on Macs... I just  want to feel FREE to express it...

We are (all) old enough to understand that things like this can happen when we are all "intellectually honest", but divided by ideas... 
so I would have no problems to "shake" his hand, REALLY...

Speaking of music, after all... I would like to quote: "People are People, so why should it be, you and I should get along so awfully...?" 

Alex is right, Jack.... if you agree, let's extend our hands... SINCERELY...

Steve, from Italy....

alexoosthoek
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/04 19:20:17 (permalink)
Together I guess we are about 150 years old( I was born in 1963).

Man, we are old ................................

:-)

The CHB
Some Live Demo's

Have fun!
gothic.angel
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/04 19:26:39 (permalink)
alexoosthoek

Together I guess we are about 150 years old( I was born in 1963).

Man, we are old ................................

:-)

...you can bet we are... I was born in 1970... so maybe you guessed the right "total age"...

alexoosthoek
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/04 19:36:39 (permalink)
Here's a thought, if we could sort of combine all of our three's knowledge we can out smart Cj

Edit: spelling
post edited by alexoosthoek - 2010/08/04 19:44:21

The CHB
Some Live Demo's

Have fun!
gothic.angel
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/04 19:45:28 (permalink)
alexoosthoek

Here's a htought, if we could sort of combine all of our three's knowledge we can out smart Cj

...Hard task, ol' bloke...  We may try, but... how many lives left do we have...!? 

Cj rules... !    

alexoosthoek
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/04 20:05:31 (permalink)

Ok, now could we have sort of a group hug.

In a "man" kind of way as I'm looking at the movie birds right now

The CHB
Some Live Demo's

Have fun!
gothic.angel
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/04 20:14:18 (permalink)
alexoosthoek

Ok, now could we have sort of a group hug.

In a "man" kind of way as I'm looking at the movie birds right now

Sure... in a "man" kinda way... what else...?

Enjoy the movie...    but try not to be too much "dragged" in...

see ya soon...

steve.

Storm
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 808
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/05 11:17:38 (permalink)
despite the in-between convos, I thank you for the information on the non-bootcamp install. There are certain things I like about OSX that I keep both but this is a great bookmark for me in case I decide to ever stick to one OS.

As for computers, thanks for those links but I was familiar with those sites before. I started out doing new media production including audio and video in Pentium 75s and I've never not been able to do what I want so I do not complain that my Core2Duo isn't able to do enough even with the requirements of new plug-ins and effects. So from my point of view the Mac Mini I now have for Reason/Record and the MBP I have running SONAR are better than any PC I've ever had. Smoother, quieter, WAY LESS DESK real estate, etc. I'm not looking for a huge tower or a rack mounted computer. I just want the quietest and smallest computer I can get that. (Challenge - Try finding a small quiet pc with anything more than an atom processor.) I found that already and am quite happy with the Mac.

But there are things I just like better on Windows too. Windows 7 runs SONAR nicely on the MBP. I never record more than 2 tracks at once though so I wouldn't ever push the limits of a 64 bit Core i7. It's all better than a single pentium! :)

my apologies for putting a thread back on track lol :)
post edited by Storm - 2010/08/05 11:19:02
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1