Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac???

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
skeewiff
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 265
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/29 08:58:05 (permalink)
skeewiff
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/29 09:02:30 (permalink)
Jon Con

have to say win7 on bootcamp runs pretty well on mac pro. have got logic and sonar here now and possibly looking to get pro tools in the near future, it takes about 30 seconds to switch between os's.

+1

Exactly the same rig. Just added Parallels to the equation - so i can nip in and out of Sonar whilst in OSX. Great for transferring OMF2 files between Logic and Sonar. + It is funny seeing Windows progs just happily popping up in OSX. 
Brett
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 534
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/29 09:36:52 (permalink)
skeewiff, none of synths have a patch called Clav Farts.
jackn2mpu
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2765
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/29 09:43:13 (permalink)
skeewiff

Jon Con

have to say win7 on bootcamp runs pretty well on mac pro. have got logic and sonar here now and possibly looking to get pro tools in the near future, it takes about 30 seconds to switch between os's.

+1

Exactly the same rig. Just added Parallels to the equation - so i can nip in and out of Sonar whilst in OSX. Great for transferring OMF2 files between Logic and Sonar. + It is funny seeing Windows progs just happily popping up in OSX. 

Yeah, but you're still running in a layered environment which will degrade performance. Why not do away with Windoze altogether and have Sonar native in OSX?

Jack
Qapla!
skeewiff
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/29 09:47:28 (permalink)
Brett

skeewiff, none of synths have a patch called Clav Farts.
What? You haven't got the Native instruments "Vintage keyboard toilet noises" VSTi?

skeewiff
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/29 09:55:10 (permalink)
jackn2mpu

skeewiff

Jon Con

+1

Yeah, but you're still running in a layered environment which will degrade performance. Why not do away with Windoze altogether and have Sonar native in OSX?

Indeed - Sonar in parallels doesnt run at all well - only good for bounces/OMF exports. Absolutely lovely in bootcamp mind (macpro 8 core is the fastest PC I've ever owned!). 

$.02 - Even though we're probably a very silly minority - I'd buy Sonar 9 OSX. Would give me the convenience of the best 2 DAWs (IMO, IMO) sharing one picnic blanket.

Mmmm sharey.

jackn2mpu
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/29 09:58:31 (permalink)
skeewiff

Indeed - Sonar in parallels doesnt run at all well - only good for bounces/OMF exports. Absolutely lovely in bootcamp mind (macpro 8 core is the fastest PC I've ever owned!). 

$.02 - Even though we're probably a very silly minority - I'd buy Sonar 9 OSX. Would give me the convenience of the best 2 DAWs (IMO, IMO) sharing one picnic blanket.

Mmmm sharey.

I'd be all over Sonar 9 OSX in a heartbeat. Then again being the minority we are - and I don't consider it a silly one - I doubt that will ever happen.

Jack
Qapla!
skeewiff
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/29 11:06:36 (permalink)
jackn2mpu

skeewiff

Mmmm sharey.

I'd be all over Sonar 9 OSX in a heartbeat. Then again being the minority we are - and I don't consider it a silly one - I doubt that will ever happen.
Yeah... "silly" probably the wrong word. "Extravagant minority" better. Yes, I like that.

I shall not hold my breath however, as that, would indeed be silly. 

Jon Con
  • Total Posts : 275
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/29 21:23:04 (permalink)
skeewiff how've you found the core loading on the 8 core mac, at the present time I've found that the first core seems to always be between 2-3 times higher than any other core when running a project. I've been running the setup for about a week now and just wanted to guage other users mileage really .

Jon Con
gothic.angel
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 572
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/31 17:22:43 (permalink)
jackn2mpu

Very, very SIMPLE answer... Because SONAR works (already) great in Windows...!!!

Thus, the real question being:

"Why not (finally) do away with crappy Apple's i-Games (and that very tiny bunch of poor software...) and get using what you ALREADY have working GREAT in WINDOWS...?!!!"   

You shouldn't break what already works (better, very much better).....

Stop weeping... , you can make your choice... get it or leave it...

P.S:
It's a funny paradox... (many, not all) Mac users claim (to convince themselves) they have the best thing, and then find out they would love to have the best from the Win world...!
How they wish they had it...!!!
post edited by gothic.angel - 2010/07/31 19:11:03

GothicAngeL - EBM - Dark Electronics

jackn2mpu
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/31 20:48:56 (permalink)
gothic.angel

jackn2mpu

Very, very SIMPLE answer... Because SONAR works (already) great in Windows...!!!

