Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac???

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
chilldanny
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
2010/07/06 20:39:07 (permalink)

Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac???

Ok, so after 15years of writing and recording I'm going 'pro' and start a degree
in Creative Audio Technology in september.

The big flaw in this???
Having to learn Logic inside out!!!

Industry standard my arse!!
Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty cool package, but man - it aint Sonar!

With Apple seemingly now the platform of choice in homes and studios worldwide
I'd hate to see Sonar go the way of the BetaMax.
Afterall, the key to survival is the ability to adapt and evolve.

So please Cakewalk, I and many others beg you, support both platforms.
Not least because my MacBook Pro will be delivered soon and I really wanna
show my Lecturer and fellow students what the new industry standard looks like!

So, anyone else think Sonar becoming cross-platform would be good thing??
Answers on a post-card =)

p.s.
yes, I know, Bootcamp.... ;)

* Windows10 (x64), Focusrite Safire Pro24, Sonar Platinum (x64) * MacOS High Sierra, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 9 *

Danny M

176 Replies Related Threads

Teksonik
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 521
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/06 20:41:57 (permalink)
    chilldanny

With Apple seemingly now the platform of choice in homes

Really?

chilldanny
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/06 20:51:11 (permalink)
    Teksonik

Really?

Yeah, I mean people at the very least have an iPod or iPhone.
    And with the iPad it's simply a matter of time before Logic or Live gets ported.
    Also, google some studios and Apple really does have the market share here.

Worrying if Cakewalk don't see the benefits....

* Windows10 (x64), Focusrite Safire Pro24, Sonar Platinum (x64) * MacOS High Sierra, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 9 *

Danny M
    DJSur
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 326
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/06 20:59:56 (permalink)
    I'm of the opinion that the restrictions Apple puts to it's approved software vendors would create a political disservice to Sonar on the PC platform.
    It might also be too much to cover both platforms for Cakewalk.

On another note: I'm just the opposite, I learned Logic while it was still on PC and would like it ported back to PC for multi-core support. For now I use it in a virtual machine if needed.
    djjhart@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2189
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/06 21:14:14 (permalink)
    If it was OSX I would buy in a heart beat... Its just me..

Computer - Intel Q9550, Intel BX48bt2 MB, W8 64 bit. 8 gb Ram, SSD  
    Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
    Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.
     http://soundcloud.com/johnhartson/tracks  
     http://www.youtube.com/user/jhart1313 

...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/06 21:30:23 (permalink)
    I think I wold too, because then wouldn't have to bootcamp my laptop!

Cake has said repeatedly it's too much dev cost and not enough audience on the other side to do it and support it. Their argument makes some sense, with Apple's very own high-end DAW as well ProTools and all other players (Reaper, Studio One, and lord knows what else...) who would want to try and assemble an attack into that market?

On the other hand, Macs are quite popular with the creative class of people, and I think the percentage of them is higher than in a regular cross-section of peeps. By NOT having a horse in the race it automatically rules out potential converts. 

I'm ambivalent. If they come up with a major reimagining of SONAR that is cross-platform and moves forward into the future I'd be happy. If they don't cross-platform it but still move into the future I'll still be happy.  If they make it cross-platform and DON'T make a leap forward? I'll throw a right-royal tantrum of epic proportions. Which of course means writing uselessly long screeds on the forum....

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    chilldanny
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/06 21:53:02 (permalink)
    ...wicked

If they don't cross-platform it but still move into the future I'll still be happy.

I totally agree man.

If I'm honest, I'd like to see some sort of Intel-Microsoft-Cakewalk deal, in the same
    vein as Apple-Logic.  Support and intergration on that level is priceless.

But yeah, ultimately as long as Cakewalk drive Sonar into the future we can all be happy.
    Well, after installing bug fixes anyway! lol ;)

Danny M
    lapieuvre
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 221
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/07 00:47:06 (permalink)
    Ok, so after 15years of writing and recording I'm going 'pro' and start a degree

The big flaw in this???

Logic... Really?

I am surprised, Nuendo, DP, or Pro-Tools, I would understand but Logic...

If you want to work in the industry, learn Pro-Tools and DP!

Win 7 64 bits, Intel core2 quad Q9550 (2.83ghz)
    Fireface 800, Sonar X1 Producer
    Live 8 Suite, Kontakt 4

eikelbijter
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1002
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/07 05:21:41 (permalink)
    It's time for Apple to go away. Can we please have some competition from a company that gets it?

R

Xeon E3-1231V3, 16GB RAM, 480GB 840EVO SSD, MOTU 2480MK3, 424PCI w/ Sonar Platinum
    Dell XPS 18, i5, 12GB RAM, 500GB SSD+128GB SSD, Roland VS-100 w/ Sonar Platinum

Dell XPS 13, i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB 840EVO SSD, Zoom UAC-2, Sonar Platinum

http://www.RicoBelled.com/

Teksonik
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/07 07:11:34 (permalink)
    chilldanny

Teksonik

Really?

Yeah, I mean people at the very least have an iPod or iPhone.
    And with the iPad it's simply a matter of time before Logic or Live gets ported.
    Also, google some studios and Apple really does have the market share here.

Worrying if Cakewalk don't see the benefits....

I'm not talking about ipods I'm talking about choice today for home and small studios.  I'm also not talking about major studios or what might happen to Logic in the future.

Do you have some market share facts for Cakewalk?  I'm pretty sure they do and there's a good reason why there is no Mac version of Sonar.  They can barely support their PC customers I can't imagine how bad it would be with cross platform support......................

chilldanny
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/07 07:37:20 (permalink)
    lapieuvre

Logic... Really?

I am surprised, Nuendo, DP, or Pro-Tools, I would understand but Logic...

If you want to work in the industry, learn Pro-Tools and DP!
    Hey there!

Yep, really.  I did some research and pretty much all colleges/uni's in the UK use Logic and
    bill it as 'Industry Standard'.

p.s.
    I work in the industry already =)

Danny M
    chilldanny
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/07 07:44:04 (permalink)
    Teksonik

I'm not talking about ipods I'm talking about choice today for home and small studios.  I'm also not talking about major studios or what might happen to Logic in the future.

Cool ok, but I was!

Do you have some market share facts for Cakewalk?  
    No, I don't

Have a good day! =)

Danny M
    jackn2mpu
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2765
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/07 14:41:51 (permalink)
    ...wicked

I think I would too, because then wouldn't have to bootcamp my laptop!

Cake has said repeatedly it's too much dev cost and not enough audience on the other side to do it and support it. Their argument makes some sense, with Apple's very own high-end DAW as well ProTools and all other players (Reaper, Studio One, and lord knows what else...) who would want to try and assemble an attack into that market?

On the other hand, Macs are quite popular with the creative class of people, and I think the percentage of them is higher than in a regular cross-section of peeps. By NOT having a horse in the race it automatically rules out potential converts. 

I'm ambivalent. If they come up with a major reimagining of SONAR that is cross-platform and moves forward into the future I'd be happy. If they don't cross-platform it but still move into the future I'll still be happy.  If they make it cross-platform and DON'T make a leap forward? I'll throw a right-royal tantrum of epic proportions. Which of course means writing uselessly long screeds on the forum....

I would love a Mac-native version of Sonar. My pc daw computer is dying and I find I'm doing more and more work in Digital Performer on my Mac Powerbook. Looking for a MacPro desktop and I will not Bootcamp it to run a cruddy OS like Winblows. Tis a shame because I truly love Sonar (started with S3P, then S5P and now S8.3.1P) and work on autopilot in it. The Mac OS is so much more elegant. Want to run multiple audio interfaces in OSX? Create an aggregate device in the OS and you're done. No special drivers needed like on the Windoze side.

Sadly we will never see a Mac-native version of Sonar. I don't think that it's so much that it'd be a bear to program like Cake says but more a case of Cake doesn't have the programming chops to do the job. There's plenty of audience to support Sonar on the Mac side. Computer's are powerful enough one doesn't need ProTool's TDM cards anymore so it's time for a native daw. DP ain't 64 bit and a 64 bit version isn't on the horizon. Logic is now 64 bit but there are problems. Sonar has a pretty damn good reputation for leading the way with 64 bit and stability - why not take that over to the Mac side?

When I say Mac-native I mean a program that will run in OSX and not some Bootcamped Frankenstein running the OS du jour from Redmond.

Jack
    Qapla!
    jackn2mpu
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2765
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/07 14:45:46 (permalink)
    djjhart@aol.com

If it was OSX I would buy in a heart beat... Its just me..