"Why not (finally) do away with crappy Apple's i-Games (and that very tiny bunch of poor software...) and get using what you ALREADY have working GREAT in WINDOWS...?!!!"   

P.S:
It's a funny paradox... (many, not all) Mac users claim (to convince themselves) they have the best thing, and then find out they would love to have the best from the Win world...!

For starters, I don't use any iStuff. When are you Windoze freaks going to get it rhough your thick heads that not everything Apple makes is iSomething or that Mac users don't all use iSomething? Then again you've drunk the Microsnot Kool-Aid long enough you can't see the problems in that OS - I have, and like I've said before, at my stage of life (I'm 58 and used more computers running more different operating systems than you'll ever use) I can't see putting up with that crud any longer. That's why I'm going OSX on everything (or at least trying to). It's just a shame I'll be leaving Sonar behind now that my Winbox is slowly giving up the ghost, but Digital Performer is doing everything I need it to (and more). Yes, that's right - there's another daw software out other than Logic or ProTools.

Yeah, Sonar is a great program but it runs on a sucky OS (Windoze). And why put up with a sucky OS to run a great program?

Jack
Qapla!
gothic.angel
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/01 10:40:43 (permalink)
jackn2mpu

gothic.angel

jackn2mpu

P.S:

For starters, I don't use any iStuff. When are you Windoze freaks going to get it rhough your thick heads that not everything Apple makes is iSomething or that Mac users don't all use iSomething? Then again you've drunk the Microsnot Kool-Aid long enough you can't see the problems in that OS - I have, and like I've said before, at my stage of life (I'm 58 and used more computers running more different operating systems than you'll ever use) I can't see putting up with that crud any longer. That's why I'm going OSX on everything (or at least trying to). It's just a shame I'll be leaving Sonar behind now that my Winbox is slowly giving up the ghost, but Digital Performer is doing everything I need it to (and more). Yes, that's right - there's another daw software out other than Logic or ProTools.

Yeah, Sonar is a great program but it runs on a sucky OS (Windoze). And why put up with a sucky OS to run a great program?

1 - Yes, by using Apple computers, you DO use i-Stuff, ANYWAY, as They ARE i-Stuff themselves....
2 - Just to let you rest assured, and stop speaking as you are the only one to have the knowledge... I Work as a computer technician in a BIG public company, and i deal with both Win & Mac... so I speak for direct experience...
3 - Digital Performer (good program) is almost forgotten/dead, thanks to those idiots at Apple...
4 - Logic (8 & 9) runs like crap, but advertisment make it still strong for blind people in love...
     In fact, because of that strenght it keeps on the market, I 've used it till last year, when I finally decided to get rid of my Mac Book Pro, and 
     fully dedicate to SONAR and Samplitude... for real productivity... How a good choice it was...!!!
     Logic now feels like just another i-Toy to me....
5 - You are the only man on earth speaking of Win7 as a bad OS, thus, you MUST be biased... 

Now, it sounds as it touches you too much... RELAX...!
Mac users have had such a bed news when powerful Windows 7 64 bit kicked away any snobbish Apple's ass, that their favorite (home-made) tune they like so much to sing, "Apples are better", is sounding ridicolous even to themselves....!

Finally, facts are that history gave SONAR's birth to Windows, since then, They have BOTH grown IMMENSELY...

...Apple, on the other hand, have REGRESSED sice THE i-Pod era... Their main target now are boys and girls..
There are also, of course, a lot of Mac users out there who honestly admitt it...
THEY ASK FOR SOFTWARE THAT RUNS GREAT ON WINDOWS, KNOW what it means..? IT RUNS WELL ON WINDOWS, SO THE GOOD THING MUST BE WINDOWS TOO... IT'S AN OBVIOUS TWO-WAY RELATION... EASY, AIN'T IT..?
You may accept it or not, but it's JUST your decision...

True regards.
post edited by gothic.angel - 2010/08/01 11:17:17

DonaldDuck
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 789
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/01 12:32:32 (permalink)
AT

Besides, who wants to work on hardware from a company which designs their wireless phone to be held so you can't get reception.   When Apple said you weren't supposed to hold the iphone4 that way, there was a pic of Jobs holding it improperly.  Form over function. 