Not just you but I'm there as well. Using Digital Performer 6 on my Mac Powerbook. Nice and processor friendly to boot. Hate giving up Sonar (been with it since S3 and this forum didn't exist - it used to be on Usenet) since I work quite easily, but I will not Bootcamp a MacPro (waiting for the hex core cpu's) just to run Windoze and Sonar.

Jack
    Qapla!
    Teksonik
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/07 15:58:09 (permalink)
    jackn2mpu

There's plenty of audience to support Sonar on the Mac side.

Is that a fact or just your conjecture? Got any stats to back that up?

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/07 16:11:39 (permalink)
    chilldanny

The big flaw in this???

Industry standard my arse!!
    Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty cool package, but man - it aint Sonar!

With Apple seemingly now the platform of choice in homes and studios worldwide
    I'd hate to see Sonar go the way of the BetaMax.
    Afterall, the key to survival is the ability to adapt and evolve.

So please Cakewalk, I and many others beg you, support both platforms.
    Not least because my MacBook Pro will be delivered soon and I really wanna
    show my Lecturer and fellow students what the new industry standard looks like!

So, anyone else think Sonar becoming cross-platform would be good thing??
    Answers on a post-card =)

p.s.
    yes, I know, Bootcamp.... ;)

Sonar can't be made to work on a Mac. At this point the only thing Cakewalk could do is start developing a brand new product for the Mac. They could call it Sonar but inside it would be a new program starting at 1.0. 

If you consider it took over a decade to get Sonar to the state it's in now I would not expect a new product for the Mac to be usable till what ?.. 2020 ? maybe ?   And at any point along the line Apple could pull the rug out from under them with a new way sound works in Mac OS.  I can't imagine it would be worth it.  There are already more mature products for the Mac then the tiny market can support, how could you make any money at that when the folks who have worked at it for years can't ?  It's simply not going to happen.

If you want to talk industry standard learn ProTools.  It's not as good as Sonar but it's the standard and it's available on Mac and Windows already.
    garrigus
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/07 16:24:15 (permalink)
    Nope. Why? Because I don't have any Mac computers. Sorry, but that's just the way it is...

Just kidding, of course!

I really don't know, but I doubt it. I would think that there would have to be thousands of users who wanted that option in order to make it even slightly worthwhile for Cakewalk.

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/  - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/

einstein36
    • Total Posts : 511
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/07 16:32:54 (permalink)
    okay guys, following Apple and their hardware choices over the last few years...they went from PPC cpu to Intel and now with the Ipad A4 cpu...I got a feeling that sooner or later that all of apples products will contain an A4 cpu soon enough and a whole new ballgame of code to write that for.....

so.......I have to support Sonar....they have been writing the code for Sonar since the 286 days of intel code, etc and like they said, one just doesn't get the scope of having to switch the code for a new cpu without going out of business..
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/07 16:53:27 (permalink)
    It may already be on a Mac in an alternate universe.

Will someone please go and check it out and report back?

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/07 16:57:42 (permalink)
    Pro studios use Protools (here in the us).  Post, smaller places etc. use a variety of programs, mostly mac.  Market penetration is costly, since even pros only have a limited time to "learn" new ways to do old tricks and stick w/ them that brought them to the dance.

The home studio revoltion is PC centric (for the masses, anyway).  That is Cake's market, and they have a fair share of it.  And they have plenty of pros taking their home recordings to the major studios for mixing, etc.  Bands take their "real" studio trackings home to mix.  Even more of us simply do it all at home (beats raising chinchillas and makes as much money).  Last night the wife's jazz band had to practice here and the sax player had Cubase LE from an interface and we talked a little bit about latency, etc.  (actually I talked and showed him what to look for in Cubase using SONAR since he's having problems).

That is Cake's market - musicians not engineers at a big studio.  That being said a lot of what you learn at home can go to a different software in another studio, tho not the workflow aspect.

Cake has a good thing going w/ the PC world - why dump in lot of money into a different hardware w/o a commensurate payoff?

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    chilldanny
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/07 18:50:26 (permalink)
    Good responses guys, thanks =)

Danny M
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/07 22:36:55 (permalink)
    Besides, who wants to work on hardware from a company which designs their wireless phone to be held so you can't get reception.   When Apple said you weren't supposed to hold the iphone4 that way, there was a pic of Jobs holding it improperly.  Form over function. 