;-)
AMEN!

I do not know a more over-hyped company than Apple.  It's kinda scary at times.  Their users tend to have this cult-like mentality. 
pjl
  • Total Posts : 796
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 04:24:00 (permalink)
DonaldDuck

AT

Besides, who wants to work on hardware from a company which designs their wireless phone to be held so you can't get reception.   When Apple said you weren't supposed to hold the iphone4 that way, there was a pic of Jobs holding it improperly.  Form over function. 

;-)
AMEN!

I do not know a more over-hyped company than Apple.  It's kinda scary at times.  Their users tend to have this cult-like mentality. 
I couldn't agree more.  The problem is that people like gothic.angel are exactly the same.  They have a cult hatred of all things Apple and make irrational statements that are not based on any evidence, just their immutable dogma.

People also need to appreciate the difference between absolute, objective facts and subjective opinions.  It's easy to create a plausible argument for why OSX is better than Windows or for why Windows is better than OSX, you just have to define what you mean by better and that is always going to introduce an enormous amount of subjectivity.  Dismissing OSX as a toy compared to Windows is just as ludicrous as saying Windows is a toy compared to OSX.

Getting back to the point behind this thread.  It's just a group of people who think OSX is the better operating system and SONAR is the best DAW simply saying, wouldn't it be nice if we could have the best of both worlds.  Understandably, people who already believe they have the best of both worlds are concerned that porting SONAR to OSX would impact on them (and it probably would). 

However, it is all a mute point.  Noel has already said on this forum that it isn't going to happen - at least not until, for some reason, they decide it's time to completely rewrite SONAR (or whatever else they would then call it) from the ground up.

Celebrate reason, sleep in on Sundays
pjl
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 04:40:05 (permalink)
gothic.angel
2 - Just to let you rest assured, and stop speaking as you are the only one to have the knowledge... I Work as a computer technician in a BIG public company, and i deal with both Win & Mac... so I speak for direct experience... 
True regards.

Learn the difference between preference and fact.  Most of what you have said about Apple products is just plain ignorant.  So far, you have been the most biased person in this thread.  No rational person has a problem with you saying you prefer Windows to OSX but when you try to trash a good product because it suits your bias you just make yourself look stupid.

And yes, I do know what I'm talking about.  I'm not a "computer technician in a BIG public company", but I am a Professor of Informatics in a big public university.

gothic.angel
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 06:46:21 (permalink)
DonaldDuck

AT

;-)
AMEN!

.....DEFINITELY....!!!

They often seem to behave like "religious fundamentalists", as their "faith" get them to consider their "world" the "right one", so that anything "different" MUST be "wrong"...
Thus... they cannot/won't accept that good things exist somewhere else...

Of course it's JUST an analogy.... thankfully, we're talking of ephemere things here (...) ....

jackn2mpu
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 07:00:31 (permalink)
pjl

gothic.angel
True regards.

Learn the difference between preference and fact.  Most of what you have said about Apple products is just plain ignorant.  So far, you have been the most biased person in this thread.  No rational person has a problem with you saying you prefer Windows to OSX but when you try to trash a good product because it suits your bias you just make yourself look stupid.

And yes, I do know what I'm talking about.  I'm not a "computer technician in a BIG public company", but I am a Professor of Informatics in a big public university.

At last - a voice of reason in this thread. The thing is, though, that trying to be rational with gothic.angel is a losing proposition. If you look back over his posts (there aren't that many) you'll see he's been consistently the most biased anti-it's doesn't suit my views which are those of the most learned person on the planet and logic be damned person around. 'Computer tech in a big public company' - he probably is a stock boy for Best Buy or Staples.

Jack
Qapla!
jackn2mpu
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 07:03:05 (permalink)
gothic.angel

DonaldDuck

AT

;-)
AMEN!

.....DEFINITELY....!!!

They often seem to behave like "religious fundamentalists", as their "faith" get them to consider their "world" the "right one", so that anything "different" MUST be "wrong"...
Thus... they cannot/won't accept that good things exist somewhere else...

Of course it's JUST an analogy.... thankfully, we're talking of ephemere things here (...) ....

And you're NOT a religious fundamentalist for Microsoft?

Jack
Qapla!
gothic.angel
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 07:05:38 (permalink)
To pjl:

You may allow me to let you notice that my point was to clarify that it should be taken for granted that we ALL speak for personal experience/preference, as too many times we hear the "song" "you don't like Macs cause you don't use 'em, otherwise you'd love 'em"...
As it is (of course....) quite subjective, IT'S NOT TRUE:
There are people outh there who use/have used Macs and just DON'T LIKE them...!!!

Is it that hard to be accepted...?
I personaly would never insinuate there's "ignorance" in persons I don't really know.... as that would be the biggest ignorance of all... my dear "professor"...

Steve.

gothic.angel
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 07:18:42 (permalink)
jackn2mpu

...he probably is a stock boy for Best Buy or Staples...

...cant't you really see the point...?

If someone doesn't join your faith, than he must be wrong....
..If you knew my job... you and some "professors" would be silent for hours... but it is not MY point

I speak about OSes and Machines, and approach that generally people have towards them, sure, in my personal opinion...
...WHILE You make silly UNFAIR personal INSINUATIONS about the person (me).... which, I'm really sorry to notice, as you CAN'T know me...
...are the real IGNORANCE... that often makes people sort of "fundamentalists"...

As I dislike ANY sort of fundamentalism (ya see... I'm a gothic angel...),

...I wish you have a good day, man... I don't think you may deserve any further reply from me...

Regards, from Steve.
post edited by gothic.angel - 2010/08/02 07:32:54

jackn2mpu
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 07:30:53 (permalink)
gothic.angel

jackn2mpu

...he probably is a stock boy for Best Buy or Staples...

If someone don't join your faith, than he must be wrong....

You make silly UNFAIR personal insinuations about me.... which, I'm really sorry to notice, as you can't know me, are the real ignorance...
...that often make people sort of "fundamentalists"...

...I hope you have a good day, man... I don't think you deserve any further reply from me...

Steve.

If you had any reading comprehension skills at all and would come down off your high horse, you'd see I never said anything about Macs being a faith. Faith is a belief in things unseen - my (and other's use of Macs) is based on having used other operating systems and simply finding OSX better suited for the way we work. That is not faith but real world use.

Your 'logic' in the statement: " You make silly UNFAIR personal insinuations about me which, I'm really sorry to notice, as you can't know me, are the real ignorance that often make people sort of "fundamentalists"" doesn't make any sense. We do know you, or at least that part of you that appears in public by way of your posts, by the words you put down in writing here.  And that doesn't make us fundamentalist. You're the fundamentalist here. With you it's not your way or the highway - that would imply a choice and that's something you're against. It's your way and that's it.

Jack
Qapla!
gothic.angel
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 07:37:13 (permalink)
Sorry... you're opinions sound too biased to me...

...You don't even admit that we can't know each other... (!!!)

I won't reply any longer to that...

jackn2mpu
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 07:49:20 (permalink)
gothic.angel

Sorry... you're opinions sound too biased to me...

...You don't even admit that we can't know each other... (!!!)

I won't reply any longer to that...

Hey - I thought you weren't going to reply anymore to me? Anyways, why should I admit we can't know each other? As I pointed out in my previous post - we do know each other, and the rest of the posters here, by the words one posts on the forum. That's the first impression anyone gets of a person if not meeting them in person.

Jack
Qapla!
pjl
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 08:31:48 (permalink)
gothic.angel

To pjl:

You may allow me to let you notice that my point was to clarify that it should be taken for granted that we ALL speak for personal experience/preference, as too many times we hear the "song" "you don't like Macs cause you don't use 'em, otherwise you'd love 'em"...
As it is (of course....) quite subjective, IT'S NOT TRUE:
There are people outh there who use/have used Macs and just DON'T LIKE them...!!!

Is it that hard to be accepted...?
I personaly would never insinuate there's "ignorance" in persons I don't really know.... as that would be the biggest ignorance of all... my dear "professor"...

Steve.
I only know you from your posts and, if they are representative of who you are, then I have no trouble concluding that your are ignorant.  I have spent most of my professional life assessing peoples' knowledge and analytical abilities and I'm quite good at it.

pjl
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 08:44:15 (permalink)
gothic.angel

If someone doesn't join your faith, than he must be wrong....
..If you knew my job... you and some "professors" would be silent for hours... but it is not MY point

I speak about OSes and Machines, and approach that generally people have towards them, sure, in my personal opinion...
...WHILE You make silly UNFAIR personal INSINUATIONS about the person (me).... which, I'm really sorry to notice, as you CAN'T know me...
...are the real IGNORANCE... that often makes people sort of "fundamentalists"...