;-)

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/07 23:00:40 (permalink)
    Chilldany,

Have you looked at Fusion virtual machine for Mac? It would allow Sonar to run with it looking like it''s native in the Mac environment. I briefly considered it for my MacBook Pro before deciding on going with Propellerhead Record. And now I am considering, yes you got it. Logic Studio......

Yeah I'm still using Sonar on a PC...... And yes it's still my main system
    post edited by Doc_Hollingsworth - 2010/07/07 23:04:06

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/08 00:38:38 (permalink)
    iCrap, iStupd, iToilet, iDesk, iCar, iForum, iTruck, iBattery, iDumb, iPakled, iTV, iMTV, iMP3, i i i i i i i i i i.

i will never own any apple junk. And I avoid all other company's "i" garbage: iHP,...

The reality of Steve Jobs abandoning tech, and therefore users, makes apple stuff very expensive.

I have clients who use macs. They tell me, "They sometimes work fine as long as we do not want to do stuff that is not included in the wizzers. Try to change that and the sky is falling. They crash. They are supported by idiots."

If CW managers are serious about increasing market share they will focus on the core software and stop being diverted by the Roland Hardware trolls.

Fix, and improve, Sonar: before offering me more softsynths and plugs. 8.5? Hardware distraction.

I was hoping for more support from roland, but the forum software still does not search properly. Respect for current users, the base profit center, is increasingly lacking.

I fear the Romulans have infiltrated the CW labs.

I do not want to learn a new DAW, but,.......

J

ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/08 01:15:27 (permalink)
    chilldanny

Good responses guys, thanks =)

The only hope is that some day there will be a VM for Mac OS that can run Windows and Sonar and the machine will be so freakin fast you won't even notice it's a VM.
    jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/08 01:28:37 (permalink)
    How about running the mac OS in a window on my 4th monitor, with a one-button mouse, so I can make the desktop icons get big and small, when I am bored?

I am psyched!

VM rules!!!!

J
    Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/08 01:55:12 (permalink)
    I can't wait for Sonar on a mac. Then I can buy overpriced hardware that's impossible to upgrade and only gives me a limited choice of software. Bring it on! 

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

chilldanny
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/08 03:52:21 (permalink)
    Don't get me wrong guys, I'll continue to use and support Sonar.
    It's my DAW of choice and I've invested too much time money and effort
    to abandon ship, even more so with a new release immenent.

The last time I took my laptop DAW into work my studio manager got a bit
    pissy because I completed a mix quicker and easier in Sonar than the producer
    could with Logic!! Can't say too much in case he's reading this ;) Sorry Tom lol.
    Anyway, point is it grinds my gears I can't get my degree without being a Logic
    power user.  Man I'd breeze it if I could use Sonar instead!

I just seems to me that Cakewalk really REALLY need to deliver us something
    that will make the industry sit up and listen.

Doc, yeah had considered VM but for ease and stabilities sakes I'd rather not.
    And yep, Logic Studio, an inevitable purchase I think!!

Ah well, MacBook pro should be here by friday....
    ....no doubt I'll be a bootcamper by monday! lol

Danny M
    Lemonboy
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 679
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/08 04:36:34 (permalink)
    I would love a Mac-native version of Sonar. My pc daw computer is dying and I find I'm doing more and more work in Digital Performer on my Mac Powerbook. Looking for a MacPro desktop and I will not Bootcamp it to run a cruddy OS like Winblows. Tis a shame because I truly love Sonar (started with S3P, then S5P and now S8.3.1P) and work on autopilot in it. The Mac OS is so much more elegant. Want to run multiple audio interfaces in OSX? Create an aggregate device in the OS and you're done. No special drivers needed like on the Windoze side.

Each to their own as far as BootCamp (and Apple/Mac) goes, but if all you are going to do is boot up and stay in Windows for the entire session, then BootCamp works very well and IMO totally unobtrusively.  If you are going to need to switch OS's during a session then it is a bit of a PITA and I don't think any of the VM's are up to job as yet.  I'd happily run a crappy OS for a really good DAW than a great OS for an OK DAW.  

But yes it would be great to have a version of Sonar (or similar styled Cakewalk DAW) running natively on the Mac, but I can't see it happening.

Andy
    chilldanny
    Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/08 05:16:06 (permalink)
    Thanks Andy, I feel a little reasurred now =)

Danny M
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1