...I wish you have a good day, man... I don't think you may deserve any further reply from me...

Regards, from Steve.

You really don't get it do you?  You honestly don't have the basic analysis skills to see that you are the one with the bias.  All we are saying on this thread is that OSX is also good and we, personally, prefer it.  You are the one who obviously doesn't know enough about IT to be able make a rational assessment.  Go back and read your posts and come back and tell me you are not the most biased person in this thread - then I'll know I'm right about your ignorance.

If I really knew your job!?!  OK, impress me.  You are the one who declared yourself to be a computer technician.  That alone is no indication of any capacity for serious intellectual endeavour - and none of your posts so far have lead me to believe otherwise.

gothic.angel
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 11:36:51 (permalink)
pjl

... then I'll know I'm right about your ignorance.

If I really knew your job!?!  OK, impress me.  You are the one who declared yourself to be a computer technician.  That alone is no indication of any capacity for serious intellectual endeavour - and none of your posts so far have lead me to believe otherwise.
No, You DO NOT know, because you simply CAN'T... thus that's YOUR ignorance (in its literal meaning...)

by the way, I have NEITHER need NOR will to impress anybody... dear "professor"... it's you not "getting the point" here....

It was just an answer to the PRECONCEPTION that SOME Apple users show WHEN referring to somebody giving for granted they don't appreciate the "Mac World" because they don't know it....

Your (presumptuous) search for "indication of any capacity for serious intellectual endeavour" in all this question, is ridiculous and out of context...

You should have a bath of humility, professor...

jasonthurley
  • Total Posts : 264
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 11:56:16 (permalink)
This has gotten to be a pretty heated conversation........

I do have to say that you don't need to have bootcamp to run windows on a MAC... you can install Windows on the hard Drive and decide what you want to use (Apple OS or Windows OS) on boot up... this allows full processing and full power of your system without the "usage" of processing/RAM to have both MAC OS and Bootcam running.

Remember a computer is a computer... Motherboard/Hard drive/ Keyboard Mouse/etc and can be turned into whatever you want (A PC can run MAC OS and visa versa.....

So they don't need to make it for MAC..... just turn your MAC into a PC

Now with that said my personal opinion on the subject is that in which a MAC OS has a better performance rating as the extra programs that make windows... windows, are not running in the background.  MAC OS can get a virus bet it is extremely rare... windows is a virus haven....

So there are positives to being able to run Sonar within a MAC OS.

Have Fun
Storm
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 808
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 13:41:46 (permalink)
I actually buy a Mac for the more refined less-clunky computer than the OS and that's why SONAR is on it on a Bootcamp partition.

you can install Windows on the hard Drive and decide what you want to use (Apple OS or Windows OS) on boot up

Both? Together? Just pretend the files don't exist when you install? I need more info on that man. :)

I had a Dell laptop for working on SONAR when traveling. Heavy, clunky, noisy, etc. I got a MBP. Sleek, clean, quiet, light, etc.. If one PC maker decided to actually build a good solid light computer, I'd buy it for SONAR.
jasonthurley
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 13:48:29 (permalink)
Storm

I actually buy a Mac for the more refined less-clunky computer than the OS and that's why SONAR is on it on a Bootcamp partition.

you can install Windows on the hard Drive and decide what you want to use (Apple OS or Windows OS) on boot up

Both? Together? Just pretend the files don't exist when you install? I need more info on that man. :)

You actually decide to run Windows or MAC OS, not both... the files are still there but the drive is separated into MAC side/ Windows side (You can decide how much space to allocate to each partition... If your using an external hard drive for samples/audio files/plugins you can just switch from MAC OS then exit MAC OS and switch to Windows.

You can also have 2 drives and then just tell your computer which one to boot from by going into BIOS at startup.

There are a lot of options and Apple nor Windows want you to understand that it is the same hardware components and can be configured to operate any OS. It's all about the bread($$)

I posted a link that has the EXACT procedure in the forums somewhere.. I will try and located it again.

jasonthurley
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/08/02 13:55:41 (permalink)
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1